Ladakh Union Territory- 2019

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Opening per ramana sir's request.

Continuing from the previous J&K State thread: viewtopic.php?p=2370691#p2370691

Will add some introductory content in the evening, please fill in the meantime if anyone else has the time.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Re: Ladakh Union Territory- 2019

Post by arshyam »

deleted. will find a better map.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The most interesting thing about Ladakh UT is what Modi mentioned in his speech - that while J&K has an intended path back to statehood, Ladakh will remain a UT. It’s clear the intent is that center will continue to control Ladakh.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://thelogicalindian.com/news/ladak ... ry-status/
Ladakh Rejoices As It Gets Union Territory Status, No Legislature A Concern
Arjun Sharma Jammu and Kashmir, August 6th, 2019
Leh, Jammu and Kashmir: “This is the best gift given by the central government to the people of Ladakh who always had to take the burden of Kashmir’s hegemony,” said Member of Parliament from Ladakh Jamyang Tsering Namgyal amid huge applause in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.
Just after Union Home Minister Amit Shah declared the removal of Article 370 and decided to grant a Union Territory (UT) status to the region on Monday, celebrations and congratulatory messages started and went on till Tuesday in Ladakh. Residents of Ladakh were promised the UT status by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 2014 before the parliamentary polls. However, their wish wasn’t fulfilled. In 2019, Ladakhis trusted the BJP again and after a long wait, the inhabitants of the arid region received what they were promised.
In 2018, former BJP MP from Ladakh Thupstan Chhewang had resigned citing that the UT status was the demand of people since long and the party was not able to meet it. The issue created uproar in the region with people vowing to vote against the BJP in 2019. However, after the local and national BJP leadership intervened, the BJP candidate Jamyang Tsering Namgyal won the 2019 polls by a huge margin.
Apart from the UT status, Ladakhis were also overjoyed by the revoking of Article 370, which was considered discriminatory by the residents of Jammu and Ladakh. MP Namgyal said Ladakh wanted to get separated from Kashmir for more than 30 years due to the discrimination faced by the locals.
In February, Ladakh was granted divisional status with a separate divisional commissioner, Inspector General of Police and division level offices. However, Ladakhis had intensified the agitation and started demonstrations demanding UT status.
In 2016, at least 40 delegations, including representatives of political, religious and social organizations had met with the former Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh during his visit to Leh.
‘Away from violent Kashmir’
Tashi Wangail, a travel agent in Leh district, said that Kashmir-based political parties including Peoples Democratic Party and National Conference had always given step-motherly treatment to Ladakh with regards to development and employment of youth. “With our own UT and power in our hands, we will not be required to look at others for financial assistance. Ladakh is already a popular tourist place, and it will become an exotic destination for tourists from around the world as we are not a part of violent Kashmir anymore,” he said.
Gautam
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Posting this video for posterity!

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Ladkah has small population over a very large area
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Watching Shri Namgyal brought into my mind two mallu quips, translated as follows:

1. This IS MP. An MP should be this.
2. It is when I see this guy that I feel to chuck my own MP into the well.

What a guy!!
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Nice map of J&K! I was just wondering, in that bottom south-east section bordering Tibet/China, is that all under Indian administration? I recall seeing some maps with a small section being shown as Chinese territory.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

For Ladakh, there are already plans of massive solar power plants given the barren land, they can extend it to cold storage facilities for Food Corporation of India as temperatures are already low, any food surplus produced across India can be stored there. Probably closer to the new rail line being built between delhi-manali-leh

if captive power power plants exist, they can use it to lift water from IWT rivers ala Kaleshwaram project in Telangana, better use than losing power to grid losses
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.news18.com/news/world/sri-l ... 64209.html
Sri Lankan Buddhist Leaders Hail India's Decision on Ladakh, Say it Will Take Ties Between Countries to a 'Higher Plane'
The remarks came after India revoked the special status of Jammu and Kashmir by modifying Article 370, and decided to bifurcate the state into two union territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
August 9, 2019.
India’s decision of separating Ladakh, a majority Buddhist population region from Jammu and Kashmir by bifurcating the state into two union territories, was hailed by Sri Lanka’s high-ranking and most revered Buddhist monks, the Mahanayake Theras of the Malwatte and Asgiriya Chapters of the Siyam Nikaya, in a statement issued Thursday.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-l ... he-2779409
'Ladakh will be the first Indian state with Buddhist majority': Sri Lankan PM Ranil Wickremesinghe
Sri Lankan PM says Ladakh is worth a visit.
Aug 6, 2019.
In a somewhat unexpected reaction, Sri Lankan PM Ranil Wickramasinghe has hailed the formation of Ladakh, which has been carved out as a Union Territory after the bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir post revocation of Article 370. Wickramasinghe, PM of Buddhist majority Sri Lanka pointed out that Ladakh will be the first Buddhist majority state of India.
He tweeted:
Ladakh will become an Indian State. With 70% of Ladakh’s population being Buddhist it will be the first Indian state with a Buddhist majority. Creation of Ladakh and consequential restructuring is India’s internal matter, it is a beautiful region well worth a visit.
— Ranil Wickremesinghe, August 6, 2019
Gautam
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Corrected the map. We can't have paki name on BRF! Source attributed to mapsofindia. Posted under fair use principle onlee.

Mukhi
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Ladakh Union Territory- 2019ing to come up

Post by Mukhi »

Suraj wrote:The most interesting thing about Ladakh UT is what Modi mentioned in his speech - that while J&K has an intended path back to statehood, Ladakh will remain a UT. It’s clear the intent is that center will continue to control Ladakh.
I my self was wondering about it and was trying to understand the WHY part of it.

Is Border Settlement with China pogrssing well enough to the point where it seems within reach and hence need to keep control with center? What other possibilities?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Mukhi wrote:
Suraj wrote:The most interesting thing about Ladakh UT is what Modi mentioned in his speech - that while J&K has an intended path back to statehood, Ladakh will remain a UT. It’s clear the intent is that center will continue to control Ladakh.
I my self was wondering about it and was trying to understand the WHY part of it.

Is Border Settlement with China pogrssing well enough to the point where it seems within reach and hence need to keep control with center? What other possibilities?
Depends on China. The question is has China agreed to retreat from that portion of Ladhak that they grabbed?

(The home Minister of India did say that when he says J&K it means ALL of J&K. Nothing to negotiate there.)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

NRao wrote:(The home Minister of India did say that when he says J&K it means ALL of J&K. Nothing to negotiate there.)
He specifically included Aksai Chin also in that statement.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

arshyam wrote:
NRao wrote:(The home Minister of India did say that when he says J&K it means ALL of J&K. Nothing to negotiate there.)
He specifically included Aksai Chin also in that statement.
And, "PoK". Just to be clear.

OT, I am surprised he did not include Lahore. But, I guess we should not overload on mithai. ?????
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

NRao wrote:
arshyam wrote: He specifically included Aksai Chin also in that statement.
And, "PoK". Just to be clear.

OT, I am surprised he did not include Lahore. But, I guess we should not overload on mithai. ?????
Lahore ?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Karthik S wrote: Lahore ?
IIRC, Lahore had slightly more than 50% Hindu population at the time of partition. As for China, it is highly unlikely they will let go of Aksai Chin or Sakshagam Valley. Both parts are very strategic due to Karakoram Highway as well as CPEC.

What would they get in return for those two? Would India stop supporting Dalai Lama? We would endorse China on its claim to Taiwan and stand with them in the UN? The latter would require a larger payback for India - something like Aksai Chin, Manasarovar, and Kailash. If we cut Dalai Lama loose, then we need China to decrease their meddling in Nepal at least.

That said, what is there in it for China to change the status quo at this point?!!!
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

Making Ladakh as union territory is the best thing Modi sarkar has done. Ladaki people deserve this. I wish congress govt in 1950s had done that. Ladaki people have suffered under kashmiri muslim rule for 70 years. Muslim rulers make life hell for kafirs specially hindus and buddhists. I am sure in the decades to come Ladakh under direct Delhi rule will prosper. Cheers.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

1) everybody states maximal positions in statements and nobody loses sleep. India wants Aksai Chin, India wants POK, Pakis want J&K etc. all can lay claims but everybody knows whats feasible / possible.2) I think there is a great need to shape a new narrative for J&K. The kashmiris have been brought up on lot of BS. I met a kashmir family in 2017 staying in the house of ex lama at Choglamsar ( 8 km from Leh). we had a little talk. He denies pathans raided KAshmir ,that there was rape/plunder most notably in Baramulla. He said UN plebiscite hona chaiye. I said have u read UN resolutions, he said NO. I said pakistan has to vacate POK, allow indian forces in POK and then plebiscite can happen. He said thats not true. He has been told my imam sahib about UN plebiscite. I said do u think Imam sahib has read UN resolutions? I said do u know Pakistan has settled in POK to alter demography? has given part of princely state of J&K to china. he said no way this has happened.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Karthik S wrote: Lahore ?
IIRC, Lahore had slightly more than 50% Hindu population at the time of partition. As for China, it is highly unlikely they will let go of Aksai Chin or Sakshagam Valley. Both parts are very strategic due to Karakoram Highway as well as CPEC.

What would they get in return for those two? Would India stop supporting Dalai Lama? We would endorse China on its claim to Taiwan and stand with them in the UN? The latter would require a larger payback for India - something like Aksai Chin, Manasarovar, and Kailash. If we cut Dalai Lama loose, then we need China to decrease their meddling in Nepal at least.

That said, what is there in it for China to change the status quo at this point?!!!
In 1947, The choice was to pick either Calcutta or Lahore! and Mr. Nehru picked Calcutta!
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

SBajwa wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:

In 1947, The choice was to pick either Calcutta or Lahore! and Mr. Nehru picked Calcutta!
But....didnt calcutta have much more than 50% Hindu majority? Then how was that even in contention? We shoulve asked for both, fair and square.
Ive heard that there was a choice given between Lahore and Amritsar though, as both had around 50-50 split. True?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

SBajwa wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:

SBajwa sir, do you know why bandit was anti PJ? I mean majority who voted for 2TN were from BH and UP, but country was sliced in 'greater punjab'. I was told by a colleague that bandit held some grudge against PJ.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Ladakh being a Union Territory should mean that many defense related infrastructure projects should be expedited. Plus, if you remember, Indian Army was suffering because of lack of firing ranges in Kashmir and Ladakh. The state government hadn't renewed the lease and permission.

I'm hoping that all these will now be taken care of now with GOI in driver's seat.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Lahore city had a Hindu-Sikh majority but Lahore district had a M majority.

In Ladakh there will be a build-up but nothing will happen soon until Mission Kashmir on the Pak front is complete. The time for Aksai Chin has not come.
LakshmanPST
BRFite

Post by LakshmanPST »

Dileep wrote:Corrected the map. We can't have paki name on BRF! Source attributed to mapsofindia. Posted under fair use principle onlee.

Isn't the new divided map of erstwhile J&K state wrong, when it comes to inclusion of areas that are currently not in our control...?
Technically, Gilgit & Baltistan area of POK and Shaksgam Valley should be included as part of Ladakh UT... As of now, only Aksai Chin is included in Ladakh UT... All these areas form the higher elevation Karakoram mountains...
Only, so called, Azad Kashmir area of POK is technically part of Jammu and only it should be included in J&K UT...

But most of the maps I'm seeing online are including entire POK & Shaksgam Valley in J&K...
I understand that it doesn't matter for now since these areas are currently not in our control... But I feel ppl should be made aware of the geographical & cultural differences of the region by the Govt....
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Great primer on the border areas, strategic points,names and their history between India, Pakistan and China. Although known to many here on BRF, nevertheless is is a good recap. By Shekhar Gupta.

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/pak ... 80946.html
Pakistan deploying fighter jets to Skardu near Ladakh, India watching closely
12 Aug 2019, 05:58 PM IST
Ajit K Dubey , ANI
The Indian intelligence agencies along with the Air Force and Army are keeping a close watch on the movement of the Pakistani Air Force
The Pakistanis use an older version of the C-130 transport aircraft supplied by the Americans a long time ago
NEW DELHI: Amid the ongoing tensions with Pakistan over the abrogation of the Article 370, Pakistani forces have started moving equipment to their forward bases close to Ladakh.
"Three C-130 transport aircraft of the Pakistan Air Force were used on Saturday to ferry equipment to their Skardu air base opposite the Union Territory of Ladakh. The Indian agencies concerned are keeping a close eye on the movement of Pakistanis along the border areas," government sources told ANI.
Sources said the equipment moved to the forward operating base could be support equipment for fighter aircraft operations.
Pakistanis are most likely to move in their JF-17 fighter planes to the Skardu air field, they said.
Gautam
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Bhell .. if one looks at some commentary/TV shows out of bakistan one gets the impression that they are spooked by the thought that Modi is going to make a play for Gilgit/Baltisthan next. I had also suggested that GOI might make a play for a portion of CPEC nearest to the LOC instead to the whole GB.

This might be a precautionary step too in the above context.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://zeenews.india.com/india/article ... 27521.html
INDEPENDENCE DAY
Article 370 degraded our culture and language: Ladakh MP Jamyang Namgyal
Namgyal, 34, is one of BJP`s key voices in the Ladakh region.
Ritesh K Srivastava, Aug 15, 2019.
Ladakh: Member of Parliament from Ladakh, Jamyang Tsering Namgyal, whose speech in the Lok Sabha was widely lauded by BJP members, on Thursday said that Article 370 that accorded special status to the region had degraded the "Ladakhi culture" and never recognised their language.
In his speech, Namgyal clearly stated that through abrogation of Article 370, the mistakes made by India`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru will be rectified by Narendra Modi-led BJP government. Namgyal, 34, is one of BJP`s key voices in the Ladakh region. He has grown ranks within the party as he was an active student leader with associations to the Bharatiya Jan Yuva Morcha (BJYM) as well as All Ladakh Student Association.
"In 1948, Buddhist Association of Ladakh had requested Nehru not to merge Ladakh with Jammu and Kashmir, but Nehru did not listen to our request. Thus, Ladakh became a part of the Valley, and was ruled from Srinagar," Namgyal said.
He told the lower house that the people of Ladakh have been neglected for the last seven decades."The people of Ladakh have been demanding and fighting for the status of Union Territory for the last 71 years. All political parties of Ladakh wanted the UT status," the parliamentarian added." Ladakhis have sacrificed their lives for India in all the wars - 1948, 1962, 1965, 1971 and in 1999, yet there was equality in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni reached Ladakh on Wednesday where he received a warm reception from the Army personnel and interacted with them. The 38-year-old joined the 106 TA Battalion (Para) in Jammu and Kashmir on July 30.
Ladakh: Former India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who is currently serving in the Indian Army as an honorary Lieutenant Colonel with the 106 TA Battalion (Para), is in Ladakh where he brought in India's 73rd Independence Day with the masses of the newly formed union territory. On August 5, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's central government abrograted provisions of Article 370 and Article 35A of the Indian Constitution which granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir and bifurcated the state into two union territories -- union territory of Jammu & Kashmir and union territory of Ladakh.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Is this not having Article 370 in another form? Does "protection" mean keeping them separate and backward? Serious investment will come only if industries are allowed to come in. That will happen only if people are also able to settle. None of the industrialized states of India is populated by a 98% majority.
https://www.timesnownews.com/india/arti ... yal/470991
Appeal to Centre for tribal-area status for Ladakh to protect land, identity: Jamyang Tsering NamgyalIndia
Ladakh, Aug 18, 2019
Ladakh MP Jamyang Tsering Namgyal has urged Centre for tribal-area status saying that the region is a predominantly tribal area with tribals making up to 98 per cent of its population.
Prominent leaders of Ladakh have made a fervent appeal to the Centre to declare the region a tribal area under the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution, saying the biggest concern for its people is to protect their land and identity.
Though locals have welcomed the Centre's decision to revoke Article 370 and make Ladakh a Union territory, they fear the influx of outsiders would lead to a change in the region's demography, jeopardize their culture and identity.
In a memorandum to Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda, Ladakh MP Jamyang Tsering Namgyal said the region is a predominantly tribal area with tribals making up to 98 per cent of its population.
"After the Centre announced its decision to make Ladakh a Union Territory, the biggest concern of the tribal population here is to protect their identity, culture, land, and economy," the BJP MP said at the launch of a nine-day Aadi Mahotsav here on Saturday.
Namgyal appealed to Munda to declare it a tribal area under the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution to protect the interests of its people.
Based on Articles 244(2) and 275(1), the Sixth Schedule provides for the administration of tribal areas in the states of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, and Mizoram after setting up the autonomous district and regional councils.
"I appeal to you to make a representation to Home Minister Amit Shah on our behalf to protect the demography and culture of Ladakh," Namgyal said.
Gautam
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Okay in a few hours .. as title of this dhaga says.. Ladakh is officially a Union Territory!
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the J & K Union Territory Thread

From midnight, J&K will cease to be a state; two new UTs to come into existence - PTI

HIGHLIGHTS

- This is for the first time that a state is converted into two UTs even though there are numerous example of a UT becoming a full state or a state bifurcating into two states.

- The total number of states in the country will be now 28 while the total UTs will go up to seven

NEW DELHI: History will be created on Thursday when Jammu and Kashmir, which has been part of the Union of India since 1947, will cease to be a state and will be bifurcated into two Union Territories.

IAS officers Girish Chandra Murmu and R K Mathur , who have been appointed the new Lieutenant Governors (LG) for the Union territories (UTs) of Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh respectively, will be sworn-in at separate functions to be held in Srinagar and Leh on Thursday.

Both Murmu and Mathur will be sworn in by Chief Justice of J&K High Court Gita Mittal.

According to the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019, the appointed day for the two UTs is October 31 and these will come into existence in the midnight (Wednesday-Thursday), nearly three months after the announcement in Rajya Sabha

This is for the first time that a state is converted into two UTs even though there are numerous example of a UT becoming a full state or a state bifurcating into two states.

The total number of states in the country will be now 28 while the total UTs will go up to seven.

The Narendra Modi government's decision and subsequent approval of Parliament to abrogate the special status given to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 and its bifurcation into two UTs was taken to redraw the map and future of a region at the centre of a protracted militancy movement.

The electoral promise of the BJP to end the special status of Jammu and Kashmir came less than 90 days after the Modi 2.0 government assumed power in May end.

The August 5 decision was taken 72 years after the then ruler of the princely state, Maharaja Hari Singh, executed the Instrument of Accession on October 26, 1947, making it part of the Union of India.

The two UTs will come into existence on the day of the birth anniversary of country's first home minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who is credited for merger of over 560 states into the Union of India.

October 31 is observed as the National Unity Day and both Modi and home minister Amit Shah on Thursday will attend separate functions — in Kevadia (Gujarat) and New Delhi respectively.

According to the Act, the UT of Jammu and Kashmir will have a legislature like Puducherry while Ladakh will be a UT without legislature like Chandigarh and both the UTs will be headed by two separate Lieutenant Governors (LG).

The Centre will be in direct control of the police and the law and order in Jammu and Kashmir from Thursday when it becomes a UT, while the land will be under the elected government there.

The UT of Ladakh will be under the direct control of the central government which will administer the high altitude region through the LG.

While moving the resolution in the Rajya Sabha that Article 370 — which allowed Jammu and Kashmir to have its own Constitution and prohibited outsiders from buying land and property in the state, Shah had said these provisions will no longer be applicable and the central government will restore its statehood at "appropriate time" and after "normalcy" returns.

"The government will not allow the situation to turn into another battle torn Kosovo... It was heaven on earth and will remain so," Shah had said, referring to the decades-old militancy in Jammu and Kashmir.

Soon after the abrogation of the Article 370, several hundred political leaders and separatists were put under detention by the Jammu and Kashmir administration while restrictions were also imposed on movement of people, vehicles, telephone, mobile phones and internet.

While most of the restrictions were removed since then, curb on internet is still continuing and situation in the Kashmir Valley is yet to be termed as complete normal.

Among those put under detention include three former chief ministersFarooq Abdullah, Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti.

The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 says the all India Services like the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and the Indian Police Service (IPS), of J-K cadre will continue to serve in the two succeeding UTs while new recruits of these services will be allocated in the Arunachal, Goa, Mizoram Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre.

The provincial service officers will continue serving in their current positions till a new order is issued by the Lt Governors for the two new UTs of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.

The IAS, IPS and other central service officers and the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) will be under the control of the LG and not the elected government of the UT of Jammu and Kashmir.

Mehbooba was the last chief minister of undivided Jammu and Kashmir whose tenure ended in June 2017 when central rule was imposed there after her coalition partner BJP withdrew support. Satya Pal Malik is the last governor whose tenure comes to an end on Wednesday. He has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Goa.

Just a day before Jammu and Kashmir is divided into two UTs, the National Conference on Wednesday made a fervent last minute appeal to the Centre to shelve the plan and maintain the statehood of the "200-year-old state" dubbed as "crown of India".

Cheers Image
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

NRao wrote:OT, I am surprised he did not include Lahore. But, I guess we should not overload on mithai. ?????
Don't overload my heart either. Gave me quite a scare there. Isn't Shrilleen from LaHore? BB was from there too? I think Lahore should be preserved as Pakjabi for when the Pakhtoonistani and Gilgit Tribesmen come down to get their revenge. Most Genocide-Deserving City in the dunia.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

LakshmanPST wrote:Technically, Gilgit & Baltistan area of POK and Shaksgam Valley should be included as part of Ladakh UT...
Gilgit wazarat under Dogra rule never included Baltistan. Gilgit was not part of Ladakh wazarat.

Ladakh wazarat comprised Baltistan, Aksai Chin and present Ladakh.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I didn't know (MANY other things too) that Kargil is in Ladakh, not Cash More. Kargil town is heavily One Community, is it not?
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

UlanBatori wrote:I didn't know (MANY other things too) that Kargil is in Ladakh, not Cash More. Kargil town is heavily One Community, is it not?
Yes, but majority shia.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

It is. Shia, just like the Baltis. The Baltis are ethnic Tibetan.

Interesting how J+K came to be. Conquest, purchase etc. bringing together regions Jammu Province, Gilgit wazarat, Ladakh wazarat, Kashmir valley) with nothing in common with each other. Lots of minor rulers (wazirs etc) all vassals to the Dogra Maharaja, himself elevated to that position and vassal to the British King Emperor.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Point is, since Mongolian conquests, this is the first time Ladakhis are getting to rule themselves, isn't it? Or at least be able to practice Buddhism without too much harassment. This may be the true depth of their happiness.
They got detached from Tibet a long time back, I suppose. Wrong side of the mountains. Which is fortunate because the Han now occupy the other side.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Yep. And developmental resources from the centre will no longer be stolen by the parasitic netas of the valley. There are almost 90,000 personnel in the ITBP to protect their way of life and, along with XVI Corps, keep the Han at bay.