2019 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Re: 2019 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

Post by darshan »

Is GoI required to provide all halal certification cost and collection details? Seems like a clear way to collect islamic terror funding. Even if it doesn’t directly go to terrorists, this does provide an offset to send another stream to terrorists.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

pankajs wrote:The Chidu ripple continues to grow. Virulent BIF folks too seem to have gotten the memo. Modi's work has suddenly started resonating with the unlikeliest folks. #ModiHaiToMumkinHai

https://twitter.com/spudayakumar/status ... 8196762624
S. P. Udayakumar @spudayakumar

Mr. Prime Minister:

I am not a supporter of you, your party or your government. In fact, I oppose your ideology, policies, programs and projects quite earnestly.

But I do appreciate the bold steps you are taking... https://facebook.com/spudayakumaran
Quoting Modi, Ye daar aacha hai.
WOW ... WOW ...

This scum is missionary in chief. Hope Seeman/KamalHassan get the memo too. May be time to book some missionary scums
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Mumtaz Banoji's backyard

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/c ... 3tIOP.html
Communally sensitive question in Bengal school has Hindu groups up in arms, police on alert
A question in an Arabic language test in a state-sponsored school in Bengal’s South 24 Parganas district has caused tension in the area after Hindu groups took up the matter, leading to the administration and police to go on high alert to avert any communal flare-up.

On August 9, class 8 students appearing for a 30-minute third language test at Polerhat High School were asked: “What provokes an evil person?” with the options being “idol worship” and “namaz”.

Since all students who took the test are Muslims, the answer was quite obvious, local Hindus have alleged.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Something that always lurks in my mind is how does evil manifests and lives longer than virtue in Kaliyug.

Look at these scumbags, still living strong and holding power with zero achievements.

Kapil Sibal - August 8, 1948 (age 71 years)
Kamal nath - November 18, 1946 (age 72 years)
Jagdish Tytler - January 11, 1944 (age 75 years)
Lalu Prasad Yadav - June 11, 1948 (age 71 years)

And now look these achievers and true servants of Bharat, all gone.

Arun Jaitley - December 28, 1952
Sushma Swaraj - February 14, 1952
Manohar Parrikar - December 13, 1955

I think the stress of performing is so great on BJP that everyone can't take the daily grind. Parrikar's case is different.

May parmatama give long and healthy life to Namo, Amit Shah and all the junior leaders!
Last edited by vimal on 25 Aug 2019 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

I wonder what the Indian list of these flaggers looks like.

https://transparencyreport.google.com/y ... licy/flags
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

McDonald's offers halal certified in islamic countries. By offering only halal in India, they are islamizing India.

https://www.change.org/p/mcdonalds-that ... e_petition
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

vimal wrote:Something that always lurks in my mind is how does evil manifests and lives longer than virtue in Kaliyug.

Look at these scumbags, still living strong and holding power with zero achievements.

Kapil Sibal - August 8, 1948 (age 71 years)
Kamal nath - November 18, 1946 (age 72 years)
Jagdish Tytler - January 11, 1944 (age 75 years)

Arun Jaitley - December 28, 1952
Sushma Swaraj - February 14, 1952
Manohar Parrikar - December 13, 1955

I think the stress of performing is so great on BJP that everyone can't take the daily grind. Parrikar's case is different.

May parmatama give long and healthy life to Namo, Amit Shah and all the junior leaders!
Karunanidhi lived to be >90. Other stalwarts like Lalu, Kejri, RaGa, are going to live forever (or at least till 90's) despite whatever drug or bottle addictions or multiple *** partners. These guys make money and enjoy life, destress, have no qualms about serving the nation. Relatively stress free, even if opponents sic the CBI on them, they get to buy lawyers and judges, give them cuts, get away; enjoy at multiple levels, laugh at opponents, sleep around (literally and figuratively), enjoy damaging the nation.

People who slog have no outlet, they become workaholics, stress about state of the nation, try to take it all on themselves (like Parrikar ji did - working late, sleeping 5 hours a day, taking on other people's work as well, because he felt he couldn't trust them enough to delegate the work). No time to destress or enjoy, they are on a mission, or feel they are on a mission. Guess what happens.

There's got to be a better way to serve the nation, while also ensuring that one is around for a while, not popping off too early or becoming unable to serve because of disability. Physical fitness should be mandatory for public servants in high positions, and that should include adequate rest and destressing. Learn to find or train trusted deputies and delegates. Which is why I freak when I hear that NaMo also sleeps only 5 hours a day and is a workaholic to boot. Well, he does yoga, but yoga isn't going to substitute for lack of sleep.
sreeji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sreeji »

Just wanted to come out of lurk mode with a small point.
Living long doesn't mean they are happy. Karunanidhi had multiple ailments, had to see his party lose power and infighting amongst his many children. Same for others who lived long. And who knows he may have been reborn as a girl in Pakistan :twisted: .
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

sreeji wrote:Just wanted to come out of lurk mode with a small point.
Living long doesn't mean they are happy. Karunanidhi had multiple ailments, had to see his party lose power and infighting amongst his many children. Same for others who lived long. And who knows he may have been reborn as a girl in Pakistan :twisted: .
or a goat.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

His party may still come to power now.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Looks like local action. Hopefully, someday it will be extended over time to cover eminent gassbags too.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 823614.cms
Noida: Five journalists booked under Gangster Act for circulating fake news
NOIDA: Five journalists, including three out on bail in a corruption case, have been booked under the Gangster Act for allegedly circulating fake news on their portals.

Police said the accused were trying to create pressure on cops in connection with the corruption case that is already in court, and have listed 10 news articles that the cops claim are motivated. One such news article accused the SSP of giving caste-based promotions to cops in Gautam Budh Nagar.

<snip>

The journalists have denied the allegations against them, saying the police should have sent them a notice if they had any objections to the news articles. “We are being framed in a baseless case. If the police had issues with our articles, they should have given us notices and we would have produced evidence to prove our points. But they misused their power to book us under the Gangster’s Act. We will challenge them in court,” said Rai.
On Saturday evening, district magistrate BN Singh and Noida police chief Vaibhav Krishna told a news conference that inter-state criminals were posing as journalists.

“The accused would give lucrative offers to senior police officers to get their job done. If the cops declined, they would broadcast unverified and motivated news against these officers,” Krishna said.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

the website pgurus has picked this up so now a lot of Right Wingers will clamber on for the ride and its surely goodbye halal as far as mcdonalds India is concerned as well as other ameriki chains also dumping halal and maybe moving to some form of "pre-stunned halal" hoping that semantics and wordplay legerdemain would fool their more jehadi customers.

McDonald’s faces controversy in India for declaring selling only Halal meat
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

pankajs wrote:The Chidu ripple continues to grow. Virulent BIF folks too seem to have gotten the memo. Modi's work has suddenly started resonating with the unlikeliest folks. #ModiHaiToMumkinHai

https://twitter.com/spudayakumar/status ... 8196762624
S. P. Udayakumar @spudayakumar

Mr. Prime Minister:

I am not a supporter of you, your party or your government. In fact, I oppose your ideology, policies, programs and projects quite earnestly.

But I do appreciate the bold steps you are taking... https://facebook.com/spudayakumaran
Quoting Modi, Ye daar aacha hai.
It may be darr of the next in line-> AS. :D

Vajpayee>Advani>Modi>Amit Shah>Yogi!!
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Congress govt in Madhya Pradesh to introduce courses in govt and private colleges on ‘life, ideology and policies’ of Rajiv Gandhi
https://www.opindia.com/2019/08/madhya- ... iv-gandhi/

With targeting of ganja, that too in MP, effects of western influences are showing. Marijuana has been part of civilizational traits. Westerners first got people to ban it while they kept figuring out how to cash out using it as wonderful drug.

Vyapam ‘whistleblower’ and Congress sympathiser doctor publishes confidential medical report to falsely malign Baba Ramdev’s associate
https://www.opindia.com/2019/08/vyapam- ... associate/
Last edited by darshan on 25 Aug 2019 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

darshan wrote:Congress govt in Madhya Pradesh to introduce courses in govt and private colleges on ‘life, ideology and policies’ of Rajiv Gandhi
https://www.opindia.com/2019/08/madhya- ... iv-gandhi/
Why hasn't MP govt fallen yet? Weren't we expecting it to happen after KA?
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

sudarshan wrote:
vimal wrote:Something that always lurks in my mind is how does evil manifests and lives longer than virtue in Kaliyug.

There's got to be a better way to serve the nation, while also ensuring that one is around for a while, not popping off too early or becoming unable to serve because of disability. Physical fitness should be mandatory for public servants in high positions, and that should include adequate rest and destressing. Learn to find or train trusted deputies and delegates. Which is why I freak when I hear that NaMo also sleeps only 5 hours a day and is a workaholic to boot. Well, he does yoga, but yoga isn't going to substitute for lack of sleep.
One reason why I hope there is succession lined up. Too much is at stake to depend on one or two people. Modi must have been 'spotted' in BJP 25-30 years ago., and 'nurtured'. He was spotted and then directly given the CMship of Gujrat in 2001, without any prior experience in holding a public office. Surely there must be others with a similar (not at the same level, but similar) promise. Too much is at stake for the nation to rely on one or two people.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

SriKumar wrote:He was spotted and then directly given the CMship of Gujrat in 2001, without any prior experience in holding a public office.
He was active way before that. During emergency, then he was with MM Joshi when the BJP group unfurled the tricolour at Lal Chowk Srinagar in 1992. He was the party in charge of Gujarat in 1995 when the infamous Khajurai vs Hajuria revolt happened. Modi was dragged into it and he promptly resigned.

In 1996 Lok Sabha elections, he was the party prabhari for Haryana I think.I recall him answering questions on why BJP was allied with the then Samta Party (merged with one of splinter JD factions to form JDU) in Bihar while they were allied with Haryana Vikas Congress in Haryana instead of Samta Party (led by Chautala) and he answered with his usual poise- the alliances were formalised at state level and hence the state units were empowered to ally with like-minded parties.

He may not have held any public office, but there was a reason that he was brought in as the CM of Gujarat. He was deeply familiar with both the party and the administration in the state.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Yes Modi was not paradropped into a position of power like Amul baby!
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/news ... -telangana
BJP challenges TRS in telangana
Hyderabad: Through sustained efforts in the last three months, the Bharatiya Janata Party, which romped to power at the Centre with an increased majority, has emerged as the main challenger to the ruling Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) in Telangana, relegating the Congress to a third spot. This pitchforks BJP to be in the race for power in this crucial southern state in the next elections.

Surprisingly, the BJP, which managed to get one MLA in the Assembly with strength of 119 in Telangana by losing four of its sitting legislators, is now a force to reckon with. The BJP currently won four Lok Sabha MPs and two Rajya Sabha MPs, after TRS member D. Srinivas almost joined the party and TDP member Garikapati Mohan Rao joined the party this week.

Mohan Rao joined the BJP in the presence of party national working president J.P. Nadda who was here on a two-day visit early this week. BJP’s local leaders are rubbing their eyes in disbelief as they now have six MPs in their fold. They attribute this spurt in growth of the party to the charisma of Prime Minister Narendra Modi since recently and renewed efforts of national president Amit Shah to wrest Telangana soon.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/oratorgreat/status/ ... 1057511425
Sriram Karri @oratorgreat

Even as @JaiTDP is weakening @BJP4Andhra will grow strong in #AndhraPradesh as @AndhraPradeshCM @ysjagan seems to push for #Communal #caste politics and #HinduChristian tensions @ncbn @naralokesh
@DeccanChronicle
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

vimal wrote:Yes Modi was not paradropped into a position of power like Amul baby!
Please dont waste my time with your sarcasm and a pointless one-liner.
Last edited by SriKumar on 25 Aug 2019 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Kashi wrote:
SriKumar wrote:He was spotted and then directly given the CMship of Gujrat in 2001, without any prior experience in holding a public office.

He may not have held any public office, but there was a reason that he was brought in as the CM of Gujarat. He was deeply familiar with both the party and the administration in the state.
Yes, I know he was active way before that, but that was not my point. And I am familiar with some aspects of his activies even if I do not know all the details or google around. I've seen his speech to Lohana community, when he was an unknown (people ignored him completely in the beginning even as he was speaking) and also the photo in Lal Chowk. It is not about Modi's prior experience, it is about getting alternatives. Yogi is Yogi, but surely there is someone else in the party (or RSS) as yet not on the national sphere who shows similar promise (this is where Modi was way before he became CM: the party people knew his potential and capabilities even if he did not hold a public office. Are there others like this that are not yet on the national scene?)
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Please to discuss M.J. Akbar's take on Modi's foreign policy.
https://openthemagazine.com/special/mod ... alignment/
The five pillars of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s foreign policy are rooted in India’s national interest, civilisational philosophy, and the republican and democratic ethos of the 21st century. They are:

Sammaan: Respect for every nation’s sovereignty;
Samvaad: Greater engagement with all countries;
Suraksha: Security; India is a responsible power—neither aggression nor adventurism exists in its DNA;
Samriddhi: Shared prosperity;
Sanskriti and Sabhyata: The persuasive reach of cultural values anchored in a philosophy which believes that the world is a family.
These principles enable India to maintain friendships across binaries. Observers and analysts are sometimes surprised to learn that Prime Minister Modi can welcome Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu of Israel in Delhi as an honoured guest, and within three weeks become the first Indian PM to visit Palestine and receive its highest civilian award. But no Indian is surprised. Indeed, Indians would consider it remiss if both did not happen.
India believes that friendship is not a zero-sum game; our relations with Washington are at an apex, while Tehran has been a friend of long standing. Over the last five years, many new economic and strategic bridges have been constructed with the UAE and Saudi Arabia, and we are determined that they flourish for the good of our people. Indians constitute the largest expatriate population in the Gulf. Our investment in our Near West includes the Chabahar port in Iran, which is being developed as our trade link to Afghanistan and Central Asia, regions which have been blocked by an obstinate, country-wide wall, forcing India to create sea and air corridors. In Afghanistan, we are engaged in development projects in almost every province, designed to improve the life of our Afghan friends.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 24167.html
Congress leaders in Kerala take on Shashi Tharoor for remarks praising PM Narendra Modi
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ramesh Chennithala said the "wrong doings" of the Modi government cannot be "ignored", while state Congress president Mullapally Ramachandran said Tharoor's statement was "unfortunate" and he would speak to him.
Daar to aacha hai BUT confusion aur bhi aacha hai.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

UCC is coming soon ....

https://theprint.in/opinion/remember-ar ... ws/281731/
Remember Arun Jaitley when India adopts Uniform Civil Code & buries regressive personal laws
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Kashi wrote: He was active way before that. During emergency, then he was with MM Joshi when the BJP group unfurled the tricolour at Lal Chowk Srinagar in 1992. He was the party in charge of Gujarat in 1995 when the infamous Khajurai vs Hajuria revolt happened. Modi was dragged into it and he promptly resigned.
Slight corrections., It was not just Khajuria vs. Hajuria revolt. First BJP government* in 1995 in Gujarat had several factions and two prominent ones were "Hajurias" a.ka 'yes men' (Kesubhai faction of hanger ons -generally kin) and "Khajurias" (as in dates of date palm) a.ka 'Hanger ons' - also got that sobriquet because they shifted with Sankarsingh Vaghela to Khajurao., Both the factions were eating away the party from within.

Shankersingh Vaghela wanted to go for the power and he revolted causing Kesubhai patel to resign (the Khajuria faction). Sankersingh Vaghela was considered near to Modi (or rather reverse) and hence Modi was pushed out to Haryana. Though Modi had nothing to do with it. In Haryana, Modi again created history as you sir rightly point out.

In 1998, it was Modi who engineered the return of BJP in Gujarat. Basically defeated both the hajuria and khajuria factions. Having twice engineered return of BJP and a restless soul, he was kicked upstairs to Delhi (where he made a very keen friendship with Jaitley). Modi was considered powerful in 1998 itself and there were several factions aligning against him already. On top of it, he was critical of the administration and the pace of it.

It was in 2001 during Kutch earthquake, Modi was brought back into Gujarat for two reasons. The larger central leadership needed somebody who was non-corrupt to handle the aid that would flow into Gujarat and actually do some work. Also the factions were happy that if BJP lost 2002 elections (most likely), they will have a fall guy in Modi. The rest is history.

*First BJP government in 1995 in Gujarat had two important backroom 'engineers'. Modi and Amit Shah.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^There in hangs another tale. If one has to follow just the lutyens journos or what I call #mediapimps, one would not be able to see the people behind the power. It takes a team and ideas and execution and laying out processes - election is hardwork and intelligence.

That is why I always believe a democratically elected grass roots leader (LBS, MD, IG, PVNR, NM) bring in change or create history than parachuted leaders like RG or JLN or MMS.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

A_Gupta wrote:Please to discuss M.J. Akbar's take on Modi's foreign policy.
https://openthemagazine.com/special/mod ... alignment/
These principles enable India to maintain friendships across binaries. Observers and analysts are sometimes surprised to learn that Prime Minister Modi can welcome Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu of Israel in Delhi as an honoured guest, and within three weeks become the first Indian PM to visit Palestine and receive its highest civilian award. But no Indian is surprised. Indeed, Indians would consider it remiss if both did not happen.
India believes that friendship is not a zero-sum game; our relations with Washington are at an apex, while Tehran has been a friend of long standing. Over the last five years, many new economic and strategic bridges have been constructed with the UAE and Saudi Arabia, and we are determined that they flourish for the good of our people. Indians constitute the largest expatriate population in the Gulf. Our investment in our Near West includes the Chabahar port in Iran, which is being developed as our trade link to Afghanistan and Central Asia, regions which have been blocked by an obstinate, country-wide wall, forcing India to create sea and air corridors. In Afghanistan, we are engaged in development projects in almost every province, designed to improve the life of our Afghan friends.
I think this also demonstrates terrific strategic naivety at times from the Indian side in that they think they can be friends with both sides and both sides will be happy with them. That is, if the authors claims are true.

I am currently reading this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_and_Kill_First

And the amount of blood Israel has spilled in the pursuit of its national security could fill an ocean, as is the blood it has lost in terror attacks to Palestinian suicide bombers, terror attacks.

With such a security establishment on both sides, for India to waltz in and claim neutrality - likely doesn't endear itself to either side beyond a point. At best, they accept it but don't really like it.

Not saying we should pick sides, but the glowing terms in which our strategy is portrayed as some kind of moral victory, as versus pragmatism, is jarring. Call it what it is.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

India should send troops to AFG to secure our borders. Find a way to supply troops and encircle pak.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

V_Raman wrote:India should send troops to AFG to secure our borders.Find a way to supply troops and encircle pak.
Reminds me of the recipe for tiger soup. "First catch a tiger..."
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

@KaranM I didn't get that Akbar was presenting the Indian policy as a "a Great Moral Victory" at all. He was giving a keynote speech and attempting to spell out the underlying principles of Modi's policy.

I get the impression that somehow that this has irritated you, and you feel that Modi's policy should be more accurately portrayed as ad hoc and expedient, naively (your word) playing both sides in a conflict till we somehow get "caught" and and both sides come after us. Or you think India is proclaiming an equal-equal phony neutrality.

My own takeaway is that Modi's policy as explained by Akbar is to tell everyone, we want to be friends, let's get rich together. We know you people have fights among yourselves and that worries us because it interferes with our goal of getting rich. And by the way, (said with a sweet smile and hug unless it is a terrorist country, and sometimes even then) don't even think of coming at us, we'll make you sorry. (This last part, as well as the part about getting rich, was consciously excluded by Nehru). Modi has said these exact things in his own earthy style many times.

I don't find that formulation naive or just "pragmatic'" (perhaps you meant ad hoc? As pragmatic policy can be highly principled as well as arguably moral) at all.

And it is not about trying to make any side "happy with us." (I am actually surprised that you would use this formulation, as surely you know Modi's India better than this) It is really setting our terms and telling everyone, hey this is what India wants our relationship to be. Ased on, do you want to be in or out? And a huhe number of countries are opting in, with US (being the arrogant and foolish but powerful country it is) having a harder time than others at accepting a relationship in which it doesn't set 100% of the terms.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Mayawati too got the memo but some did not .. Yesterdin PG Vadra made some insane comment on Kashmir situation. She should at least have learned from the reception that mangos gave to Adhir Ranjan of her own party. I think the party has been captured by the BIF and NGO types such that it is making their own MLAs and MPs uncomfortable. Theek hai.

https://twitter.com/EconomicTimes/statu ... 4542937088
EconomicTimes @EconomicTimes

#Mayawati slams #Opposition leaders for scheduling visit to J&K without permission | Download the ET App here: http://bit.ly/ETMainApp
Added Later: Here I am not talking about the memo from Mudi but the memo from the beepul of Bharat.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/barandbench/status/ ... 3487467520
Bar & Bench @barandbench

INX Media: P Chidambaram's petition before Supreme Court challenging the CBI Court's order remanding him to custody not listed today. Senior Counsel Kapil Sibal mentions this before Bench headed by Justice Banumathi. Court says order from CJI needed for listing.
IIRC, I heard Banumathi is a crypto via Coupta in some video. Zero Sibal up to his usual "bench shopping" tricks where he thinks some judge would be more "flexible".
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/will-p- ... ts-2090343
Setback For P Chidambaram In CBI Arrest Case, Top Court Won't Hear Plea
New Delhi: Former Finance Minister P Chidambaram, arrested on Wednesday in a corruption investigation, suffered a series of setbacks in the Supreme Court today. His petition challenging his CBI custody was not listed for a hearing at the top court. A bench told Mr Chidambaram's lawyer Kapil Sibal that the petition would be listed only after "orders from Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi". The top court also refused to take up his petition requesting protection from arrest by the CBI - filed on Wednesday - saying it was "infructuous" now as he had since been arrested. The court is now hearing Mr Chidambaram's petition for protection from arrest by the Enforcement Directorate.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

pravula wrote:
or a goat.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 834706.cms
Or Have a Temple constructed and be proclaimed divinity posthumously :D
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/kdrajagopal/status/ ... 2926466048
Krishnadas Rajagopal @kdrajagopal

SC dismisses SLP filed by Chidambaram against CBI under which Delhi HC refused him anticipatory bail. He can move for regular bail. Court concerned can consider regular bail plea without being influenced by orders passed by any court and as per procedure passed by law @the_hindu
https://twitter.com/utkarsh_aanand/stat ... te]Utkarsh Anand @utkarsh_aanand

Setback for #PChidambaram as the #SupremeCourt declines to pass order on his first petition against #CBI.
SC holds it to be infructuous.

"Can't entertain this after your arrest," says court.[/quote]
ED case is still being heard.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

KLNMurthy wrote:@KaranM I didn't get that Akbar was presenting the Indian policy as a "a Great Moral Victory" at all. He was giving a keynote speech and attempting to spell out the underlying principles of Modi's policy.

I get the impression that somehow that this has irritated you, and you feel that Modi's policy should be more accurately portrayed as ad hoc and expedient, naively (your word) playing both sides in a conflict till we somehow get "caught" and and both sides come after us. Or you think India is proclaiming an equal-equal phony neutrality.
You are not getting my point at all. MJ Akbars claims about India's foreign policy make for good PR. However, in a hard nosed discussion of the sort we engage in, we have to look beyond the optics and realize it's pragmatism that drives us, and that's ok too. But we shouldn't get caught up in backslapping ourselves on how we are so good at all this.

What I am also pointing to, is we have to be careful. In specific, in the middle east, rivers of blood have flowed between multiple sides. How do you think they look at India waltzing in? I'd quote a specific point from the book I was referencing. The US was striking up relationships with the PLO, the Israelis already had the specific guy on their hitlist & instead of backing off made it a point to kill him & his successor to indicate their displeasure. The US became pro-PLO to a degree because of that. Years later, in comes Hezbollah and one of the first things they do, is massacre the very Americans who were acting as intermediaries in the Arab-Israeli-Pal relationship. Can you see what I am pointing to? Do you think such folks, who literally trade in their & their peers blood, are impressed by how we are "friends with everyone". Not really. They are often consumed by their own wars & hold long grudges. They may accept their need to be friends with us because of politics - Israel particularly, because it has so many countries breathing down its neck over human rights etc, having India on its side (business/UN) is a very big deal for them. To a degree. Because they do have the US.

Navigating this minefield is a challenge by itself & I'd hope we openly recognize this in forums like this (where we are not beholden to any PR) and see how best to do it. The viciousnes is of a class by itself and hard to believe, these are hard countries which survive by the sword first and foremost and run by tyrants or natsec establishments which are not at all like India's in years past. The kinds of attack we suffered at the hands of Pak, and which our establishment washed off due to secularism.. well, Israels response would have been a mass targeted killing campaign (which is what they excel at) and Iran's would be to sponsor mass terror attacks via proxies (which is what they excel at), Saudis would be to finance multiple groups and even lobby western nation states to push their interests (which is what they & Qatar excel at).. list goes on and on.. all these countries are ruthless and their establishments likewise. I am presuming post Modi India is beginning to play this great game too, but I for sure hope we never ever assume good intentions are enough.

The other day, Iran's Khamenei openly made a comment that India better treat its muslims in J&K well, following up with "ah, this is a Brit problem y'all are suffering from". The second may or may not deflect from the first statement, but what also matters is that Iranian intell ran a hostile op against Israel, in India. They brazenly disregarded our sovereignty when doing so. Point I am making is that its high-time we started cultivating our own assets in all these nations in turn as well. Jadhavs abduction is another point - what exactly happened, how did he get picked up? Similarly, the details regarding how Iranian intelligence was brutalizing our guys in Iran when Hamid Ansari was the ambassador there. Friendly country? One which was all into "friendship"/long term ties since PVNRs time and what not?

This development, we all grow together stuff doesn't work for many groups, especially ideological Islamist ones. Several reports of how prior to the Intifada, Israel tried bribing the Pals. It backfired & the Intifada was in part launched because they didn't want anything to do with the jews. Ditto for Iran, is the junta there interested in development or ideological purity? If we start working with Iran to develop them (ergo more money for Hezbollah) do you think the Israelis will sit quiet and watch us do it? What of Hamas's Sunni sponsors?

Net, building up strength via own capabilities in these countries and having levers to use against them along with/with them may well help our diplomats far more than just trying to "keep good ties with everyone". Easier said than done, but needs to be thought through.

I'll wager a dime to a dozen, that a lot of the anti-India rhetoric being carried by western/Indian media is funded by Gulf patrons. They do this while simultaneously pinning awards on Modi, and also pay off Pak enough that it remains viable enough to be a threat to India. That's the game.

I hope we also start working on deterrence, whilst smiling at everyone and shaking hands. That will really cement our relationship, not just trade, we have muslims etc. Everyone will want us within the tent, p*ssing outside as versus outside the tent...
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

I'll wager a dime to a dozen, that a lot of the anti-India rhetoric being carried by western/Indian media is funded by Gulf patrons. They do this while simultaneously pinning awards on Modi, and also pay off Pak enough that it remains viable enough to be a threat to India. That's the game.
Isn’t MJ Akbar’s article part of the Indian side of this game? Lofty rhetoric and noble intentions proclaimed, while doing other less public things. A League of Nations grin-f**king each other.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Didn't Maulana Mudi say "Saab ka ssath, saab ka vikas aur saab ki vishwash"

Does anyone doubt Mudi is striving to earn the vishwash of all Indian including Kashmiris?

Added later: See the latest
https://www.deccanherald.com/internatio ... 56824.html
Modi focuses on winning hearts of people in J&K
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has special focus on winning the hearts of the people in Jammu and Kashmir and the government is committed to bring development and generate employment in the region, a senior BJP leader said here.

<SNIP>

"Now, certainly, there will be special focus by Prime Minister Modi on how to win the hearts of the people of Jammu and Kashmir. That will make a huge difference," he said.

Vijayvargiya said Modi has assured the people of J&K that the government is committed to the development and employment generation in the region.