2019 General Elections News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

2019 General Elections News and Discussion

Post by ramana »

Please post news of upcoming General Elections starting from 11 April through 19 May 2019.
Please post election schedules, poll surveys and things of that nature.
No polemics or personal attacks.
Thanks for cooperation.

Ramana
syam
BRFite

Re: 2019 General Elections News and Discussion

Post by syam »

syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Can we have a list of alliances by state? Parties which are with the NDA or UPA?
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

BJP selects a young guy "Tejaswi Surya" to represent B'lore south but he too tuned out to nephew of a sitting MLA.
No running away form political connections and nepotism in Indian context.
Is there any candidate by any national party who is a first timer, not a celebrity and not connected to any politician, I mean a total Aam Abdul.

Urmila Matondkar-Akhtar the erstwhile Bhaiwood actress joined congress yesterday and most likely will fight elections from Mumba-North on congress ticket. Having been married to a Kashmiri Muslim Mir Mohsin Akhtar couple of years back, Why would any one vote for her thanks to this connection ?

Meanwhile Priya Dutt is back in the fray from Mumbai-South and will be pitted against Poonam Mahajan once again
while Jaya Prada will take on here bete-noir Azam Khan from Rampur. She will have total support of slimy Amar Singh but I think it is almost impossible for her to pull it off this time. She probably is a front for Amar Singh ?
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I came here per direction of Mullah Nachiket..
All I see so far is intricate pie charts on Projections. Need to see some good ideas to be RT'ed.

There is a super thread on Achievements of Modi Sarkar. How to translate that into tweets/ headlines and how to GET THAT TO THE VOTERS is the real issue. Leaving that to Bee Jay Pee politicos is a sure recipe to face 5 or 10 years of RaGaSultanate which will be the end of India as we hope to see it.

The achievements of the past 5 years are way more than enough to swing a 2/3 majority in LS: IF properly articulated in a timely manner. NOW is an excellent time, given the short memory of the electorate.

Question 1: I am a subsistence farmer in Andhra/Rajasthan/MP/ Chattisgarh: Why should I vote for another 5 years of this sarkar?

Question 2: I am an unemployed SSLC-pass in Malloostan/ TN/ Bengal: Why should I vote for another 5 years of this sarkar?

Question 2: I am a migrant laborer from Bengal/Bihar slaving away in Malloostan to send a few rupees a week to my starvation/margin family back in WB/Bihar (OK, I may be an undocumented alien and hence can only vote Marxist but we'll let that slide) : Why should I vote for another 5 years of Modi sarkar?

U c the problem? "Balakot" is not good enough. "Rafale" is not good enough. "Ten Indian cities in Taap 1% worldwide in Growth Rate" is certainly not good. "India 5th largest GeeDeePee" is no good. Talk to me about "Roti-Kapda-Makaan", kids' education... Naukari, bijnej survival. Freedom to biss on the street.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Extract from a "What Modi Did" Whatsapp Fwd in Malluspeak:

1. Cooking gas for everyone.
2. Rs 6000 Aid to farmers
3. Increased REGS remuneration
4. Increased salary for Asha workers
5. Govt aid through Aadhaar linked bank A/C
6. 1.07 families got homes through PM Aavaas Yojana (True?)
7. Ayushman Bharat scheme
8. Toilets Revolution
9. Beti Bachao
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

UB ji it has to be png creation for each and every segment whether it is weaver in banaras or silk farmer in NE or fisherman in Tuticorin and then ensure wide dissemination
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Twitter size images with summarised points and graphs are ideal. I have no photoshaap skills. Will try to gather and collate info for gurus to use.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This is good. Next point: V r being too shy, just looking back. Hint: VOTERS DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE PAST, THE PAST IS DONE. They care about "what's in it 4 me tomorrow?"

How about developing a set of "Implications for next 5 to 10 years" with all the high standards of truth and logic that we exhibit in the BENIS Balakote Pak Terror dhagas?

As in:

Look what we have achieved in 5 years. (don't waste time comparing to what others did not do in 60 years)

What does this mean? What can be done now with the same leaders leading us?

DARE TO IMAGINE!
1. Bring skills, jobs, education and business to every village in India
2. Clean up our drinking water
3. Bring energy self-reliance: no more slavery to the ******** or *******
4. Reliable Electricity year-round at affordable cost.
5. Better highways: make our roads work.
6. Better schools: eliminate corruption.
7. No time wasted standing in queue.
8. Better, corruption-free local governments and state governments.
9. Re-unite Jammu Kashmir in peace
10. Free us of the pakistan problem: tell them to live in peace or no Pakistan.
11. Anywhere in the world, your labor and products will be respected and valued.
12. True equality: you don't have to be afraid to be a Hindu in India.

Pls feel free to make that colorful. Several of those points can be contrasted with record. manifesto of other parties. See items 1, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

UlanBatori wrote: DARE TO IMAGINE!
1. Bring skills, jobs, education and business to every village in India
2. Clean up our drinking water
3. Bring energy self-reliance: no more slavery to the ******** or *******
4. Reliable Electricity year-round at affordable cost.
5. Better highways: make our roads work.
6. Better schools: eliminate corruption.
7. No time wasted standing in queue.
8. Better, corruption-free local governments and state governments.
9. Re-unite Jammu Kashmir in peace
10. Free us of the pakistan problem: tell them to live in peace or no Pakistan.
11. Anywhere in the world, your labor and products will be respected and valued.
12. True equality: you don't have to be afraid to be a Hindu in India.
One of the issues which Indian Students face is with student loan. Modi should announce as part of skill India that any student in Masters' will get Rs. 2k per month stipend (for showing up for master's) (some disclaimers will apply) and any PhD student will get Rs. 5k per month. Master's and PhD (for showing interest in something called dissertation) in STEM and Indian Astrology/Ayurveda only.

All female graduates with Bachelors (B.Sc/BTech in STEM) to get Rs. 10k air travel voucher on Air India to any foreign destination (disclaimers apply). As it is GOI is subsidizing Air India. It can as well use Air India services to show the world to the students.

All graduates from ITI (not IIT :-) ) will get free air travel to Japan (to learn how things are actually done!)
Last edited by disha on 28 Mar 2019 23:32, edited 2 times in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I guess you two have been away from india for a long time now?

mtech and phd students in STEM get far more monthly stipend than your numbers. i got that in 1995! 2k will barely cover a mess bill.

electricity, highways have witnessed a boom.....4 lane highways are the norm and getting ubiquitous.

a basic security guard in bengaluru kerala earns 15k and so does a 9am-6pm house maid.

times have moved on a tad, brothers :)
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Singha wrote:I guess you two have been away from india for a long time now?

mtech and phd students in STEM get far more monthly stipend than your numbers. i got that in 1995! 2k will barely cover a mess bill.
:rotfl: What mess, nowadays they have swiggy anyway! I meant the additional money beyond their usual stipend. To spell it out - for their data plans!
a basic security guard in bengaluru kerala earns 15k and so does a 9am-6pm house maid.
So they will not qualify for the dole scheme of Rs. 6k per month per family!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Every "bhArat rakshakaH" must watch this; take your convenient time to watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLx9A5mO-ho
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Seems this is the election where politicians are just offering people free money from their magic trees.
Rs 72,000 Each Year to 5 Crore Poorest Families: Rahul Gandhi Unveils 'Mother of All' Minimum Income Schemes
Gandhi did not give details on how the party arrived at the Rs 72,000 figure, leaving it for committee head P Chidambaram, a former finance minister, to explain on a later date.
https://www.news18.com/news/politics/rs ... 77187.html
If Congress' Rahul Gandhi has come up with 'NYAY', Bhaichung Bhutia can't be far behind -- the footballer-turned-politician's party in Sikkim is promising Rs 90,000 minimum income for every family of five in his state.

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/national/b ... 25629.html
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Please vote here when you can spare a click :) https://twitter.com/saikanomie/status/1 ... 4729632772
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The NYAY Scheme announcement presents GoI an opportunity to simply announce a competing scheme, and actually go about it, progressively dismantling all other subsidy schemes and subsuming them into this post elections if they gain a majority to proceed with plans.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

-Ankit
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

UlanBatori wrote:115 to 6. (I am #6, just wanted to see..)
.... now that the poll is established, should perhaps help develop the Platform. Hint: Claiming that most Indians have electricity and gas cooking, is like "India Shining". It is clueless about the realities in rural India (and much of urban India). India is desperately short of energy at all levels, and the rural areas where 67% live are in utter despair.....

viewtopic.php?p=2337930#p2337930
UB ji ,
Saubhagya scheme as it stands in the last year or so gave 2.6 Crore new electricity connections along with single line wiring into the house from the meter.
If you cant believe the statistics you can check some of the 700 or so testimonials in the below playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... p037U8cTm6
Since you claim you are not "Clueless about the realities in rural India (and much of urban India)" as opposed to others like us, probably you dont need to.

The avg cost for house hold consumption in India for first 100 units is ~ 4 Rs/KWH .
2 Led Bulbs of 9W each (7hrs) +a TV set of 90W (6 hours) +1 Ceiling Fan @ 60 W running for 14 hours
gives avg consumption of 1.5 unit per day (this is assuming 24 hour supply - by the current avg of 20hr rural supply it will be lesser).
So per month electricity bill amounts to 180 Rs, say for each one of the 1.5 Crore "despairing" PMAY households(completed in last 5 years as shown below).Yes this "despair" of needing to pay 180 Rs/month bill by pakka or nonpakka rural households newly availing an electricity connection must be real.

Same is the "despair" of 7.1 Crore ujwala households were a large percentage of rural women no longer need to forage for firewood(& cook while wheezing) while freeing up their time to earn income, while paying Rs 500 with "despair" for each subsidized cylinder every 4 months.Image

Same is the "despair" of maintaining the 10 Crore new toilets (constructed with GOI funding in last 5 years) in the households that use them.

Note:The the people residing in noncensus villages/hamlets or those people who left their unelectrified rural households empty to migrate to urban areas had no chance to avail an electricity connection.They have escaped this "despair" of needing to pay monthly electricity bills.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

PM is speaking at 10 AM now.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Another data point for those skeptical of GOI's "universalization of electricity" feat of past 5 years.

Keroscene subsidy which was 30,000 Crore per annum when UPA handed over power to NaMo in 2014 is down to 5000 Cr in 2018-2019 and is going to be phased out (and made zero) by 2020.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Just received a forward from YSRC people on AP seat predictions - As per their own "polls" they will get YSRC 121 TDP 43 and others are 11. Over optimistic on the first look. But considaring that the last time TDP barely managed to win with the help of BJP and Pavan Kalyan both of whom are not supporting TDP now YSRC may end up winning with BJP getting a big Zero.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

my spider feel is YSRC is being empowered by BJP to go after the turncoat naidu.
question is will YSRC break bread with NDA later. its currently not in any formation NDA or gatbandhan.
situation is similar to the Odisha case - who does naveen patnaik really support, other than ofcourse himself.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I have same information from people who are working for YSRC.

Naveen is in a bad shape. He may just manage to win this time at the very best. Even that may not happen. Going to lose lot of MP seats for sure. He back stabbed BJP before and second time not going to happen. Not with INC being weak in the state and BJP on the raise. He is not Nithishwa.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Yagnasri wrote:Just received a forward from YSRC people on AP seat predictions - As per their own "polls" they will get YSRC 121 TDP 43 and others are 11. Over optimistic on the first look. But considaring that the last time TDP barely managed to win with the help of BJP and Pavan Kalyan both of whom are not supporting TDP now YSRC may end up winning with BJP getting a big Zero.
BJP getting zero in AP is a foregone conclusion ever since CBN backstabbed them yet again. What is important is to keep whoever wins there out of mahathugbandhan since final result may depend on whose coalition is bigger this time. Single party majority is not going to happen again. Conditions in 2014 were far too different with everyone sick and tired of the unending loot under Cong and Modi hitting the campaign out of the park. If the state elections are any indicator, the unbelievable performances in several big states in 2014 are also unlikely to be repeated and some states may go the other way.

On the other hand BJP may be able to get some seats in other areas where they scored nothing last time.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Dileep wrote:Extract from a "What Modi Did" Whatsapp Fwd in Malluspeak:

1. Cooking gas for everyone.
2. Rs 6000 Aid to farmers
3. ....
While the above do enthuse the recipients, we should also include those that cover everyone. The biggest that everyone in India can relate to is power cuts till 2014. After NaMo sankar pulled the leaks in coal scam and improvd efficiency of coal plants, no more unplanned power cuts. Everyone connects with it but nobody has made it a big deal of it.

It works like a charm in Southern states in my personal experience.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

There is a big list being circulated. I just took the 'for the poor' points for the benefit of UB Saar.

I think most of the ejucated class is already firmly in one of the camps, so no major gain preaching to them. Of course, there may be a residual % to be mopped up. I agree with UB Saar in that the target should be the crowd that look for immediate tangible benefit. I think electricity, cooking gas and the houses are tangible enough for them. But the right message in the right language and script should go.

BJP/NDA in KL is a DISGRACE from the perspective of an 'issue based ally' like moi. 400% selfish, group playing, backstabbing onlee. Lucky we got a decent candidate, else I would have had to vote Congress (the CPIM being enemy no 1)
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

-Ankit
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

All the infographics can be found here

https://transformingindia.mygov.in/all- ... rolltothis
There are in total 9 sectors including rural development each having hundreds of Infographics in English & Hindi highlighting the 5 years achievements & outcomes of Modi sarkar.

1 )Economy
2 )Education & Skills
3 )Farmers welfare
4 )Governance
5 )Health & Social welfare
6 )India & the World
7 )Infrastructure
8 )Rural Development
9 )Technology

One example below
Last edited by Lilo on 30 Mar 2019 09:32, edited 3 times in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ankit and Lilo,
Thanks for the graphics and following the spirit of the thread that I opened.
Folks I just want data so people can follow the elections.
Parties will campaign as they need to.
If you want take the data and use SM.

Lilo can we tweet and post here.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

x-post

Modi sarkar extends Ordinance banning Triple Talaq
Triple Talaq is a widely prevalent custom amongst Indian muslims. Innately exploitative triple talaq allowed muslim men to use to terrorize their muslim wives with the threat of immediate & irrevocable divorce.
For 70 years the Nehruvian sickular consensus hoodwinked at this practice to empower the relentless torture & enslavement of Muslim women by their Muslim husbands using the threat of Talaq,while the Indian Feminists & left liberals buried their heads in sikular holes.Triple Talaq ensured that Muslim women were dehumanized & reduced to lumps of flesh only to be used by the husbands when & as they pleased.

Finally in 2018 the Hindutva govt of Narendra Modi banned this abhorrent practice of Triple Talaq via the ordinance route bringing succor to the 100 million muslim women.
While the attendant Bill to ban Triple Talaq has been passed in Loksabha with the majority enjoyed by BJP in 2017, it was however prevented passage in RajyaSabha by Congress & parties of Mahagathbandhan, necessitating the repromulgation of the ordinance by NaMo sarkar in 2019.

The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Ordinance, Jan 2019

The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Ordinance, 2019 was promulgated on January 12, 2019. It replaces the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Ordinance, 2018 promulgated on September 19, 2018. Note that the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 (to replace the 2018 Ordinance) was passed by Lok Sabha on December 27, 2018 and is currently pending in Rajya Sabha.

The Ordinance makes all declaration of talaq, including in written or electronic form, to be void (i.e. not enforceable in law) and illegal. It defines talaq as talaq-e-biddat or any other similar form of talaq pronounced by a Muslim man resulting in instant and irrevocable divorce. Talaq-e-biddat refers to the practice under Muslim personal laws where pronouncement of the word ‘talaq’ thrice in one sitting by a Muslim man to his wife results in an instant and irrevocable divorce.

Offence and penalty: The Ordinance makes declaration of talaq a cognizable offence, attracting up to three years imprisonment with a fine. (A cognizable offence is one for which a police officer may arrest an accused person without warrant.) The offence will be cognizable only if information relating to the offence is given by: (i) the married woman (against whom talaq has been declared), or (ii) any person related to her by blood or marriage.

The Ordinance provides that the Magistrate may grant bail to the accused. The bail may be granted only after hearing the woman (against whom talaq has been pronounced), and if the Magistrate is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds for granting bail.

The offence may be compounded by the Magistrate upon the request of the woman (against whom talaq has been declared). Compounding refers to the procedure where the two sides agree to stop legal proceedings, and settle the dispute.The terms and conditions of the compounding of the offence will be determined by the Magistrate.

Allowance: A Muslim woman against whom talaq has been declared, is entitled to seek subsistence allowance from her husband for herself and for her dependent children.The amount of the allowance will be determined by the Magistrate.

Custody: A Muslim woman against whom such talaq has been declared, is entitled to seek custody of her minor children. The manner of custody will be determined by the Magistrate.

https://www.prsindia.org/billtrack/musl ... nance-2019
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

How do I vote from the US ? In 2014 I had a chance to go back to India during election. But this time I can't . Can anyone post instructions ?
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

gakakkad wrote:How do I vote from the US ? In 2014 I had a chance to go back to India during election. But this time I can't . Can anyone post instructions ?
Seems we're out of luck here.

The Lok Sabha passed a bill to allow NRIs to vote by proxy. This bill was stopped at the Rajya Sabha.

As of now, postal voting and proxy voting is only available to military personnel abroad, and other restricted groups.

There is no option for NRIs other than going to India to vote. You can register online through the Election Commission website, but no online voting (wasn't really looking for this), no postal voting (would have been nice) or proxy voting (this would also have worked for me, but no luck). And I can't get to India in time :(.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Yagnasri wrote:I have same information from people who are working for YSRC.

Naveen is in a bad shape. He may just manage to win this time at the very best. Even that may not happen. Going to lose lot of MP seats for sure. He back stabbed BJP before and second time not going to happen. Not with INC being weak in the state and BJP on the raise. He is not Nithishwa.
Actually good that Naidu got rid of dead weight of Modi in Andhra Pradesh, modi an co are going to lose deposits there, Modi’s treatment of non-BJP stsates has been bad and today no party in AP dares to touch Modi and co with a long stick.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

venkat_r wrote:
Yagnasri wrote:I have same information from people who are working for YSRC.

Actually good that Naidu got rid of dead weight of Modi in Andhra Pradesh, modi an co are going to lose deposits there, Modi’s treatment of non-BJP stsates has been bad and today no party in AP dares to touch Modi and co with a long stick.
Where did you find that "fact"?
In the yellow media that perennially jumps through hoops as per your CBN's tunes ?

Instead of rehashing the canned statements of Andhra's yellow media - that Modi is "discriminating" Andhra people, why dont you try presenting a proper argument with facts for once...?

Recently CBN using his position of CM has claimed that Modi the serving PM planned the pulwama attack which killed 44 soldiers.
Not even Jihadi didi went that far - i guess you will acceptingly shake your head for this kind of despicable politics of CBN ?
How shameless can Chandrababu naidu get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmIXA_VlYMM

On the issue of deposits - atleast BJP has the guts to contest independently both in Telangana & AP even if they are supposedly sure to loose deposits as per you.

Chandrababu is so cowardly that fearing a shameful loss, he stopped the lifelong party members of TDP from contesting this 2019 general elections in Telangana !
The same party which got 28% vote in Telangana in 2009!
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Scathing sting: Congress leader says Rahul Gandhi will win from Wayanad because Hindus are a minority in the constituency

https://youtu.be/ZsFXy63g97Y?t=31

“The total Christian-Muslim vote is about 50%. It comes to around 54% which makes easier for Rahul. And the thing is there are 8% Adivasis who are with us. Actually, Wayanad has been a Congress stronghold since 1957,” said a Congress leader in Times Now sting video.

“We have done the preliminary steps. If Rahul Gandhi decides to comes here. If Rahul Gandhi decides to fight from here, there is no need for campaigning,” added Kerala Congress leader.

The Congress leader said that BJP is taking all measures to corner Rahul Gandhi as several leaders even from Amethi Congress have now joined BJP, so Rahul Gandhi is surely looking for a safe seat to contest from. He also said that from Wayanad, SDPI would also support the Congress party.
Social Democratic Party of India (SDPI), the political wing of the Muslim extremist organisation Popular Front of India (PFI), which has been accused of spreading Islamist terror, has also been accused of sending death threats to Kerala based inter-faith couple Harrison, a Christian and Shahana. Its parent organisation, PFI has been indicted in several cases. For example, the NIA in its chargesheet had indicted PFI members for a larger conspiracy behind the murder of Munnani activist. India Today had even exposed the organization for engaging in the brainwashing and conversion of Hindu women through its network of illegal financing

Congress President Rahul Gandhi is reportedly looking for a safe seat as Congress party believes that winning Amethi against Union Minister Smriti Irani will be a herculean task for Rahul Gandhi. Hence, Congress Party is on a contingency plan to field Rahul Gandhi from Wayanad Lok Sabha constituency, which has 29% Muslim votes and another 21% Christian votes.

It is interesting to see that Congress President Rahul Gandhi, who had indulged in soft-Hindutva with a ‘Temple run’ right before Gujarat elections and claims to be Janeudhari Brahmin, has lately toned down his pro-Hindutva image to garner the traditional Congress votes of Muslims and Christians. Addition to that, Congress party leaders also believe that Rahul Gandhi victory is easily ensured only in those constituencies where half of the total voters are either Muslims or belong to other minorities groups.

Congress party seems to have understood that Rahul Gandhi will be facing a tough fight in Amethi as not only Smriti Irani has better traction in these regions but also these constituencies are majorly comprised with Hindu vote bank. As the chances of Rahul Gandhi defeating Smriti Irani in Amethi is getting tough day after day, Congress party seems to have realised that it is easy for Rahul Gandhi to pull an easy victory from constituencies where minority votes are much larger compared to Hindu votes.