Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion- Post PM appointment crisis

Post by chetak »

looks like the vultures are coming home to roost, this dirty work at the crossroads could never have been done by mere chickens....

The news is old but this is how things went down in SL and how the BIF was directly supporting the separatists

As it did then, and as it does even today, it has deep implications for the Indian security apparatus and the Indian state

this is also how the separatist movement in TN is being run by the dravidians and the BIF behind them

Sri Lanka accuses Oslo envoy Erik Solheim of financing Tamil Tigers (2014) https://scmp.com/news/asia/article/1641 ... ce=Twitter

Is this you, @ErikSolheim? Looks like you were a very naughty boy

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/ ... ce=Twitter

Published: 5:15am, 17 Nov, 2014

Sri Lanka's president has accused a top Norwegian envoy of covertly financing the island's separatist Tamil Tigers during peace talks ahead of a military campaign that crushed the rebels in 2009.

President Mahinda Rajapakse told a public rally on Saturday that he wanted Oslo to probe the role of Erik Solheim, a former Norwegian international development minister and a peace envoy to Sri Lanka.
Solheim failed to secure a peace deal despite arranging a truce which broke down in April 2006. Three years later, Sri Lankan forces extinguished the separatist campaign in a controversial military campaign.

Rajapakse in his address, a copy of which was obtained from his office, said Solheim gave money to the Tigers even while peace moves were under way.

Solheim, a key figure who led Norwegian peace efforts between 1999 and 2006, recently announced his willingness to give evidence before any international tribunal investigating Sri Lanka's war record.

Sri Lanka crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) by May 2009 in a massive military operation that also triggered allegations that troops killed up to 40,000 Tamil civilians, a charge Colombo denies.

"Solheim told me that our forces will never be able to defeat the LTTE. He said [leader Velupillai] Prabhakaran is a very very clear man. A military genius," Rajapakse said. "Today Solheim is trying to jump up and give evidence against us. The Norwegian government should investigate his conduct. We have evidence of him giving money to the LTTE. We are ready to share that evidence."
Solheim was not immediately available for comment.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

X posted from the political thread

Now you know why Indian "fishermen" and Indian "fishing boats" are to be found deep in srilankan waters, where they have no bleddy business to be.

The abrahamic supported separatists and the LTTE operating out of dravida nadu are the primary movers and shakers of this network when it leaves mainland India for SL and thereafter to the consumer destinations in EU, UK , USA and singapore and nearby markets.

Drugs originating in afghanistan, with the ISIS of khorasan doing the sales and distribution, finds its way to India via the punjab land route, from paki via ports in iran to Indian ports, from paki via mid ocean transhipment to gulf state flagged eyraab dhows making landfall via lakshadweep to ports in KER, from beediland by land route to kolkata, via myanmar via land route to the northeast, via sea route to ports in AP, vizag becoming a new and growing hub for this trade.

very frequent incursions into srilankan waters by "fishing boats" often carrying weapons, drugs, and illegal human traffic, a vast majority or the boat crews being abrahamic, supported by the dravidian powers that be and the padres who have virtually captured the entire coast line so that no eyes can spy on them when the "fishing boats" go out "fishing"

Hindus have been muscled out of these areas in spite of it being of enormous religious significance to them.

For some years now, the reverse traffic into dravida nadu is used for carrying huge quantities of gold flooding into India. The "fishing boats" are all owned by political luminaries whose names, if revealed, will shock you.

https://thecommunemag.com/dmk-councillo ... sri-lanka/

DMK Councillor Arrested For Trying To Smuggle Cocaine Worth ₹360 Crores To Sri Lanka

November 29, 2022 The Commune

A DMK councillor and a former councillor have been arrested by Tamil Nadu coastal police in connection with the seizure of cocaine worth ₹360 crores destined for Sri Lanka from Rameswaram.

On Saturday (26 November 2022), coast guard police conducted an intensive surveillance activity on the Mandapam-Vedalai road near Rameswaram in Ramanathapuram district.

Police stopped a speeding luxury car during the search and discovered 20 liters of cocaine raw substance stored in 30 containers. Following an investigation, it was discovered that the raw substance was planned to be transported to Sri Lanka in a boat owned by Sadiq Ali, 36, of Rameshwaram.

The police seized the drug and arrested the brothers in the car, Jainuddin (45), a former DMK councilor of Keezhakarai municipality, and Sarbraz Nawaz (42), currently the DMK councilor of 19th ward of Rameshwaram.

The value of the drugs seized is touted to fetch around ₹360 crore in the international drug racket. This is the first time that police have seized high-value drugs intended for smuggling into Sri Lanka in the Ramanathapuram district.

The DMK brothers, who were involved in drug trafficking to Sri Lanka, are running a cargo truck service company. They were investigated by central and state intelligence agencies for possible links to international drug trafficking and ‘mafia’ gangs. The attempt to smuggle drugs worth crores of rupees into Sri Lanka in a country boat disguised as a fisherman has shocked the fishermen in the locality. Many say that such activities are bringing disrepute and affects the livelihood of the community as it raises concerns among Sri Lankan Navy who use this as a pretext to arrest and detain them.

(With inputs from Dinamalar)
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

chetak wrote:X posted from the political thread

Now you know why Indian "fishermen" and Indian "fishing boats" are to be found deep in srilankan waters, where they have no bleddy business to be.

The abrahamic supported separatists and the LTTE operating out of dravida nadu are the primary movers and shakers of this network when it leaves mainland India for SL and thereafter to the consumer destinations in EU, UK , USA and singapore and nearby markets.

Drugs originating in afghanistan, with the ISIS of khorasan doing the sales and distribution, finds its way to India via the punjab land route, from paki via ports in iran to Indian ports, from paki via mid ocean transhipment to gulf state flagged eyraab dhows making landfall via lakshadweep to ports in KER, from beediland by land route to kolkata, via myanmar via land route to the northeast, via sea route to ports in AP, vizag becoming a new and growing hub for this trade.

very frequent incursions into srilankan waters by "fishing boats" often carrying weapons, drugs, and illegal human traffic, a vast majority or the boat crews being abrahamic, supported by the dravidian powers that be and the padres who have virtually captured the entire coast line so that no eyes can spy on them when the "fishing boats" go out "fishing"

Hindus have been muscled out of these areas in spite of it being of enormous religious significance to them.

For some years now, the reverse traffic into dravida nadu is used for carrying huge quantities of gold flooding into India. The "fishing boats" are all owned by political luminaries whose names, if revealed, will shock you.

https://thecommunemag.com/dmk-councillo ... sri-lanka/

DMK Councillor Arrested For Trying To Smuggle Cocaine Worth ₹360 Crores To Sri Lanka

November 29, 2022 The Commune

A DMK councillor and a former councillor have been arrested by Tamil Nadu coastal police in connection with the seizure of cocaine worth ₹360 crores destined for Sri Lanka from Rameswaram.

On Saturday (26 November 2022), coast guard police conducted an intensive surveillance activity on the Mandapam-Vedalai road near Rameswaram in Ramanathapuram district.

Police stopped a speeding luxury car during the search and discovered 20 liters of cocaine raw substance stored in 30 containers. Following an investigation, it was discovered that the raw substance was planned to be transported to Sri Lanka in a boat owned by Sadiq Ali, 36, of Rameshwaram.

The police seized the drug and arrested the brothers in the car, Jainuddin (45), a former DMK councilor of Keezhakarai municipality, and Sarbraz Nawaz (42), currently the DMK councilor of 19th ward of Rameshwaram.

The value of the drugs seized is touted to fetch around ₹360 crore in the international drug racket. This is the first time that police have seized high-value drugs intended for smuggling into Sri Lanka in the Ramanathapuram district.

The DMK brothers, who were involved in drug trafficking to Sri Lanka, are running a cargo truck service company. They were investigated by central and state intelligence agencies for possible links to international drug trafficking and ‘mafia’ gangs. The attempt to smuggle drugs worth crores of rupees into Sri Lanka in a country boat disguised as a fisherman has shocked the fishermen in the locality. Many say that such activities are bringing disrepute and affects the livelihood of the community as it raises concerns among Sri Lankan Navy who use this as a pretext to arrest and detain them.

(With inputs from Dinamalar)
I have authentic information that a nexus of SL Muslim politicians (elected from Vanni and Trinco-Batti-Amparai) are smuggling drugs from Afghanistan via the port of Karachi with active ISI help by boat to Kerala and Tamil Nadu from where DMK’s Muslim leaders (like in the previous articles) are selling the drugs to Hindus in India and across the Palk Straits in Jaffna, Vanni, Trincomalee, Batticaloa and Amparai
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

My latest article for the Project O Five blog:

From the Eyes of a Tiger: International Dimensions of the Sri Lankan civil war – Part I
https://projectofive.ca/2023/01/04/from ... ar-part-i/
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Tuan wrote:My latest article for the Project O Five blog:

From the Eyes of a Tiger: International Dimensions of the Sri Lankan civil war – Part I
https://projectofive.ca/2023/01/04/from ... ar-part-i/
Nice Article
In the early 1990s, when I was the naval intelligence officer of the LTTE, I underwent a training course by a Norwegian mercenary known as Thariya.
Thariya was a former member of the Norwegian special forces.
The Norwegian mercenary effectively trained an underwater demolition team of Sea Tigers for a month-long stay at Chaalai Sea Tiger Base in Mullaitivu. It is unknown whether the Norwegian government knew about their citizen’s involvement in training a designated terrorist organization in Sri Lanka;
while Norway engaged in negotiation with LTTE between 2002-2006, the Norwegian government aided and funded the terrorist organization
etween 1992-1995, when I was gathering intelligence to build the models of the Sri Lankan gunboats and fast attack crafts, the LTTE leader Prabhakaran’s military advisor Thinesh Master gave me some blueprints of the Sri Lankan naval gunboats and fast attack crafts, among which a detailed plan and the blueprints of the Israeli-built Super Dvora fast attack craft and its Oerlikon 20 mm cannon. Thinesh Master told me that these blueprints were acquired from Israel.
Looks like many countries were training and Arming both sides, I strongly suspect this 2 motivations, dont let India and SL band together, Eelam in SL first and then use DMK and like parties for a Eelam in TN and Kerala
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

From the Eyes of a Tiger: The OSINT as a catalyst for terrorists – Part II
https://projectofive.ca/2023/01/08/from ... s-part-ii/
The collection, selection, and exploitation of OSINT are impossible to counter in the face of a well-structured and determined organization such as the LTTE since much of the vital intelligence is widely available in the vast sea of open sources.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

sri-lanka-to-slash-military-by-a-third-to-cut-costs
Agree that SL are facing difficult times.
Hope this doesnt translate into : free reins for Drug running given the JIhadi/BIF/Dravidian Politico combine or Jihadi terror or LTTE raising its head a la Phoenix type
What does it imply for our penisular security??
And more importantly Chini dakalandazi!! if so how much
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Sri Lanka ex-leader ordered to compensate Easter bombing victims
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/1 ... er-attacks

Supreme Court finds former President Maithripala Sirisena and four other officials were responsible for failing to prevent the deadly attacks. In other words, the real mastermind of the Easter Sunday bombing and former pro-China President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has succeeded in scapegoating former pro-India President Maithripala Sirisena.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

From the Eyes of a Tiger: Schizo-affect resulting from being a former child soldier – Part III
https://projectofive.ca/2023/01/18/from ... -part-iii/
Daily guilt, persistent nightmares resulting from my involvement in the civil war, and helplessness in faraway Canada, I slipped into depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, which gradually evolved into schizoaffective disorder in September 2001, soon after I arrived in Canada. Due to many years of prolonged treatment, the influence psychopharmacology has had on my life, and the effect that the drugs have had on my mind and behavior, I was ultimately changed into a different person. The antipsychotic drugs had a significant impact on my personality and outlook. As I internalized the treatment and conditioning, I came to misbelieve psychologically and biologically that I had a severe mental disorder and that I could no longer live without the antipsychotic drugs.

Moreover, due to the antipsychotic drugs and chemical imbalance in my body, I suffer from many different side effects, such as obesity, hyper-cholesterol, hyper-thyroid, extreme fatigue, short-term memory loss, loss of focus, and loss of concentration. One thing led to another, and I find myself today, after more than twenty years of ongoing treatment, I have been conditioned and dependent on these drugs. If I ever stop taking the prescribed medications, I will relapse.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I hope you are getting there. Your cognition and intellect seem intact. And that is so important.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Tuan,
I don't know the veracity of the things claimed in that article, especially about Subhash Chandra Bose, and the SL civil war - I'm not a historian, but there is a false equivalence being drawn between Indians fighting coloniser British in India and Srilankan Tamil's violence and terrorism against their own state.

If 2 cultures Tamil & Sinhalese could not live together despite same ethnicity, just try to imagine how 1Billion + people of India held together despite immense ethnic, cultural, linguistic and religious diversity. We have our problems but we manage to resolve them without degenerating into civil war. They key is tolerance which is an implicit basic tenet of Hinduism with its diverse deities, divinities and schools of philisophy. Everyone can and many do seek the meaning of life and "truth" but no one claims his view or book is ultimate and all the rest are false.

The roots of the civil war in Sri Lanka may perhaps lie in the loss of tolerance and mutual respect due to the gain of Xtian evangelisation.

Tamil Elam was a way point in the Xian west's plan to dismember India by separating "dravidian" south by selling them the idea of a Tamil country that spans across Palk straits. Lot of tamils on both sides fell for it. Some in India still nurture this divisive pipe dream.
Moreover, due to the antipsychotic drugs and chemical imbalance in my body, I suffer from many different side effects, such as obesity, hyper-cholesterol, hyper-thyroid, extreme fatigue, short-term memory loss, loss of focus, and loss of concentration. One thing led to another, and I find myself today, after more than twenty years of ongoing treatment, I have been conditioned and dependent on these drugs. If I ever stop taking the prescribed medications, I will relapse.
Friendship with the Chinese is exactly the same thing for Srilanka. Srilankans who complain about India's "big brother attitude" will do well to be vigilant about China's "I master you slave" exploitative attitude.

Indian EAM was in Sri Lanka recently to restructure debt and help economic revival. Hope the SL govt could perceive and appreciate Indian approach compared to the Chinese. SL may still play along with India on the surface and continue to dance with China, that prerogative is yours and so will be its consequences.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

+1 Well put, Cyrano ji. On point.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Cyrano wrote:Tuan,
I don't know the veracity of the things claimed in that article, especially about Subhash Chandra Bose, and the SL civil war - I'm not a historian, but there is a false equivalence being drawn between Indians fighting coloniser British in India and Srilankan Tamil's violence and terrorism against their own state.

If 2 cultures Tamil & Sinhalese could not live together despite same ethnicity, just try to imagine how 1Billion + people of India held together despite immense ethnic, cultural, linguistic and religious diversity. We have our problems but we manage to resolve them without degenerating into civil war. The key is tolerance, an implicit basic tenet of Hinduism with its diverse deities, divinities and schools of philisophy. Everyone can and many do seek the meaning of life and "truth" but no one claims his view or book is ultimate and all the rest are false.
Cyrano,

While I agree with you that the ideology of the INA may differ compared mainly from that of the LTTE, the methodology of both LTTE and INA were conspicuously the same.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

By the same logic you are ok to equate LTTE with Taliban and ISIS ?
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Cyrano wrote:By the same logic, are you ok with equating LTTE with Taliban and ISIS?
Let me quote my article once again.
During an interview, LTTE's political ideologue Anton Balasingham once stated that "in the context of the war on terror, any non-state actor, who are terrorists according to one nation-state can be a legitimate entity for another nation-state and vice-versa. Thus, in my opinion, the definition of terrorism is viewed by whose side of the fence you are on".
Do you see a pattern that any non-state actor who is a terrorist, according to one nation-state, can be a legitimate entity for another nation-state and vice-versa? In the eyes of India and many other western nations' counterterrorism literature, the Taliban may very well be terrorists. At the same time, other nation-states such as Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar might see the Taliban as Jihadist freedom fighters. Even in the case of LTTE, once upon a time, it was a freedom-fighting organization, according to Indra Gandhi's administration. Meanwhile, J.R. Jeyawardena's administration saw the LTTE as terrorists. Then, there was a sudden shift in Indo-Lanka relations between 1987-1990. The Rajiv Gandhi administration saw LTTE as terrorists. At the same time, Ranasinge Premadasa called the LTTE freedom fighters and invited them for talks, which led to the ousting of the IPKF from Sri Lanka. Therefore, as Balasingam stated, "the definition of terrorism is viewed by whose side of the fence you are on."
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

@tuan @cyrano

Maybe the key issue in deciding what is legitimate is not so much methods (though actual terrorist methods designed to harm and terrify non combatants can never be legitimate), or rebelling against an established state. Instead we should look at dharma and duty.

If the state is an evil thieving enslaver and mass murderer like British India, fighting against it is legitimate and a dharmic duty, and there can be much leeway in methods. If it is a potential (at this time) defender of dharma with no better alternative in sight, like the Indian state, then fighting against is illegitimate and adharmic. Dharmic duty here is to crush the rebels.

If the state is ethnically disputed and unbalanced, but otherwise nothing can be said either way about which side dharma is, like in Sri Lanka-Eelam war—just two groups fighting for supremacy & glory— then it is a civil war with no moral component. Only in this case, “one man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist” equal-equal logic applies.

As cyrano said, the dharmic solution in the third case is to develop a way to live together and strengthen the cause of dharma. Wisdom is required to discern what is dharma, of course.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

What is this assurance given by India?
IMF confirms receipt of India’s financing assurances for Sri Lanka
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has confirmed receiving India’s written financing assurance in support of Sri Lanka’s economic revival, Reuters news agency reported, while Sri Lanka has expressed hope of completing talks on debt restructuring in six months’ time.

“We confirm that India has indicated to the IMF management that it is committed to deliver financing/debt relief consistent with restoring the sustainability of Sri Lanka’s public debt under the prospective IMF-supported programme,” a spokesperson of the IMF, who welcomed India’s assurance, was quoted as saying.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tuan wrote:
Cyrano wrote:By the same logic, are you ok with equating LTTE with Taliban and ISIS?
Let me quote my article once again.
During an interview, LTTE's political ideologue Anton Balasingham once stated that "in the context of the war on terror, any non-state actor, who are terrorists according to one nation-state can be a legitimate entity for another nation-state and vice-versa. Thus, in my opinion, the definition of terrorism is viewed by whose side of the fence you are on".
Do you see a pattern that any non-state actor who is a terrorist, according to one nation-state, can be a legitimate entity for another nation-state and vice-versa? In the eyes of India and many other western nations' counterterrorism literature, the Taliban may very well be terrorists. At the same time, other nation-states such as Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar might see the Taliban as Jihadist freedom fighters. Even in the case of LTTE, once upon a time, it was a freedom-fighting organization, according to Indra Gandhi's administration. Meanwhile, J.R. Jeyawardena's administration saw the LTTE as terrorists. Then, there was a sudden shift in Indo-Lanka relations between 1987-1990. The Rajiv Gandhi administration saw LTTE as terrorists. At the same time, Ranasinge Premadasa called the LTTE freedom fighters and invited them for talks, which led to the ousting of the IPKF from Sri Lanka. Therefore, as Balasingam stated, "the definition of terrorism is viewed by whose side of the fence you are on."
Tuan ji,

LTTE's political ideologue anton balasingham was just that, an ideologue whose job it was to confuse, confound, divert, propagandize and lie to meet the LTTEs stated long term goals and influence evolving short term situations and narratives so as to maximize political benefit and drive ideological intentions by tactically using legitimate means or even suborning illegitimate resources to influence other's view of violence and murder as a means to make headway and seize social and/or moral high ground to their organisations benefit.

They had to try and explain away their violence in a socially sanctified and ideologically palatable construct so as to project it as an acceptable way where they were "forced" to do a lot of killing and bombings

That is why India has been fighting for the longest time to evolve an internationally accepted definition of the word "terrorist" so that all including the pakis, commies and the desert cult jihadis are on the same page

and there is a lot of resistance for just such a consensus to evolve a common definition of this word, so that many shady jehadi nations can play fast and loose when it comes to taking their share of the blame for jihadi and terrorist attacks across borders that are either state sponsored or have provably originated from within their sovereign borders

simply stated, India says and also wants that a terrorist in one country should be treated as a terrorist in all countries across the globe and be subject to a common legal/police action if apprehended anywhere in other countries after commission of an offence in any country
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

chetak wrote: simply stated, India says and also wants that a terrorist in one country should be treated as a terrorist in all countries across the globe and be subject to a common legal/police action if apprehended anywhere in other countries after commission of an offence in any country
You overlooked the obvious though.

Wondering how would you frame Mukti Bahini and Shanti Bahini in this context? Would they be labeled terrorists by India, because Pakistan and Bangladesh viewed them as terrorists, respectively?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tuan wrote:
chetak wrote: simply stated, India says and also wants that a terrorist in one country should be treated as a terrorist in all countries across the globe and be subject to a common legal/police action if apprehended anywhere in other countries after commission of an offence in any country
You overlooked the obvious though.

Wondering how would you frame Mukti Bahini and Shanti Bahini in this context? Would they be labeled terrorists by India, because Pakistan and Bangladesh viewed them as terrorists, respectively?
if one keeps going back in history, then there is no end to it

likewise, wonder what the uyghurs would make of the hans

India intervened sharply and pointedly in the maldives, SL, and bangladesh, and left them to their own devices once the situation had been normalized

we should ask these countries about what they think of the quality of aid being provided by India vs that provided by other big countries.

We are a no strings attached aid giver, with the exception of those transparent conditions mandated by globally accepted financial practices.

BTW, terrorism exists in the financial form too, wouldn't you agree, Tuan ji.....

the terrorist issue became globally alarming post 9/11, and all attempts to formulate the definition should start from there
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Sri Lanka, India to sign power grid linking pact within two months.

Sri Lanka and India will sign a pact to link their power grids and start negotiations on an upgraded trade agreement within two months, a Sri Lankan diplomat said on Wednesday, as the island nation seeks a way out of its worst economic crisis in decades.

India has provided some $4 billion in assistance to its southern neighbour since the crisis hit early last year, but Sri Lanka is now seeking to enhance trade and investments as it moves to close a $2.9 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund, the country's envoy to New Delhi told Reuters.

"We have to have growth, otherwise basically the economy will shrink," Milinda Moragoda said.

"As far as growth is concerned, India offers that prospect. So we will have to move on that. Tourism from India, investment from India, integration with India. That's what we have to do."

A key part of Sri Lanka's economic recovery plan rests on developing its renewable energy resources in the island's north, from where power can be transported into southern India through a cross-border transmission cable.

The two countries resumed talks on linking their electricity grids last year, and Moragoda said a memorandum of understanding on the project would be signed within two months, which will be followed by a feasibility study.

First proposed more than a decade ago, the project has made little progress so far. But Moragoda said Sri Lanka hoped to get the transmission line in place within two to three years so that renewable power produced on the island can be sold to India.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Vips wrote:Sri Lanka, India to sign power grid linking pact within two months.

Sri Lanka and India will sign a pact to link their power grids and start negotiations on an upgraded trade agreement within two months, a Sri Lankan diplomat said on Wednesday, as the island nation seeks a way out of its worst economic crisis in decades.

India has provided some $4 billion in assistance to its southern neighbour since the crisis hit early last year, but Sri Lanka is now seeking to enhance trade and investments as it moves to close a $2.9 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund, the country's envoy to New Delhi told Reuters.

"We have to have growth, otherwise basically the economy will shrink," Milinda Moragoda said.

"As far as growth is concerned, India offers that prospect. So we will have to move on that. Tourism from India, investment from India, integration with India. That's what we have to do."

A key part of Sri Lanka's economic recovery plan rests on developing its renewable energy resources in the island's north, from where power can be transported into southern India through a cross-border transmission cable.

The two countries resumed talks on linking their electricity grids last year, and Moragoda said a memorandum of understanding on the project would be signed within two months, which will be followed by a feasibility study.

First proposed more than a decade ago, the project has made little progress so far. But Moragoda said Sri Lanka hoped to get the transmission line in place within two to three years so that renewable power produced on the island could be sold to India.

SL does not have enough power, and they want to export energy to India. I think Malinda Moragoda must be smoking something good. GoI should be careful with this guy because Malinda Moragoda and Rohan Gunaratna facilitated a split within the LTTE back in 2004 with the help of a clandestine US intelligence think tank. I wonder which think tank he works at now...
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Any takeaways from Annamalai's (raising BJP star and party head in TN) recent visit to SL ?
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

I think the idea is to use Indian loans/funding to create solar power gen and sell to ind at reduced rates.
Creates a dependence of sl on India for the remittance but ind doesn't need to be dependent on it since it's can connected to the grid.

If Ind plays it's card right (loan from ind, solar panels from ind, dependence of the sensitive north SL on India's payments for the power) it can be an effective carrot AND stick
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

bharathp wrote:I think the idea is to use Indian loans/funding to create solar power gen and sell to ind at reduced rates.
Creates a dependence of sl on India for the remittance but ind doesn't need to be dependent on it since it's can connected to the grid.

If Ind plays it's card right (loan from ind, solar panels from ind, dependence of the sensitive north SL on India's payments for the power) it can be an effective carrot AND stick
not to mention the fact that the power in the grid can, just as easily, also flow the other way
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Mostly it will be two way traffic of power across the transmission lines. Power tariffs in India are fairly competitive.

It will be similar to what is being done with Bangladesh.
Sooner or later the grid in Nepal will also be integrated with India.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

If it is Indian funds paying for his renewable energy project so that he can sell back to India at a profit, why is this fellow making it appear like he is doing us a favour. We need to be wary of these guys, ensure that they don't subcontract to Chinese or buy Chinese equipment etc and always keep tabs on them so that they don't backstab us once the Chinese moolah starts flowing again. The pro-China factions still are very close to power, they have just taken a temporary pause to avoid the prevailing public sentiment.

And if signing free trade deals with them we need to ensure that they aren't used as a backdoor route for Chinese dumping like in the past.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Chinese still produce over 90% silicon wafers made in the world needed to make solar panels.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Bart S wrote:If it is Indian funds paying for his renewable energy project so that he can sell back to India at a profit, why is this fellow making it appear like he is doing us a favour. We need to be wary of these guys, ensure that they don't subcontract to Chinese or buy Chinese equipment etc and always keep tabs on them so that they don't backstab us once the Chinese moolah starts flowing again. The pro-China factions still are very close to power, they have just taken a temporary pause to avoid the prevailing public sentiment.

And if signing free trade deals with them we need to ensure that they aren't used as a backdoor route for Chinese dumping like in the past.
You are absolutely right. This Morogoda guy cannot be trusted as he plays games. While he was justice minister under the Rajapaksa administration he once said that India does not need to fear China's "generous" aid to Sri Lankans because Sri Lanka maintains an equidistant foreign policy.

Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milinda_Moragoda

On another note: China expresses support for Sri Lanka ahead of debt meeting
Beijing is one of Sri Lanka’s biggest creditors after extending it loans under President Xi Jinping’s Belt and Road Initiative, which expands trade by building ports and other facilities across Asia and Africa. China has offered a two-year suspension of repayments but balked at reducing the amount owed. That is an obstacle to obtaining an emergency loan from the International Monetary Fund, which wants creditors to agree to debt reductions.

Chinese officials are due to attend a meeting of lenders organized by the IMF and the Paris Club of government creditors. The IMF’s managing director, Kristalina Georgieva, said last month the agency was talking with Beijing about ways of “reducing the burden of debt.”

The Paris Club, after announcing last week its assurances on working with Sri Lanka, said, “The Paris Club members as well as Hungary and Saudi Arabia urged other official bilateral creditors, including China, to do the same in line with IMF program parameters as soon as possible.”

China accounts for about 10% of Sri Lanka’s $51 billion foreign debt. The island nation of 22 million people ran out of foreign currency last year. That triggered power cuts, food shortages and protests that forced a president and prime minister to resign.

China is “willing to work with relevant countries and international financial institutions to continue to play a positive role to help Sri Lanka get over current difficulties,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said when asked whether Beijing would agree to a debt reduction.

Wang repeated an earlier official statement saying that China supports Sri Lanka’s application for an IMF loan and would help its government ask for help from commercial and other creditors.

The China Export-Import Bank last month offered Sri Lanka a two-year repayment suspension. An American official said that was too little and called on Beijing to offer more relief.

“We are in direct discussions with China,” Sri Lankan President Rani Wickremesinghe said last week in a speech to Parliament. “We are now working towards unifying the approaches of other countries and that of China.”

Sri Lanka’s situation reflects conditions across dozens of countries, from South Pacific islands to some of the poorest in Asia and Africa, that borrowed under the Belt and Road Initiative. The total debt of poor countries is rising, increasing the risk that others might also run into trouble.

Beijing has forgiven interest owed by some but has avoided writing down the amount borrowed.

Economists say Beijing probably is resisting cuts to Sri Lanka’s debt for fear that other borrowers will want similar relief. Last April, then-opposition leader Wickremesinghe told Republic TV that China offered an additional $1 billion loan instead of reducing Sri Lanka’s debt. That would allow the government to make payments, but the total amount owed would rise.

Georgieva said IMF officials who visited Beijing discussed with Chinese officials a “pathway for debt reduction” for Chad, Zambia, Sri Lanka and other struggling debtors.

A “very broadly shared” notion in China is that the country wants to help but “they expect to be paid back,” Georgieva said.

That makes a reduction in the amount borrowed “politically very difficult,” Georgieva said. But she said there “might be a way to reach the same objective” by changing interest rates or repayment terms.

Sri Lanka is trying to complete negotiations by the end of March, government spokesperson Bandula Gunawardena said Tuesday. Gunawardena said the IMF has concluded that China’s offer of relief “is not sufficient.”

“I hope the IMF will, by March, be able to ensure that the debt restructuring can begin,” Wickremesinghe said Wednesday.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

More on Morogoda:

Pawns of Peace
Evaluation of Norwegian peace efforts
in Sri Lanka, 1997-2009

Who has received the Norwegian funds?

In 1999 the DAC codes changed and the codes prior to 1999 and after is not
directly comparable. The classification and the descriptions of the projects also
seem to have change after 1999. The figures prior to and after 1999 are therefore
incompatible, and we have chosen to separate the figures in our statistical presentation.
In the table below we have listed the agreement partners which have received more
than 10 million NOK in the period 1999-2009. The figures are given in 1000 NOK.
Norwegian funds have been disbursed to approximately 240 different agreement
partners in this period.

The most important partners in terms of aid volume have been Norwegian NGOs
and the Sri Lankan government, whereas the major bulk of funds have been channeled
through the Sri Lanka Department of External Resources. The most important

NGOs have been FORUT, the Norwegian Refugee Council, the Norwegian People´s
Pawns of Peace – Evaluation of Norwegian peace efforts in Sri Lanka, 1997-2009 159
Aid, Norwegian Red Cross, and Save the Children. Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission and
the UNCR have also receive substantial funding from Norway in this period.
The funds channeled via Sri Lankan NGO’s have been much more dispersed. One
important exception is the Milinda Moragoda Inst, which has received more than
60 million NOK together with the Indian NGOs Horizon and Sarvatra since 2003.
Also the Foundation for Co-Existence (FCE) has been a large recipient of Norwegian
aid in this period.
Other important partners on the Sri Lankan side have been the
Peace Secretariat of the Liberation Tiges of Tamil Eelam, Sareeram SL National
Foundation, Sri Lanka Press Institute and Hambantota District Chamber.1
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

An ongoing lawsuit against Rohan Gunaratna and Malinda Moragoda:

https://projectofive.ca/2023/02/16/affi ... -a-murali/
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Cyrano wrote:Chinese still produce over 90% silicon wafers made in the world needed to make solar panels.
Yes but what we don't want is some Chinese companies to be involved like they attempted with the wind farm on sensitive islands close to India, that too when they are expecting us to finance it.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... s?from=mdr
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

This had better just be a false alarm, and had better not be an actual plan

If this ever materializes, then we should straight-up dress up our own military personnel as LTTE and call it "Eelam War V" - and then proceed to rack up a very high Han bodycount. It's not like Chinese can tell the difference between a Jaffna-ite and a Bihari. We all look alike to them. China has Little Blue Men -- so why shouldn't we?

Just make sure to capture lots of POWs - so that we can post their wailing faces on TikTok, begging their families to demand Emperor Xi bring them back home.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

sanman wrote:This had better just be a false alarm, and had better not be an actual plan

If this ever materializes, then we should straight-up dress up our own military personnel as LTTE and call it "Eelam War V" - and then proceed to rack up a very high Han bodycount. It's not like Chinese can tell the difference between a Jaffna-ite and a Bihari. We all look alike to them. China has Little Blue Men -- so why shouldn't we?

Just make sure to capture lots of POWs - so that we can post their wailing faces on TikTok, begging their families to demand Emperor Xi bring them back home.
This is just a Sri Lankan military PSYOP so that they can get more aid from India :lol:

This happens because India closes its eyes and be silent when PLA special forces team up with Sri Lankan military intelligence to carry out an audacious operation like the Easter Sunday bombing and baselessly blame it on ISIS and NTJ. Tomorrow is the 4th anniversary of the 2019 Easter Sunday Bombing in Sri Lanka. There is no justice for the victims to date. The record is hardly encouraging...
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

sanman wrote:If China has Little Blue Men -- so why shouldn't we?
In the same vein, I could question if China conducted military drills in its neighbourhood around Taiwan, then why has India not conducted military drills in its neighbourhood around Sri Lanka, instead of conducting joint exercises with Sri Lanka? I mean Sri Lanka seems to behave hostile to India, rather than friendly, given the extent of this report.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tuan wrote:
sanman wrote:If China has Little Blue Men -- so why shouldn't we?
In the same vein, I could question if China conducted military drills in its neighbourhood around Taiwan, then why has India not conducted military drills in its neighbourhood around Sri Lanka, instead of conducting joint exercises with Sri Lanka? I mean Sri Lanka seems to behave hostile to India, rather than friendly, given the extent of this report.
why doesn't India lease land around hambantotha to set up a MIL base for itself.

Sauce, goose, gander, and all that

After all, using the established cheeni logic, Indian kings had conquered SL, when the cheeni were running around in their langotes and we had suzerainty.
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

Sri Lankan Church still seeking justice for 2019 Easter Sunday bombings - Vatican News
As Sri Lankan Christians mark four years since the Easter Sunday bombings which killed 261 people, the local Church continues to allege a cover-up and seek justice by calling for a UN-led international investigation, according to Fr. Julian Patrick Perera.

By Devin Watkins

“We consider that finding justice and revealing the truth is a national service that we can do to our country, because we are a minority religion in Sri Lanka.”

Fr. Julian Patrick Perera, a secretary to the legal team of the Archdiocese of Colombo, offered that assessment of the local Church’s efforts to find and prosecute the perpetrators of the 2019 Easter Sunday bombings.

On 21 April 2019, terrorist bombers attacked two Catholic churches, an evangelical Christian church, and three luxury hotels, as well as a housing complex and a guest house.

The eight suicide bombers, whom the government alleged were linked to the so-called Islamic State, killed 261 people in the coordinated attacks.

Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, the Archbishop of Colombo, has questioned the government’s narrative of attacks and has consistently called for an international investigation.

Allegations of a cover up

In an interview with Vatican News to mark the fourth anniversary of the tragedy, Fr. Perera lamented the lack of justice for the Easter Sunday bombings, saying there has been “no proper investigation completed on the whole issue”.

He noted there appears to be evidence of a cover-up, pointing to the removal of several key investigators from the case.

“There is also a kind of an eyewash lawsuit that has been brought against about 25 members of the so-called terrorist movement. But those charges are very surface level,” said Fr. Perera, adding that law experts believe that a case consisting of 23,000 charges can never be credibly brought to trial.

“How can you bring 23,000 charges into question and cross-examine so many hundreds of people?” he wondered. “So, you can see that there is a very clear cover up in the first place.”

However, noted Fr. Perera, some progress was made in mid-January this year when Sri Lanka’s Supreme Court issued a civil conviction of negligence against former president Maithripala Sirisena and four top security officials for failing to act on intelligence pointing to a possible terrorist attack in the run-up to the Easter Sunday bombings. They were also forced to pay 100 million rupees (273,000 USD) in compensation to the families of the victims.

The Supreme Court’s conviction opens up further civil litigation in courts in other countries, since there were 45 foreign nationals who were killed in the attacks. Fr. Perera said the families of these victims can sue Sri Lankan officials for compensation in their home countries on the basis of this conviction.

UN-led investigation

The Church is also pursuing the additional legal option of requesting a UN-backed international investigation.

Fr. Perera recently presented the Sri Lankan Church’s case at the 52nd United Nations Human Rights Council, which was held in Geneva from 27 February to 4 April.

Speaking as a representative of Franciscan International, an NGO with general Consultative Status at the UN, Fr. Perera said Sri Lankan courts have delivered no criminal convictions for the masterminds of the attacks, and he called on the UN to invoke universal jurisdiction in the case to investigate the bombings.

In the interview, he admitted the difficulty of gathering evidence and contacting witnesses.

“Winning a case is a job and a half,” said Fr. Perera. “Then again, at international level it will be even more difficult. But I think this is our Christian calling. And in our prophetic role, I believe that we have to do it.”

Church pursuing justice

The Catholic Church, added Fr. Perera, is one of the few institutions that has “the wherewithal” to take on the power of the Sri Lankan government in pursuit of justice.

“We will willingly take this chance, because who else will do this kind of thing at the international level, if not for us?” he said.

Fr. Perera noted that violence frequently precedes elections in Sri Lanka, alleging that politicians take advantage of killings to fire up their base.

“In Sri Lanka this kind of thing—murders, people being killed—has happened all these years and they have been swept under the carpet,” he said. “Whenever there is an election, this kind of thing is part and parcel of the political campaigning.”

Forgiving real culprits

Fr. Perera pointed out that the Church is seeking justice not only for Catholics, but also for “the entire population of Sri Lankans, because unless and until we prove the real culprits, we will never be able to be a free country.”

Christians must forgive, and Sri Lankan Catholics want to forgive those who attacked them on Easter Sunday in 2019, affirmed the Sri Lankan priest.

“We are forgiving,” said Fr. Perera. “We want to forgive, but we should know whom to forgive… And by God's grace, we have made a lot of progress, and we will continue to box on.”
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

It is pretty clear that the bunch of suicide bombers were trained to attack India before the 2019 elections after being smuggled into TN. But post Balakote the handlers developed cold feet. But the suicide bombers had been prepped and thier suicide vests handed over to them, so they could not be just return to normal life.

In SL and South India, Churches have aligned themselves with Islamists to certain reasons, it was deceided this was safest thing to do without any backlash on the local Muslim community honchos.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx8gwNbCPVo

Unscrambling diabolical conspiracy, deceit & brutality behind Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination 30 years on

coupta has wilfully and completely left out the duplicitous part played (money, weapons, and international media cover fire) by the BIF in the background and in the foreground by the utterly evil norwegians who, BTW, also desperately tried their very best to interfere in the Indian NE by insisting on "offering" their services as "peace facilitators"

Thankfully, these buggers were rebuffed b the GoI who were fully aware of their shady activities

May 21, 2021 #CutTheClutter #RajivGandhi

On the 30th death anniversary of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, Shekhar Gupta talks about the web of subterfuge and the LTTE's ideological violence behind the assassination, the role of Sri Lanka's prominent political leaders, and the accuracy of Shoojit Sircar's film 'Madras Cafe', in episode 752
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »