Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by suryag »

Niran Sir - yeah that was dumb of me, why do you intelligence guys when things are so obvious in the plain view.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bart S wrote:
amar_p wrote:Saw my family doctor here in France yesterday, he is practicing since 40+ years, an excellent, dedicated doctor who can reasonably claim he has seen it all (but won't!). He has read in detail the study published in a hurry by Pr Didier Raoult on Hydroxychloroquinone + Azithromycin and was very critical of it. The sample size is too small and results inconclusive. Being a renowned and respected researcher doesn't mean Raoult's instincts do not need proper testing protocols and validation. He deplored the highly mediated public debate between Raoult and French authorities; emotions of non-trained self proclaimed TV debate "experts" have no place in such a serious matter to be evaluated between doctors & scientists. He is very cautious about HCQ + Azm's efficiency to treat Covid19 since improper dosage can lead to cardiac arrhythmia, loss of vision and other distress. He is seeing some nutcases self medicating with this and then wailing for help as it goes wrong. We need a lot of data and a lot of further analysis & reviews before concluding one way or the other on HCQ+Azm.

Meanwhile, the French Govt has cautiously allowed HCQ+Azm administration on "compassionate grounds" (meaning when nothing else is working, so kind of as a last resort) with collegial review and agreement among the doctors treating the COVID19 patient, and the patient's consent.

Therefore, self medication or without a case by case validation by a hospital panel of doctors, use of HCQ+Azm must be seen as highly dangerous and must not be attempted.
Did you see news from yesterday (I think) stating that Dr. Raoult has updated his study (which initially had a very small sample size) to cover new data for about a 100 patients (still not double-blind, randomized peer reviewed yada yada, but a much bigger sample size) and the results/conclusions are broadly the same, i.e the drug combo has potential in patients under medical advice.

ICMR seems to broadly agree with that direction.

Also, let us not conflate some irresponsible people self-medicating with disastrous results, with the use of the drug combo in a hospital environment with the proper monitoring and medical care for actual patients.

double-blind, randomized peer reviewed is the ideal condition in normal times.

In this scenario of rapidly changing and fast evolving situations, no one is really waiting for papers that are "double-blind, randomized peer reviewed", no one has the time or space to do this. Anyone who is someone in this field and those whose words are respected are themselves in the thick of the fight to contain this china virus.

No one is even trusting the WHO anymore, not after that moron director general vaporized the organisation's credibility for twenty pieces of silver

Each country will have to put out some national guidelines and one assumes that countries are already in touch with one another to find a way out.
Last edited by chetak on 31 Mar 2020 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
hitha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by hitha »

I have been lurking on BRF for more than 10 years now. I just wanted to mention about the Anti Influenza drug Avigan which has been spoken about by the Chinese as being effective against COVID-19. Mods feel free to delete the post if I have unintentionally goofed up here,

https://picaspec.com/2020/03/31/fujifil ... -covid-19/
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... arantined/
Germany will issue coronavirus antibody certificates to allow quarantined to re-enter society
Researchers to test thousands for immunity as Berlin plans exit strategy for pandemic lock down

Is anyone in India thinking on these lines?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

There will one unintended consequence of this getting back to the society with certificate.

People who haven't so far got the virus, would decide to take the risk to get infected.

It is human nature to not allow "others" with an advantage in the society.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

arshyam wrote:
Zynda wrote: Sorry, I dunno how that particular post went active. Before posting, I just noticed that article is dated around mid-Feb of this year and the info contained is probably outdated. I thought, I had cancelled posting it but I guess it got through somehow.
Zynda saar, in that case, could you please delete the original post, or at least edit the post to give the correct date? I got a bit anxious reading that article. Same request to you too, Arun saar: if you could delete the quoted part of your reply as well, we can save some overhead for the mods. TIA.
Not able to find my post...scanned the last 4-5 pages. Not sure how Arun was able to get hold of it...my guess, it somehow slipped through while I was editing it.

And thanks for people who chipped on answering hand wash vs soap question.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2004500
Seattle experience so far^^

ICU ventilator support datas coming out are not encouraging. Those who land on ventilator don't have great chance of making it.
high number of ICU death reported.
So far in units around same doomsday reporting , very few getting discharged out of hospital.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

manju wrote:
nam wrote:It is not just Kerala, but every state, which did not bother to invest enough in the health care system will have this problem. Kerala's dependency on Mlore is a prime example, of delegating the medicare job to another state.

As we have seen worldwide, states will now guard medical access for their people, with their life. The same effect will be seen b/w states in India.
It worked fine until Corona.. Mangaluru benefitted from all business until now.. when things are tought does not make sense to close doors..
Benefit? Scores of labourers from Kerala used to work in Mangalore. Large number of people make use of ports in that city. Hundreds of students from Kerala study in colleges and institutes, medical, nursing and others, in and around Mangalore. Should this also be called benefit? You make it sound as if Karnataka made undue profits all this while. Karnataka is simply following Centre's directive in closing the borders to prevent spreading of epidemic from the neighbouring Kasargod district. Nothing immoral in what Karnataka has done.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

An Ru Oscar-2 class SSGN, the Orel is in quarantine after a civilian contractor passed it on.Two other vessels ,another sub and a support ship also quarantined at base. A few US naval vessels including one or two CVs have experienced cases.The danger of the virus to both naval and merchant shipping worldwide is a v.serious problem.For nuclear power navies with the crews of their SSBNs in particular.

Latest news.A Dutch sub.the Dolfijn has broken off its patrol because 15 of the 50+ crew have CV symptoms.
Last edited by Philip on 31 Mar 2020 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
ranneel
BRFite

Post by ranneel »

64 cases in Maha and 58 cases in T.N
59 in Mumbai,22 cases in tirunelveli and 18 cases in namakkal.
Last edited by ranneel on 31 Mar 2020 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ranneel wrote:22 cases in tirunelveli and 18 cases in namakkal.
The spread triggered by the Tableeghi Jamaat preachers? Namakkal is a district bordering Erode.
ranneel
BRFite

Post by ranneel »

Sachin wrote:
The spread triggered by the Tableeghi Jamaat preachers? Namakkal is a district bordering Erode.
Thiruvenveli and Namakkal do have sizable Muslim population.Waiting more details.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Govt of India guidelines on 30 march recommended use of HCQ and Azithromycin as off label indication with appropriate ecg monitoring..Its not recommended in children bellow 12 ys and lactating/pregnant females..
ranneel
BRFite

Post by ranneel »

ranneel wrote:
Sachin wrote: The spread triggered by the Tableeghi Jamaat preachers? Namakkal is a district bordering Erode.
Thiruvenveli and Namakkal do have sizable Muslim population.Waiting more details.
The entire set along with some more on Kanyakumari had attended Nizamuddin. Along with this 18 more in Telagana. Looks like everyone's getting rounded up.
Last edited by ranneel on 31 Mar 2020 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

kvraghav wrote:
ranneel wrote: I think Karnataka can kiss goodbye water from Kabini come monsoon
And Kerala can kiss goodbye to all the super markets in Bangalore? If the water issue was possible, then kerala would have used it to open the night time border in bandipur.
Sorry to fan the regionalism sentiment... But KL can kiss goodbye to konkan railway access too.

Mods, please free to delete this post, if the OP decides in good faith to remove his earlier utterance.
Sorry, once again.

Mod Response

Unlike the original poster, you have been formally warned. The reason is that your act is reckless and willful. Forum guidelines are clear - report a post and/or tell someone to fix their post. Grandstanding like you did, doesn't get you any benefit of doubt.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Sachin wrote:
We are working tirelessly to fight this virus.. Wife is posted in designated COVID hospital and every day when I go to drop her I pray to God that she should somehow manage to dodge the infection.. And these fools spreading infection like this could make efforts of thousands of healthworkers and govt officials go waste.. Anyone defying govt orders of lock down should be behind bars :evil:
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

ranneel wrote:
Sachin wrote: The spread triggered by the Tableeghi Jamaat preachers? Namakkal is a district bordering Erode.
TN situation was under control and was way below delhi, karnataka and UP in the morning. Sad to see the numbers in the above districts.
ranneel
BRFite

Post by ranneel »

Deleted
Last edited by Suraj on 31 Mar 2020 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleanup
ranneel
BRFite

Post by ranneel »

arvin wrote:
ranneel wrote: Thiruvenveli and Namakkal do have sizable Muslim population.Waiting more details.
TN situation was under control and was way below delhi, karnataka and UP in the morning. Sad to see the numbers in the above districts.
Yes all.are Tableegi plus 18 in Telangana. I hope.they are just rounding up these guys if not it looks bad.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Bart S wrote:
Sachin wrote: Don't think so it would be too easy as there are no big dams or anicuts which can stop the water's flow to Karnataka side. Secondly, a consumer state like Kerala will never be able to dictate terms to other producer states. Think about it, a two day stoppage of vegetables at the state's borders created big heartburn. It is always better for Kerala to actually think about having in house solutions for lots of her problems rather acting as old feudal lords of the olden days.
I don't think that anybody from neighboring states has a problem with Kerala per se, just that they are worried about the out of control 'peaceful' people from Kasargod.
OT, thought to add my 2cents...
Just to qualify, Kasargod esp bordering villages have sizeable Tulu population with relatives in Otherside in Mangaluru.

My moms ancestral village is dot on KA side of border Talapdy and have relatives and places of worship in Kasargod.

P.s. In last 10-15 years there has been tremendous rise in peaceful population in the process making things quite heady and explosive.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

TN cases seem mostly to have been caused by those who attended the Delhi Tabligh meet which deliberately flouted govt. orders.

Yes,the Erode,Namakkal hotspot is very distressing as even the railway doctor infected in Coimbatore was just transfered from Erode.She and her family were alll infected , but media reports say they are recovering.
When the govt. lifts the ban on intl. flights,strict instructions should be not to let religious clerics of this sort ever enter India. They are a law unto themselves culpable of attempted murder,criminal manslaughter by defying the law. These individuals responsible should be arrested if they have broken the law.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

As of today, total cases in India is 1,586 with 239 cases alone added today. I think we are already or beginning state of Community Transition...
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Philip wrote:An Ru Oscar-2 class SSGN, the Orel is in quarantine after a civilian contractor passed it on.Two other vessels ,another sub and a support ship also quarantined at base. A few US naval vessels including one or two CVs have experienced cases.The danger of the virus to both naval and merchant shipping worldwide is a v.serious problem.For nuclear power navies with the crews of their SSBNs in particular.

Latest news.A Dutch sub.the Dolfijn has broken off its patrol because 15 of the 50+ crew have CV symptoms.
A sharp peak in the affected cases among the healthy population may actually be a blessing in disguise (if these victims are tested and identified) because as they recover quickly they will act as a firewall preventing the spread of the virus among the rest of the population, especially the elderly. This assumes that healthy population recovers quickly, and those who have recovered can no longer be asymptomatic carriers since their antibodies will kill all traces of the virus the very moment it tries to reinfect.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

There have been a sudden increase in the past 3 days. Given the increase, these are not outlier cases. So if I take a average of 7-10 days to symptoms, bad enough for people to report to the doctor, we are looking at 18-23 March cases. 22 March was a lockdown.

We were doing well till 3 days back. So what happened during 18-23 March, which caused this spike?

Given the short date range, there has to be a single type of source.

The two most obvious ones are this Delhi get together and people coming back to the country b/w 20-22, before the door closed.

If there are two known source, then hopefully, with aggressive contact tracing, we can contain the spread to some extent.

It would have been ideal if the lockdown has started a week earlier, nothing we can do now.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

DrRatnadip wrote:Govt of India guidelines on 30 march recommended use of HCQ and Azithromycin as off label indication with appropriate ecg monitoring..Its not recommended in children bellow 12 ys and lactating/pregnant females..
Can I request you to maintain a track and have your friends on whatsapp, calls etc to also do likewise. If you have sufficient data re:efficacy, it may become what saves us all. Also, are we trying Zinc as the other reports noted? Perhaps worth sharing.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Sachin wrote:
Yes. TN Health Minster stated that.
Dr C Vijayabaskar
@Vijayabaskarofl
·
27m
#UPDATE: 50 new #COVID19 positive cases in TN. 45 of them have travel history to Delhi. All admitted in Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli, Chennai and Namakkal hospitals and are stable. Will update details soon @MoHFW_INDIA
#Vijayabaskar #Corona #CoronavirusOutbreak
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Zynda wrote:As of today, total cases in India is 1,586 with 239 cases alone added today. I think we are already or beginning state of Community Transition...
A huge number is coming from the Tableeghi Jamatis. Yes that is community transmission, but we know the source.

The big news is that govt has identified hotspots and is monitoring these areas. I hope this process transitions into a limited lockdown at the end of this 21 day period, where areas of the country which have not reported any cases (or very low case count) are opened up for business again - with health & sanitary precautions, social distancing as well as testing/monitoring in place to check for new cases. Hotspots can continue to remain locked down till they are divided up further and further into small clusters of affected houses.

Also long distance travel including international travel should be highly regulated for some more weeks, and then opened up gradually to connect contiguous clear areas. Just my 2c.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Zynda wrote:
arshyam wrote: Zynda saar, in that case, could you please delete the original post, or at least edit the post to give the correct date? I got a bit anxious reading that article. Same request to you too, Arun saar: if you could delete the quoted part of your reply as well, we can save some overhead for the mods. TIA.
Not able to find my post...scanned the last 4-5 pages. Not sure how Arun was able to get hold of it...my guess, it somehow slipped through while I was editing it.
Here you go..

Original post: viewtopic.php?p=2424381#p2424381
Arun's reply: viewtopic.php?p=2424411#p2424411
Your reply to Arun: viewtopic.php?p=2424423#p2424423
My reply to you: viewtopic.php?p=2424513#p2424513
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Zynda wrote:As of today, total cases in India is 1,586 with 239 cases alone added today. I think we are already or beginning state of Community Transition...
It would community spread, if the rate of infection to those tested substantially increases. It should be in the range of 25-30% +

Yesterday, close to 4k+ tests were carried out and the infection rate was around 5-6%.

I keep repeating, we are testing high risk groups, like the Delhi ones. Should result in higher infection rate.
Last edited by nam on 31 Mar 2020 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Venky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Venky »

GO reads salaries are deferred. Still a noteworthy step

hanumadu wrote:https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... qutGM.html

Telangana cut salaries of employees and retirees. I was expecting this to happen. Other states and center will follow soon.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Thanks arshyam saar for finding my post. But I cannot edit it any longer. Needs to be done by an admin I guess.

Admins, please do the needful.

viewtopic.php?p=2424381#p2424381

The article & its content is probably outdated and I request that particular post of mine be removed so that it does not spread false info.

Should have been more careful before posting...I apologize & will try to be more careful in the future.
Last edited by Zynda on 31 Mar 2020 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ritesh wrote:
ritesh wrote: Mod Response

Unlike the original poster, you have been formally warned. The reason is that your act is reckless and willful. Forum guidelines are clear - report a post and/or tell someone to fix their post. Grandstanding like you did, doesn't get you any benefit of doubt.
Not to stretch the agrument... But this is just unfair. Mod, you could have deleted the post without resorting to warning.

Right to life is water and not a rail connectivity which can / could be still achieved by going round about or circumventing it.

I am forced to write here, as dont have pvt msg right.
Ritesh - you have only 1 warning. Please don't pick a fight with a mod, get a second and then banned.

These are tense times. Who knows you might find something elsewhere and post it here. But you can't contribute productively if you get upset at a mod decision and continue this line of discussion.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Venky36 wrote:GO reads salaries are deferred. Still a noteworthy step

Telangana cut salaries of employees and retirees. I was expecting this to happen. Other states and center will follow soon.
What does it mean? Will they pay half now and half later? or the whole salary later?
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

nam wrote:There have been a sudden increase in the past 3 days. Given the increase, these are not outlier cases. So if I take a average of 7-10 days to symptoms, bad enough for people to report to the doctor, we are looking at 18-23 March cases. 22 March was a lockdown.

We were doing well till 3 days back. So what happened during 18-23 March, which caused this spike?

The two most obvious ones are this Delhi get together and people coming back to the country b/w 20-22, before the door closed.
If there are two known source, then hopefully, with aggressive contact tracing, we can contain the spread to some extent.
It would have been ideal if the lockdown has started a week earlier, nothing we can do now.
Removing the Tabligh cases, the lockdown is working. SImilar countries in the same situation had there cases increase 25-30% each day over a 10 day period, while we have averaged barely 10% (20% in the last 2 days).
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

nam wrote:
It would community spread, if the rate of infection to those tested substantially increases. It should be in the range of 25-30% +

Yesterday, close to 4k+ tests were carried out and the infection rate was around 5-6%.

I keep repeating, we are testing high risk groups, like the Delhi ones. Should result in higher infection rate.
That is quite right and needs to be strongly emphasised. Even today's testing put the positive cases at under 3% - though we focus on those most at risk. Europe and US had a 25-30% positive test rate when community transmission began (now down to 10-15%).
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

What a fight, and what an incredible job our Govt guys are doing in terms of contact tracing and quarantining. If only we could have been stricter with these Tablighi covidiots. Fingers crossed and prayers we pull through.
ranneel
BRFite

Post by ranneel »

Deans wrote:
nam wrote:There have been a sudden increase in the past 3 days. Given the increase, these are not outlier cases. So if I take a average of 7-10 days to symptoms, bad enough for people to report to the doctor, we are looking at 18-23 March cases. 22 March was a lockdown.

Removing the Tabligh cases, the lockdown is working. SImilar countries in the same situation had there cases increase 25-30% each day over a 10 day period, while we have averaged barely 10% (20% in the last 2 days).
Mumbai seems to be hotspot again.Kasarkode is under full lockdown.No coming out of house.Police will deliver the essentials it seems.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ritesh wrote: Not to stretch the agrument... But this is just unfair. Mod, you could have deleted the post without resorting to warning.

Right to life is water and not a rail connectivity which can / could be still achieved by going round about or circumventing it.
You are missing the point. You have NO BUSINESS making an emotional post by someone into even more than that, by willfully making it about regionalism. You were warned for your own behavior, and not because of greater or lesser concern for water vs something else.

The mods are willing to give a lot of leeway to those whom we'll first assume are simply being emotional. Literally dozens of posts in this thread have been deleted with no action against posters.

However, we offer no tolerance to those who grandstand like you did. Let that be a lesson to all - it's why your last post was left there for others to see what happens when they do that.

Do NOT prolong the argument further. Move on.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Venky36 wrote:GO reads salaries are deferred. Still a noteworthy step

Bad move at a time like this when Govt servants have such a crucial role to play.

What a great message it would have sent if just CM, Ministers & MLAs cut their salaries to zero.

With all the IT-VT, construction, education, Pharma boom I'm not sure why Telegana state coffers are getting empty within 2 weeks of lockdown :roll: They havent even asked center for help before doing this.