Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
sudeepj
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by sudeepj »

hanumadu wrote:How long before we have a virus with the fatality of SARS-COV-1 and the contagiousness of SARS-COV-2?
Usually, the more deadly a virus or bacteria is, the more the pressures of natural selection and evolution against it! Most viruses are much more potent when they first emerge, pressures of natural selection ensure that they become less of a threat with time. Its not in the viruses self interest (if a virus can have a self interest!) to kill the host! This can be seen in all viruses throughout history. Even HIV used to be much more deadly early on but now the virus is not as deadly.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

CA has shelter in place order for the entire state. Some can stay home, some can stay home and work and there are others who can not stay at home and work, especially health care workers and emergency services. For all those who are still going to work so that we can be safe, my gratitude.
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

COVID19 viability on surfaces : Copper has the highest disinfecting capability (Paper compares Copper, Steel, Cardboard and Plastic)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2 ... 094CWbpOuk
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

TN has quarantined itself.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

This has to happen ... GOI should encourage folks to report such cases.

https://twitter.com/nitinch85/status/12 ... 2087611392
Nitin Chaudhary @nitinch85

@myogiadityanath @noidapolice @Ravish_49619 @uppolice

Sir one resident of T2/1202, Paras Tierea, Sector 137, Noida came from UK yesterday and not adhering to self quarantine, roaming freely and creating health threat to more than 4000 flats in society. Pls take immediate action.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

Folks, don't go overboard with the "WTH/WTF" posts please. PM has called for self-quarantining on March 22. If you listened to his speech carefully, it was clear he is testing this persuasive approach to see if it is working. If yes, there will be followups along those lines. If not, other measures will be taken. I agree it is a good idea to call out/name and shame people who are showing irresponsible behavior.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

ICMR may cap price of each coronavirus test at Rs 4,500-Rs 5,000 for private labs: Official
The Union health ministry had on Tuesday issued guidelines for private sector laboratories intending to initiate COVID-19 testing while the ICMR appealed to them to conduct the tests free of cost. "It seems nobody is willing to do it free-of-cost and that is why private labs would be asked to cap the price of each test for COVID-19 between Rs 4500 and Rs 5,000," the official said.
Feel like 5000 INR is still expensive...
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Zynda wrote:ICMR may cap price of each coronavirus test at Rs 4,500-Rs 5,000 for private labs: Official
The Union health ministry had on Tuesday issued guidelines for private sector laboratories intending to initiate COVID-19 testing while the ICMR appealed to them to conduct the tests free of cost. "It seems nobody is willing to do it free-of-cost and that is why private labs would be asked to cap the price of each test for COVID-19 between Rs 4500 and Rs 5,000," the official said.
Feel like 5000 INR is still expensive...
From what I understand, the reagents are still imported and expensive, hence there may be a limit to how much cost can be cut, till local alternatives are available. But yes, govt can subsidize, but within reason.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

https://twitter.com/PadmajaJoshi/status ... 7281811456
Padmaja joshi @PadmajaJoshi

Back from Bangladesh, 160 refuse quarantine in Srinagar. Start protest, break window panes in arrival area. Subsequently, their parents arrive and join protest
https://twitter.com/PadmajaJoshi/status ... 9619196933

COVID-19: Two Catholic priests booked in Kerala for violating orders by conducting mass. If convicted, face 6-month jail term
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1240918414345949184
ANI @ANI

Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray: In Mumbai Metropolitan Region, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Nagpur - which have international airports, all shops (other than essentials) and offices to remain closed till 31st March, 2020. #COVID19 (file pic)
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

The fatality rate in SoKo, which has done the most extensive testing is 1.1%
In Northern Europe, (Germany, Austria, Scandanavia) which also tests aggressively, the fatality rate is 0.3-0.5% A larger proportion of younger
people are infected there.

Iran with fairly non existent testing (unless you have an advanced condition) and poor medical care has a fatality rate of under 1% (I doubt they are under-reporting because they need aid and an end to sanctions).
US currently at 1.5% but I expect will go down once more are tested.

All warm countries (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Brazil, Gulf countries) have fatality rates under 0.5%. Only exception is Indonesia.
Same with cold countries (Russia, Scandanavia, Estonia). Canada at 1.5% is the only exception.

The high fatality rates are very high in Italy, Spain & UK because of a larger proportion of older people and because (in Italy), everyone who dies is being checked for the presence of Coronivirus and is being listed as a virus case, even if he died of a heard attack and was not admitted for Corona.
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

Deans wrote: Iran with fairly non existent testing (unless you have an advanced condition) and poor medical care has a fatality rate of under 1% (I doubt they are under-reporting because they need aid and an end to sanctions).
Iran has a CFR of 7%.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Krita wrote:
Deans wrote: Iran with fairly non existent testing (unless you have an advanced condition) and poor medical care has a fatality rate of under 1% (I doubt they are under-reporting because they need aid and an end to sanctions).
Iran has a CFR of 7%.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran
My mistake. I guess, the only reassuring thing for us is being in a hot weather zone. You get infected but don't die. I think critics are overdoing the `Not testing enough' thing. No one has tested more than SoKo and their death rate is still over 1%
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Deans wrote:The fatality rate in SoKo, which has done the most extensive testing is 1.1%
In Northern Europe, (Germany, Austria, Scandanavia) which also tests aggressively, the fatality rate is 0.3-0.5% A larger proportion of younger
people are infected there.

Iran with fairly non existent testing (unless you have an advanced condition) and poor medical care has a fatality rate of under 1% (I doubt they are under-reporting because they need aid and an end to sanctions).

All warm countries (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Brazil, Gulf countries) have fatality rates under 0.5%. Only exception is Indonesia.
Same with cold countries (Russia, Scandanavia, Estonia). Canada at 1.5% is the only exception.

The high fatality rates are very high in Italy, Spain & UK because of a larger proportion of older people and because (in Italy), everyone who dies is being checked for the presence of Coronivirus and is being listed as a virus case, even if he died of a heard attack and was not admitted for Corona.

Again, this cold weather warm weather thing is conjecture with no science at this point.

Also, you can get a heart attack due to Corona induced respiratory stress if you are old and generally not 100% in cardiovascular health.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Deans wrote:
My mistake. I guess, the only reassuring thing for us is being in a hot weather zone. You get infected but don't die. I think critics are overdoing the `Not testing enough' thing. No one has tested more than SoKo and their death rate is still over 1%
Show me 1 scientific paper supporting your warm weather theory - didn't realize Brazil, Spain, Italy, and Iran were considered COLD.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Bart S wrote:And who would have thought that it would be the educated ultra-elite folks who spread the virus as opposed to the much maligned unhygenic gawaar folks. :evil:

I think going forward every minute is critical. State of emergency needs to happen now, rather than half-measures and 'encouraging' people do stuff.
Sadly, the writing has been on the wall for some time as to the true nature of these 'civilized' 'elite' Indians, present company excepted of course.

Excuse the off-topic, but here's a small anecdote to illustrate the nature of this quarantine-breaking class.

Many-many years ago, I once had occasion to confront a gentleman at Chennai Airport--we had both landed on the same flight from Singapore. And said gent lighted up a cigarette in the airport customs queue, with nothing being said by the security staff (those were the days). I asked him if he would have done the same thing in Changi, and he went into a long tirade about how he was well-traveled and what a dirty place India was, what an undisciplined people Indians were, and on and on. Yes, that was his response.

I took my lessons right then and there about which class of people is India's real problem. I have seen no reason since then to change my conclusions.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

pankajs wrote:https://twitter.com/NewIndianXpress/sta ... 2810866690
The New Indian Express @NewIndianXpress

#CoronaVirusUpdate | 22-year-old doctor from #Maharashtra's Jalgaon knocked the doors of at least five private hospitals, but he was refused admission being a #coronavirus suspect. Now, he is in a ventilator, battling for his life.
@ss_suryawanshi
Lesson

1. Everyone is vulnerable Dog bite case (Rabies ???)
2. When in doubt, approach a government facility that is listed by the respective state government. Don't waste time with private hospitals.

Be aware and spread the message.
IMO, the real lesson is, private hospitals should be required to take care of anyone who knocks on their doors - if they have the room.

The people who turned away this gentlemen should be locked up for manslaughter if he dies and attempted manslaughter- if he doesn’t.

Of all places, a hospital should be aware of the hazards of sending a coronavirus patient out into the community.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

pankajs wrote:https://twitter.com/PadmajaJoshi/status ... 7281811456

Back from Bangladesh, 160 refuse quarantine in Srinagar. Start protest, break window panes in arrival area. Subsequently, their parents arrive and join protest
https://twitter.com/PadmajaJoshi/status ... 9619196933

COVID-19: Two Catholic priests booked in Kerala for violating orders by conducting mass. If convicted, face 6-month jail term
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1240918414345949184
ANI @ANI

Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray: In Mumbai Metropolitan Region, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Nagpur - which have international airports, all shops (other than essentials) and offices to remain closed till 31st March, 2020. #COVID19 (file pic)

Why such big groups from JK going to Bangladesh?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

A google search indicates India has 70,000 ICU beds. Assuming 2/3rd of them have ventilators, we have 50,000 ventilators for 1.3 billion people.
some others
UK 4500
Germany 20,000
Italy 3500
USA 135000 (they ventilated these many patients during last pandemic)
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Several articles have appeared as to how one ventilator can be used to ventilate multiple patients https://emcrit.org/pulmcrit/split-ventilators/
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I think we dont have so many ventilators. Somewheres reading Delhi has only 500, which would mean around 5,000 or so, all over India.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Italy's grim tale continues. 627 deaths today. Now on, I think it is only Math.

I hope our politicians are taking it seriously.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Raveen wrote:
Deans wrote:
Show me 1 scientific paper supporting your warm weather theory - didn't realize Brazil, Spain, Italy, and Iran were considered COLD.
1. It is a flu virus. Flu virus hits the worst during cold weather, and change of season (into cold or wet weather).
2. There was a paper written by some Tsinghua guys about the correlation of rate of spread and temperature & humidity, where they claimed that hot weather and high humidity were inhibitors. This looked like a decent paper but my beef with it was that it was written by CS types not public health persons. A quick search shows up some articles, e.g. https://www.businessinsider.in/science/ ... 697538.cms
3. Iran is cold this time of the year. There are mountains right by Teheran where it snows. Same with Italy. Italian alps, remember?
4. Cases from Dubai, SIngapore I will attribute to being in close confinement in an airconditioned recirculating environment. "warm weather" only applies to the outside, not when you are in airconditioning. Also it is an inhibitor not a blocker of transmission. So please continue to exercise the utmost of caution.

My doctor stated that there was zero correlation that any types of food induced acidity, and this had been studied in depth. I can with equal certainty say that certain foods (aerated drinks for instance) will 100% give me acidity that very night. It is like clockwork for me. So while a statistic may apply to the population at large, each individual's response may show something entirely different.

So far there has been minimal transmission in the wild in India. Let's hope it stays that way, but be prepared for the worst.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

kit wrote: Forewarned is forearmed, India needs stricter measures maybe even enact an emergency if required before it is too late ., people cannot be running around or escape at will if tested positive !!
Unfortunately this might be needed sooner than you think. The number of cases has reached 200. If you compare the time taken for cases to reach from 0 to 100 and from 100 to 200 there is a significant drop. Which means the spread is accelerating and we might be on the exponential growth curve.

Draconian measures need to be put in place to stop people from congregating together. Time for asking nicely is over. Govt. can start with their own partymen, like the idiots in MP. Educated people seem to be no better than illiterate ones here (and might be worse) as Kanika Kapoor's example as shown. If we don't stop this now it will be a disaster.

Secondly, it might have been a good idea to test only symptomatic people or those who have had contact with infected people till now, but there have been so many instances of COVID-19 positive people mingling with general population till now that there is no way to figure out how many people might actually be walking around infected. Testing protocols might need to change.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

yensoy wrote:
1. It is a flu virus. Flu virus hits the worst during cold weather, and change of season (into cold or wet weather).
It is not a Flu virus. Coronaviruses belong to a different family of viruses than Influenza viruses.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Gyan wrote:I think we dont have so many ventilators. Somewheres reading Delhi has only 500, which would mean around 5,000 or so, all over India.
DRDO and IITs should come up with a plan to design, develop and manufacture a ventilator by the millions in 3 weeks. It is doable. At the very basic, it is a clean air pump to aid human respiration.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

disha wrote:
Gyan wrote:I think we dont have so many ventilators. Somewheres reading Delhi has only 500, which would mean around 5,000 or so, all over India.
DRDO and IITs should come up with a plan to design, develop and manufacture a ventilator by the millions in 3 weeks. It is doable. At the very basic, it is a clean air pump to aid human respiration.
Even if they designed one how would you set up large scale manufacturing facilities in days or weeks? This will be a classic case of starting to dig a well after one is thirsty unfortunately.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Coronavirus is spreading in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Iran, and Australia - and all these countries have either hot weather or are in summer months (e.g. Australia).

If we don't act, rest assured 1 crore Indians will die. And many amongst us are running like headless chickens giving the virus to others like soan halwa. One man is jumping quarantine in Telengana to attend his wedding with 1000 guests.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

my friends from sweden and netherlands are reporting that they are under complete house arrest, with only bi-weekly visits for buying basic items allowed. also,sweden is very ikely fudging numbers.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

sohamn wrote:Coronavirus is spreading in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Iran, and Australia - and all these countries have either hot weather or are in summer months (e.g. Australia).

If we don't act, rest assured 1 crore Indians will die. And many amongst us are running like headless chickens giving the virus to others like soan halwa. One man is jumping quarantine in Telengana to attend his wedding with 1000 guests.
I think you need to calm down. GoI is doing what it can, but can't stop individuals. 1 crore is 10 million Indians. If you wish this, then go somewhere else.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Mod Note:

Another friendly reminder - this is the resource thread. Not the place to navel gaze or make up CTs. There won't be another thread for that because we have neither the time nor inclination to moderate such a thread.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Rahul M wrote:also,sweden is very ikely fudging numbers.
Why should anyone fudge numbers. May be taking precaution to control. More over even in spain things of ban is not too strict. I heard one can go for a walk in evening. Only malls theater are closed. Most on WFH
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

you have to ask the ones doing the fudging. from what I got, only critical cases are being reported, not all cases.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown
No society can safeguard public health for long at the cost of its economic health
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

yensoy wrote:
Raveen wrote:
2. There was a paper written by some Tsinghua guys about the correlation of rate of spread and temperature & humidity, where they claimed that hot weather and high humidity were inhibitors. This looked like a decent paper but my beef with it was that it was written by CS types not public health persons. A quick search shows up some articles, e.g. https://www.businessinsider.in/science/ ... 697538.cms
3. Iran is cold this time of the year. There are mountains right by Teheran where it snows. Same with Italy. Italian alps, remember?
4. Cases from Dubai, SIngapore I will attribute to being in close confinement in an airconditioned recirculating environment. "warm weather" only applies to the outside, not when you are in airconditioning. Also it is an inhibitor not a blocker of transmission. So please continue to exercise the utmost of caution.

My doctor stated that there was zero correlation that any types of food induced acidity, and this had been studied in depth. I can with equal certainty say that certain foods (aerated drinks for instance) will 100% give me acidity that very night. It is like clockwork for me. So while a statistic may apply to the population at large, each individual's response may show something entirely different.

So far there has been minimal transmission in the wild in India. Let's hope it stays that way, but be prepared for the worst.
Its not the flu, get your basics right
Also, I meant scientific paper, not some random business insider article.

Brazil, New Zealand, Australia are warm right now, they still have cases.

Also, if the individual is human, then they will have human physiological reactions which are well understood, physcological reactions are individual and can create the sense of acidity or anything else you like.
Last edited by Raveen on 21 Mar 2020 00:52, edited 2 times in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

sudeepj wrote:
hanumadu wrote:How long before we have a virus with the fatality of SARS-COV-1 and the contagiousness of SARS-COV-2?
Usually, the more deadly a virus or bacteria is, the more the pressures of natural selection and evolution against it! Most viruses are much more potent when they first emerge, pressures of natural selection ensure that they become less of a threat with time. Its not in the viruses self interest (if a virus can have a self interest!) to kill the host! This can be seen in all viruses throughout history. Even HIV used to be much more deadly early on but now the virus is not as deadly.

Please digest the posts that raise new information before comment. HIV is now a chronic infection not because of attenuation of the virus but because patients are on life long antiretroviral drugs.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Gerard wrote:The more fatal a virus is, the less chance to spread. The most successful viruses are found embedded in human DNA, in every cell, passed down in all humans. Their dna is inactivated and does nothing.

Please digest posts before commenting. Not all viruses are retroviruses. And their DNA is not really viral DNA anymore. Thus they are not really evolutionarily successful. Further the human genome seems to make extensive use of regulatory sequences that derive from retroviruses. These viruses and humans seem to have been coevolving. They also seem to provide transposon elements that again drive gene flow.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

vera_k wrote:Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown
No society can safeguard public health for long at the cost of its economic health
Didn't read the article because it requires subscription however I don't agree with the statement, at all. Coming from the WSJ though it's hardly surprising.

Actually it is quite the opposite. That's why we see the economic chaos during covid19.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Rahul M wrote:my friends from sweden and netherlands are reporting that they are under complete house arrest, with only bi-weekly visits for buying basic items allowed. also,sweden is very ikely fudging numbers.
I would not be surprised about this, at all.... Although I'm not sure it's deliberate. There are probly many more carrying it than those identified. I had posted an article and video about this, and unless I misunderstood, conservatively, there are 8x more infected than those reported at any given moment.
Last edited by Cain Marko on 21 Mar 2020 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

In Finland official identified cases are 450 but government has said real number is 20 or 30 times more. In Finland they are not testing everyone only those who ended up in hospitals or medical staff returning from foreign trips.
All schools and colleges are closed. Day cares are open and so are restaurants and super-markets but people are not going to restaurants. Government has advised people to visit hospitals only in urgent or emergency situation. All non-urgent appointments and surgeries are postponed.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Italy reports 5,986 new cases of coronavirus and 627 new deaths, raising total to 47,021 cases and 4,032 dead.

France reports 1,617 new cases of coronavirus and 78 new deaths, raising total to 12,612 cases and 450 dead.

UK reports 714 new cases of coronavirus and 33 new deaths, raising total to 3,983 cases and 177 dead.

Pakistan gets USD 588 million from World Bank and ADB.