2019 General Elections News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: 2019 General Elections News and Discussion

Post by Singha »

#RenukaJain Chowkidar
@RenukaJain6
Follow Follow @RenukaJain6
More
Big applause to our judiciary

It may be the first time in India that Anticipatory Bail will be granted to Chidambaram for 25th time in row, completing a SILVER JUBILEE of Bail.
Chidambaram riding on Bail Gaadi

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Prasanna Viswanathan

Verified account
@prasannavishy
15h15 hours ago
More
Despite the scale of destruction and potential challenges in R&R work, remarkable how Odisha is going about it with a sense of purpose+dignity.
No abusing army/govt. No exaggerated victimhood. No troll army abusing other ethnicities. No cutouts like ‘We luv Sheikh for 600 cr’
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

So, rNDTV reporting 21 opposition parties are planning to meet the president after poll to request not to call single largest party to prove majority.

Hmmm, so are they sure after 5 phases that even NDA will not get majority!?
khatvaanga
BRFite

Post by khatvaanga »

ramana wrote:I would suggest to acquire a Gutrgoo account and post the original idea there and link it in Twitter.
there seems to be some issue with being anon on Gutrgoo.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Lilo wrote:Which is why TrueIndology was booted off Twitter , precisely because he was directly countering these worms.
Anyway we now have his example & inspiration to counter these distorians in our own individual way.
Yes I realized that when he literally referred to TrueIndology and claimed they're buddies and how they respect one another yada yada. I bet the latter has something quite different to say.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

ramana wrote: A few remarkable things about that report. its by AP which is Associated Press and headlined from Delhi.
Its about the Boeing bribe for the 3 Boeing 737s purchased for Indian Airlines.
the amount is close to a $1M with exchange rate in those days of 11 rupees to the $.
Off course this pales in comparison to the Bofors a few years later.
To its interesting that a Uty of Michigan school paper decided to print the story in its newspaper in the early 1980s.
U Mich, Ann Arbor has a very good Political Science department.

Wonder who were on the editorial board and served as advisers to the paper at that time?
Turns out that this was also posted in the Boston Globe on September 11, 1977.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/436306807/
Snehashis
BRFite

Post by Snehashis »

chetak wrote:
Snehashis wrote:
Fixed it. Also Chetak posted it correctly.
sorry, bro.

no offense intended. :)
None taken. Just mentioned to save the trouble / time / data from duplicate viewing. :)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

abhijitm wrote:So, rNDTV reporting 21 opposition parties are planning to meet the president after poll to request not to call single largest party to prove majority.

Hmmm, so are they sure after 5 phases that even NDA will not get majority!?
Well if the opposition thinks they will have the numbers then the single largest party will not be able to prove majority will it? In that case what is the need to go to the president? More nautanki that's all. President Kovind isn't going to give heed to this nonsense.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Snehashis wrote:Public reaction after Narendra Modi's "Bhrashtachari No.1" comment on Rajiv Gandhi

Statutory Warning : Do not watch this video if you are a Congress supporter. :rotfl:

OMG! People are opening up Nehru Jeep scandal too :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

People are even remembering terrorist victims, sikh victims and sardarji is destroying CON scums

yeh kya ho raha hain? People are becoming so smart.

PAPPU/PAPPINI ka band ho raha hain. They are calling him hijra

Modiji's unbelievable political acumen has to be applauded
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Dr Praveen Patil

@5Forty3
When BJP sweeps UP as the numbers now suggest, hope @narendramodi will have a special interaction with "Labharthi Pramukhs" who manage 10-12 booths each.
Tremendous efforts by each one of them!

Dr Praveen Patil

@5Forty3

Dr Praveen Patil Retweeted Dr Praveen Patil
Don't think it would be wrong to say that that there is a mini #LabharthiWave in Uttar Pradesh, getting more pronounced as election travels from the west to the east.
Guess it is difficult to visualize this from AC rooms of Dilli!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

PP is getting carried away treating this election as done and dusted. It seems to be just one hugely optimistic tweet after another. On May 23 he will either be hailed as a rockstar or have massive egg on his face from which recovery is impossible. His fortunes are tied with the political fortunes of the NDA at this point.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

vijayk, Apparently Congress is going to approach SC on Rajiv Gandhi comments by NaMo.
I don't know the basis but some argument can be made.
And there are enough people to claim Delhi HC removed his name from accused after his death.

Tha'ts the process usually. Doesn't mean accused becomes innocent.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Ever time PP comes up with these predictions my BP goes up. Seems like too good to be true.

BTW from youtube comment:
Rahul
Day 1:pm chor he
Day 10: pm chor he
Day 100:pm chor he
PM: tera bap chor he
Rahul: mummy mummy speaking bad about daddy
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Suraj wrote:It's probably on most peoples' blind spot, but the the lout Will Dalrymple has a very active ongoing whitewashing of Babur in process on Twitter over the last few days. His messaging is polished with sufficient deniability embedded ("it's not whitewashing, here I've thrown in some bad words about him") as well as overt political messaging focused on setting a message about the Babri Mosque:
https://twitter.com/DalrympleWill/statu ... 5369400322
"If you mention Babur on twitter a million sanghis pop up to say Babur was a terrorist jihadi... In fact he never uses the word Allah, prefering the term Tengri- the sky deity worshipped by steppe peoples. According to his biographer Stephen Dale, "Babur scarcely refers to Islam.""
I've screenshot the post in case he edits or deletes it.

Why is this important in this thread ? Two reasons:
a) Active preparations are being made against further forward movement on the Ayodhya structure
b) a foreigner is actively involved in political messaging while on a visa
I am blocked by this cunt on twitter, even though I have never called him names, only questioned another reasonable British historian. My immediate reaction on seeing this was that its 2019, and the Brits still havent learnt to respect the political choices of Indians and use dehumanizing pejoratives such as 'Sanghi'.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Karan M wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:Did you guys see the Pranoy Roy carrying mic to a village and interviewing a girl? The girl was speaking from a mugged script.
Didnt see that but what surprised me is Pranoy Roy appeared to be struggling to speak in basic Hindi with the Yadavs at their residence and quickly shifted to English. Wow. Pretty surprising.
Why is this surprising? His type is the prime reason why Indian elite are linguistic cripples and can not frame an articulate, grammatically correct sentence to save their lives. I dont look down on any one based on language, but I do look down on people who cant articulate their thoughts in their mother tongue or any other language of their choice.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Well to be fair Hindi is not his mother tongue (his mother was Irish). But since it is Prannoy Roy we are talking about he'll probably struggle to talk in his father-tongue Bengali too :lol: All Indian languages are "uncool" for our anglophone Lutyens and SoBo elite.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

sudeepj wrote:I am blocked by this cunt on twitter, even though I have never called him names, only questioned another reasonable British historian. My immediate reaction on seeing this was that its 2019, and the Brits still havent learnt to respect the political choices of Indians and use dehumanizing pejoratives such as 'Sanghi'.
I'm not interested in fighting him online. I'm interested in finding out who sponsors his extended stays in India, and what visa terms he resides in India under, that lets him own property and spend the better part of the year in a country where he's neither a citizen nor an OCI; he's been doing this for 25 years now.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ramana wrote:vijayk, Apparently Congress is going to approach SC on Rajiv Gandhi comments by NaMo.
I don't know the basis but some argument can be made.
And there are enough people to claim Delhi HC removed his name from accused after his death.

Tha'ts the process usually. Doesn't mean accused becomes innocent.
Moron PAPPU keeps calling Modi a CHOR, 30000 cr kind of lies.

ANyone can call anyone corrupt. That's politics. No one complained about it. BJP's complaint is RG is spreading a lie that SC called Chowkidar chor hain which is contempt of court

Modi called Mr. Clean is Corrupt #1. That is the perception I also have. Who is SC to rule for or against it?

BJP should include this video as evidence of public opinion of Mr. Clean and the dynasty

fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Btw in some today speech - Pappu was alleging Modi goes and salutes Anil Ambani, but that was not the most breaking news. Anil Ambani has returned 10,000 carore to Modi. Today he said, Modi gave bees hajar carore to Ambani, down from tees hajar carore that he used to allege. Modi ji suddenly has 10,000 carore more.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

I really wish CJI puts Prashant Bhushan, PAPPU into 5 day jail for contempt of the court. Prashant Bhushan has been orchestrating the whole sexual harassment and he got there because he was submitting fake evidence, threats judges and blackmails them. They never took action and this is the result. What are they afraid of?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

sudeepj wrote:
Karan M wrote:
Didnt see that but what surprised me is Pranoy Roy appeared to be struggling to speak in basic Hindi with the Yadavs at their residence and quickly shifted to English. Wow. Pretty surprising.
Why is this surprising? His type is the prime reason why Indian elite are linguistic cripples and can not frame an articulate, grammatically correct sentence to save their lives. I dont look down on any one based on language, but I do look down on people who cant articulate their thoughts in their mother tongue or any other language of their choice.
@Sudeep, Nachiket,

Still shocked to see how the stereotypical elite is so disassociated with real India, that he couldn't handle speaking even a handful of sentences in local lingua franca. I mean, not just Hindi, you need to know whatever language is common, where you grew up at, could be whichever local language. And he couldn't handle Hindi, despte growing up in the north (I presume?). :shock:
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

#Ispeakhindibetterthanprannoy
khatvaanga
BRFite

Post by khatvaanga »

Shahul Hameed

https://twitter.com/ShahulAhm/status/11 ... 3787248642
UP in Lok Sabha 2019 seems to be a carbon copy election of UP Vidhan Sabha 2017

- Then it was Uri + Demonetization + Ujjwala
- Now Balakot + Reservations for EWS + PM-KISAN + PM Awaas

only more vigour and more traction
looks more and more like what PP been saying. Savvyasaachi also mentioned same thing.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

khatvaanga wrote:Shahul Hameed

https://twitter.com/ShahulAhm/status/11 ... 3787248642
UP in Lok Sabha 2019 seems to be a carbon copy election of UP Vidhan Sabha 2017

- Then it was Uri + Demonetization + Ujjwala
- Now Balakot + Reservations for EWS + PM-KISAN + PM Awaas

only more vigour and more traction
looks more and more like what PP been saying. Savvyasaachi also mentioned same thing.
Even Rana Ayyub is saying the same thing.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

:D When I saw the video of public opinion on Rajiv corrupt #1, I am like oh yeah … the public are super sexy smart janta and PP is so right. I come here and depressed and in fear
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Karan M wrote:
Still shocked to see how the stereotypical elite is so disassociated with real India, that he couldn't handle speaking even a handful of sentences in local lingua franca. I mean, not just Hindi, you need to know whatever language is common, where you grew up at, could be whichever local language. And he couldn't handle Hindi, despte growing up in the north (I presume?). :shock:
Not the least bit shocked. In SoBo, I doubt most folks know beyond "Bhaiyya Mercedes nikaalo". There are many who don't speak anything aside from English, and perhaps spatterings of French/Italian/German/flavour of the month Euro language. Whatever Hindi or Marathi was forced up on them in high school was left there, never to be brought out again.
The only ones who speak their native languages tend to be folks with grand parents still alive. In that case you will see a reasonable good command over Gujarati, Marathi, Sindhi etc.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Karan M wrote: @Sudeep, Nachiket,

I've come across a few of these jackasses during college days in Mumbai. Speaking in English during conversations when everyone else was speaking in Hindi. We used to make fun of their fake American accents and phrasing that sounded quite comical to everyone but themselves. Unfortunately, their numbers have only increased since my days.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

I am hearing Mamta has done really well in the last phase of WB? Is this true?
Skanda
BRFite

Post by Skanda »

Congress versus BJP | Should SC intervene over alleged EC bias?
Link contains a video where a super aggressive BJP spokie counters a Congress spokie hosted by an HT journalist. I wish more of these guys come out in NDTV instead of the tired old BJP spokies.
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

Suraj wrote:It's probably on most peoples' blind spot, but the the lout Will Dalrymple has a very active ongoing whitewashing of Babur in process on Twitter over the last few days. His messaging is polished with sufficient deniability embedded ("it's not whitewashing, here I've thrown in some bad words about him") as well as overt political messaging focused on setting a message about the Babri Mosque:
https://twitter.com/DalrympleWill/statu ... 5369400322
"If you mention Babur on twitter a million sanghis pop up to say Babur was a terrorist jihadi... In fact he never uses the word Allah, prefering the term Tengri- the sky deity worshipped by steppe peoples. According to his biographer Stephen Dale, "Babur scarcely refers to Islam.""
I've screenshot the post in case he edits or deletes it.

Why is this important in this thread ? Two reasons:
a) Active preparations are being made against further forward movement on the Ayodhya structure
b) a foreigner is actively involved in political messaging while on a visa
He seems to say the mosque is not connected to the Babur. Isn't that the main takeaway?
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Post Gengiz Khan (he/his tribe believed in Tengri), when the mongol empire broke up into several sub-domains, all of them adopted the local religions, namely Islam and Buddhism. Either Golden Horder, or the Ilkhanates, whoever ruled over Bukhara, were 100% Muslims. At one point, Babar who used to drink wine, quit it in the name of Allah so that he could win battles (he wasn't perform well prior to that). This is written in Babarnama.

https://persian.packhum.org/main
(Search for 'The Memoirs of Babur')
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Suraj wrote:#Ispeakhindibetterthanprannoy
That will be held against you in the NDTV crowd. :lol:
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Lok Sabha Elections 2019: Musings from my election tourism in Uttar Pradesh
Overall, one has to judge by putting all the factors — the welfare, the narrative, the alliances and the machinery — together.

While I would want to resist the temptation of making a seat prediction, from what is visible on the ground, it seems to be a clear 'advantage Modi'.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

From Bofors to 'Brashtachari', Indian politics changed under Narendra Modi. Rahul Gandhi is perhaps the last to know
Mr Modi is known to choose his words with care. So this could not have been a casual off-the-cuff statement. A look at the clip of his speech would show he took time to train his gun on the target like a consummate shooter before firing the salvo — and the response of the crowd leaves no doubt that it hit the bull’s eye in the first shot.
The legendary Jyoti Basu once famously said after his party cadre were accused of violence, “If they pelt stones at us, do you expect us to reciprocate with Rosogollas?” It might be instructive for the Congress and Rahul Gandhi’s cheerleaders to pause for a moment and reflect on what would be have been the reaction of one of their friends or allies, like Mayawati, Lalu, Mulayam or Mamata, if similar accusations were hurled against them.

It is hard to imagine any of these earthy leaders would have been more subtle or polite than Narendra Modi. So, in a perverted way, it is truly “Karma” at play — where one reaps as one sows.

That era, when ordinary folk from humble origins were shy of answering back to royalty, is long gone. Now, they give back as good as they get — not just in politics but in every walk of life, as it ought to be in a democracy. In an egalitarian society, no one should pull rank or family title even at the workplace. As a country, we may not be there yet totally, but certainly, there is no premium on feudalism any more.

One of the biggest changes Modi has brought about (somewhat inconspicuously) is systematically demolishing the culture of “entitlement” with one of “empowerment” — especially among the youth. That is why, while the commentariat may be shocked and aghast at the perceived “coarseness” of Narendra Modi’s attack on Rahul Gandhi, his supporters seem to not only approve, but are also rejoicing over the rejoinder.

That is where Rahul Gandhi’s advisers may have made an error in judgement. They were right in telling the boss “a clean image” was Modi’s biggest asset. But they probably did not warn him that Narendra Modi is no Rajiv Gandhi — so, to do a Bofors on Modi may be fraught with the risk of backfire.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I'll quote something else in that article, because I've seen the same thing paraphrased by half a dozen different sources now. including MSM folks like Sagarika Ghose and Rana Ayyub who went out into the heartland themselves. Others who have stated this same thing, are PP, Chintamani and another twitter handle who I can't recall but is pro-INC viewpoint:
People in the remotest part of the country (for example, a family staying in the middle of a small agricultural field on the outskirts of a remote village in the most backward Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh) believe that Modi is doing his best for the poor. Never mind if some of the schemes have not reached them. Either they have seen others in their village/neighbourhood benefit from those schemes, and if that is also not the case, they believe that the poor at large in the country must be benefitting.

They blame the local administration or their village pradhan/sarpanch/ mukhiya for any shortcomings — and not Modi.

The image of being a single man who has committed his life to the nation, and someone who has seen poverty up and close, only adds to this narrative.
IMHO, this sentiment is something we discount here, because probably no one on this forum has been amongst the poor and destitute. That's not to claim everyone here's a SoBo type, but we have generally not collectively known desperate poverty. As a result, we cannot gauge how they feel. We are aware of his expressed sincerity. We may admire it, but we are not personally connected to it.

Now, you can be a Modi supporter and appreciate this broad sentiment, or you can be a Modi opponent and find it unfortunate thinking that he's a fraudster conning people.

When you look at it from this perspective, RaGa's on the message 'chor hai' quote makes sense. It's designed to cultivate the expanded belief that Modi too, like the sarpanch or mukhiya, is a chor . However, the converse is that, if there's no traction for those words, it fuels an even greater resentment against those namecalling him, tilting even more fence sitters into the Modi camp, creating a silent wave.

I call it silent, because it's not an incumbency driven response. Rather, it's a visceral personal response to being offended by the poor characterization of someone the voter holds dear in their belief of his sincerety. In such situations, voters don't angrily complain, as they might when something wasn't delivered as promised. Instead they go out and punish the namecallers at the ballot machine.

Is that what's happening ? Maybe. I don't know, but the sentiment is being repeatedly stated by too many people, not just on one side of the political spectrum.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

ramana wrote:
ShyamSP wrote:
VC is below Shri Swamy's qualification. Swamy should be given Education/HR/culture combined ministry with charter of cleaning up education and culture in India. He and Rajiv Malhotra make good pair to take psec crowd both legally and intellectually head on, based on what I gather from comments and opinions in their interviews with each other. Next term he should be seriously given in the cabinet and challenge him on some thing and put his energy and intellect for good use of the country.
Do you seriously think so?
SuSwa and RM are the biggest ego maniacs and worse have an Iagoain streak.
As for the last line time and again SuSwa has been found wanting.
Their ideas are good for country benefit. Challenging on implementing them puts lid of egos of any one (most politicians are with full of egos anyway otherwise they can't sustain). If he fails he can eat words and retreat and it will show he can't walk the talk. Heavy surgical strike is needed to cleanup ecosystem of poisoned education and culture (Of course in the long-term parivar parent approach of building society is way to go but it is a generational approach with many cycles of ups and downs). Anyway my point was in response to your comment on him being made VC of DU. One University clean up is not going to help unless you attack the root-cause. He is much more than being a VC barring any ego you're alluding.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

SuSa should be made in charge of HRD and say "Clear the mess in NCERT/Univ etc.". Tell him "No one else but you can do". Let left loonies attack him. He will destroy them.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

These two articles make the case that UP is pro-Modi.

What tough election? A Modi wave will sweep Uttar Pradesh. Here's why I say so
https://www.dailyo.in/politics/narendra ... 30541.html

Lok Sabha Elections 2019: Musings from my election tourism in Uttar Pradesh
https://www.dailyo.in/politics/lok-sabh ... 30558.html
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Suraj wrote: IMHO, this sentiment is something we discount here, because probably no one on this forum has been amongst the poor and destitute. That's not to claim everyone here's a SoBo type, but we have generally not collectively known desperate poverty. As a result, we cannot gauge how they feel. We are aware of his expressed sincerity. We may admire it, but we are not personally connected to it.
Not sure what is SoBo, but I think I know what you mean. In Indira Gandhi's time, I recall that she was viscerally popular among humble folk because they felt that she was "a good person who cared about poor people." That, just because of her "garibi hatao" slogan, and not for anything concrete that she did for the poor.

Back in that day, poverty was so rife and poor were so full of despair, that, even a simple show of attention and sympathy from Indira Gandhi brought forth a deep wellspring of gratitude and love towards her, and Cong(I) rode to riches and power, with that sentiment as engine. That is where the Congress-Gandhi family relationship was established and took shape. (Remember, even in Nehru's time, though Congress was dominant, there was plenty of healthy skepticism among Congress party members about Nehru's leadership, and same holds true for Indira Gandhi till the '71 general and '72 state elections, when Congress leaders were stunned by Indira's ability to win elections singlehandedly.)

In 2019, are people still in such a state that they will feel deep love for a leader who is seen to be caring for them and working for them, when honestly, all they are doing is fulfilling the minimum requirements of their job? It would seem so, from the article.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

SoBo = south Bombay, a planet far far away...
KLMMurthy wrote:Not sure what is SoBo, but I think I know what you mean. In Indira Gandhi's time, I recall that she was viscerally popular among humble folk because they felt that she was "a good person who cared about poor people." That, just because of her "garibi hatao" slogan, and not for anything concrete that she did for the poor.
There's a major difference between the connect of the poor to any member of the Nehru clan and to Modi - he was poor like them, and has no history of having built any political dynasty. Lots of politicians come from poor backgrounds, but most turn into just regular politicians, who either forget what it was like to be poor and what was desperately needed then, or remember that in the context of how he can manipulate them as a captive votebank with some election time freebies.

Handouts and benefits by political decision are normal. But what Modi's done is offer poor people things they really need on a day to day basis, not just to survive but to move up. The things offered are things chosen by someone who knows what are immediately needed. It's a testament to failure of delivery that the makan part of roti-kapda-makan remains one of the primary benefits (PMAY) under Modi's expanded set of benefits programs. Both the RKM / Garibi Hatao and bank nationalization actions date back to 1971, but near ubiquitous banking inclusion didn't happen until PMJDY.

This interesting story published in 2014 is worth a re-read.