2019 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: 2019 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

Post by chetak »

pankajs wrote:https://twitter.com/kdrajagopal/status/ ... 1540180993
Krishnadas Rajagopal @kdrajagopal

Kapil Sibal and his team present before CJI-led Constitution Bench at 4 pm when the Ayodhya Bench was rising for the day, expected CJI to enquire why they were there before leaving the court room. But the CJI left without a word at them @the_hindu

@abaruah64
Read the tweet carefully ... As Khujaliwal is phamous for saying "Saab mila hua hain ji"
somehow, everyone has become very careful and circumspect whilst dealing with Modi-2 govt, primarily because the gloves are off.

poople who were arrogant enough to misread the Modi-1 govt are the biggest losers now.

otherwise, mundane matters like bail for some old lootyens reprobates would have been routinely sorted out over a casual telephone call.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

disha wrote:I am surprised that economics is discussed in strategic/political thread. Should it not be in economics thread?
Economic strength *is* one of the key factors for any Govt to succeed/fall on. The price of onions can topple a Govt far more than a cultural issue given our current social strata (very few have the leeway to weather economic shocks, even so called middle class).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M wrote:VSunder - yes that's the video I saw. I was (pleasantly) surprised. SD was a big critic of the GOI (p-sec behavior too) so it has extra credibility, given her ideological tendency to bat against current GOI.

The corporate India mess part is so true. I trust you have been tracking the IL&FS type stuff? Another problem, for all of us invested in the Indian economy. GOI has finally woken up though and is imposing some order via SEBI etc but a massive clean up and more rigor at the rating issues is long overdue. More can be expected (though I hope not) because with tight liquidity, more such issues will emerge.

Qn is how can the clean up proceed without causing a full blown slowdown.
vsunder wrote:^^^^ Karan M and Suraj, here is a round up and analysis of recent decisions of Modi 2.0 related to the economic front by Sucheta Dalal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKT_JrBfio

These things have been so pervasive that the system will need quite some time to be cleaned up. Corporate India is a mess and the stories they are planting contribute to the negative optics. The days of crony capitalism hopefully are over.
Karan ji,

she is very critical of modi when she writes in the foreign media but not so much at home.

a majority of her clients are bania modi bhakts who are not the hardcore internet variety so she manages to get away with it.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Karan M wrote:I am actually concerned about one. What's actually being done, the media bias is so obvious to us on BR. I scanned the eco thread but lot of, but not much on what's actually needed vs what's being done. Perhaps you can lead the discussion on what needs to be done. That would be helpful.
I'll try to give a take on it from a political economy perspective, since it is suitable for this thread (but not in the economics thread - which WILL get derailed):

Five years of this administration have shown a few dominant socio-economic tendencies:
* An unprecendented focus on fixing the socio-economic circumstances of the bottom of the economic pyramid. Now well documented here, and essentially IMHO the main factor that drove the GE 2019 landslide win. India has never seen such a dramatic improvement in the lifestyle of the poor and almost poor. Many of the pithy attacks against India that were once deserved. e.g. "why don't you build toilets for your poor ?" no longer make much sense - sanitation coverage is now around 90-95%. It used to be 1% back in 1981. No, that is not a typo. Literally ONE percent. Decades of Banditji and his beti saw infinite improvement on this front, from 0% to 1%...
* A focus on efficiency of delivery of goods and services. No grand new plans, just fix or appropriate existing capabilities to work properly. Aadhar, instead of being junked due to political baggage, was instead made central to the JAM yojana. The government is generally ideologically neutral and pragmatic when it comes to keeping what could work, and just fixing what could be fixed instead of throwing it away because of its genesis. This is markedly different from the previous UPA administrations, which were far more ideological in this regard.
* Repeated efforts to formalize economic activity and apply rule of law, as opposed to generations informal business-making driven by patronage and influence. This system works up to a point, but cannot scale to $5-10 trillion. While every country establishes some level of formal/informal business culture, clear legal and statutory structures are necessary in order to scale up new business and deploy capital effectively. Both the Indian banking system (primary and secondary) as well as the business class have found anecdotally difficult to live with. Actions that directly relate to this thrust include demonetisation, the GST finally coming into force, the IBC act, the 2014-15 coal auction process, UDAY and more.

There's a case to be made that two successive RBI governors were policy hawks who did not work well with the Finance Ministry and were behind the curve when it came to lowering real interest rates enough, despite several years of benign inflation. The current RBI governor has done well so far, though there's an argument to be made that he was too conservative in his latest 35bps rate cut, and that he should have gone for 50bps and signaled more. But that is also a case getting an unexpectedly large bowl of ice cream and being upset the scoop wasn't even bigger.

GE 2019 was the first ever election where neither corruption nor price rise were viable political topics. These two issues have ALWAYS been standard opposition planks regardless of who was the opposition. This is a reflection of the change in how socio-economic policy is conducted by this administration, that the top two electoral issues for 6 decades of Indian political process became non-issues. The darling Dilliwala anti-corruption party founded during the go-go early 2010 days hasn't ever been able to take off since.

The resumption of growth is tied to how effectively GoI can ensure that business and financial interests are able to function effectively under its rule of law structure. Already it has shown urgency in finetuning the IBC Act with the 2019 amendments. It continues to try and fix the secondary banking system that's been in trouble since the IL&FS issues came to light.

However, the government has been proactive about trying to understand what the issues are and trying to fix them. It has the political capital right now to force these changes upon the business and financial world because it's good for them in the long run. What seems like doldrums now, if properly managed, are the seeds of a couple of decades of rapid growth. Like a single business, a large economy needs structure to grow. What worked as a small dukaan doesn't work as the business grows larger. Order and formalization is required, even though there will be enormous resistance to it.

An example is the Mallya episode. Here's a former lawmaker himself accusing the state of persecuting him. Leaving the handwaving aside, one issue that stands out is that he doesn't quite realize how the world has changed. He claims he made multiple undertakings to pay the banks back, 'but was rejected', thereby proving a witchhunt. However, that's not the case - his case is going through formal bankruptcy proceedings, and the IBC eliminates decades of debtor in possession in favor of creditor in control. Thus, Mallya the debtor has no standing to make offers - regardless of how honest he may be. Rule of law means that there's no longer any ad hoc offers or subjective questions of Mallya's venality. There is a process to be followed, and it's to be done by all.

There's also some disappointment that Modi isn't the free marketer he was expected to be. However, in my opinion, he is not and was never an unfettered free marketer. He's a social democrat, who will probably have a legacy like that of Tage Erlander, who led Sweden through the record years of rapid economic growth. Like Erlander, Modi focuses on the bottom of the pyramid, insurance, healthcare, infrastructure building and socio-economic enablement, which progressively drives rapid economic activity.
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

disha wrote:
dinesh_kimar wrote: It has only 1600 charging stations , and Tesla's total production after a decade of operations is only 150,000, media hype notwithstanding.
That is more than enough to go coast to coast and north to south very comfortably.

At 150k EV, it dents 75 million gallons of gas annually or $275 million. Even if that continues for say 10 years from now it will dent the gas industry by 2.75 Billion USD annually
Take a look at this webpage for a map of all EV charging stations in the US: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electrici ... ?fuel=ELEC

As you can see in the map, it is pretty much all over the nation.

A look at the Electrek.co website: https://electrek.co/2019/07/09/us-elect ... onnectors/ shows that US has well over 20k public charging stations with over 68,000 connectors. Contrast this number to the number of petrol gas stations in the US which is 168k (taken from this website: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/quizzes ... iz16.shtml). The graph in the link shows that the number of petrol gas stations is declining. Indeed, the winds of change are upon us.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

hgupta wrote:
disha wrote:
That is more than enough to go coast to coast and north to south very comfortably.

At 150k EV, it dents 75 million gallons of gas annually or $275 million. Even if that continues for say 10 years from now it will dent the gas industry by 2.75 Billion USD annually
Take a look at this webpage for a map of all EV charging stations in the US: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electrici ... ?fuel=ELEC

As you can see in the map, it is pretty much all over the nation.

A look at the Electrek.co website: https://electrek.co/2019/07/09/us-elect ... onnectors/ shows that US has well over 20k public charging stations with over 68,000 connectors. Contrast this number to the number of petrol gas stations in the US which is 168k (taken from this website: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/quizzes ... iz16.shtml). The graph in the link shows that the number of petrol gas stations is declining. Indeed, the winds of change are upon us.
I agree, there are several disruptive technologies at work. Tony Seba explains in this video from last year.

As a Tesla owner myself, I can tell you I am never going back, have had one for over 6 yrs now and I simply love it. I charge at home and rarely on the road when needed. However, in the future it is likely that we will be in auto-drive cars and that too in ride-share situations. Batteries are the way to go and not just for cars. Solar power is another big area that India could score well in.

Totally OT for this thread though, sorry.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

P. Chidambaram arrested in New Delhi form his home on 21 August 2019 on charges filed by CBI after anticipatory bail was denied.

The whole anti Corruption agitation that brought Kejriwal to power did nothing unlike the 303 MPs for NaMo 2.0.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

"Larger conspiracy" probe against CJI Ranjan Gogoi completed by Justice Patnaik, report likely in September - Opindia News
https://www.opindia.com/2019/08/larger- ... september/
Retired Supreme Court judge Justice AK Patnaik, appointed to probe the allegations of “larger conspiracy” to frame Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi, is likely to submit the report this September after completing the task.

Justice Patnaik was appointed as a one-man panel to inquire the allegations against the sitting CJI. Advocate Utsav Singh Bains was examined by Justice Patnaik from 11 am to 1 pm. His statement was also recorded, who had alleged that there was larger conspiracy in framing the CJI.

Bains had made various startling accusations including fixing of benches in the Supreme Court.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Primus wrote: Totally OT for this thread though, sorry.
Please post in this thread: Policy Changes in India: Electric Vehicles, Pollution Control, Energy Source Mix, Etc.

This is in the Technology and Economic forum.

Thanks.
chandrasekaran
BRFite

Post by chandrasekaran »

Vips wrote:Subramaniam Swamy has said in a news channel interview (an AV on Youtube) that Karthi Chidambaram had in addition to Money asked for two heroines to get the INX Media proposal at FIPB approved. :evil:
It wasn't Karti, I think he alluded to PC himself
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

disha wrote:I am surprised that economics is discussed in strategic/political thread. Should it not be in economics thread?

Also VSunder'ji, Sucheta Dalal is a tainted journo. She is SoBo elite and is in the same circles as the other eminent economist, historian and civil society leader Shobha De.

Just like the lutyens media never stepped out of KhanMarket for their political analysis and got surprised and more surprised, so does the SoBo does not step out of Dalal Street. And they misread the strength of the Indian economy. None of them step into hinterlands.
I agree. I was a paid subscriber to Moneylife circa 2013-15, but stopped when they started doing usual NGO activist stuff. Other than inviting SuSwamy once a year, I don't think they have shown any pro-Modi inclinations. Their shrill anti-Aadhaar was pretty jarring. And a couple of other things that they'd written too (I forget, but I voted with my money).
If SD is saying one thing, and Debasis Basu is saying completely opposite on the Govt (I can't find the article, but it was last week), you know you can't trust what they are saying.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Suraj, good stuff. What do you make of our financial "balance sheet" - can GOI afford to expand its debt, and increase spending? Do we have ample reserves despite the welfaronomics push to handle a 2008 type event?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Debt should not be problem as long as our business are honest and bribes are kept in check. As the debt will reflect the actual value of the assets being created. Which in turn should keep inflation in check.

But that's just my opinion.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Karan M wrote:Suraj, good stuff. What do you make of our financial "balance sheet" - can GOI afford to expand its debt, and increase spending? Do we have ample reserves despite the welfaronomics push to handle a 2008 type event?
That question has been discussed in the econ thread. Rahulsidhu has been in favour of it. GoI, it has been argued, has been too orthodox in following economic policy when more creative and aggressive efforts are worth the risk/reward potential.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chandrasekaran wrote:
Vips wrote:Subramaniam Swamy has said in a news channel interview (an AV on Youtube) that Karthi Chidambaram had in addition to Money asked for two heroines to get the INX Media proposal at FIPB approved. :evil:
It wasn't Karti, I think he alluded to PC himself
You are right.

there are rumours aplenty and both are equally "मशहूर
/mashahūr/", in madras as well as dilli circles for their preferences for sandwiches as well as callisthenics of a certain kind.

the apple does not fall far from the tree.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:P. Chidambaram arrested in New Delhi form his home on 21 August 2019 on charges filed by CBI after anticipatory bail was denied.

The whole anti Corruption agitation that brought Kejriwal to power did nothing unlike the 303 MPs for NaMo 2.0.
his options for going to the SC are now limited because he first has to file for bail in the same jurisdiction where he has been arrested.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/Swamy39/status/1164365742873042949
Subramanian Swamy @Swamy39

Why were TDK, Buddhu and Bottle uncharacteristically screeching away on Pucca Chor’s arrest? Fear of PC turning approver in coming foreign bank account cases of The Family.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The rumor mills are grinding yet again and it looks like the accomplished son karti may be next in line for some days stay in govt accommodations and enjoy sarkari मेहमान नवाजी/mehman nawazi

P Chidambaram's chickens have finally come home to roost, but why is Congress committing hara-kiri?

P Chidambaram's chickens have finally come home to roost, but why is Congress committing hara-kiri?

Sreemoy Talukdar Aug 22, 2019

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday took away the protective umbrella that had shielded Chidambaram for so long from coercive action.
If Chidambaram is innocent of the crimes for which he is being prosecuted, why is he evading the law?

Instead of appearing as a fugitive from justice — à la Vijay Mallya — the former Union home minister should have seized the opportunity to set an example.

The chickens have come home to roost for P Chidambaram. The CBI has now taken the former Union home and finance minister into custody for interrogation. It seems the Rajya Sabha MP — who had been enjoying perpetual ‘interim’ judicial protection from arrest by investigative agencies for his alleged role in two decade-old corruption cases since March last year — has finally run out of luck.

In two telling blows, the Delhi High Court on Tuesday took away the protective umbrella that had shielded Chidambaram for so long from coercive action by the probe agencies. Justice Sunil Gaur of the Delhi High Court, who is due to retire on Thursday, in his order turned down the former home minister’s plea for anticipatory bail and then ended the interim protection that Chidambaram had been enjoying.

These legal measures had prevented the CBI and ED from arresting him in cases of alleged corruption and money laundering in the Rs 350-crore INX media bribery scam and Rs 3,500-crore Aircel-Maxis deal. Both cases relate to FIPB clearance during the time when the senior Congress leader was the Union finance minister in the Manmohan Singh Cabinet.

According to a report in Live Law, there are “two FIRs registered against Chidambaram under the Prevention of Corruption Act and the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, which were investigated by the CBI and the ED, respectively. The CBI registered the FIR in 2017 and the ED did it in 2018.”

P Chidambarams chickens have finally come home to roost, but why is Congress committing hara-kiri?

The observations made by Justice Gaur while passing Tuesday’s order — that came as a major setback for Chidambaram — were telling. Dismissing the Rajya Sabha MP’s plea for anticipatory bail, Justice Gaur in a 24-page judgment observed that the evidence collected by the probe agencies prima facie reveals that the petitioner is the “king pin or the key conspirator” and that this was a “classic case of money laundering”.

The high court held that probe agencies are justified in their demand for Chidambaram’s custodial interrogation because the economic crimes of such “mammoth scale are craftily planned and executed”. The court further observed that “in this case, in view of the enormous material placed on record in respect of distinguished entities, various transactions etc, this court unhesitatingly opines that the bail plea is not acceptable.” According to the Delhi High Court, “simply because Chidambaram is a Member of Parliament would not justify grant of pre-arrest bail to him (sic)” and “granting bail in cases like the instant one will send a wrong message to society”.

The judgment also notes the “huge magnitude of conspiracy angle qua the petitioner” and observes that “it would be premature to jump to a conclusion that the provision of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) would not apply to the instant case, as it cannot be said that the amount involved is below Rs 30 lakh. Rather money laundering involved in this INX Media scam is Rs 305 crore and Aircel-Maxis scandal is Rs 3,500 crore.”

Chidambaram’s reaction has been interesting. The Rajya Sabha MP and former Union minister's whereabouts were earlier unknown to the agencies for over 24 hours. Meanwhile, his legal team led by senior Congress lawyers such as Kapil Sibal, Salman Khurshid and Abhishek Manu Singhvi has been frenetically moving the Supreme Court seeking its urgent intervention and interim protection.

There was a further setback waiting for the former Union home minister on Wednesday. On Wednesday morning, Justice NV Ramana, who, along with Justices M Shantanagoudar and Ajay Rastogi of the Supreme Court had heard the urgent listing of Chidambaram’s bail plea seeking protection from arrest, ordered the file to be placed before the Chief Justice of India for consideration. According to reports, Chidambaram’s counsel Sibal had requested the apex court bench to grant interim protection from arrest till the listing is done, but the request was not entertained.

The long and short of the furious legal wrangle still underway in the Supreme Court is that Chidambaram — who has now been arrested — had exhausted all his legal options to challenge the action against him. The Supreme Court provided Chidambaram with no interim relief.

Earlier, the CBI conducted two raids at Chidambaram’s residence to locate him, and after failing to find him there, pasted a notice outside his house ordering him to appear before the agency within “two hours”. The ED, meanwhile, issued a "lookout’ notice" against him.
Enforcement Directorate (ED) issues lookout notice against Congress leader and former Finance Minister #PChidambaram pic.twitter.com/h0dGdJWYSB

— ANI (@ANI) August 21, 2019
Amid these fast-paced developments, a few points emerge that need to be answered by Chidambaram himself.

If he is innocent of the crimes for which he is being prosecuted, why is he evading the law? The very fact that the agencies were unable to trace the Rajya Sabha MP after the Delhi High Court's order for over 24 hours suggests that he was uncomfortable and unwilling to be taken into ED or CBI custody. And therein lies the rub. If the probe agencies are motivated by “political vendetta”, as Chidambaram and his party have been claiming all along, what prevents him from appearing before the agencies and cooperating with the probe if he has nothing to hide? That may restore Chidambaram’s fast-eroding moral capital.

Instead of appearing as a fugitive from justice — à la Vijay Mallya — the former Union home minister should have seized the opportunity to set an example and shown conviction in his statement that he is innocent. That would have sent a political message that the Narendra Modi government is “hounding” him and his family members for political reasons. Although he has now been arrested, the agencies are unlikely to keep him in custody for long. The optics of Chidambaram running away and hiding from the law are worse than Chidambaram facing and cooperating with agencies.

Chidambaram

In much the same vein, the Congress, too, is out to commit political hara-kiri. Since the unfolding of events on Wednesday, Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi have tweeted out their support for the former Union home minister and have predictably played the cliched ‘victim card’ to stave off another political crisis. The problem is, the Gandhi scions have exposed yet again their political immaturity in doing so.

Priyanka Gandhi posted two tweets on Wednesday, in which she stated —
but the truth is inconvenient to cowards so he is being shamefully hunted down. We stand by him and will continue to fight for the truth no matter what the consequences are.
2/2

— Priyanka Gandhi Vadra (@priyankagandhi) August 21, 2019
She should have realised that the developments that have unfolded regarding Chidambaram — that she describes as the senior Congress leader “being shamefully hunted down” — took place following an order passed by the Delhi High Court which took away Chidambaram’s legal umbrella. The Supreme Court, too, has refused so far to provide interim relief. Moreover, the Delhi High Court judgment clearly states that “it is preposterous to say that prosecution of the petitioner is baseless, politically motivated and an act of vendetta ... The offenders must be exposed, no matter what their status is.”

Therefore, by backing Chidambaram in the present scenario and alleging that all actions against him are motivated by a political agenda, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has ended up maligning the judiciary and exposing her lack of faith in it. This is also the position taken by Rahul Gandhi, the once-upon-a-time-prime minister-in-waiting, whose political naïveté is painfully evident from his tweet.

Modi's Govt is using the ED, CBI & sections of a spineless media to character assassinate Mr Chidambaram.
I strongly condemn this disgraceful misuse of power.

— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) August 21, 2019
The ED and the CBI have got the licence to go after the former Union home minister because of his alleged misdeeds, and because the judiciary has finally robbed him of his legal immunity. To blame his predicament on the media is childish and petty. But then, the Gandhi family frequently confuses loyalty to the country with loyalty to The Family. It is not their fault
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

chetak wrote:
ramana wrote:P. Chidambaram arrested in New Delhi form his home on 21 August 2019 on charges filed by CBI after anticipatory bail was denied.

his options for going to the SC are now limited because he first has to file for bail in the same jurisdiction where he has been arrested.
Not necessarily. By the special leave of the Supreme Court you can bring anything before the Supreme Court and if they agree to hear the matter and issue an order that is the last word on the subject.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

pankajs wrote:https://twitter.com/Swamy39/status/1164365742873042949

Why were TDK, Buddhu and Bottle uncharacteristically screeching away on Pucca Chor’s arrest? Fear of PC turning approver in coming foreign bank account cases of The Family.
the BJP has gamed this PC saga very well so far.

the morbid fear of AS is now beginning to sear the congis.

Swamy's tweet is pure psyops and a not so veiled warning as well.

BTW, did anyone notice that there were no BJP spokespersons on any of the channels yesterday. The only ones who took the BJP line, if at all, were the hangers-on.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nandakumar wrote:
chetak wrote:
Not necessarily. By the special leave of the Supreme Court you can bring anything before the Supreme Court and if they agree to hear the matter and issue an order that is the last word on the subject.
by the way, the manner in which people at the SC are playing pass the parcel on this bail hearing thing, it's clear that no one is looking to confront the Govt head on.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chetak wrote:by the way, the manner in which people at the SC are playing pass the parcel on this bail hearing thing, it's clear that no one is looking to confront the Govt head on.
Which kind of gives an impression that Hizzoners are also now evaluating the overall political atmosphere in the country. Even when it was the various PILs on J&K and then in the case of Chidambaram-ji; the usual BIF has not been able to make the usual level of progress. Perhaps every one seems to realise that BJP is here to stay for a period of min 10 years (5 years of previous Lok Sabha and 5 years of the current one), and in a mood to reorient their strategies.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

^^
It took the "establishment" a bit of time to reorient its sails now that they can sense the direction of the wind for time to come. They can feel that Modi is here to stay till 2029 at least health permitting and the country's sensibilities have take a decisive turn to the right. Anyone trying to swim against the current will flounder and drown.

Plus, as has been emphasized by many on this forum including yours truly, the old deadwood also needs time to be cleared. I was watching a video of Modi's from before the 2019 GE where he too made the same point about waiting for the deadwood at the top to be cleared for change to be visible.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sachin wrote:
chetak wrote:by the way, the manner in which people at the SC are playing pass the parcel on this bail hearing thing, it's clear that no one is looking to confront the Govt head on.
Which kind of gives an impression that Hizzoners are also now evaluating the overall political atmosphere in the country. Even when it was the various PILs on J&K and then in the case of Chidambaram-ji; the usual BIF has not been able to make the usual level of progress. Perhaps every one seems to realise that BJP is here to stay for a period of min 10 years (5 years of previous Lok Sabha and 5 years of the current one), and in a mood to reorient their strategies.
this is a very strong govt with a hugely popular mandate and an undeniable record of delivery.

in a swachh bharat sort of way, no one is willing to find out which cobwebs are getting cleaned next.

just like the entrenched families appropriating political authority in cashmere under the cover of the dubious Art370, other unelected families here have similarly appropriated constitutional authority far beyond what is democratically permissible or even allowed by salami slicing the constitution and usurping powers not available to similar pillars of democracy anywhere else in the world.

Some have moved from being equals to becoming the first among equals by disallowing any scrutiny of their methodology of succession and propagation thus eliminating all challenges to their supreme authority.

Such is not the framework of democracy as enshrined by the original Constitution of India that was envisaged and was specifically drafted by the Constituent Assembly keeping in mind the checks and balances necessary for the fruitful and efficient functioning of all branches of state without anyone stepping on the other's toes.

maybe its time to restore the original and happy balance, a sort of status quo ante, as it were.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

pankajs wrote:https://twitter.com/Swamy39/status/1164365742873042949

Could somebody please help me. Buddhu and Bottle and both understand and know. Why is TDK called TDK?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Lisa wrote:Could somebody please help me. Buddhu and Bottle and both understand and know. Why is TDK called TDK?
Is TDK a reference to Thadaka a character who appears in one of the puranas?
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Lisa wrote: Could somebody please help me. Buddhu and Bottle and both understand and know. Why is TDK called TDK?
LOL! :rotfl:

https://swamy39abbreviations.wordpress.com/
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:
Could somebody please help me. Buddhu and Bottle and both understand and know. Why is TDK called TDK?
AFAIK, per Swamy

TDK = “tadka”
TDK = TaDaKka for Sonia Gandhi .

Taraka (ताड़का Tāṛakā) or Tadaka or Thataka was a demoness in the epic Ramayana.
Last edited by chetak on 22 Aug 2019 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Thank you. I was trying to understand what a tape cassette would have to do with her!!! :)
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

How critical is bail fof Chidu? Look at the battery of lawyers involved in defense.

https://twitter.com/BBTheorist/status/1 ... 9369559045
S A @BBTheorist

Battery of lawyers and some of the top senior counsels from Supreme Court & High Courts appear for #PChidamabaram today. Kapil Sibal, Dr. AM Singhvi, Vivek Tankha, Nalini Chidambaram, Dayan Krishnan (all Senior Advocates) appearing for Mr. Chidambaram today in CBI Special Court.
Plus Indra Jaisingh. What is she doing but representing the NGO-system that was nurtured under UPA.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

chetak wrote:
the BJP has gamed this PC saga very well so far.

the morbid fear of AS is now beginning to sear the congis.

Swamy's tweet is pure psyops and a not so veiled warning as well.

BTW, did anyone notice that there were no BJP spokespersons on any of the channels yesterday. The only ones who took the BJP line, if at all, were the hangers-on.
The Budhu and Bottle tweets are revealing: they believe courts and investigative agencies are hounding tools of the Lords & Masters of thd country because that's the way The Family has always run things.

I truly envy the younger generation: they are experiencing an India where rule of law, equality before law, all are actually coming to mean something.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

That bleddy Mudi has undone a lot of assumptions amongst the liberals elites. IF Chidu can be thrown in jail are any one of them safe? Lots of folks must have lost sleep yesterdin.

Ye daar aacha hai (quoting Modi)
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter
If it is valid to question Justice Sunil Gaur for rejecting pre-arrest bail for #PChidambaram three days before his retirement, it should also be valid to recall how Justice Tarun Chatterjee in the #SupremeCourt ordered #CBI probe against #AmitShah two days before his retirement.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

pankajs wrote:Embedded Video.

https://twitter.com/PiyushSingh83/statu ... 7124043776
Piyush Singh @PiyushSingh83

@adhirrcinc got exactly what he deserved. People shouted go back to Pakistan & shown black flags in his own constituency.

If you would have supported #370Abrogation you would not have to face embarrassment in your own constituency
Modi set the trap and some just couldn't avoid it given their loyalties. Smart one avoided the trap while still criticizing the "process".
I watched this moron's speech in LS. Modi didn't have to set anything. This fool went to the store, purchased the trap with his own money, removed all his clothes, put himself in the trap, and gleefully danced in public.

Amazing to watch.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

pankajs wrote:CON party has come out in full support of Chidu with Pappu and Pappini tweeting in support. It can only mean one thing. Chidu has threatened to drag then in if they don't stand by him in his hour of need.

Theek hai.
Or it could mean they are just not very bright.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/vikasbha/status/1164415871441391616
Vikas Bhadauria (ABP News) @vikasbha

पूर्व वित्त मंत्री #PChidamabaram के घोटाले में एक बड़े पत्रकार और दो महिला पत्रकरो के नाम सामने आ रहे है, एक के लेपटॉप से बहूत से सबूत मिले हैं।अब समझ आया कि इतने सारे पत्रकार @narendramodi के विरोधी क्यों हैं? पहले कद्दू कटता था तो पत्रकारों में भी बटता था,अब कद्दू कटना बंद है।
Rough translation ...

[[ One big jurno and 2 female jurno are involved with Chindu's fraud and a lot of proof has been unearthed about the involvement of one. Now it is clear why many jurnos are against Modi. Earlier when a fruit was harvested jurnos too got their share, now the fruit harvesting has stopped. ]]

BTW, Coupta stayed away from Chidu's unfolding drama all throughout yesterdin even while tweeting and re-tweeting on other subjects. Only a couple hours back he tweeted on the Chidu affair and that too rather obliquely. Who know who the big jurno involved with Chidu was.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

It looks like cashmere is not the only place where phones are not working :mrgreen:

the meltdown has begun

ANI Verified account @ANI

Kapil Sibal: It's a matter of great concern to us as members of legal fraternity, also it should be a matter of concern as citizens. All we wanted was a hearing,the presiding judge chose instead to say that I am sending the file to CJI. Isn't a citizen entitled to be heard?

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

pankajs wrote:That bleddy Mudi has undone a lot of assumptions amongst the liberals elites. IF Chidu can be thrown in jail are any one of them safe? Lots of folks must have lost sleep yesterdin.

Ye daar aacha hai (quoting Modi)
I watched Mudi interview prior to 2014 elections in which he said,"kuch logon ko darna chahiye." For 5 years I thought it was an empty boast, conditioned as I was to believing,"no one will really do anything for my poor India."

I should have known better.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

If now the Khan Market/Lutyens Gang/NGO front anti-nationals are shivering under NM, then what will happen to these jaichands if and when Amit Shah becomes the PM? I bet nearly all of them will do the Mallya/Nirav Modi act.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Bell .. well ... another one

https://twitter.com/ndtv/status/1164511897451937793
NDTV @ndtv

Court directs case be filed against Ajit Pawar, 70 others in bank scam.