Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Postby arshyam » 24 Apr 2019 10:31

Singha wrote:https://www.newsbharati.com/Encyc/2019/4/23/Tamil-Nadu-Tauheed-Jamaat.html

According to the reports the Tamil Nadu Tauheed Jamaat had organized a massive rally of Muslims in Chennai. The impact of that huge rally was felt by the then UPA government at the centre and the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, UPA Chairperson decided to meet their leaders.

I was present during this rally - June 2010, IIRC. Was travelling with my family to catch a train from Central and almost missed it due to a huge mass of people. Never felt so afraid in my own city, though nothing untoward really happened. That the police were conspicuous by their absence (one can guess why) except a few brave 'uns near the Marina added to the surreal feeling. Most people with me remarked that they didn't know there were so many Muslims in Chennai (there are not, most of them came from other parts of the state). But as a show of strength, it was definitely successful.

But there is also the perception among some quarters that these TNTJ people did some good volunteer work after the 2016 floods. I have mostly heard this when discussing RSS's relief efforts during that time, so TIFWIW.

Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Postby Prem Kumar » 24 Apr 2019 10:39

One huge advantage of terror attacks from the South (from an ISI viewpoint) is that India cannot readily do a Balakot. Geography is a factor. Pukistan will claim that an Islamic attack in South India could've been done only by locals. Indian media would play it up and ask Modi "not to punish Pakistan to cover up for his incompetence".

But all this is for later. Any terror attack during election season in India would be counter-productive for Congress+ISI. So, this Southern Route would be activated if there is a Modi 2nd term.

Per the suicide bomber's video, there are now plans for a Southern Caliphate (Kerala, TN, Sri Lanka, Maldives) similar to a Northern Caliphate (Pakistan, Kashmir, Bihar, UP, West Bengal, Bangladesh). Seems like ISI's own version of "string of pearls"

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 24 Apr 2019 10:50

Who do these delusional people think they really are? Caliphate indeed.

In a manner of speaking, these things coming out in the open is a good thing. More people will be awakened except the completely blinded Periyarists.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 24 Apr 2019 10:53

arshyam wrote:Who do these delusional people think they really are? Caliphate indeed.

In a manner of speaking, these things coming out in the open is a good thing. More people will be awakened except the completely blinded Periyarists.

The problem with political parties and thier supporters who have been feeding these guys , they think they can get away with anything.

yensoy
BRFite

Postby yensoy » 24 Apr 2019 10:55

Prem Kumar wrote:One huge advantage of terror attacks from the South (from an ISI viewpoint) is that India cannot readily do a Balakot. Geography is a factor. Pukistan will claim that an Islamic attack in South India could've been done only by locals. Indian media would play it up and ask Modi "not to punish Pakistan to cover up for his incompetence".

Modi would take war to the South by bombing Bahawalpur instead.

Jacinda looks like a fool for pandering to the peacefools. What good did her well meaning gestures do? We aren't dealing with humans here.

For the past couple of days I was thinking, as was the rest of the world, "Why Sri Lanka?". I think I am understanding it now. SL is small enough that it can be propelled into a zone of anarchy like Syria, something which is much harder to do in India. For crazies like the IS wanting to do a hard reset on the world, this is a big plus.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 11:12

These caliphates would be more like zones of theater commanders with common budgets, top leaders and plans.

Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Postby Karthik S » 24 Apr 2019 11:13

arshyam wrote:
Singha wrote:https://www.newsbharati.com/Encyc/2019/4/23/Tamil-Nadu-Tauheed-Jamaat.html

According to the reports the Tamil Nadu Tauheed Jamaat had organized a massive rally of Muslims in Chennai. The impact of that huge rally was felt by the then UPA government at the centre and the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, UPA Chairperson decided to meet their leaders.

I was present during this rally - June 2010, IIRC. Was travelling with my family to catch a train from Central and almost missed it due to a huge mass of people. Never felt so afraid in my own city, though nothing untoward really happened. That the police were conspicuous by their absence (one can guess why) except a few brave 'uns near the Marina added to the surreal feeling. Most people with me remarked that they didn't know there were so many Muslims in Chennai (there are not, most of them came from other parts of the state). But as a show of strength, it was definitely successful.

But there is also the perception among some quarters that these TNTJ people did some good volunteer work after the 2016 floods. I have mostly heard this when discussing RSS's relief efforts during that time, so TIFWIW.

You've never been to Hyderabad then.

Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Postby Karthik S » 24 Apr 2019 11:16

Singha wrote:so both the UPA and the TN parties have been pandering to these islamists. no wonder they have grown in strength.

so far there is not one islamist party pan india other than indira congress - AIUDF in assam, Owaisi in Hyd are regional players...perhaps a new mahdi will unite these factions and start the crusade.

bhai jaan, they are Shia.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 12:03

colombo gazette::

The security forces defused another bomb found inside a bag in Katana today.

The Police said the bomb was defused in a controlled explosion.

====
also an abandoned bike was also blown up near savoy hotel as a precaution
====
A suspicious van has been detained and more suspects taken into custody over the Easter Sunday bombings.

The Police said that the van, bearing number SG PH – 3779 was seized in Warakapola.

Earlier the Police had arrested eighteen suspects and seized walkie-talkies and vehicles in an operation carried out last night linked to the Easter Sunday bombings.

The Police said that the suspects were arrested in Beruwala, Katana, Aluthgama and Warakapola.

In separate operations following the deadly bombings the Police had arrested over 40 suspects. (Colombo Gazette)

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 12:07

CNN

Defense Minister: One of the suicide bombers studied overseas
"Most of them are well-educated, and come from maybe middle- or upper-middle-class. So they are financially quite independent and their families are quite stable financially," Sri Lanka's State Defense Minister Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewardene said in a press conference.

He added, "We believe that one of the suicide bombers studied in the UK and maybe later on did his post-graduate in Australia, before coming back to settle in Sri Lanka."

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Postby Vikas » 24 Apr 2019 12:10

Singha wrote:These caliphates would be more like zones of theater commanders with common budgets, top leaders and plans.

ISIS or whatever crap these scums follow probably has decentralized model already where zonal commanders make high level design and let the theater commanders executes it.
I don't believe that these blasts were meant for India and plans were changed at the eleventh hour. Such coordinated attacks require planning and hush hush of high magnitude Nor I think these were revenge attacks for NZ else they could have targeted a white country or white exclusive places like a night club etc.
These days every local area with ~10% Islamic population runs its own victimhood narrative and angst against the kaffir world, so they get all the support by Global Jehadis and unnamed Intelligence agencies to give vent to these feelings.
Next target in our neighborhood probably is BD while India remains in the crosshair of ISI permanently.

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Postby Vikas » 24 Apr 2019 12:11

Currently it feels like as if Sri Lanka is a mine field with bombs going off in every lane and every other day.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 12:11

"We are not against any kind of religion," says lawmaker calling to debate a burqa ban
From CNN's Angus Watson in Hong Kong

Ashu Marasinghe, a Sri Lankan member of parliament, told CNN that he called yesterday for a parliamentary debate on banning “the burqa, niqab and any other religious face covering."

He said he believes face coverings are a threat to national security because they make it difficult to identify people, adding that facial covering was not traditional in Sri Lankan Muslim communities. No date has been set for his proposed debate.

People have their own reasons for wearing face coverings but they are all threats to national security. We need to start the discussion in parliament and we can move toward a ban of face coverings.
Face coverings would be banned in public places. This is the point we should discuss in parliament. Some restaurants and shops are already placing signs up asking their customers to remove their burqa or niqab. This is not good for social harmony, for the Muslim community or any other community. There should be one rule which covers all places.
I fully respect peoples religious freedom and freedom of expression, but this is a different angle. We are facing international terrorism for the first time in Sri Lanka – and face coverings are a security issue.

===
At least one Sri Lankan hotel has banned facial coverings in the aftermath of the attacks.

A British guest at Ella Flower Garden Resort in the small mountain town of Ella, about 200 kilometers (about 125 miles) east of Colombo, told CNN that the rule began on Tuesday, and described it as "a hijab and burqa ban."

Signs on the hotel's glass door depict a variety of banned facial coverings, including icons of a helmet, an eye mask, a balaclava, an eyeless full-figure shroud, and an apparent Islamic burqa.

The ban specifically mentions people in Islamic headdress.

Kosala Dissanayake, the hotel's director of sales, confirmed the rule, and emphasized to CNN that the ban extended to all face coverings.

"We mention on signs in here about full-face helmet and fully-covered jackets," he said. "Because of the current situation going on Sri Lanka, we have to take some tough decisions," he added.

The hotel's ban follows allegations that Muslim extremists were responsible for the coordinated attacks, which killed at least 359 people in churches and luxury hotels.

The Sri Lankan government has warned that attackers could still be at large, and several countries have issued travel warnings for the country.

====

^^^ so high rolling arabi sheikhs coming to enjoy the beaches and monsoon rains will have to uncover their women.
India should follow suit with the same rule applying to Kerala where most of these arabis come in rainy season.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 12:14

Vikas wrote:Currently it feels like as if Sri Lanka is a mine field with bombs going off in every lane and every other day.

several 100kg of high grade explosives would be distributed among the safehouses, with logistical team and leftovers of hit team on the run either looking to sneak away or go out in a blaze of glory for their 72.

cnn CT guest speaker was saying worry about motives and plots later, first deal with the imminent threat - and this is what SL seems to be doing with nightly curfews, raids, looking for abandoned vehicles ....

massa has closed its embassy till april 26. so surely thats based on some 'inputs'

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 24 Apr 2019 12:25

Questions regarding the blasts are

1. To have such explosives effect from such small Back packs, those explosives, detonators, electrical s, ball bearings- , bomb material were really good, probably military grade, I am sure the hotels would have had metal detectors at entry, so high grade plastic explosives

2. How was this stuff brought into the country- it cannot be bought in regular shops and DIY at home, or grow on trees

3. That means who whoever supplied them the materials and put the bombs together were state actors not some people in Syrian desert.

After one of the suicide Bomber husband died, the wife decided to blow herself with her 2 kids, definitely worse that Joseph Goebbels. when yu have soo much in life why do this?

What can be the motive? SL economy, hitting some western tourists! Why Christian Churches and Holiday makers in Sri Lanka ! what did they achieve?? 300 plus dead 400 injured. Seems such a colossal crime on random people!

Is this some trial run for trying the same thing somewhere else?

Anujan
Forum Moderator

Postby Anujan » 24 Apr 2019 12:30

Sri Lanka probably has remnants of arms smuggling networks used by LTTE. These kind of things do not go out of business overnight. Plus they probably have LTTE ammo stashes that enterprising people sell in the black market.

Getting explosives might not have been a problem.

What is amazing is that all bums seem to have gone off with devastating effect. Recall the british idiots who tried to blow up stuff and all they did was blow up their own musharraf and bled to death. So probably experienced bomb maker, and not one of those idiots who overnight decided to join ISIS and display their solidarity with baghdadi.

Sooner or later, some connection to balakote school of international soosai bumming is likely to emerge.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 12:51

Uk has suffered successful backpack attacks on london underground system. But not so powerful payload.

If all you want is kill christian “crusaders”, sri lankanis a soft target compared to india/europe/usa

Middle east has barely any christians. Killing african christians is doable but less media impact. Same for south america.

Remember the bali nightclub bombings that killed lot of australian tourists?

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 13:08

COLOMBO: One of the nine bombers that detonated explosives in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday was a woman, deputy defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene told reporters on Wednesday.

The blasts at hotels and churches have so far killed at least 359 people, the deadliest such event in south Asia's history.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 13:09

headcount of bombers seems to have increased from 8 to 9. certainly no woman was among the hefty lads in the ISIS group photo.

looking at how one woman blew herself up with 2 kids on being cornered by police, the rest of the wives will be as deadly and perhaps 1 wanted to come along with her hubby to be together in the afterlife.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 13:13

ibnlive

Colombo: Senior officials deliberately withheld intelligence about possible attacks on Sri Lanka, where a rash of suicide bombings on Easter Sunday killed at least 359 people, the leader of parliament said on Wednesday.

"Some top intelligence officials hid the intelligence information purposefully. Information was there, but the top brass security officials did not take appropriate actions," Lakshman Kiriella, who is also minister of public enterprise, told parliament.

He said information on possible suicide attacks on churches, hotels and politicians were received from Indian intelligence on April 4 and a Security Council meeting was chaired by President Maithripala Sirisena on April 7, but the information was not shared more widely.

"Somebody is controlling these top intelligence officials," the minister said. "The Security Council is doing politics. We need to investigate into this."

Separately, Sarath Fonseka, former army chief and minister of regional development, told parliament he believed the attacks "must have been planned for at least 7-8 years

===
^^ Fonseka was army chief when ltte was finished in 2009. later he fell out with mahinda rajpaksa and was jailed for a while iirc.

Manish_P
BRFite

Postby Manish_P » 24 Apr 2019 13:15

UlanBatori wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:
I think this was originally a double hit planned at India, but post Balakot and tight security in India made them divert to Sri Lanka with the Christchurch shooting as an excuse...

I too believe that. The general attack was perhaps planned for India, maybe in S. India. Same general time. Post-Balakot, ISI HQ denied permission, but since they realize that they are into "use it or lose it" territory, they moved the location south to SL.

Interesting.

One of my cousins (a Fredrick Forsyth fan) came up with what i thought was a rather imaginative CT.

He thought he saw similarities between this and the Fourth Protocol.

A senior ISI chap plans bombing in India, his junior who covets his post sees it as an opportunity to discredit him and leaks the info to the ruling head of goverment who panics (knowing his countries perilious financial situation will turn even worse if the OP is bungled as usual) and finds a way to warn India cryptically via his FM ('We have information that India is planning another strike against us between April 16 & 20"), India understands the hint and threatens hell fire if any such stunt happens. The senior ISI guy now fears his plans are probably blown but can't stand down or call back his assets without losing face and so directs them to do their stuff elsewhere.

I think i may have to read that book after all

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 14:03

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateral_Commission

seems to be another of the shadow quad hydra headed front ends. brezinski is a founder member.

Paul
BRF Oldie

Postby Paul » 24 Apr 2019 14:31

looking at how one woman blew herself up with 2 kids on being cornered by police, the rest of the wives will be as deadly and perhaps 1 wanted to come along with her hubby to be together in the afterlife.

She wants to stop him from claiming his 72....

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Postby Vikas » 24 Apr 2019 14:33

Ozcam's Razor: We Mujhahidin are now independent silos needing only material and training from Global Jehadi network. Rest we will handle at local level including choice of targets and day of terror attack.

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Postby Vikas » 24 Apr 2019 14:35

Paul wrote:

Or She wants her own 72. BTW Is there any mention of status of Shaheed women in Jannat in terror manual ?
Does she become part of 72 or does she gets her own 72 + 15 Or Even in Jannat, She remains a 79th class entity behind 72 raisins, 15 young boys and a goat.

chola
BRF Oldie

Postby chola » 24 Apr 2019 14:45

The f*ing Singhalese treated muzzies with kids gloves while slaughtering Tamils. Now they learn their lesson.

Or maybe not since the peaceful religionists targeted Christians not Buddhists.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 24 Apr 2019 14:50

Vikas wrote:
Paul wrote:

Or She wants her own 72. BTW Is there any mention of status of Shaheed women in Jannat in terror manual ?
Does she become part of 72 or does she gets her own 72 + 15 Or Even in Jannat, She remains a 79th class entity behind 72 raisins, 15 young boys and a goat.

As far as I know that there is only 1 hadith than most of the inhabitants of hell are women, no mention of what happens to them in heaven.

Now I think we dodged a bullet, imagine if these attacks had been done on an Indian Church- I bet the blame would have fallen on Hindutva- BJP- Sadvi Pragya etc., nobody would have waited for evidence. These guys were groomed by the ISI for sometime. Looks like they were activated with Pulwama humiliation and then slam dunk Hindu terror bogey with Church attacks, Balakot, cross border firing and Raw probably made an attack on India much tougher and risky, meanwhile these guys genie was out of the bottle and they had to used, once they had been prepared and sophisticated bombs supplied, they had to be unleashed so Sri Lankan churches were given as their Targets replacing Indian churches. Their handlers would have told them they will be told of thier targets soon.
SL machinery has been very silent of explosives, bombs, timer, detonators. back pack bombs with such quality exposives and killing material can't be put together by a novice team and such high grade explosives need to be manufactured in a military facility.
SL probably thought these guys were more of danger to India over the years and treated these guys with Kid gloves.

Paul
BRF Oldie

Postby Paul » 24 Apr 2019 15:06

LTTE used to routinely massacare SL Muslims. That must have made the Sinhalese think they were on the same side.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 15:10

Seductv
@Seductv
3h3 hours ago
More
Hard hitting speech by Sarath Fonseka in parliment right now... The entire military intelligence has failed this country... Blames the PM and State Minister of defence for not informing that they have not been part of National Security meetings till this attack happened...

rasanga samarasinghe
@rasangak
11h11 hours ago
More
Replying to @abcnews @akeenan23 and 2 others
The country that defeated the most ruthless terror outfit 10 years ago made vulnerable thanks the west the western funded ngo scavengers like this whos instrumental in bringing the current weak inept govt to power and dismantling its effective defence apparatus.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 15:12

Stanly Johny

@johnstanly
19h19 hours ago
More
ISIS is an ideology rather than an organisation. Its organisational structures were demolished, thanks to the Kurdish and Shia militias, but its ideological structures remain potent--that's what the bombings in #SriLanka, which never had the problem of Islamist terror, tells us.

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Postby IndraD » 24 Apr 2019 15:27

Singha wrote:Uk has suffered successful backpack attacks on london underground system. But not so powerful payload.

If all you want is kill christian “crusaders”, sri lankanis a soft target compared to india/europe/usa

Middle east has barely any christians. Killing african christians is doable but less media impact. Same for south america.

Remember the bali nightclub bombings that killed lot of australian tourists?

He was a Libyan fighter's son on British side. Too many too & fro flight between London & Tripoli yet no action was taken.
That was a fairly sophisticated stuff, the first remark from Scotland Yard.
Apart form that since 7/7 UK has remained free of visfotak attack, others like using car & knives are low tech attacks in worlds of intel bosses in UK .

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Postby IndraD » 24 Apr 2019 15:39

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -free-isis

Sri Lanka attacker studied in UK, says minister, amid warning more bombers on loose

He also revealed there had been a failed attack against a fourth major hotel, and that the Indian embassy was also a possible target.

attacks were carried out as a reprisal for the attacks on two mosques in Christchurch.

One of the Sri Lanka bombers studied in the UK and Australia before carrying out the bombings

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 24 Apr 2019 15:42

IndraD - true about UK, although some TATP wannabes were caught before they got too far down the launch ramp

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Postby Aditya_V » 24 Apr 2019 15:51

The above statement is biggest BS, the bombs were pretty complicated to small, compact, powerful and reliable multiple times. No amateur without an Industrialized set up can produce these.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 24 Apr 2019 15:55

the bali leader was apparently a phd from the UK.

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Postby A_Gupta » 24 Apr 2019 16:02

Kashi wrote:
A_Gupta wrote:In today's US, the fact that Russia attacked the 2016 US elections is the single clearest fact there is

Not to go off topic, but is it really?

Yes, I'l answer you on the "Understanding USA" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7615&p=2346161#p2346161

ranneel
BRFite -Trainee

Postby ranneel » 24 Apr 2019 16:14

IndraD wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/24/sri-lanka-attacks-security-overhaul-bombers-still-free-isis

From the same article:
Among those arrested in Tuesday’s round-up were six Pakistani refugees, including two women and two children. “Can you help us?” a Pakistan man asked from his cell at Katana police station, as a woman nearby flashed her UNHCR refugee identification.

The inspector at the station, MA Senavirathne, said CCTV cameras and telephone evidence had shown that the alleged bomber of St Sebastian’s church in Negombo may have visited the refugees at their home.

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Postby A_Gupta » 24 Apr 2019 16:22

Singha wrote:headcount of bombers seems to have increased from 8 to 9. certainly no woman was among the hefty lads in the ISIS group photo.

To be plus one to the 72????

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Postby A_Gupta » 24 Apr 2019 16:41

Re: ISIS - one blows up in suicide bombings one's presumably most dedicated members readily, because one is sure that the supply is endless. People from more than 80 countries joined ISIS in the battlefield in Syria. This is more than enough to provoke Islamophobia.

menon s
BRFite

Postby menon s » 24 Apr 2019 16:41

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”