Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vimal
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by vimal »

arvin wrote:https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/t ... 2020-03-21

Kerala count up by 12 to 52. But positive side is (pun intended) all cases are dubai returned and not local transmission. 6 in kasargod, 3 in kannur, 3 in ernakulam.
All the mallu commies are now spinning it as India problem and not Kerela problem. Most were so smug and calling out the Bimaru states for their poor handling of the China Virus.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

The TN health minister has been doing a fabulous job. He is a qualified medical doctor that knows how health apparatus of the state works and has put his intimate knowledge to good use.

For past 3 months, TN has been assiduously building ventilators, hospital isolation wards, etc., in every district and educating and training health workers and police on how to do tracing, enforce home quarantine, plan B, plan C, etc.

His plan to close the border with KA, KL and AP is a very good move as KL muzzies will invade coimbatore hospitals.

All the little things KA gets praised for in SM such as drunkards standing in queue maintaining social distancing is also enforced in TN without the fanfare. By most accounts, he is working like a man possessed.

If things were to get worse, TN would come out best equipped to handle it.

Some poster earlier called the minister mediocre without any shred of evidence. Far from the truth.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The joker complaining about the thermal scanner, seems to be off twitter. Saw a comment that action has been initiated against the jocker.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Guys, is Wuhan still in lockdown condition? If so then how long rest of world needs to be? Can we afford a long time shutdown?
This will have a toll on economy. So instead of dieing due to corona we will be killed by economy.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Gerard wrote:Finland scoffs at WHO's coronavirus testing protocol, suggests organization doesn't understand how pandemics work
A senior Finnish health official has dismissed a World Health Organization (WHO) advisory to test as many people as possible for coronavirus, arguing that such a measure would be completely illogical when combating a pandemic.
I have been wondering too.....what will intense testing really do? We need to assume that a lot more are affected due to the nature of this virus. Isolate, isolate, isolate. There seems to be no other viable treatment for now in anycase.

I'm sure I'm missing some major component here.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

To avoid Covid-19 disaster, treat more patients at home
One such step reflects the finding that hospitals might be “the main” source of Covid-19 transmission, the Bergamo doctors warned. The related coronavirus illness MERS also has high transmission rates within hospitals, as did SARS during its 2003 epidemic.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

I have heard this multiple times on the forum. How exactly will people be "killed" by economy? It is not like some of us haven't experienced rationing. Can't the GOI take over food supply in the short term? Just simple dal-chawal/roti will give most people adequate nutrition in terms of protein, carbs and fat. Micronutrients could take a hit but these too can be arranged for in the long run.

Or are we expecting farmers to suddenly stop production entirely? Or public utilities like water supply to come to a screeching halt?
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

As Coronavirus Looms, a Hospital Begins Sterilizing Masks for Reuse
Masks are certified for one-time use only. But on Thursday, the center began an experimental procedure to decontaminate its masks with ultraviolet light and reuse them. Administrators plan to use each mask for a week or longer.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Bart S wrote:
chola wrote:Cheen recorded 41 cases of imported coronavirus on Friday. That's just in one day compared to India's 250 cases overall.

Human nature is that any recovering nation will see this reverse flow. If Cheen becomes re-infected again then that pretty much means that the thing can't be stopped.

As much as we dislike the chinks, in this case we should hope they recover otherwise the future dims for all of us.

https://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.p ... 7157&gfv=1
Aren't the mandatorily quarantining every incoming person now at that person's expense? If so this may not impact them much as it is fairly low risk. It's not like in India where people are 'encouraged' to home quarantine (something that they or their family promptly violate) or can argue/fight their way out of the airport like many 'middle-east returnees' have been doing.
I believe they switched from the two-weeks home quarantine to the mandatory "you-pay-for-quarantine" after losing control. I don't think it is low-risk.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/asia/bei ... index.html
A Chinese Australian woman breached coronavirus quarantine in Beijing to go for a jog -- and lost her job
They are scrambling home in increasing numbers.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... s-the-West
Overseas Chinese flock home as coronavirus blankets the West
Beijing uses big data to intercept imported cases from US and Europe
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Pubs closed!! The end is nigh

Ben Judah @b_judah · Mar 20

Breaking: Britain closes the pubs.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

How koreans are testing. Technology, hope our nation realize the importance of technology.

https://twitter.com/ErikSolheim/status/ ... 3212211200
Last edited by nam on 22 Mar 2020 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Chinis are crowding flights back to Cheen and Hong Kong. They f this up and boom! second wave.

If they are lying and all these idiots are going back to die, it'll expose CPC lies more readily than anything else.

https://mobile.twitter.com/drmchitwood/ ... 1676486657
Dr Michael Chitwood
@drmchitwood
Look at this... The flight from London to Hong Kong is like fighting a bio chemical crisis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
With many flights to China canceled amid the outbreak, seats were already relatively scarce. But the sudden spike in demand means prices have skyrocketed, with the few remaining economy-class seats from U.S. airports going for four or five times the usual rate.
BSR Murthy
BRFite

Post by BSR Murthy »

Another contrarian viewpoint on the draconian countermeasures taken to combat the Corona outbreak. An excellent piece by renowned science man John P.A. Ioannidis, professor of medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.
A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Spain: 300 today.

I was yesterday assuming Europe might be facing 1k death per day. Now i feel it will be 1500 per day soon.

What I find out is that there are roughly 3000 people in ICU in Italy. Italy seems to be loosing 30% of ICU patients per day. Very high rate of death. They seem to not able to keep people alive despite being in ICU and all the modern equipment.

I don't know if they are making conscious decision to let go lot of the ICU patients and try to save the incoming batch.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^ Read poster DavidD's previous to previous post. He is a doctor and he mentioned this (last week itself) that in Italy the doctors had made a conscious decision to let the very old people die- literally. (perhaps due to shortage of something).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:^^^ Read poster DavidD's previous to previous post. He is a doctor and he mentioned this (last week itself) that in Italy the doctors had made a conscious decision to let the very old people die- literally. (perhaps due to shortage of something).
the people that the doctors decide can't be saved just do not get hospital beds.

Their systems are so overwhelmed that they have resorted to battle field condition of triage to optimize the use of scarce medical resources

triage

NOUN
1. (in a hospital) the principle or practice of sorting emergency patients into categories of priority for treatment

2. the principle or practice of sorting casualties in battle or disaster into categories of priority for treatment

3. the principle or practice of allocating limited resources, as of food or foreign aid, (or even medical aid) on a basis of expediency rather than according to moral principles or the needs of the recipients
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

BSR Murthy wrote:Another contrarian viewpoint on the draconian countermeasures taken to combat the Corona outbreak. An excellent piece by renowned science man John P.A. Ioannidis, professor of medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.
A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data
This has already been disproven
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

A lesson from this epidemic. Every country on it's own. There has not a word spoken about "European union" and sharing in this crisis. Everyone is hording medical equipment for themselves.

UK is ordering 30K ventilator from it's local industries. The design teams are on 24 hour shift. Prototypes are coming out soon and plans for production in a week or so.

Time we raise our war economy.
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

nam wrote: I don't know if they are making conscious decision to let go lot of the ICU patients and try to save the incoming batch.
Saar it seems to be a conscious decision.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/12/cor ... hance-of-s
BSR Murthy
BRFite

Post by BSR Murthy »

Raveen wrote:
BSR Murthy wrote:Another contrarian viewpoint on the draconian countermeasures taken to combat the Corona outbreak. An excellent piece by renowned science man John P.A. Ioannidis, professor of medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.
Really? How and where? Do you have any source?
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

BSR Murthy wrote:
Raveen wrote:
Really? How and where? Do you have any source?
One thing is for sure... The UK, which the article espouses as making the correct decision in not following isolation, suddenly changed its mind and now is following the rest of the world in following isolation.

There are other issues as well, one rather noteworthy one is that "billions" will be at risk of death thanks to the economic downturn resulting from lockdowns. From a man who is so emphatic about the need for data, I'd like to see some data about where he gets this projection.

What we do know now from Italy without much doubt is that a lack of isolation can be rather catastrophic.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

In India, perhaps, one small relief is that with school examinations cancelled (board exams schedule or status not yet finalized I believe), most of them are heading directly in to summer vacations...so another two months of quarantine for kids. It is up to the parents now to make sure that kids follow social distancing and not let them mingle with sleep overs & stuff. I do hope the kids force the parents (at least the non-working one) in to a quarantine as well...

My spidey sense is saying that probably by end of next week, GoI will be mulling or would have announced a 7 or 15 days lock down to isolate as many cases as possible and try to slow down initial stages of community transmission.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

UK Chief scientific adviser understood it may not be possible to stop this infection from running through the population, until the vaccine arrives. It will be ether 1st or 2nd or 3rd wave, but it will run through.

He wanted to make it quicker rather than prolong the whole thing. People are going to die either ways.

I also thought it was a bizzare decision to keep schools open. However after a while, i am now resigned to the inevitable.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

KLNMurthy wrote:
Q to docs:

Is there some concern about lasting lung damage, even if one survives?
Not a pulmonologist, but here it is Murthy Ji.

I had posted this news from Hong Kong several pages back. The report is not too good, suggesting patients after recovery will have a reduced lung capacity by 20-30% and would have shortness of breath on walking briskly. However, the report does not say how many of these patients were on a ventilator. Of course no long term implications can be deduced from this. I guess, the general recovery may be similar to ARDS from other causes.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... s-may-have
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

What I'm really not seeing from anywhere is ANY data about how an economic downturn is suddenly going to kill people. AFAIK people didn't die in the great recession unless they were wall street types jumping from windows.

Yes there'll be a loss of jobs but this need not kill anyone if govts intervene, which they will in order to get basic supplies to large populations.

Unlike 50-100 years ago, the world at large is in a much better position to weather economic downturns. Food production is at an all time high. Infrastructure to get food to centers of population is much better globally, and most people are located in well connected urban areas, where supplies can reach. Add to this the surplus of fuel from lack of industrial production and supply chains for basic necessities should be secure.

Unless the economic downturn is somehow going to cause a natural disaster like a famine or drought, I don't see anything happening. Otoh all indications are that mother nature will feel a lot better if industrial production slows down.

Now it may happen that the economic recession leads to war, which could result in all sorts of basic shortages. But I don't see the danger to life from economic debacles directly. Yes, people will probly have to make do without highly processed foods and hi funda technology, but last I checked, thats not going to kill anyone.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

sanjaykumar wrote:https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-f ... fLhcfgGJws
Bravo, that says it all.
Article was posted earlier and questions were raised.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Some good news
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... BkjcZV2t2I

No shortage of masks, sanitisers: Centre amid Covid-19 outbreak
Union minister of state for chemicals and fertilisers Mansukh Mandaviya briefed media persons regarding the decisions taken by the Cabinet such as adequate availability of the items that are needed to combat the Covid-19 outbreak.
The Centre on Saturday emphasised that the country was prepared to meet the challenges posed by the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and there is no shortage of key items such as protective masks, sanitisers and tablets that can boost immunity.

“Over 1.5 crore masks are being produced daily, santisers and tablets that can boost immunity are all available in ample quantity,” said Mandaviya.

“We are ready to meet all the requirements,” he added.

“The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority [NPPA] carried out an assessment last week regarding the requirement of masks. Over 1.5 crore are being manufactured daily by 112 units. There is no shortage of masks and sanitisers. Over 2 crore tablets that can boost immunity are also available. We have the capacity to fight the outbreak,” the minister said.
PPE is required first by docs, then us.

So, 1.5 Million masks daily.

Tablets - i am assuming he means 2 Cr tablets, for antivirals etc. That's 20 Million tablets. Assuming 20 tablets per infection, that's 2 Million doses. We need far more.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

India will be much better placed to face an economic catastrophe. Its people mostly live close to the land with minimal expectations from government. Everybody has an ancestral village and a relative who grows wheat or rice.

The US citizenry is responding to a potential crisis in the only way they know-by buying guns.

India and China can lose 300 million and probably come out better for it. Can any other society?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

nam wrote:A lesson from this epidemic. Every country on it's own. There has not a word spoken about "European union" and sharing in this crisis. Everyone is hording medical equipment for themselves.

UK is ordering 30K ventilator from it's local industries. The design teams are on 24 hour shift. Prototypes are coming out soon and plans for production in a week or so.

Time we raise our war economy.
We need design teams able to manage the same. Some of the cribs by ventilator companies are nuts.

In an era of 3D printing, they should be able to manage without certain parts.

With cheap mobile phones available en masse, you don't need LCD panels if they are in shortage.

Mass stockpile components, raw materials in advance.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

sanjaykumar wrote:India will be much better placed to face an economic catastrophe. Its people mostly live close to the land with minimal expectations from government. Everybody has an ancestral village and a relative who grows wheat or rice.

The US citizenry is responding to a potential crisis in the only way they know-by buying guns.

India and China can lose 300 million and probably come out better for it. Can any other society?
This is a very good point. Right now the US really needs good governance and measures taken to ensure that gun toting jackasses are kept in check and food/basic supplies are secured. Some small towns have already enacted laws to empower local authorities to restrict firearms sales iirc
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

No Data shown though .... But an interesting POV

[quote]People with Type-A blood are more susceptible to COVID-19.
On March 11, 2020, researchers in China released a preliminary draft of a study that collected data on the ABO blood types of 2,173 patients with lab-verified cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease from two hospitals in Wuhan and one in Shenzhen. The researchers compared the distribution of blood types in the infected patients to the distribution of blood types of uninfected people (as a control group) from Wuhan City and Shenzhen City.

The team analyzed the data in an effort to answer two questions. First, if infection from COVID-19 appeared disproportionately high or low in any blood group; and second, if instances of death from COVID-19 had any relationship to blood type. The researchers found that:

People with blood Type-A blood were more susceptible to both infection and death from COVID-19.
People with blood Type-O were less susceptible to both infection and death from COVID-19.
These results, which the authors cautioned should not be used to guide clinical practice, came with several caveats. First, this study is a draft of a research paper that has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in any journal. Second, the study is limited in both sample size and geographic scope. Speaking to the South China Morning Post, Gao Yingdai, a Tianjin-based researcher not involved in the study, said that while a 2,000-person sample is not necessarily small, it is dwarfed by the number of cases globally.

Tara Moriarty, an expert in infectious diseases and immunopathology with the University of Toronto, told us by email that the study provides “an interesting observation that may have an impact on how we identify those most at risk of disease, but until it has been fully peer-reviewed and confirmed/disconfirmed by additional studies, we cannot yet say if blood type affects susceptibility to COVID-19 infection.”

Gao, the Tianjin-based researcher, echoed this point with the Morning Post, saying the results “may be helpful to medical professionals, but ordinary citizens should not take the statistics too seriously” and that “If you are type A, there is no need to panic.”

ABO blood type is determined by the presence or absence of specific proteins or sugars known as antibodies found in the plasma component of blood, as well as the presence or absence of proteins or sugars known as antigens found on the surface of red blood cells. Several viral infections, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), appear to have a certain affinity for specific blood types. “Blood type groups are associated with differences in vulnerability to infection with multiple viruses, and severity of outcomes, Moriarity told us. “Examples include HIV, viruses that cause gastrointestinal illness (norovirus, rotavirus), as well as the SARS coronavirus that caused the 2002-2003 SARS outbreak.”

The exact mechanism behind difference in how viruses respond to blood types is not well-understood, but may involve how antigens and antibodies inhibit or promote a virus binding to the surface of a cell, Moriarity said.

In short, ample scientific evidence exists for the hypothesis that COVID-19 — or other infections — could affect people differently depending on their blood type. However, such a conclusion cannot be made confidently on the basis of a single study that has yet to be peer reviewed or published in a journal. As such, we rank this claim about blood types as “Unproven.”

SNOPES.COM
[quote]
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Cain Marko wrote:What I'm really not seeing from anywhere is ANY data about how an economic downturn is suddenly going to kill people. AFAIK people didn't die in the great recession unless they were wall street types jumping from windows.

Yes there'll be a loss of jobs but this need not kill anyone if govts intervene, which they will in order to get basic supplies to large populations.

Unlike 50-100 years ago, the world at large is in a much better position to weather economic downturns. Food production is at an all time high. Infrastructure to get food to centers of population is much better globally, and most people are located in well connected urban areas, where supplies can reach. Add to this the surplus of fuel from lack of industrial production and supply chains for basic necessities should be secure.

Unless the economic downturn is somehow going to cause a natural disaster like a famine or drought, I don't see anything happening. Otoh all indications are that mother nature will feel a lot better if industrial production slows down.

Now it may happen that the economic recession leads to war, which could result in all sorts of basic shortages. But I don't see the danger to life from economic debacles directly. Yes, people will probly have to make do without highly processed foods and hi funda technology, but last I checked, thats not going to kill anyone.
Absolutely spot on. But the biggest thing that such people are missing is, that if there is a major virus infection based catastrophe (something that we at least have a chance of stopping or slowing down if there is a lockdown), the economy will be devastated anyway.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Bravo, that says it all.

Its old data and already disproven like Cain said
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, I am no great epidemiologist, and I support all the precautionary lock-down measures. And in my heart of heart I feel next 2 months or so, this crisis will be over. I could be wrong, but this is my hunch.

Thats why, I cannot stand ass holes like this Ramanan Laxminarayan puking with Burka Bibi that India will see 300M to 500M cases by July and we could see up to 2M deaths. I mean this f!cker should be jailed for spreading this kind of unnecessary panic

https://twitter.com/BDUTT/status/1241389385700052992
Last edited by CRamS on 22 Mar 2020 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

chetak wrote:kanika kapoor, the singer who willfully evaded screening on her return from the UK and knowingly attended large public functions as befitting her "star" status.

this is the bollywoodia "41 year old" baby doll.
Kanika Kapoor and her a$$e licker Sodumb Kapoor must be sent to Pakistan. If she wants to be treated properly, let her and her friends in Bollywood build a hospital with 100 ICU bets in UP and another hospital with 100 ICU beds in Bihar.

Till that time, they are the tumors on the nation and the earth.

I do hope that couple of folks from the party develop the chinavirus symptoms quickly and just die. That will send a shiver down the bollytards and they will be the first running around with 'social distance'. Nothing impacts them more then saving their sorry selfish a$$es.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

They did a study a few years back. Shutting down everything delays the virus two weeks and flattens the curve a bit at the cost of massive damage to the economy and no reduction in patient numbers and a possible reduction in deaths. Better to get it over with and get back to work. Shutting down the border completely buys six weeks, which would have helped. Shutting down everything is just plain nuts if you don't have a vaccine. The population isn't going to develop immunity on their own and the damage to the economy ensures there's no positive side to it.

The UK strategy is what the world should be following.
nam wrote:UK Chief scientific adviser understood it may not be possible to stop this infection from running through the population, until the vaccine arrives. It will be ether 1st or 2nd or 3rd wave, but it will run through.

He wanted to make it quicker rather than prolong the whole thing. People are going to die either ways.

I also thought it was a bizzare decision to keep schools open. However after a while, i am now resigned to the inevitable.
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

Individual incidents don't matter in statistics unless it's a huge outlier. They even out as they occur at random. The trends remain the same and so, statistically, you can predict how many would have died naturally and make a reasoned call with a state degree of confidence that so many people likely died of ncovid-19.
Mort Walker wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Wuhan virus deaths should not be reported solely based on confirmed cases. It may be more reasonable to report all excess deaths as being due to the virus.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/15/italian- ... -12401012/
Then that means in India we should report bus accidents that kill 10-12 people as excess due to Corona virus?
devaraya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by devaraya »

Raveen wrote:

Bravo, that says it all.

Its old data and already disproven like Cain said
Posting response from Harry Drake to John Ioannidis's;

A response to John Ioannidis's article A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data (March 17, 2020) in which he downplays the severe risks posed by coronavirus pandemic.
On March 17, John Ioannidis published a column in which he downplays descriptions of coronavirusas a “once-in-a-century pandemic”, instead calling the worldwide response “a once-in-a-century datafiasco” [4]. The main thrust of the article, which I address in points (i)-(iii) below, is that we still know very little about the disease, its fatality rate, and the overall risks it poses to public health; and that inface of this uncertainty, we should seek additional data in order to make evidence-based policy decisions. Loannidis’s call for additional evidence and study may be fully appropriate in every other research setting one could imagine. But it is wholly inappropriate for handling dynamic and complex problems in realtime. The article makes no definitive claims, but plants seeds of confusion and sheds plenty of doubtabout the worldwide effort to fight the pandemic. If the viewpoint in Ioannidis’s column were shared byeven a small fraction of the general public or by anyone in a position of authority—president, governor,mayor, school superintendent—its consequences could be severe. The virus would continue to spread indefinitely, infecting tens or hundreds of thousands, further overwhelming the healthcare system, leading to unnecessary deaths and total disaster
https://www.researchers.one/article/2020-03-10
Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Post by Arun.prabhu »

CDC Influenza like illness data indicates that ncovid-19 has been running amok amongst the US citizenry since at least mid-Jan. Forty or fifty thousand than the previous year more cases of undiagnosed flu like cases that did not test positive for A or B strains of the flu.

2018-19 data
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyar ... egt39.html

2019-20 data
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyar ... egt11.html

The testing that is being done, by virtue of selection criteria for the tests and the limited quantities of test kits, skews the dataset towards higher mortality rates and worse outcome patients. What seems to be happening here is that with the US finally waking up and mass producing and distributing tests, the existing cases are being found. This reduces the mortality rate - I expect American mortality rate to come down and concede that I was wrong about the large mortality rates in China where the testing bottleneck was way worse (they could do just a couple of thousand tests a day.)
ricky_v wrote:US well on the way to silver