Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by darshan »

Note that many leaving US have higher luggage due to cargo restrictions. Well to do offsprings are heading back as their families are reacting to US news and numbers. Other people heading back are with visa issues and don't want to burn reserves as economy is not well to find illegal work. I have received calls to help out such and such to stay one more month in US from people that I didn't even know that I'm related to. For example, foreign students are running out of money or venues to replenish.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

sudarshan wrote:^ Ji, could you not quote the entire long post just to add a "thanks" at the end?

Rishi_Tri, thanks for sharing. So anybody who boards a flight right now is on their own as far as meals go?
Rishi_Tri wrote: 3. BSY understands how deep the economic impact of this China Virus shall go and he is balancing the economic disaster gradually setting itself in ground and the need for public health. He has an uneviable task at hand and has managed very well so far.

More than anything else, it shall be the economic affects of this virus that shall impact our lives for years to come. The true battle has not even started.
Most people haven't begun to comprehend the extent of damage to the economy. They think it is blasphemous to be "thinking of money" right now. The economy is life, a lot of people are going to be dying in the years to come because of economic hardship.

Yeddyurappa might understand this, but he has no choice. It makes most sense right now to protect the vulnerable (especially the elderly) and let the rest of the productive economy go on, with adequate precautions (social distancing). People are freaking about the wrong metric - case counts. It is the numbers of hospitalizations, severe cases, and deaths which need watching, but hospitalization and severe case rates are not even being reported in most places.
So anybody who boards a flight right now is on their own as far as meals go? - You shall get prepackaged meal left under your seat. It contains breakfast (croissants, muffins, butter, curd), dinner (cheese as in cheese sandwich with salad etc. to go along with it), snacks (different Haldirams), and two bottles of 500 ml water. You can eat the meal whenever you feel like. But yes, no serving of any kind.

Agree with everything, you said on economy and the medical stats. ..

Its Monday evening 6 o'clock in Delhi... traffic would be around 30% of what it normally is. DTC buses are plying but its the not the sight you would see ie. people hanging from doors, windows.. but occupancy of 20-30% .. with seats empty..
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

For the past 20 days, Mumbai Metropolitan Corporation (MMC) has been consistently having daily new cases in the 1200s to 1300s with one 1400+ and one 1500+. The active cases came down from 28,000 to 22,000 while daily new cases in MH and India nearly doubled.
Don't know if this is because of herd immunity or better management. Delhi daily active cases halved once GOI/Amit Shah took over. So MMC could just be a case of better management.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13kor68 ... 9ogMi/view
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Active cases in Mumbai and Chennai are decreasing while they keep increasing in the rest of Maharashtra and TN. It does seem that if powers that be want, they can quickly reverse the trend. Delhi is a prime example where they halved daily new cases.

Shivaji
BRFite

Post by Shivaji »

So here is my own experience with virus and the system in Pune.

Wife had fever in last week of June, followed by sister-in-law who is with us on visit and kids. I got fever and body ache on 2nd July. Our initial thought was it to be viral fever and hence we consulted our GP. GP administered Azithromycin for adults and advised Calpol (Paracetamol) for kids.

Wife further developed cough and Diarrhea which prompted our GP to recommend covid 19 test for her. She tested Covid 19 positive on 5-July and we had her admitted to a private hospital in Pune as a precautionary measure. She has been discharged last Friday and is doing fine now.

No idea as to where we got it as we used to go out only for essentials. None in my colony has it.

This is what I realized in this w.r.t. Virus:
1. Adults around 40 years of age, so low-to-medium risk category. My daughters aged 3 and 7 and their cousin of 15 years.
2. Symptoms were high fever, body ache, diarrhea for all. Wife had cough and sister-in-law had loss of taste.
3. Kids recovered in less than a day. I recovered in about 3 days. Sister-in-law recovered in about 5 days.
4. Wife had slow recovery due to high sugar level which we did not know about.
5. Sister-in-law also has diabetes but has her sugar level under control due to her regular medicines. She recovered without any issues.
6. If wife would not have had slow recovery from cough and diarrhea due to undetected high sugar level, we would have been Covid 19 recovered without even knowing it.
7. Even today 5 of us are covid 19 recovered and do not appear in any of the data points.
8. Did not feel Covid 19 symptoms and severity any different from normal viral fever.
9. Oxygen level always in excess of 95% (used to measure it 3 times a day and before / after 5 minutes walk) for all of us throughout. Based on interactions with Doctors during wife's hospitalisation, this can be monitored to decide on severity and need for hospitalization.
10. HCQ was not given to us recovered Dr as we were already given azithromycin by GP. But Doctors at Hospital had full faith in HCQ and is given to wife now.

Observations on system:
1. It is easy to get a test done at private hospital. You just need a prescription from your GP giving symptoms and duration.
2. Our colony has been sympathetic so far barring few exceptions. No boycott or thing of that sort experienced.
3. We were contacted on phone by PMC zonal office and they asked us to self-isolate considering mild symptoms.
4. Police HQ called and asked us if symptoms are severe and to self-isolate as well.
5. Scenes at Hospital were depressing though. People wanting beds but not getting the beds as almost all of them occupied. Saw one elderly lady passing away as she was brought in a very serious condition.
6. Health care workers are overwhelmed with number of patients and enormity of the task but they are valiantly fighting on. Really appreciate their efforts in such a situation. Patients seem to expect normal service from Hospital staff but do not understand that Health care workers need to conserve themselves as well.
7. Bureaucracy at Hospitals is pathetic. Even to get a Covid 19 test of 5 minutes done, we had to spend 3 hours in procedure increasing chances of transmission.
8. From calls of friends and family received, it seems that people are in general scared by news of Quarantine centers, food / facilities there, associated stigma more than virus itself.
9. System may do well to revise quarantine policy. Also, instead of spending resources / efforts on sanitizing / sealing buildings / areas, they would do well to focus on Hospital management like making patients know where beds are available, increasing number of beds etc.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Bharath
@brakoo
From 26K active cases 7-8 days ago, Chennai is down to 16.6K active cases!
SuperStar 16-Bihar Regiment Flag of India
@NagpurKaRajini

Lockdown helped.
So it's going to be a series of lock downs and relaxations till god knows when. People can help prolong the relaxation periods by taking proper precautions like wearing a mask, avoiding out doors when not necessary, no family gatherings etc.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Shivaji wrote:So here is my own experience with virus and the system in Pune.
Many thanks for sharing your experience Shivaji, and great to know that you had recovered. How easy (or difficult) was it to find a bed in Pune? I am hearing nightmare stories, and a BJP MLA from the City confirmed the same.
The scariest part about this disease is the way it hits even those taking maximum precautions and go out only if they absolutely have to.
There is a case on the floor below where I live, and it is currently restricted only to mild fever and cough. As a result the patient was sent back from Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital (a large hospital here in Pune) and asked to home quarantine. Family was NOT tested as they are not showing symptoms.
There is a new lockdown in effect now, not sure how much it will help, as everything including grocery stores are to be shut.
Shivaji
BRFite

Post by Shivaji »

sajo wrote: Many thanks for sharing your experience Shivaji, and great to know that you had recovered. How easy (or difficult) was it to find a bed in Pune? I am hearing nightmare stories, and a BJP MLA from the City confirmed the same.
Sajo ji, my batchmate works in the Covid 19 ward of the Hospital and was instrumental in getting us the bed. From what I understand, beds with ventilator are in great demand. My wife did not need Oxygen and hence we could get the bed after little effort.

Below link gives status of beds in Pune area.

https://www.divcommpunecovid.com/ccsbed ... 08AA292D76

In our society whatsapp group I have suggested this:
1. Covid 19 symptoms are said to worsen between days 5 and 10
2. So treat every fever as Covid 19 and start monitoring Oxygen saturation using Pulse Oximeter
3. If O2 saturation is decreasing, start using contacts / links for bed (unfortunately that is the only way) so that you do not have to rush when situation has actually turned serious
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

NYC reports 0 deaths in the last 24 hrs.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... 8fd2711c3a

Its only when our metros begin to show a significant drop in daily cases/deaths can we say the worst is over.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Not sure this was posted before, but - so much for herd immunity (for that matter even vaccines are no guarantee):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-suggests
A Cambridge University virologist said the study should ‘put another nail in the coffin of herd immunity’.
Our greatest hope lies in therapeutics and preventive care it seems to me. More power to PY and Coronil, wot
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

^ That's not the take-away they want you to take away from that piece. The piece was plugging for vaccines with regular booster shots (every few months, I guess). It's funny, when it comes to military or political matters, folks here are so wary of trusting the guardian, so why not parse and dissect their reporting on medical and scientific matters as well? There's enough know-how on this forum for that.

If it is true that 60% of people develop strong antibody reactions when exposed to the disease (like the piece says) and that 80% don't develop symptoms at all, then how does it matter if antibody protection wanes in a few months (if that's really true)? The next exposure will generate reaction again, no?

Thanks for sharing that, Shivaji. So 2/3 (not counting the kids) recovered fine, I think the good news is that even with preconditions, if they're under control, there shouldn't be too much of a problem in recovering.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Shivaji wrote:So here is my own experience with virus and the system in Pune.

Wife had fever in last week of June, followed by sister-in-law who is with us on visit and kids. I got fever and body ache on 2nd July. Our initial thought was it to be viral fever and hence we consulted our GP. GP administered Azithromycin for adults and advised Calpol (Paracetamol) for kids.

Wife further developed cough and Diarrhea which prompted our GP to recommend covid 19 test for her. She tested Covid 19 positive on 5-July and we had her admitted to a private hospital in Pune as a precautionary measure. She has been discharged last Friday and is doing fine now.

No idea as to where we got it as we used to go out only for essentials. None in my colony has it.

This is what I realized in this w.r.t. Virus:
1. Adults around 40 years of age, so low-to-medium risk category. My daughters aged 3 and 7 and their cousin of 15 years.
2. Symptoms were high fever, body ache, diarrhea for all. Wife had cough and sister-in-law had loss of taste.
3. Kids recovered in less than a day. I recovered in about 3 days. Sister-in-law recovered in about 5 days.
4. Wife had slow recovery due to high sugar level which we did not know about.
5. Sister-in-law also has diabetes but has her sugar level under control due to her regular medicines. She recovered without any issues.
6. If wife would not have had slow recovery from cough and diarrhea due to undetected high sugar level, we would have been Covid 19 recovered without even knowing it.
7. Even today 5 of us are covid 19 recovered and do not appear in any of the data points.
8. Did not feel Covid 19 symptoms and severity any different from normal viral fever.
9. Oxygen level always in excess of 95% (used to measure it 3 times a day and before / after 5 minutes walk) for all of us throughout. Based on interactions with Doctors during wife's hospitalisation, this can be monitored to decide on severity and need for hospitalization.
10. HCQ was not given to us recovered Dr as we were already given azithromycin by GP. But Doctors at Hospital had full faith in HCQ and is given to wife now.
Glad that all turned out good.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

@Shivaji, great informative post!!!

I am glad you and your family recovered and hope the best for you going forward.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

There is a massive massive success story going on in Delhi as we speak!

Remember just a few weeks ago when things look completely grim? With beds running out? They've beaten this thing back dramatically.

This should be global news. For one of the world's biggest city to turn this around so quickly is amazing. New York took far longer and took far more deaths to get a handle on things.

India when the chips are down will get the job because everyone is on the same page. Can't say that for the US where things are spiraling out of control.

https://www.deccanherald.com/national/n ... 60898.html

Covid-19: Delhi records 1,246 fresh cases, lowest in last 35 days; LNJP to have city's second plasma bank

PTI, JUL 14 2020, 04:14 ISTUPDATED: JUL 14 2020, 04:14 IST

The national capital on Monday recorded 1,246 fresh coronavirus cases, authorities said, the lowest in the last 35 days.

In another positive trend, the first 12 days of July have largely reported more cases of people recovering daily from the coronavirus than the fresh ones added to Delhi's Covid-19 count, according to the city government data. The recovery rate stands at over 80 per cent.

It was also for the third consecutive day that figures of fresh cases remained below 2,000 in Delhi. On June 11, the number of new cases was 1,781 which dropped to 1,573 and 1,246 in the next two days.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/how-de ... 937344.cms

https://newsd.in/number-of-recoveries-f ... -in-delhi/
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

As have the much maligned GJ and MP. GJ had an alarming CFR in May and June, they have quietly brought down the daily case CFR to just above 1 from what used to be ~7, same with MP. MH, TN and now KA, AP and TL seem to be on a worrying trend, we probably wont see a drop until late August in overall daily cases and deaths.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Delhi: Reducing infection rate or making more hospital beds available is understandable (commendable, but understandable), but how did they manage to increase the recovery rate? Is there a working cure?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Indulge me on this. Some doctor I know has sent it ...
H2O2 Nebulization
Nebulization is a process where you take medication and put it in a device that aerosolizes so you can easily inhale it. This allows hydrogen peroxide to be in direct contact in places where it needs to be. In this cases it is mucous lining of nose, oral cavity, throat, sinuses and respiratory tract. virus multiplies in nose because it is cooler place.
Mechanism of action - Some peroxidase enzymes like myeloperoxidase use hydrogen peroxide to generate other antioxidants such as hypochlorous acid which is used by neutrophils in defense against pathogens thereby repurposing ROS for immune function.
Oxygen is generated when H2O2 breaks down to oxygen and water on contact with enzyme catalase. This extra oxygen atom inactivate viral pathogen. Due to electron transfer it turns to highly reactive molecule and uses a virus to attach and to another virus and chain reaction goes on. If you are nebulizing use 1% or 1.5% food grade, if you are Misting 3% food grade is fine. If you notice burning, cut back the concentration.
Sensitivity - Microorganisms that are sensitive to hydrogen peroxide are from most sensitive to least sensitive order 1. Enveloped virus such as HIV, Hep B and Influenza, 2. Gram positive Staph and Strep. 3. Non-enveoped virus like adenosine virus. 4. Ascaris, cryptosporidium and Giaridia. 5. Pseudomonas, Klebsiella, Eschirichia. Not sensitive to Prions, Bacterial or protozoal spores.
Why this is not well known?
With discovery of antibiotics, use of hydrogen peroxide took back seat in 1940s.
Grades of H2O2:
Pharmaceutical grade found in drug store is 3% hydrogen peroxide. This has stabilizers, meant to be used for wounds.
Food grade has no stabilizers, comes in 35%,12% and 3%

Methods:
Inhalation through spray bottle, Drinking,
nebulization

1)Nebulization (at home treatment)-
15-20 drops 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide, 10 drops of nascent iodine(do NOT use potassium iodide, Use only Nascent iodine), Normal saline 20 drops.

Blow-by treatment - Occlude the mouth piece through your palm and let the mist come out from other end, point to nose and breath it through nose. This delivers less medication. Advantage is you can just breathe through nose.
For ANY lung infections this will knock it out in a couple of days nebulizing like this 3-4 times daily.

Dilution for Nebulization: Dilute H2O2 with Normal Saline to make it to 1% H2O2. If it gives burning sensation, dilute it to even 0.5% which is still effective.
3% H2O2 - add 4 cups of 3% to 11 cups of Normal Saline
12% H2O2 - add 1 cup to 11 cups of Normal saline
Nebulizer use - You can use either face cup or T piece and inhale through mouth and exhale through nose. Do not buy battery operated nebulizers as they don’t work effectively.

2)Hydrogen peroxide misted inhalation therapy: use 1% food grade hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and inhale it. Exhale(breathe out) all the air, open your mouth and spray 6 times while inhaling. If doing this on one breath is difficult, do this is two breaths, 3 sprays with each breath. 6 pumps 6 times a day if you are symptomatic. If no symptoms, just do 6 pumps twice a day as prevention.
3)Drinking in am: Add one teaspoon of 3% H2O2 in 8 oz glass of water and drink in morning or 3 hours after dinner. (CAUTION: This dilution is only for 3%, so never put 1 tsp of 35% in a glass of water)
4.Nasal irrigation/Neti potting
5.Gargling

How to make Normal Saline from filtered tap water:
To create Normal saline, take 1 cup of filtered water and add ½ tsp of salt.
The reason you use saline is because concentration of salt will not damage cells from peroxide. If distilling water is used, it can create osmatic differential which can damage cell membrane.

Advantages - Minimum toxicity if used in right concentration, safe, effective, inexpensive, biodegradable
Caution: for those seriously thinking to give a try to H2O2, only start slowly and carefully. Educate yourself! Oxygen is highly reactive and because of this could cause harm if it is used improperly or if it is not food grade.

Book:
ONE MINUTE CURE by MADISON CAVANAH . It explains about 35% FOOD GRADE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

RootHealthMD, Dr Sailaja Reddy 2020

Another doctor similar method

https://www.naturalblaze.com/2020/07/te ... tment.html
Texas Doctor Reverses Coronavirus Symptoms In 100% Of Cases With Inexpensive Treatment

https://www.hospimedica.com/covid-19/ar ... id-19.html
Asthma Medicine Hailed as Effective Treatment for COVID-19
By HospiMedica International staff writers
Posted on 13 Jul 2020
Budesonide, a medicine used to help prevent the symptoms of asthma, is being touted as the “silver bullet” for COVID-19.

Budesonide, a corticosteroid or steroid, reduces the severity of asthma attack by preventing inflammation in the lungs and can be inhaled directly to the lungs using a nebulizer. Daily use of inhaled budesonide reduces the number and severity of asthma attacks, although it cannot provide relief from an asthma attack that is already underway. Dr. Richard Bartlett, a US doctor, believes that budesonide, otherwise known as the brand name Pulmicor, can successfully treat the coronavirus. Dr. Bartlett claims to have used inhaled, generic budesonide to cure several COVID-19 patients who have vouched for his treatment.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

sudarshan wrote:^ That's not the take-away they want you to take away from that piece. The piece was plugging for vaccines with regular booster shots (every few months, I guess). It's funny, when it comes to military or political matters, folks here are so wary of trusting the guardian, so why not parse and dissect their reporting on medical and scientific matters as well? There's enough know-how on this forum for that.

If it is true that 60% of people develop strong antibody reactions when exposed to the disease (like the piece says) and that 80% don't develop symptoms at all, then how does it matter if antibody protection wanes in a few months (if that's really true)? The next exposure will generate reaction again, no?

Thanks for sharing that, Shivaji. So 2/3 (not counting the kids) recovered fine, I think the good news is that even with preconditions, if they're under control, there shouldn't be too much of a problem in recovering.
Not sure what your takeaway was or what you think my takeaway was. The article's takeaway notwithstanding, My point was that vaccines won't be of much use nor herd immunity, if you can't build one. Hence the focus needs to be on therapeutics and preventives.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Cain Marko wrote: Not sure what your takeaway was or what you think my takeaway was. The article's takeaway notwithstanding, My point was that vaccines won't be of much use nor herd immunity, if you can't build one. Hence the focus needs to be on therapeutics and preventives.
I agree that the focus has to be on preventives/ therapeutics, with the additional point that it seems (from that article) that antibody responses don't *have* to be permanent, they seem to build up on demand (i.e., when there is an infection - so even if it is true that antibody levels wane very fast, that is not something to freak about). Just pointing out that your observation, was not the way the article interpreted it. The author(s) were implying that since antibody levels waned quickly, the only way out was to keep vaccinating every few months with booster shots, which of course, is also good for the bottomline.

Same observation (that antibody levels seem to wane pretty fast), two different conclusions - yours (which I agree with), versus the pessimistic view (that natural immune response is useless, and regular external intervention is needed). I tend to think of the western approach to medicine as maximalist, and often disregarding the principle of "first, do no harm." If a medicine has umpteen side-effects, many of which are worse than the disease it treats, then that automatically defeats the "do no harm" principle. My view (as a novice to the medical field), is that ayurveda works in harmony with the body's own reaction to disease, whereas allopathy seems to regard the body's reaction (such as pain or fever) as a nuisance to be suppressed, while addressing the disease.

Sorry if you thought that was a criticism of your post.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Ambar wrote:NYC reports 0 deaths in the last 24 hrs.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... 8fd2711c3a

Its only when our metros begin to show a significant drop in daily cases/deaths can we say the worst is over.
Which was offset by the shooting of 18 people in NYC in the last 24 hours!
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

sudarshan wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: Not sure what your takeaway was or what you think my takeaway was. The article's takeaway notwithstanding, My point was that vaccines won't be of much use nor herd immunity, if you can't build one. Hence the focus needs to be on therapeutics and preventives.
I agree that the focus has to be on preventives/ therapeutics, with the additional point that it seems (from that article) that antibody responses don't *have* to be permanent, they seem to build up on demand (i.e., when there is an infection - so even if it is true that antibody levels wane very fast, that is not something to freak about). Just pointing out that your observation, was not the way the article interpreted it. The author(s) were implying that since antibody levels waned quickly, the only way out was to keep vaccinating every few months with booster shots, which of course, is also good for the bottomline.

Same observation (that antibody levels seem to wane pretty fast), two different conclusions - yours (which I agree with), versus the pessimistic view (that natural immune response is useless, and regular external intervention is needed). I tend to think of the western approach to medicine as maximalist, and often disregarding the principle of "first, do no harm." If a medicine has umpteen side-effects, many of which are worse than the disease it treats, then that automatically defeats the "do no harm" principle. My view (as a novice to the medical field), is that ayurveda works in harmony with the body's own reaction to disease, whereas allopathy seems to regard the body's reaction (such as pain or fever) as a nuisance to be suppressed, while addressing the disease.

Sorry if you thought that was a criticism of your post.
No worries and no apologies. Just was not sure of what you meant in the post. Thanks for clarifying it..I find it most reasonable. And your thoughts on Ayurveda are spot on imho (and in my experience).
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

A thread about Pune's woeful state by a sitting MLA.

https://twitter.com/SidShirole/status/1 ... 64801?s=19
#Pune is a few days away from a medical catastrophe. State Govt. has failed. I on behalf of every Punekar have written to Hon. PM @narendramodi ji, Hon. HM @AmitShah ji, Hon. MoHFW @drharshvardhan ji, Shri. @Dev_Fadnavis ji and sought intervention from the Central Govt. (1/n) https://t.co/bqDWKBwVWP

#Pune District is among the top 3 districts in the country in terms of active #COVID19 infections. The infected patients in Pune Metropolitan Region are rapidly rising and the already overburdened medical infrastructure is on the verge of a major collapse. (2/n)

As per the latest numbers #Pune is currently facing a shortfall off over 200 ICU & 100 Ventilator beds which has led to numerous citizens losing their lives. It is a grim reminder of failure of State Govt to be prepared for much predicted increase in #COVID19 infections (3/n)

State Govt has been misleading people with projections & statistics of preparedness that are far away from reality. #Pune has one of the highest mortality & infection growth rates in India, and till date doesn't have genuine plans for a 10000+ bed #Covid19 Treatment Center.
(4/n)
Administration is banking on & enforcing private hospitals to help with the #COVID19 crisis, which are also stretched to their limits. With daily decrease in beds & facilities available for non-covid illnesses and surgeries the medical crisis in #Pune is deepening rapidly. (5/n)

It has been more than 100 days since we had the first #LockDown, it is unfortunate that even after raising concerns for weeks now, the state leadership has failed woefully in preparing #Pune for this spike in #COVID19 infections as forecasted by most epidemiology. (6/n)

We are 3 days into a 10 day #lockdown which was enforced to disguise failures of the State Government and to buy the administration some time to revamp and rebuild Pune's medical infrastructure and prepare for a future spike in the #COVID19 infections. (7/n)

Leadership that is paramount in times of such crisis is acutely missing. Hon. @CMOMaharashtra Shri. Uddhav Thackeray ji has not made a single visit to #Pune in the past 100 days either to oversee preparedness or even to encourage the #COVID19 warriors (8/n)

Hon. CM @OfficeofUT ji has till date not called for an update or review meeting via phone / video conference with elected representatives of #Pune who are working on the ground during this unprecedented pandemic. Even emails from my office are yet to receive a reply. (9/n)

#Pune is just a few days away from a medical catastrophe. State Govt. has failed on multiple levels. Hence I on behalf of Pune have requested the Central Govt. to intervene and provide support for medical infrastructure that our city so desperately needs. (10/10)
Local reports are full of stories where people are succumbing to covid without comorbidities for want of hospital beds/critical care.
Our member @Shivaji sir confirms the same. Those who are connected and moneyed (I mean serious money, not middle class or the medically insured) are having it relatively easy.
Unless something is done urgently, Pune is doomed. Our Penguin Pitah is busy fiddling. Ajit Pawar (the city's guardian minister) seems to not know what to do when presented with a bill after the eating is done.
The mayor and young MLA like mentioned above are on the ground volunteering and helping citizens.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

I am surprised at the low traffic on this thread. India has gone from <10k cases/day just a couple of weeks ago to ~35k/cases per day and rising. Deaths have gone up from <300 per day to close to 700 now. MH, TN and DL have been consistently contributing over half the cases but now there is an alarming increase in cases in Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana. Finally common sense seems to have dawned upon the policy makers in Karnataka that they are allowing Coivd +ve cases to self-quarantine at home and only go to the hospital if they need medical assistance. The only silverlining if any is daily cases to CFR has dropped to below 2.

The center needs to come up with a strategy for MH asap. The MH government has failed miserably with absolutely no plan to help its citizens . If the center does step in then they have to make sure they let the people of MH know they are doing their best to help so the incompetent, corrupt, inept MH govt does not get one iota of credit.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

May need to add Assam to the list after flooding.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

Cases in Pune and PCMC are rising at alarming rate since last wk.. Even private hospitals in most peripheral areas are full..

People needing treatment for non covid illness are also suffering ..Ventilator shortage is a big problem... But bigger problem is availability of staff for nursing , cleaning and mantainence.. many hospitals are running at 50 to 60 percent capacity and this is major factor contributing to shortage of beds..

Recovery rate has improved.. It seems virulence has decreased to an extent.. Rapid diagnosis and increasing experience of dealing with covid has also improved outcome..

Those who recover , do complete recovery .. Long term organ damage does not appear to be a significant problem

Fabiflu is widely available now and at reduced rate.. It is helpful in early symptomatic pts from progressing to more severe disease.. many physicians are using it as alternative to HCQ in mild to moderate cases..
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Ambar wrote:I am surprised at the low traffic on this thread. India has gone from <10k cases/day just a couple of weeks ago to ~35k/cases per day and rising. Deaths have gone up from <300 per day to close to 700 now. MH, TN and DL have been consistently contributing over half the cases but now there is an alarming increase in cases in Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana. Finally common sense seems to have dawned upon the policy makers in Karnataka that they are allowing Coivd +ve cases to self-quarantine at home and only go to the hospital if they need medical assistance. The only silverlining if any is daily cases to CFR has dropped to below 2.

The center needs to come up with a strategy for MH asap. The MH government has failed miserably with absolutely no plan to help its citizens . If the center does step in then they have to make sure they let the people of MH know they are doing their best to help so the incompetent, corrupt, inept MH govt does not get one iota of credit.
Not saying that more shouldn't be done, but increased testing is also playing a role in this.
~19,000 +ve
~35,000 +ve
Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

Total cases have crossed over a million today & deaths 25602.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Sonugn wrote:Total cases have crossed over a million today & deaths 25602.
With 1.3 billion people, the numbers will be large no matter what. What is important is slowing down the rate of growth in infections and deaths. Delhi (and others) has halve the infections within two weeks.

The problem now is the spread to cities like Pune and even rural regions who hadn't gone through crucible yet. There has to be a way to package up what they are doing in Delhi and pass that strategy on to other places.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

In Delhi, Kejri is smart enough to know how to survive long time and when to handover the problem to someone else. So he did. In MH, UT wasn't that smart. At this point, UT knows that he's done so it's all about keep looting till the last second. So probably now it's all about MHA taking over. Of course, SC has been sitting quiet too instead of going on their suo moto stuff that they do and demand actions from govts.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

People who have been venturing out of their homes cautiously(masks, handrub etc) have contracted covid. Bed rest senior citizens have contracted it. What is the explanation for this? Airborne?

Hospitals are refusing to treat non-covid patients if they show mild flu symptoms. They are asking for covid tests.

Now there is a rumour floating around that the municipalities are intentionally giving +ve results to earn money. They keep these people in general ward for 3 days and then discharge them with a 1.5 lakh bill.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Cautiousness only reduces the possibility but doesn't eliminate it. Many things come into play from the quality of masks to ability to wear it to how congested area is. While hand sanitizer is useful for emergency situation, washing hands is better as one doesn't know the quality of sanitizer and proper application. I use gloves and use sanitizer on the gloves to reuse them. Less sanitizer is required and it rubs better. Then I leave gloves in plastic bag in sun for few days and keep rotating them. Less wastage. I am cautious but I know that I'm cutting corners every now and there and forgetting to not touch areas near eyes all the time. Following full regiment of staying decontaminated everyday is hard, time and resource consuming. For example, our laundry usage has increased many times. Multiple showers a day. We can afford it. But I'm sure that there are many who can't afford to see costs go up.

Aerosol cloud concerns and closed air system causing spread has been brought up as a concern. May be there's a possibility of particulate matters in the air carrying it where shadows block uv rays? All sorts of possibilities.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

nvishal wrote: Now there is a rumour floating around that the municipalities are intentionally giving +ve results to earn money. They keep these people in general ward for 3 days and then discharge them with a 1.5 lakh bill.
I had mentioned this in one of my earlier posts that someone i know personally was asked to get themselves tested because of contact and later they too tested positive . They were forced to quarantine for 2 weeks in a govt facility but throughout the 14 days zero medication was administered and there was no follow ups either, and at the end of the 14th day they were simply asked to go home. Now it could be the local authorities cooking up data to get the central funds or the typical government bureaucracy with confused policies where the care does not go beyond quarantining. Whatever it is, the situation in many states is now alarming, and it requires a thorough rethinking on how to contain this. Btw, i am fairly confident that the numbers out of middle-east is as fake as the paki numbers. Nearly 1 in 2 returning from GCC countries is now testing positive, but yet those countries are reporting deaths in single digits and cases in double digits.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Ambar wrote:
nvishal wrote: Now there is a rumour floating around that the municipalities are intentionally giving +ve results to earn money. They keep these people in general ward for 3 days and then discharge them with a 1.5 lakh bill.
I had mentioned this in one of my earlier posts that someone i know personally was asked to get themselves tested because of contact and later they too tested positive . They were forced to quarantine for 2 weeks in a govt facility but throughout the 14 days zero medication was administered and there was no follow ups either, and at the end of the 14th day they were simply asked to go home. Now it could be the local authorities cooking up data to get the central funds or the typical government bureaucracy with confused policies where the care does not go beyond quarantining. Whatever it is, the situation in many states is now alarming, and it requires a thorough rethinking on how to contain this. Btw, i am fairly confident that the numbers out of middle-east is as fake as the paki numbers. Nearly 1 in 2 returning from GCC countries is now testing positive, but yet those countries are reporting deaths in single digits and cases in double digits.
That is horrible in terms of efficiency and graft. Certainly do not want to be out of 1.5 lakh rupees so the babus can line their pockets. But the silverlining is that the actual situation is not as bad as the numbers? Since many people reported in the infected number are not actually sick but caught up in a scam?

It sounds terrible but this is re-assuring in a sense because it is so desi. People are still acting normal in spite of things :mrgreen:
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

^^
So, middle class and lower classes getting bankrupt in the process looks re-assuring to you?
1.5 lakhs in 3 days? In a govt. hospital?

I guess people have stopped sharing snippets from local media or have stopped floating videos of patients dying on roads, because hospitals wouldn't admit them without string pulling and bribing. Not just because of COVID19, but even ordinary patients are dying due to lack of healthcare.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Roy ji, you are right. It is horrible and callous to even say. But what I meant is that perhaps the numbers are worse than they look because of things like this. I am not saying that things are not bad. But the way things have come under control fairly quickly in some very hard hit places mean that India has a better grip on things than the numbers suggest.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

If it were just the case counts which were rising, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Unf-ly, deaths also seem to be rising. Close to 700 yesterday.

Case counts need to be presented together with testing and positive fraction numbers, else they're practically meaningless. Deaths seem to be a more objective figure. They could still be misattributed to COVID (hope that's what is going on), but seems less likely.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

There is a problem with the death counts.

With the widespread news of patients denied admission, because some are yet to be tested positive, because they don't know someone higher up to get a bed, because they cannot cough (pardon the pun) out that kind of cash.

Many of these patients are dying after a few days. And these deaths are not included in the count of official COVID19 induced death numbers.

Were those people positive in the first place (when they were turned away due to whatever reasons)?
Were those people infected when they were hopping hospitals in search of an admission there?

So, don't go by the official numbers.

Many state govt.s were covering up in March/April, I would not think that these bureaucrats and politicians have turned saints with rising death and infection numbers.

Keeping aside cooking of numbers and not counting out of hospital deaths, please also understand that while the MoHFW has lifted lock down, there are localised lock downs at locality/street/municipality/ward levels.

Real morbidity tendency of the population will be apparent when everything really opens up. Just wait for a month for the festival season to kick in.

What I really dislike (in this forum and elsewhere) is the claim that we are doing good, things are opening up, getting back to normal etc. etc.
It's not the case on the ground.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

My Sister-in-law had respiratory problems, similar to Covid-Symptoms. The procedure is pretty simple.

She got the doctor's letter, nearest sample collection center was Appollo. They sent one guy to collect the sample.

The guy came down to the apartment as a visitor. Changed into PPE kit inside, took the sample. After 48 hours, report was sent to email of the referred doc and SIL's email ID.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

SRoy wrote:There is a problem with the death counts.

With the widespread news of patients denied admission, because some are yet to be tested positive, because they don't know someone higher up to get a bed, because they cannot cough (pardon the pun) out that kind of cash.

What I really dislike (in this forum and elsewhere) is the claim that we are doing good, things are opening up, getting back to normal etc. etc.
It's not the case on the ground.
When you say "widespread news" and "on the ground", are you talking about Kolkata ? All of West Bengal ? Or do you have eyes and ears all over India ?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Should not there be criminal charges?
Man Takes Two Flights To Reach Kolkata Despite Knowing He Is Covid-19 Positive, Pulls Out Report After Landing
https://swarajyamag.com/insta/man-takes ... er-landing
A 34-year-old man managed to fly all the way from Delhi to Kolkata via Guwahati despite being Covid-19 positive and ultimately pulled out the report from his pocket to get admitted into institutional quarantine.

He was subsequently taken to a Covid-19 centre in Newtown. The authorities are now tracking down the passengers who had flown with him on the two flights as part of contact tracing measures.