Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
sajo
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by sajo »

In Spite of super close collaboration and the Butt caressing of the Hans by the Bakis, they seem to have reported a surprisingly low number of cases. 21 so far.
If the Italy numbers are to go by, Porkistan should have been a disaster waiting to happen thanks to its active chinese colonisation. What gives?
VikramA
BRFite

Post by VikramA »

The same reason as US. No testing
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

So presumably, they must have one of the highest number of infected cases, along with fatalities as well. Its all being Doosra Banda'd by the Bakis.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Is Wuhan some kind of a special city in China with great universities and people with highly specialized and technical skill sets. If so, why should they spend their time in terroristan, wont they prefer Italy, Germany or France or even Japan, Korea, Vladivostok instead were they work in specialized sectors which require their skill sets and from where they can pass on sensitive info back home.

My feeling is only those Chinese go to terrroistan who are the utter dregs of society or have multiple cases pending against them and cannot travel freely inside China or are prisoners serving sentences. This crowd need not necessarily be from Wuhan.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Some of the Chinese people just made a timeline of #WuhanVirus

Source:https://pincong.rocks/article/15612

Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

chetak wrote:
Lisa wrote:Does anyone have information on vaccines, design, manufacture, time to market etc or for that matter reliable and easy to understand links?

Please. Thank you.
could try to get and send you some books if you want
Chetakji,

A very kind offer that I will with regret decline. I read with difficulty, I am dyslexic. Nevertheless, Thank You.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:
chetak wrote:
could try to get and send you some books if you want
Chetakji,

A very kind offer that I will with regret decline. I read with difficulty, I am dyslexic. Nevertheless, Thank You.

Sorry to hear this, Lisa ji.

Take care
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Those having medical insurance policy in India, covering hospitalization, may note that IRDA has instructed the insurance companies to include the medical cover for COVID 19 irrespective of the type of policy.

chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Had to be said.

Complaining about how China covered up the disease doesn't do me any good. China was in lockdown more than a month before Italy exploded and now the US.

The US had weeks to prepare and I thought the early moves to ban flights and foreign nationals from Cheen and other parts of Asia were good. But then it undid all of that by leaving the backdoor open to Europe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/opin ... china.html

China Bought the West Time. The West Squandered It.

Why did so many countries watch the epidemic unfold for weeks as though it was none of their concern?

By Ian Johnson
Mr. Johnson is a writer based in Beijing.
March 13, 2020

LONDON — When I got off my flight from Beijing to London nearly two weeks ago, I knew what I had to do: go straight into self-quarantine.

But as the plane approached London, a sense of unreality set in. The airline distributed a cheaply printed sheet that only advised us to call the usual National Health Service hotline if we felt ill. On arrival, there was no temperature check and no health statement — meaning that British officials would have had no easy way to track us if one of us came down with Covid-19. Instead, we just walked off the plane, took off our face masks and disappeared into the city.

Outsiders seem to want to view China’s experiences as uniquely its own. I imagine there are many reasons for this, including the comforting idea that China is far away and an epidemic over there surely couldn’t really spread so far and so fast over here. More than anything, though, I think that outsiders, especially in the West, fixate on China’s authoritarian political system, and that makes them discount the possible value and relevance of its decisions to them.

Arguing against these interpretations makes me a bit queasy. I realize that Chinese officials covered up the problem in late December and early January — a disastrous series of decisions. And I know that now China’s leaders want to sell their heavy-handed methods as exemplary. President Xi Jinping made his first visit to Wuhan on Tuesday, an implicit marker of success.

Yet it would be foolish to believe that China’s decisions have been mainly based on crude authoritarianism. One needn’t defend every one of its measures on medical grounds; those are matters that health care professionals might debate for years to come. But it’s worth acknowledging that not all of China’s failings are unique to its political system, and that some of its policies were motivated by serious concern for the public good and executed by a highly competent civil service.

For example, before condemning the decision of Chinese officials in early January to dismiss the threat of a looming epidemic, remember that at that time the coronavirus was not reported to have caused any deaths. Contrast this with, say, the United States today: Despite having had a free flow of information for weeks and witnessed thousands of deaths in China as evidence, parts of America’s political establishment — including at the White House — have pushed a disinformation campaign to downplay the risk.

And if you think it’s too easy to criticize President Trump, remember my airport experience in London. Or consider Germany’s decision earlier this week to hold a mass sporting event in the middle of its outbreak zone. Or Japan’s decision to let people walk off an infected cruise ship without proper testing. Some of these countries are now backpedaling, trying to explain away their blasé attitudes, but that’s weeks late.

China’s leaders did fumble at the very start, yet in short order they acted far more decisively than many democratically elected leaders have to date. Authoritarian or not, they also want the public’s approval. Chinese leaders may not face voters, but they, too, care about legitimacy, and that hinges on performance for them as well.

And while some in the West fixated on how China’s system failed to stem the outbreak at first, they were ignoring the aspects of it that worked. There’s nothing authoritarian about checking temperatures at airports, enforcing social distancing or offering free medical care to anyone with Covid-19.

Not all open societies have fumbled. Singapore, Taiwan and perhaps soon enough South Korea, have moved forcefully but sensibly to contain the virus, showing the sort of savvy that seems to be missing in large swaths of the West. Maybe it’s because these countries are close enough to the center of the outbreak that their governments could recognize its seriousness, while also being wary of China’s sledgehammer measures.

But too many countries further afield have stood by, watching for weeks what was unfolding in China, and then elsewhere in Asia, as though it was none of their concern. Some governments have dithered for lack of political will. Some seem to fall prey, still, to a perception of China as the eternal “other,” whose experience couldn’t possibly be relevant to us, much less provide any lessons — other than in what not to do.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Higher ups in power corridor is taking note of each and every new development and working very pro actively.
Good to see such well oiled GOI machinery :D

Pharma department tells companies to step up manufacture of anti-HIV drugs
BY TEENA THACKER, ET BUREAU | UPDATED: MAR 13, 2020, 08.15 AM IST

NEW DELHI: With Covid-19 spreading and Indian experts saying they will take at least 1.5 years to develop a vaccine, the government has asked major pharma companies that manufacture HIV combination drugs Lopinavir and Ritonavir (which seem to be working against Covid-19) to ramp up their production and keep stock ready for emergency use, people in the know told ET.

At a meeting held with the manufacturers on Wednesday, a committee of experts constituted by the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP) asked companies such as Cipla, Mylan, Aurobindo and Hetero, among others, to evaluate supply chain and keep enough stock ready for India.

Lopinavir and Ritonavir are antiretrovirals (ARVs) that block the ability of HIV to bind with healthy cells and reproduce, and are often used in combination to treat HIV. “India exports these antiretrovirals mostly to African countries.

Manufacturers were called as we wanted to ensure that in case of any emergency, there shouldn’t be any shortage in the country,” said a government official. There are no plans to restrict export as of now.

India has already used the Lopinavir/Ritonavir combination, a second-line HIV medication, to treat an Italian couple who had tested positive for Covid-19 infection, in Jaipur last month. “It was used on compassionate grounds. The medication was given to them after taking their consent,” said Dr Balram Bhargava, DG, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The couple was administered the combination after they developed severe respiratory problems.

“The antiretroviral combination was given to them for 14 days and they are much better now,” said another government official. As reported by ET earlier, ICMR had received approval from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) to allow the lopinavir/ritonavir combination — approved for AIDS treatment — to be used if Covid-19 infections turn into a public health emergency in India. There is currently no known treatment for Covid-19.

An expert committee was constituted by ICMR which is deliberating on the new treatment protocol for dealing with Covid-19. “There are no large studies done so far on the treatment of Covid-19.

However, as an alternative, ICMR has recommend these drugs for treatment,” said a senior health ministry official. A randomised controlled clinical trial is underway in China to test the anti-HIV drugs’ efficacy, as per a study published on January 24 in The Lancet. “Results are likely to come in a few weeks,” said Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist, WHO.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 601606.cms
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Looking at the sudden rise in cases in US return indians, I am sure US has bigger problems than Italy but just not yet tested.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Uddhav Thackarey announces closure of Gyms, malls, pools, movie theaters in Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The Chinese should be sanctioned, if they don't close the wildlife market.

The CCP is responsible, because it promotes it through a offical law.

vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

This was just a month and a half ago. India was right and Cheen was wrong!
As usual Cheen was trying to bully India. Spread this far and wide.

Beijing irked over India's advisory for citizens against travel to China
FEB 02 2020, 08:35AM IST UPDATED: FEB 02 2020, 08:35AM IST

Beijing has conveyed to New Delhi its displeasure over the advisory India issued earlier this week asking its citizens to refrain from travelling to China in view of the novel coronavirus outbreak in the communist country.

Talking to External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar over phone, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi noted that the World Health Organization had not recommended restrictions on trading with or travelling to China. “At yesterday's briefing on the novel coronavirus outbreak, the WHO does not recommend travel or trade restrictions against China. We believe that India and other countries will respect this important recommendation,” Sun Weidong, Beijing's envoy to New Delhi, posted on Twitter on Saturday, quoting Wang telling Jaishankar.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Maharashtra situation may have gone wild
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

nvishal wrote:Maharashtra situation may have gone wild
Sir can you please elaborate?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

nvishal wrote:Maharashtra situation may have gone wild
Please elaborate ....
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

At least eight Pakistani Army officers, including three Lieutenant Colonels, two Colonels, two Brigadiers, and one Major General, have been tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Friday at the General Army Headquarters Rawalpindi.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s first test for coronavirus has come back positive, according to reporting by major Rio de Janeiro newspaper.

The results of a second test are expected later today.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

sooraj wrote:At least eight Pakistani Army officers, including three Lieutenant Colonels, two Colonels, two Brigadiers, and one Major General, have been tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Friday at the General Army Headquarters Rawalpindi.
First interspecies leap from humans to pigs!
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Spain has reports 812 new cases of coronavirus and 24 new deaths, raising total to 3,958 cases and 91 dead.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Deleted. Next post without attribution will earn warning.
Last edited by Suraj on 13 Mar 2020 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: In times of crisis , DO NOT broadcast unattributed 'medical' recommendations. It's dangerous. Be sensible.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

The Chinese mouthpiece had issued an open threat, quoting a Chinese analysts as saying, “US move to restrict sales of technology to Huawei may backfire amid the #COVID19, as China could ban the export of face masks and other medical gear to America.”

A Xinhua article touted China’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak that originated in the city of Wuhan and has spread around the world. According to Fox News, the article claimed China could impose pharmaceutical export controls which would plunge the U.S. into “the mighty sea of coronavirus.”
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

chetak wrote:Stanford hospital board internal message.

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected?

<snip>

SHARE WITH FAMILY and FRIENDS
IMO This is NOT from Stanford. It's not a genuine message. Request Mod to delete it, unless there is some indication that it actually is what it says. This is likely to be one of those FB group message which may be going viral (sorry for the pun)
(I have family members and several friends who work in Sanford , they are sure it's a fake ).
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^this 'Stanford' article was debunked on the local news yesterday night. It's fake.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Amber G. wrote:
chetak wrote:Stanford hospital board internal message.

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected?

<snip>

SHARE WITH FAMILY and FRIENDS
IMO This is NOT from Stanford. It's not a genuine message. Request Mod to delete it, unless there is some indication that it actually is what it says. This is likely to be one of those FB group message which may be going viral (sorry for the pun)
(I have family members and several friends who work in Sanford , they are sure it's a fake ).
I have seen variations of this as a UNICEF published advisory as well. But when I checked the covid 19 page on the official site, it wasn't there.

Am sure of Stanford has a page it would be there if it is genuine article.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

https://healthalerts.stanford.edu/covid ... revention/

Just checked the Stanford page on the disease. It's a fake.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

sooraj wrote:At least eight Pakistani Army officers, including three Lieutenant Colonels, two Colonels, two Brigadiers, and one Major General, have been tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Friday at the General Army Headquarters Rawalpindi.
This appears to be based on a tweet by fake 'minofhealthpk' account.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

When I see the 'SHARE WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS' message, it immediately raises suspicion and I check and double check and it proves to be fake 99% of the time. Just my thoughts.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:^^^this 'Stanford' article was debunked on the local news yesterday night. It's fake.
can anyone debunk what has been advised.

all they are asking is for people to take sensible, simple and almost no cost precautions.

Is the message more important or the messenger.

if in doubt, consult your doctor is always implied and thus not specifically said

how exactly was it debunked in the local news, did they tell you to do the opposite or not to do it at all or give you an alternate :mrgreen:

your objection is to "stanford" and maybe it was put there to grab your attention.

But you missed the point completely and did not focus on the absolutely valid content.
Last edited by chetak on 13 Mar 2020 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

chetak wrote:
SriKumar wrote:^^^this 'Stanford' article was debunked on the local news yesterday night. It's fake.

all they are asking is for people to take sensible, simple and almost no cost precautions.

if in doubt, consult your doctor is always implied and thus not specifically said
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice
No evidence for this.
So even if some parts of the message are good, who is going to verify that ALL parts are good? That they sent the message under false pretenses is AFAIAK Bad and makes it untrustworthy.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

saip wrote:
chetak wrote:

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice
No evidence for this.
So even if some parts of the message are good, who is going to verify that ALL parts are good? That they sent the message under false pretenses is AFAIAK Bad and makes it untrustworthy.
this virus is temperature sensitive and so is the environment in your stomach. If you drink water that is colder than your body temp, the activity in the stomach slows/stops until the temp of the stomach, as well as the contents, come back up to normal body temp.

the virus multiplies in the throat and thereafter it contaminates the nasal secretions and travels to the lungs where it survives and multiplies.

water helps to flush it down the throat and into the stomach where the acid rich environment helps to neutralize the virus.

no evidence for this: what evidence do you need.

is some water down the hatch going to hurt you in any way.

I have many other messages forwarded by doctor friends and relatives a great many of whom are board certified in the US which explicitly contain drug related precautions and dosages that are best taken to keep one relatively safe under these circumstances.

Those are not meant for wider circulation because the ignorant can cause damage to themselves if not done right.

who is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to do this or that.

Do whatever you want as long as you stay safe.

If you think that you are safer drinking water from a copper/silver tumbler and cooking eating your food off a copper vessel or a silver plate, by all means do so.

The objective is to get through this crisis safely
Last edited by chetak on 13 Mar 2020 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

How does the virus know to avoid nasal and eye mucosa?

Please save half-baked medical expertise for more appropriate fora.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:How does the virus know to avoid nasal and eye mucosa?

Please save half-baked medical expertise for more appropriate fora.
what do you mean

if someone sneezes in your face, won't it enter both mucosa
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Bengaluru-based Google techie's wife tests positive for coronavirus
Sources said that the woman was the Google techie's wife, and further confirmed that the woman had been kept at the isolation ward after her return and her sample was sent for testing.However, she left the ward without informing the doctors. :eek: The matter came to light on Friday, when the lab report confirmed the infection. On being asked, the parents told the authorities that she had left for Delhi. :roll:

They later admitted that she was at her residence in the town, when the authorities threatened to call the police. :evil: Agra has reported the maximum number of coronavirus cases in Uttar Pradesh.
These are folks who should be sent to prison.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chola wrote:Had to be said.

Complaining about how China covered up the disease doesn't do me any good. China was in lockdown more than a month before Italy exploded and now the US.

The US had weeks to prepare and I thought the early moves to ban flights and foreign nationals from Cheen and other parts of Asia were good. But then it undid all of that by leaving the backdoor open to Europe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/opin ... china.html

China Bought the West Time. The West Squandered It.

Why did so many countries watch the epidemic unfold for weeks as though it was none of their concern?

By Ian Johnson
Mr. Johnson is a writer based in Beijing.
March 13, 2020

LONDON — When I got off my flight from Beijing to London nearly two weeks ago, I knew what I had to do: go straight into self-quarantine.

But as the plane approached London, a sense of unreality set in. The airline distributed a cheaply printed sheet that only advised us to call the usual National Health Service hotline if we felt ill. On arrival, there was no temperature check and no health statement — meaning that British officials would have had no easy way to track us if one of us came down with Covid-19. Instead, we just walked off the plane, took off our face masks and disappeared into the city.

Outsiders seem to want to view China’s experiences as uniquely its own. I imagine there are many reasons for this, including the comforting idea that China is far away and an epidemic over there surely couldn’t really spread so far and so fast over here. More than anything, though, I think that outsiders, especially in the West, fixate on China’s authoritarian political system, and that makes them discount the possible value and relevance of its decisions to them.

Arguing against these interpretations makes me a bit queasy. I realize that Chinese officials covered up the problem in late December and early January — a disastrous series of decisions. And I know that now China’s leaders want to sell their heavy-handed methods as exemplary. President Xi Jinping made his first visit to Wuhan on Tuesday, an implicit marker of success.

Yet it would be foolish to believe that China’s decisions have been mainly based on crude authoritarianism. One needn’t defend every one of its measures on medical grounds; those are matters that health care professionals might debate for years to come. But it’s worth acknowledging that not all of China’s failings are unique to its political system, and that some of its policies were motivated by serious concern for the public good and executed by a highly competent civil service.

For example, before condemning the decision of Chinese officials in early January to dismiss the threat of a looming epidemic, remember that at that time the coronavirus was not reported to have caused any deaths. Contrast this with, say, the United States today: Despite having had a free flow of information for weeks and witnessed thousands of deaths in China as evidence, parts of America’s political establishment — including at the White House — have pushed a disinformation campaign to downplay the risk.

And if you think it’s too easy to criticize President Trump, remember my airport experience in London. Or consider Germany’s decision earlier this week to hold a mass sporting event in the middle of its outbreak zone. Or Japan’s decision to let people walk off an infected cruise ship without proper testing. Some of these countries are now backpedaling, trying to explain away their blasé attitudes, but that’s weeks late.

China’s leaders did fumble at the very start, yet in short order they acted far more decisively than many democratically elected leaders have to date. Authoritarian or not, they also want the public’s approval. Chinese leaders may not face voters, but they, too, care about legitimacy, and that hinges on performance for them as well.

And while some in the West fixated on how China’s system failed to stem the outbreak at first, they were ignoring the aspects of it that worked. There’s nothing authoritarian about checking temperatures at airports, enforcing social distancing or offering free medical care to anyone with Covid-19.

Not all open societies have fumbled. Singapore, Taiwan and perhaps soon enough South Korea, have moved forcefully but sensibly to contain the virus, showing the sort of savvy that seems to be missing in large swaths of the West. Maybe it’s because these countries are close enough to the center of the outbreak that their governments could recognize its seriousness, while also being wary of China’s sledgehammer measures.

But too many countries further afield have stood by, watching for weeks what was unfolding in China, and then elsewhere in Asia, as though it was none of their concern. Some governments have dithered for lack of political will. Some seem to fall prey, still, to a perception of China as the eternal “other,” whose experience couldn’t possibly be relevant to us, much less provide any lessons — other than in what not to do.
china may have been in lockdown but the direct wuhan - italy flights continued unabated until very recently.

eyetaly has around 200,000 t0 250,000 chinese nationals including illegals resident in the country working in the leather and textile industry there

furthermore, china is really upset at India for putting a travel advisory on travel to china just some days ago. These selfish morons seem to think that their reputation is worth more than the health of India's citizens :mrgreen:
Last edited by chetak on 13 Mar 2020 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

SwamyG wrote:I went to Costco this evening, and had the shock of my life. Empty shelves, and produce & food were disappearing. Of course no paper napkins, toilet rolls, sanitizes etc. Breads were gone, all kinds of cookies, pastries all gone. No Bananas, very little tomatoes, meat bins were near empty.
I returned home after a surreal experience, scared and nervous.
After my failed attempt to buy tp at Costco (later purchased it at Walmart), I have to report that panic buying is going on in California.
I went to the local Food for less store for grocery purchase at around 2200 hours. Normally, I go there late in the evening , as there would not be many customers at that hour. But it was very busy, with lots of people buying TP, and staples such as bottled water, oil, sugar, flour, rice, beans, canned food etc., in large quantities. There was no shortage of anything, except hand sanitizer was sold out.
Gautam
Last edited by g.sarkar on 13 Mar 2020 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

chetak wrote:But you missed the point completely and did not focus on the absolutely valid content.
No. YOU missed the point. You've been asked multiple times to not post unattributed content, by more than one mod. This is not a time to be nice and polite, so:

Don't do that. Don't post random twitter quotes without links. Don't post FB/WA fwds.

Post content with attributable source links only. This viral behavior is dangerous in the midst of a viral pandemic.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

pgbhat wrote:Bengaluru-based Google techie's wife tests positive for coronavirus
Sources said that the woman was the Google techie's wife, and further confirmed that the woman had been kept at the isolation ward after her return and her sample was sent for testing.However, she left the ward without informing the doctors. :eek: The matter came to light on Friday, when the lab report confirmed the infection. On being asked, the parents told the authorities that she had left for Delhi. :roll:

They later admitted that she was at her residence in the town, when the authorities threatened to call the police. :evil: Agra has reported the maximum number of coronavirus cases in Uttar Pradesh.
These are folks who should be sent to prison.

maybe we need a law like this in India

Coronavirus patients who refuse to self-isolate face murder charges in Italy
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1157551
Coronavirus updates live: Trump plans to declare national emergency
Here are the latest updates from around the world.
President Donald Trump plans to declare a national emergency on Friday, the most significant move yet by the U.S. government to head off the coronavirus outbreak. Trump's declaration would come as many public and private institutions have taken action — including canceling major events, temporarily banning large gatherings, closing schools and telling people to work from home — in an effort to slow the spread of the virus.
Gautam