Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Uttam
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Uttam »

Israel sees 60% drop in hospitalizations for age 60-plus 3 weeks after 1st shot
Full effects of Pfizer’s shots only kick in around a month after inoculation, but data from Israel shows there is a stark drop in infections even before that point
The decrease in hospital admissions is swift after vaccination, Maccabi suggests in its latest data, finding that hospitalizations start to fall sharply from Day 18 after people receive the first shot. Galia Rahav, head of infectious diseases at Israel’s largest hospital, Sheba Medical Center, described the data as “very important.”
By Day 23, which is 2 days after the second shot, there is a 60% drop in hospitalizations among vaccinated people aged 60-plus, Maccabi revealed after monitoring 50,777 patients. It compared their hospitalization rate at that point with their hospitalization rate soon after receiving the vaccine, using 7-day moving averages.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

nam wrote:Just found out that the official death toll in BD due to the Chinese virus is around 9K! Even if the numbers are understated, for a dense country like BD, hospitals should be overflowing.

Now I am starting to believe that the tropical temperature helps. Not in killing in the virus, but preventing people from staying together in closed space. The fact that people in India/BD are forced to keep their windows open and use fan due to warm temperature, means the virus is not easily transmitted. It is only during monsoon, when people are inside, which had the most effect. As we have seen in India.

In europe, due to closed space, heating during cold etc has caused the maximum transmission. Looks like the transmission behavior is exactly like a regular flu, but with dangerous consequences.

People don't end up in hospital for a regular flu, while this one does.

A reason, why Pak escaped major damages.

the numbers out of Pak are totally totally unreliable ..one of the reason ME countries have stopped visa for Pakis is because they are coming with fake covid -ve reports ..same case pakis going to china. however, what u r saying has some merit. the situation is quite bad in BD as per someone i know in Dhaka but things have tapered down no doubt.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

As happy as I am thinking about possible "herd immunity", or the fact that our environmental conditions make Indians less susceptible to COVID-19, I still don't think this is the time to lower our guards. Even if the vaccine is less effective than newer variants, or the number of new infections have come down to less than 20K, we should pursue vaccination aggressively.

The evidence of lack of effectiveness of vaccine to newer variants is still very limited. Here is a article today that suggest Moderna vaccine may still be effective against South African and UK variant. By continuing vaccination, we may avoid our hospitals getting overwhelmed. Look at what is happening in Brazil and South Africa. Death rates are rising. There is some evidence that the death rates may be rising because of lack of facilities such as O2 cylinders.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

this is where i think we will outshine everyone..we have few things working for us
1. huge production capabilities
2. already existing programs and mechanisms for vaccination
3. high population density all througout..
i am feeling quite optimistic ..
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ArjunPandit wrote:this is where i think we will outshine everyone..we have few things working for us
I heard Manipal hospital in B'lore only 50% volunteered for vaccination due to worry
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Fifth Delhi serosurvey-50% already have antibodies. R number is elastic, I expect it to drop rapidly. That is because of a negative feedback effect or a virtuous inhibition effect of viral transmission (assuming antibodies also contribute to lowered asymptomatic carriage and transmission).
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Pfizer wants India to order its COVID vaccine before taking regulatory process forward: Report
Pfizer Inc will pursue its request for India to approve its COVID-19 vaccine if the government commits to buying shots, the U.S. drugmaker told Reuters on Monday, even as global supplies tighten.

Pfizer was the first company to seek emergency-use authorisation (EUA) for a COVID-19 vaccine in India, but the government this month approved two much cheaper shots - one from Oxford University/AstraZeneca and another developed at home by Bharat Biotech with the Indian Council of Medical Research.

India's Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) says Pfizer officials failed to turn up to meetings after the company's application was made in early December. The regulator has also declined to accept the company's request for approval without a small local trial on the vaccine's safety and immunogenicity for Indians, Reuters has reported.

Last week, government officials in some EU countries said Pfizer had slashed in half deliveries to them, causing frustration and hampering vaccination drives.

Indian officials have had discussions with both Pfizer and its U.S. rival Moderna Inc about making their shots in India, given its large pharmaceutical capacity.

However, India, the world's biggest vaccine maker, says it is mainly relying on shots already approved or tested at home to run its massive immunisation campaign that began on Jan. 16.

Pfizer said its current focus was on distributing the vaccine around the world using manufacturing capacity in the United States and Europe.

"Once the pandemic supply phase is over and we enter a phase of regular supplies, Pfizer will evaluate all additional opportunities available," it said.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

vijayk wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:this is where i think we will outshine everyone..we have few things working for us
I heard Manipal hospital in B'lore only 50% volunteered for vaccination due to worry
that will wane away there is a herd mentality once few people find the vaccine fine then there will be hoardes
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

TKiran wrote:
Amber G. wrote: Allow me to answer it in simple /math terms.. Though *actual* values may differ (if one wants to be extremely accurate).. depending on the body/virus/which part of the body the virus is in etc... but for Corona virus and human body figures are approx:

To get rid of 90% of viruses (of CV type) at typical body at room temperature is about 15 days.
To get rid of 90% of viruses at low temperature (2C) is about 70 days.

(BTW if you start with 1,000,000,000 viruses and get rid of 90% of them, you will still have 100,000,000 viruses)
(These numbers can vary but you get the idea)
(Increase these times - simple e^(-xt) to estimate if you want to get 99% of the viruses)
Respected Amber G ma'am,

Are you saying that when the Host (mostly lungs, and some other kapha type of organs of a human body) which is dead, meaning no more Prana {yoga terminology}, or Apana or vyana or Samana or Udaana, can still keep a virus intact for 70 days? its unbelievable, if true. But I believe you, as all I know is that the Virus can't get replicated, but the existing full fledged virus is in tact.

The next question is, "is the dead body infectious?" For the virus to be infectious, the virus should be able to move to atleast the skin of the dead body. How can it move?

This is my last question, I will not ask any more questions.

Regards

Short answer is yes
It is not a mystery or require expert opinion. One can read existing studies or even do a new study by measuring what one wants to measure. (no expert knowledge of DNA etc needed just do an experiment and measure etc. This is fairly well known part.)

(Yes things depend on temperature, external factors and many other factors but it does not change the basic results or recommendation on how one should manage the dead bodies. The viral load - may be around 10^9 (1 billion viruses) in a covid lung -- but it can vary by a factor of around few hundred millions depending on case. The important part is the result fits quite nicely with established mathematical models - which are similar for radioactive decay or virus number decay ).

In any case, I just checked, WHO guidelines (which I believe is not too different from other guidelines) they recommend usual PPE / shield / masks / Hand washing/ disinfecting surfaces even handling bodies which are even weeks old.
Hope this helps.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Moderna has announced that it will have booster shots effective for B117 and SouthAfrican strain soon.
(For mRNA (and also AstraZeneca type(s) ) type(s) one can actually develop effective booster shots fairly quickly)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

This is good news --
But Among scientists, Israel is extremely worried and taking precautions (like a virtual lockdown type restrictions) -- in spite of having 25% of its population vaccinated. This is due to the fact that they are extremely worried about the new B117 strain.

(The learning is pay attention to scientists - and look at scientific data/modeling - hospitalization etc may drop now but if one dose not control the new serious variant, things may start looking bad after 3-4 weeks)
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

AZ is getting belted by EU for informing them their supplies will be reduced by 60% for Q1! After the failure of French vaccines, looks like EU is under pressure with Pfizer and hasn't approved OxAZ vaccine yet.

Matter of time, there is a knock on SII's doors.

German media is hitting at the French and smearing OxAZ vaccine that it is not effective for over 80! Trying to provide cover to Biontech.. lot of hungama in EU over vaccines..
Last edited by nam on 26 Jan 2021 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Is Covaxin proven effective? Why are they not administering covaxin in India?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

It is being used without the recipient having a choice of vaccines.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Some good/bad but important breaking news items:

==> The Moderna COVID19 vaccine fully protected against the UK B117 variant... but was 6x less efficient at neutralizing the South African B1351 variant in lab test. Moderna is testing a newly synthesized booster for it—3rd shot.
( To be clear (in simple terms for aam janta) —6x less efficient doesn’t mean no protection against B11351, it’s still good but not as good as before. As a precaution, Moderna announced it will launch two new studies—including adding a third shot of its current vaccine to boost its two-dose regimen.)
Press release:
https://investors.modernatx.com/news-re ... ty-against
6-fold reduction in neutralizing titers was observed with B.1.351 variant relative to prior variants. Despite this reduction, neutralizing titer levels w/ B.1.351 remain above levels expected to be protective
(So happens most of us in our family have gotten Moderna - and would be interested in timing/recommendation of the booster shot in needed etc).

==> (BREAKING) —First U.S. case of highly transmissible Brazil coronavirus variant identified of the so-called #P1 variant—involves “a Minnesota resident with recent travel to Brazil”. It was detected through random surveillance of blood samples.

Wish there were much more monitoring of gene sequencing and monitoring of these variants, here in USA, so right steps can be taken in time.
BTW: The Brazil variant was also recently found in Japan from Brazil travelers.

(FYI: From reports: Brazil variation (B.1.1.248) has both the more infectious N501Y mutation (not affect vaccine), as well as the bad E484K mutation that seem to escapes neutralizing antibodies)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cyrano wrote:he cumulative effect of the factors above + lower hygiene standards leading to higher base immunity levels
Lower hygiene standards where? In India or Europe/US?
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

V_Raman wrote:Is Covaxin proven effective? Why are they not administering covaxin in India?
Covaxin is based on traditional reliable technology. Theoretically, it can be effective against mutations.

Ph 1&2 was good enough for safety
Efficacy will be based on Ph 3 data, which is scheduled to conclude in Feb. Traditionally, such types(whole inactivated virus) have 80%+ efficacy.

Efficacy is different for different population segments. Sinovac, which got 50% in brazil, claims it was low because all participants were frontline workers who have constant exposure to covid19(I think it is called "viral load").
Last edited by nvishal on 26 Jan 2021 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

I get this gut feeling that Covaxin will come to the rescue in the end with all the mutations...
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Studies of current vaccine effects on mutations will take time. But Indian govt was aware of the issues posed by mutations since the approvals.

Eventually, oxford vac might be phased out and covaxin will take centre stage in India. But not until the Ph 3 reports are out because the usual media gossip has had a negative effect on public.

Edit: there is another issue. Front line workers already administered with oxford jab will be restricted from taking covaxin. By the time mutations hit India on a large basis, some workers will likely get infected.
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

nvishal wrote:
V_Raman wrote:Is Covaxin proven effective? Why are they not administering covaxin in India?
Covaxin is based on traditional reliable technology. Theoretically, it can be effective against mutations.

Ph 1&2 was good enough for safety
Efficacy will be based on Ph 3 data, which is scheduled to conclude in Feb. Traditionally, such types(whole inactivated virus) have 80%+ efficacy.

Efficacy is different for different population segments. Sinovac, which got 50% in brazil, claims it was low because all participants were frontline workers who have constant exposure to covid19(I think it is called "viral load").

I think the Sinovac vaccine you're talking about, CoronaVac, is also an inactivated virus vaccine.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Covaxin is being administered on large scale in India. Reports indicate that Covaxin induced anti bodies shall last 6-12 months.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

4 lalkhs on on 25th
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Some more evidence in support of speeding up vaccination:

In week after 2nd Pfizer vaccine shot, only 20 of 128,000 Israelis get COVID
The world’s first analysis of fully vaccinated patients has indicated that the Pfizer vaccine is at least as effective as suggested by clinical trials.

Israel’s Maccabi Healthcare Services revealed Monday that only 0.015 percent of people are getting infected in the week after receiving their second shot.

Maccabi said it has 128,600 members who have seen seven days pass since full vaccine protection kicked in — and only 20 have caught the coronavirus after they were considered immunized.
Leading immunologist Cyrille Cohen told The Times of Israel that among the general population, around 0.65% are infected in a given week.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

nam wrote:AZ is getting belted by EU for informing them their supplies will be reduced by 60% for Q1! After the failure of French vaccines, looks like EU is under pressure with Pfizer and hasn't approved OxAZ vaccine yet.

Matter of time, there is a knock on SII's doors.

German media is hitting at the French and smearing OxAZ vaccine that it is not effective for over 80! Trying to provide cover to Biontech.. lot of hungama in EU over vaccines..
Basically there is a huge cock-up at the EMA (European Medicines Agency) which used to be based in London but moved to somewhere in the Netherlands (Amsterdam I think) in Sept 2019 as the EU withdrew their agencies from the UK. Many of the British staff did not transfer with the office and the EU have been slow to replace them.

The EMA is the body responsible for approving new medicines and also for ordering them for all 27 countries of the EU. As always Germany and France have their axes to grind though the decisions are supposed to be non political. They were slow to approve and order their vaccines and are thus on low on the vendor's supply lists. For example, the UK placed an order for 40 million doses with Pfizer/BionTech in Sept 2020 and shortly after an order for 100 million doses of Astra/Oxford vaccines. There is also a smaller order for the Moderna vaccine. Between them, this should cover the entire UK population with some to spare.

The Eu delayed placing any orders until Sanofi announced their vaccine had failed ph3 trials. Then they ordered the Pfizer and some 300 million doses of AZ/Ox. I am not sure if they ordered any Moderna vaccine. At the time of writing the EMA has only approved the Pfizer vaccine.

Both Pfizer and Az/Ox have production facilities in Belgium which are intended to supply the EU but both factories have been hit by problems in expanding production. AZ have stated that their delay is due to a subcontractor in France not being able to ramp up supply of a key ingredient. The UK supply of Az is from a factory in N. Wales operated by Wockhardt (I believe an Indian company) which is in an area hit by floods recently, but the gov provided support to ensure e that the factory was not stopped. Pfizer supply the UK from Belgium and this supply is threatened by their production difficulties and by EU politics.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Here is very informative interview of Astrazeneca's CEO:

Pascal Soriot: "There are a lot of emotions on vaccines in EU. But it's complicated"

On delay in production
[*]Essentially, we have cell cultures, big batches, 1000-litre or 2000-litre batches. We have cell cultures inside those batches and we inject them with the virus, the vaccine, if you will. Then those cells produce the vaccine, it’s a biotechnology protection. Now, some of those batches have very high yield and others have low yield.

[*]the yield varies from one to three, by the factor of three.

[*]we basically signed an agreement with the UK three months before we did have it with Europe

[*]The suggestion we sell to other countries to make more money is not right because we make no profit everywhere.That's the approach we took and we agreed on that. That’s the agreement we have with Oxford University. It's actually even written in a contract we have with Oxford University: that we will be at no profit.

[*]But in April last year, everybody was saying “it's impossible to do a vaccine by the end of the 2020”, or “you're going too fast” or “you're cutting corners”, “you can't do it”, eccetera. Now everybody is saying “you’re too slow”, while before we were “too fast”.

On Efficacy for elderly
[*]“The issue with the elderly data is not so much whether it works or not. It´s that we have today a limited amount of data in the older population. You have to think that the program we have today was run by Oxford, it was the Oxford program. And Oxford is an academy group. They´re very ethical, and very academic. So they didn´t want to vaccinate older people until they had accumulated a lot of safety data in the 18 to 55 group. They said it was not ethical to vaccinate old people until they had enough safety data in younger people. Other companies took their risk and went ahead and vaccinated older people faster or earlier. If you start earlier, you have more data. Essentially, because Oxford started vaccinating older people later, we don´t have a huge number of older people that had been vaccinated. So that´s what the debate is. But we have strong data showing very strong antibody production against the virus in the elderly, similar to what we see in younger people. It´s possible that some countries, out of caution, will use our vaccine for the younger group. But honestly, it is fine. There’s not enough vaccines for everybody. So if they want to use another vaccine for older people and our vaccine for younger people, what´s the problem? It’s not a problem. We´re trying to deal with this crisis together. If you add up our capacity, plus the Pfizer capacity, plus the Moderna capacity, there’s not enough in the world. There´s not enough for the entire world. I personally think that the group of people who are between 50 and 70 are an important group to protect. If you are 50, 60, you need to be protected. Many people may have hypertension, overweight, you need to protect them. And the younger people, at some point, we need to protect them also. So, even though no country has done so so far, it’s possible that some countries will say: we will not use the AZ vaccine in older people until we have the US data confirming that it is indeed to be used in older people. Different groups or countries will take different approaches. The UK said: we believe it works in older people, we’re going to use it in older people”.

About using one-dose
[*]“I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. I cannot comment about the Pfizer vaccine, whose studies are for a three-week interval. In our case, the trial we're talking about was conducted by Oxford University. We AZ are conducting the US trial, which we think is going to be ready very soon. Oxford University conducted the so-called Oxford trial in UK and Brazil, and we have data for patients who received the vaccine in one-month interval, 2 or 3 months interval. First of all, we believe that the efficacy of one dose is sufficient: 100 percent protection against severe disease and hospitalisation, and 71-73 percent of efficacy overall. The second dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later than earlier. We are going to do a study in the US and globally to use two-month dose interval to confirm that this is indeed the case, there are many reasons to believe it is the case with our vaccine. We have a different technology. First of all, when you look at level of antibody production, this is higher if you give the second dose three months or two months later, than one month later. And also, if you look at Ebola, its vaccine, which is also using the Adenoviral vector like the Covid one, the second dose needs to be given eight weeks later. Finally, the J&J vaccine with Adenoviral vector also are performing studies on a two-month interval. And J&J has the same technology as ours. Therefore, for our vaccine, there is no doubt in my mind that the way the UK is going is the best way, because right now you have a limited amount of vaccine, but also you have a limited number of doctors and nurses able to inject people. So you maximize the number of people who get one dose. You give them enough protection for two or three months, then you give them the second dose after 3 months. By March, the UK will have vaccinated maybe 28 or 30 million people. The Prime Minister has a goal to vaccinate 15 million people by mid-February, and they're already at 6,5 million. So they will get there".
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Folks: While many countries in Europe are making N95 type masks mandatory, here in USA - this is being recommended quite seriously. This is mainly, as I have said before, is the new strain is much more contagious...
Here is WPost headline:

Everyone should be wearing N95 masks now

At present the N95 masks are available (in Costco etc) but it may start getting sold out soon... If your work makes you go out in contact with other people, please invest and get some good masks.
(N95, KN95, FFFP2 etc..)
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

New study of covaxins effect on new variants gave positive results

https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.01.26.426986
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Cyrano wrote:he cumulative effect of the factors above + lower hygiene standards leading to higher base immunity levels
Lower hygiene standards where? In India or Europe/US?
In India.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

Amber G. wrote:Folks: While many countries in Europe are making N95 type masks mandatory
At least in Finland and other Nordic countries. Mask is recommended in public transportation and indoors. However, wearing a mask is not mandatory or enforced. it's only a recommendation. Most people wear in buses and usually it is surgical mask or cloth mask. N95 is available scarcely and is quite expensive for general public to use daily. I am using FFp2 masks made in China. it's little better than surgical mask. Also, wearing N95 for more than a hour might be challenging for some people as it is difficult top breathe in. Even our medical staff wears surgical mask or no mask at all.

There is of course separation of hospital units for corona patients, When we enter hospital they take our temperature reading. If you have cough and corona symptoms, you are first asked to get corona test or go to corona dedicated hospital.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Brazil's private sector has concluded negotiations with Bharat biotech
oantagonista.com/brasil/clinicas-privadas-tem-acordo-para-5-milhoes-de-doses-de-vacina-indiana/amp/
Valor Econômico reports that the Brazilian Association of Vaccine Clinics (ABCVAC) and the importer Precis Medicamentos have concluded negotiations for the purchase of 5 million doses of the Covaxin vaccine, from the Indian pharmaceutical Bharat Biontech.
No trackback link posted. Use goo gal trans late

Brazil with a population of 200 million has had problems securing vaccines. It relied on HCQ till the very end.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

the hans seem to have run into serious difficulties in pushing their product sinovac, their homebrew covid vaccine.

kanada has backed out and even the beedis have recently refused it. :mrgreen:
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Do not listen to the propaganda on twitter.

Sinovac has been the most popular vaccine outside the developed world so far. The western lobby will try to discourage both indian and chinese vaccines. You have already seen it happen with covaxin. The Chinese too have faced the vaccine propaganda war but diplomatic negotiations seems to have helped negate some fears. Sinovac orders have been ~200m doses till now.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"Sinovac has been the most popular vaccine outside the developed world so far. The western lobby will try to discourage both indian and chinese vaccines"

India has donated vaccines to several countries. "Vaccine maitri". Show does some contrast between Indian and Chinese approach and behaviour.

https://www.wionews.com/videos/gravitas ... tri-358857
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.timesnownews.com/health/art ... udy/712483
Covaxin produces antibody response against new COVID strain found in UK, says ICMR study
Amidst concerns of the spread of the new COVID strain found in the UK, the Indian Council of Medical Research, which is the apex medical research institute in India, has said that as per a study conducted by them, Covaxin shows a comparable neutralization activity of the vaccinated individuals against the UK strain of the novel coronavirus. Covaxin is India's home-grown COVID-19 vaccine produced by Bharat Biotech, in collaboration with ICMR's National Institute of Virology, Pune.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Uttam wrote:Here is very informative interview of Astrazeneca's CEO:

Pascal Soriot: "There are a lot of emotions on vaccines in EU. But it's complicated"

On delay in production
[*]Essentially, we have cell cultures, big batches, 1000-litre or 2000-litre batches. We have cell cultures inside those batches and we inject them with the virus, the vaccine, if you will. Then those cells produce the vaccine, it’s a biotechnology protection. Now, some of those batches have very high yield and others have low yield.
That was very useful. It should be mentioned that M. Soriot is a French citizen heading an Anglo-Swedish company. AZ is being threatened with litigation by Italy hence the statement to the Italian newspaper. Also note his statement of not for profit, the clause in the contract with Oxford says not for profit during the current pandemic. If there is a subsequent outbreak AZ (and SII) will be able to hike their prices if their vaccines are still effective.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nvishal wrote:Do not listen to the propaganda on twitter.

Sinovac has been the most popular vaccine outside the developed world so far. The western lobby will try to discourage both indian and chinese vaccines. You have already seen it happen with covaxin. The Chinese too have faced the vaccine propaganda war but diplomatic negotiations seems to have helped negate some fears. Sinovac orders have been ~200m doses till now.
sinovac has returned a general efficacy figure of 50.38% which is just 0.38 above the approved 50% needed to use the vaccine

It may be that the chinese themselves may not be using it for their own elites

it's not twitter propaganda.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Think this efficacy rating needs to be clarified. Sinovac also claims that the vaccine has a 100% success rate in preventing hospitalization. Now, if I was using my own money, I'd be happy to take such a vaccine in the absence of any other alternatives. Governments with epidemiological aims may want something that prevents spread more effectively than just a reduction in hospitalization.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

sampat wrote:
Amber G. wrote:Folks: While many countries in Europe are making N95 type masks mandatory
At least in Finland and other Nordic countries. Mask is recommended in public transportation and indoors. However, wearing a mask is not mandatory or enforced. it's only a recommendation. Most people wear in buses and usually it is surgical mask or cloth mask. N95 is available scarcely and is quite expensive for general public to use daily. I am using FFp2 masks made in China. it's little better than surgical mask. Also, wearing N95 for more than a hour might be challenging for some people as it is difficult top breathe in. Even our medical staff wears surgical mask or no mask at all.

There is of course separation of hospital units for corona patients, When we enter hospital they take our temperature reading. If you have cough and corona symptoms, you are first asked to get corona test or go to corona dedicated hospital.
Thx - Of course, one has to take all things into account -- Point was the new strain is so worry-some that many countries are changing (enhancing) the practice and type of masks to be worn. At one time, in US even surgical masks were "reserved" for hospitals and recommendation was cloth masks for aam janta. (Heck I know even doctors here in US in early days could not get enough PPE's).. My post was a "heads-up" that that thinking is changing.

France, Germany (and now Austria etc) are making (or have made) N95/FFP2 type masks mandatory as the new strain spreads ..Quite a few countries are starting to distributing it free (as one rides in public transport etc)..

UK's health minister (right now), USA's health authorities (like Fauci and new admin) are now highly recommending these masks now. (Most main stream media started covering this now).

For India Swasa masks (N95 kind are not too expensive) are widely available and I know they are extremely good. (I have used amazon.in to send it to people in India).

(As said before some new strains are extremely contagious - including some local (eg one id'ed in Ohio) have a very high R factor .. Please stay safe.

A good resource is https://www.projectn95.org/
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

So far no run on masks in US. One can also look at nanomaterial ones like filti in US.