Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by disha »

UlanBatori wrote:285 people on a spacious cruise ship that took immediate precautions, is a huge number. If that many students on a campus caught the disease it would be a major disaster. It does sound like this thing is ****EXTREMELY*** contagious. Must LOVE humans, esp. Chinese ppl but may mutate to love others as well as their taste evolves.
Saar, have you wondered how NoroVirus spreads on cruise ships? They are closed containers with a single outbreak spreading like wild fire. Like this one: https://abcnews.go.com/US/270-cruise-sh ... d=60291868

And Norovirus is not even air-borne.

Oh, BTW cruise ships are not spacious. Every sq. inch is purposed to maximize revenue.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Amber G. wrote:
disha wrote:Could not they do a PCR test?
To be fair the PCR test kits are/were in short supply ... there were glitches even in US.
Yeah, but the person was multi-millionaire with private yacht and what not. And got treatment in "top of line" S'Gpore hospital. So if the top of line S'Gpore hospital cannot have one PCR kit in the entire hospital then we are all doomed anyway!

My point is simple: ChiComs made a situation go from not-so-bad to bad to worse and now doing all the showboating and shadowboxing and grandstanding to show how they are fighting such a terrible terrible infection.

If there was a black swan, it is not the nCovId virus that is deadly. It is the reaction of the ChiCom that has become deadly. Here the super-powah cheen is running around like a nanga-poonga (naked) headless chicken.

People need to realize the Indian response to swine flu in 2009-2010. https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/india ... 68953.html & https://web.archive.org/web/20091112151 ... gical.html & 'wikipedia pe paadh lo' (read it on wikipedia)
India saw its worst outbreak of swine flu back in 2009-10, when the infection affected over 50,000 people and killed around 2,700.
India did a very calm and brave response and contained it. No grandstanding and showboating like ChiComs.
Last edited by disha on 16 Feb 2020 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The sulfur dioxide cloud was only seen very temporarily, hain? I am confused. Also, the cruise ship norovirus appears to me to have been due to everyone eating / drinking the same contaminated food, then touching surfaces that others touched. Sudden.

But with the nCOV they SEEM to be taking all sorts of precautions. I may be wrong: never been on a cruise ship. Maybe they feed them like a herd of cattle or pigs - several parallel lines? So contamination at one point is enough.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

UlanBatori wrote: But with the nCOV they SEEM to be taking all sorts of precautions. I may be wrong: never been on a cruise ship. Maybe they feed them like a herd of cattle or pigs - several parallel lines? So contamination at one point is enough.
Keyword is "they SEEM to be taking all sorts of precautions".

Like the doctors who initially reported it get 'disappeared', since the H&D of Winnie the pooh - Eleven ping-ping is at stake! Or total denial of cases spiraling out of control. Or building hospitals to get infected in a central place and then spreading more infections from there. Or fumigating cities to kill viruses.

On the cruise ship, there is only one common galley that serves food through multiple outlets. Just like an internet with switches and routers and a common backbone. Highly efficient for transmission and distribution. I think of the galley as the superconductor of bacteria & viruses. The second conductor is all the elevators and gangways. And the third conductor is a common swimming pool and play areas.
Last edited by disha on 16 Feb 2020 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

sudarshan wrote: Again, a different viewpoint, one which may explain Xi's panic.

https://www.eurotopics.net/en/234000/me ... oronavirus
The virus has put the Chinese president in a tight spot, but it's not one he can't wriggle out of, Népszava believes:

“The coronavirus poses a much greater threat to China's leadership than the demonstrations in Hong Kong or the election results in Taiwan. This time, it can't be denied that the crisis originated and is centred in China. There can be no pinning the blame on obscure, hostile external forces . ... China's President senses this danger. The proof is that he's striking back and personally taking control of the fight against the epidemic. But no doubt he'll fall back on old strategies and find a few people in the middle or even upper echelons of power who can be used as scapegoats.”
Let's judge this developing story by facts and numbers, not necessarily by the panicked actions of Chinese authorities.
I posted the above on page 1 of this thread. Xi might simply be protecting his testimonials.

Yuck a swimming pool on a cruise ship. Might as well swim in one's own commode (if it were big enough).
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Or Xi's chamchas are showboating to protect their own testimonials. Xi will take this opportunity to exert even more control. Like he has replaced the "governor" of Wuhan with his own acolyte.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

American diagnosed with virus in Malaysia

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14232

another cruise ship the westerdam was roming around for 14 days as no port was ready to accept them. they had picked up 800 odd passengers from HK about a 10 days ago. finally, Cambodia let them dock and half the passengers have left.

now with this diagnosis the other half will be quarantined on this ship. there must be Indians as crew on this ship as well.

looking at these cruise ships looks like the virus is spreading very fast. the chineese official sources are making it seem as a problem restricted to Wuhan/ Hubei province. is there a city wide breakdown from middle kingdom ?

this will get a lot worse in the comming weeks.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

">>>
It does sound like this thing is extremely contagious
Was posted before here too...
How contagious is the Wuhan Coronavirus? ((What is R0))
(The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus.
(Of course, it depends on surrounding, people's habits etc... but, still it is meaningful)

WHO's estimated (on Jan. 23) Ro => between 1.4 and 2.5
Other studies have estimated a Ro between 3.6 and 4.0, and between 2.24 to 3.58
Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5

For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0...

Meanwhile some comparison:

Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from FLU This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

SARS (November 2002 to July 2003): was a coronavirus that originated from Beijing, China, spread to 29 countries, and resulted in 8,096 people infected with 774 deaths (fatality rate of 9.6%).
MERS (in 2012) killed 858 people out of the 2,494 infected (fatality rate of 34.4%).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:
madhu wrote: Can this be due to double infection. Say person got cured but got reinfected before conformation of cure.
This is what quite a few people have pointed out - and according to them, it is entirely possible (IMO likely) with the methods they used.. (Paper is still not published in peer-reviewed journal - it is a Medarxive pre-print)
(Authors have worked 12+ hours shift and then did writing etc..so these papers may not be perfect)
Update: The WHO said in a press conference (Noting that the paper was not peer-reviewed but still important)
- A very long incubation period could reflect a double exposure.
- 24 days represented an outlier observation that must be taken into consideration in the context of the main finding of the study.
- WHO is not considering changing recommendations regarding incubation periods.(14 days still stands as official)
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Atmavik wrote:American diagnosed with virus in Malaysia

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14232

another cruise ship the westerdam was roming around for 14 days as no port was ready to accept them. they had picked up 800 odd passengers from HK about a 10 days ago. finally, Cambodia let them dock and half the passengers have left.

now with this diagnosis the other half will be quarantined on this ship. there must be Indians as crew on this ship as well.

looking at these cruise ships looks like the virus is spreading very fast. the chineese official sources are making it seem as a problem restricted to Wuhan/ Hubei province. is there a city wide breakdown from middle kingdom ?

this will get a lot worse in the comming weeks.
We've seen from the airline shutdowns (inside and outside China) and the shutdown of economic activity in political and commercial hubs Shanghai and Beijing that Cheen is already treating this as a nationwide problem.

This is an entire nation in lockdown. I don't think a city by city count even matters anymore. One, even if they gave us a count no one would believe anyways. Two, if the metros in Beijing and Shanghai are empty, the whole country has basically quarantined itself not just Wuhan or Hubei.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Could it be that shutting up people is exactly the wrong approach - like in Andromeda Strain they discovered almost too late that the virus was seeking warmth, so heating it would have wiped out the world?

Two points:
1) it occurs in winter when ppl are mostly indoors
2) it spreads when people are in "quarantine" (I think, based on cruise ship observation).

OTOH, i would not want to be the Comrade who orders people to do outdoor calisthenics as remedy for pneumonia, and mingle in the Malls - leading to 100 million deaths. Of course I would be dead too, one way or the other. Is getting shot by a firing squad worse than coughing and asphyxiating with pneumonia?

I still note that hardly any cases have been reported from Russia. They HAVE been screening cheen-returned people (hoopla about them barging into apt of a cheen-returned 12-year old and forcibly testing her without her mother around).

Q.E.D. on Vodkaya Namaha? OR IS RUSSIA TOO COLD FOR THE VIRUS? Hardly any in Canadastan or Scandinavia either.

Maybe feed people lots of ice cream mixed with vodka?
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Global Times update from Hubei province around 6.30 pm (16/02/20) local time.
"The real inflection point [of the COVID19 outbreak] has come. Over the past 5 days, the number of fever cases has dropped. It is like a downward slope. It's not coming back, I'm confident: head of Leishenshan Hospital specializing in treating COVID19 patients in Wuhan said to media".
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

UlanBatori wrote:Wow! Look at these Spray Trucks.

Looks like in china the time from Need Identified to Innovative Engineering Product Deployed in Streets is like 4 weeks? 3 weeks?
THIS is the scary number, guys. Compare to desh... :shock: The Chinese are operating at better-than-WW2 pace of innovation.

Saar, if we do alterations of truck fumigators here and photos posted, it will be termed as "chalta-hai jugaad" by you. As someone posted above, all these foggers are used by our municipal corporations here, but due to funds issue and complaints about its respiratory effects, is not used at that scale as in China. The scrubbing of sidewalks and walls is also baffling, unless those are places where people stood in queues for treatment. You cant scrub an entire city with harsh chemicals and not get your entire landscape contaminated for years. I suspect they want to make it look like they are hard at work, so Xi wont lose face and wont eat their faces later.

We too do all these McGuyver things, but difference is the entire civil society will also contribute. I have been in two major disaster zones - Latur '93 and Central Kerala '18. I have better perspective of 2018 due to being in middle of action, because the other one, I was a volunteer that went in a week or two later. The number of innovations I saw from across society during 2018 floods are mind boggling. From using traditional fishing boats with outboard engines for SAR to using gelf hair-dryer based spray equipment for cleanup, the entire public contributed. A friend, who runs a scuba dive center at kovalam, has used his dive instructors (from around the world), to do dam and bridge inspections, using equipment supplied by a local government testing lab. My old college started a small DIY production line for basic LED strip + battery lighting (lasts for 8 hours), for rescuers. Kids soldered on for hours, while others made them waterproof. The Chekutty dolls for fundraising is another initiative..... Many such things come to mind when you claim "Compare to desh... :shock:". And every political party was in the thick of action, despite crappy politics at top level. Infact state level A-list politicians got pushed around or slapped without much fanfare, if they talk shyte on TV by playing politics. At a camp, I was witness to a regular talking head who almost got de-dhotied over some comments he said previous day on TV.

That is why I am confused as to why they need to weld-in or boardup peaceful civilians and make their homes into a catacomb of death? Doesn't anyone in their officialdom or medical profession or political leadership explain in a convincing fashion on why they need to say inside? I am yet to see pictures of large numbers of civilians doing useful things around the city. Every photo (govt sources or otherwise) shows officialdom prominently, than civilians organizing themselves and the civilians are standing miserably in queues, not in action. Here in India, if so many people are already cured or symptoms were very mild, rest assured quite a few of them would be out helping the rest and post messages asking for more help. Fund raising for affected, another marker of the levels of social involvement and empathy, seem either unreported or non-existent. I wish to believe it is the former

Many posters here are backslapping the chinese for doing things right, which in effect is backslapping a totalitarian government for hiding up of bungling till world started poking its nose in, by threatening a pseudo-sanction of China, by closing borders. I feel their public is dejected and is in a terrible condition. And no one will be allowed to help them, because the image "mind your own business, they have first world infra", seem to be the overwhelming one in our minds!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

hain, let it not b said that PeeAref cruelly bissed on the gleat PeeAllSee in its hour of trouble. Also, last heard, nCOV was embarking on grobar tlavers, so no groating prease.

Questions :eek: about Eleven's Takeover of nCOV (IOW, his VP whom he sent to Woohan Wet Market, is now incommunicado?)
Speaking of Spin Management NOW do ppl c y the "Number of Cases Shot Up"? (so it can be shown to be coming down, duh!!) Got to give them marks for media management if nothing else.

See above. Soon, anyone who even mutters "nover colona vilus" will be immediately recruited to Gobi Conclete Mixing And Lock Blaking Qualantine.
The publication of the Feb. 3 speech was an apparent attempt to demonstrate that the Communist Party leadership had acted decisively from the beginning, but also opens Xi up to criticism over why the public was not alerted sooner. :rotfl: (what 4?)
In the speech, Xi said he gave instructions on fighting the virus on Jan. 7 and ordered the shutdown that began on Jan. 23 of cities at the epicenter of the outbreak. His remarks were published by state media late Saturday.
“On Jan. 22, in light of the epidemic’s rapid spread and the challenges of prevention and control, I made a clear request that Hubei province implement comprehensive and stringent controls over the outflow of people," Xi told a meeting of the party's standing committee, its top body.

The number of new cases in mainland China fell for a third straight day, China's National Health Commission reported Sunday. The 2,009 new cases in the previous 24-hour period brought the total to 68,500.

Commission spokesman Mi Feng said the percentage of severe cases has dropped to 7.2% of the total from a peak of 15.9% on Jan. 27. The proportion is higher in Wuhan, the Hubei city where the outbreak started, but has fallen to 21.6% from a peak of 32.4% on Jan. 28.

“The national efforts against the epidemic have shown results," Mi said at
If u recall, "serious case" means "Onry 95% die"
Last edited by UlanBatori on 16 Feb 2020 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

I'd say they aren't stupid, but the 1800 micrograms per meter cube concentration of SO2 was real. My guess is, the ****** politburo decided they would use whatever they had on hand would serve the purpose. With the Wuhan Iron and Steel Plant and co-located Power Plant, there is almost certainly a factory nearby to process the Sulfur byproducts from the former two plants, with the concomitant large inventory of sulfur compounds. Stupid is as a Chinese Mandarin does.
disha wrote:
Arun.prabhu wrote:Or they were using sodium metabisulfite or some other sulfur based reducing bleach or reducing agent.
Where is a facepalm or head banging against brick wall icon when one needs it?

Just check this flyer on sodium metabisulfite out -> https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1708.pdf
Na2S205 can irritate nose, lungs and throat causing coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath
So there you go. Why hundered of thousands of chinese are now reporting that they are suffering from nCovId induced pneumonia when they were simply breathing in all the Na2S205 by the kilo grams! Have to give it to ChiComs on how to create a problem and metastasize it further.

You go ahead and spray it twice a day across your entire city. Several will get more than the minimum daily limit of 5 mg/cu-mtr/8-hr. Every 12 hours, the chicoms go and gas their cities!!! :eek:

And we come here and make a song and dance about it and sing hosannas to their remarkable industrial ability.

Disclaimer: The video by south china post looks impressive. Can somebody guarantee that it is for the entire 8000+ sq km (incl. the sub-provincial city areas of wuhan) and not just a few city blocks?
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

A brave man with a death wish. I like how the professor wonders aloud if internal politics wouldn’t solve the problem of the supreme leader, which is a fancy way of saying “dear leader slips in his bath, breaks his neck and commits suicide by shooting himself in the back with six or seven caliber guns a few hundred times and he was like a father unto all of us and we are all sad.”

http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opin ... comes-fear
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^^ Bisulfite spray and SO2 clouds: But note that they had got the people out (or probably did) b4 mass "de-lousing" operations like Hitler/Goering schemes.
I think it is wrong to think that Cheen people are any less "outspoken" than any Corporate employee in say Yoo Ess, CERTAINLY Lion-Citystan, and much of Indian MNCs. In fact they are a lot **MORE** outspoken. The worst "thou shalt not speak" dhimmis in the world today are MNC employees - OK, scratch that, it's US school-teachers. Remember, these cheen are ALL now "1-child" munnas, no need to say, "Oh, let my little brother have that candy!" I am surprised that people here seem to have no experience of dealing with current-gen cheen? VERY different from previous gen who went through Cultural Revolution etc. So Eleven is walking on thin ice and very aware of it.

A few ppl may have died of the SO2. No worse than happens every day in the Apple and Huawai sweatshops, or just breathing the natural fresh air of Shanghai on any given workday.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Arun.prabhu wrote:A brave man with a death wish. :eek: :shock:
U mean he is still alive? Now **THAT*** is written by a 1-child gen person. He's already been "demoted" I see. What would happen to someone who wrote something like that in the open about say, Bezos, from inside Amazon? Walton from inside War Malt? Apple mgmt from inside Apple?
OTOH, consider that he is writing still from Beijing. Obvious plant. Like Atty Jarnail Barr criticizigng Chairman Don.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 16 Feb 2020 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

hnair wrote: Many posters here are backslapping the chinese for doing things right, which in effect is backslapping a totalitarian government for hiding up of bungling till world started poking its nose in, by threatening a pseudo-sanction of China, by closing borders. I feel their public is dejected and is in a terrible condition. And no one will be allowed to help them, because the image "mind your own business, they have first world infra", seem to be the overwhelming one in our minds!
To be honest, I doubt anyone is backslapping them for bungling the beginning. That's been ridiculed by everyone.

What we are backslapping them for about is for putting themselves in quarantine in the aftermath. Considering the deaths outside Cheen is so far only a handful (5?) I am very grateful.

I am glad they say "mind your business" and handle this on this on their own. Or you rather they have no control and we have a surge of diseased chinis to the borders?

This is a very good thing. As long as the deaths are in cheen I could less how they are handled or covered up.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

The professor is 57 years old. He was a child during the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution. He admits in his article this might very well be his last published work, which I take to mean he’s made his peace with God. I doubt we’ll ever find out what happened to him. Or we’ll hear he sadly died of the disease himself.
UlanBatori wrote:
Arun.prabhu wrote:A brave man with a death wish. :eek: :shock:
U mean he is still alive? Now **THAT*** is written by a 1-child gen person. He's already been "demoted" I see. What would happen to someone who wrote something like that in the open about say, Bezos, from inside Amazon? Walton from inside War Malt? Apple mgmt from inside Apple?
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Risk of coronovirus infection by race/ethnicity depending on the presence of ACE-2 receptors by race
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^^ Vodkastan totally missing!!
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Arun.prabhu wrote:The professor is 57 years old. He was a child during the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution. He admits in his article this might very well be his last published work, which I take to mean he’s made his peace with God. I doubt we’ll ever find out what happened to him. Or we’ll hear he sadly died of the disease himself.
UlanBatori wrote: U mean he is still alive? Now **THAT*** is written by a 1-child gen person. He's already been "demoted" I see. What would happen to someone who wrote something like that in the open about say, Bezos, from inside Amazon? Walton from inside War Malt? Apple mgmt from inside Apple?
He's a brave man. But do we want him to succeed? A freer Cheen means a more efficient competitor and less pressure from Unkil and West.

Pooh Bear Xi is doing a good job hindering the chini economy as the good doctor says. So we should root for Pooh not the good doctor if we are Chanakya-n (instead of Gandhian) about it.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

WTH?! Tamil and Telagu right after the Hans and Japs?
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

ldev wrote:Risk of coronovirus infection by race/ethnicity depending on the presence of ACE-2 receptors by race
Is this a real list or a parody list? What does it mean when it says a 'Gujarati from Houston, TX'? Racially, how are they different from a Gujrati down I-10 in Lousiania, just a hundred miles away. Then you see 'a Telugu from UK'. How did the Telugu change in UK that is different from a Telugu in Netherlands or US, or India? Then you have 'Bengalis from Bangladesh- WTF is that. :eek: DId the population in Bangladesh have a evolve a different RNA somehow, which did not not happen in Didi-land where the border is 10 miles away? What about all those illegals who are now in India. Should they be looked at with greater caution, as opposed to Bangali in Jalpaiguri or Kalimpong. Weird. If any of this this true, it might have implications for CAA and NPR registries.

Added later: It gets funnier. It says 'Punjabi from LAhore'. REminds me of the saying by the good doc 'Jo Lahore mein ***** , woh London mein....'. This looks like there is a basis in biology to it. :-o .
Last edited by SriKumar on 16 Feb 2020 22:17, edited 3 times in total.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

The professor is just a tool of history in action. He may hope and pray but remember, Mao tse tsung was responsible for thirty million deaths or more with the Great Leap Forward and the cultural revolution and nothing happened to him.

Personally, I’m undecided on the subject. If Xi holds on to power, China will still be burdened by the strategic shape of their geography, by their screwed up economy, and whatnot. Rivers of blood may have to be shed, but I don’t see the chinese “superman” Winning. When you have to import energy, controlling the factories means bupkiss at end of day. OTOH, a Chinese civil war will not end in a year. Historically, they have these periodic civil wars and they are divided for decades before someone takes over and then the bureaucracy cheats and steals as the Confucian bureaucrat is wont and the Chinese cultural imperative drives them to until the peons decide they have had enough and rise up. This is chinese history for the last two thousand years. The barbarism we see - the organ harvesting from live political prisoners, the treatment of political prisoners etc - is also deeply embedded in their culture. The battle of changping when Qin general Bai Qi executes 450,000 prisoners of war after his victory is one of the greatest atrocities ever. At a time when the total human population was between 150-330 million, the general ordered half a million military age men put to death to inflict a mortal wound on his liege’s main challenger for supremacy. To the Chinese mind, if you aren’t part of the group, you are subhuman and entirely expendable and a resource to be exploited - organs, wealth, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Changping
chola wrote:
Arun.prabhu wrote:The professor is 57 years old. He was a child during the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution. He admits in his article this might very well be his last published work, which I take to mean he’s made his peace with God. I doubt we’ll ever find out what happened to him. Or we’ll hear he sadly died of the disease himself.
He's a brave man. But do we want him to succeed? A freer Cheen means a more efficient competitor and less pressure from Unkil and West.

Pooh Bear Xi is doing a good job hindering the chini economy as the good doctor says. So we should root for Pooh not the good doctor if we are Chanakya-n (instead of Gandhian) about it.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

Thanks. This shows percentage of population with the receptors. What I read elsewhere is that the density of receptors in Indians inside the body is 20% less as well, for want of a better description.. The Africans and middle easterners have very low ACE2 counts. There should be far less of the most serious cases in India.
ldev wrote:Risk of coronovirus infection by race/ethnicity depending on the presence of ACE-2 receptors by race
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

RohitH
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RohitH »

Homeopathy drug Arsenicum album 30 as prophylactic medicine for prevention of infection

http://pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=121184&sid=1
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

rohithome wrote:Homeopathy drug Arsenicum album 30 as prophylactic medicine for prevention of infection
http://pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=121184&sid=1
It is pure quackery. What kind of rigorous testing has been done on it? I know it hasn't been tested because there is no active ingredient in the little white pills other than sugar.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

SriKumar wrote: Is this a real list or a parody list? What does it mean when it says a 'Gujarati from Houston, TX'? Racially, how are they different from a Gujrati down I-10 in Lousiania, just a hundred miles away......
My guess is that since the source is the 1000 Genomes project, the "Gujarati from Houston, TX" was the actual person whose genes were mapped and so on....It will of course have no bearing if the Gujarati is from Houston, TX or from Ahmedabad. :D
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Thanks. :D . The 'Punjabi from Lahore' description was hilarious. Looks like I've internalized BRF memes now. If I read President Musharraf,I cannot control my laughter- it only means President Butt to me (Butt is a bona fide surname BTW, :D ).

General comment:
On a serious note,I saw a post about infection rates with many values published by WHO.
Clearly the infection rate will change once people wise up and quarantine is enforced. And since controlled experiments are not possible in human cases. I think WHO should have atleast indicated which infection rates is prior to and which is after quarantine. The rate prior to quarantine is relevant for many countries including India where China-like controls are not possible. And this is clearly a highly infectious disease.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

That much talked about hospital built... leaks like a sieve. ROTFLOL

https://twitter.com/IsChinar/status/1228670320455962625
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

anmol wrote: :shock: :eek:
Anmolji, do u have an inside track on the CT sources? Going to Kublai Khan Wet Market across from Ulan Bator Center for Pet Bats to buy bottled water.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

London plague saying:
Eat, drink and be merry
For tomorrow u die!

I think population went UP due to the plague, until the Great Fire burned many of the drunken carousers to death.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Per anmolji, cheen Science is very efficient. CDC Wet Lab located across from Wet Market. Buy ur experiment across the street at 9AM, take ur experiment home for dinner at 5PM!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile, for those of us who travel: CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China. (This is only for mainland China and does not apply to HongKong, Macau, or the island of Taiwan - they say :!: .)