Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by ramana »

All members stay safe and healthy.
Especially in affected countries.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The Chinese hid the whole affair fearing a travel ban by the world, in case they feel there is another SARS outbreak.

Specially with Trump on their heal, a travel ban to China would hit them hard.

As long as the Chinese media does not highlight the deaths and overflow in Chinese hospitals in hubei province, none will be wiser. They were able to keep lid on this using this tactic.

Probably only in late Dec they probably realize, it needs to be contained and they closed the place. The Chinese numbers are clearly un-reported, if one compares to the rate of death & infection in other countries.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

I noticed a bunch of negative press come out about India's handling of coronavirus. I think there is a hidden agenda behind these press releases given that India has a low infection rate and imposed quarantines early buying itself valuable time with a low number of reported cases. However, looking at the western world, the population is being very inconsiderate and selfish. Not sure why India is getting the brunt of the negative PR.

nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Regarding our "less" testing, I feel if ICMR sees a growth of respiratory disease in any place, they will hit with Section 144 and contain the place.

Unlike in other countries, our local police can easily put a place under curfew.

The PM seems to be preparing the country for any sudden large scale lockdown, potentially in multiple places at once, if they notice a community spread.
Last edited by nam on 20 Mar 2020 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

schinnas wrote:Great speech by PM. No chest thumping as to what the govt has done and a very sincere and genuine message. I watched some Tamil news channels and surprisingly they are positive about this. Some shrills were still asking why govt didn't do this or that but mostly it was much more mature reaction and encouraging the public to make it a success.

Wonder how it was received on mallustan?
Commie idiots of mallustan have, as usual, understood only the 'make noise using plates and utencils' part. I see multiple idiots making fun on FB claiming that Modi said making noise using plates will drive corona virus away. Some pigs will always remain in their cesspool.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

TWITTER

Smita Prakash @smitaprakash wrote:
Some gora journalists are using clickbait tweets to troll India &/or Modi wrt corona fight back. U rise to the bait, you fall in their trap. They show their mentions to bosses or news websites for op-ed opportunities. Resist urge, be critical if u want to be but don’t link tweet
https://twitter.com/smitaprakash/status ... 09506?s=19

R.S. Bains @Herrbains wrote:

Every Gora analyst wants Indians to die in huge numbers. Difficult times bring out the evil in mankind?
https://twitter.com/HerrBains/status/12 ... 39776?s=19
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Dilbu wrote:
schinnas wrote:Great speech by PM. No chest thumping as to what the govt has done and a very sincere and genuine message. I watched some Tamil news channels and surprisingly they are positive about this. Some shrills were still asking why govt didn't do this or that but mostly it was much more mature reaction and encouraging the public to make it a success.

Wonder how it was received on mallustan?
Commie idiots of mallustan have, as usual, understood only the 'make noise using plates and utencils' part. I see multiple idiots making fun on FB claiming that Modi said making noise using plates will drive corona virus away. Some pigs will always remain in their cesspool.
I would not take the Commie holes of Mallustan seriously. Once Paranari is gone next election and money dries up all this will die.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Italy reports 5,322 new cases of coronavirus and 427 new deaths, raising total to 41,035 cases and 3,405 dead. Death toll in Italy now surpasses that of China.

Spain reports 3,241 new cases of coronavirus and 192 new deaths. A total of 18,010 cases and 830 deaths.

#France reported 108 new deaths from novel #coronavirus, taking the total death toll to 372. The number of confirmed cases rose to 10,995 from 9,134 on Tuesday, increasing 20% in 24 hours.

Immigrants violently defy coronavirus quarantines in Germany, Hungary.
Germany: Muslim migrants riot, display Islamic State flag at asylum center over coronavirus quarantine.

Countries with largest percentage increase in cases #coronavirus
Chile │342 +104 (43.7%)
Russia │199 +52 (35.4%)
Pakistan │448 +117 (35.3%)
South Africa │150 +34 (29.3%)
United Arab Emirates │140 +27 (23.9%)
Portugal │785 +143 (22.3%)

USA new cases: 91
TOTAL: 13170 Cases
Death: 177
Recovered: 108

UK- 3,300 cases,150 deaths

Trump on repercussions for China: "We're working on that right now".

US jails begin releasing prisoners amid pandemic. High profile inmates like ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen are among those who have asked for early release.

Thousands of medical students across Europe are being fast-tracked into early service in an attempt to boost health systems across the continent that are struggling to cope with the coronavirus outbreak.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Deleted
Last edited by Suraj on 20 Mar 2020 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't respond to spam
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Sravan wrote: Not sure why India is getting the brunt of the negative PR.
Why is there any doubt as to why? Because India is a Hindu country, or in secular parlance, a Hindu majority cuntry.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

CRamS wrote:
Why is there any doubt as to why? Because India is a Hindu country, or in secular parlance, a Hindu majority cuntry.
What's stopping the counter narrative?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

CRamS wrote:
They would love to see a catastrophe in desh. "Burey nazarwala Tera muh kaala". That's my standard response to these vermin.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Coronavirus: India confirms first death as horror story of virus mismanagement emerges
This is the headline in the british rag Independent five days back. At that time India had 100 infections and ONE death in contrast to UK which had 1400 infections and 35 deaths. Today India's count is 190/3 and UK count is 3300/150. Who is mismanaging it?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Sravan wrote:I noticed a bunch of negative press come out about India's handling of coronavirus. I think there is a hidden agenda behind these press releases given that India has a low infection rate and imposed quarantines early buying itself valuable time with a low number of reported cases. However, looking at the western world, the population is being very inconsiderate and selfish. Not sure why India is getting the brunt of the negative PR.

Damn! These guys in the video seriously confirm every stereotype about dumbass youngsters. Selfish, narcissistic, vapid, braindead. Goodluck to the elderly in the U. States. And that's the old people state too!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Mod Note:
Several low signal posts deleted . This is not the place to whine about others’ press portrayal of India .
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:Watch for any locality with high infection rate but low fatality rate, South Korea perhaps. The sequence needs to be compared with Wuhan strain.

It might be an idea, unless the genetic similarity is one or two mutations away, to arrange for direct flights from that locality to the major population centres of the world!
There are two strains as per Dr. Saphier on Fox News. L is more lethal than S. Most Chinese were infected with L strain where as S strain is more prevalent in the US.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

SwamyG wrote:
My midwest state reported lower new cases today....there were rumors of reducing the tests. Eshwara !!!!
Better that people look at JHU stats at CNN. Current status is 13K infected, not 11.7K as reported at this tracking site.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

When all the affected countries are showing 5-10% fatality(except Germany) what supeliol treatment did PRCs give to have only 2-3% fatality
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

vijayk wrote:
In the mean-e-while - prices of said drug just doubled over past 2 months!

https://www.ft.com/content/b7a21a16-6a1 ... 70cff6e4d3

But it does seem that they have rescinded those prices.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Posters have alluded to the fact that UV light kills microbes. This article (from NAture) says that they authors have successfully used it to kill influenza virus and bacteria. Essentially, it is about using UV lamps to bathe a space in UV light for a specific period of time, to disinfect surfaces, and possibly virus-aerosolized air.

I am hypothesizing here (am not a microbioligst) that since all viruses are essentially a string of nucleic acids (RNA) if one type of virus is disrupted by UV light, it is possible that the coronavirus could be too. (in my quick scan of article, I could not find any mention of the mechanism by which UV light disrupted their test virus). Article from 'Nature': https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w
Authors propose using UV-C spectrum light which does not hurt humans (207-222 nm wavelength). It was referenced by this article from Columbia Univ. Medical center (less technical and more readable)
https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/can ... -influenza

THis approach could be used to disinfect indoors which get no sunlight, in case the virus infection continues into Fall and winter of 2020 when there is less sunlight. Even in hot seasons, indoors and shady spots get little/no sunlight, so sunlight may not protect.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Vayutuvan wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Watch for any locality with high infection rate but low fatality rate, South Korea perhaps. The sequence needs to be compared with Wuhan strain.

It might be an idea, unless the genetic similarity is one or two mutations away, to arrange for direct flights from that locality to the major population centres of the world!
There are two strains as per Dr. Saphier on Fox News. L is more lethal than S. Most Chinese were infected with L strain where as S strain is more prevalent in the US.

Apparently that may have been due to early sampling in the beginning of the outbreak.

I would expect the more attenuated strain to become predominant, however. This is because a highly virulent pathogen extinguishes itself shortly. Its host dies quickly before it has a chance to disseminate much. Again as a pandemic rages, evolutionary theory would predict a drop in case fatality ratios irrespective of human intervention.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

SriKumar wrote:Posters have alluded to the fact that UV light kills microbes. This article (from NAture) says that they authors have successfully used it to kill influenza virus and bacteria. Essentially, it is about using UV lamps to bathe a space in UV light for a specific period of time, to disinfect surfaces, and possibly virus-aerosolized air.

I am hypothesizing here (am not a microbioligst) that since all viruses are essentially a string of nucleic acids (RNA) if one type of virus is disrupted by UV light, it is possible that the coronavirus could be too. (in my quick scan of article, I could not find any mention of the mechanism by which UV light disrupted their test virus). Article from 'Nature': https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w
Authors propose using UV-C spectrum light which does not hurt humans (207-222 nm wavelength). It was referenced by this article from Columbia Univ. Medical center (less technical and more readable)
https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/can ... -influenza

THis approach could be used to disinfect indoors which get no sunlight, in case the virus infection continues into Fall and winter of 2020 when there is less sunlight. Even in hot seasons, indoors and shady spots get little/no sunlight, so sunlight may not protect.

Again I have previously postulated UV intensity to ameliorate this pandemic in India. UV is a well known mutagen via thymine dimers etc
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^ So will these lamps (UV-C) be useful in disinfecting, say, Fedex or Amazon packages, or any 'dead' surfaces like plastic, steel etc. If this epidemic continues into Sept. some 'industiral' means other than manual hand-wiping chairs, offices, with tissue will need to be developed.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Indeed, but as light can be blocked by folds and shapes, it would be better to use other disinfectants. Heat is the simplest, but others like ethylene oxide are possible. Also gamma irradiation.
Leonard
BRFite

Post by Leonard »

Deleted
Last edited by Suraj on 20 Mar 2020 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wild eyed nonsense
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

varshar wrote:Here's a positive update from the FT:
  • * Growth in cases (daily) is slowing in Italy, South Korea, & Japan. Iranian numbers don't seem trustworthy though.
    * UK is consistently below the 33% trendline (and diverging slowly) - so BoJo might just be doing something right.
    * Trajectory of cases in France & Sweden too seems to be slowing.
On the flip side, USA continues to be a major source of concern.

-v

I am not very sure but really at this point, with testing getting much more common, it seems like number of cases is of little value. What needs to be tracked is fatalities. In fact, as I write the case numbers in the US are above 14K! as per Worldometer
Last edited by Cain Marko on 20 Mar 2020 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Posting the full text here for the record, and for those who couldn't see the speech or don't have the time to.

PM Modi on coronavirus: Here is the full text of his speech - via MoneyControl
PM Modi wrote:My dear fellow citizens,

The whole world is currently passing through a period of very serious crisis. Normally, when a natural crisis strikes, it is limited to a few countries or states. However, this time the calamity is such that it has it has put all of mankind in crisis. World Wars 1 and 2 did not impact as many countries, as have been affected by Corona today.

Over the last two months, we are continuously observing and hearing of grave Corona virus related news. In these two months, the 130 crore citizens of India have ably dealt with the global Corona pandemic and have exercised due caution.

However, in the past few days, it is appearing as if we have averted the crisis, and everything is okay. Complacency in respect of a global pandemic like Corona is not appropriate. Therefore, it is essential that each and every Indian remains alert and cautious.

Friends,

Whenever I asked you for something, you have never let me down. Our efforts succeed, only on the strength of your blessings.

Today, I am here to ask you, all my fellow citizens, for something. I want your coming few weeks from you, your time in the near future.

Friends,

Till now, science has not been able to find a definite solution to save us from the Corona pandemic,neither has a vaccine been developed. In such a situation, it is very natural to get worried.

Study of the countries most affected by Coronavirus has revealed another aspect. In these countries, the spread of the disease has witnessed almost an explosion after the initial few days. The number of people infected by Corona has grown at a rapid pace. Government of India is constantly keeping a close watch on this situation, and this track record of the spread of Corona.

Although there are a few countries which have controlled the situation by taking swift decisions and isolating its people as much as possible.

This burgeoning crisis of Corona, is not an ordinary occurrence for a nation like India with a population of 130 crore, striving for development.

Therefore, as we witness the wide-spread impact of the Corona pandemic even in major, developed countries today, it is wrong to assume that India will not be impacted by it.

Hence, it is imperative to keep two key factors in mind in order to combat this global pandemic - Determination and Patience. Today, all 130 crore fellow citizens of Indians will have to further strengthen our resolve to overcome this global crisis, fulfilling all our duties as citizens, and abiding by the directions given by the Central and State governments. Today, we must all resolve to not get infected ourselves, and prevent others as well from getting infected.

Friends,

During such a pandemic, only one mantra can take us through –‘Hum Swasth, toh Jag Swasth’, that is the world will be healthy, if we stay healthy. In a situation like this, where there is no known cure for the disease, it is imperative that we stay healthy. Patience is an essential virtue to avoid this disease, and keep oneself healthy. And how does one practice patience? By staying away from crowds and gatherings, avoiding leaving your homes. This is called ‘Social Distancing’ nowadays, and is critical in these times of the global corona pandemic.

Our determination and patience will play a crucial role in containing the impact of this global pandemic. It is wrong if you believe that you are okay and nothing can happen to you, and you can continue roaming around in markets and streets as usual and remain unaffected. By doing this, you will not only be unjust to yourself but also to your family.

Keeping this is mind, I appeal to you all that for the next few weeks, step-out of your homes only when absolutely necessary. As far as possible, try and do your work, whether related to business or job, from home.

While it is essential that those who are in government services, healthcare services, people’s representatives, media personnel remain active. Everybody else must however, isolate themselves from the rest of society.

I also appeal that the elderly, senior citizens and those above 65 years of age in our families, not leave homes for the next few weeks. Today’s generation may not be very familiar with this,but in the olden times, blackout was observed at night during wartime. This would at times go on for prolonged periods. Several times, there would also be blackout drills.

Friends,

Today, I request my fellow citizens for support on one more issue, that of people’s curfew. People’s curfew means a curfew imposed for the people, by the people, on the people themselves.

This Sunday, that is on 22nd March, all citizen must abide by this people’s curfew from 7 AM until 9 PM. During this curfew, we shall neither leave our homes, nor get onto the streets or roam about our localities. Only those associated with emergency and essential services will leave their homes.

Friends,

22nd March will be a symbol of our effort, of our self-restraint,and our resolve to fulfil our duty in service of the nation.The success of a people’s curfew on 22nd March, and the experience gained from it, will also prepare us for our upcoming challenges.

I urge all state governments to take leadership in ensuring compliance of this people’s curfew.

I also request the youth of our nation, organizations like NCC, NSS, civil society, as well as other organizations of all types to spread awareness about this people’s curfew over the next 2 days.

I would appeal to every individual to if possible, call at least 10 people on the phone everyday, explaining to them how to protect themselves from the virus as well as the idea of people’s curfew.

This people’s curfew will in a way be a litmus test for us, for our nation. This is also the time to see and test how prepared India is for fighting off a Corona like global pandemic.

Friends,

In the midst of all these efforts of the people’s curfew on 22nd March, I would also like to seek your support on one more matter on that day. For the past 2 months, lakhs of our people have been working day and night in our Hospitals and Airports. From doctors to nurses, hospital staff, sanitation workers, airlines employees, government staff, police personnel, media people, people associated with train-bus-auto rickshaw services, and home delivery agents; all have been selflessly serving others, without caring about themselves.

In the current circumstances, these services cannot be considered to be ordinary. Today, these people run the risk of getting infected themselves. Yet, they continue to fulfil their duties, serving others. As defenders of the nation, they stand firmly between us and the Corona pandemic. The nation is grateful to them all.

I wish that on Sunday, 22nd March, we express our gratitude to all such people.On Sunday at exactly 5 pm, we all stand at the doors, balconies, windows of our homes, and give them all a 5-minute standing ovation.We clap our hands, beat our plates, ring our bells to boost their morale, salute their service.

To inform people about this, I request local authorities across the country to ring a siren at 5 pm on 22nd March.

We must with full sincerity, express our feelings towards all such fellow citizens who have lived by our value-system of ‘Seva Parmo Dharma’, that is Service being the highest Duty.

Friends,

In such times of crisis, we also need to be aware that the burden on our essential services, our hospitals, is continuously increasing.

I thus, urge you to as much as possible, avoid going to the hospital for routine check-ups. When necessary, you could get the required guidance over phone from your known local doctor, family doctor, or some relative who is a doctor. In case you have a non-essential, elective surgery scheduled, I would urge you to postpone it by a month.

Friends,

This global pandemic is also going to have a wide-ranging impact on the economy. Keeping in mind the economic challenges arising from the Corona virus, the government has decided to set up a COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force under the leadership of the Finance Minister. This Task Force will take decisions in the near future, based on regular interactions and feedback from all stakeholders, and analysis of all situations and dimensions. This Task Force will also ensure that all steps taken to reduce the economic difficulties are effectively implemented.

It is clear that this pandemic is deeply hurting the economic interests and well-being of our nation’s middle class, lower-middle class, and poor segments. In such a time of crisis, I request the business world and high income segments of society to as much as possible, look after the economic interests of all the people who provide them services. In the coming few days it is possible these people may not be able to come to office or your homes. In such a case, do treat them with empathy and humanity and not deduct their salaries. Always keep in mind that they too need to run their homes, protect their families from illness.

I would like to reassure all Indians that all steps necessary are being taken to ensure there is no shortage of essential items like milk, groceries and medicines. I thus urge all my fellow citizens to make purchases as normal, and not hoard essential items in Panic Buying.

Friends,

Over the past 2 months, 130 crore Indians, each and every citizen, has taken on this national crisis as one’s own and done whatever possible for society and the nation. I have full faith that you will in a similar manner, continue to carry out your responsibilities and duties in the time to come.

Yes, I acknowledge that many difficulties arise in such times, and there is an environment of apprehensions and rumours. Many a times, our expectations as citizens is also not fulfilled. However, this crisis is so grave, that all fellow citizens must face these challenges with firm resolve and determination, amidst all these difficulties.

Friends,

We need to put in all our capacity and capability in protecting ourselves from the Corona virus. Whether it be the Central government, State governments, local authorities, panchayats, people’s representatives or civil societies; everyone is contributing in their own way in the fight against this global pandemic. You too, must give your full contribution!

It is critical that in this environment of a global pandemic, humanity emerges victorious, India emerges victorious!

The festival of Navratri is coming up in a few days. This is a festival of worshipping ‘Shakti’. That India moves ahead with full Shakti, full Strength and Energy, is my heartfelt wish to one and all.

Many, many Thanks!
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-ar ... 36/5775463
Population genetic analyses of 103 SARS-CoV-2 genomes indicated that these viruses evolved into two major types (designated L and S), that are well defined by two different SNPs that show nearly complete linkage across the viral strains sequenced to date. Although the L type (∼70%) is more prevalent than the S type (∼30%), the S type was found to be the ancestral version. Whereas the L type was more prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan, the frequency of the L type decreased after early January 2020. Human intervention may have placed more severe selective pressure on the L type, which might be more aggressive and spread more quickly. On the other hand, the S type, which is evolutionarily older and less aggressive, might have increased in relative frequency due to relatively weaker selective pressure.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

A 49-year-old woman who is admitted at Kasturba hospital in Mumbai, has been tested positive for the coronavirus infection, has sent Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation into a tizzy after the civic body learnt that she attended a satsang with over 1,500 devotees at a city-based ashram. The woman and her family had returned from the Dubai trip on March 4 following which she started feeling unwell. However, she attended the Sunday satsang at the ashram on March 8. After the health department shared details of the woman and her travel history with Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation, they formed teams to sanitize her residence. A separate team is tracing all the people who came in contact with the patient in the past 15 days.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

India has 163 Indians + 32 foreigners infected out of which 20 have recovered and 4 are dead.

To put this into perspective, India screened 14,31,734 people at the airport. There are still about 1 lakh people being screened at the airport every day. How the infection spreads depends a lot of how well people are adhering to quarantine and social distancing.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I think we've done a great job so far.

I returned to India from a US trip around 2 weeks ago. I filled up the health form at the airport. Now, for the past few days, I'm getting an automated recorded call from Dept of health, Govt of Karnataka - twice a day - asking me if I have symptoms. and has IVRS numbers of the answers, and telling me that I'm in quarantine and giving general health gyan on washing hands etc.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... _KW-rO0nbI
Gov. Gavin Newsom orders all Californians to stay at home
By TARYN LUNA, STAFF WRITER
MARCH 19, 2020

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday ordered all Californians to stay at home, marking the first mandatory restrictions placed on the lives of all 40 million residents in the state’s fight against the novel coronavirus. The governor’s action comes at a critical time in California, where 19 people have died and an additional 958 have tested positive for the disease. The mandatory order allows Californians to continue to visit gas stations, pharmacies, grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants, banks and laundromats. People can leave their homes to care for a relative or a friend or seek health care services. It exempts workers in 16 federal critical infrastructure sectors, including food and agriculture, healthcare, transportation, energy, financial services, emergency response and others.
No time frame was set for when the order would end. Newsom asked Californians to practice social distancing when performing such “necessary activities.” “We’re going to keep the grocery stores open,” Newsom said. “We’re going to make sure that you’re getting critical medical supplies. You can still take your kids outside, practicing common sense and social distancing. You can still walk your dog.” Officials hope telling people to stay homes and restrict social interactions will slow the spread of the virus and ultimately prevent hospitals from being overrun with sick patients. The request for all residents to stay at home marks the strongest escalation of the Newsom administration’s response to the virus and an unprecedented action in modern California history.
“A state as large as ours, a nation-state, is many parts, but at the end of the day, we’re one body. There’s a mutuality, there’s a recognition of our interdependence that requires of this moment that we direct a statewide order for people to stay at home,” Newsom said. “That directive goes into force and effect this evening and we are confident that the people of the state of California will abide by it, will do the right thing.”
Those who don’t abide by the order, administration officials said, could be subject to a misdemeanor. The extraordinary action comes as Newsom offered a grim projection about the toll coronavirus might take on California. He asked Congress Thursday for $1 billion in federal funds to support the state’s medical response to the novel coronavirus, which he said he expects will infect more than half of all Californians. The state projects that 25.5 million people in California will be infected with the coronavirus over an eight-week period, Newsom said in a letter sent to President Trump on Wednesday requesting the deployment of the U.S. Navy’s Mercy hospital ship to the Port of Los Angeles through Sept. 1.
In a separate letter sent to the leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, Newsom said the financial aid is crucial to the state’s ability to procure ventilators and other medical supplies, activate state-run hospitals, deploy mobile hospitals and meet other healthcare needs.
“The economic disruption caused by this public health crisis will have immediate and devastating effects on our entire country, including too many families in California,” Newsom wrote. “The magnitude of this crisis is extraordinary and federal-state-local government coordination will be more critical than ever before.”
Gautam
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 717461.cms

A 49-year-old woman who is admitted at Kasturba hospital in Mumbai, has been tested positive for the coronavirus infection, has sent Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation into a tizzy after the civic body learnt that she attended a satsang with over 1,500 devotees at a city-based ashram. The woman and her family had returned from the Dubai trip on March 4 following which she started feeling unwell. However, she attended the Sunday satsang at the ashram on March 8. After the health department shared details of the woman and her travel history with Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation, they formed teams to sanitize her residence. A separate team is tracing all the people who came in contact with the patient in the past 15 days.

Most of Ulhasnagar is mostly illegal constructions and wink wink nod nod from UNMC and corrupt Politicians has made it a shithole of environmental mess. NGT has passed several orders for UNMC to clean up its act (install STP) but the cost and time of doing work there is so large as everyone wants their cut and possesses effective veto on any environmental work to be done
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Where has UB disappeared ?
He always had the latest info but I don't see him posting anymore.
Hope he is all well and tending to his yaks.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Vayutuvan wrote:
SwamyG wrote: My midwest state reported lower new cases today....there were rumors of reducing the tests. Eshwara !!!!
Better that people look at JHU stats at CNN. Current status is 13K infected, not 11.7K as reported at this tracking site.
My state reporting low because not all are tested. Department of Health acknowledges there are cases outside laboratory testing.
So the number is just falsely soothing. As long as we stay indoors not much can be done.

Muruga. Krishna. Surya. Garuda...
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Vikas wrote:Where has UB disappeared ?
He always had the latest info but I don't see him posting anymore.
Hope he is all well and tending to his yaks.
He is fine.... saw him somewhere on SM. He is trying to fly below radar and not get into trouble with his SHQ.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Many liberals are having a massive heartache because Trump called Covid-19 as the "Chinese Virus".
Some media outlets are making a big issue out of it saying that it might instigate xenophobia......

One reader replied with the following list putting these so called liberal media on the mat:
“Japan and Thailand Confirm New Cases of Chinese Coronavirus,” The New York Times, 1/15/20
“The CDC and Homeland Security begin screening for Chinese Coronavirus at three major US airports as outbreak spreads in Asia,” CNBC, 1/17/20
“Vaccine for new Chinese coronavirus in the works,” CNN, 1/20/20
“First U.S. case of potentially deadly Chinese coronavirus confirmed in Washington state,” Washington Post, 1/21/20
“Chinese coronavirus outbreak has reached U.S. shores, CDC says,” Los Angeles Times, 1/21/20
“The First Case Of The Chinese Coronavirus Has Hit The US, CDC Reports,” Buzzfeed, 1/21/20
“First case of Chinese coronavirus confirmed in Washington state,” NBC’s Today Show, 1/24/20
“Chinese coronavirus infections, death toll soar as fifth case is confirmed in U.S.,” Washington Post, 1/26/20
“Japan confirms case of new Chinese virus, spread is ‘concerning,'” Reuters, 1/15/20
“How the Chinese virus outbreak impacts Lunar New Year travel,” National Geographic, 1/24/20
“China coronavirus ‘spreads before symptoms show,'” BBC, 1/26/20
“Over a thousand ‘likely’ infected by Wuhan virus in China: Study,” Al Jazeera, 1/18/20
“Stop the Wuhan virus,” Nature Magazine editorial, 1/21/20)
“China confirms Wuhan virus can be spread by humans,” CNN, 1/22/20
“First U.S. Case Reported of Deadly Wuhan Virus,” Wall Street Journal, 1/22/20
“Here are the symptoms of the deadly Wuhan coronavirus and when you should be worried,” Business Insider, 1/22/20
“Something Far Deadlier Than The Wuhan Virus Lurks Near You,” Kaiser Health News, 1/24/20
“With Wuhan virus genetic code in hand, scientists begin work on a vaccine,” Reuters, 1/24/20
“The Wuhan Virus: How to Stay Safe,” Foreign Policy, 1/25/20
“Something Far Deadlier Than The Wuhan Virus Lurks Near You,” USA Today, 1/29/20
“10-Year-Old Boy Raises Fears Wuhan Virus Could Spread Undetected,” Bloomberg, 1/29/20
“Your Questions About Wuhan Coronavirus, Answered, National Public Radio, 1/30/20
“Will the Wuhan virus become a pandemic?” The Economist, 1/30/20
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

The study of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin on sars-cov2
https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/ ... I_IJAA.pdf
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्धनम् ।