Terroristan - November 11, 2019

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Pakistani PM Imran Khan faces disqualification threat - Web Desk

In a new development, Pakistani PM Imran Khan faces disqualification threats, Media Report has revealed.

A petition has been filed in a Pakistani court seeking disqualification of Prime Minister Imran Khan for his “anti-judiciary” remarks on the departure of his political rival and former premier Nawaz Sharif to London for treatment.

Tahir Maqsood, a Pakistani citizen, filed the petition in the Lahore High Court on Saturday, seeking contempt of court proceedings against Khan for bringing the judiciary into disrepute.

The petitioner said the prime minister criticised senior judges of the Supreme Court which amounts to contempt of court.

He said the Supreme Court in 2013 had already issued a contempt notice to Khan for his anti-judiciary rants.

Referring conviction of PML-N leaders Talal Chaudhry and Nehal Hashmi by the Supreme Court for their anti-judiciary speeches, the petitioner requested the court to summon Khan in person, disqualify him and order the Election Commission to de-notify him as member of the National Assembly.

Khan recently criticized the Lahore High Court for overruling his government’s condition for 69-year-old Sharif to submit a Rs 700 crore indemnity bond for permission to fly abroad for treatment and asked Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa and his successor to “restore the public’s trust in the judiciary.”

His remarks did not go down well with the chief justice, who said the prime minister should refrain from issuing such statements as he is the chief executive of the government.

“Do not taunt us regarding the powerful,” the chief justice said, adding that everyone is equal before the law.

“I do not want to comment on the particular case of Nawaz Sharif, which the prime minister had referred to but he (the prime minister) will be aware that he himself gave Nawaz permission to go abroad. The premier should refrain from making such statements…Don’t compare us with the judiciary which had existed before 2009,” Khosa said.

Khan in a public address cast a doubt over the veracity of medical reports on the health Sharif, saying he was shocked to see the way Sharif ran up the stairs of the air ambulance.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Cheers Image
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: Terroristan - November 11, 2019

Post by UlanBatori »

Look on the bright side: They did **NOT** lose by 2 innings! They Fought Bak by scoring more than 0 runs in the second innings, after their 96 all-out in the first innings, followed by Warner slamming 300+ not out.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Grappling with Pakistan's 'influence operations': When the patriarchy moves in to silence a female critic
By C Christine Fair
For some 10 years, I have relentlessly exposed Pakistan's influence operations against American scholars, analysts, journalists and the institutions that employ them and rely upon their ability to raise funds to support the organisations' overhead costs and salaries. Through this basic economic necessity, most of the think-tanks in Washington, DC and the writers who focus on South Asia have been coopted by Pakistan's influence operations because these individuals have generally positioned themselves as Pakistan-whisperers to private and public funders.

This renders them dependent on Pakistani visas and access to officials in and out of uniform. The result is chilling: Analysts who know better — or ought to know better — self-censor to retain this access. In the process, they have become witting or unwitting assets to Pakistan. In response to my most recent criticism, two white men who are considerably senior to me, have turned to the popular tactic of appealing to my employer in an effort to silence me. Two senior men appealing to my leadership to discipline my voice or silence me altogether is white maleness in action. It is the patriarchy in action. In doing so, these individuals hope that I will temper my tone.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... uried.html
London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan is buried in Pakistan in his family's home village as those present pray for his sins to be pardoned
Usman Khan's body was flown from London to Islamabad, Pakistan, to be buried
It was then transported to Kashmiri village of Kajlani for the Islamic funeral
Khan murdered two Cambridge graduates before he was shot dead by police
On Tuesday, his family said they 'condemn his actions' in a short statement
By ROD ARDEHALI and SHEKHA BHATIA FOR MAILONLINE, 6 December 2019
London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan was buried tonight as those attending the service prayed that he be pardoned for his sins.
Khan's body was released by the City of London coroner and flown to Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan, by his family. It was then transported to the rural Kashmiri village of Kajlani, which has a community of 3000 people, where he was buried in an Islamic funeral.
As part of the burial traditions and prayers, a plea for a pardon for his sins was made. Officials at Islamabad International Airport confirmed that the 28-year-old's body had been flown out on Thursday afternoon and arrived in Pakistan on Friday morning. Khan attacked five people, killing two Cambridge graduates, while armed with two kitchen knives and wearing a fake suicide vest.
Gautam
Moral of the story: If you go to India, Pak refuses to take your body back and you are buried in a kafir land waiting for the gas of behind to happen. If you go to the West and kill gora, you get to come home and get buried with the family.
jash_p
BRFite

Post by jash_p »

Guys very soon Pakis will be celebrating a day of surrender (sakut - a Dhaka). Congrats pakis!
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

^^ You are wrong. Pakis did not lose. It was Bangladesh which lost the war in 1971.
Those 93000 did not surrender. They on the contrary occupied Indian territory by having boots on the ground.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Gerard wrote:Grappling with Pakistan's 'influence operations': When the patriarchy moves in to silence a female critic
By C Christine Fair
For some 10 years, I have relentlessly exposed Pakistan's influence operations against American scholars, analysts, journalists and the institutions that employ them and rely upon their ability to raise funds to support the organisations' overhead costs and salaries. Through this basic economic necessity, most of the think-tanks in Washington, DC and the writers who focus on South Asia have been coopted by Pakistan's influence operations because these individuals have generally positioned themselves as Pakistan-whisperers to private and public funders.

This renders them dependent on Pakistani visas and access to officials in and out of uniform. The result is chilling: Analysts who know better — or ought to know better — self-censor to retain this access. In the process, they have become witting or unwitting assets to Pakistan. In response to my most recent criticism, two white men who are considerably senior to me, have turned to the popular tactic of appealing to my employer in an effort to silence me. Two senior men appealing to my leadership to discipline my voice or silence me altogether is white maleness in action. It is the patriarchy in action. In doing so, these individuals hope that I will temper my tone.
La Fair is welcome to fight her own battles playing the woman card or anything else. We on BRF should not regard her as being on India's side. At best her work is of incidental impact for India.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

KLNMurthy wrote:
La Fair is welcome to fight her own battles playing the woman card or anything else. We on BRF should not regard her as being on India's side. At best her work is of incidental impact for India.
Humbly disagree. Whenever anyone (be it mdme fair or hillary) hits TSP, India shouldn't let the opportunity go, Indians MUST pile on. We must also "wean" over those that we can away from the dark side.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Cain Marko wrote:Humbly disagree. Whenever anyone (be it mdme fair or hillary) hits TSP, India shouldn't let the opportunity go, Indians MUST pile on. We must also "wean" over those that we can away from the dark side.
Some folks tried doing so with Madame Fair, like a chamaleon she was soon back to India and Hindu-baiting.

Pile on if you must, but be careful before getting into a full jhappi mode.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

I know her personally and in my opinion she makes accurate assessments. She is not a hardcore Hindutva type as Indian Internet users expect her to be but so am I.

For example, I dont believe cow urine cures cancer as stated by Pragya Thakur. Its nonsense that Sanskrit is a programming language in supercomputers or 79-99% of NASA is staffed by Indians.

But I do know MAD will revoke Article 370 and implement NRC, which is why I vote for them.

Subtlety is very important in politics, diplomacy and warfare that is totally lost on internet warriors. Ironically subtlety is the essence of Chanakya Niti
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i think CFair's analysis of Pak Army and some other matters is amazing... never heard such cogent stuff from anyone else. the way she demolished a Paki 'foolbright scholar' in one of the utubes was awesome... she is under no obligation to please india on all issues...
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Off topic but check out this Youtube Video of her managing Indian Autowallas. This one was a peaceful Autowalla.

https://youtu.be/DjsMRw_lvVU

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/150703/ ... airs-tunes
Her inspiration is drawn from her mother, who she says was able “to use outlandish humour to defuse a situation” in her life.“My mother was like a real life Durga. She just made things happen no matter what was thrown in front of her,” she adds.
Not every Indian or Hindu is a bhakt and that needs to be respected.

What she has done is expose the Pakistani lobbying in US, and the US Analysts who fed off the Pakistani gravy train. These US Analysts cultivate Indian intellectuals in Delhi.

She speaks the truth about Pakistan and exposes the lies. And she exposes the US establishment analysts and intellectuals feeding off Pakistan.

Watch this video how she blasts Bush, Obama, for keeping the American checkbook open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgijhexkqE
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

tsarkar wrote:Not every Indian or Hindu is a bhakt and that needs to be respected.
What do you mean by that tsarkar ji?
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the Indian Navy News & Discussion Thread

Indian navy & Gulf - Muhammad Ali Siddiqi

IT is unfair to draw lessons from the fate of a bankrupt Egypt in the 19th century and relate it to today’s economically vibrant Gulf states. Nevertheless one can detect a beep on the radar. In 1875, Britain purchased Khedive Ismail’s shares of the Suez Canal Company to become the majority shareholder — it already had its own shares.

The khedive’s reckless modernisation drive had made Egypt go broke. The loans he had secured from European powers, especially Britain and France, enabled the two, especially the former, to interfere in Egypt’s internal matters and tighten their economic stranglehold. The number of Europeans working in Egypt had gone up phenomenally. They were ubiquitous and were resented by Egyptians, especially army officers.

In 1880, there was a row between an Egyptian donkey cart boy and a European, and this led to a riot which killed a large number of people, including Europeans. While France was reluctant to act for reasons which do not concern us here, Britain used the opportunity to occupy Egypt. Thus, the Arab world’s most important country was to remain under British control till 1952 when Gamal Abdel Nasser and Mohammad Neguib overthrew the Albanian dynasty. The reader need not be told the moral of the story: the economic control of a country by a foreign power invariably leads to the former’s enslavement.

Against this background, Pakistan must carefully watch the economic and geopolitical developments in Gulf sheikhdoms and be alert to overt and covert moves that may in the long run affect its security. The people of Pakistan have still not recovered from the shock received from some Arab countries’ reaction to India’s annexation of occupied Kashmir. Saudi Arabia was neutral, but the UAE felt no qualms about calling the Aug 5 annexation decree India’s ‘internal matter’.

Various interpretations have since then been given about why Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan’s government behaved the way it did. One explanation is obvious: trade between the Emirates and India is estimated at $100bn. To this must be added the crucial role Indian expatriates have played and will continue to do so in building the UAE economy and the extraordinary control they have come to exercise over business and finance in the sheikhdom.

The number of Indian nationals — nearly two million — constitutes 27pc of the Emirates’ population of 9.4m. Taken together, all Gulf states have an Indian population of 9m, and let’s be clear that in a given geopolitical turmoil this population could be an extraordinary asset to India to help New Delhi advance its interests.

K.M. Panikkar’s India and the Indian Ocean is a much-quoted book, for it gives a clear indication of what Indian strategists think of their country’s role in relation to Asia and the Middle East. The gist of the thesis is that India must step into British shoes and play the role Britain did in the geographical mass between Aden and Singapore. He argued that the Indian Ocean must “truly remain Indian”.

No wonder the ‘Persian Gulf’ finds repeated mention in the post-Panikkar era. Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee told a military conference in 2003 that India’s “strategic frontiers” had grown beyond South Asia and that India’s “security environment ranges from the Persian Gulf to Straits of Malacca”. Similarly, former Indian navy chief Arun Prakash said India’s “strategic relevance” ranges “from the Persian Gulf to the Strait of Malacca.”

It is doubtful if the Gulf nations are aware of India’s naval ambitions. For reasons of history and geography Arab nations (and Iran) look west and seldom bother about developments in the east. In their worldview, the Pakistan-India relationship is a minor issue — a nuisance — and does not deserve the attention we think it must. Twice this year, the UAE has stunned us. In February, it invited an Indian foreign minister to a conference of Islamic foreign ministers, and it termed the Aug 5 villainy India’s internal matter.

Read : Islamabad apprises OIC of reservation over invite to India

The Asian Arab world has virtually no navy, even though 80pc of oil shipping passes through the Gulf of Hormuz. Pakistan has a vital interest in this crucial sea lane, and it is exactly for this reason that Gwadar port is an eyesore for many governments hostile to Pakistan.

The situation calls for Pakistan’s greater collaboration with Gulf navies in a manner that pre-empts any attempt by non-Gulf powers to penetrate what undoubtedly is Pakistan’s underbelly. Let Islamabad keep its eyes and ears open so as not get caught again by surprise. Bases are not begged for; bases are extorted or imposed. The host country has no choice but to follow the diktat of the economic hegemon. It is a pity that it is Pakistan that has to suffer because of the Arab ignorance of South Asian history.

Cheers Image
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Gautamji..you may like her but I am still not sure what she was doing in indian foreign policy thread...:lol: :lol: . So quoting the key sections
Media reports have alluded to a former disgruntled beau, but this cannot yet be confirmed. Some netizens are p
ointing to Pakistani Army spokesperson Major Asif Ghafoor, with whom she had an argument just before the leak
, but this could not be independently verified by Gulf News.
so the twitter mujhaid has struck back at her
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Pervez Hoodbhoy - Tracing the Roots of Religious Extremism

Cheers Image
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Cain Marko wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote:
Humbly disagree. Whenever anyone (be it mdme fair or hillary) hits TSP, India shouldn't let the opportunity go, Indians MUST pile on. We must also "wean" over those that we can away from the dark side.
Agree in general. Dr. Fair however has been tried and found to have feet of clay.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

tsarkar wrote:Off topic but check out this Youtube Video of her managing Indian Autowallas. This one was a peaceful Autowalla.

https://youtu.be/DjsMRw_lvVU

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/150703/ ... airs-tunes
Her inspiration is drawn from her mother, who she says was able “to use outlandish humour to defuse a situation” in her life.“My mother was like a real life Durga. She just made things happen no matter what was thrown in front of her,” she adds.
Not every Indian or Hindu is a bhakt and that needs to be respected.

What she has done is expose the Pakistani lobbying in US, and the US Analysts who fed off the Pakistani gravy train. These US Analysts cultivate Indian intellectuals in Delhi.

She speaks the truth about Pakistan and exposes the lies. And she exposes the US establishment analysts and intellectuals feeding off Pakistan.

Watch this video how she blasts Bush, Obama, for keeping the American checkbook open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgijhexkqE
Perspectives differ I guess. It was exactly this video that made me feel loathing for her, because it shows that she has no respect in her for India and SDREs. You may say, just because she doesn't endorse cow urine for cancer, it's no reason to reject her. And I can say, just because she behaved obnoxiously to a "peaceful" autowallah, that is no reason for me to fawn over her when she is openly disrespecting my home city and its ways.

"Peaceful" or not, the Hyderabadi autowalla is used to doing business a certain way--he decides, based on many factors, whether to take a fare or not. (could be lunchtime for him, after a day that starts ridiculously early, or he is on his way to pick up 100 schoolchildren by contract, or he is just tired from the horrible traffic and pollution and wants a nap, or whatever). He cannot use the meter as a way to signal that he is "off" as he never uses the meter, and the reason for that is that the official rates to which he is bound by the meter are ridiculous and won't feed him or his family, or even pay for the auto rental and fuel. (Ola has changed this picture considerably, but the video is from the pre-ola days).

If one ever bothered to have a talk with the autowallah and ask him why he doesn't pick up every fare that comes along, as required technically by law, these things become clear. These are very ground-level SDRE type concerns, and many of us hoity-toity types don't bother with them. All the more so, I suppose, if the particular autowallah in question happens to be "peaceful." (FYI, Hyderabad has mostly Hindu auto wallahs). Christine Fair's behavior in this case, and I'm afraid the cheering of people like you for that behavior, shows that SDREs struggling to live in a messy and hostile system are expected to be nothing more than automatons and slaves that should unquestioningly do their bidding.

I don't see it that way.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Where is the love for the ummah.. time for some extortion, hain.

Seven Qataris held for trying to hunt houbara without licence
Seven Qatari nationals, including four members of the royal family, were arrested for attempting to enter Nushki for hunting houbara bustard without permission of the Foreign Office.

Official sources told Dawn that the Qatari nationals were travelling towards Nushki on Monday evening when they were intercepted and taken into custody by Levies personnel at Galangoor checkpoint on the Quetta-Nushki highway.

Nushki Deputy Commissioner Abdul Razzaq Sasoli confirmed the arrest of the Qatari nationals. He said they were clad in local dresses in a bid to dodge security forces, but the Levies officials intercepted them at the checkpoint.
Royals in local dresses :?: curiouser and curiouser
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

KLNMurthy wrote:"Peaceful" or not, the Hyderabadi autowalla is used to doing business a certain way--he decides, based on many factors, whether to take a fare or not. (could be lunchtime for him, after a day that starts ridiculously early, or he is on his way to pick up 100 schoolchildren by contract, or he is just tired from the horrible traffic and pollution and wants a nap, or whatever). He cannot use the meter as a way to signal that he is "off" as he never uses the meter, and the reason for that is that the official rates to which he is bound by the meter are ridiculous and won't feed him or his family, or even pay for the auto rental and fuel. (Ola has changed this picture considerably, but the video is from the pre-ola days).

If one ever bothered to have a talk with the autowallah and ask him why he doesn't pick up every fare that comes along, as required technically by law, these things become clear. These are very ground-level SDRE type concerns, and many of us hoity-toity types don't bother with them. All the more so, I suppose, if the particular autowallah in question happens to be "peaceful." (FYI, Hyderabad has mostly Hindu auto wallahs). Christine Fair's behavior in this case, and I'm afraid the cheering of people like you for that behavior, shows that SDREs struggling to live in a messy and hostile system are expected to be nothing more than automatons and slaves that should unquestioningly do their bidding.
Regarding the auto walla, he was granted a license with certain SLA's he needs to fulfill to the general public. If the SLA's are so tough as you describe, then let him return his license and take his auto off the street. You cannot pick and choose as per your liking in what is essentially a public service. Ride Refusal and overcharging is a huge problem I see in Bombay, Delhi, Madras, Calcutta, Poona, Hyderabad, Bangalore where I have traveled in the last one year. Atleast in Bombay, the auto meter fares are higher than what Ola & Uber Go charge, so its financially lucrative.

Coming back to topic, personally I see Pakistan as a civilizational threat. The very existence of India goes against ethos of Pakistan and most Pakistanis, including Shias, Mohajirs and Ahmediyas want a return to medieval Sultanate where they exploit the subcontinent. The Muslim League and thereafter the state of Pakistan cultivated a false narrative and image for the world hiding their medieval genocidal nature. And milked the world, specifically the US.

People like Archer Blood who sent the Blood Telegram and Christine Fair expose that facade factually and scientifically without rhetoric and expose the genocidal nature of Pakistanis.

I dont care what she does in personal life and I dont care what she thinks about India and Hindus. She is doing a great service to USA, India and the world in that order by her work.

She is actively exposing that Pakistan is building tac nukes and training terrorists and extorting money from US to prevent nukes from falling into the hands of terrorists.

That is more important that a person's opinion on how she interacts auto wallahs.

Her book, Fighting to the End: The Pakistan Army's Way of War is the most indepth research into Pakistani Officer's psyche, and the most read book in Indian Military Establishment libraries.

Another work The Madrassah Challenge: Militancy and Religious Education in Pakistan crisply summarizes how Pakistanis are bred as Jihadis since birth.

Both works are extremely well researched and scientific and as of now, the best works on the respective subjects.

I dont care who she is but her work is important for the world. And on the occasions I interacted with her, I was impressed with her depth and professionalism on her subject.

This is my last post on this matter.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

^+100 Most probably wont like everything that she says or agree 100% with her on everything but there is no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Regarding Pakistan specifically, she exposes Paki perfidy much better than most desis and we should use that where we can - that need not be conflated with her other views that may make less sense. She is not Indian and it is delusional to expect her to support the Indian POV 100% - she is looking out first for her own and then American interests. But that does not mean that we should not leverage her work where we can.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Take it with a pinch of salt he is known to sway to any side, whichever side the wind is stronger! :(( :((
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

mappunni wrote:
Take it with a pinch of salt he is known to sway to any side, whichever side the wind is stronger! :(( :((
Didn't he dangle the bait of an FTA with Pakistan as an incentive to end the proxy war in Afghanistan a little less than a year back. Also if memory serves me right he signed a lobbying agreement with Bajwa & Co.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

He was given one of the award by the porkis - (Nishan - e - Fart) hoping for american riches in return.

Graham dangled the FTA and is now is pulling a paki move on the porkis and doing a reverse blackmail act on them :rotfl:
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Vips wrote:He was given one of the award by the porkis - (Nishan - e - Fart) hoping for american riches in return.

Graham dangled the FTA and is now is pulling a paki move on the porkis and doing a reverse blackmail act on them :rotfl:
No, he is saying it from the pro-Paki POV, his message being 'give in to the Paki demands, or else'
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted from the MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16 in Kashmir Thread
Aditya_V wrote:Interesting Looks like Pakis had to use F-16 which clearly indicates there are huge shortcomings in the JF-17 and also they moved them to AFB Murid etc and did not operate from Sargodha and Jacocabad where they were Authorized from
https://www.usnews.com/news/world-repor ... ment-shows
Addressed to the head of the Pakistani air force, Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan, the letter began by relaying the State Department's confirmation that Pakistan had moved the F-16s and accompanying American-made missiles to unapproved forward operating bases in defiance of its agreement with the U.S. Using diplomatic language, Thompson, who has since left government, warned the Pakistanis that their behavior risked allowing these weapons to fall into the hands of malign actors and "could undermine our shared security platforms and infrastructures."
I guess US is more worried that next time there is a Bin Laden type operation there own Helos may be shot down by an F-16 from unauthorized location.
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Though the mills of God grind slowly; Yet they grind exceeding small;

Though with patience He stands waiting, With exactness grinds He all.

Why has Pakistan indicted Hafiz Saeed, India's most wanted, now? - TIMESOFINDIA.COM

NEW DELHI: Four days after an anti-terrorism court in Lahore failed to indict Hafiz Saeed, founder of both Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and its supposedly humanitarian arm, Jamaat-udDawa (JuD), following the failure of Pakistan's law enforcement agencies to produce a co-accused in the court, Saeed was finally indicted by the court on charges of terror financing on Wednesday.

LeT was responsible for the killings of 160 people, including Americans, in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks. Along with Saeed, three of his top aides -- Hafiz Abdul Salam bin Muhammad, Muhammad Ashraf and Zafar Iqbal -- were also indicted on terror financing charges.

WHY NOW

The indictment comes less than a week after Islamabad submitted a report to the based terror financing watchdog, Financial Action Task Force (FATF), which, in October, had kept the country on the Grey List, asking that it take more concrete steps to avoid being put on the Black List. FATF, which has a meeting scheduled with Pakistan’s delegation in January 2020 to enable it to present its defence, had listed 22 points on which it said Pakistan had failed to comply.

It gave a deadline of February 2020 for Pakistan to comply in order to decide on its fate — on whether to remove it from the Grey List, transfer it to the Black List or keep it on the Grey List for more time.

Blacklisting by the FATF can hamper the inflow of loans to a country, which can only be through banks who will conduct due diligence for every transaction — being on the grey list has cost Pakistan $10 billion a year.

STRATEGIC TIMING

Pakistan's actions against Saeed have curiously been timed to various bilateral or multilateral events, especially those where its Prime Minister Imran Khan has participated. Saeed’s arrest in July came days before Khan’s maiden trip to the US as PM, in a bid to placate US President Donald Trump who has been extremely critical of Islamabad’s failure to check terrorism originating from its territory.

Saeed, who carries a bounty of $10 million on his head, was held guilty on charges of terror financing by Pakistan's counter terrorism department, about a month and a half before Khan’s UN trip in September. Actions against Saeed have also seen an up-tick ever since China, Pakistan's closest ally, assumed president-ship of FATF from July 1 — in fact, two days later, on July 3, Saeed and 12 of his associates were booked in several cases for terror financing and money laundering.

US APPROVES

The United States has welcomed Saeed's indictment and urged Pakistan to ensure an expeditious trial.

"We welcome the indictment of Hafiz Saeed and his associates. We call for #Pakistan to ensure a full prosecution and expeditious trial in line with its intl obligations to counter terrorist financing and bring the perpetrators of terrorist attacks like 26/11 to justice, " Alice G Wells, US Acting Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asia said in a tweet.

INDIA'S STANCE CLEAR

India says Pakistan has allowed Saeed to roam freely and was not interested in bringing him to justice.

Referring to the Mumbai terror attacks trial in Pakistan at a briefing on December 6, external affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said, "We all know who the perpetrators of the attack were. We all know who the mastermind is. We are also aware that the mastermind of this attack is roaming freely, he is enjoying Pakistan's hospitality."

"We are also aware about the link this attack had to the elements within the Pakistani establishment. There is a certain responsibility they have, they have an International obligation to take action. You are also aware that we have shared all the evidence with them. Now it is the responsibility of Pakistan to take action, " he said

Saeed's indictment comes amidst growing international pressure on Pakistan to rein-in terror groups operating from its soil and bring to justice terror group leaders like Saeed.

Comments : Terroristan has just got ITS POUND OF FLESH" - NO BLACK LISTING BY FATF :evil:

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

India under Modi is moving systematically with a supremacist agenda to replace Terroristan’s supremacist agenda says PM Imran - Dawn.com
Prime Minister Imran Khan said on Thursday that India, under Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has been moving systematically with a Hindu supremacist agenda to replace Terroristan’s, supremacist agenda.
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

India hits back at Imran Khan for criticising Citizens (Amendment) Bill

External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said the persecution of the religious minorities in Pakistan flows from the country's Constitution and its "draconian" blasphemy laws.

NEW DELHI: India on Thursday hit back at Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan for slamming the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, saying such "unwarranted" criticism cannot absolve Islamabad of the "blatant persecution" of religious minorities in the neighbouring country.

External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said the persecution of the religious minorities in Pakistan flows from the country's Constitution and its "draconian" blasphemy laws.

On Tuesday, Khan said that the bill "violates all norms of international human rights law and bilateral agreements with Pakistan" and that "it is part of the RSS Hindu Rashtra design of expansionism." I'm the Dim should first learn about protecting Pakistani Minorities of Shias, Quadianis, Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians.

"I am not going to respond to every unwarranted and gratuitous comments made by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on our internal affairs," Kumar said.

"Such comments cannot absolve Pakistan of the blatant persecution of the religious minorities which flows, including from the discrimination imbibed in its Constitution, the draconian blasphemy laws and the apathy of state institutions in protecting girls belonging to minority community from rape, abduction, forced conversion and marriages," Kumar said.

He said Pakistan needs to look inwards and ensure protection and promotion of the rights of its minorities rather than "compulsively" commenting on internal affairs of other countries in the breach of internationally recognised norms.

The bill seeks to provide citizenship to non-Muslim persecuted religious minorities from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The Lok Sabha had passed the contentious bill on Monday while the Rajya Sabha cleared it on Wednesday notwithstanding simmering anger against the bill for last several months. The bill will become a law once President Ram Nath Kovind gives it his assent.

Cheers Image
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

This Niazi is proceeding to be progressively unhinged. But Pakistanis do not seem to be ashamed of his incontinent outbursts.

Pakistan expects India to do its duty and accept the 'Biharis stranded' in East Pakistan as legitimate refugees, no doubt.
Rohit_K
BRFite

Post by Rohit_K »

PML-N leader and Pashto poet killed in Swat & Lakki Marwat
https://menafn.com/1099410984/Pakistan- ... kki-Marwat
PESHAWAR: A political leader and a poet were killed in separate incidents in Swat and Lakki Marwat on Wednesday.

In Swat, a former candidate of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) for the National Assembly seat Feroz Shah Advocate was shot dead in Damghar area of Kabal tehsil. Unknown armed men opened fire on the vehicle of the PML-N leader due to which he and his driver sustained critical injuries. Police said the injured persons were taken to Saidu Sharif Hospital where Feroz Shah succumbed to his injuries. According to police, Feroz Shah was targeted when he came out of the mosque after Maghrib prayer. Feroz Shah contested the previous election from the National Assembly seat NA-4 from Swat. He was defeated by the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Murad Saeed in the election.

In Lakki Marwat, unknown armed men shot dead eminent award winning Pashto poet Zahoor Abbas Afgar Bukhari. Police said unknown armed men entered the hujra (male guest house) of Zahoor Abbas and shot him dead. Police shifted the body of the poet to hospital for post mortem. Zahoor Abbas, who belonged to Shia community and was also a religious leader, was winner of presidential award on his services in the field of Pashto literature. A large number of followers and relatives of Zahoor Abbas reached the hospital after hearing the news about the incident. A police team arrived at the hujra of the deceased and collected evidences.

The followers and relatives also held a protest demonstration against the murder of Zahoor Abbas and blocked Bannu-Mianwali road for all kinds of traffic due to which passengers faced difficulties. Participants of the protest said Zahoor Abbas was a peace-loving leader and he always preached peace. They said the deceased worked selflessly to promote religious harmony in the region. They demanded arrest of the culprits involved in the assassination forthwith. Officials of the district administration and police reached the protest venue and held talks with the protesters. They assured the protesters that strict action will be taken and murderers will be arrested soon after which they agreed to open the road and dispersed peacefully.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Were Pakis out on the street todin protesting against abrogation of Art 370 as Dim had ordered or are they inside Pindi stadium hoping for the match to begin ?
Where is the morality in Pakis ?
Meanwhile KSA King squeezes Pakis more on their new found alliance with Turks/Malaysia.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Imran Khan's strong reaction to Pakistan hospital attack, 250 lawyers booked
The police has registered two cases against 250 lawyers under various criminal charges for allegedly attacking the Pakistan Institute of Cardiology (PIC) and ransacking the property in Lahore.
Lahore remained under the grip of fear and chaos as angry lawyers attacked the PIC, leaving three patients dead as riots and vandalism began in and outside the facility on Wednesday.
The incident was reportedly triggered by a video clip of some doctors, who had ridiculed the lawyers.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Pakistan at bottom of the barrel in human development

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2116713/1- ... velopment/
ISLAMABAD:
Pakistan has fallen to the bottom of the list of countries with medium human development and is ranked at 152 – only a notch away from slipping into the group of nations that have very low human development, says a new United Nations report released on Thursday.

The United Nations Human Development Report (HDR) 2019 has ranked Pakistan at 152 among 189 nations as compared to 151 last year.

The country also fared poor as compared to most other South Asian nations. India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Maldives performed better than Pakistan. The results are based on the 2018 data.

The Human Development Index forms part of the HDR 2019, a flagship study produced annually by the UNDP. This year’s report is titled ‘Beyond income, beyond averages, beyond today: Inequalities in Human Development in the 21st Century’.

In other South Asian countries, India ranked 129 on the index; Bangladesh 135, Sri Lanka 71, Maldives 104, Nepal 147, and Bhutan 134.

“Pakistan is 13% below the average HDI of South Asia,” said Umer Malik, a policy analyst of the UNDP. “There was some improvement on the HDI but the country lagged far behind than other nations.”
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

is niazi and/or bajwa powerful enough to push through legislation allowing for a three year extension to bajwa

on the face of it, it seems doubtful

General Bajwa’s extension: Byzantine intrigues or bumbling by an inept government?

General Bajwa’s extension: Byzantine intrigues or bumbling by an inept government?

SUSHANT SAREEN
DEC 04 2019

What appeared to be a done deal – a second three year term for Pakistan’s army chief General Qamar Bajwa – is no longer so. After keeping the government and the military on the tenterhooks for a few days, the Pakistan Supreme Court pulled back from the brink and allowed Gen. Bajwa to continue in office for another six months after his first term ends 28 November. During this period, the government has been asked to legislate on the issue of the army chief’s terms of service, failing which his appointment will be held illegal.

Although the government and the army chief have got a breather for some time, there is speculation on whether Gen. Bajwa will stay on, or he will prefer to quit in a few days/weeks because his extension has become controversial, and is likely to become even more contentious. Chances are that he won’t quit easily, much less gracefully. He signalled as much when he didn’t have any compunction in going to the PM House in Islamabad and becoming part of the brainstorming session to save his job on the eve of the Supreme Court judgment. Either way, what has happened over the last couple of days could have far reaching impact on the power dynamics in Pakistan.

While the entire episode exposed the astounding incompetence of the Imran Khan government, it also called into question the ‘deep state’s’ backing for, and selection of, Imran Khan as Prime Minister. Of course, Pakistan being the conspiracy theory capital of the world, there were a plethora of such theories – some utterly bizarre, while others quite plausible, even possible – surrounding the entire drama around the Army Chief’s extension.

Among the bizarre theories was one that claimed that Imran Khan orchestrated the entire drama, partly as payback for the military establishment’s propping up Maulana Fazlur Rehman to bring Imran Khan down a peg or two. The problem with this theory is that it attributes a level of cunning, even Machiavellianism, to Imran Khan that he is demonstrably incapable off. Even otherwise, stories of a split between Gen. Bajwa and Imran Khan are a bit far-fetched. There is no doubt that there is some disquiet in the military establishment over Imran Khan’s handling of the government, especially in Punjab, but things haven’t yet reached the breaking point where both sides conspire against each other. Even otherwise, by and large Imran Khan is obedient and has given in to virtually everything demanded off him by the military, and there is no incentive or urgency, certainly not on the part of Bajwa, to get rid of him.

Another, more benign, explanation behind the entire theatre of the absurd is that the judiciary took cognisance of the petition questioning the extension purely on grounds of legal and constitutional lacunae. Since the judges were wading into uncertain and uncharted territory and raising questions that had never been raised before, the government lawyers were nonplussed and bumbled in the responses. The problem with this explanation is that in Pakistan's entire history, the judges have never ever taken on the all-powerful military, even less a sitting army chief, unless the military and/or its chief had become weak on account of circumstances (for example, unpopularity as in the case of Musharraf in 2007) or they were backed by someone so powerful that it gave them the confidence to take on a serving chief.

For all their claims and pretensions of being independent, the fact of the matter is that the Pakistani judiciary are ‘lions under the throne’, working as handmaidens of the ‘deep state’. Every time any judge has tried to take on the military establishment, they have been unceremoniously ousted. The example of the Islamabad High Court judge Shaukat Siddiqui who called out the ISI for trying to influence him to fix Nawaz Sharif, or that of Justice Qazi Faez Isa who has passed strictures against the ruling party and the intelligence establishment for their complicity and incompetence in handling of the Faizabad Dharna, should be enough to figure out what happens to judges who dare to take on the ‘establishment’. All the talk of the judiciary having emerged as a power centre on par with the military and government is just that.

Clearly, it is quite inconceivable that the Pakistani judges have suddenly acquired so much courage and fortitude to take on a sitting army chief and the civilian government without some sort of backing from some very powerful quarters. The entire sequence of events leading up to the hearing on the extension question, as well as the timing, suggests that there is more to it than meets the eye. Ever since Imran Khan announced in August that Bajwa was being given another full term as army chief, there have been whispers in corridors of power that something is going to give, and soon.

Within days of the announcement, Maulana Fazlur Rehman announced his Azadi March. Despite entreaties from other opposition parties to postpone the March, the Maulana insisted that it will be held in October, weeks short of the original retirement date of Bajwa. It didn’t take long for insinuations that the March was linked to the extension. Some people even suggested that while ouster of Imran Khan was the excuse, the real aim of the Maulana was Bajwa – once Imran lost his main backer, his ouster would be child’s play. The manner in which Maulana Fazlur Rehman is reported to have defied Bajwa who tried to dissuade him from the March – something that almost never happens, because when an army chief tells a politician something, it has to be followed, period. An army chief is defied only if he has nothing to offer, or no power to hurt. Later after the Maulana ended his dharna, he surprised everyone by exuding confidence that there will be a big change in December - January. This set off speculation that someone had given assurances to the Maulana.

Just days before the extension, a petition was filed by a former army officer accusing Bajwa of being an Ahmadi and as such ineligible to become army chief. This petition was withdrawn. But yet another petition was filed by a serial petitioner questioning the legality of the extension. There was some surprise when the Supreme Court decided to admit this petition. Even though the petitioner later withdrew – he was apparently intimidated – the court decided to go ahead and examine the legality of the petition and suspended the notification giving Bajwa another term. Initially it appeared that the Court was going to guillotine Bajwa – the technical, legal, constitutional, procedural and institutional functioning questions raised by the judges suggested that it was curtains for the army chief. And then something happened on the last day which made the judges exercise ‘judicial restraint’ and not upset Bajwa’s applecart completely.

The question is who was pulling the strings from behind the scenes? It couldn’t be the judges on their own; it certainly wasn’t the ruling dispensation or people loyal to the ancien regime; the only people who could pull off something like this were people within the ‘deep state’. Pakistani generals and officers have tried such things in the past as well. The Imran Khan dharna in 2014 was backed by a clique of generals who were wanting to get rid of both Nawaz Sharif and the then army chief Gen Raheel Sharif. There has been some talk of unhappiness in the top brass with the extension given to Bajwa. There are also whispers about how some of the top officers disapprove of Bajwa and his policies. In fact, there have been straws in the wind that hint that there has been some resistance to decisions taken by Bajwa in the rank and file of the army. His extension clearly was seen as a tipping point.

While the Supreme Court ruling has given a breather to Bajwa and Imran Khan, it has at the same time damaged Bajwa by making his continuation controversial. Basically, Bajwa has been brought down from his pedestal and as such will find it difficult to retain the respect, even reverence, in which the army chief is held by rest of the commanders. More importantly, he will have to try and work the political system to ensure that the legislation that will regularise his extension is passed without roadblocks. This could mean either reaching out, appeasing and cutting deals with the opposition which is being hounded (and thereby risk Imran Khan’s ire who would hate to see any softening towards the opposition), or doubling down on intimidating, threatening, and browbeating opposition to pass the legislation (which could backfire badly and unsettle the current precarious power balance). But apart from how the political dynamics play out, and how the civil-military equation balances out, Bajwa will be constantly looking over his shoulder to guard himself from being shafted by his own officers. The implication of this for the institutional coherence in the Pakistan Army will be something to watch out for.

But one thing is certain. If at the end of the six month period, Bajwa doesn’t get an extension, then it will not just be ‘minus one’ (read Bajwa) but ‘minus two’ (also Imran Khan); alternatively, if the legislation laying out the terms of service of the armed forces chiefs is forced through Parliament by arm twisting the opposition, it will have serious repercussions on the already tattered body politic of Pakistan.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Is junior Niazi among them?

Police hunt PM Imran Khan's nephew over deadly hospital riot
Police in Pakistan say they are seeking to arrest PM Imran Khan's nephew for taking part in a violent protest at a hospital in which three patients died.

Lahore police raided Hassan Niazi's residence and say he may now be hiding.

Mr Niazi was among several hundred lawyers who ransacked a city hospital in a dispute with doctors. Riot police had to be called in to restore order.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Anyone who thinks Christine Fair is professional and is in anyone's camp apart from Christine Fair's is mistaken IMHO. She has her own agenda and it may change tomorrow.

"Hardcore Hindutva types" and "cow urine" jibes were exactly what that terrorist who attacked the Pulwama CRPF guys used. Its a slippery slope, as is the use of the term bhakt to describe people who subscribe to a different political ideology. Its a slippery slope. The term bhakt means devotee in Hindu religious parlance. The fact that it has been used extensively by the left who are Hinduphobes and brought into common usage by all of us should still make us more aware and careful. Especially since that ilk would bristle at us appropriating similar religiously charged terms to describe people of other faiths yet they trade on our acceptance to mock our own belief systems.

Similarly, the cow urine jibe has become a terrific self-goal by Hindus who have ended up giving bigoted propagandists a huge tool to mock Hindus, because we allowed it to become widespread and have not done enough to put across a viewpoint which takes into account the context.

For instance, how many here know the drug Premarin commonly prescribed by doctors, is made from horse urine (https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/my- ... this-true/ and https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/premarin/). And what of Insulin itself - for many many decades it was derived from the pancreas of pigs and cattle. (http://www.animalresearch.info/en/medic ... f-insulin/)

Fact is without the ability to screen for active ingredients, it was very common in indigenous/nativist medical systems to use the entire raw material itself. And in the local context, it has been demonstrated that cow urine does contain compounds that have medical benefit.
I do know that in rural India, cow urine has been successfully used as a disinfectant for skin infections with rapid effects!

Ironically, any attempt by Indian scientists to screen cow urine for active compounds is attacked by the western media and their local support crew in our left/media gang as evidence of how deluded, primeval Hindus are.

Similar attempts were made by the usual suspects to attack the Modi led GOI's attempts to use Ayurveda in the modern context, and its body screening types. The charge was led by Brit based "scientist bloggers" and gleefully lapped by up local media. Reality? A very senior Doctor, a non Hindu btw, engaged in research, recently noted to me & several others, that our ancients had done yeoman work in classifying body types and how they were specifically susceptible to particular diseases, and it now needed to be tailored with genomic analysis to correlate with drug effectiveness. Yoga and Yoga Day were widely mocked by desi websites like Firstpost about how it was being prescribed for anyone and everything, and it was basically a fraud. Not a peep from the same folks, about US Army treating veterans with Yoga for PTSD. Oh, wait, vagus nerve. (https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr)

Guess who, by constantly mocking and disparaging attempts to seek answers in nativist medicine and even its mere evaluation to discern the wheat from the chaff, is seeking to block any and every possible advance that leapfrogs the current western dominance in healthcare. Whether by intent or otherwise, the lead is sought to be maintained.

And understand this, this jibe applies at ALL Hindus, irrespective of whether you are fair, dark, thin, fat, upper or middle or lower caste, or rich or poor, or are a doctor, or an educational professional or a CEO or a veteran. You are a Hindu, you will be tagged with this. No westerner or Paki, will care for your nuance that you are not a cow-urine type and in fact criticize your peers for the same. Some chap does not like your business proposal, this is the jibe that will be going on behind your back. Irrespective of the fact that camel urine is widely used in Arab countries and has religious backing in Islam. (https://islamqa.info/en/answers/83423/t ... amel-urine)

Its in *your* best interest to fight back, as much as possible, disarm this jibe, and point out that cow urine *may* have significant benefits but it requires additional research, and extreme positions regarding its possible benefit may be due to its widespread usage in native health systems, and citing the examples above push back, stating its our choice to ensure serendipitous medical discoveries are not ignored.

Coming back to Fair, she refuses to consider any and every evidence until it meets her agenda to the nth and coincides with her belief system. Right now she has a bee in her bonnet regarding Pakistan and is hence anti-Pak to a degree, tomorrow she well might flip.

KLN Murthy, IMO is utterly correct in his assessment of her. Her single and total purpose is pushing the western agenda and considering them and by consequence herself sui generis, far above whatever Indians are, and are capable of. Three recent cases provide ample evidence of her thought process and how she disregards any and every evidence until and unless it meets her agenda.

First, she was particularly sneeringly dismissive of the IAF's Balakote strike, based on the same logic, and the IAF's F-16 claim. No amount of evidence provided by the IAF was enough for her, once IAF made the F-16 claim. She dismissed senior IAF folks and veterans as propagandists, routinely uses the term bhakt for anyone who disagrees with her and provides evidence, and has in the past used the cow urine jibe as well. Its ok to disagree, but the disagreeable manner in which it was done, spoke volumes.

In recent days, when the CAB/NRC issue came up, she started name-calling Indian security analysyts who supported it as bigots, in effect trying to shame them into silence. Of course, she keeps utterly silent about US operations in Afghanistan unless it meets her political agenda (anti-Trump). For instance, she named called Sushant Sareen as an anti-Muslim bigot *merely because he supported CAB and NRC*. He took the high road pointing out she is abusive to everyone and her name-calling was pathetic.

Third, her support for many folks who are Hinduphobes. A casual perusal of her TL reaffirms her enthusiastic usage of Hinduphobe terms, jibes at anyone who disagrees with her on *any* topic. Its important to note that even other academics, who may hold far more extreme positions than her on other topics are rarely so disagreeable. It is completely mistaken IMHO to divorce what these folks personal beliefs are versus Hindus, Indians as merely their personal foible and not consider the impact it has on their public behavior and so called analysis.

In short, enjoy her support re: Pak and the schadenfreude as much as possible when Pakistanis confront the fact that an asset they sought to cultivate backfired spectacularly, but we need to keep our own counsel and push the Indian POV by improving the stature, capability and reach of India based sources.

Unfortunately, most of the analysis published by many desi think tanks etc is pedestrian compared to what even a biased western scholar may turn out. Even apart from the optics of an Indian writing on Pakistan, our quality in official journals is hit and miss.

I have learnt more from SSridhar's top notch posts on BRF, than from those who are doing this on a standard basis.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

This is Christine Fair's latest.

I leave it to the forum members to judge how professional and sound her behavior is.

Note both the casual dismissal of the IAF Veteran as being prone to "selection bias" over the facts he presented regarding the F-16 shootdown, and the complete and total deranged meltdown over the IA Veteran's remark regarding Naushera, merely because the aged gentleman asked her whether she knew what the background/responsibilities of a Brigade Major were, was so that he could provide context.

"Christine Fair had a meltdown at the Military Literature Festival when a retd Lt Gen asked her if she knew what a Brigade Major is"

https://twitter.com/manaman_chhina/stat ... 0361608192