https://twitter.com/desiboho/status/112 ... 65152?s=19
The Modi govt is being dissed for being "anti women" by liberals. Here's a thread on all the progressive initiatives of this govt that have directly or indirectly helped and will help Indian women across regions, religions and income levels in the last 5 years and times to come.
1)Triple Talaq Bill: Earlier Muslim men could instantly end a marriage leaving the wives helpless, often with multiple children and no support. The Modi Govt formulated a bill that makes this in any form - oral/implied - illegal and void, with upto 3 yrs in jail for the husband
2) Beti Padhaao Beti Bachao Campaign: aims at prevention of gender biased sex selective elimination, ensuring survival, protection & education of the girl child.Multiple volunteers go around small towns & villages & a plethora of short films/ads have been made to create awareness
3) Under Swachh Bharat, the govt has built 9~ crore toilets in rural & semi rural areas. Earlier women who had no toilets at home had to travel far for one or defecate in the open. The number of toilets is steadily increasing & program has been lauded around the world.
4) Under the Ujjwala scheme, women @ a certain income level get free LPG connections doing away with the "Chulha" which is a health hazard & has caused around 5 lacs death in India so far. Around 7 crore LPG connections have been handed out so far.
5) The BJP/NDA cabinet has as many as 8 women, even at such high profile (and hitherto male dominated ) positions as Defense Minister and Ministry of External Affairs, (1st time a woman has taken these) as well as 3 women Supreme Court Judges. This is unprecedented for any govt.
6) The Mahila Uddyami Scheme is a special feature of the successful Mudra Yojna that provides hassle-free loan to women entrepreneurs in MSE segment. Almost 8/10 accounts opened for people availing of loans of less than Rs 50,000 were for women. https://t.co/eHTN6MM5p0
7) In Sept 2018, the Supreme Court declared the regressive section 377 that penalises gay sex as unconstitutional, there was no opposition from any in the BJP, unlike some previous years when it was opposed by Congress. #LGBTQ folks support this govt.
The Maternity Benefit Amendment Act passed in 2017 has increased the duration of paid maternity leave available for women employees from the existing 12 weeks to 26 weeks, including adoptive and commissioning mothers. https://t.co/A6Zxl7vbvh
9) Under Startup India scheme, women entrepreneurs can avail high funding amounts, loans at a lower interest, lower taxes, as well regular programmes that give free access to safe coworking spaces and award women in business. https://t.co/uUXZahQgG9
11) Women sitting in on their Macbooks & iPhones in South Bombay circles are as far removed from reality on the ground as possible. I've attended political rallies this election season, spoken to maids, small street vendors about who's done good work for them and answer is one https://t.co/cBkdpqLJCj
11) And yes this should be the Twitter favourite, when MJ Akbar, a BJP minister was one of the #MeToo accused, he was made to step down immediately from his position. Unlike Siddharth Bhatia & Vinod Dua both of Modi-hating @Thewire_in who continue to thrive today.
13) Women buyers get preference under PMAY scheme (lower interest rates & stamp duty waiver for women) to encourage women home buyers. https://t.co/iYoBOIyKZD
Thanks @pujaj2008 for the hat tip.
•2018 : India got its first all Women SWAT Force– 36 Women Commandos from Northeast India.
•2018: Sainik Schools across the country opened admissions for Girls.
• 2019: Indian Army opens vacancies for women to serve in Corps of Military Police.
15) On March 8, 2018, the govt launched ‘Suvidha’ - oxo-biodegradable sanitary pads and will be made available in packs of 4, priced at Rs. 2.50 per pad. They will be found across 586 Indian districts, at Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi centres. https://t.co/qBs5NtBh4k
16) Under the maternity benefit scheme announced on Jan 2017, women below the poverty line to get Rs. 6000 for delivery of a baby to aid in post care and health diet.https://t.co/25xsxBxyXt
17) Over 50% of the 30cr bank accounts opened under the Jan Dhan Yojana since 2014 belong to women. The scheme aims at equipping the poor with bank accounts with benefits like 1lac insurance cover, no min balance, interest on deposits, ease of use, loans. https://t.co/r0JPYlXgGi
18) And as many people pointed out, NONE of these schemes or initiatives are named after Modi or any of the ministries under whom they fall. Compare this with all the "Gandhi" Yojanas. Heck even in the US, they had Obamacare.