Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
manju
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by manju »

nvishal wrote:Situation in Pakistan went out of control a few days ago. Imran khans govt realised it and came to the conclusion that implementing a lockdown wasnt going to change it. He has given up trying to contain the epidemic and instead focusing on saving the economy. Off course, there cannot be an "economy" without "safety" and vice versa, something basic which imran khans govt cannot comprehend.

The Pakistani military has gone in shock and are trying to impose a lockdown without an endgame.
good time to erase the term PoK?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Question to Doctors on this thread... what do you think of this...
Manish_P wrote:Abbott Launches Molecular Point-of-Care Test to Detect Novel Coronavirus in as Little as Five Minutes
Abbott will be making ID NOW COVID-19 tests available next week and expects to ramp up manufacturing to deliver 50,000 tests per day

Abbott (NYSE: ABT) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the fastest available molecular point-of-care test for the detection of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), delivering positive results in as little as five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.

The ID NOW platform is small, lightweight (6.6 pounds) and portable (the size of a small toaster), and uses molecular technology, which is valued by clinicians and the scientific community for its high degree of accuracy. ID NOW is already the most widely available molecular point-of-care testing platform in the U.S. today.

First introduced in 2014, ID NOW is the leading molecular point-of-care platform for Influenza A & B, Strep A and RSV testing in the U.S. ID NOW is a rapid, instrument-based, isothermal system for the qualitative detection of infectious diseases. Its unique isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology provides molecular results in just minutes, allowing clinicians to make evidence-based clinical decisions during a patient visit.
jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

Bart S wrote:
jpremnath wrote:
In kerala, they have opened community kitchens which delivers free and subsidised food which is being delivered to houses by local government bodies. Even the migrant workers are covered by this. The only negative was they couldn't control when a significant number of migrant labourers crowded the trains in the days prior to shutdown. But the situation is no way similar to Delhi
https://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/karnat ... rt-2202175
https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/m ... agu-121296
https://amaravathipost.com/karnataka/mi ... in-kodagu/
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 853852.cms

Can happen in any state, but when said state claims to be commie utopia, deserves to be called out. Delhi is of course worse affected, due to it being a major economic hub with a massive amount of migrant labour.
Nobody on BRF claims kerala to be an utopia. All I pointed out was that the circus that is happening in Delhi is not happening in Kerala. There are close to 6million migrant laborers spread across Kl but still there is no scene of tens of thousands walking across . The above mentioned situations are mostly on Kasaragod.
In social media there is widespread propaganda by the commie fanboys hyping each and every positive measure. Their sympathisers from the lib media who even though has no clue about the state uses those posts to push their own agenda..But that is equally matched by the other side who doesn't mind trashing the entire state and it's people. At least of BRF, let's be more objective.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Bart S wrote:https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/afte ... tervention

Amazing pictures in that article, it's almost like KA expects a zombie apocalypse from KL spilling over. Good move I think, given that the 'peaceful' neighboring districts are out of control and not listening to anyone. Yesterday 4 policemen were attacked and injured in Kasargod.
For all those dreaming about Dravidanadu...

Mangalore region, blocked the road to Kerala, as soon as the first case was reported in the hospital. Kasargoad is right next door. People have been asking to block the road, ever since there have been positive cases in Kasargoad.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Doctor sirs any update on the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine+Azithromycin, over the past couple of days have seen reports in the US that it is helping
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

jpremnath wrote:
Bart S wrote:
https://www.ndtv.com/kerala-news/karnat ... rt-2202175
https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/m ... agu-121296
https://amaravathipost.com/karnataka/mi ... in-kodagu/
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 853852.cms

Can happen in any state, but when said state claims to be commie utopia, deserves to be called out. Delhi is of course worse affected, due to it being a major economic hub with a massive amount of migrant labour.
Nobody on BRF claims kerala to be an utopia. All I pointed out was that the circus that is happening in Delhi is not happening in Kerala. There are close to 6million migrant laborers spread across Kl but still there is no scene of tens of thousands walking across . The above mentioned situations are mostly on Kasaragod.
In social media there is widespread propaganda by the commie fanboys hyping each and every positive measure. Their sympathisers from the lib media who even though has no clue about the state uses those posts to push their own agenda..But that is equally matched by the other side who doesn't mind trashing the entire state and it's people. At least of BRF, let's be more objective.
Sir , if kerala happened to be in the vicinity of worker supplier states ..things would not have been far different from what happening in Delhi

"according to the survey in 2013, 75 per cent of the migrant workers come from five states, namely West Bengal, Bihar, Assam, Uttar Pradesh and Odisha. A large number consist of workers from Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Haryana, Uttarakhand and Manipur as well. "
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

There is a huge Bihar, UP and RJ migrant worker population in GJ as well. When they panicked and started walking towards the borders, GJ deployed more forces, provided food, shelter and assured that its best they stay where they are. Delhi govt aided by Barkha and co purposefully fanned the flames and unleashed a bio-weapon on India.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

^^Yes, same reason there is no rush to go home from labourers in Mah now. A lot of them took crowded trains out when they had a chance, and the rest, unlike with Delhi, cannot even consider walking home as UP/Bihar is over 1000 km away.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

suryag wrote:Doctor sirs any update on the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine+Azithromycin, over the past couple of days have seen reports in the US that it is helping

ICMR India has said that Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin combination reduces viral load

Further Second French study also said it cures 78/79 patients.

Chinese study is being misreported but it also said that Hydroxychloroquine (alone) has 87% success rate which is same as First French study that Hydroxychloroquine alone has lesser success rate.

Note:- I am not a Dr.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Labourers from TN and KA have tried to walk back to their villages in Kerala also. People staying back are from northern states because they cannot walk that much distance. More than shortage of food I think the migrant labourers are sensing loss of job opportunities in the cities. It is normal for them to try and get back to their villages to be with their families.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

If a drug or combination can be figured out to allow controlling the viral load, then it could allow people to be given this at the start of symptoms.

It will allows managing it similar to what we do with regular cold & flu. That would also allow the world to reduce the lockdown.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Dilbu wrote:Labourers from TN and KA have tried to walk back to their villages in Kerala also. People staying back are from northern states because they cannot walk that much distance. More than shortage of food I think the migrant labourers are sensing loss of job opportunities in the cities. It is normal for them to try and get back to their villages to be with their families.
Also the fact that life in the city is more expensive than life in their villages, and as another poster had pointed out they can help with the harvest at home.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

As expected 118 so far for today. It has spiked in the past two days.

It will probably take 2-3 days for the lockdown effect to trickle in.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

According to https://www.covid19india.org/

There are +123 cases as of 10PM IST. I think we should wait until next morning for the Health Ministry to confirm numbers as they come in various states and UTs.

Yesterday it was +151.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Cain Marko wrote:News coming out of China doesn't seem good. Some 5-10% of recovered payments are testing positive again. Very fishy as can be expected.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... n-positive

TBH though i was really surprised last summer when a nurse at my doctors office said that she was commonly seeing people not recovering from the flu or similar symptoms for 3-6 months.
What if what if the Virus doesn't get completely eliminated like HIV? scary thought? But can any virologist or doctor comment on this? Do we have to live with this?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The Financial Express is saying +179 cases as of evening of 28 March. This need verification, so I would be cautious about it.
https://www.financialexpress.com/lifest ... w/1912377/
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Dilbu wrote:Labourers from TN and KA have tried to walk back to their villages in Kerala also. People staying back are from northern states because they cannot walk that much distance. More than shortage of food I think the migrant labourers are sensing loss of job opportunities in the cities. It is normal for them to try and get back to their villages to be with their families.
Dilbuji, many daily laborers and migrant workers left home for their towns and villages on the day the lockdown announcement was made. What is happening in Delhi is different. The state government is purposely and deliberately creating a situation where migrant workers are being forced, coerced into a mass exodus. In many slums electricity and water has been cut off for the last 2 days,and rumors were spread that the government was planning on a prolonged lockdown. Today they started running DTS buses for the sole purpose of dropping people off to border towns. Look at the pattern, RJ government attempted to do the same thing today until GJ sealed off the border. Its a well designed game to implode India.
Srikanth P
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Srikanth P »

Gyan wrote:
suryag wrote:Doctor sirs any update on the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine+Azithromycin, over the past couple of days have seen reports in the US that it is helping

ICMR India has said that Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin combination reduces viral load

Chinese study is being misreported but it also said that Hydroxychloroquine (alone) has 87% success rate which is same as First French study that Hydroxychloroquine alone has lesser success rate.

I work in an emergency and have been issued HCQ by my hospital. In reality, the drug is useless. The studies that allegedly found it useful are shoddy, poorly conducted and cannot be used as evidence for its efficacy.

Only retarded guy like Dolan duck can say it is useful on TV....

In India, I believe the ICMR recommendation was a political decision rather than evidence based medicine - to offer some succour to the medical professionals and keep their morale up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhase ... -shanghai/

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927342

You need to create a free login for medscape.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I cannot say for sure, if the drug is useful. However there now seems to be some push among several nations to test it out, atleast on medical workers.

Here France seems to have given the go ahead for it's use.

https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/stat ... 8737440768
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Gyan wrote:
suryag wrote:

Can you please post the link too from next time. I am really intrested in reading these research papers.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Srikanth P wrote:
Gyan wrote:

I work in an emergency and have been issued HCQ by my hospital. In reality, the drug is useless. The studies that allegedly found it useful are shoddy, poorly conducted and cannot be used as evidence for its efficacy.

Only retarded guy like Dolan duck can say it is useful on TV....

In India, I believe the ICMR recommendation was a political decision rather than evidence based medicine - to offer some succour to the medical professionals and keep their morale up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhase ... -shanghai/

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927342

You need to create a free login for medscape.

With due respect i disagree.. we are using it for various viral fevers since years.. It is reasonably effective drug often given
empirically.. I dont know about studies you are talking but studies can never be only criteria in medicine.. When you have no known vaccine/ drug against this virus and all you want is to somehow control infection , you must use whatever options you have.. I don't think using HCQ is political decision.. It is world famous Indian Jugad which I belive will work well.. Anyways after taking it I am going to OPD with more confidence :wink:
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

I don't know anything about virology or vaccines or biology ..

But I was thinking about this yesterday if any other old vaccines work against COrona ..

Interestingly someone had the idea

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03 ... oronavirus
an a century-old TB vaccine steel the immune system against the new coronavirus?
By Jop de VriezeMar. 23, 2020 , 6:25 AM

Researchers in four countries will soon start a clinical trial of an unorthodox approach to the new coronavirus. They will test whether a century-old vaccine against tuberculosis (TB), a bacterial disease, can rev up the human immune system in a broad way, allowing it to better fight the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 and, perhaps, prevent infection with it altogether. The studies will be done in physicians and nurses, who are at higher risk of becoming infected with the respiratory disease than the general population, and in the elderly, who are at higher risk of serious illness if they become infected.

A team in the Netherlands will kick off the first of the trials this week. They will recruit 1000 health care workers in eight Dutch hospitals who will either receive the vaccine, called bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG), or a placebo.

BCG contains a live, weakened strain of Mycobacterium bovis, a cousin of M. tuberculosis, the microbe that causes TB. (The vaccine is named after French microbiologists Albert Calmette and Camille Guérin, who developed it in the early 20th century.) The vaccine is given to children in their first year of life in most countries of the world, and is safe and cheap—but far from perfect: It prevents about 60% of TB cases in children on average, with large differences between countries.

Vaccines generally raise immune responses specific to a targeted pathogen, such as antibodies that bind and neutralize one type of virus but not others. But BCG may also increase the ability of the immune system to fight off pathogens other than the TB bacterium, according to clinical and observational studies published over several decades by Danish researchers Peter Aaby and Christine Stabell Benn, who live and work in Guinea-Bissau. They concluded the vaccine prevents about 30% of infections with any known pathogen, including viruses, in the first year after it’s given. The studies published in this field have been criticized for their methodology, however; a 2014 review ordered by the World Health Organization concluded that BCG appeared to lower overall mortality in children, but rated confidence in the findings as “very low.” A 2016 review was a bit more positive about BCG’s potential benefits but said randomized trials were needed.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Lots of villages in AP have put unofficial roadblocks with tree trunks and thorny bushes to prevent outsiders from entering. Village vigilante youth are manning these 24x7. While this might seem like a good measure to prevent spread, we don't know how far taking law into own hands like this will go and future consequences.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

I have been on the phone to the couple who live in my house (in the pind)
and they are all pretty much with the program and everyone is sitting at home.
Abiding by all the rules, taking it seriously.

Nearby village in which a cohort of super spreader Baldev Singh has died...
Completely SEALED no one is allowed into the village and no one is allowed out.

They are sceptical as to whether the very poor are actually getting the food
allotted to them???? I suppose somethings are difficult to change...
Well, its not reached their part of the world.

general attitude... whatever Modi says we will do it
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Cain Marko wrote:News coming out of China doesn't seem good. Some 5-10% of recovered payments are testing positive again. Very fishy as can be expected.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... n-positive

TBH though i was really surprised last summer when a nurse at my doctors office said that she was commonly seeing people not recovering from the flu or similar symptoms for 3-6 months.
This could mean either the test standards ate bad or they have got reinfected. However i think based on this research paper the reinfection chances is less that too within this short time. The paper titled, Reinfection could not occur in SARS-CoV-2 infected rhesus macaques states,
“From our current longitudinal study of monkeys, the reinfection could not occur if the monkeys produced the neutralizing antibody at an early stage after the primary infection. Correspondingly, the convalescing patients won’t be contagious when they build up enough specific antibody to develop immunity to SARS-CoV-2.”
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

One more interesting fact about Chloroquine is that it has demonstrated anti HIV properties.. As other anti retro viral drugs are being used for COVID infection combining them with HCQ may have additive anti viral effect..
This is one interesting article about anti viral effects of chloroquine
https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(03)00806-5
Last edited by DrRatnadip on 29 Mar 2020 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

"They don't detect positive cases as expected."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11266586/ ... sts-china/
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Vasant Narsasimhan, CEO, Novartis gives a good overview of the current status of different therapeutics and vaccines for the Wuhan virus. He also speaks of the status of trials with regard to anti malaria drugs such as Hydroxychloroquine.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 5/fulltext

<mod note>Doc - please use URL tag</mod note>
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Karan M wrote:What is the forum's opinion on the mass movement of migrant laborers?
I am hoping it is a storm in a teacup because community transmission hasn't (hopefully) taken off
I think it is a huge risk factor and can push India into Italy-zone.

Modi directly appealed to these folks, asking them to stay where they are, and not infect near & dear in hometown. Clearly it went unheeded, and the situation is not helped with Harsh Mander, Tavleen Singh types screaming, “ayyayyo, they are poors onlee, see how they are walking because of bleddy Mudi”. Maybe it was a failure of prior planning at state level, or outright sabotage like Kejriwal putting them on buses to UP border.

I would like to see GoI issue a a clear “shelter-in-place” order and enforce it rigorously. No one can go “home” at this point, till further notice, even the “brothers and sisters stuck in foreign lands” won’t be transported “home” to India, no matter what the Supreme Court says. Everyone has to make the best of it, with generous help from governments and voluntary organizations like RSS.

The focus should be 100% on containing stage 3, community transmission, and treating patients.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Vijayk, the study you quote has been seriously questioned if not debunked a couple of days ago, IIRC there was a TOI article on this. As per French Govt advisory they identified just 2 strains, L & S. S being more virulent.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Love the headgear from this pic in a BBC report...

nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

How the damn thing works. It is so simple in the process, yet so difficult to defeat it.

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Deans wrote:
nam wrote:Another point, are our migrant workers that poor that they don't have any savings to survive for couple of weeks? I find it difficult to believe.
90% of Indian households have less than Rs 10,000 in cash or liquid assets (excluding gold ornaments). An individual worker will have less. That's the reality of India.
Any idea as to the capabilities of India to mobilize and provide basic support for this population under shelter-in-place conditions?

- organizational capabilities—I imagine these exist dud to steel frame, however rusty if is, plus voluntary organizations and civil society

—material supplies—I am guessing there is virtually indefinite capacity to keep producing food, drinking water, etc.

Modi referred to both the above and gave assurance that there is no problem on those fronts. Is he being overly optimistic?

—what else?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Again for people who doubt our ability to manage pandemic.. or think we are not doing enough. Here is something..

Andhra government tracks down 12,000 foreign returnees and checks for symptoms, liaising with GoI.

Other than Germany, I haven't heard of such level of contact tracing, in any of the hard hit European or NA countries.

This is how you try to contain...