Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jayram
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Jayram »

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/bengalu ... ssion=true
Interesting innovation from Indian scientists ionizing the air around patients preventing the virus from latching on to a new host.Trials scheduled due to strong interest in the USA and Mexico. Can imagine this in hospitals primarily to begin with and then everywhere.
Larry Walker
BRFite

Post by Larry Walker »

Bart S wrote:
shaun wrote:Lock down will always bring trouble and hardships to our daily life , but the most important thing for all citizen is basci needs , i.e. how to keep running the kitchen and that can be achieved by tweaking the existing e commerce platform in India. Govt can tie up with this e commerce sites to deliver the most basic food needed for a healthy survival. A list can be prepared and only items listed should be available in their portals . These e commerce sites should be suplimented by PDS having all the listed items . A part from delivery agents of e commerce sites , people from post office and govt and private agencies who are into mail and delivery services should be roped in. DBT scheme for daily wagers is a must.
Well, at the moment the exact opposite has happened. Due to ham headed state govt officials, despite the order clearly stating that ecomerce will be allowed (in some states like TN, both on the earlier state govt order and now the central govt one) Amazon and Big Basket operations have been stopped as have Zomato, Swiggy etc. And despite the statement that movement of goods are allowed and only movement of people are restricted, most logistics trucks are stopped and queued up at state borders.

Apart from making things difficult for common people, this is also handicapping critical industries that need to run to meet needs.

Govts at all levels need to get their act together and clean up this mess soon.
ESMA should be invoked to guarantee supply and logistics of essential goods and services and at the same time as a deterrent against hoarders and black-marketeers. Looking at psychotic and overzealous nature of our police forces - and many times they do so just to ensure bribes - the situation will precipitate into a crisis in next 1 week. Being caged inside homes and no guarantee of food and essentials will unleash the dark side of the public. Once the initial enthusiasm and spirit of society starts waning, maintaining public order will become a challenge.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

sanjaykumar wrote:?? There is much data on the sequences-of course mutations are evident, as would be expected for viruses especially RNA viruses. These mutations are related to replication fidelity rather than UV, chemical etc mutagenesis. Consider that it has been 3 or 4 months since the first cases. The virus must be dozens of generations old for some new infections.

Anyway I hope this on epitope prediction helps answer the other point.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6414002330

An overview of bioinformatics tools for epitope prediction: Implications on vaccine development
I am talking about mutations of clinical relevance sir. Ofcourse RNA viruses have less genomic fidelity, and hence many quasispecies in a single patient itself. But these are not relevant at all.
Right now, no clinical data available that a particular strain is less virulent.
Last edited by dr.uday on 25 Mar 2020 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

Rahul M wrote:
evm wrote:I am not emphasizing any negative attributes of Indians. Just of media. In every country. This hype of creating a cure of the virus has been going on in every country and is getting proved wrong. Indian doctors have not claimed they found a cure. The media did. Many of my physician friends are part of these trials in US and UK and i have first hand info. So wanted to share. These reports of cures are giving a sense of false hope to people. Donot expect any drug or vaccine in next few months. Social distancing is the only way.
From the nation's pov, what is the end game then?

If there is no cure or vaccine forthcoming in the next few months, social distancing will only delay the inevitable. It is not practical to extend national curfew beyond a few weeks at best. What happens after it is lifted ?
COVID goes on another merry round of infecting people ?

We don't even know if surviving the COVID infection once makes people immune to a second infection !
That is really the scary issue now. Correct me if i am wrong, but no virus has been eliminated without a vaccine in history. And the vaccine is atleast 6 months away. But the community transmission is in its early stages in India and may be if we can round up all the cases and can keep track of low level ongoing infections, there is a remote possibility(may be hope) thay we can do it. For this we need to continue the quarantine of all inbound travlellers for 14 days until the vaccine arrives.

I serously dont understand how china did it. It is impossible to stop community spread once it has infected so many people. Now he is claiming wuhan is open for business?? Either that china is lying on the no of infections or it has a vaccine. I think it is the vaccine.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Okay. So some more confusion for math challenged people like me. Looking at numbers of recovered cases and deaths, why do some countries like the US and UKistan show more dead than recovered? Others like Soko or Italy, it's more recoveries than deaths
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

I have not looked at US and UK numbers. But it mostly depends on testing strategy. Uk is not testing people at all, unless they are really sick and need an ICU admission. So most of these people are eventually going to die. The mild cases are not figuring in the total no of cases and hence less recoveries officially. Where as south korea, is testing everyone with symptoms and as many of these patients recover, the official recoveries are more there.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

dr.uday wrote:That is really the scary issue now. Correct me if i am wrong, but no virus has been eliminated without a vaccine in history. And the vaccine is atleast 6 months away. But the community transmission is in its early stages in India and may be if we can round up all the cases and can keep track of low level ongoing infections, there is a remote possibility(may be hope) thay we can do it. For this we need to continue the quarantine of all inbound travlellers for 14 days until the vaccine arrives.

I serously dont understand how china did it. It is impossible to stop community spread once it has infected so many people. Now he is claiming wuhan is open for business?? Either that china is lying on the no of infections or it has a vaccine. I think it is the vaccine.
I am not sure if there is a Nipah or Ebola vaccine. I haven't heard of one, nor are we going around giving such a vaccine to people.

You may not be able to eliminate it 100% - it may still exist in the wild, but as long as you can identify and take quick measures to limit its spread, it could be ok. For Wuhanvirus, it's harder given the dormancy and asymptomatic nature.

The virus could eventually mutate to a more benign version, we could get herd immunity and live with it like we live with the common cold virus.

China has effectively done away with the virus; except they have effectively stopped all travel into and out of the country (it is possible but involves quarantine - which no tourist or business visitor is likely to do).
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

dr.uday wrote:
Rahul M wrote: From the nation's pov, what is the end game then?

If there is no cure or vaccine forthcoming in the next few months, social distancing will only delay the inevitable. It is not practical to extend national curfew beyond a few weeks at best. What happens after it is lifted ?
COVID goes on another merry round of infecting people ?

We don't even know if surviving the COVID infection once makes people immune to a second infection !
That is really the scary issue now. Correct me if i am wrong, but no virus has been eliminated without a vaccine in history. And the vaccine is atleast 6 months away. But the community transmission is in its early stages in India and may be if we can round up all the cases and can keep track of low level ongoing infections, there is a remote possibility(may be hope) thay we can do it. For this we need to continue the quarantine of all inbound travlellers for 14 days until the vaccine arrives.

China s response to the infection has been all like a preparation , building hospitals in days, ventilators in mind boggling numbers, even in district hospitals, the way they did not even america can hope to emulate.... unless it was all planned. Now they are coasting free of the infection. With their giant foreign exchange reserves they can rebuild the world , or what is left of it.. a post "covid war" chinese Marshall plan to take over the worlds industries and companies... on the cheap.

On a side not the world might achieve herd immunity in a year .. at a cost
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Again, Cheen is experiencing a second wave infection event from returnees as we speak.

Same for Korea, Japan and the rest of the Far East who think they are coming out of the quarantines.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

kit wrote:
dr.uday wrote:

China s response to the infection has been all like a preparation , building hospitals in days, ventilators in mind boggling numbers, even in district hospitals, the way they did not even america can hope to emulate.... unless it was all planned. Now they are coasting free of the infection. With their giant foreign exchange reserves they can rebuild the world , or what is left of it.. a post "covid war" chinese Marshall plan to take over the worlds industries and companies... on the cheap.

On a side not the world might achieve herd immunity in a year .. at a cost
Exactly. China is lying. Nobody. Not xingping, not Mao zedong can control a virus after such spread. 5 million people left wuhan before lockdown, and continued business as usual for few days. It should have been a mass grave by now. I was expecting them to not ease restrictions for atleast few more months. But wuhan itself has eased restrictions. 90% of population is still vulnerable there. Herd immunity is not achieved. All these are making me believe, that it is a bio weapon.

And like u said, herd immunity will take a long time. And having herd immunity for a virulent virus is not an easy path. Let the statisticians get the number, but i think atleast more than 50% should be immune. ie 50% should get infected. 1% death among these people is still mind boggling. Herd immunity fo corona is not a strategy. It is just saying that we cannot do anything anymore about the virus and let it do what it has to do.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Bio-weapon controlled by a vaccine? If so, expect them to release the vaccine in the near future and pretend to save the world.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

chola wrote:^^^ Again, Cheen is experiencing a second wave infection event from returnees as we speak.
Any link? I am thinking antibodies will protect most of the people preventing second wave.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

madhu wrote:
chola wrote:^^^ Again, Cheen is experiencing a second wave infection event from returnees as we speak.
Any link? I am thinking antibodies will protect most of the people preventing second wave.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 20876.html
Coronavirus: Second wave of infections in Asia makes repeat surge of disease ‘inevitable’, scientists warn

‘People are behaving as if the Chinese have beaten it. They haven’t’

Shaun Lintern Health Correspondent

A surge in coronavirus cases in Hong Kong has revealed the limits tough social distancing can achieve in the fight against coronavirus, and could mean the UK having to leave tougher restrictions in place for longer, The Independent has been told.

In Hong Kong, Singapore and China, authorities have pursued a strict lockdown policy that has in recent days started to be relaxed as numbers of infections dropped, but the latest figures have shown a possibly worrying resurgence in infections.

In Hong Kong the number of confirmed coronavirus cases increased by 225 in just 10 days to a total of 357, on Monday.

In Wuhan, ground zero for the pandemic, the toughest lockdown has now been lifted and China was able to manage only five days before reporting its first domestic case of coronavirus again.

Similarly in Singapore and South Korea there have been dozens of new cases imported to the country in recent days with rising numbers of domestic infections.

Dr Simon Clarke, associate professor of cellular microbiology at the University of Reading, told The Independent the conclusions that second waves of infection would happen now seemed obvious and inevitable.

He said: “We have got a virus in the population and it is going to keep doing what it does. It is as simple as that. It is not going anywhere and even if it does it will only come back. People are behaving as if the Chinese have beaten it. They haven’t.

“Even if those countries are able to eradicate it, the virus will only be imported again.”
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEK ... id=US%3Aen
South Korea discusses coronavirus with China, Japan; plans to quarantine Europe entries

The foreign ministers of South Korea, China and Japan held a video conference on Friday to discuss cooperation on the coronavirus pandemic amid growing concern over the number of infected people arriving in their countries from overseas.
Last edited by chola on 25 Mar 2020 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

ICMR has a twice daily count of the number of tests done. They appear to have ramped up to 2000 tests/day as of yesterday.
The number turning positive is about 2.5%, which I believe is very positive.

Since the criteria for testing, are people with symptoms & those in close contact with positive cases (plus a small number of health workers)
the actual rate of infection is 1 in 80, for a population set directly in contact with an infected person.

To illustrate - the original positive case returning from abroad is counted, plus 1 of 80 people in close contact (so 2 out of 80, or 2.5%)
A infection rate of 1 in 80, after at least a week (because several days have elapsed between the first patient infecting one of of 80 people,
1st patient reporting sick and being tested positive, tracing his movements and the authorities rounding up 80 people for testing and identifying person 2) is IMO very encouraging.
If the infections have not spread to stage 3 (in limited clusters), further testing with more relaxed criteria, should reduce this percentage of positive cases, else it will increase.
Last edited by Deans on 25 Mar 2020 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

If second wave events can't be avoided then herd immunity through infection or vaccine is the only way. Because total isolation for an indeterminate of time is a death sentence too. Cheen's economy had been contracting 10% by locking down for two month. You do the math if that went on for six months to a year. That is why Cheen is re-opening and Trump said he can't allow the cure to be worse than the disease by purposing a review after 15 days.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Lot of returnees from Dubai are showing up positive. A case whom came to India on 18th, shows symptoms on 23. 5 days.

I now feel the infection is happening in the Dubai airport.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Larry Walker wrote: Looking at psychotic and overzealous nature of our police forces - and many times they do so just to ensure bribes - the situation will precipitate into a crisis in next 1 week.
Then we should identify less psychotic and overzealous and 100% honest people to enforce the Cr.PC Sec 144 curfew :roll:. The police officers have been clearly given on what shops can remain and what needs to be shut. And they are also not fools to just take all the burden on their heads. They have also clearly demarcated the responsibility with revenue and health officials. For all you know, many of the policemen are also not very happy to be out in the street and fight against a virus (some thing which they cannot control).

Sorry to be on a rant mode. We blame the police for every thing under the sun, and the blamers don't have any alternate solution. And at least for Corona virus spread, the people who brought it in, and the people who just went around the whole town citing freedom of movement etc are all the so called upper middle class, 'well educated' (!?) individuals. No body seems to be bothered about the 'social responsibility' of these folks.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

Many people may get angry with me for this, but i am saying anyway. In India the health services or so megre that there is no point in flattening the curve. The more we delay the spread of infection by lockdown, the more we destroy the economy. But if this lockdown really works and the infections dradtically come down, it is great.
I have some advice for everyone. This lockdown has definitely bought everyone sometime. Eat healthy for next few months. Stop sugars, refined foods. Stop biscuits, noodles and other ready made foods. Do pranayama daily for an hour atleast and buildup respiratorty reserve. Do some exercise at home. Get youself some sunlight in the mornings if possible on your terrace. Most of us can get away with just a flu like disease. And of course follow all the handwashing, social distancing etc.
People with chronic diseases, should be extra careful. May be u need to extend ur lockdown beyond 21 days until the situation outside gets safe.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

That doesnt make any sense. If health services are meager, then it makes even more sense to flatten the curve to avoid overwhelming them.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

How long are we going to faltten it? Lockdown should be extended until a vaccine is available. Can we afford it? People will suffer the bad economy for many years to come.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

Let me tell you one thing, by megre i meant non existent. My hospital is not providong N95. Its the same case with many hospitals in andhra. I bought some 20 on amazon and they are not available now. Should see if they restock in coming months. How can we treat in ICUs with now adequate gear. Flattening the curve is to strike a balance between hospital services and patients. I am facing the ground reality, and let me tell u sir, we can never strike a balance here.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

A curve flattening can be done not merely till a vaccine is available but more capacity is brought online or better treatment protocols. A bad economy is the least of our issues if a pandemic takes off. The extra time these 21 days get is exactly for things like PPE to be improved given the specs got released on march 2nd, build is underway. Otherwise our hospitals will be swamped as we speak.
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

That is true sir. If capacity augmentation can be done, it can be really good. I am just skeptical if that can be done. Our hospitals are in pathetic state and a lot needs ro be done. No hospital has isolation wards, no negative pressure rooms, not enough maks, not to mention trained work force. government is mulling converting junior doctors hostels into isolation here. Everything should be built from scratch. I am all for flattening the curve. But is it possible to augment the hospital infrastructure in such short time?
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

I am not contradicting u here. Just unable to believe that hospital infrastructure could be improved so fast in our setup. Lets hope everything works out.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

nam wrote:Lot of returnees from Dubai are showing up positive. A case whom came to India on 18th, shows symptoms on 23. 5 days.

We screened 15.2 lac passengers from abroad (not sure if all initially had a fever test). Though we feel its `a lot of returnees', positive cases. as a percentage of 1.5 million, is not many. I don't believe any other country screened that many pax, in the initial stages of infections, when cases were in double digits and there were no fatalities. Thought I'd mention this as some people (usually NRIs wanting their 2 mins of twitter fame) are full of doom and gloom stories of lax checking at airports.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Larry Walker wrote:
ESMA should be invoked to guarantee supply and logistics of essential goods and services and at the same time as a deterrent against hoarders and black-marketeers. Looking at psychotic and overzealous nature of our police forces - and many times they do so just to ensure bribes - the situation will precipitate into a crisis in next 1 week. Being caged inside homes and no guarantee of food and essentials will unleash the dark side of the public. Once the initial enthusiasm and spirit of society starts waning, maintaining public order will become a challenge.
ESMA would be useful if the suppliers/producers of those goods went on strike, which is clearly not the case here. To the contrary, they have been begging and pleading for their operations to not be shut down or disrupted.

Everybody knows that some police and bureaucrats are corrupt and would be only too happy to harass genuine people for bribes or because of sheer apathy or laziness. The fault here lies with the political masters who, knowing that fact fully well, have not been proactive to ensure ahead of time that things go smoothly at the ground level. This failure can nullify the basic premise of the lockdown as it will have the opposite effect.

Social media is saying that UP govt has decreed the medicines etc will be available only during specific time slots. If that is true, nothing could be more stupid, as it will just result in crowds or even a stampede, which defeats the purpose of the curfew.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Deans wrote:
nam wrote:Lot of returnees from Dubai are showing up positive. A case whom came to India on 18th, shows symptoms on 23. 5 days.

We screened 15.2 lac passengers from abroad (not sure if all initially had a fever test). Though we feel its `a lot of returnees', positive cases. as a percentage of 1.5 million, is not many. I don't believe any other country screened that many pax, in the initial stages of infections, when cases were in double digits and there were no fatalities. Thought I'd mention this as some people (usually NRIs wanting their 2 mins of twitter fame) are full of doom and gloom stories of lax checking at airports.
This screening was essential but isn't going to filter out too many infected cases as many are asymptomatic, and even those that are, have reportedly been popping paracetamol pills on the flight to slip through. A student (studying abroad) who followed the proper norms and was quarantined in Andhra reported that he had seen at least 7-8 people on his flight do that. These are so-called educated people flying back from Europe, you can imagine the level of compliance from people returning from Saudi etc.

Also, it appears that a lot of people gave false details (address etc) on their declaration forms at the airport, or had addresses on passport that were simply not current (this is understandable to some extent) so some 200 or so people in Punjab were totally untraceable by authorities after they had left the airport.
Last edited by Bart S on 25 Mar 2020 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

agreed. If shops are open for a limited time only then all will descend on them at that same time. Not sustainable in large cities. Will cause chaos.

There is a lesson in this from the demonetization exercise. Food and medicines have to have unhindered access or else....it will be worse than demonetization lines. Crowds may not allow the shops to close, and having crowds defeats the primary purpose. People will have both: the lockdown and spread of disease.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Allow the essential shops to be open 24 hours. So that people can go and buy anytime and there is no rush.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Its raining in pune.. hope it helps in clearing virus from environment
dr.uday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dr.uday »

nam wrote:Allow the essential shops to be open 24 hours. So that people can go and buy anytime and there is no rush.
+1
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.the-sun.com/news/578806/chi ... in-a-week/
SECOND WIND China’s top coronavirus doctor warns of SECOND wave as Hong Kong cases suddenly redouble in a week
Patrick Knox, Mar 23 2020

A LEADING Chinese coronavirus expert has warned of a second outbreak because of the increasing number of infected people coming in from abroad.
Professor Li Lanjuan, a member of Beijing's expert team on the virus, said she was “very worried that imported cases could trigger another large-scale epidemic in our country”. A LEADING Chinese coronavirus expert has warned of a second outbreak because of the increasing number of infected people coming in from abroad.
Professor Li Lanjuan, a member of Beijing's expert team on the virus, said she was “very worried that imported cases could trigger another large-scale epidemic in our country”. Prof Li, who led her medical team to fight the virus in Wuhan for more than 50 days, also demanded officials identify everyone who has been infected with testing or the epidemic could be reignited.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... table.html
Beijing's state newspaper warns a second coronavirus outbreak in China is 'INEVITABLE' due to loopholes in the health screening for people arriving from abroad
A second coronavirus outbreak in China is 'highly likely' and 'even inevitable' as the pandemic escalates, China's state newspaper has warned.
Loopholes in the health screening process and inadequate quarantine measures for people arriving from abroad are the main factors for the looming new crisis, according to state-run Global Times.
The stark warning comes as former epicentre Hubei Province, apart from its capital Wuhan, is set to lift travel restrictions tonight after being locked down for two months.
Gautam
Last edited by g.sarkar on 25 Mar 2020 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Useful resource through WhatsApp set up by government. Just WhatsApp them with a hi and you get official stats. Works well with latest updates and clarifications on policy

+91 90131 51515
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Deans wrote:

Screening is effective only for individuals that show symptoms such as very high temperature/ fatigue/ cough etc. But in the air conditioned environment of an airport surface temperature measurement can be misleading, more so if a suspected individual takes an antipyretic like paracetamol. I think the government should have hand-stamped passengers arriving from airports/countries that had widespread cases of this disease-like they are doing now-from the very beginning. Hope the practice is continued for some more time, in anticipation of the second wave.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

prashanth wrote:
Deans wrote:
Screening is effective only for individuals that show symptoms such as very high temperature/ fatigue/ cough etc. But in the air conditioned environment of an airport surface temperature measurement can be misleading, more so if a suspected individual takes an antipyretic like paracetamol. I think the government should have hand-stamped passengers arriving from airports/countries that had widespread cases of this disease-like they are doing now-from the very beginning. Hope the practice is continued for some more time, in anticipation of the second wave.

Everybody coming in after the lock down should be compulsorily quarantined in a separate facility, not left to their own devices. And incoming flights must be slowed to a trickle so that we can manage the load.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Useful resource through WhatsApp set up by government. Just WhatsApp them with a hi and you get official stats. Works well with latest updates and clarifications on policy

+91 90131 51515
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

prashanth wrote:
Deans wrote:

With the benefit of hindsight, I think we made a lot of mistakes in airport screening. For e.g. we should have hand stamped from day 1. People could have been asked to sign that they received a govt advisory on home quarantine, with a mention of penalty of imprisonment etc if they don't follow it.
More facilities could have been provided for screening with temporary holding areas.
That said, we have done a lot in a short time and with limited resources. I don't think there is need for self flagellation,when we hear media reports of
students taking a pill to reduce temperature (not sure what is stopping journo's / authorities to follow up and visit those students). A lot was made of a tweet by someone coming to Ahmedabad claiming he had not been tested (proven to be untrue). People complain of poor sleeping facilities in a airport holding area in Bangalore, but will uncomplainingly stand for 6-10 hours in a queue in a US airport to get cleared.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Coronavirus Outbreak: Amid 21-day locksdown, India bans Hydroxychloroquine export, drug to be used to treat medical staff handling COVID-19 cases

New Delhi: Amid the coronavirus outbreak, the government on Wednesday banned export of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, with immediate effect to ensure sufficient availability of the medicine in the domestic market.
Coronavirus Outbreak: Amid 21-day locksdown, India bans Hydroxychloroquine export, drug to be used to treat medical staff handling COVID-19 cases

Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Director General Balram Bhargava had on Monday recommended the use of hydroxychloroquine for treating healthcare workers handling suspected or confirmed coronavirus cases and also the asymptomatic household contacts of the lab-confirmed cases.

The treatment protocol recommended by the ICMR-constituted National Task Force for COVID-19 has been approved by the Drug Controller General of India (DGCI) for restricted use in emergency situations.

In a notification issued on Wednesday, the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), an arm of the commerce ministry which deals with export and import-related matters, said, "The export of hydroxycloroquine and formulations made from hydroxycloroquine is prohibited with immediate effect".

It, however, said the government will allow export of the medicine on humanitarian grounds on case-to-case basis on the Ministry of External Affairs' recommendation.

Export will also be permitted from the special economic zones/export oriented units and in cases where the outbound shipment is made to fulfil export obligation under any advance authorisation license issued on or before the date of this notification, which is 25 March, 2020.

It added, "Export will be allowed in case of shipments where irrevocable letter of credit has been issued before the date of this notification or in case where full advance payment has been received by the exporter in India against specific shipment, subject to submission of documentary evidence."
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

So looking at all the gloom and doom stories here and from th analysts saying that India will face USA like numbers or more, shall we all say our prayers and be ready to leave?