Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karan M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 19530
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 00:58

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Karan M » 23 May 2020 08:21

hanumadu wrote:MH consistently having more new cases per day than New York. They should at least bring laws to make wearing mask compulsory and fine those who don't.


MH sad to say, is a complete disaster zone with Mumbai the center. Pics show many areas, irrespective of community, full of people waltzing about, with only a portion wearing masks.

Perhaps time to just give everyone HCQ and hope for the best, given the ICMR results?

Deans
BRFite
Posts: 1271
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 19:13
Location: Moscow

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Deans » 23 May 2020 09:22

[quote="Zynda"]COVID-19 cases to peak in country between June 21-28: Study

There are 2 definations of peaking.
If it means (as I think it does in this case - and 2 similar projections made earlier in May) the highest number of active cases, then the highest
daily addition in cases would come 15 days earlier. i.e. between 6-13th June, we should have a peak in new cases/day of 7000-7500 which should
decline thereafter, reaching a point between 21-28 June, when recoveries (based on new cases 15 days earlier) overtake the day's active cases,
resulting in a fall in the absolute number of active cases. The projection really depends on when Mumbai, Chennai and Delhi hit their peak in new cases/day (all recorded their highest yesterday).

syam
BRFite
Posts: 749
Joined: 31 Jan 2017 00:13

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby syam » 23 May 2020 09:38

I think mumbai situation is more than little suspicious. even with poor infrastructure, every state in India managing the crisis very well. but somehow mumbai messed it up. very sad. they didn't vote for it, but reaping bad karma.

Shivaji
BRFite
Posts: 110
Joined: 19 Sep 2016 09:39

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Shivaji » 23 May 2020 11:20

Karan M wrote:
hanumadu wrote:MH consistently having more new cases per day than New York. They should at least bring laws to make wearing mask compulsory and fine those who don't.


MH sad to say, is a complete disaster zone with Mumbai the center. Pics show many areas, irrespective of community, full of people waltzing about, with only a portion wearing masks.

Perhaps time to just give everyone HCQ and hope for the best, given the ICMR results?


I had to move out one stranded relative from Kalyan-Dombivli (close to Mumbai) to Pune. I had applied for one-day pass and got one for travel last Sunday.

I was expecting strict checking at District borders but was not asked for the pass even once in entire Pune-Mumbai-Pune journey (may be because I had pasted pass print-out on car). I could see very little traffic on Mumbai-Pune expressway.

I was stunned to see very casual lockdown in Kalyan - Dombivli. It being Sunday, saw lot of people crowding meat shops, wine shops. Could see groups of people chatting at almost every corner. Police seemed to have given up enforcing lock down. With such kind of lock down for any length of time, I am not sure Mumbai region can ever be free of Corona.

In comparison, Pune seems to be following lockdown relatively well. From West Pune to East Pune, I could see very few people on roads.

Karan M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 19530
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 00:58

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Karan M » 23 May 2020 12:22

Thank you for the first hand info. Even the police have given up enforcing lockdown means that no better results can be expected. I don't think there is anything left but to mass deploy HCQ after increasing production proportionately.

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 540
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby DrRatnadip » 23 May 2020 14:28

Karan M wrote:Thank you for the first hand info. Even the police have given up enforcing lockdown means that no better results can be expected. I don't think there is anything left but to mass deploy HCQ after increasing production proportionately.


I am in favour of expanding prophylactic use of HCQ, at least in areas where no social distancing is possible such as slums.. Benefits will be definitely more than associated risk.. We have used chloroquine extensively in past for malaria.. I remember giving it to every fever and chills pt even without lab confirmation of malaria in endemic poor areas.. Nobody used to check for QT interval then .. It was reasonably safe..
Covid seems bigger threat now as it is killing employment, economy and our future simultaneously..

https://theprint.in/health/hcq-breakthr ... se/427583/

hanumadu
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4710
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 12:31

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby hanumadu » 23 May 2020 14:39

Almost 7000 (6700) new cases today. Half of them from MH. 5 day avg of doubling of active cases reduced from 21 to 16 days in the past few days. I wonder if Mumbai is going for herd immunity. When are anti body tests being done in India?

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9800
Joined: 29 May 2007 18:03

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Yagnasri » 23 May 2020 15:19

Being in the red zone, I stopped going out long back except for purchasing weekly vegetables and some items needed for me from the stores opposite my complex. But I see people on the road with masks all the time. No one cares and no one in MH cares. Rumours are all around. Mumbai is in serious problem and there is no end visible.

nvishal
BRFite
Posts: 853
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:03

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby nvishal » 23 May 2020 19:29

Most of the politicians inside shiv sena are village people. Some are barely graduates for certificates sake but almost all are unskilled. Same with maha BJP, congress or NCP.

Much of the skilled(and non-skilled) workforce in maharashtra come from outside.

Many locals(marathis) from mumbai themselves have realised the incompetence of their leaders and have either left Mumbai or finding ways to leave.

----

Be aware that Mumbai is an unplanned city. The roads are barely straight. Buildings and houses have been built wherever possible disregarding basic maths. Countless shanties(jhopad-patties) exist in every town and city around the Mumbai/thane dist(whole Maharashtra even). There is one or two shanties outside every railway station. The maha politicians have carefully maintained these illegal camps because they house lakhs upon lakhs of cheap unskilled labourers which enables(powers) the local industry and markets. Chinese goods that arrive through the sea ports are distributed further towards jharkhand, mp etc. Many of these labourers have fled now making it difficult for industries to run at full capacity. It is difficult to say for sure whether local marathis can fill the massive gap left by these north Indian labourers. The income gap is very huge in Mumbai and I think it has already reached its peak in the early 2010s. Someone like yogi might have already seen an opportunity in this crisis.

Manish_P
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2303
Joined: 25 Mar 2010 17:34

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Manish_P » 23 May 2020 20:51

Speaking of Mumbai

Here's why city local trains are running jam-packed during lockdown

Image

As railway workshops and maintenance shed opened following the gradual lifting of lockdown, trade unions have alleged that local trains run for internal movement of staff are functioning jam-packed without any physical distancing.

A few videos have gone viral on social media showing employees wearing masks but sitting very close to each other.

"COVID-19 has hit Mumbai hard and such things will prove very dangerous," an employee said. He was, however, unable to verify the videos.

"We have already raised the issue of staggering duty hours, inadequate transport facility and further, we have forecasted serious repercussions if the divisions continue to call staff in full strength. We have sought immediate intervention of the General Manager to address this issue, but we not received any reply yet," National Railway Mazdoor Union General Secretary Venu P Nair said.

"Now, most of the branch officers have called for 100 per cent attendance at Matunga workshop and this is leading to crowding inside the coaches," he added.


Note - On the lighter side, being a mumbaikar who commutes (well used to commute) in locals everyday, the train shown in the image would normally be called practically empty :P
(Forum members from mumbai who are aware of super dense crush load will understand what i mean...)

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 540
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby DrRatnadip » 23 May 2020 23:00

Received this from my brother (He is pulmonologist) regarding doxy/ ivermectin combo:

Is there any scientific logic/background for use of
Doxycycline to this study?
a.Antiviral properties: Doxycycline due to its Zinc chelating
properties can inhibit coronavirus infection in humans.
Coronavirus are dependent on Matrix Metallo Proteinases
(MMPs, they have Zinc) for survival in human cells.
b.Doxycycline has anti-inflammatory capabilities that helps in
down regulation of the NFKB pathway as well as a decrease in
levels of inflammatory cytokines such as TNF-a, IL-lB, and IL-6.
This property is independent of its antibiotic mechanism.
c. Doxycycline is also being used in treatment of complicated
Pneumonia & septic shock due to Acute Respiratory
distress syndrome (ARDS). Common in Corona/virus

He insisted that there is no harm in trying this combo..However it is not included in any official protocol in India..

sreerudra
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 38
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 09:20

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby sreerudra » 23 May 2020 23:35

I think this was already discussed. She is an anti-vaxer and a conspiracy theorist.[/quote]

Thank you sai garu!

Zynda
BRFite
Posts: 1883
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:37
Location: J4

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Zynda » 23 May 2020 23:40

DrRatnadip wrote:Received this from my brother (He is pulmonologist) regarding doxy/ ivermectin combo:

Is there any scientific logic/background for use of
Doxycycline to this study?
a.Antiviral properties: Doxycycline due to its Zinc chelating
properties can inhibit coronavirus infection in humans.
Coronavirus are dependent on Matrix Metallo Proteinases
(MMPs, they have Zinc) for survival in human cells.
b.Doxycycline has anti-inflammatory capabilities that helps in
down regulation of the NFKB pathway as well as a decrease in
levels of inflammatory cytokines such as TNF-a, IL-lB, and IL-6.
This property is independent of its antibiotic mechanism.
c. Doxycycline is also being used in treatment of complicated
Pneumonia & septic shock due to Acute Respiratory
distress syndrome (ARDS). Common in Corona/virus

He insisted that there is no harm in trying this combo..However it is not included in any official protocol in India..

^^Thanks for this valuable piece of info. Do you mind if the above is tweeted? If the right people are copied, perhaps we can elicit a reply/answer to why the combo is not being pursued.

I am not on Twitter but can ask others to tweet.

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 540
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby DrRatnadip » 23 May 2020 23:59

Zynda wrote:
DrRatnadip wrote:Received this from my brother (He is pulmonologist) regarding doxy/ ivermectin combo:

Is there any scientific logic/background for use of
Doxycycline to this study?
a.Antiviral properties: Doxycycline due to its Zinc chelating
properties can inhibit coronavirus infection in humans.
Coronavirus are dependent on Matrix Metallo Proteinases
(MMPs, they have Zinc) for survival in human cells.
b.Doxycycline has anti-inflammatory capabilities that helps in
down regulation of the NFKB pathway as well as a decrease in
levels of inflammatory cytokines such as TNF-a, IL-lB, and IL-6.
This property is independent of its antibiotic mechanism.
c. Doxycycline is also being used in treatment of complicated
Pneumonia & septic shock due to Acute Respiratory
distress syndrome (ARDS). Common in Corona/virus

He insisted that there is no harm in trying this combo..However it is not included in any official protocol in India..

^^Thanks for this valuable piece of info. Do you mind if the above is tweeted? If the right people are copied, perhaps we can elicit a reply/answer to why the combo is not being pursued.

I am not on Twitter but can ask others to tweet.


This info should be already available on net i guess.. You are free to tweet sir..

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 540
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby DrRatnadip » 24 May 2020 00:24

https://health.economictimes.indiatimes ... e/75911818

Indian govt is expanding use of HCQ in healthcare workers...

IndraD
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7267
Joined: 26 Dec 2008 15:38
Location: भारत का निश्चेत गगन

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby IndraD » 24 May 2020 01:22

unfortunate news of doctors dying of nCV in India

Illustrious ex HOD of resp medicine, Dr J N Pandey, AIIMS died of nCV https://healthwire.co/former-head-of-me ... -covid-19/

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pune/ ... 904244.cms
Pune physician dies

Mumbai doctor dies of nCV https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-n ... w2xdM.html (ambulance could not arrive!)

MP doctor dies of nCV https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... CitiesNews

nvishal
BRFite
Posts: 853
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 18:03

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby nvishal » 24 May 2020 10:24

I have been using the antibiotic doxycycline for years now on my pet birds(budgerigars) as a prevention against infections. Doxol 100mg costs rs10 for 10 tablets. I think it is also prescribed by some dermatologists against acne. My point is that it is very cheap.

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 540
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby DrRatnadip » 24 May 2020 10:40

IndraD wrote:unfortunate news of doctors dying of nCV in India

Illustrious ex HOD of resp medicine, Dr J N Pandey, AIIMS died of nCV https://healthwire.co/former-head-of-me ... -covid-19/

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pune/ ... 904244.cms
Pune physician dies

Mumbai doctor dies of nCV https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-n ... w2xdM.html (ambulance could not arrive!)

MP doctor dies of nCV https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... CitiesNews


Very sad.. I wish this pandemic is over soon.. It has changed lives of many upside down.. Our healthcare system was neglected since decades.. Still We are doing relatively good because of sacrifices made by our healthcare workers.. Those working in covid hospitals are afraid to meet their loved ones.. My Mom is home quarantined in a different city after coming in contact with Covid pt.. Wife working in triage of Covid pts.. She will also be quarantined for next wk.. I am proud of them and hope i will be able to meet them soon..
Hope after this is over govt gives healthcare sector top priority..

Zynda
BRFite
Posts: 1883
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:37
Location: J4

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Zynda » 24 May 2020 13:34

We now have a special power to kill the virus

Some good news on the Covid treatment front. Cytokine therapy trials, for mild and moderate symptoms in asymptomatic individuals and early-stage symptomatic Covid-19 infections, will begin from Monday. Though approvals are awaited, doctors are optimistic

Starting Monday, HCG Cancer Centre will start conducting cytokine therapy trial on humans, which can treat patients with mild to moderate Covid-19 infection. Cytokines are cell signalling molecules that activate immune response and direct movement of cells towards the infection/inflammation site. The therapy involves injecting this cocktail of chemicals into patients with compromised immune systems. Doctors expect the cytokines to activate the immune response in Covid-19 patients. At least 10 people have volunteered and pre-screening is currently going on at HCG. Dr US Vishal Rao, regional director of head and neck surgical oncology and robotic surgery, HCG Cancer Centre, explains the mechanics of the therapy.

Why cytokines? How do they help?
We found that children with immature immune system recover very well from Covid-19 infection and tend to have milder symptoms; but those in the 65+ age bracket with a more mature immune system are at higher risk. A logical explanation to this could be the active thymus gland which is well developed in children in the mother’s womb itself and gets active soon after birth. In the age group 65-plus, the thymus has degenerated.

The thymus gland is located below the thyroid gland and keeps a memory of the enemy (virus). When there is an attack from the virus, this gland starts recruiting ‘soldiers’ to help in the continuous manufacture of anti-viral proteins to kill the virus.

Most people who are dying (due to Covid-19) are dying between the 8th and the 27th day (of the infection). This is because in the initial days the body has some reserve cells to fight the virus (innate immunity).

But by the 5th to 7th day, they need to start recruiting new people in this fight, for which they need the thymus. But in the 65+ age group, the thymus degenerates because the body says ‘I have seen all the viruses I need to’. So we went back to our labs and started finding out how to activate this immunity (active immunity).

Dr Jyothsna, who has worked with a Nobel Prize winner and has had a great experience with Rockefeller, and Dr Gururaj, a cell biologist with immense knowledge of these procedures, are working on this cytokine therapy.

How do you extract cytokines?
We take 2ml of blood from healthy individuals and get a buffy coat (the froth generated when the blood is spun at a high velocity) full of thymic cells. We take the buffy coat and identify the specific thymus cells which are active in the immune system. We then simulate a virus attack on these cells in the laboratory. Due to this, the cells start secreting these special hormones called cytokines.

What next?
There are four to five cytokines and one among them is the interferon. The word interferon means ‘to interfere’; so, when a cell is dying due to the virus, it releases interferons which are called ‘messenger proteins’. These messenger proteins quickly reach out to the neighbouring cells and inform them that there is an impending viral attack, so please get prepared.

When this happens, several other cells start getting ready with the anti-viral engine in their own blood cell machinery which will kill the virus, whenever it infects this cell.

So what did you create?
We created a concoction of cytokines which we believe will reactivate the immune system completely when the virus is about to enter and attack (the system) and not at the terminal stage.

Who all can benefit from this therapy?
It can be given to a Covid-19 patient’s primary contacts, or someone who is developing cough or cold (due to the infection). If you inject the cytokines, their immune system will be reactivated to such a level that when the virus attacks, their body will be prepared significantly to fight back. What we have done is given the body a ‘special power’ to kill the virus.

How is it different from a vaccine?
Vaccines prevent normal individuals from contracting the virus. Here we are trying to help people infected by the virus to kill the virus by reactivating the immune system. Will this therapy prevent viral infection again? We still do not know.

The experiment on animals is successful. We wanted to see whether the animal was going to get a cytokine storm.

Cytokine storm? What’s that?
Covid-19 patients who are terminally ill go through a storm, where the immune system becomes hyperactive. At this juncture, if interferons were to be given when the person is dying, the system is already releasing so many immune cells and the cells are fighting and there are multiple reactions happening. This is when the immune system gets frustrated. Then, these interferons which went to contact the thymus cells are getting surplus of the immunity and that is when it starts a storm.

So how is this different from plasma therapy?
Cytokine therapy is for mild and moderate symptoms in asymptomatic individuals and early-stage symptomatic Covid-19 infections.

In the second stage - a stage of severe illness — we need to prepare the patient with plasma when the patient shows breathlessness and is not on a ventilator.

In the last step—when the person is on the ventilator — we believe the mesenchymal stem cells are one of the best therapy and China has already given results and we are waiting for the approvals. They are doing it in the US too.

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 540
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby DrRatnadip » 24 May 2020 15:35

After encouraging results of Tocilizumab in Mumbai, Pune task force has authorized its use in 25 pts .. Results will be analysed later and its use will be further expanded to reduce mortality in critically ill pts (especially with cytokine storm)..

vijayk
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4537
Joined: 22 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby vijayk » 24 May 2020 18:43

Zynda wrote:We now have a special power to kill the virus

Some good news on the Covid treatment front. Cytokine therapy trials, for mild and moderate symptoms in asymptomatic individuals and early-stage symptomatic Covid-19 infections, will begin from Monday. Though approvals are awaited, doctors are optimistic

Starting Monday, HCG Cancer Centre will start conducting cytokine therapy trial on humans, which can treat patients with mild to moderate Covid-19 infection. Cytokines are cell signalling molecules that activate immune response and direct movement of cells towards the infection/inflammation site. The therapy involves injecting this cocktail of chemicals into patients with compromised immune systems. Doctors expect the cytokines to activate the immune response in Covid-19 patients. At least 10 people have volunteered and pre-screening is currently going on at HCG. Dr US Vishal Rao, regional director of head and neck surgical oncology and robotic surgery, HCG Cancer Centre, explains the mechanics of the therapy.

Why cytokines? How do they help?
We found that children with immature immune system recover very well from Covid-19 infection and tend to have milder symptoms; but those in the 65+ age bracket with a more mature immune system are at higher risk. A logical explanation to this could be the active thymus gland which is well developed in children in the mother’s womb itself and gets active soon after birth. In the age group 65-plus, the thymus has degenerated.

The thymus gland is located below the thyroid gland and keeps a memory of the enemy (virus). When there is an attack from the virus, this gland starts recruiting ‘soldiers’ to help in the continuous manufacture of anti-viral proteins to kill the virus.

Most people who are dying (due to Covid-19) are dying between the 8th and the 27th day (of the infection). This is because in the initial days the body has some reserve cells to fight the virus (innate immunity).

But by the 5th to 7th day, they need to start recruiting new people in this fight, for which they need the thymus. But in the 65+ age group, the thymus degenerates because the body says ‘I have seen all the viruses I need to’. So we went back to our labs and started finding out how to activate this immunity (active immunity).

Dr Jyothsna, who has worked with a Nobel Prize winner and has had a great experience with Rockefeller, and Dr Gururaj, a cell biologist with immense knowledge of these procedures, are working on this cytokine therapy.

How do you extract cytokines?
We take 2ml of blood from healthy individuals and get a buffy coat (the froth generated when the blood is spun at a high velocity) full of thymic cells. We take the buffy coat and identify the specific thymus cells which are active in the immune system. We then simulate a virus attack on these cells in the laboratory. Due to this, the cells start secreting these special hormones called cytokines.

What next?
There are four to five cytokines and one among them is the interferon. The word interferon means ‘to interfere’; so, when a cell is dying due to the virus, it releases interferons which are called ‘messenger proteins’. These messenger proteins quickly reach out to the neighbouring cells and inform them that there is an impending viral attack, so please get prepared.

When this happens, several other cells start getting ready with the anti-viral engine in their own blood cell machinery which will kill the virus, whenever it infects this cell.

So what did you create?
We created a concoction of cytokines which we believe will reactivate the immune system completely when the virus is about to enter and attack (the system) and not at the terminal stage.

Who all can benefit from this therapy?
It can be given to a Covid-19 patient’s primary contacts, or someone who is developing cough or cold (due to the infection). If you inject the cytokines, their immune system will be reactivated to such a level that when the virus attacks, their body will be prepared significantly to fight back. What we have done is given the body a ‘special power’ to kill the virus.

How is it different from a vaccine?
Vaccines prevent normal individuals from contracting the virus. Here we are trying to help people infected by the virus to kill the virus by reactivating the immune system. Will this therapy prevent viral infection again? We still do not know.

The experiment on animals is successful. We wanted to see whether the animal was going to get a cytokine storm.

Cytokine storm? What’s that?
Covid-19 patients who are terminally ill go through a storm, where the immune system becomes hyperactive. At this juncture, if interferons were to be given when the person is dying, the system is already releasing so many immune cells and the cells are fighting and there are multiple reactions happening. This is when the immune system gets frustrated. Then, these interferons which went to contact the thymus cells are getting surplus of the immunity and that is when it starts a storm.

So how is this different from plasma therapy?
Cytokine therapy is for mild and moderate symptoms in asymptomatic individuals and early-stage symptomatic Covid-19 infections.

In the second stage - a stage of severe illness — we need to prepare the patient with plasma when the patient shows breathlessness and is not on a ventilator.

In the last step—when the person is on the ventilator — we believe the mesenchymal stem cells are one of the best therapy and China has already given results and we are waiting for the approvals. They are doing it in the US too.


Hope/Prayers for this to work

anmol
BRFite
Posts: 1837
Joined: 05 May 2009 17:39

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby anmol » 25 May 2020 00:05

nationalreview.com

Data Leak Suggests China Had Hundreds of Thousands of Coronavirus Cases in 230 Cities | National Review
By Jim Geraghty | May 20, 2020 12:31 PM

This may be the most spectacularly under-discussed story of the pandemic:

A dataset of coronavirus cases and deaths from the military’s National University of Defense Technology, leaked to 100Reporters, offers insight into how Beijing has gathered coronavirus data on its population. The source of the leak, who asked to remain anonymous because of the sensitivity of sharing Chinese military data, said that the data came from the university. . . .

While not fully comprehensive, the data is incredibly rich: There are more than 640,000 updates of information, covering at least 230 cities—in other words, 640,000 rows purporting to show the number of cases in a specific location at the time the data was gathered. Each update includes the latitude, longitude, and “confirmed” number of cases at the location, for dates ranging from early February to late April.


It is worth noting that each of the 640,000 updates counts a number of cases, and that number may be more than one: “The dataset reports one case of coronavirus in a KFC in the eastern city of Zhenjiang on March 14, for example, while a church in the northeastern provincial capital of Harbin saw two cases on March 17.”

There are many reasons to doubt China’s official numbers. The official count of cases hit 84,000 at the beginning of March and has barely risen at all since then. Since March 1, the official data indicates the country — with almost 1.4 billion people — has had only one day with more than 300 new cases. China’s official figures show just two deaths since April 17. In mid-April, the city of Wuhan revised its number of coronavirus deaths from 2,579 to 3,869 — a statistically improbable increase of exactly 50 percent. If China’s numbers are accurate, then tiny Peru — a country with about 2 percent of China’s population — has more cases since the start of the pandemic.

The contention that a country with almost 1.4 billion people, with many living in close quarters in crowded cities with sanitary conditions that are less than ideal, simply brought its number of new cases and deaths down to nearly zero overnight is simply not plausible.

What are China’s real numbers? If each of the updates is a report of one case, the country had 640,000 cases; if the average of each update is 2 cases, it’s about 1.28 million cases; if the average of each update is 3 cases, it’s 1.92 million cases. Keep in mind, this is in 230 cities — not the entire country, but a good chunk of it.

This dataset from 100Reporters suggests China had at least 640,000 to 2 million cases in 230 cities in a three-month period, a range which feels a lot more plausible than the official numbers, if not an absolutely complete count.

A sum of 640,000 by itself would be the second-highest number of total cases in the world, behind the United States and nearly twice as many as Russia’s 308,000. (For what it’s worth, China’s official numbers indicated the country had 17,000 cases by early February.)

China is the furthest along in this pandemic, and ideally, the rest of the world would be able to look at their experiences to know what to expect as the outbreak progresses. But the top priority of the Chinese government is to look masterly and in control at all times, leaving the rest of the world guessing at just how bad things are in that country.

Zynda
BRFite
Posts: 1883
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:37
Location: J4

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Zynda » 25 May 2020 00:27

^^Slowly, more & more data is showing the extant of Covid mishandling & deception the Chinese did to save face and/or deliberately cripple the world (while sacrificing a few thousands of their own). They are too "big" to be punished directly but I do hope they get to pay for their deeds...but I am not very hopeful because their economy & market is key to many other countries' (EU is a superb example) economic revival.

IndraD
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7267
Joined: 26 Dec 2008 15:38
Location: भारत का निश्चेत गगन

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby IndraD » 25 May 2020 01:07

DrRatnadip wrote:Very sad.. I wish this pandemic is over soon.. It has changed lives of many upside down.. Our healthcare system was neglected since decades.. Still We are doing relatively good because of sacrifices made by our healthcare workers.. Those working in covid hospitals are afraid to meet their loved ones.. My Mom is home quarantined in a different city after coming in contact with Covid pt.. Wife working in triage of Covid pts.. She will also be quarantined for next wk.. I am proud of them and hope i will be able to meet them soon..
Hope after this is over govt gives healthcare sector top priority..


I am sure I can say we are very proud of you Dr Ratandeep! Chin up & keep moving, exercise caution & safety, we will get through this as well!

nam
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3579
Joined: 05 Jan 2017 20:48

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby nam » 25 May 2020 01:11

Some good news on vaccine development.

6 prototype DNA vaccine developed, showed remarkable efficiency in monkeys. All 6 developed immune protein and none of the monkeys had lung infection post vaccination. The ones which were not vaccinated, developed lung infection.

Higher the level of immunity protein, lower was the viral load.

https://www.bidmc.org/about-bidmc/news/2020/05/covid-19-vaccine

Zynda
BRFite
Posts: 1883
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:37
Location: J4

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Zynda » 25 May 2020 02:11

Pretty good dashboard about on-going vaccine & drug trials for Covid and their statuses...

https://biorender.com/covid-vaccine-tracker

Docs, it would be helpful if you folks can go through the site in your free time and give us your thoughts...

suryag
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3632
Joined: 11 Jan 2009 00:14

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby suryag » 25 May 2020 02:55

Dr. Ratnadip Sir keep moving you are doing great, it is sad that we cant help except for sitting at home. In case, there is something that we can do let us know.

IndraD
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7267
Joined: 26 Dec 2008 15:38
Location: भारत का निश्चेत गगन

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby IndraD » 25 May 2020 03:38

nam wrote:Some good news on vaccine development.

6 prototype DNA vaccine developed, showed remarkable efficiency in monkeys. All 6 developed immune protein and none of the monkeys had lung infection post vaccination. The ones which were not vaccinated, developed lung infection.

Higher the level of immunity protein, lower was the viral load.

https://www.bidmc.org/about-bidmc/news/2020/05/covid-19-vaccine


at the moment there are 240 vaccines in pipeline, each at different stage of development. Two of them quite talked about at the moment are: Oxford & Moderna. Oxford is into second phase of trial and Moderna will now recruit for phase I trial , they had promising results in Macac monkeys. Oxford one prevented pneumonia in monkeys but couldn't prevent infection.
India has 14 vaccines in development process.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst
they yet have to enter a trial phase but hope to develop a vaccine within 12 months, WHO has enlisted 3 vaccine companies of India.

It is surprising China in spite of harbouring virus since August hasn't developed a vaccine yet! Their vaccine Ad5-nCoV is a genetically engineered vaccine candidate with the replication-defective adenovirus type 5 as the vector to express SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, which intends to be used to prevent the disease caused by Covid-19. Phase I trial saw 108 inoculated with vaccine , while they produced cell & antibody mediated immunity, every patient developed fever, headache, chills :eek:

Such is the pressure on the govt, US has paid $1 billion to Astra Zenca co partnering Oxford vaccine in advance for 100 million shots. UK already is producing 30 million vaccine along with trial as vulnerable must be vaccinated before winter. From buzz US wants to give both (Moderna & Oxford) shots to its people.

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4616
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby chola » 25 May 2020 05:37

Zynda wrote:^^Slowly, more & more data is showing the extant of Covid mishandling & deception the Chinese did to save face and/or deliberately cripple the world (while sacrificing a few thousands of their own). They are too "big" to be punished directly but I do hope they get to pay for their deeds...but I am not very hopeful because their economy & market is key to many other countries' (EU is a superb example) economic revival.


1) If they sacrificed only a few thousands of their people then they basically have things under control and their narrative is correct.

2) If they are covering up hundreds of thousands of cases then their economy is in the sh1tter anyways and no one can count on them for their economic revival.

The signs from the MNCs are all pointing to number 1:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-makers-see-chinese-market-picking-up-leaving-u-s-and-others-behind-11589552255


Car Makers See Chinese Market Picking Up, Leaving U.S. and Others Behind

Industry fears the split could endure as mature markets in the West battle fresh economic headwinds and long-term structural challenges

By William Boston
May 15, 2020 10:17 am ET

BERLIN—Volkswagen AG, the world’s biggest car maker, saw its global sales shrink by almost half in April, but as coronavirus lockdowns in the U.S. and Europe stunted demand the reopening of China’s economy offered signs of recovery.

The figures are the latest and most striking example of the decoupling under way between the reviving Chinese market and persistently weak demand in the West, a trend already on display in figures from other European car makers in recent weeks.

...



I'm beginning to think that bad karma only happens to those who believe in it. Chinis are athiests.

jaysimha
BRFite
Posts: 1187
Joined: 20 Dec 2017 14:30

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby jaysimha » 25 May 2020 13:08


jaysimha
BRFite
Posts: 1187
Joined: 20 Dec 2017 14:30

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby jaysimha » 25 May 2020 13:11

Tata Sons to help make ‘Feluda’, CSIR’s Satyajit Ray-inspired Covid paper test kit
Tata Sons and CSIR have signed an MoU for the ‘licencing of knowhow’, and want to make the kit available for Covid-19 testing on the ground by the end of May.
SHANKER ARNIMESH 7 May, 2020 4:11 pm IST

https://theprint.in/science/tata-sons-to-help-make-feluda-csirs-satyajit-ray-inspired-covid-paper-test-kit/416390/

nam
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3579
Joined: 05 Jan 2017 20:48

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby nam » 25 May 2020 14:18

IndraD wrote:at the moment there are 240 vaccines in pipeline, each at different stage of development. Two of them quite talked about at the moment are: Oxford & Moderna. Oxford is into second phase of trial and Moderna will now recruit for phase I trial , they had promising results in Macac monkeys. Oxford one prevented pneumonia in monkeys but couldn't prevent infection.


Compared to the Oxford vaccine, the American one at the Israel institute, managed to completely stop the infection in all the 6 prototypes.

No one will go for vaccine, which only prevents pneumonia, while there might alternatives which completely eradicates the viral load. They are showing it is possible to completely eradicate the viral load.

Orxford is trying to use it's brand to continue work on a vaccine & probably make money, end result may not be working as desired. Too much hope and pr on the oxford vaccine.

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3948
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby kit » 25 May 2020 14:23

chola wrote:
Zynda wrote:^^Slowly, more & more data is showing the extant of Covid mishandling & deception the Chinese did to save face and/or deliberately cripple the world (while sacrificing a few thousands of their own). They are too "big" to be punished directly but I do hope they get to pay for their deeds...but I am not very hopeful because their economy & market is key to many other countries' (EU is a superb example) economic revival.


1) If they sacrificed only a few thousands of their people then they basically have things under control and their narrative is correct.

2) If they are covering up hundreds of thousands of cases then their economy is in the sh1tter anyways and no one can count on them for their economic revival.

The signs from the MNCs are all pointing to number 1:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-makers-see-chinese-market-picking-up-leaving-u-s-and-others-behind-11589552255


Car Makers See Chinese Market Picking Up, Leaving U.S. and Others Behind

Industry fears the split could endure as mature markets in the West battle fresh economic headwinds and long-term structural challenges

By William Boston
May 15, 2020 10:17 am ET

BERLIN—Volkswagen AG, the world’s biggest car maker, saw its global sales shrink by almost half in April, but as coronavirus lockdowns in the U.S. and Europe stunted demand the reopening of China’s economy offered signs of recovery.

The figures are the latest and most striking example of the decoupling under way between the reviving Chinese market and persistently weak demand in the West, a trend already on display in figures from other European car makers in recent weeks.

...



I'm beginning to think that bad karma only happens to those who believe in it. Chinis are athiests.


Karma is the one of the basic tenets of nature laws or physics if you may. As you sow so you reap. No escape from the results of an action. You dont have to believe, but you will when it hits :mrgreen:

anmol
BRFite
Posts: 1837
Joined: 05 May 2009 17:39

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby anmol » 25 May 2020 14:28

nocamels.com

Israeli Scientists Submit Patent For Self-Disinfecting, Reusable Mask | Health News
By NoCamels Team | May 25, 2020

A group of Israeli scientists submitted a US patent for a reusable, self-disinfecting protective face mask developed at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology.

The product was created by Professor Yair Ein-Eli, dean of the Technion’s Faculty of Materials Science and Engineering, who developed a reusable face mask that can be disinfected in a controlled manner using heat – a process that destroys any pathogens accumulated on the mask and renders it reusable.

The technology is based on an inner layer of carbon fibers spread homogenously within the mask. The disinfection process occurs when this layer is heated using a low current source, such as an electric mobile phone charger, the Technion explained in a statement.

Professor Ein-Eli’s research group created the mask prototype and tested it together with Professor Debbie Lindell and Prof. Oded Beja from the Faculty of Biology.

A patent for the tech was submitted in the US in late March and the group is currently in talks with industrial companies for the commercialization of the mask, according to the university.

hanumadu
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4710
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 12:31

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby hanumadu » 25 May 2020 16:05

Shekhar Gupta
@ShekharGupta
Meanwhile in Bharat...

Wheat procurement for 2020-21 surpasses 2019’s 34.13 million tonnes amid Covid-19 crisis


We had concerns about harvesting crops during covid19. Look like its not an issue.
Only urban areas are experiencing covid cases.

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4616
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby chola » 25 May 2020 16:44

hanumadu wrote:
Shekhar Gupta
@ShekharGupta
Meanwhile in Bharat...

Wheat procurement for 2020-21 surpasses 2019’s 34.13 million tonnes amid Covid-19 crisis


We had concerns about harvesting crops during covid19. Look like its not an issue.
Only urban areas are experiencing covid cases.


The concerns came from the lockdown not actually from the workforce being incapacitated by the virus.

I believe if the chinks had never put Wuhan into lockdown, we would be dealing with this scourge like Sweden with far less damage to our economy.

Until Wuhan, no one thought it was even feasable to lockdown millions.

Primus
BRFite
Posts: 999
Joined: 06 Mar 2002 12:31
Location: Ground Zero

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Primus » 25 May 2020 18:26

IndraD wrote:
DrRatnadip wrote:Very sad.. I wish this pandemic is over soon.. It has changed lives of many upside down.. Our healthcare system was neglected since decades.. Still We are doing relatively good because of sacrifices made by our healthcare workers.. Those working in covid hospitals are afraid to meet their loved ones.. My Mom is home quarantined in a different city after coming in contact with Covid pt.. Wife working in triage of Covid pts.. She will also be quarantined for next wk.. I am proud of them and hope i will be able to meet them soon..
Hope after this is over govt gives healthcare sector top priority..


I am sure I can say we are very proud of you Dr Ratandeep! Chin up & keep moving, exercise caution & safety, we will get through this as well!


Agree with Dr. Indra. Ratnadip Ji, your service here on BRF has been stellar, just as it must be in the field I am sure. Hang in there, this too shall pass. Proud of the medical fraternity everywhere. For the first time in decades I feel we are being recognized for the selfless care that we deliver in the face of terrible odds.

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4616
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby chola » 25 May 2020 19:02

^^^ ++++++++!

From someone who is not in the medical field but cannot help but offer you my admiration. Sadly, it takes a catastrophy like this to make people stand up and notice. But I hope the silver lining is new priority, support and resources for the health care system and its great and selfless people.

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1930
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby darshan » 25 May 2020 19:38

I think UP was thinking of offering khadi masks to public. IMO, everyone coming to collect ration should be given mask(s) of whatever locally available material. People should be wearing whatever mask not only because of the virus not also due to air pollution.

There were many pictures of cyclone affected areas where people were walking around without masks.

Zynda
BRFite
Posts: 1883
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:37
Location: J4

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby Zynda » 25 May 2020 19:38

Russia enters final stage of clinical trial of drug to treat Covid patients

Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, and ChemRar Group on Friday announced the start of the final stage of the multicenter randomized open comparative clinical trial of the drug Favipiravir on patients hospitalized with COVID-19.

On 21 May, the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation approved the launch of the final stage, which will involve 330 patients compared to 60 during the initial stage, as well as additional research and medical centers. In total, 30 medical centers in nine Russian regions will conduct studies at the final stage.

The first stage of the trials has already been completed. It lasted 10 days and involved 60 patients with coronavirus infection with moderate illness. Forty people received Favipiravir treatment and the other 20 patients from the control group were on standard therapy. According to the results of the first stage, Favipiravir demonstrated safety with no new or previously unreported side effects detected. The drug’s efficacy was above a threshold of 80%, which is the criterion for a drug with high antiviral activity. The body temperature of 68% of patients taking Favipiravir returned to normal earlier (on the third day) than in the control group (on the sixth day). On average, complete elimination of the virus from the body as a result of Favipiravir treatment occurred in four days, while in the standard therapy group this process took nine days.

Following the first four days of treatment, 65% of the 40 patients who took Favipiravir tested negative for coronavirus, which is twice as many as in the standard therapy group. By day 10, the number of patients whose tests returned negative results reached 35 out of 40.

Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, said, “We continue to receive promising data during the clinical trials of Favipiravir. At least 85% of patients in the control groups completely recovered from coronavirus within 10 days after the start of the treatment with the drug. We expect a positive final result of the trial, which will enable us to complete the registration procedure for the drug in Russia and roll out full-scale production and delivery to medical institutions across the country."

“We noticed a faster improvement in the general health and clinical condition of the patients taking Favipiravir, which may lead to earlier discharge from hospital and reduce the burden on medical facilities by 30-40% in the near future. Thanks to the administration of Favipiravir, most patients are not infectious as early as the fifth day of treatment, which is critical to stop the epidemic and ensure a swift return to normal life,” said Elena Yakubova, CEO of ChemRar Pharma.


I understand Favipiravir trials were either approved or being conducted in India. Any updates on the status of its efficacy among Indian patients? Based on the recent events, it seems like India is putting more stock in to Remdesivir based the article in the next post...


Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anoop, nandakumar and 29 guests