J&K Union Territory-2019

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: J&K Union Territory-2019

Post by UlanBatori »

The chagrin on the MSM as JKL proceeds in peace and normalcy, is palpable. Now terms like Modi Power Grab, Pakistan Running Out of Options, China Expresses Displeasure at Unilateral BlahBlah. Seriously out of stuff to write. We are failing in not making a table of hostile writers and conveying that the list will stay on the 'Net. Nothing derogatory, just plain factual.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

KJo wrote: How do we handle this?
Unfortunately, it should be done. if not today, 10 years later. we are relatively in stronger position now. better do it now.
My other question is why wasn't Jammu separated from Kashmir and the entire state made into 3 UTs? Jammu is mostly peaceful so the focus for cleanup would be Kashmir UT.
even if we throw the whole community to andaman islands, they are still part of india and enjoys same privilege as us. better engage the threat head on. I am sure bjp will have fair idea by the end of this term. 5 years are very long period. anything can happen. let's not constrain ourselves on our own.

tbh i don't know why pakis not fighting. their whole thing is under threat now. they have very limited window of opportunity. makes me wonder why we pacified these cowards all these decades. is that all just rope? no snake is there?
Last edited by syam on 10 Aug 2019 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

I think the map says it all.

It should be possible to create a massive investment opportunities in at least Jammu area. I think India should invest in Ladhak, but not so much that it "swamps" the people.
Last edited by Rishirishi on 10 Aug 2019 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

^^^
It was a chanakyan move to keep Jammu and Kashmir together. This is to ensure that there is a sizable % of patriotic Indians keeping the balance. These same indians will grow and expand into Kashmir.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Rishirishi wrote:
I think the map says it all.

It should be possible to create a massive investment opportunities in at least Jammu area. I think India should invest in Ladhak, but not so much that it "swamps" the people.
Just curious.

Are we sure of the %ages?

I recall - some time back - reading that Ladhak had more Muslims than Buddhists, but a combined Hindu + Buddhists was greater than the Muslim population. That number for Ladhak seems to me is a combination.

Also, %age wise, the total pop of Ladhak is fairly insignificant - relatively (just for stats sake) to the entire pop of that region, while area wise it carries a lot of weight.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

neeraj wrote:^^^
It was a chanakyan move to keep Jammu and Kashmir together. This is to ensure that there is a sizable % of patriotic Indians keeping the balance. These same indians will grow and expand into Kashmir.
I think the "patriotic parts" and the marginal parts should be invested in massively. This will attract people from "non patriotic" areas.

Probelm is Namo may not stay in power for such long term planning.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

MAD are inspired by UP example. That Vikas-greed will out-motivate bigot-greed. So maybe 50% of KVM will go into good ol' capitalist greed. The remaining 50% will be split into passive layabouts, and malcontent-terrorist-bait. The last segment will have to be uprooted. But now we are down to 20% of the population. Enough social engineering can be done with intelligent migration to counter this 20% and start winning majorities for development-based govts even in KV. The key is in going to Panchayat level.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

WaPo finds stuff

High time this Niha begum was packed off to Isloo, hain? Why does Indian guvrmand tolerate these snakes?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

PLEASE PIN THIS AT THE TOP?

Reuters Caught Lying About "10,000 people protest"

If Mullah Shivullah is reading this he may recall how he once participated in an actual count of a "20,000 protestor" funeral rally for a terrorist who had been pest-e-sha'eeded. The total was no more than 200.

They are at it again. NOW this explains why the Massive 10,000 people Protest in Srinagar did not make it to any Indian news channel: it didn't happen.
The photos/ video were probably from Lahore, Near Bangalore, Kerala, or Gujranwala.

IIRC, the source of the video was carefully fabricated by Reuters as "in video viewed by western media".
Reuters and thus WaPO/NYT/BeeBeeSee/Al Jazeera picked it up.

Now the MHA corrects: From India Today:
Completely fabricated, incorrect: MHA refutes Reuters report on protests in Kashmir
In a statement, an MHA spokesperson said that the reports of protest involving 10,000 people in Srinagar was completely incorrect.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Saturday refuted a Reuters report on protests in Kashmir due to scrapping of Article 370.

In a statement, an MHA spokesperson said that the reports of protest involving 10,000 people in Srinagar was completely incorrect.

"There are media reports claiming there was a protest involving 10,000 people in Srinagar. This is completely fabricated and incorrect. There have been a few stray protests in Srinagar/Baramulla and none involved a crowd of more than 20 people," the spokesperson said.

Earlier, Reuters had reported that at least 10,000 people had protested in Srinagar on Friday, according to a police official and two witnesses said.
Time to demand expulsion of Niha The TruthFull (WaPO flunky) as well as the Reuters, NYT and all other WaPO creeps from India.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

a perspective on 370 from our muslim brothers from shivajinagar, bangalore and in proper daccani too.
please listen to the whole thing. they even talk about ik-trump.

"poora kashmir aise nayyiye, aour ye jo infection hein jo kashmir ka it is limited 2-3 districts."
"when pandits go back and settle in kashmir, the issue of kashmir is settled".
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1) but i was disappointed with Modi ji's speech. It was a v good oppurtunity to convey the matter v clearly to the KM's. after a bit of developmental talks, Modi ji should have said ' pakis deluded u all for 70 years with empty rhetoric while they filled their pockets with begging money. Now pakis are a pauper and yourr future is with a strong, vibrant India and not with a beggar , failing Pakistan. All those who have taken up guns should give up and return as good honourble citizen and build a new J&K. Violence has led u fellas nowhere and will lead u to a dead end only. Dont destroy your life , families etc etc. " i think this bit was sorely missing from PMs speech. 2) nothing much will happen. after being drugged for 70 yrs with 370, now the drip is removed. thoda hangover and withdrawl hoga. time will heal everything.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

My impression was that the address was not off the cuff but he was reading from a teleprompter. The address must have been prepared with much thought and focused on what Modi wanted to convey.

Therefore to me it looks like whatever was missing was deliberate.

Added later: Not every thing has to be spelled out. Some things are understood by the style of the delivery, the context of the delivery, the time of delivery and the mode (here Modi himself) of the delivery.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

UlanBatori wrote: Now the MHA corrects: From India Today:
Completely fabricated, incorrect: MHA refutes Reuters report on protests in Kashmir
Yes,
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/c ... 2019-08-10

But India Today has still kept its original report of the protest up as well.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/t ... 2019-08-10

Not having the press widely wandering around Srinagar is a double-edged sword.
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

I still feel apprehensive about what happens at SC. Some say the move was legal, some say no. Obviously its also tainted by everyone's biases. What are the chances of SC scrapping the move?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Pls get Dilbuji to do the lungi-shiver on that one. :mrgreen:
If SC scraps the scrap, then we are back to square one:
Jammu-Kashmir is an Integral Part of India.
Pakistan will :evil: :twisted: :(( for that too.
But somehow I think Ladakh will decide to stay free.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

kittoo wrote:I still feel apprehensive about what happens at SC. Some say the move was legal, some say no. Obviously its also tainted by everyone's biases. What are the chances of SC scrapping the move?
Read Suraj's explanation about it.
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

kittoo wrote:I still feel apprehensive about what happens at SC. Some say the move was legal, some say no. Obviously, its also tainted by everyone's biases. What are the chances of SC scrapping the move?
SC derives its power from the constitution. Constitution has the 370 Presidential notification clause. Governor who is appointed by the President of India to represent a state which again is a constitutional position. So there goes the verdict. The point that the Lutyens crowd does not understand is that in the Indian constitution the power between state and center is not a balanced one. Center has a lot more power than the state. So the theory they are floating is actually true. The central government can dismiss a state legislative assembly and then convert that into a union territory or split into many states if they have majority support in both the houses of the parliament. The key is having support in both the houses of Parliament. Ultimately parliament reflects the will of the people period. Thank god for Ambedkar and his team!
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

UlanBatori wrote:Pls get Dilbuji to do the lungi-shiver on that one. :mrgreen:
If SC scraps the scrap, then we are back to square one:
Jammu-Kashmir is an Integral Part of India.
Pakistan will :evil: :twisted: :(( for that too.
But somehow I think Ladakh will decide to stay free.
I think Dilbuji can relax on this one. We got this and we will ride it out.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The papparazzi seem to have all gone to PORK and Terroristan-Mainland to report on the mass Abduls screaming. ONE strafing run with an Apache or Kamov, with cannon firing at 4000 per minute.... (sigh!)

s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMsC50pki64

https://news.sky.com/video/passions-are ... s-11781553
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

BTW, even YAWN has decided to move on.. to such tender topics:
Anoushey Ashraf urges people to treat sacrificial animals with love
"Don't take photos and videos of the sacrifice. The animals are not for show, this occasion isn’t a show," she wrote. Then again, get your coujin to bugger them while still alive.
and
Madressahs body asks govt to stop data collection of students
ITMP accuses federal govt of failing to set up regional centres for registration of seminaries with education ministry.
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

https://www.dailyexcelsior.com/restrict ... -5-others/

A good description of the current status in J&K. Looks like Jammu region will return to normalcy much faster. Hope when the communication link is restored enough is done to pick authentic intelligence and response to crises can happen on time. Biggest test will be when the internet and mobile services are restored. I think political leaders will be in detention for a long time.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

pankajs wrote:My impression was that the address was not off the cuff but he was reading from a teleprompter. The address must have been prepared with much thought and focused on what Modi wanted to convey.

Therefore to me it looks like whatever was missing was deliberate.

Added later: Not every thing has to be spelled out. Some things are understood by the style of the delivery, the context of the delivery, the time of delivery and the mode (here Modi himself) of the delivery.
It was the first official statement by the PM, and was watched around the globe with people of all sorts (not just Kashmiri valley Muslims) analyzing every word. So it was carefully worded, like an official press release. No doubt there will be future opportunities to get the message across to the people in the valley.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

A_Gupta wrote:
UlanBatori wrote: Now the MHA corrects: From India Today:
Yes,
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/c ... 2019-08-10

But India Today has still kept its original report of the protest up as well.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/t ... 2019-08-10

Not having the press widely wandering around Srinagar is a double-edged sword.
Here a very refreshing look at it from Aslam Gora. He shows video clips from ANI completely refuting the claims of the various other agencies. NY Crimes today has a front page photo and article on 'Turmoil in Kashmir' with the usual BS about 'Hindu majority, Muslim minority'. At one point Gora comments on 'Bharat Mata ki Jai' and 'Vande Mataram' as beautiful phrases that every Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi should be proud of and be able to say without any bias. The video clips show people offering namaz peacefully and some even talk to the camera and say everything is normal. There are girls going to school and saying they are very happy. In Jammu the BJP is hoisting Indian flags and celebrating. He also states that news media around the world (mentions Al Jazeera by name and the BBC Hindi division) is showing old clips in an attempt to portray unrest and turmoil where there is really none.

Interestingly, the ticker running underneath the video says Malala Yousufzai is speaking out against the abrogation of 370, - I for one am not surprised.

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I wonder how many Muslims are closet Hindus.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

BBC claims this was the Soura Protest with 10,000,000,000 protestors, and they "witnessed polis opening fire" (but I don't see that in the video).

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/49306816/ar ... s-happened

Need some BRF-quality analysis. I wonder how they were able to go out and sit so nicely in a ground, when the place was under 144CrPC except to go to mosque and bray. Also, see the video shot over the shoulder of the Yeller. That guy would have been rushed out of there by any competent Polis, hain? So I think this whole thing is fishy. The flags shown are Pakistani, so the ones holding those should now be breaking rocks in Arunachal or buried already. It looks like video shot INSIDE PORK or PAK, **NOT** in the liberated part of J&K.
Need to expose the BeeBeeSee.

Also, why is the govt allowing BeeBeeSee to record there when it is not allowing Indian media? Was all this video shot illegally, in which case BeeBeeSee should have their butts kicked out pronto?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Point is, PLEASE compare to this video from Soura. It is from March 2018. My feeling is that BBC patched parts of this into others from Pakistan to make the latest "Soura protest".

https://www.greaterkashmir.com/videos/p ... s-funeral/
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

I think all foreign media should be banned entry into these two UTs for the next few months. This should include any other media that have foreign ties.

Foreign SM channels should also be warned if propaganda continues they will be permanently banned in India. We need to show them who is the boss.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

UlanBatori wrote:BBC claims this was the Soura Protest with 10,000,000,000 protestors, and they "witnessed polis opening fire" (but I don't see that in the video).

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/49306816/ar ... s-happened

Need some BRF-quality analysis. I wonder how they were able to go out and sit so nicely in a ground, when the place was under 144CrPC except to go to mosque and bray. Also, see the video shot over the shoulder of the Yeller. That guy would have been rushed out of there by any competent Polis, hain? So I think this whole thing is fishy. The flags shown are Pakistani, so the ones holding those should now be breaking rocks in Arunachal or buried already. It looks like video shot INSIDE PORK or PAK, **NOT** in the liberated part of J&K.
Need to expose the BeeBeeSee.

Also, why is the govt allowing BeeBeeSee to record there when it is not allowing Indian media? Was all this video shot illegally, in which case BeeBeeSee should have their butts kicked out pronto?
The MHA did call out 'sections' of the media for portraying BS, the BBC stood by their footage. In all likelihood, they did capture a protest in South Kashmir with a couple of hundred people that were incited in a mosque - upto a few hundred people within a congregation were allowed for namaz yesterday. Aditya Raj Kaul did report from the valley today that certain Ullema's were inciting the youth who had no idea what they were protesting.

https://twitter.com/AdityaRajKaul/statu ... 37953?s=20

Also, far away from the lands of Ulan Bator, one pragmatic Pak journalist called out the hypocrisy of Pak govt. Said BBC and WaPo along with local media allowed in the valley, however in PoK journos have to obtain a permit, escorted by the army. TBH, no one could care less what the Beeb reports, a year or two from now (if) and when normalcy returns, people will praise the way the govt went about doing it's business.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Williamsji: No such extreme step is needed, just some refined Maharajah-class hospitality. We have been on this before: Just that when BBC Chief comes to Dilli her baggage accidentally gets routed to Buenos Aires. By ship. Uber gets the wrong GPS coordinates. Hotel misplaces reservations and is "full up" but has sleeping space in the basement with a few rats for company. Pure Bottled Water from Perrier just happens to have 1 or 2 e-coli thrown in. Toilet bowl overflows in hotel room. Also the one in the room directly over her clothes rack.

After a while they will get the message.
M_Joshi
BRFite

Post by M_Joshi »

kittoo wrote:I still feel apprehensive about what happens at SC. Some say the move was legal, some say no. Obviously its also tainted by everyone's biases. What are the chances of SC scrapping the move?
As per Article 370 itself, it could only be amended by J&K Constituent Assembly (not Legislative Assembly) which was disbanded by Banditji in 1957 onlee. So how to repeal 370 onlee. That's why Abdulahs & Bibi Mehboobaa were so sure Modi couldn't repeal 370 (10 Modis cannot change 370; 370 will remain even after 100 years et al)

When Governor's rule was there in J&K after the fall of BJP-PDP govt, GoI went to SC that, milords SC-STs of J&K cannot get benefits like other SC STs of India, bliss to do something. SC in all it's glory to help SC - STs asked GoI what options were available. Cunning Baniya Modi said since J&K legislative assembly is not there, powers be given to Governer to bring this law in the form of constituent assembly. Maaibaap said yes, Modi laughed slyly & nobody got to know anything then. Come 5th Aug 2019, Governer (i.e. J&K's constituent assembly as power bestowed by maaibaaps themselves) recommended to President of India to repeal 370 & that is why in Rajya Sabha the 1st bill presented with bifurcation of J&K was J&K Reservation Bill 2019.

That's why Amitbhai Shah dared opposition in the Rajya Sabha to take up the legal challenge. What will milords of SC do when they themselves gave powers of constituent assembly to the governor?
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

If Modiji pulls this off, and I am sure he will. i.e. if Cashmere flourishes, it is conceivable that POK citizens will want to merge with Kashmir/India. We need to get the Kashmir situation under control and then ask the Kashmiris to themselves push for akhand bharat. That would be really ironic.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

M_Joshi wrote:
As per Article 370 itself, it could only be amended by J&K Constituent Assembly (not Legislative Assembly) which was disbanded by Banditji in 1957 onlee. So how to repeal 370 onlee. That's why Abdulahs & Bibi Mehboobaa were so sure Modi couldn't repeal 370 (10 Modis cannot change 370; 370 will remain even after 100 years et al)

That's why Amitbhai Shah dared opposition in the Rajya Sabha to take up the legal challenge. What will milords of SC do when they themselves gave powers of constituent assembly to the governor?
Great summary of a truly Chankian game played by Modi/Shah.

Not only that the milords themselves gave the powers to the governor, but if they try to back off from that now, it will be portrayed by the govt. as an anti-SC-ST or anti-Dalit move. Checkmate!!!

In chess, we never get to see the Shah (king) himself delivering the killing blow, since the king has to maintain his distance from the opponent's king. But here, the Shah-mat (tr. - "the king is dead" - the original term from which "check-mate" is derived) was delivered by the (Amit) Shah himself.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

M_Joshi wrote:
All clauses under Article 370 are temporary. That is, it gives a cover for the constituent assembly of the acceding state to resolve its unwritten/written constitution with the Indian republic's one. Once the acceding state constitution becomes sub-set of Indian constitution article 370 ceases to exist for that state.

In case of J&K dissolving its constituent assembly without any recommendation, it follows that the Indian constitution applies and hence article 370 should have been declared null and void at the same moment.

This legal technicality was not argued and then Banditji put in additional amendments that kind of perpetuated article 370. It was in our minds that article 370 cannot be annulled. It can be. And it was.

SC can go suck thumb. In fact SC has refused to take this up as a priority. It cannot perpetuate injustice in the guise of a perpetuating justice.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

NYT has put out a hit job of what is going on J&K, not sure how accurate this is, for copyright reasons, only posting excerpts:
A sense of coiled menace hung over the locked-down city and the wider region on Saturday, a day after a huge protest erupted into clashes between Kashmiris and Indian security forces.

The New York Times gained one of the first inside views by a news organization of life under lockdown in Kashmir and found a population that felt besieged, confused, frightened and furious by the seismic events of this week.

People who ventured out said they had to beg officers to cross a landscape of sandbags, battered trucks and soldiers staring at them through metal face masks. Several residents said they had been beaten up by security forces for simply trying to buy necessities like milk.

On Friday afternoon, witnesses said tens of thousands of peaceful demonstrators were moving through the streets of Srinagar, chanting freedom slogans and waving Kashmiri flags, when Indian forces opened fire.

The huge crowd panicked and scattered. Sustained bursts of automatic weapon fire could be heard in videos filmed during the protest, and at least seven people were wounded, hospital officials said, some sprayed by buckshot in the eyes.

In the valley, nearly all of about 50 Kashmiris interviewed said they expected India’s actions to increase the sense of alienation and in turn feed the rebellion.

Elders in several rural areas reported that dozens of young men had already disappeared from their communities, often a telltale sign of joining the insurgency.

Officials in New Delhi circulated photos on Saturday that showed open fruit markets and crowded streets, saying the valley was returning to normal. But security personnel in Kashmir said large protests kept erupting, including on Saturday.

“At any point day or night,” said Ravi Kant, a soldier based in the town of Baramulla, “whenever they get a chance, mobs of a dozen, two dozen, even more, sometimes with a lot of women, come out, pelt stones at us and run away.”

“People are so angry,” he added. “They are unrelenting and not scared.”

Tens of thousands of troops from the Indian Army, the Central Reserve Police Force (a paramilitary unit) and the Kashmiri State police have been deployed in just about every corner of the valley. In some villages, even remote ones, a soldier was posted outside the gate of each family’s home.

At the Lala Ded hospital, sick people had traveled more than a day to get here, only to find a skeleton crew. Many doctors couldn’t get to work. Many patients were curled up on the floor.

“It’s a living hell here,” said Jamila, a doctor who goes by one name.

Kashmiris said that of all the crackdowns they have lived through, this was the worst. A spokeswoman for India’s home ministry said Saturday she would answer questions about the complaints but had yet to provide a response.

Since the 1990s, Kashmir’s insurgency has steadily dwindled. A few hundred young rebels roam the valley, poorly trained and outnumbered by an Indian force nearly 1,000 to one. But still, the Indians can’t stomp them out.

As a car carrying a reporter slowed down to approach him, he sprang up and jogged to the window.

“We are ready to pick up guns,” he said, unprompted.

He then glanced at a pack of soldiers across the street and walked away.
IMO - IF this is accurate, this means in the short term things could get tough, but now that there is no article 370 or 35A, it will eventually get pacified as have all other insurgencies.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The 370 thread has been locked, so posting here.

Kashmiri Pandits Condemn Abrogation of Article 370 in Petition

Not that it matters.
Sixty-four citizens comprising Kashmiri Pandits, Dogras and Sikhs have stated that they “unequivocally condemn the abrogation of Article 370,” and have made a call for “an immediate lifting of the state of siege” in the Valley.

Terming themselves “the stateless state-subjects of the, now, erstwhile state of Jammu & Kashmir” prominent personalities including Air Vice Marshal (retd) Kapil Kak, theatre and film actor MK Raina, cardiologist Upendra Kaul, senior journalists Sharda Ugra, Pradeep Magazine and Anuradha Bhasin among others have signed this petition.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What is the burr up THEIR butts? Retired Air Vice Marshal? Sorry to see this on BRF. Elsewhere I see that "Radical Sikhs" meaning the Khalistan terrorist sh1ts who downed Air India's Emperor Kanishka with 329 innocents aboard, are now asking for US Intervention. Yeah, there needs to be US intervention: Guano Bay Is Ready When U R.

The Air Vice Marshal didn't get there by not being an INDIAN citizen, did he? What kind of cra* is this "stateless" statement? Can't he be put on Court Martial?
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Sharda Ugra (of Cricinfo) always displayed a virulent anti-India streak in her reporting/editorials. Now it all adds up. She belongs to the looney left fringe.
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

M_Joshi wrote: When Governor's rule was there in J&K after the fall of BJP-PDP govt, GoI went to SC that, milords SC-STs of J&K cannot get benefits like other SC STs of India, bliss to do something. SC in all it's glory to help SC - STs asked GoI what options were available. Cunning Baniya Modi said since J&K legislative assembly is not there, powers be given to Governer to bring this law in the form of constituent assembly. Maaibaap said yes, Modi laughed slyly & nobody got to know anything then. Come 5th Aug 2019, Governer (i.e. J&K's constituent assembly as power bestowed by maaibaaps themselves) recommended to President of India to repeal 370 & that is why in Rajya Sabha the 1st bill presented with bifurcation of J&K was J&K Reservation Bill 2019.

I think that case is still pending. Petitioners seek early hearing in Supreme Court on Article 35A

GoI went ahead and issued an ordinance on SC/ST reservations applicable to J&K. This was termed unconstitutional by some saying that the governor did not have a council of ministers as the state was under president's rule.

However, article 356(1) provides a solution:
Constitutionality of the Jammu & Kashmir Reservation Ordinance: A rebuttal
As per the author, the Constitution (Application to Jammu & Kashmir) Amendment Order, 2019 is unconstitutional as the Governor applied it to the State without the aid and advice of the Council of Ministers—which at the relevant time had already resigned from office. He concludes that the Governor was legally precluded from giving his concurrence to the consultation under Article 370 (1)(d) to the Constitution (Application to Jammu & Kashmir) Amendment Order, 2019, as there was no Council of Ministers in the State.

The above argument suffers from several infirmities. Under Article 356(1) of the Constitution of India as applicable to Jammu & Kashmir, the President by a proclamation can assume to himself all or any of the functions of the Government of the State and all or any of the powers vested in or exercisable by the Governor or any body or authority in the State other than the Legislature of the State. Put simply, Article 356(1) (a) empowers the President to step into the shoes of the Governor of Jammu & Kashmir and exercise his all his powers once President’s Rule has been invoked under Article 356(1).

Now, one of the powers conferred upon the Governor of Jammu & Kashmir under Article 370 is to give his concurrence or consultation for extending the provisions of the Indian Constitution to the State of Jammu & Kashmir. As such, once the President has issued a proclamation under Article 356(1) of the Constitution, he is automatically entitled to assume Governor’s power under Article 370(1)(d) and take any further action based on the aid and advice of the Union Council of Ministers.
This assumption of the Governor’s power - who acts on the aid and advise of the State Council of Ministers - by the President acting on the aid and advice of the Council of Minister, once a proclamation has been issued under Article 356(1) has been affirmed by the Supreme Court in State Of Rajasthan & Ors. v. Union Of India AIR 1977 SC 1361 where the Court while relying upon the powers under Article 356(1)(a) ruled as follows:

"Article 174(2) (b) of the Constitution expressly vests the power of dissolving the legislative assembly in the Governor even if that had to be on the advice of the Council of Ministers in the State, but the power to give such advice would automatically, be taken over by the Union Government for the purposes of dissolution of the State Assembly when the President assumes governmental powers by a proclamation under Article 356(1) of the Constitution. A dissolution by the President after the proclamation would be as good as a dissolution by the Governor of a State whose powers; are taken over."

The aforesaid observation, although given in a different context, applies with equal force to the powers of the Governor under Article 370(1)(d) as Article 356(1) of the Constitution does not except those powers from assumption by the President.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Pappu :(( , Polis says pipe down
Reports Of Violence In Jammu and Kashmir, Centre Must Come Clean, Says Rahul Gandhi
The Jammu and Kashmir police sent out a tweet soon afterwards, asking people to not believe "fabricated and motivated" news.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

RT yesterday had interview with paki high commissioner to uk in its 'going underground' program. They seem to be in a diplomatic overdrive on this. prospects of kashmir slipping out of their hands and their only reason for existence has clearly rattled them.