Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
VKumar
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by VKumar »

Grocery and Pharma stores, e-commerce are open. However their supply chain is not permitted to function! Right from Ports, Factories, warehouses, transport, police is not permitting any movement, even though Consumer Affairs Ministry has written to each State.

Wine stores have been closed. They are not part of food chain it seems.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

deleted
Last edited by manju on 23 Mar 2020 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

deleted
Last edited by manju on 23 Mar 2020 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

IndraD wrote:News of more and more young fit and well population falling severely ill with covid19!
From 35 to 47 year old are being ventilated in ITU with no precondition. Virus is unpredictable.

Same behaviour as the 1918 Flu pandemic (which originated in China)
05-0979-f2

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979-f2

can u please share the link for the above table?
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Trump sends out a tweet saying that "we can't let the cure be worse than the problem". Many are interpreting this as a sign that after 15 days of lockdown, he may lift it even if the situation with virus is dire...to prevent further economic meltdown. This probably means that many aged Americans with under lying conditions & some young ones too, can kiss goodbye until a vaccine is found.

Problem is if US follows this model, many other countries may try or be forced to emulate it. So essentially, we are saying that like in the past, this pandemic will take a lot of lives but we gotta look to the future.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

I have a feeling that his China virus for good or bad will shape our public behavior in the years to come
- swatch bharat-
- Move in lines slowly as opposed piling up on each other
- the radius of our personal space will increase
etc
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

sanjaykumar wrote:^^yes the HIV epidemic that was almost gleefully predicted in India never materialized. India managed to disappoint some people again.
Indian HIV Drug manufacturing companies lowered the cost of HIV drugs which was the main reasons why HIV was well controlled

Now the dictum is If you treat every HIV patient you prevent HIV transmission. HIV infection is now purely out patient disease unless the patient is stupid or too stoned to take the HIV meds regularly
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Second ‘door’ to the coronavirus was found in human cells:
Chinese scientists have found another target for the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus on the surface of human cells. It is the CD147 protein, which, incidentally, is used not only by the previous coronavirus, the causative agent of SARS, but also by the malaria plasmodium. By blocking this protein, the researchers were able to stop the virus from spreading in the cell culture. Clinical trials of the corresponding blocking drug have begun. The work was published on the bioRxiv prepress portal.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

madhu wrote:
anmol wrote:Image
i think this is still preliminary research. probably given as sympathetic drug. i dont even see a good paper that is randomized, controlled double blind test.

Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial
Background
Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been found to be efficient on SARS-CoV-2, and reported to be efficient in Chinese COV-19 patients. We evaluate the role of hydroxychloroquine on respiratory viral loads.

Patients and methods
French Confirmed COVID-19 patients were included in a single arm protocol from early March to March 16th, to receive 600mg of hydroxychloroquine daily and their viral load in nasopharyngeal swabs was tested daily in a hospital setting. Depending on their clinical presentation, azithromycin was added to the treatment. Untreated patients from another center and cases refusing the protocol were included as negative controls. Presence and absence of virus at Day6-post inclusion was considered the end point.

Results
Six patients were asymptomatic, 22 had upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and eight had lower respiratory tract infection symptoms.

Twenty cases were treated in this study and showed a significant reduction of the viral carriage at D6-post inclusion compared to controls, and much lower average carrying duration than reported of untreated patients in the literature. Azithromycin added to hydroxychloroquine was significantly more efficient for virus elimination.

Conclusion
Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin.
Still, quite encouraging. Look at the graph at the end with zero viral load in the combination group at 5 days. Even if this is only partially scalable to a larger population, it looks very promising, the best news we've had so far. Granted the numbers are small, but I am sure this can be quickly replicated elsewhere.

This paper has now gone viral. One needs to be cautious about prophylactic use due to to the QT-prolongation effect of both the drugs, something that was pointed out earlier here. Still, people are right to consider this in the groups at highest risk or once exposure is confirmed and/or diagnosis is positive.

Here is a link to the full pdf download from another source:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Incidentally, some pharmacies in our area have already started offering compounding for the combination, along with zinc.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Gerard wrote:Second ‘door’ to the coronavirus was found in human cells:
Chinese scientists have found another target for the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus on the surface of human cells. It is the CD147 protein, which, incidentally, is used not only by the previous coronavirus, the causative agent of SARS, but also by the malaria plasmodium. By blocking this protein, the researchers were able to stop the virus from spreading in the cell culture. Clinical trials of the corresponding blocking drug have begun. The work was published on the bioRxiv prepress portal.
Docs - Please translate this for folks like me.

Does this give any hope?
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

With so many gulf return mallus testing positive, there is something wrong with the numbers being reported by middle eastern countries.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

manju wrote:
IndraD wrote:News of more and more young fit and well population falling severely ill with covid19!
From 35 to 47 year old are being ventilated in ITU with no precondition. Virus is unpredictable.

Same behaviour as the 1918 Flu pandemic (whi
This is actually encouraging. 94% of Indians are under 65 and (in the US) only 20-30% of them needed hospitalisation.
In India it would be less, as we don't typically see a doctor when we have flu (which is what a light Covid infection will be like).
Someone over 85 years would almost certainly die, irrespective of the quality of care.

Peak infection rate is 2000 per million (in provinces of Northern Italy and New York City). If Indian cities with 100 million population have the
same infection rate (worst case scenario - as no place has got that with even a partial lock-down in place), we'd have 2 lac infected but not
more than 25,000 beds required, of which 5000 would be ICU. That can be done.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

with the covidout.in site down I can't find any other India specific dashboard.

I remember seeing one other dashboard by a govt/semi-govt organisation. I am NOT talking about https://www.mohfw.gov.in/ which doesn't have graphs.

it wasn't as nicely done as covidout.in but it did have the daily new cases bar chart I am looking for.

if anyone remembers and can post it,I would be thankful.
regards.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The CD147 receptor is certainly potential target for blocking entry. They seem to a moiety that blocks it. One hopes it is a repurposed drug already approved for some condition. Otherwise it is a long way through clinical trials.

Every locus of attachment entry replication is a potential drug target. Drug combinations may be more effective and also less toxic than higher dosages of a single agent.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rahul M wrote:with the covidout.in site down I can't find any other India specific dashboard.

I remember seeing one other dashboard by a govt/semi-govt organisation. I am NOT talking about https://www.mohfw.gov.in/ which doesn't have graphs.

it wasn't as nicely done as covidout.in but it did have the daily new cases bar chart I am looking for.

if anyone remembers and can post it,I would be thankful.
regards.
this may be what you are looking for. Its a site maintained by the ICMR and updated fairly regularly

COVID-19 Resource Center
Maintained by : ICMR National Institute of Epidemiology , Chennai

http://covidindiaupdates.in/
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks a lot chetak ji.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

someone correct me if wrong. The anti-malaria drug is been used on patients to reduce the virus load. Fundamentally save them from dying.

People will still need hospitalization, however we may see reduction in death numbers.

Would it help in the cases, when someone is just starting showing symptoms? ICMR seems to be recommending it even for family member of a positive patient.
devaraya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by devaraya »

I know some folks in here are working on building a model, ..here is the model from University of Basel and they have released the source code

https://neherlab.org/covid19/

Could be used as planning tool for COVID-19 outbreaks in communities across the world. It implements a simple SIR (Susceptible-Infected-Recovered) model with additional categories for individuals exposed to the virus that are not yet infectious, severely sick people in need of hospitalization, people in critical condition, and a fatal category.

Basic assumptions
The model works as follows:
• susceptible individuals are exposed/infected through contact with infectious individuals. Each infectious individual causes on average R0R_0R0 secondary infections while they are infectious. Transmissibility of the virus could have seasonal variation which is parameterized with the parameter "seasonal forcing" (amplitude) and "peak month" (month of most efficient transmission).
• exposed individuals progress to a symptomatic/infectious state after an average latency
• infectious individuals recover or progress to severe disease. The ratio of recovery to severe progression depends on age
• severely sick individuals either recover or deteriorate and turn critical. Again, this depends on the age
• critically ill individuals either return to regular hospital or die. Again, this depends on the age
The individual parameters of the model can be changed to allow exploration of different scenarios.

There’s another group sharing the COVID Data + Tools, that’s constantly being updated.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wkv ... GKKNM/edit#
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

20K tests so far. 471 positive. Infection ratio of 2.35%.

UK infection to testing ratio is around 7%.

Since India is testing people with symptoms and contacts, we should technically be having a higher infection ratio. There is one glimmer of hope.
Last edited by nam on 24 Mar 2020 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

nam wrote:someone correct me if wrong. The anti-malaria drug is been used on patients to reduce the virus load. Fundamentally save them from dying.

People will still need hospitalization, however we may see reduction in death numbers.

Would it help in the cases, when someone is just starting showing symptoms? ICMR seems to be recommending it even for family member of a positive patient.
Chloroquine has very good anti pyretic and anti inflamatory effect.. that should help in symptomatic patients.. risk benefit ratio is certainly in favour of chloroquine in known or suspected COVID 19 patients..
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

DrRatnadip wrote:
nam wrote:someone correct me if wrong. The anti-malaria drug is been used on patients to reduce the virus load. Fundamentally save them from dying.

Chloroquine has very good anti pyretic and anti inflamatory effect.. that should help in symptomatic patients.. risk benefit ratio is certainly in favour of chloroquine in known or suspected COVID 19 patients..
So it potentially could be used to prevent hospitalization of symptomatic patients? Like we do with flu.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

It is the CD147 protein, which, incidentally, is used not only by the previous coronavirus, the causative agent of SARS, but also by the malaria plasmodium.
Is it why Chloroquin is working against this virus closing one of the doors that the virus is able to latch on? Then is it possible that Azithromax closes the second door too?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Actor Daniel Dae Kim believes an anti-malarial drug was key to his recovery from coronavirus.

The 51-year-old actor revealed last week he'd contracted the disease and he's now praised hydroxychloroquine as being "critical" in his treatment because he's feeling "practically back to normal".

Speaking in an Instagram video he shared at the weekend, he said: "Yes, this is the drug that the President mentioned the other day."

He noted that Dr. Anthony Fauci had cautioned stories of the success of the drug in combating the virus were only "based on personal accounts."

He added: "Well, add my name to those personal accounts, because I am feeling better..

"I won't say this is a cure and I won't say definitively that you should go out and use it, but what I will say is that I believe it was crucial to my recovery.
Florida man with coronavirus says drug touted by Trump saved his life
By Tamar LapinMarch 22, 2020

A Florida man diagnosed with coronavirus claims he was saved from certain death by an anti-malaria drug touted as a possible treatment by President Trump.

Rio Giardinieri, 52, told Los Angeles’ Fox 11 that he struggled with horrendous back pain, headaches, cough and fatigue for five days after catching COVID-19, possibly at a conference in New York.

Doctors at the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in South Florida diagnosed him with the coronavirus and pneumonia and put him on oxygen in the ICU, he told the outlet.

After more than a week, doctors told him there was nothing more they could do and, on Friday evening, Giardinieri said goodbye to his wife and three children.

“I was at the point where I was barely able to speak and breathing was very challenging,” Giardinieri said. “I really thought my end was there.”

Then a friend sent him a recent article about hydroxychloroquine, a prescription drug that’s been used to treat malaria for decades and auto-immune diseases like lupus.

Overseas studies have found it to be promising as a treatment for COVID-19, though it hasn’t been approved by health officials.

Trump last week said he was instructing the FDA to fast-track testing of hydroxychloroquine and a related drug, chloroquine, as treatment for COVID-19.

Giardinieri said he contacted an infectious disease doctor about the drug.

“He gave me all the reasons why I would probably not want to try it because there are no trials, there’s no testing, it was not something that was approved,” said Giardinieri.

“And I said, ‘Look, I don’t know if I’m going to make it until the morning,’ because at that point I really thought I was coming to the end because I couldn’t breathe anymore,” Giardinieri continued.

“He agreed and authorized the use of it and 30 minutes later the nurse gave it to me.”

After about an hour on an IV with the medicine, Giardinieri said, it felt like his heart was beating out of his chest and, about two hours later, he had another episode where he couldn’t breathe.

He says he was given Benadryl and some other drugs and that when he woke up around 4:45 a.m., it was “like nothing ever happened.”

He’s since had no fever or pain and can breathe again. Giardinieri said doctors believe the episodes he experienced were not a reaction to the medicine but his body fighting off the virus.

Giardinieri, the vice president of a company that manufactures cooking equipment for high-end restaurants in Los Angeles, said he had three doses of the medicine Saturday and is hoping to be discharged from the hospital in five days.

“To me, there was no doubt in mind that I wouldn’t make it until morning,” said Giardinieri. “So to me, the drug saved my life.”
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Amazing recovery.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Probably the most hopeful thing I've read in weeks. I hope our pharmaceuticals can churn this out. I hope it is one of those that we don't need to import the base ingredients for.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

If real people are recovering because of these drugs, then how is it different from a clinical trial? Just that the paperwork hasn't been filled out?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

nam let me put down what I know so far from vast reading. Don"t demand links.

Currently, Seattle is Wuhan of the USA. The doctors there are working around the clock.
What was noted is there are two strains or types of the virus.
The mild cause most of the symptoms and gets cured by itself in due course. Self-isolation is recommended.
The severe form requires hospitalization with ventilation and the whole nine yards.
It is responding to Hydrochloroqunine and azithromycin. Antiviral is not working.
Once the patients need to get ventilator chances are 25% to Zero% survival.

In India, there is no locally developed infection. All cases are from community spread from travelers.
hence testing is being conducted on all returnees and to those with definite exposure.
So mass testing is not being done as it is not useful and it is expensive. India is doing the full PCR test.

ICMR in India is recommending health care workers with a risk of exposure, the family of confirmed Covid patients to be prescribed Hydrocholorqunine. The protocol was issued on the morning of 23 March 2020.
This is by prescription only.

Idia is blessed with mfg capability for both.
A blister pack of Hydrochloroqunine costs 130 rupees and 270 for Zithromax.
All APIs for this are made in India.

Govt has banned exports to stockpile the drugs.

As the Florida news reports indicate its working.

Yes FDA is still not approving but the US protocol is to administer it on compassionate grounds.

Four US firms and 3 EU firms, 4 Indian labs/firms are working on a vaccine.
India is developing a 19 variant vaccine to ensure total coverage. That's what the ICMR isolating 19 strands is all about.

Also, GOI has made is an offense to forward WA/etc to post unverified Covid-19 information.

One of our members posted a gif on how isolation dramatically reduces the propagation.

My hats of to him for it. I Will post it once I find it.

----

https://twitter.com/pd_8888/status/1241 ... 36608?s=20
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

While the whole argument has been around TFTA testing level of SK & Singapore, people seem to forget how Vietnam, despite not having the tech level of these countries AND bordering China, has managed to contain it.

The difference is simple. Vietnam locked it's border. Europe didn't.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Gerard wrote:Jean Drèze
Sir, Jean Dreze is the perennial anti-Hindu and the brain behind Sonia's NAC. He wants to try out his stupid theories on India and in the process win couple of prizes incl. the NoBull prize.

The only reason he should be mentioned in the august pages of the BRF would be to ridicule him.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

vijayk wrote:
Does this give any hope?
Yes. How does the virus reproduce?

In simple terms is a DNA/RNA encapsulated in a protein that may be encapsulated further in a lipid (coronavirus is later and hence washing hands help).

To replicate itself, the virus enters a cell (plant or animal) and hijacks the cell to make copies of itself (millions of copies) and then release them back. Think of it this way, one virion makes a million virions and they each make millions more. In a short while, you will be awash in millions of times millions of virions.

Virus have one or many ways to enter the cell. Think of a virus with a key to your home. One key from the front door and another from the side door. Even if you block the front door, the virus happily walks in from the side door.

Above is a discovery where the Coronavirus enters the human cell the side doorway. Interestingly Plasmodium falciparum (the malarial parasite) uses the same side door. Or rather the same keys to the side door. Quinine is known to block that keyhole resulting in the malarial parasite not gaining entry. Since the same keyhole is used by the Coronavirus, Quinine will help (assuming you are okay with its downsides).

Think it this way, if 50% of the coronavirus try to gain entry by the side door which is blocked by the quinine, then that is 50% less load on your body and several millions less virions for your body to fight off. Like a Ghatotkacha taking out several akshaunis of the Kauravas, thus weakening them considerably (and making Karna use up his Shakti).
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

nam wrote:The difference is simple. Vietnam locked it's border. Europe didn't.
We did, but the arrogant idiots like Kanika Kapoor broke the doors and created this massive problem for India now. All those who 'escaped' quarantine and got caught must be charged with accessory to murder (accidental death) and put them in a RI for 7 years. And they should be made to pay money to the victims and the government.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Disha, More than that singer it was the Kerala pilgrims from Rome who spread the disease in Kerala and the pilgrims to Iran.
I know outrage against celebrities is satisfying real damage is by the mules.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^Totally agree.

We need a danda for the Roman and Jihadi trojans. It does help if some Bollywood idiots and other assorted arrogant idiots are brought into the curve. They should demand why the Roman and Jihadi trojans are getting through. That tube light has to click in them.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Hydroxychloroquine (us organic chem students cringe at the use of hydrochloroquine) is obviously not a panacea. The report that some seem to improve means not that it is an effective treatment but that these observations warrant clinical trials. The Chinese may have been using it since January-it did not prevent those thousands of deaths (which are almost certainly a gross under count).
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

chola wrote: No one in business actually thinks they subsidized low end products like toys. You subsidize select, critical industries until they mature. Cheen would have gone bankrupt ages ago and would have no infrastructure today if they had subsidized everything. It is economically impossible to lose money on every piece of export with subsidies and still have enough to build out cities and high speed rails. Thru made money selling that stuff
I used the term 'toys' loosely in interests of keeping things brief since this is partly OT to this thread. By 'toys' I was euphemistically referring to all the cheap stuff we see in WalMArt/Best Buy/Target type stores, which are made in China....bascially any item made of plastic/metal, about $1 to $30 approximately (Arbitrary definition obviously) . By subsidies, I was including free land, no environmental protections (Which cost money), low worker rights (lowers cost of product)....and free money from banks, rampant bad loans. Their fiat economy hides many of these loans/money disbursals. I lumped them all into 'subsidies'. I agree at some point capitalist forces have allowed companies to go bankrupt, but the items I listed above have significantly reduced cost of doing business and therefore, cost of product from China.
It is not an aberration if you believe in the market. But there is something call national security that dictates that not everything should be made overseas. The "global" supply chain before China's entry into the WTO in the 1980s were kept in the hands of US allies in the Far East. Japan, Korea and Taiwan (along with city states Hong Kong and Singapore) were given a chance to develop into advanced economies by the West allowing them entry into the supply chain..........
But that has all changed. I think the last country to develop from globalization is the PRC. Countries, led by the US, are literally walling themselves off. Developing countries will no longer be able to use exports as a means to advance.
I agree with the part about National security, but obviously this is not a recent concern. From late 90s to date, a lot product was sourced to China, everything but defense-related production. So national security was ostensibly 'covered' during all the outsourcing. Consumer electronics, household products, small machines etc. will not fall under the umbrella of national security anyway. If the national security lesson from COVID epidemic is to diversify supply chain, maybe the chain goes to multiple countries including China. There are lately serious political/cultural movements calling for a 'walling off', walls supported by these movements could withstand the buffeting from market forces, IMHO.
Last edited by SriKumar on 24 Mar 2020 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Roman and Jihadi Trojan Asses.

Sanjay, That's your opinion right not evidence.
FDA has not approved the protocol But it is being used in the US under the compassionate care rubric.
And there is ample evidence it is working.

By time FDA approves all afflicted will be dead.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

SriKumar wrote:... I see the global economy 'adjusting' to it in a year or so (it always finds a way) and carrying on as before to increase shareholder value and maximize profits (I dont have any fundamental issue with either of these two items, by the way).
SriKumar garu, The gravy train will stop when there are no more resources to be had. How long one can keep doing "conspicuous consumption" which is growing at an exponential rate when prithvi maa has only so much flesh to sacrifice for her children?!
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 24 Mar 2020 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

disha wrote:
Gerard wrote:Jean Drèze
Sir, Jean Dreze is the perennial anti-Hindu and the brain behind Sonia's NAC. He wants to try out his stupid theories on India and in the process win couple of prizes incl. the NoBull prize.

The only reason he should be mentioned in the august pages of the BRF would be to ridicule him.
Jean Dreze is a mofo commie who advocated MGNREGA. He should be deported from India back to Belgium where he came from.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

oman and Jihadi Trojan Asses.

Sanjay, That's your opinion right not evidence.
FDA has not approved the protocol But it is being used in the US under the compassionate care rubric.
And there is ample evidence it is working.

By time FDA approves all afflicted will be dead.

There are several trials ongoing investigating quinine derivatives.

There is some basis, certainly to conduct trials.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

This study essentially had six patients with more serious presentations (again they do not even describe if they require supplemental oxygen).At least this is a French group and not Chinese (not to be racist, but this is no time for niceties).