Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by vera_k »

sudeepj wrote:Push out the second dose further just like UK did and get it in the arms of more and more people.
Second doses have already been pushed out. People I know who got vaccinated on the first day that 60+ were eligible had previously scheduled appointments cancelled with the message saying that they would be automatically scheduled for a later date at the same site.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

I got covid and recovered.. age 56..no symptoms except a bit of running nose ...got tested for travel reasons ..came as a surprise ...was given ivermectin ...zinc ..vit c .. 5 days. Oxygen levels in high 90s always. Yesterday vax no 3.6 M
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

April 2 also crossed 3 million . Successive days of over 3M performance . Total 73 million.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AkshaySG wrote:
Karan M wrote:Kindly do better research before posting. Furthermore, because of the standards we maintain on being relatively serious, people quote data from here without doing any secondary checks. If you post incorrect info it has 2nd and 3rd order effects in influencing opinion.

BB conducted Phase 3 trials and the interim data, suitable for the regulators was provided to them.
Link

Just because other vaccines had issues does not mean that BB deserves the same criticism. That's a pretty illogical line of argumentation to take. If BB is not satisfied with Brazils claims and if the arguments they make are not "good faith", BB should just withdraw its vaccine from the Brazil market.

India has huge needs itself and BB's production can be used well here.
cleared the better it is
You need to look at the dates, The Phase 3 wasn't started before BB had gotten authorisation to be used and it wasn't finished before BB and PM signed their deal.
So what? The authorization in India was given under emergency procedures with the awareness that Phase 1/2 had shown good immune response boding well for the Phase 3 trials that would follow. If the Brazilians did likewise they should have known what's up. If they didn't, its their fault.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 3LWSVMyI4e

Their own agreement clearly states that private supply in Brazil is based on obtaining a certificate from ANVISA and that they plan and had planned to do so from the start and will continue to work with them on it, Which is why they're not worried about the fate of the deal already signed... Not sure how that seems "self contradictory" to many

What's illogical is going up in arms over a complicated procedure of global vaccine laws and regulations where every country has their own import laws and standards as is getting unnecessarily defensive or argumentative over procedural and paperwork issues which every major drug producer faces.
All this pre-supposes good faith and the country in question isnt applying its rules and regulations to its own benefit for either securing IP, or scoring domestic political goals against its own establishment. Especially given their near worthless results with the PRC vaccine and the whole controversy about it. If they can't apply the same standards to all, and are busy playing propaganda, then there is only so much any manufacturer can do. BB has a huge market in India itself.

All this has been explained to you several times. At this point, what you are doing is trolling. See you after a week.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

manjgu wrote:I got covid and recovered.. age 56..no symptoms except a bit of running nose ...got tested for travel reasons ..came as a surprise ...was given ivermectin ...zinc ..vit c .. 5 days. Oxygen levels in high 90s always. Yesterday vax no 3.6 M
Congratulations.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

nachiket wrote:
Ambar wrote:Total fatalities is 711 but there is a lag in the site where numbers from NE states don't get updated. 481 out of 711 are from one state alone, Maharashtra.
I lost a relative in Mumbai in the current wave. Symptoms started with simple cold/cough which remained for some time. He didn't even get a covid test initially because the symptoms were so minor. By the time he did and was hospitalized, the Oxygen sat. was already down to around 60%. Required a ventilator immediately and was given plasma infusions as well but nothing worked.

One thing everyone should do in my opinion is buy a reliable Pulse oximeter and keep checking their blood oxygen saturation periodically. Even if you have no symptoms. This disease can be a silent killer. People often do not feel much discomfort right up until the O2 sat. drops to dangerous levels after which even if you get medical help it can be too late.
Really scary to hear this and my deepest condolences. So did the PO results drop suddenly?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

4.2 million on April 2
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

vijayk wrote:4.2 million on April 2
Great!
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

SpO2 meter is a good basic everyday check. Fever isn't always there.

What I'm trying to figure out is how does one get effective screening for blood clots. I'm hoping that there are groups out there working on this to screen previously infected people. Are infected people being put on some sort of blood thinner after leaving the hospital? This thing is real chinese and can't be trusted even after leaving the hospital.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Anti-coagulation drugs are part of the standard treatment protocol for treating most severely ill covid patients in India, the most common blood thinning drug used in Indian hospitals is Warfarin. As for Sp02, it should be mandatory in every household, but there will always be the worry of silent hypoxia. It can be 99 in the afternoon and drop to 80 within hours as was the case with my father, i read somewhere that even in case of Donald Trump his o2 levels dropped so rapidly that they contemplated putting him on ventilator at some point. I hope someday karma catches up with China for what its done to the world.
Nsmith
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nsmith »

Checking in from Chhattisgarh. Things are pretty bad here. the actual numbers are at least 10x of what is being officially reported. I am currently in one of the worst affected districts - we're going into lockdown starting tomorrow for 8 days, but I suspect that will not be enough to break the chain.

Personally, me, my pregnant wife and my mother have been down with fever, weakness and sore throat since yesterday morning. Our samples were collected yesterday (friday evening) but results will only come out tomorrow (sunday evening)! That is because the state only has a capacity to run 6000 RT-PCR tests / day, so a lot of samples are being sent to Delhi/ Mumbai for testing nowadays given the surge.

My fever's running up to 102.6-102.8 F and after paracetamol it hovers around ~100 F. We're all measuring our O2 levels and they're above 96% for now for all of us. Apparently if the report is positive someone from the local administration will call us to explain next steps - and prescribe meds as per latest treatment protocols. I'm just hoping we can overcome this by home isolation. I don't want any of us to be hospitalized.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Nsmith,

Get better! Take care of your wife and mom. Which district are you in that is so bad? CH is fairly remote with lots of beautiful forests.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

It seems the Chinese are playing with numbers again, but they may actually be vaccinating.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Sincere best wishes to you NSmithji. I hope you and family recover quickly on your own.

I hope you have someone giving you food and other essentials.
Nsmith
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nsmith »

Thanks Mort-ji and Tanaji-ji! I'm in Bhilai (Durg district). Its right next to Raipur and mostly urban, which still does not explain why we're one of the worst affected districts in the country. My dad and younger brother don't have any symptoms for now (plus dad has had the first dose of the vaccine, so that should also help) - so they're taking care of stuff. Its a big enough house that we can isolate ourselves adequately.

Anecdotally speaking, this Covid fever is unlike any other viral infections I've ever had. Sucks out a *lot* of energy from the body. Not to be taken lightly!
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Nsmith,

You'll be fine, but please take medicines as prescribed. I do find it disturbing from your anecdotal information the situation is 10x as bad, but I don't suspect state officials to be providing false information. Anecdotally speaking, my wife is from Ambikapur (Sarguja district) and from her extended WhatsApp group the reports don't seem to be as bad as Durg district.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

Nsmith wrote:Checking in from Chhattisgarh. Things are pretty bad here. the actual numbers are at least 10x of what is being officially reported. I am currently in one of the worst affected districts - we're going into lockdown starting tomorrow for 8 days, but I suspect that will not be enough to break the chain.

Personally, me, my pregnant wife and my mother have been down with fever, weakness and sore throat since yesterday morning. Our samples were collected yesterday (friday evening) but results will only come out tomorrow (sunday evening)! That is because the state only has a capacity to run 6000 RT-PCR tests / day, so a lot of samples are being sent to Delhi/ Mumbai for testing nowadays given the surge.

My fever's running up to 102.6-102.8 F and after paracetamol it hovers around ~100 F. We're all measuring our O2 levels and they're above 96% for now for all of us. Apparently if the report is positive someone from the local administration will call us to explain next steps - and prescribe meds as per latest treatment protocols. I'm just hoping we can overcome this by home isolation. I don't want any of us to be hospitalized.
start taking zinc 2 times a day 50 mg ... vital c .without delay . Delhi govt hospitals are prescribing ivermectin ...paracetamol...sit in the sun at least for 30 min..
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Here is another figure indicating how many have gotten at least a single dose. India is ahead of the EU.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Nsmith wrote:Checking in from Chhattisgarh. Things are pretty bad here. the actual numbers are at least 10x of what is being officially reported. I am currently in one of the worst affected districts - we're going into lockdown starting tomorrow for 8 days, but I suspect that will not be enough to break the chain.

I am sure I am many years older than you. My Aashirwad to you and other members of your family who are going through a tough time on health that you recover soon. God bless you all.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

We have to remember that being a remote place is a dual edge sword. While it allows locals to keep enemy away in easier manner, but once enemy arrives then it's an unprepared event.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

As of 8:00pm today, 13 lakh people were vaccinated as per MoHFW
https://twitter.com/MoHFW_INDIA/status/ ... 9311837191

https://pib.gov.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1709392
The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 7.44 Crore today.

A total of 7,44,42,267 vaccine doses have been given, as per the provisional report till 8 pm today.

Total 13,00,146 vaccine doses were given till 8 pm today, the Seventy Eighth day of nationwide COVID19 vaccination. Out of which 11,86,621 beneficiaries were vaccinated for 1st dose and 1,13,525 beneficiaries received 2nd dose of the vaccine as per the provisional report. Final reports would be completed for the day by late tonight.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Should cross over 3 million for April 3rd.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

900 cases in one college MIT in Manipal. :roll:

As I constantly mentioned in this thread, the second wave was caused by opening of school and colleges.

This is confirming my theory.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I still don't get why schools & colleges need to be opened now...at least in urban areas, I believe online classes model was just working fine (used to drive parents nuts though...with kids needing constant attention or something to keep them distracted)...also I think 50% attendance or staggering should be encouraged at offices where WFH is not possible.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

Nsmith,

You will get better. i and my whole family got infected 3 months ago and recovered in two weeks. keep drinking fluids and checking your O2
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Nsmith-ji, sorry to hear that, hope you and your family pull through this soon. Stay positive, as that's the biggest challenge with isolation.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

On a personal note: I received my second dose of Moderna vaccine on April 1, I am sick since April 2, with flu like symptoms. The gentleman who administered my vaccine had told me that as per his experience, I would become sick for 2-3 days and then get better. Hoping for the best.
Gautam
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

g.sarkar,

My wife got Moderna and she too have flu like symptoms for 3 days after her 2nd dose. You will get better. No worries, you're safe.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Best wishes to Nsmith and family for speedy recovery.

Remembering from the 70's - Bhilai had a very good hospital for SAIL employees. Hopefully the meical facilities there are still at par with the metro cities.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Zynda wrote:I still don't get why schools & colleges need to be opened now...at least in urban areas, I believe online classes model was just working fine (used to drive parents nuts though...with kids needing constant attention or something to keep them distracted)...also I think 50% attendance or staggering should be encouraged at offices where WFH is not possible.
The lockdown was adversely impacting education as the covid numbers were declining. Some of this was going to happen, but the hardest hit seems to be MH. Schools and colleges may go back to remote yet again. However, I think exams will be given in person.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Karan M wrote: Really scary to hear this and my deepest condolences. So did the PO results drop suddenly?
He didn't have one at home from what I know. SpO2 level was checked only after he was hospitalized. It was already too low by then. I have heard of other such cases where things went downhill very quickly from mild to moderate symptoms to requiring a ventilator.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

g.sarkar wrote:On a personal note: I received my second dose of Moderna vaccine on April 1, I am sick since April 2, with flu like symptoms. The gentleman who administered my vaccine had told me that as per his experience, I would become sick for 2-3 days and then get better. Hoping for the best.
Gautam
I took Moderna too. Had moderate body aches for two days after the second dose (only shoulders and wrists - strange reaction and not at all consistent these reactions). No fever.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Was reading that median age in India is around 26.5/27 years...I think GoI should have opened vaccination for age groups beyond 35 from April 1st itself. Unless we have some vaccine doses stock issue, 35+ would have helped spread the load even further instead of 45+...if they are planning on opening up to all age at around May, then the numbers will be quite huge all of sudden. Of course, good planning can help in efficient management...BTW, LA County thinks it can achieve herd immunity (80% vaccination rate) by around late July to early August...
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Stop fresh registrations of health care workers

This is not helpful when not all healthcare and frontline workers have been vaccinated. Every vaccination is useful, long as the shots are being used and not dumped down the drain.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

vijayk wrote:4.2 million on April 2
Now we are talking! Something to cheer in a while!
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Yesterday afternoon, I went to a big private hospital in Gachibowli area in Hyderabad and got vaccinated(covishield ). I was fine till night. Today early morning, I started feeling chills and fever. Also had a slight throbbing pain in the injection area once in a while, not too uncomfortable though. Took a paracetemol 500mg tablet and went back to sleep. Now again I am feeling a bit feverish and temperature is around 102deg. Oxymeter shows 93 in right index finger and 90 in the left one. Taking one more paracetamol and going back to bed. Hopefully I should get over in a day or two.

Same vaccine my aged parents and by sister/bro-in-law had taken in Karnataka and touch-wood, they are doing fine without any issues
amol
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amol »

SHQ & I took Covaxin exactly 1 week ago. Arm was sore for 3 days but otherwise had no issues. The place I took it at was a private hospital and the only guideline they seemed to be following was to restrict it to 45+ age group. Beyond that, anyone was allowed to come. This hospital gives Covishield in the morning and Covaxin in the afternoon and you need to call ahead and register, so they can estimate how many vials to bring in.

For Covaxin, they will wait until they get 20 people, then let them in for the jabs. So we had to wait for around 30 minutes as people slowly came in. Once the quorum was achieved, it was pure mayhem to get in line for the shot. No social distancing, half the people not bothering with masks and the hospital staff least bothered about it. Mercifully, the crowd was small, so the process was over in less than 5 mins.

On another note my FIL was detected positive about a week ago. About 2 weeks after they got their Covishield shot, MIL started getting low BP, no other issues. She felt better after 3-4 days, then FIL started getting low BP and cough and a little sore throat. But since they've effectively been in isolation for long and strictly following sanitisation protocols, we didn't suspect it would be COVID. Still, got them tested, MIL was negative, FIL came positive. Just a day before, his elder brother had passed away from COVID, so it came as quite a shock.

Then the fun started. The test results took 24 hours to arrive. Once they came positive, he was asked to go in for a CT scan. Based on the CT scan results, they asked him to do a blood test for figuring out 'D-Dimer' (sp??) values, which took another 24 hours. Only after THAT, was medication started, 48+ hours after the initial swab test! I can imagine people would get much worse while waiting for all the test results to come in. Based on my FIL's experience, I would recommend anyone who's getting the swab tests done (who's showing symptoms, of course) to also go in for a pre-emptive CT and blood test, just to cut short the time spent sitting and waiting. Thankfully FIL's back home from hospital and doing well.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Corona hitting children below 10 yrs and 11-20 bracket age group in large numbers is a serious concern.

With a disturbing increase in the number of cases in Maharashtra, the government should plan new norms and methods.

milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

putnanja wrote:Yesterday afternoon, I went to a big private hospital in Gachibowli area in Hyderabad and got vaccinated(covishield ). I was fine till night. Today early morning, I started feeling chills and fever. Also had a slight throbbing pain in the injection area once in a while, not too uncomfortable though. Took a paracetemol 500mg tablet and went back to sleep. Now again I am feeling a bit feverish and temperature is around 102deg. Oxymeter shows 93 in right index finger and 90 in the left one. Taking one more paracetamol and going back to bed. Hopefully I should get over in a day or two.

Same vaccine my aged parents and by sister/bro-in-law had taken in Karnataka and touch-wood, they are doing fine without any issues
Sir, maybe I'm wrong, but with my limited understanding of SPO2 levels, 90 is not great. Please consult a doctor.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

India’s Vaccination Drive crosses the landmark of 7.5 Crore doses administered across the country
More than 6.5 cr get the first Vaccine Dose whereas more than 1cr have received the 2nd Dose

Posted On: 04 APR 2021 11:19AM by PIB Delhi

The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country stands at 7,59,79,651 today (through 11,99,125sessions) as per the provisional report till 7 am.

These include 89,82,974 Health Care Workers (1st dose), 53,19,641 HCWs (2nd dose), 96,86,477 Front Line Workers (1st dose) and 40,97,510 FLWs (2nd Dose) and4,70,70,019 (1st Dose) and 8,23,030 (2nd dose) beneficiaries aged more than 45 years.

The cumulative vaccination figure includes over 6.5 crore (6,57,39,470) first doses, while the second dose numbers have crossed the 1 crore mark as well (1,02,40,181).

As on Day-78 of the vaccination drive (3rd April, 2021), 27,38,972 vaccine doses were given. Out of which, 24,80,031 beneficiaries were vaccinated for 1st dose and 2,58,941beneficiaries received their 2nd dose of vaccine.
2.7m is not bad for a Saturday.

Today is the first Sunday after the GoI asked for vaccination centers to be open all 7 days a week. Let us see if they can do over 2m doses today.