2019 General Elections News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Re: 2019 General Elections News and Discussion

Post by Suraj »

sudeepj wrote:This is absurd.. Its the JOB of the Electoral Commission to ensure that free and fair elections take place and electioneering is an integral part of elections. Ram Nath Kovind should go ahead and place WB under presidents rule now because the state police is filled with TMC cadres and is not listening to the ECI.
As far as I'm aware. President's rule cannot be applied in the middle of an election while MCC is in place . Only after May 23 can any such actions be considered. ECI's failure to handle the escalating violence and damage to the voting process in WB, is a problem that cannot be fixed by means other than demanding greater accountability on their part - perhaps through judicial petitioning.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Is anyone keeping a watch on Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena....hope they dont go the Gadkari "compromise candidate" way...this news is becoming more and more common....not sure what happened in the last phase of the GE 2019 that everyone has become conservative on BJP's chances of getting ~250
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

ECI is not geared to handle such crisis and operationally prepared to take decisions. This is basically handful of people outsourcing short term executives from every nook and corner of government departments. This is an exhaustive and tiring election they forced on to themselves. When election goes for months these things bound to happen. Next time EC should come up with much more efficient plan. You have 5 more years, plan it, budget it, implement it. 1.5 months of election should not acceptable.
Last edited by abhijitm on 16 May 2019 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Manu wrote:Is anyone keeping a watch on Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena....hope they dont go the Gadkari "compromise candidate" way...this news is becoming more and more common....not sure what happened in the last phase of the GE 2019 that everyone has become conservative on BJP's chances of getting ~250
This has been a concern for some time. Nitish can succumb to the moneybags coming from MGB, who are bankrolled by BIF.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

@rahulkanwal
Following Following @rahulkanwal
More
Basically @AmitShah is King Kong. And nobody knows how to organise an election in quite the same way as the BJP President. Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikander. Many congratulations to the BJP. This is one heck of a performance. Path to victory in 2019 just became a lot easier.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

abhijitm wrote:ECI is not geared to handle such crisis and operationally prepared to take decisions. This is basically handful of people outsourcing short term executives from every nook and corner of government departments. This is an exhaustive and tiring election they forced on to themselves. When election goes for months these things bound to happen. Next time EC should come up with much more efficient plan. You have 5 more years, plan it, budget it, implement it. 1.5 months of election is not acceptable by any means. {deleted original}
I would not criticize ECI with broad brushes.

First of all, think of entire population of US, Brazil, Indonesia & Germany is eligible to vote. Such a democratic exercise by 1/5th of humanity has never ever been attempted before in the history of humankind.

Yes, so far this is the largest ever democratic exercise in the history of humankind It is as epochal as going to Moon.

Second, there is always room for improvement. Like simultaneous elections for state and central. This was mooted several times by PM. Why are other parties opposing it?

Third, 1.5 months is a short time. In the other democracy, elections are generally done over a 2 year process.

Fourth, ECI is stretched thin because its MCC needs to be tuned. It should not worry about "speech" but must worry about "violence". It is okay if I can circulate a meme of Maomata, but booth capturing must never be tolerated. That is, ECI should learn to pick its battles.

My criticisms of ECI are as follows:

1. They need to be clear on which battles they are going to pick.
2. They need an independent tribunal to triage all issues. And classify issues and act on it swiftly.
3. ECI is constitutionally independent body and can have its own funding and recruitment. It should have its own research body as well. And its own university.

All wannabe democracies can come to the ECI universities to learn due process on election conduct.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Manish_Sharma wrote:It's not about your or my belief, its what familia & coterie believes and strategise around that belief
Fair. I get your point now, you were providing the POV of La Familia.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Manu wrote:Is anyone keeping a watch on Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena....hope they dont go the Gadkari "compromise candidate" way...this news is becoming more and more common....not sure what happened in the last phase of the GE 2019 that everyone has become conservative on BJP's chances of getting ~250
The people pushing the Gadkari as "compromise candidate" narrative are the same ones who started pushing for Advani instead of Modi right before 2014 (after deriding him as a intolerant Hindoo nationalist who brought down Babri masjid for most of their careers). None of this is actually coming from any NDA allies. Please learn to recognize propaganda and misinformation.

Also if the MGB seems closer to 272 than the NDA some of these allies may very well split and join them. But this has nothing to do with Modi or Gadkari, just the nature of politics in India.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

IndraD wrote:@rahulkanwal
Following Following @rahulkanwal
More
Basically @AmitShah is King Kong. And nobody knows how to organise an election in quite the same way as the BJP President. Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikander. Many congratulations to the BJP. This is one heck of a performance. Path to victory in 2019 just became a lot easier.
Can't find this tweet.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Suraj wrote:
abhijitm wrote:{deleted}
This is really unfortunate language to use on a forum like this. First rule of being a member here is that you don't piss upon your own country to make your argument.

It seems people take it for granted that the elections will be held smoothly all over. That's not really possible everywhere. The electorate is 900 million people. The population of this planet is 7000 million. The Indian electorate is larger than the next dozen or so democracies combined.

Don't use such language against the country while venting your own frustration. I suggest you edit your post.
Edited. Note that intention was not to piss upon own country. It is a criticism on an institution who can improve its own efficiency. I still think that the current efficiency does not bode well to the status of India. I believe the delay is more on logistical efficiency than the size of country or electorate, and there is scope for improvement.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

abhijitm wrote:Edited. Note that intention was not to piss upon own country. It is a criticism on an institution who can improve its own efficiency. I still think that the current efficiency does not bode well to the status of India. I believe the delay is more on logistical efficiency than the size of country or electorate, and there is scope for improvement.
The point is that you do not mock your own country to make a criticism. Thank you for removing the content, and I have cleaned up.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Sorry that tweet of Rahul Kamwal from 2018 . Today a suddenly cong plus mahathug looking resurgent .. on msm & SM .. some new optics at play?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
darshan wrote: ...Similar to cataloging all the Hindu temples and places being destroyed.
Where does Hindu go to get statistics on slow genocides?
Buy:
1. Hindu Temples: What Happened to Them Volume 1

2. Hindu Temples: What Happened to Them Volume 1 Volume 2

3. The Story of Islamic Imperialism in India https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sto ... m_in_India

4. How I became a Hindu

5. Heroic Hindu Resistance to Muslim Invaders (636 AD to 1206 AD)

By Shri Sita Ram Goel

Buy them, read them, gift them
Appreciate the suggestion. I already have them and that's what led me to make comment on such a line of thoughts. However, I'm not aware of any active efforts of such cataloging going on in recent times. Essentially, my comments were in hope to create tools that next generation of Goels can utilize to collect more information. Going back to my example of small time regional newspaper that doesn't have lot of budget to archive all such information and there are many who probably run into this information but don't print it for various reasons.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
darshan wrote: ...Similar to cataloging all the Hindu temples and places being destroyed. When we loose that information, it's hard to make a case about Hindu genocides occurring in slow time. For example, I'm sure that my local town paper that used to have few reports per week about acid throwing, abductions, etc. would probably never make it to statistics as they never archived papers.

Where does Hindu go to get statistics on slow genocides?
Buy:
1. Hindu Temples: What Happened to Them Volume 1

2. Hindu Temples: What Happened to Them Volume 1 Volume 2

3. The Story of Islamic Imperialism in India https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sto ... m_in_India

4. How I became a Hindu

5. Heroic Hindu Resistance to Muslim Invaders (636 AD to 1206 AD)

By Shri Sita Ram Goel

Buy them, read them, gift them

Good advice, been doing that since Dec 6, 1992. There are many more of course.

For those who are naturally wary of such stuff coming from Indian (Hindu) sources, I always recommend M.A. Khan's 'Islamic Jihad' (Amazon and elsewhere). The first five pages are enough to open your eyes. It works very well when you have a Western audience or the youngsters in the family brought up in the West.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

abhijitm wrote:ECI is not geared to handle such crisis and operationally prepared to take decisions. This is basically handful of people outsourcing short term executives from every nook and corner of government departments. This is an exhaustive and tiring election they forced on to themselves. When election goes for months these things bound to happen. Next time EC should come up with much more efficient plan. You have 5 more years, plan it, budget it, implement it. 1.5 months of election should not acceptable.
They spread it out in the first place because they wanted to keep sufficient forces available to deal with all contingencies. 2014 elections were held in 9 phases, spread over 36 days. So this time, the time was not inordinately more.

Problem is, in many states, the coercive machinery of the state is thoroughly co-opted. This happened in Bihar, UP, and now Bengal. Numerous IAS/IPS and 'promotee IAS/IPS' officers who were posted in these states are now in jail. Some were famously promoted even by Time magazine, today they are in jail for corruption amounting to thousands of crores! :-D

One solution can be an expansion of the EC officer corps to include officers experienced in policing and for these officers to take over policing in problem states. Also, why do 'central forces' mean a CRPF jawan with a lathi and insas standing in the booth? Why does it not include drone patrolling? Since this is not over enemy areas, commercial drones can be used.

The voting machines also need to be enhanced. Numerous cases were reported where some goon would accompany a voter and force them to push a particular button. Perhaps a wide-angle camera needs to be installed on the machine itself that can record all hanky panky (just not the vote being cast). In case there are complaints, the recording can be checked. A simple 480i webcam type module will not cost more than Rs.2000 to integrate.

There is also a complaint that goons simply prevent villages from a particular profile from voting. This again needs some innovative solutions. Time is ripe for a second coming of Sheshan..
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So why is Sonia Gandhi inviting TRS, TDP and YCP leaders to meet he in Delhi?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ramana wrote:So why is Sonia Gandhi inviting TRS, TDP and YCP leaders to meet he in Delhi?
Getting ready to form super maha-thugbandhan in case NDA falls just short of majority, would be my guess. They will need pretty much everybody to make the numbers.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

ramana wrote:So why is Sonia Gandhi inviting TRS, TDP and YCP leaders to meet he in Delhi?
TDP, INC, and other 22 parties were all buddied up before elections to bring non-NDA government down.
KCR may be sensing NDA will not come or want to play spoiler in case NDA is short so went to Stalinidhi who in turn referred him to Rahul Mata.
YCP like Jesus forgave Italian.

While Rahul baba is all acting cool kid * without any anger issues, his mommy may be worried about his abilities to create new UPAiaso.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_RhNbdrmE (The print interview - don't open if you don't want to increase view count)

If Hindi belt dents BJP, there is no filling and NDA needs support of outside-NDA parties. In such scenario Non-NDA side should rope in parties and hold them in a hotel under gun :) . So getting parties to pre-commiting by trail-ballooning is good at this time.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Im feeling very tensed.
Why suddenly those talks of negativity surfaced???
Till 5th stage even jurnos on dynasty payroll were sensing NDA victory.

Was 6th phase that much bad ???
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Mollick.R wrote:Im feeling very tensed.

Remember to put a hand on your heart and say, all is well kyonki aayega tho modi hi.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Mollick.R wrote:Im feeling very tensed.

Whether they are talking about NDA victory or defeat, when have they ever been right? All predictions are pulled out of their musharraf onlee. And they have to make predictions both ways at different times or keep them ambiguous enough to not be mocked for being wrong when the results come out.
OmkarC
BRFite

Post by OmkarC »

nachiket wrote:
Getting ready to form super maha-thugbandhan in case NDA falls just short of majority, would be my guess. They will need pretty much everybody to make the numbers.
The fact that Jagan, KCR have accepted Sonia ji’s invite either indicates they want to drive a hard bargain with bjp or they are unsure of BJP’s victory.. Apparently Pranab da played a key role in convincing Jagan to meet Sonia.

BTW, What’s preventing BJP from cozying up to these two parties ? Neither is worse than DMK or TDP.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Hope, AS is working on his own plan B /C /D in case it is required.

We don't need scenarios like AVB govt April-1999 for the sake of moral high pedestal.
This time it's a battle of civilisation too.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

OmkarC wrote: The fact that Jagan, KCR have accepted Sonia ji’s invite either indicates they want to drive a hard bargain with bjp or they are unsure of BJP’s victory.. Apparently Pranab da played a key role in convincing Jagan to meet Sonia.

BTW, What’s preventing BJP from cozying up to these two parties ? Neither is worse than DMK or TDP.
Cozy up how? We don't know if there have been discussions already. But BJP can't make any promises about cabinet berths etc. right now. If they do that and NDA gets majority on its own existing allies who were with them from the start will demand those berths and will be angry if they are given away to the new guys. If they ditch the new guys on the other hand, it might cause problems in the future. Better to wait and see kaun kitne paani me hain before doing anything.

SG does not have this problem because UPA as it stands has no chance of reaching 272 on its own.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Mollick.R wrote:
Im feeling very tensed.
Was 6th phase that much bad ??
?
To freak you out so you don't go out to vote in Phase 7.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mollick stay calm.
All voting over by Sunday.
Next week.by this time results will be over.
Then we should ULTA latka the wrong pollsters.

8)
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Hmmm! Satta Bajaar Indore has reduced their prediction per MSM
Lok Sabha Election Result 2019 Predictions by Satta Bazar: Matka Players Reduce BJP's Number to 220, Congress Tottering at 100
Bhopal, May 15: Till the culmination of the fifth phase of polling for the Lok Sabha elections 2019, Indore's famous satta bazar (betting market) had odds in favour of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to cross a total of 240 seats on its own. After the sixth phase of polling, there has been a drop in support for BJP, according to Matka players and bookies. With less than 10 days left for the Lok Sabha election result, the BJP is now projected to win 220 seats.
Till about ten days ago, Indore's satta bazar was abuzz with speculation that the BJP may win a total of 240 seats on its own and get a comfortable majority along with other partners of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA). The last two phases BJP's tally is being quoted at 220 in the satta market, reported news agency IANS. Bookies and Matka players are still of the view that the Congress would not cross the 100-mark.
Earlier, Rajasthan's famous Phalodi satta bazaar predicted 240-245 seats for the BJP with the NDA touching 320-325. The betting market in Gujarat's Surat forecast 246-248 seats in favour of BJP. Bookies say the Congress would be at a distant second with 78-80 seats. We at LatestLY doesn't support betting and these numbers are based on speculations in the betting market.
The 120-year-old satta market in Indore had predicted a Congress victory in the December assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh which came true though the numbers fell short. Initially, Congress was projected to bag 122 seats and BJP 90. After the nominations were filed, the BJP inched ahead past 100 to settle at 102 while the Congress slipped to 114. It stayed there on the figure in the market and in reality.
However, there have been elections predictions of which were wrongly made by punters. The betting market made the wrong forecast of Delhi and Bihar Assembly elections in 2015. The worst debacle was the Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls of 2017. The satta bazar called the BJP figure at 203 seats, which actually overshot to 325.
{Dhoti-shiver - dhoti-shiver - lungi-shiver - lungi-shiver}
Mandatory Dilbullah Declaration: BJP will lose onlee. :(( :roll:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

It would be interesting to know which 100 seats Congress is expected to get per the Satta market?

We already completed 6 phases and the 7th phase is hardly Congress friendly area.
Punjab and MP with 13 and 8 respectively.
be generous and let them get half each.
Or take the voteshare % of last assy elections and give them proportionally.

So any takers to tally the 100 for Congress?
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

I do not see any reason why we should have dhothi shiver so late in to the election season.
For me NaMo is like that school kid who comes home from school, completes homework, plays for a little while and comes home to prepare for the next day classes.
Kids who work that way never have problem with their exams. I do not think we should worry about NaMo, he did the work as best as he can do. 11 crore BJP party registered members, at least 10 crore beneficiaries of schemes provided by NaMo and then add at least 10+ crore of the party member and beneficiaries spouses, friends.
Total comes to more than 30 crore votes, which means over 50% of votes(66% voting of 900 million eligible voters) for BJP and it's NDA parties.
I expect no less than 340 seats to BJP on 23rd.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

rajsunder wrote:11 crore BJP party registered members, at least 10 crore beneficiaries of schemes provided by NaMo and then add at least 10+ crore of the party member and beneficiaries spouses, friends.
Total comes to more than 30 crore votes, which means over 50% of votes(66% voting of 900 million eligible voters) for BJP and it's NDA parties.
I expect no less than 340 seats to BJP on 23rd.
Exactly, well explained
_/\_
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

The Deccan Herald is an extremely pro-Congress newspaper and has also blocked people on Twitter who have made adverse comments against the Congress, Shiv for e.g.. This is what they ran:

https://www.deccanherald.com/lok-sabha- ... 33719.html

Suryag saar ji---- shhhhhhhhhh!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://www.facebook.com/viralvdoCV/vid ... 001/?t=266

vietnamese mouse trap used by namo to trap those who rant against him
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Is ajit pawar BJP SHARANAM GACHHAMI? Internal surveys of ncp found out thumping majority of BJP? ajit pawar sending SoS to NaMo & Shah?

https://twitter.com/Hiranyareta/status/ ... 32226?s=19
Don’t believe EVMs are manipulated: Ajit Pawar“I feel that if the EVMs were being manipulated then BJP would not have lost the polls in the five states last year. Elections are held in a massive manner and I don’t think it is easy to manipulate EVMs,” he said.

Mumbai: After NCP chief Sharad Pawar’s recent claim of irregularities in electronic voting machines (EVM), his nephew and party leader Ajit Pawar on Monday said he does not believe the machines are being tampered with.

“I feel that if the EVMs were being manipulated then BJP would not have lost the polls in the five states last year. Elections are held in a massive manner and I don’t think it is easy to manipulate EVMs,” he said.

Hours after Pawar’s comment, NCP MP Majeed Memon tweeted, “Let all federal opposition leaders keep strict vigil on store rooms where EVMs are placed till 23rd May. Tampering and manipulations cannot be wholly ruled out to alter people’s mandate.”
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ts-worried
Fear of Election ‘Bolt From the Blue’ Has India Markets Worried
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A story with no content. Buggers are trying their best to induce lungi-shivering. When has Bloomberg been India-friendly?
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

chetak wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Maxwell is Australian.
he was born a brit and educated there.

the ruinous state of the country of his birth will not leave him unmoved and India's rise will certainly remind him of the malicious lies that he wrote about her and his bitter forecasts that did not come true.

he displayed a churchillian desire to see India go down in flames.
The actual report on which Maxwell based his book was authored by Henderson Brooks, a retired Indian army officer of Anglo-Indian origin who later migrated to Australia and PS Bhagat who won a Victoria Cross for his contribution in the second World War.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Interesting data posted by Rishi Bagree (I don’t have corroborative references):

Bengal GDP as percentage of India GDP
1950: 25%
1977: 13%
2019: 3%
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ramana wrote:Mollick stay calm.
All voting over by Sunday.
Next week.by this time results will be over.
Then we should ULTA latka the wrong pollsters.
And Dilbu if the BJP doesn't do well. :evil:
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

nandakumar wrote:
chetak wrote:
he was born a brit and educated there.

the ruinous state of the country of his birth will not leave him unmoved and India's rise will certainly remind him of the malicious lies that he wrote about her and his bitter forecasts that did not come true.

he displayed a churchillian desire to see India go down in flames.
The actual report on which Maxwell based his book was authored by Henderson Brooks, a retired Indian army officer of Anglo-Indian origin who later migrated to Australia and PS Bhagat who won a Victoria Cross for his contribution in the second World War.
OT, but the Henderson-Brooks report is available online. Quite an interesting read, focusing mostly on the Army's shortcomings, because those were hs terms of reference. Maxwell gave it his own spin.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

ramana wrote:It would be interesting to know which 100 seats Congress is expected to get per the Satta market?

We already completed 6 phases and the 7th phase is hardly Congress friendly area.
Punjab and MP with 13 and 8 respectively.
be generous and let them get half each.
Or take the voteshare % of last assy elections and give them proportionally.

So any takers to tally the 100 for Congress?
I have never understood this fascination for satta bazar. How would they have gyan on the pulse of Indian voters across India. Like so many others, they too are hedging their bets to make maximum money. I would pay as much attention to them as I pay to 'G' in Lasagne.
Congress reaching 100 is not happening in 2019. Don't go by result of Assembly elections in MP,RJ and CG. They can be deceptive.
The only 3 states from where congress will get most seats are Punjab, KA & KL with some doles from Bihar plus 2(maybe ??) from UP.
Where are the catchment areas from where they will get the extra 56. Also we are assuming that they will be able to win back all the 44 which they won last time. The math just not add up. They should offer Bhog to Venkateshwara if they even cross 50.
Last edited by Vikas on 16 May 2019 10:01, edited 1 time in total.