5G Technology News Discussions, Strategy and Impact to India

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

5G Technology News Discussions, Strategy and Impact to India

Post by ramana »

I posted this in October 2019 in Tech forum and didn't get much response in that forum...
-------------
I think we needed to start a 5G thread by itself.
Its the future of digital highway.
Just as caravans were the mode of transport for land, ships for seas and planes for air, 5G will enable the digital highway.
NaMo in Howdy Modi said "Data is the new Oil!"

So if there are no objections, would like to start a new thread...
--------
5G has strategic impacts on technology, economy, digital world, and national security.

Please discuss this from those angles.

i would like to know who education in colleges has to be changed etc.

kshirin you can participate too....
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: 5G Technology News Discussions, Strategy and Impact to India

Post by ramana »

A few facts to keep in mind.
The technology is relatively young.
There are two parts to it to get to full capability.
The battle now is to get to the first part capability for the next will be built on it.
Currently Huawei and Ericsson are the leaders.
Both are based on Qualcomm chips for the router.
There are Indian makers of some of the hardware.
Because of the nature of the technology i.e high frequency the repeater towers have to be more in number.

Airtel, Reliance, Vodafone are the big telecom in India.

Airtel might be acquired by a foreign company.
BSNL has been re-capitalized by GOI.

Now whats GOI doing about it?

The govt has setup an expert committee with Commander Paulraj, ex IN and Stanford professor as consultant to roll out the installation.

GOI has invited Huawei and Ericsson to display their hardware for trials.

There is lot of heartburn in Delhi with fights among the big cheese as this is a very lucrative program.

What do I know?
Not much as am only an engineer.
But I know this is heart of digital transformation to the knowledge century and is close to NaMo heart.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

shouldnt it be in tech forums?
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

https://inc42.com/buzz/will-arrival-of- ... relevance/

Does it mean more Chinese smartphones in Indian market. Can become a security nightmare when trouble comes calling.
As the government finalises the framework for 5G technology and plans to begin trials, smartphone brands have also scooped up the opportunity to become the early players in the new tech. However, analysts expect this trend will make Indian manufacturers pay a heavy price.

Research firm TechArc reportedly expects to see 15-18 premium smartphone models (excluding variants) to be introduced in India this year. Further, International Data Corporation reportedly said that due to the affordability factor, companies will come up with both 4G and 5G variants in 2020, while full-fledged sales of 5G phones will pick up only in 2021.

Towards 2021, IDC expects the prices of 5G phones to fall below $300. Further, TechArc reportedly believes that 1.5 Mn 5G phones will be sold in India this year, about 1% of the country’s overall smartphone sales.
uskumar
BRFite

Post by uskumar »

Stalemate continues over local 5G standards: Telcos, vendors say harmonization with global standards must

tldr: TSDSI (India's Standards body) wants to include LMLC( Low Mobility Large Cell) configuration in 5g but Telecom operators are resisting the same.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

The problem with radio communication is that it can be easily jammed in a war type situation. This is why wired communications are much preferred. But given the situation of Indian market(unplanned cities, no competition in landline sector), landline telephone have almost disappeared and mobile phones have filled the void left by landline.

Fibre optic(jiofibre, spectranet etc) is supposed to do what landline failed to do but so far jiofibre has already flopped. The only way this can take off now is if you give the networking job to the electricity company where they install a "data line" cable along side your existing electricity mains cable. They already have overhead poles which can easily carry the slimmer fibre optic cables.

5g will not see light in india before 2025. The govt intends to raise an outrageous sum from spectrum sales which will be long and painful.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Does 5G carry any significant advantage over 4G for a regular mobile user ?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Do we have some member who is savvy in Telecom sector and can map the Desi companies who can contribute to the Desi 5G setup in near future with right kind of push..?? Companies, their existing products related to 5G, their capabilities for development in near future, fund requirmenets and so on. Would be great if we can bring out some hard facts and generate a sort of policy paper out of it.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Vikas wrote:Does 5G carry any significant advantage over 4G for a regular mobile user ?
It's a misnomer to think 5G is a progression of 4G or LTE. The reality is it is all in one solution for ALL data communication for all range of data rates.

Pls read on it.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Vikas wrote: Does it mean more Chinese smartphones in Indian market. Can become a security nightmare when trouble comes calling.
No. Smartphone and other end devices will continue with current risk exposure to the individual (virus and all).
The communication infrastructure security is the big security requirement and the base of new applications in the new future needs & businesses
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ArjunPandit wrote:shouldnt it be in tech forums?
It basically was in a coma there in the telecom thread.
I suggested to start it in October and none one hint of interest by anyone there.
Any way its more than making money hence Its here.
If you don't like it you can still post in the telecom thread.

Coaching and supporting mode does not work.
Still in direction mode among even long time members.
Hence had to start the thread.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS wrote:Do we have some member who is savvy in Telecom sector and can map the Desi companies who can contribute to the Desi 5G setup in near future with right kind of push..?? Companies, their existing products related to 5G, their capabilities for development in near future, fund requirmenets and so on. Would be great if we can bring out some hard facts and generate a sort of policy paper out of it.
Already done.

Till policy paper level.

Its not our material anymore.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Reading material to ramp up on. Easy reading first:

White Paper: 5G Network Architecture - A High-Level Perspective :: Huawei
https://www.huawei.com/en/industry-insi ... chitecture

Heavy Reading Whitepaper: Exploring 5G New Radio: Use Cases, Capabilities & Timeline :: Qualcomm
https://www.qualcomm.com/documents/heav ... s-timeline
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

I had the opportunity to listen to a desi industry heavyweight presenting on 5G.
Basic point - 5G isnt revolutionary as the name may suggest. More evolutionary, than previous Gen to Gen jumps. Need to keep expectations in check.
Bandwidth increase is not going to be a radical advantage, or speeds for that matter. Depends on distance to tower and multiple factors. What is a big deal however is the communication despite low latency. I.e. earlier where call would drop, now you expect call + data to continue working. This has huge ramifications for both communications but also UAVs. DGCA is already neck deep in proposals for UAVs which can take advantage of all this. Hub and spoke model for everyone from food delivery to courier apps (and associated security challenges). Interesting times!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ramana wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:shouldnt it be in tech forums?
It basically was in a coma there in the telecom thread.
I suggested to start it in October and none one hint of interest by anyone there.
Any way its more than making money hence Its here.
If you don't like it you can still post in the telecom thread.

Coaching and supporting mode does not work.
Still in direction mode among even long time members.
Hence had to start the thread.
ramana guru, just because people spend time here doesnt mean they will match your wisdom ..or have time to catch up with your wisdom...i anyways limiting myself to these two threads only...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I am not wise and as others can attest I keep learning.
But get your drift.
Don't take it sarcastic.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

5G is not set to deliver massive data rate increases to the end user, at least not initially. The current 4G+ standard called LTE-Advanced should be able to provide the same rates as 5G. More over, as is the case with every new generation, the first 5G handsets have very poor battery life when on 5G. This is because it takes time for the chipset manufacturer to integrate the 5G stack into the chipset itself and at start at least, uses an off board modem to do the processing. Over time this gets more efficient and gets baked into the chipset, but for now, it would be a battery hog.

But 5G is set to offer the following changes:
  • 5G users a different bands than 3G or 4G, which is split into two sections - NR which is sub 6 GHZ and mmwave which is 24-100 GHz. I have not seen a handset with the latter range yet, and it will have very poor penetration. However these new bands means more spectrum which should help the operators with their already clogged networks. More importantly it will allow the governments to make more money at the spectrum auction!
  • 5G uses same OFDM as 4G, but is more optimised for latency. This should open up more application usage.Moreover, it is built from ground up to be very efficient for machine-to-machine communications. Think of smart meters with sims inside it that can be read remotely without having to do manual readings, which should save corporations money. This was possible earlier as well but from a network perspective was very inefficient from a radio resource perspective. 5G modem use is optimised for applications that require infrequent low data rate transfers. Another application I can think of tracking cars in fleets or for use in self driving vehicles.
  • 5G is also finishing the journey of separating out the control plane and data plane where the former is the signalling and data plane is user traffic. This began in 3G, gained ground in 4G and is nearly completed in 5G. This will allow for more rapid deployment of services and new applications. Imagine in 2G, you were restricted to voice and SMS and a bit of data. If you wanted to deploy some new application it was impossible as the control and data plane were tightly coupled and were dependant on the operator. With 3G and 4G Over the top services such as Skype, Whatsapp flourished as they ran on top of the IP stack which meant anyone could deploy the services. This also meant operator revenue shifted from voice services to data services. In fact in 4G, there was no circuit switched voice like 2G had, all voice was packet switched.
  • 5G also introduces the concept of "network slicing". We already have the concept of MVNOs in 3G and 4G : virtual operators that didnt actually own a network but piggy backed off the actual operators that did. MVNOs varied from being purely virtual to some that were "thick" i.e. had significant portions of the network duplicated. 5G makes creating a MVNO even more easier: the standards itself call for "slicing" or "multi tenancy" where the network is logically partitioned right from the RAN (radio) all the way through the core into slices or partitions. The operator can then hire out that slice to anyone.
  • While 5G does not mandate it, network slicing results in massive virtualization requirement along with use of technologies such as software defined networking and use of service based interfaces. 4-5 years I would have been hard pressed to find an equipment vendor that was selling core network applications that were virtualised (Virtual Network Functions in industry parlance). Now it has gone 180 degrees and hardly any serious vendor sells bare metal network applications.
In my opinion the last bit is the most significant:
  • The established operators that used to tout their "telco grade" equipment are going to see their lunch being eaten by smaller and more nimble vendors that are software houses primarily as opposed to telco vendors. This represents a great opportunity for small Indian companies to take advantage of. Companies like Nokia, E/// have just taken their existing application and put a wrapper around it and virtualised it. However more nimble vendors like Mavenir, Huawei, Affirmed networks have written it from ground up for the cloud and thats why they are preferred. Indian software houses should take advantage of this opportunity. In any case the likes of E/// and Nokia are repackaging open source software such as OpenStack anyway, so might as well an Indian company do it.
  • It is vastly more easier now in 5G to deploy a core network. In theory, one could just as well deploy an entire core on AWS or Microsoft Azure, which means theoretically one could deliver network services in Africa using the cloud in US. Its another matter government regulations may not permit it, but expect some big operator to try this ...
  • This also exposes a bigger threat profile and attack surface for Indian telecom operators. It is relatively easier to secure a dedicated network, but when your whole network is virtualized with the virtualization layer coming from one company and the application from another and a complete bhel puri of vendors in the mix, it will be harder to secure data. Sadly our Indian telco operators have a poor track record of this
    Most operators are also jumping onto the big data analytics bandwagon with the advent of 5G. This means operators will find out even more about you, and whatever little privacy you had will go for a toss. Given the total neglect Indian operators have on this, expect to be stripped of everything as a user. How much secure this data will be is anybodys guess... expect the likes of 3 letter agencies from US to get this on a platter...
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

In the 5G space does India have anything of its own or is it down the Huawie route.
Hopefully this is being considered
https://www.eenewsanalog.com/news/india ... -5g-modems
https://www.signalchip.com/
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Saar why are Commie Chinki Huawei being allowed for even in the testing phase?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Good set of points Tanaji. 5G NW slicing is a big threat to E/// and ALU back ends apart from the operators. In fact, it is actually good for operators from an operations standpoint(business part i agree may not be). Intel is very well positioned in this race. Overall, India has close to zero on the device side when it comes to 5G. Last that i knew we had a couple of startups who i think produced test chips for 5G. Having been part of RAN meetings(SG/WG) and plenary sessions 5G was made very similar to 4G when it came to physical layer to ensure that companies(operator/infra) didnt have to put in too much money on upgrading given they had upgraded just a few years ago(circa 2012 LTE was on its initial legs delivering CAT4 150 down/50 up in the most advanced deployment)

LMLC was pushed hard by Indian academics almost to the point where people were vexed with our famed IIT gurus. LMLC could have become what was TD-SCDMA for China but thats a different story. The way that they put forth their case showed total inexperience and massive ego. Again, mantriji came up with this stupid "frugal 5G" and the academia wanted to show mantriji something for their tenures or promos. I should say the IIT gurus have egos the size of a watermelon one person in fact had even pushed for new waveforms without paying a thought to the implementation difficult. TSDSI was simply a playground for all of us including ISRO. In this whole case, ISRO was very sensible and to the point. Again, 5G has a sub6 GHz part and a millimeter wave part(28/37 GHz) and ISRO was happy(not sure if they stood by their word) but vacated 25-27 GHz. DoT played a very good role all through. The DGs were willing to listen but some of our brown sahebs from MNCs confused them. The whole story is of a massive missed opportunity atleast on the UE side, on the NW side i still have a few hopes but not sure if they would continue.

BTW, 5G will not deliver any major performance boost in India because our networks are backhaul limited. It definitely helps the operator service more customers by bursting the accumulated data how i wish ITI had gone into the UE sector or our famed IIT gurus had started making basic 4G modems on RISC-V architecture and licensing out the baseband IP to players in india. Had that been done the 5G chip could have easily been built in India. BTW, am not another armchair general in this case i designed and realized in HW large parts of this IP in BLR and the entire software/Firmware part from BLR

Either ways we lost another match just like we lost in other fields
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Tanaji wrote: .....
[*]While 5G does not mandate it, network slicing results in massive virtualization requirement along with use of technologies such as software defined networking and use of service based interfaces. 4-5 years I would have been hard pressed to find an equipment vendor that was selling core network applications that were virtualised (Virtual Network Functions in industry parlance). Now it has gone 180 degrees and hardly any serious vendor sells bare metal network applications. [/list]

In my opinion the last bit is the most significant:
  • The established operators that used to tout their "telco grade" equipment are going to see their lunch being eaten by smaller and more nimble vendors that are software houses primarily as opposed to telco vendors. This represents a great opportunity for small Indian companies to take advantage of. Companies like Nokia, E/// have just taken their existing application and put a wrapper around it and virtualised it. However more nimble vendors like Mavenir, Huawei, Affirmed networks have written it from ground up for the cloud and thats why they are preferred. Indian software houses should take advantage of this opportunity. In any case the likes of E/// and Nokia are repackaging open source software such as OpenStack anyway, so might as well an Indian company do it.
  • It is vastly more easier now in 5G to deploy a core network. In theory, one could just as well deploy an entire core on AWS or Microsoft Azure, which means theoretically one could deliver network services in Africa using the cloud in US. Its another matter government regulations may not permit it, but expect some big operator to try this ...
  • This also exposes a bigger threat profile and attack surface for Indian telecom operators. It is relatively easier to secure a dedicated network, but when your whole network is virtualized with the virtualization layer coming from one company and the application from another and a complete bhel puri of vendors in the mix, it will be harder to secure data. Sadly our Indian telco operators have a poor track record of this
    Most operators are also jumping onto the big data analytics bandwagon with the advent of 5G. This means operators will find out even more about you, and whatever little privacy you had will go for a toss. Given the total neglect Indian operators have on this, expect to be stripped of everything as a user. How much secure this data will be is anybodys guess... expect the likes of 3 letter agencies from US to get this on a platter...
Bingo ....

Your last 2 para on security aspect leads to the conclusion that "one can't be half pregnant". Either all fingers in the pie or its a fools errand.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

suryag wrote:...

Either ways we lost another match just like we lost in other fields
IMHO the match is into half innings, far from conclusion.

I believe Modi hai to mumkin hai.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

SuryaG, how do you rate Tejas networks in the entire telco space? Credible, in terms of being able to scale up if GOI were to fund them?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Karanm Sir they are good in the sense that they have a refined prototype on the LTE base station side(eNodeB) however, to take it to the next level they need a nice deployment to iron out all the wrinkles not sure if they are getting there. The RAN part(the back end) is relatively straight forward it is the eNB where HW and SW and high speed design aspects come together and needs field deployments to refine the product. Not sure about 5G base station side, heard Mavenir is setting up a full blown team in BLR for base stations. Namo can only do so much our industry needs to couple our bania ways of thinking and put a long term perspective to it(more investment in R&D, more passion for Indian products and above all more pride and confidence in themselves)
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

suryag-ji

Your earlier comments were right on the money: too much emphasis on being the most technically correct or being correct in classical sense rather than making sense engineering wise. IMHO the horse in the cellular modem/handset space has bolted long ago. We neither have the IP nor the fabs to make a difference in the handset space. It is criminal as to why there are no Indian contributions worth the name in the standards bodies like ETSI: it doesn't take a lot to be a contributor there from experience....

However there are lower volume products still up for taking: one great example is the fixed broadband modem or the 5G repeater. The former offers an alternative to wired broadband by taking a 5G signal and distributing it as Wi-Fi/Ethernet in the house. The other is a simple repeater that amplifies 5G/4G/3G/2G signals into house with some intelligence to discriminate on particular frequencies. Both have big markets, do not need to be as power efficient has handset modems, and neither do they need to be powerful in terms of processing. Routing logic is well known. It would take hardly any R&D to develop this product organically. The market is there for this. But I doubt Indian companies will go for this as it requires design effort and is not a SKD assembly of Chinese products.

The other place where Indian companies can make a play is in the smaller core network nodes. Not the big processing nodes like the PDN GW or UDR or similar, but the smaller products like PCF etc. These are control plane nodes, only require signalling and have a well understood and defined logic. All you need is the protocol stack and packaging. The latter is available using open source tools. This is how companies like Mavenir, Affirmed etc broke into the market. There is also tremendous scope in the network analytics area.... we have the skillset, but require some vision and investment and as you rightly said, more pride and confidence!
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Tanaji Sir you are right on the femto/pico/fixed wireless side but there the ASPs are about 100$ for the product and Chinese products by virtue of starting early are dirt cheap. As you are probably aware any chip design single rev can cost you around 30-40million USD(all included manpower, EDA, FAB runs, ATE/PTE qualification, preSi work etc) and who will put in this amount now in India. Saankhya labs did decently well but their management faltered trying to make LCAish aircraft from scratch. As you put we have all the requisite boots on the ground it only needs vision, leadership(top and mid level(more acutely) and money. This Govt is very open and can make policy changes if you ask for it. Here is where i have my grouse with the famed IITs no one wants to make a working chip all they want to work on is network simulator etc and other relatively useless nonsense
csaurabh
BRFite

Post by csaurabh »

Forget about 5G why are we not able to build simple routers, network switches and exchanges for ethernet and Wifi. We are currently importing all telecom equipment ( even simple ones ) from China. How can you expect companies with no experience in telecom tech development to suddenly transition to '5G' when they do not even know the basics.

As for the famed 'IIT gurus', the less said the better, they live in an alternate theoretical fantasy world and have no real connection to India. Aerospace Industry has realized this a while ago and completely sidelined them as they are irrelevant to the developments in aerospace technology in India.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

That's OK
This new paradigm.
Do you want to contribute or criticize from sidelines?
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

U.S. Disappointed as UK's Boris Johnson Gives Huawei Partial 5G Role
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson risked a rift with President Donald Trump as he gave Huawei Technologies Co. the green light to help develop Britain’s next-generation broadband networks.

While the U.K. government announced it will keep what it calls high-risk vendors such as Huawei out of the most sensitive core parts of its 5G mobile networks, the company will be able to supply other equipment that is critical to the roll-out of broadband such as antennas and base stations.

That is a blow to the Trump administration, which wanted Johnson to impose an outright ban on the Shenzhen-based tech giant, citing concerns that its gear could be vulnerable to infiltration by Chinese spies. The two men spoke about the U.K. decision on Tuesday, according to Johnson’s office. American officials had warned the U.S. may be forced to hold back secret intelligence from the U.K. in future, if Johnson pressed ahead with giving Huawei a role. The company has always denied it poses any security risk.

A key pillar of Johnson’s vision for a future outside the world’s richest single market is a trade deal with the U.S. and the Huawei license risks setting up a clash with Trump. On their call on Tuesday, Johnson “underlined the importance of like-minded countries working together to diversify the market and break the dominance of a small number of companies,” his office said.

The initial reaction from Washington was muted.

A senior U.S. administration official expressed disappointment at Johnson’s decision, but also hope that the U.S. and the U.K. could still find some way to exclude components from untrusted vendors in 5G systems in future. Trump himself has yet to comment, and is preparing to announce his Middle East peace plan later Tuesday.

Reactions from Congress were more critical. “Here’s the sad truth: our special relationship is less special now that the U.K. has embraced the surveillance state commies at Huawei,” said Republican Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska.

Republican Senator Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee suggested curtailing intelligence-sharing with any allies whose networks run on the equipment of “untrusted” vendors. “If we have exhausted our carrots with the Brits, it may be time to use a stick,” Blackburn said in a statement. Republican Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas, in a reference to Brexit, said: “I fear London has freed itself from Brussels only to cede sovereignty to Beijing. Allowing Huawei to build the U.K.’s 5G networks today is like allowing the KGB to build its telephone network during the Cold War.”

In London, too, senior members of Johnson’s ruling Conservative Party expressed dismay at his decision. Former party leader Iain Duncan Smith, and ex-cabinet minister David Davis warned of the security risks the Chinese company posed. “The size and complexity, the problem we are trying to protect against, is enormous,” Davis told the House of Commons. “Huawei should be banned from our networks.”

The widely-expected announcement by Johnson’s government is a compromise between the outright ban on Huawei sought by the U.S. and the access sought by telecommunication companies. While it ends months of political wrangling in the U.K., the process remains fraught with peril for Johnson as he prepares to end Britain’s 47 years of European Union membership and plans to negotiate a new trade deal with the U.S.

Market Share

Under the U.K.’s policy, a cap of up to 35% will be imposed on Huawei’s share of the non-sensitive parts of the next-generation networks, such as antennas, masts and even fixed-line fiber-to-the-home components.

High risk vendors, a category which would also include China’s ZTE, which is already banned from the U.K., are also to be “excluded from sensitive geographic locations, such as nuclear sites and military bases.”

The 35% cap will be kept under review and could reduce over time, the government said. The cap is roughly in line with Huawei’s current overall market share in 4G, and Huawei said it was expected and reasonable. U.K. officials said the cap could be reduced over time, and the aim is to work with allies to help develop alternatives and get to a stage where the country doesn’t need to rely on high-risk vendors at all.

However, the cap may mean that phone carriers like BT Group Plc’s EE, Vodafone Group Plc and Three have to rejig their 5G plans to comply. Three, a unit of Hong Kong-based CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd., had been depending on Huawei to deliver the entirety of its 5G radio-access network, with Nokia chosen to provide the core.

Dave Dyson, chief executive officer of Three U.K., said in a statement: “We note the government’s announcement and are reviewing the detail.”

Huawei Reassured

In a statement, Huawei Vice-President Victor Zhang said it was “reassured” that the U.K. will let the company keep working with carriers on 5G.

“This evidence-based decision will result in a more advanced, more secure and more cost-effective telecoms infrastructure that is fit for the future,” he said, committing to build on Huawei’s more than 15 years supplying U.K. telecom operators.

The Confederation of British Industry, the leading business lobby in the country, said “this solution appears a sensible compromise that gives the U.K. access to cutting-edge technology, whilst building in appropriate checks and balances around security.” Vodafone, which uses Huawei in its U.K. radio network, said “we aim to keep any potential disruption to customers to a minimum.”

By curbing Huawei’s access but still allowing the supplier to play a role in 5G, British officials are betting they can manage any security risks at home and still maintain intelligence-sharing ties with the U.S. and other allies.

Johnson discussed Huawei in a phone call with Trump on Friday, and clearly wasn’t swayed by the push for a total ban. The prime minister said the U.K. could have the best of both worlds: retaining access to the best technology while protecting the data of consumers. British security services deem the risks manageable.

For the U.K. timing of its announcement is particularly sensitive. U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, who had warned Johnson’s predecessor not to “wobble” on the issue, is due to visit on Wednesday.

Huawei has been a key supplier to the U.K. and many other European phone networks for over a decade so this decision will be closely watched by others. In fact, many European nations are leaning in the same direction as the U.K.

The EU will publish its own guidelines on Wednesday which give leeway to member states to restrict or ban Huawei without forcing them to do so. According to a draft of the document seen by Bloomberg, countries should consider banning suppliers based in countries with insufficient “democratic checks and balances” from core 5G components.

Canada has also indicated interest in a similarly split decision -- allowing Huawei while also pledging to contain any security risk.

A key concern of the U.S. is that other countries will copy-and-paste the U.K.’s solution, relying on its regulatory system and high level of access to Huawei technology.

“The U.K. model isn’t easily replicated,” warned Ian Levy, technical director of the National Cyber Security Centre, in a blog published alongside the decision. “The approach we’ve come up with for the U.K. is specific to the U.K. context. Others shouldn’t assume they’re getting the same level of protection for modern networks if they do similar things without performing their own analysis.”

The market is broken, he added, because it’s not commercially attractive to build good security into networks.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks like Boris mamu is talking to NaMo.
Under the U.K.’s policy, a cap of up to 35% will be imposed on Huawei’s share of the non-sensitive parts of the next-generation networks, such as antennas, masts and even fixed-line fiber-to-the-home components.

High risk vendors, a category which would also include China’s ZTE, which is already banned from the U.K., are also to be “excluded from sensitive geographic locations, such as nuclear sites and military bases.”

The 35% cap will be kept under review and could reduce over time, the government said. The cap is roughly in line with Huawei’s current overall market share in 4G, and Huawei said it was expected and reasonable. U.K. officials said the cap could be reduced over time, and the aim is to work with allies to help develop alternatives and get to a stage where the country doesn’t need to rely on high-risk vendors at all.

However, the cap may mean that phone carriers like BT Group Plc’s EE, Vodafone Group Plc and Three have to rejig their 5G plans to comply. Three, a unit of Hong Kong-based CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd., had been depending on Huawei to deliver the entirety of its 5G radio-access network, with Nokia chosen to provide the core.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

^^^ indeed.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For techies --- IIT Kanpur is conducting an 8 day Course on Latest MIMO Technologies for 5G Networks from April 18 to 25, 2020. This 8-day course focusing on the key signal processing and optimization strategies for 5G MIMO wireless networks based on the latest Massive MIMO, mmWave MIMO, NOMA, Cooperative Communication, Cognitive Radio, and IoT technologies. .. There were some earlier "workshops" and lot of online material specially for Indian context.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

-del-
Last edited by vishvak on 01 Feb 2020 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Here Prof. Abhay Karandikar ( Director IIT Kanpur) shares his views on the status of #5G spectrum in India. He is a member of the High Level Forum for 5G India 2020...
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

AmberGJi and other Gurus, I know this thread is more about policy, but may I request some help. I have been reading a lot of buzz lately on why 5G will facilitate IoT edge computing, particularly for manufacturing and smart factory application where issues like security, low latency etc are of paramount importance. However, not able to lay my hands on any document or video that succinctly explains what is it about 5G that meets all these challenges. I am looking for some collateral that explains what features of 5G come into play here. Any suggestions?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Amber G. wrote:For techies --- IIT Kanpur is conducting an 8 day Course on Latest MIMO Technologies for 5G Networks from April 18 to 25, 2020. This 8-day course focusing on the key signal processing and optimization strategies for 5G MIMO wireless networks based on the latest Massive MIMO, mmWave MIMO, NOMA, Cooperative Communication, Cognitive Radio, and IoT technologies. .. There were some earlier "workshops" and lot of online material specially for Indian context.
Can you share link saar?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile some what related -- Big announcement about Quantum Computing -- While many of the news stories seem to equate the Mission on Quantum Tech and Applications announced today with Quantum Computing, the mission will have several components-- communication, cryptography, sensors, imaging, algorithms, materials and devices of various kinds, and yes, also computing!

Quantum is about the many challanges and opportunities of tomorrow.

Budget 2020 proposes measures to boost data, quantum tech
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

CRamS wrote:
Amber G. wrote:For techies --- IIT Kanpur is conducting an 8 day Course on Latest MIMO Technologies for 5G Networks from April 18 to 25, 2020. This 8-day course focusing on the key signal processing and optimization strategies for 5G MIMO wireless networks based on the latest Massive MIMO, mmWave MIMO, NOMA, Cooperative Communication, Cognitive Radio, and IoT technologies. .. There were some earlier "workshops" and lot of online material specially for Indian context.
Can you share link saar?
http://www.iitk.ac.in/mwn/latest5G/index.html
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1621691/business-economy
[But industry watchers claim that fulfilling the increased demand left by market leader Huawei may not be straightforward.
Huawei is widely seen as providing the most advanced 5G for the super-fast data transfers, necessary for self-driving cars and remote-controlled robots in factories or operating theaters.
“A discussion needs to take place about Huawei’s perceived leadership position, and how ready Nokia and Ericsson are to step up to that over the next three-year period,” Howett said.
“Can they give network operators the equipment they need in the timescale?”
Last year Nokia downgraded its 2020 earnings forecast in the face of fierce competition over the 5G networks market, while chief executive Rajeev Suri played down the firm’s delays in delivering some equipment orders.
Any difficulties in meeting demand will be felt by European consumers, said smartphone analyst Neil Mawston of Strategy Analytics.
“Restricting Huawei kit from the network potentially means the cost of 5G will be slightly higher and the rollout slightly slower,” Mawston said
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

I dont really see a wide applicability use case that 5G will satisfy and cannot be satisfied by LTE-A. The Ultra Reliable Low Latency(URLLC) feature is applicable for robot enabled factory floors. Beyond that, it is somewhat useful for operators in the sense that they can burst more data on the last mile and service more customers with the existing backhaul(most cellular networks(LTE-A) are in fact backhaul limited) capacity. Upgrading backhauls is very capital intensive and time consuming(although there is some work on wireless backhauls but still not on scale). IF someone brings in mmWave spectrum and projects BW availability of 100MHz and above my simple advice to them is to go take a walk in the park. Best case is sub6 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz or 5.2 to 6GHz. When compared with LTE what 5G does is switches to a flexible Transmission/REception timeline with the same underlying guts as LTE. For instance the TTI goes down from 1ms to 200us(125/65 us) and further lower(in works) and achieves some reduction in overhead from cell specific pilots(making C-RS on demand and transmit broadcast on need). Massive MIMO etc(beam detection, steering and management) is a pain and the ranges on mmWave are hardly 300ft. It is a good marketing makeup but India could have done better in terms of developing the technologies which would have come of use elsewhere(GaN RX frontends). BTW, our IIT champs lesser said the better, ISRO guys are the only sensible lot