2019 General Elections : Results Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Re: 2019 General Elections : Results Discussion

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^ I would say that there is no "Hindu-Muslim" in the matters of economy, defense, education, running the city services, etc., etc.; so

a. Constitutional provisions that afford Hindus less autonomy than minorities should be removed.
b. With religion out of the way, politics should largely become about how to build and sustain better lives for the people.
c. Muslim ethos should be encouraged to change from the 19th century/Jinnah mindset to that they too can compete for all people's votes and all the opportunities based on (b.)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

abhijitm wrote:Modi has declared a target to provide piped water to each home by 2024. This is massive, social impact of it is unmeasurable, beyond comparison. Even if modi achieves partial success he will come back with even bigger mandate in 2024.
To restate what I described previously, in 2014 Modi targeted a dramatic improvement in coverage of a collection of basic public goods and services. This post covers the topic. Essentially, for sanitation, rural roads, rural electricity, cooking gas and banking, improvements that would have yielded >95% coverage by the mid 2030s, he got done within 5 years.

All of these however constitute low hanging fruit, in the sense that getting them right is a matter of administrative implementation, but precision is something not at a premium, i.e. a pothole in a road or a power cut here and there won't lose votes. Water on the other hand is the one public utility item that is consumed, and getting it right, would therefore be an incredible achievement.

India has for long lagged behind China because we were years, if not decades, behind them in ensuring that the public at large (urban and rural) had access to clean water, sanitation, electricity etc. What Modi is doing is not big bang reforms as much as ensuring that the wide swath of population has a much higher lowest common denominator.

Before these elections, I had asked if people would recognize this effort, since it is very different from how other governments looks at things from a trickle down theory perspective. Modi clearly is not a believer in trickle down theory - he explicitly targeted the bottom of the pyramid, even if those at the top - the elite , the phoren investors and even middle class, didn't see as many benefits as the really poor did. It has paid off politically in a spectacular manner - he has won the greatest mandate ever earned in a competitive election in India (Nehru and Rajiv had no competition as such).
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

A_Gupta wrote:^^^ I would say that there is no "Hindu-Muslim" in the matters of economy, defense, education, running the city services, etc., etc.; so

a. Constitutional provisions that afford Hindus less autonomy than minorities should be removed.
b. With religion out of the way, politics should largely become about how to build and sustain better lives for the people.
c. Muslim ethos should be encouraged to change from the 19th century/Jinnah mindset to that they too can compete for all people's votes and all the opportunities based on (b.)

Any ideas how that can be accomplished ?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

schinnas wrote:Gadkari has been stripped of his favorite portfolio - Ports,Shipping and Inland waterways. He made several proud statements about cleaning Ganga, starting river transport in Ganga, Sagar mala, etc.

Instead he has been given heavy industries. It would have been best to keep all transportation (road, water and air) together and give heavy industries to someone else.

It seems slight clipping of wings for Gadkari without having him lose face. Hope whoever got Shipping can fill Gadkari's shoes.
I don't think this is the right interpretation. While inland waterways may be close to Gadkari's heart as a lifelong RSS man, there's not as much to do there as compared to roads and heavy industry. Waterways are also a bigger quagmire of legal and environmental hurdles to overcome. Road and industry (Make In India initiative in particular) have fewer hurdles to immediately getting a lot done.

Just because he likes a portfolio doesn't mean his skills are best suited to it at the moment. It also doesn't mean that once the scope of a portfolio is ripe for someone who's a master implementor, it won't be handed to him. Gadkari is a put-his-head-down-and-build-build-build guy we need . The government is targeting approximately $1.5 trillion in new fixed asset investment in the next 5 years, and we need folks like him running this baton leg.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:
chetak wrote: and for your kind information, in their heart of hearts, this is exactly what 100% of the stay behind Indian "muslims" want even today
Not sure what you thought I was saying. And before I continue, I request you to please dispense with the patronizing tone. I was referring to an earlier comment about PAk and Bangla. Any thoughts/plans for those landmasses will have to include people in the calculation. I was not suggesting any course of action, and I hope this is clear from the one single line I wrote in the post. I am pretty familiar with the entitlement and expectation that the elites and masses of Pakistan have of whoever they think 'owe' them something. Other than rent collection or grabbing other's resources via the kabila model, they have nothing. Pakistan has shown what a nation driven by 'Islamic ideals' (but no significant resources) ends up with.

no one is patronizing. Even today, one gets to hear of muslim politicos and mullahs making fiery speeches, mostly in the north and sometimes also in TN about "our share" and "we should be ruling" and "allah's will" kind of speeches. This is not coincidental or even mere rhetoric, it is what these guys think that their unwashed beardo audiences want to hear.

draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezeM4So1fyA

ब्रिटिश और JINNAH ने साजिश करके पाकिस्तान बनाया, भारत से अलग होना हमारी गलती थी:

Last edited by chetak on 01 Jun 2019 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

In any successful organization, the heavy hitters who can deliver across different domains and are also willing to do the heavy lifting, are not allowed to sit pretty in one business unit. They are rotated across where they are needed most. They may sometimes crib, but that's what the management does, because they recognize whom they can rely upon to get things done. Right now, the economy side of things really needs a lot of work - no money, no (welfare) honey. I am sure there are so many loopholes to be fixed, red-tape to be taken off the table, booster doses to be given, funding etc. Modi knows this. He would have received 10,000 presentations on the topic from industry groups etc. So he has put his 2 trouble shooters where it matters. One of them is fairly senior, and the other Goyel, has the PM/PMO's ear clearly after his work so far. So both have political support as well.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

There have been several first time MPs in BJP. A lot of the previous winners have been replaced. I am assuming those who remained are efficient or at least keep in touch with their voters and they will be retained in the next election too. If replacing inefficient parliamentarians from BJP continues for the next 2 or 3 election cycles, with a need to replace fewer and fewer sitting MPs each time, I am wondering if we will reach a stage where almost all of the BJP MPs are honest, highly efficient and can win elections on their own as long as the economy is doing reasonably well and there is no large scale distress.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Suraj wrote:
abhijitm wrote:Modi has declared a target to provide piped water to each home by 2024. This is massive, social impact of it is unmeasurable, beyond comparison. Even if modi achieves partial success he will come back with even bigger mandate in 2024.
Before these elections, I had asked if people would recognize this effort, since it is very different from how other governments looks at things from a trickle down theory perspective. Modi clearly is not a believer in trickle down theory - he explicitly targeted the bottom of the pyramid, even if those at the top - the elite , the phoren investors and even middle class, didn't see as many benefits as the really poor did. It has paid off politically in a spectacular manner - he has won the greatest mandate ever earned in a competitive election in India (Nehru and Rajiv had no competition as such).
Greatest Mandate for sure, but Balakot played a big role in this. I would say topping up BJP / NDA tally by 50 seats.

Electricity, Gas, Bank Accounts etc. have been delivered for the poorest of the poor but puncturing of economic engine, largely due to incoherence between finance ministry and RBI (read as Urjit Patel raising interest rates when growth was not above 10% and inflation was still around 4%) has had sobering affect on populace across the nation . Last few months' inflation (around 2%) and growth numbers (now down to 5.8%) bear witness to that.

Also issues of Middle Class especially housing with millions of houses not delivered, small scale manufacturing not able to pick up because of rampant Chinese imports, lack of emergence of any non IT sector as large employer ... etc. .. has really dimmed the prospects of middle class, and a middle class that is only growing by the day. A middle class that has stood by BJP over last three decades.

Eventually - it does come down to Roti, Kapda, Makaan.. The next year or two are extremely critical.
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

Karthik S wrote:
Peregrine wrote:Kartik S Ji :

You will be adding over 500 Million Muslims to the Indian Muslim Population of OVER 200 MILLION. This addition will within a Generation will create a Muslim Population of say 700 to 800 Million Muslims in the "New Nation". I assure you with the INCREDIBLY HIGH MUSLIM RATE OF PROCREATION YOU MIGHT SOON HAVE A MUSLIM MAJORITY. Then, this will lead to INDIA BECOMING AN ISLAMIC MAJORITY NATION!

Is that what you want? :( :((

Cheers Image
I meant whole of India, just the landmass, would include all that. Was talking about the landmass, what we lost, it includes some of our 'holy lands' as well.
There’s no option but to reclaim because otherwise there is always potential for them to be subverted. India can not be a shrinking lily.

in Victorian London people threw trash out their window and ignored it. But at some point it catches up

But first own has to be in order.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Karthik S wrote:
A_Gupta wrote:^^^ I would say that there is no "Hindu-Muslim" in the matters of economy, defense, education, running the city services, etc., etc.; so

Any ideas how that can be accomplished ?
The only way I see right now is beyond constitutional amendments that are necessary, is:
- make high quality education available that leads to employment (opportunity for a good life is available)
- start erasing the narrative of "Hindu degeneration due to polytheism, idolatry, caste system" (erase the stigma of associating with Hindus)
- promote a meritocracy (erase fear of discrimination)
- promote rule of law (erase fear of violence)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Rishi_Tri wrote:Greatest Mandate for sure, but Balakot played a big role in this. I would say topping up BJP / NDA tally by 50 seats.

Electricity, Gas, Bank Accounts etc. have been delivered for the poorest of the poor but puncturing of economic engine, largely due to incoherence between finance ministry and RBI (read as Urjit Patel raising interest rates when growth was not above 10% and inflation was still around 4%) has had sobering affect on populace across the nation . Last few months' inflation (around 2%) and growth numbers (now down to 5.8%) bear witness to that.

Also issues of Middle Class especially housing with millions of houses not delivered, small scale manufacturing not able to pick up because of rampant Chinese imports, lack of emergence of any non IT sector as large employer ... etc. .. has really dimmed the prospects of middle class, and a middle class that is only growing by the day. A middle class that has stood by BJP over last three decades.

Eventually - it does come down to Roti, Kapda, Makaan.. The next year or two are extremely critical.
I do not agree that growth momentum has stalled . Far too little time to make such claims. Q4 data is also affected by close to 8% growth in Q4 of the prior fiscal, in addition to pre-election wait and watch behavior .

While I agree that Balakot provided a boost, the voteshare gains are far too high and far too broad based to be due to just one emotional reason. BJP alone has close to 2x it’s long term voteshare (20%) . NDA has a higher voteshare than any elected entity except Rajiv in 1984 (2 months after IGs killing) and Nehru in 1957 amidst no challengers.

I would completely disagree with anyone claiming the mandate is because of 1-2 short term impact actions - every govt rolls out pre poll sops and yet nothing like the present happened . ABV went into 1999 on the back of Kargil and won a spectacular (not) 182 seats .

The bottom line is that too many people have benefited in their daily lives that BJP is the default national vote of governance , what INC used to be . Just winning a war or some cool sop only gets you at best SLP .

To get 2x historical long term vote share and the first ever party to return to power with an absolute mandate with an even larger seatshare and absurdly high voteshare despite historically high turnout (Yogendra Yadavs presentation shows this abnormality - historically a higher turnout is anti and not pro incumbent) means a lot more people benefited in more profound ways than just reading news about GDP or IAF missions .

If Modi fixes the universal access to water and food security by 2024, BJP will win 330-360 seats then. There’s a very good recent article on Swarajyamag describing the vote as a case of ‘we like what you did with 280 seats . Here’s some more - show us what you can do with it’. Arguably no government in Indian political history has ever gotten such vote before , or at least not in 2+ generations.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I submit we owe our modern nation state to Shivaji, who conceptualized Haindava Swaraj unconnected from Westphalia around same time. The idea is in the Islamic sea Hindus should have a nation state. This led to the Maratha Empire and with fits and starts to the modern India that is Bharat. Elections in 2014 were about making Bharat that was India. In other words Haindava Swaraj.

Jai Shivaji Maharaj!!!
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Suraj wrote:
Rishi_Tri wrote:Greatest Mandate for sure, but Balakot played a big role in this. I would say topping up BJP / NDA tally by 50 seats.

I do not agree that growth momentum has stalled . Far too little time to make such claims. Q4 data is also affected by close to 8% growth in Q4 of the prior fiscal, in addition to pre-election wait and watch behavior .

While I agree that Balakot provided a boost, the voteshare gains are far too high and far too broad based to be due to just one emotional reason. BJP alone has close to 2x it’s long term voteshare (20%) . NDA has a higher voteshare than any elected entity except Rajiv in 1984 (2 months after IGs killing) and Nehru in 1957 amidst no challengers.

I would completely disagree with anyone claiming the mandate is because of 1-2 short term impact actions - every govt rolls out pre poll sops and yet nothing like the present happened . ABV went into 1999 on the back of Kargil and won a spectacular (not) 182 seats .

The bottom line is that too many people have benefited in their daily lives that BJP is the default national vote of governance , what INC used to be . Just winning a war or some cool sop only gets you at best SLP .

To get 2x historical long term vote share and the first ever party to return to power with an absolute mandate with an even larger seatshare and absurdly high voteshare despite historically high turnout (Yogendra Yadavs presentation shows this abnormality - historically a higher turnout is anti and not pro incumbent) means a lot more people benefited in more profound ways than just reading news about GDP or IAF missions .

If Modi fixes the universal access to water and food security by 2024, BJP will win 330-360 seats then.
Suraj San, kudos to you for analyzing this delivery of services before the election.

sorry to post a video of Coupta. after some self flagelation he speaks of the services delivered by Modi 1.0 @ 10:00 mins. he also does a mea culpa that jurnos deliberately chose to not report it or under reported it with qualifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwnnn1M-T5U
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Yes I saw that talk , and YoYa shows some fancy PPT slides before Coupta basically incredulous at the raw data . The turnout gain heat map slides were pretty interesting - he came to the directly opposite conclusion ie that increase means anti-incumbency, while I argued that the increase is a result of broad based gain in basic quality of life .
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yes this was a pro-incumbency turnout from satisfied voters in North India.

Anti-incumbency in other areas.

Rishi-Tri is also right.

Many of the CRPF personnel killed came from small towns in Rajasthan, Harayana, and UP.
When Balakot strike, at the real perpetrators, occured the people were very assured there is a leader who feels their pain and assuaged it.

Also had quiet resonance in Telangana and Bengluru.

In Bengluru the business community, not the NIFTY types, raised money to help the families of those killed in Pulwama. Quite a substantial amount. And without any encouragement from govt or political parties. In fact when opposition derided the strikes the support solidified.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Correction. Pro-incumbency everywhere except deep south and PJ. Even Jagan vote is partly to teach CBN for going against the mandate.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

There's no data I've seen that proves that the middle class voted against Modi. Even SoBo and Khan Market's constituencies voted overwhelmingly for Bee Jay Pee.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Pratik, Would help if we know context to your post!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

The ground impact of welfare scheme has been reported by many ..

https://twitter.com/kunalpurohit/status ... 8983142406
Kunal Purohit Verified account @kunalpurohit

Unpopular opinion on Twitter, but here's what I found in my travel across Jharkhand and UP. People are always not voting for Modi because they are rabid right-wingers, fans of nationalism etc. Many are voting simply because their lives are better off now. (Thread)
This is also a message of all the Social media warriors that Modi understand the real world much better than all of them.

Today too some Yindu-pasand twitter warrior was calling Modi "duratma" and was equating with the other famous duratma and was predicting that Modi will similarly *con* the Yindus. Folks just do not understand the ground realities. People who claim to be inheritors of a 5,000+ year civilization don't even have a patience of 5-10 years.

To build a lasting edifice you FIRST have to build a good foundation else everything will collapse at the slightest tremor. As I have stated before on this very thread, first-term was to expand the based of party amongst the largest, the most loyal and the easiest to please votes who also happen to be the bottom 50%! (70% - 20% minority).

Amongst the very first acts of THIS new government was to expand the program for this segment. The reason is obvious for anyone who cared to think.
Last edited by pankajs on 02 Jun 2019 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Yes it was reported by many on SM . It was what led me to look up data on coverage of sanitation, roads, electricity, cooking fuel and banking .

The data I found astonished me, and I posted about it . I stated that 2004 was not unexpected because growth by NDA-1 was very top down, and 85% of rural Indians had no access to any of this set of basic public goods or services . How does ‘India Shining’ resonate when 85% of rural India have not seen it ?

As late as 2014, the figure had risen to 45% percent . While that is a measure of progress, it was simply too slow - it would have taken until 2034 to reach >95% . What Modi did was to accomplish it by 2019 . He didn’t need a catchy ad campaign - rural toilet coverage was 38% in 2014, 84% in 2018, over 90% in 2019. His audience will have remembered where they went to pakistan that morning vs 5 years ago . Coverage gains are similar for roads , electricity, gas, banking and to a lesser extent universal housing .

Development therefore rose from reaching 4/10 of rural India to 9/10, across a broad matrix of basic goods and services. In just 5 years. A net gain of about 400 million people impacted.

Therefore I stated 3 weeks ago that if the population truly saw real gains in standard of living at the bottom of pyramid, it would be a heavy pro incumbency vote . The data was clearly there - the question was how well it would translate to votes .

And the result ? Of course it turned out to be so . Modi won a bigger mandate in the heartland than even IG or JLN, who both earned a lot from the south . Modi got 50-70% voteshare across all of north and central India (the ex Maratha Empire) - simply an absurd number since 50% plus one vote guarantees you a win . BJP alone won 80 million more votes than then did in 2014.

The goal is to ensure universal housing and piped water by 2024 . If they accomplish that, they’ll get north of 350 seats in the next GE.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

I had written this a few pages back ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7719&start=2520#p2358493
pankajs wrote:First priority is to ensure the survival of the BJP beyond a term, preferably make them the default/primary axis. This means expanding the BJP tent to the maximum possible even at the cost of delay on the core issues. This is exactly what Modi/Shah duo are doing with single minded focus.

The 2nd priority is ensure the primacy of the "Hindu" voters so that they can no more be ignored. The impact of Modi 1.0 is for everyone to see! From pappu''s temple run to the EJ Jagan's extensive use of Vedic rituals just before his swearing in! I caught a few minutes in the TV and I was astonished. This guy even beats Modi and that is saying something going by the previous *sickular* Indian standard of governance.

The 3rd priority is to make the Hindu feel the power of their vote. The results in UP assembly, the recent Bengal results and the near wipe-out of the Communist in Kerala are that show of force. Astonishingly, Many Hindus have still not realized what has just happened in front of their very own eyes!

Once the Hindus get "fully" conscious of last 2, the "core" issues are just a step away. They will demand and the politicos of EVERY hue will be forced to deliver or perish. This is one reason the Hindu's where sought to be kept divided in the first place.
The same idea stated more elegantly ... I am not a wordsmith.
https://twitter.com/KS1729/status/1130625729585197056
Keerthik Sasidharan Verified account @KS1729
Replying to @_YogendraYadav @sardesairajdeep

idea of India (ioi) is a rhetorical move by Indians w/ running water, electricity, & sanitation to tell Indians w/o it that their time will come, if they believe in this 'idea'. Modi's gamble inverted this logic: delivers on basics & then he earns the street creds to redefine ioi
This guy is associated with "The Hindu".

Once Modi has the trust of the majority he will have the license to define/redefine "Idea of India", Nationalism, Patriotism, Citizenship, etc, etc.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Rishi_Tri wrote:
Suraj wrote:
Greatest Mandate for sure, but Balakot played a big role in this. I would say topping up BJP / NDA tally by 50 seats.
I was expecting this to be one common response but even the hardcore Modi opponents are not using it post the results. Because of sheer diversity in the win. The voting percentage shift didnt came because of Balakot. People who voted for Modi would have done it despite Balakot. I havent met a single BJP opponent who switched because of Balakot. I am sure you will agree with this.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

chetak wrote:
KL Dubey wrote:I am (pleasantly) surprised to see Amit get HM. I agree this is exciting on multiple fronts - perhaps a "masterstroke" and surely a frightening development for BIF ecosystem. I think NS and RS are perfectly interchangeable in DM and FM. I had not expected that either. I think Jaishankar is a key appointment in EAM...this will have benefits for both defense and finance. Gadkari and Goyal will continue their important infrastructure work very effectively. I believe Gad was fully expecting to continue in the same role and excited about it.
then why does he go around looking like an unmarried girl who has suddenly discovered that she's pregnant.

something's off.

I don't see Gad looking upset.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/all-hig ... ri-2046490
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

schinnas wrote:Gadkari has been stripped of his favorite portfolio - Ports,Shipping and Inland waterways. He made several proud statements about cleaning Ganga, starting river transport in Ganga, Sagar mala, etc.

Instead he has been given heavy industries. It would have been best to keep all transportation (road, water and air) together and give heavy industries to someone else.

It seems slight clipping of wings for Gadkari without having him lose face. Hope whoever got Shipping can fill Gadkari's shoes.
Not really. River cleaning and inland waterways seem to be shifted into the new Water (Jal Shakti) ministry. I think the Ganga has been mostly cleaned up, now the action has to shift to other rivers and small tributaries. It is too much for Gad to coordinate part-time.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Peregrine wrote:
Picklu wrote:Integrating "all parts of India" to a whole.
Karthik S wrote: That should be entire pak and bangladesh.
Kartik S Ji :

You will be adding over 500 Million Muslims to the Indian Muslim Population of OVER 200 MILLION. This addition will within a Generation will create a Muslim Population of say 700 to 800 Million Muslims in the "New Nation". I assure you with the INCREDIBLY HIGH MUSLIM RATE OF PROCREATION YOU MIGHT SOON HAVE A MUSLIM MAJORITY. Then, this will lead to INDIA BECOMING AN ISLAMIC MAJORITY NATION!

Is that what you want? :( :((

Cheers Image
I am always amazed when people talk about Akhanda Bharat and taking over Pak and BD. Sure, if we could get the land it would be great. But the land comes with some 400M viruses. We don't want to infect the current India with that virus unless we can find a way to dump it all into the Arabian Sea. We don't want these people to realize that they have numbers now and begin to influence Congress like it did with 15% pop. Just imagine if they are 40%, all parties, maybe even BJP could turn sekoolar.
Last edited by KJo on 02 Jun 2019 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter

" Ha bhai kisko chahiye thi azaadi "

Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

How was the role of Black money this election?

All the presstitutes including in that CPR video & places like Wire are whining that BJP had "money power" (is it a coded word for "they didnt allow our stashes from our sins past to be used in election") ?

Is it because the IT & ED are after their behinds having mined the big data from DeMo and having identified the broad networks & players(hawala operators etc) in the BM circulation ?

That Kamal Nath getting caught red handed by ED on tape doing Hawala transaction direct from CM's office is going to resonate through many elections to come.

Leaving aside places like Andhra & TN i didnt hear too much about money being distributed by parties to voters in 2019 as compared to say in 2014 when our economy was a trillion USD smaller .
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

watch the video

Here is the video. @PiyushGoyal telling me in Nov 18 at the ET Awards that the BJP will be between 297-303 in the 2019 elections! As far as predictions go, this was bang on! @EconomicTimes

https://twitter.com/sriram_ET/status/11 ... 5396516865

That’s when neither Pulwama nor Balakot had happened. To guesstimate then that the BJP ll cross 300 means the BJP was confident it’s work on the ground was finding takers at least among rural voters with middle class and urban voters already strongly behind BJP.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

future growth

this guy will win in most places in the country.

sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

KJo wrote: I am always amazed when people talk about Akhanda Bharat and taking over Pak and BD. Sure, if we could get the land it would be great. But the land comes with some 400M viruses. We don't want to infect the current India with that virus unless we can find a way to dump it all into the Arabian Sea. We don't want these people to realize that they have numbers now and begin to influence Congress like it did with 15% pop. Just imagine if they are 40%, all parties, maybe even BJP could turn sekoolar.
I for one believe that it is possible to nibble away at their periphery and either:

a) slowly push the population further and further inwards

or

b) incrementally ghar wapsi the periphery, change the demographics, the way the EJs are attempting to do in India

I am firmly convinced that even b) is very much possible (based on my own anecdotal data). It has been achieved by violence in some parts of the world. India can be a pioneer in finding a non-violent way of doing the same.

Some combination of a) and b) is workable for sure. Not in a year, or even twenty years, but over a long term, like a 100 to 200 years. But the work has to begin now.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

There was a time when I thought that when Modiji retired, the next BJP PM candidate would be Yogi Adityanath. Now I think that we have the "next gen" PM already in place - Amit Shah. He is a pan-India figure, fabulous organizational capabilities, very Hindutva, worked in close proximity to Modi for decades, knows what it takes to win and is now in getting trained at the highest level of power in India under the master.

And he is all of 54 years old. We have a winner, folks. Bharat Mata is safe for a long time to come. Pappu will retire in the meantime (in Hotel Tihar?)
Last edited by KJo on 02 Jun 2019 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

You need a Dilbu "AS won't be PM onlee" anti-jinx chorus.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Hindi heartland has already their heart set on Yogi. No way Amit Shah will become next PM.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Suraj wrote:There's no data I've seen that proves that the middle class voted against Modi. Even SoBo and Khan Market's constituencies voted overwhelmingly for Bee Jay Pee.
Respectfully sir, my point was that Middle Class is weary because of long pending issues but agree they still voted for BJP. Hopefully middle class issues get resolved over next year or two and that shall also mean economy also going back to 8-9% growth rates.
EswarPrakash
BRFite

Post by EswarPrakash »

If there is one mistake that everyone made in this election, that is looking at groups of people as monoliths: Muslims, caste groups, class groups and gender groups. Every single party, except maybe AS and BJP did that mistake. I see that we in BRF are making the same mistake post elections
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

CalvinH wrote:
Rishi_Tri wrote:
I was expecting this to be one common response but even the hardcore Modi opponents are not using it post the results. Because of sheer diversity in the win. The voting percentage shift didnt came because of Balakot. People who voted for Modi would have done it despite Balakot. I havent met a single BJP opponent who switched because of Balakot. I am sure you will agree with this.
Yes sir, I do. Even I don't know of people who switched because of Balakot, but there were many who said they were voting because Modi was keeping the nation secure. Videos available on SM.

Now, eagerly looking forward to the budget.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Balakot was a net neutral or at best a small +ve for Modi/BJP. If he hadn't done it it would have been a negative but doing it only gave a temporary bump that mostly dissipated by the time of elections. This was alluded to even by top presstitutes like coupta.

The election was won by the relentless slog of the last years that changed the ground reality for the common Indian.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Why I am apprehensive, sad and upset with formation of the new government
by Humra Quraishi
:(( :(( :((
As an Indian Muslim, I have never ever felt so suffocated and threatened, as I have been since 2014, when Modi govt came to power. I am scared and worried wondering what’s in store for the country now. the news of lynching or hounding Muslims kept the society and Muslims in particular shocked and sacred. Never before in the history of India, the Muslim population has been so very blatantly bypassed and discriminated against.
Last edited by KJo on 02 Jun 2019 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

KJo wrote:Why I am apprehensive, sad and upset with formation of the new government
by Humra Quraishi
As an Indian Muslim, I have never ever felt so suffocated and threatened, as I have been since 2014, when Modi govt came to power. I am scared and worried wondering what’s in store for the country now
took the click bait but left a few comments
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blo ... isleading/
BJP’s rural votes show talk of farm crisis misleading [MS Swaminathan - The writer chaired the National Commission on Farmers]
Annual GDP growth fell from 6.9% in 2017-18 to 6.8% in 2018-19. Worse, GDP in the latest January-March 2019 quarter slowed to just 5.8%. Yet Narendra Modi swept the general election. The BJP’s national vote share rose from 31.3% to 37.5%. In the seats it contested, its vote share rose to 46%. Contradicting conventional wisdom on agrarian distress, the BJP actually boosted its vote share in rural areas to roughly 46%, double the Congress’ 23%.

This suggests that talk of agrarian distress is much exaggerated. The latest data shows that agricultural growth in 2018-19 was 2.9%. Growth fell quarter after quarter — 5.1%, 4.9%, 2.8% and -0.1%. Clearly, a good rabi and summer crop in 2018 was followed by serious slowing because of drought.

But the annual average of 2.9% is the highest ever in a drought year. This heart-warming achievement reflects increasing irrigation plus diversification into animal husbandry, fisheries and tree crops that are less monsoon-dependent. Indeed, traditional crops now account for barely half the agricultural output. Maharashtra was the worst-hit drought state in India, yet the NDA won 41 of the 48 seats there, and the Congress only one.

Congress apologists argue that Modi diverted voter attention from agrarian distress to the Balakot bombing, highlighting the need for a strongman to enhance national security. But the very fact that economic issues could so easily be overwhelmed by security issues proves that the economy is not in such bad shape. Yes, there is a slowdown. That always causes some pain. But it does not amount to a crisis. That word is seriously overused.