Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Kakkaji »

Russia authorises single-dose Sputnik Light COVID vaccine for use -RDIF
Russia has authorised the one-shot Sputnik Light version of its COVID-19 vaccine for use, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said on Thursday, a move that could help vaccine supplies go further in countries with high infection rates. Developed by Moscow's Gamaleya Institute, the slimmed-down vaccine, which the RDIF said is 79.4% effective against COVID-19 and costs under $10 a dose, has been earmarked for export and could increase the number of people with partial immunity.

One of its main potential uses is as a vaccine that can be shipped to a country in the grip of an acute outbreak which needs to be subdued quickly. "The single-dose Sputnik Light vaccine demonstrated 79.4% efficacy according to analysed data taken from 28 days after the injection was administered as part of Russia's mass vaccination programme between 5 December 2020 and 15 April 2021," the RDIF said in a statement. A Phase III clinical trial involving 7,000 people was under way in Russia, the United Arab Emirates, Ghana and other countries, the RDIF said.
Interim results are expected later this month. According to authorities, around 8 million Russians have so far been fully inoculated with the flagship two-dose Sputnik V, named after the Soviet-era satellite that triggered the space race in a nod to the project's geopolitical importance for Moscow. Russian scientists last month said Sputnik V was 97.6% effective against COVID-19 in a "real-world" assessment based on data from 3.8 million people.

"The single-dose regimen solves the challenge of immunizing large groups in a shorter time, which is especially important during the acute phase of the spread of coronavirus, achieving herd immunity faster," said RDIF head Kirill Dmitriev.

He added that the two-dose Sputnik V vaccine would remain the main source of vaccination in Russia, which has already authorised two other vaccines for use.
This could give competition to J&J, if Dr Reddy's can produce it quickly in India.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Dr. Reddy doesn’t produce any vaccines, they are merely the distributors.
Nalla Baalu
BRFite

Post by Nalla Baalu »

sohamn wrote:Dr. Reddy doesn’t produce any vaccines, they are merely the distributors.
They do manufacture generic drugs whose patents have expired.
Last edited by Nalla Baalu on 07 May 2021 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

S_Madhukar wrote:Did we have any regular COVID news bulletin on tv/radio etc like in the western countries while suspending regular programming ? So that the message was being hammered about precautions and all that the government is doing, and information on helplines and daily infection and death tolls etc. I think most people have access to TV or at least radio…
if this was not done then it is criminal from the I&B and health Ministry. Too much of a sab theek hai attitude..
what will these guys do in a war!
I think a big failure of our Covid management is the lack of communication with the public, at every level - be it PM, health minister/ Ministry
or CMs. Because of no official info, people get their info from whatsapp, or those with a vested interest. We have no idea of the status of
vaccines, no of tests done, availability of beds & oxygen, likelihood of lockdown etc.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Suraj wrote:The numbers this week remind me of early March. That's when >60 group began. Started slowly from the 450-500K per day they managed for the HCW/FLW group, but within three days it rose up to above 1 million and within the end of week it touched 1.5 million. That was the early sign of how much time the system takes to ramp up.

The current increase in vaccination since day 1 of the <45 vaccination is following a similar path, up almost one million per day from the rate on the first day.
So the distribution method changing from entirely the center to a combination of center and state has reset the rate of vaccination? Seems odd the rate has slowed. The center seems to be doing over 1.5M/day, but states are slow to ramp up.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Mort Walker wrote:
Suraj wrote:The numbers this week remind me of early March. That's when >60 group began. Started slowly from the 450-500K per day they managed for the HCW/FLW group, but within three days it rose up to above 1 million and within the end of week it touched 1.5 million. That was the early sign of how much time the system takes to ramp up.

The current increase in vaccination since day 1 of the <45 vaccination is following a similar path, up almost one million per day from the rate on the first day.
So the distribution method changing from entirely the center to a combination of center and state has reset the rate of vaccination? Seems odd the rate has slowed. The center seems to be doing over 1.5M/day, but states are slow to ramp up.
The center is not doing vaccinations directly (except maybe for central institutions) and wasn't earlier either. It was just supplying to the states. Now the states are on their own and are struggling to get stocks, as are private hospitals. The qty of vaccines being provided by center to states has gone down to 50% (remaining 50% is left up to states and private hospitals to somehow fight for). So effectively vaccination rate has been throttled, with it becoming a political football between center, states and various political parties. Would have been better if the center had continued to source all the vaccines for distribution to states and private players.

The other big mess is not reserving doses and slots for those that need their second dose. This may result in people being stuck with one dose and unable to take the second, which at the end of the day leads to vaccine wastage, and may leave people vulnerable.
Last edited by Bart S on 07 May 2021 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
VenkataS
BRFite

Post by VenkataS »

GOI has to start thinking long term in terms of vaccinations, plan for and release funds accordingly.

We need to vaccinate 1.4 billion citizens which means we need 3 billion vaccine doses (assuming some wastage and quality issues etc). Assuming those that were vaccinated in early 2021 and for protection against current and future variants most people need a booster shot within a year, we would need probably need an additional 1-2 billion doses. So total need for India alone over the next year is 4-5 billion vaccine doses.

GOI needs to place the following orders with various manufacturers now (for delivery before May 2022).
Serum Institute of India (Astra Zeneca and even Covaxin) - 2 Billion (will probably need to build another plant at a geographically different place in India as a hedge against natural disasters)
Bharat Biotech - 1 billion
Zydus Cadila - 0.5 billion
Sputnik and the rest 1.5 billion.

The collective manufacture of these vaccines must be in order of about 400 million per month when the production is fully ramped up.

Govt must pay for half of these supplies in the next 1 month and pay for the rest on a pro-rate basis (or whatever works best). This will enable vaccine manufactures to ramp up production significantly over the next few months. Also they must pay a fair price for each dose to these manufactures with the caveat that bulk ordering at the GOI scale will reduce the price a little bit. The burden of discounting the vaccines for the common man should fall on the government not on the private vaccine manufacturers.

It is OK if we generate more vaccines than we need over the next year. If all Indians are vaccinated or close to being vaccinated we can supply these to other countries afterwards.

We should couple this with other measures for at least until May 2022 or at least until 90+% of the whole population is vaccinated:
1. No elections of any kind.
2. No in person instruction in Schools/Universities.
3. No in person religious gatherings.
Last edited by VenkataS on 07 May 2021 08:03, edited 4 times in total.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I was gonna post something along this earlier...currently either you gotta be on Cowin and hit F5 constantly & instantly book as soon as you see an appointment opening around desired pin code or rely on bot. The latter is what many tech savvy folks are doing. Some are using bots to check out openings and putting that info out in the open but it seems like others are using bots to book appointments online.

Digital divide in India shows up again as techies game Co-WIN to book slots
Many software engineers are making use of public APIs to build tools that send instant alerts but this leaves behind several others who have no access to tech.
I guess people like me who aren't software (API/bots) savvy will have to wait till either all the tech savvy engineers take their 1st shot at least and/or appointments open up in many vaccination centers.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

...One of the points from Amber G's excellent post is the not enough gene sequencing of variants. Dumb question, what does it take to do a gene sequencing
Sorry for the confusion ..Point was we (scientists) did not have accurate data about how prevalent VoC (Like UK variant) were in Maharashtra and Punjab which spread much faster increasing the value of beta(contact parameter) in the model in the early part. (Testing in India in most cases did not detect the variant types - which could be done by looking at the RNA - and hence we did not know what percentage were infected with VoC) ..(Theoretical models can give much better (and earlier) value for transmissivity - if we know this value)

(For perspective, if one looks at the parameters beta jumped significantly higher (even higher than the pre-lockdown conditions in India before the first wave) - Things like careless of aam junta - not wearing masks, having crowds etc were bad enough - with new very highly infective variants there was a big change)
HTH.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Has anyone seen this video - kids packing swabs in the most unhygienic way. These things are supposed to be sterile, are they not? How can the results be accurate if this is the way they are doing it?
The kid appears to be sitting astride a sewer.
Link
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Mort Walker wrote:

I think the ramp up rate gives an idea of how quickly supplies can be distributed to support a new phase. The current rate is effectively 1.6m center plus 900k states per day. Center no longer takes 100% of procurement but only 50%. States have to independently arrange for their own stock. The latter is a lot less regular - Gujarat is fast out of the blocks but others haven’t even entered the stadium.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Amber G. wrote:
...One of the points from Amber G's excellent post is the not enough gene sequencing of variants. Dumb question, what does it take to do a gene sequencing
Sorry for the confusion ..Point was we (scientists) did not have accurate data about how prevalent VoC (Like UK variant) were in Maharashtra and Punjab which spread much faster increasing the value of beta(contact parameter) in the model in the early part. (Testing in India in most cases did not detect the variant types - which could be done by looking at the RNA - and hence we did not know what percentage were infected with VoC) ..(Theoretical models can give much better (and earlier) value for transmissivity - if we know this value)

(For perspective, if one looks at the parameters beta jumped significantly higher (even higher than the pre-lockdown conditions in India before the first wave) - Things like careless of aam junta - not wearing masks, having crowds etc were bad enough - with new very highly infective variants there was a big change)
HTH.
Sorry, but this model continues to be quite unreliable, for all the hype about it and attention paid to it in high places. There is frequent changes and moving of goalposts done citing 'phase shifts' including one today. There is limited use for it if it can't serve a predictive function with any accuracy, despite whatever excuses are made.

From the perspective of laypersons who were eagerly following it, it has been thoroughly discredited.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Suraj wrote: States have to independently arrange for their own stock. The latter is a lot less regular - Gujarat is fast out of the blocks but others haven’t even entered the stadium.
Plenty of other states were out of the blocks just as fast but there is simply not enough supply. That is the crux of the matter.

To make matters worse the center has said that the stocks supplied by it earlier cannot be used by the states for their own vaccination programs, even temporarily and bureaucrats have apparently crafted some complex and impractical process around returning unused vaccines.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind opening up the vaccination to everyone instead of prioritizing by risk factor (age and serious comorbidities)? I know that half the supply is still prioritized but why not all of it? I am looking for an explanation that is logical and scientific, not political.

The main arguments that I have heard for opening it to everyone make little sense:

Argument 1: By vaccinating younger people we can protect old people who mainly stay home
First of all, we still lack evidence on how well the vaccination prevents transmission. But, even if vaccination prevented 100% transmission, when you consider the age distribution in India, correlate it with mortality rate, and consider the expected vaccination supply for the next 3 months, it makes no sense to expend precious vaccination on a healthy 22 year old when we cannot meet the demand for 45+.

Argument 2: High vaccination hesitancy was prevalent amongst older generation.
Again, I would argue that vaccination supplies and logistics have been the biggest bottleneck. We have not reached anywhere close to the coverage for vaccine hesitancy to start making a serious impact.

Argument 3: Young people are also dying in this wave
Yes, that might very well be. But, age remains by far the biggest risk factor of a serious illness. Unfortunately, we don't have any recent data, but I am willing to bet that most of the deaths will be in 45+.

I was quite optimistic that we can vaccinate the 300-400 million people who are the biggest risk factor very quickly to avoid another serious wave. But, the current policy makes it that much slower.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

why are we scared to call it the double mutant strain of the chinese wuhan virus

It is ok to name covid variants “Brazilian variant”, “UK variant”, “S African variant” and now “Indian variant” - after country of origin.

But it’s politically incorrect to call the original covid-19 “Chinese virus”!

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

sohamn wrote:Dr. Reddy doesn’t produce any vaccines, they are merely the distributors.
They do plan to make Sputnik-V in India.

Dr Reddy’s Laboratories will start supplying Sputnik V vaccines imported from Russia in May and tap locally sourced jabs as their production ramps up in India, two people aware of the development said.
https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 70201.html
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Raja wrote:Can someone please explain to me the logic behind opening up the vaccination to everyone instead of prioritizing by risk factor (age and serious comorbidities)? I know that half the supply is still prioritized but why not all of it? I am looking for an explanation that is logical and scientific, not political.

Well in that case I am not sure you are going to get one. My understanding was that the vaccination policy adopted by GoI was based on WHO norms, was criticised for:

Too centralised: States wanted more say in who gets vaccinated and when. The claim was that since they are closer to ground, more control to them would be more effective

Freedom to source vaccines: States wanted more freedom to purchase vaccines

GoI then decided to grant them their wish, but kept to its own policy of 45+ vaccinations.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Tanaji wrote:
Raja wrote:Can someone please explain to me the logic behind opening up the vaccination to everyone instead of prioritizing by risk factor (age and serious comorbidities)? I know that half the supply is still prioritized but why not all of it? I am looking for an explanation that is logical and scientific, not political.

Well in that case I am not sure you are going to get one. My understanding was that the vaccination policy adopted by GoI was based on WHO norms, was criticised for:

Too centralised: States wanted more say in who gets vaccinated and when. The claim was that since they are closer to ground, more control to them would be more effective

GoI then decided to grant them their wish, but kept to its own policy of 45+ vaccinations.
Okay, but why are the state limited to 18-45? Why not let states set the age distribution however they want (e.g. > 18, or same as center 45+, etc.). Just because some states were criticizing the govt. (largely opposition states), we shouldn't throw away common sense.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Raja wrote:
Tanaji wrote:

Okay, but why are the state limited to 18-45? Why not let states set the age distribution however they want (e.g. > 18, or same as center 45+, etc.). Just because some states were criticizing the govt. (largely opposition states), we shouldn't throw away common sense.
Tanaji's post sums up my view too. Central Govt has covered the vulnerable population which was its stated objective from the beginning.
I think states have flexiblity on age group, but have no reason not to follow central guidelines. Under 18 cannot be vaccinated. There is no medical reason, or precedent, in any country to make the age group (for e.g. 30-45) instead of 18-45.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Zynda wrote:I was gonna post something along this earlier...currently either you gotta be on Cowin and hit F5 constantly & instantly book as soon as you see an appointment opening around desired pin code or rely on bot. The latter is what many tech savvy folks are doing. Some are using bots to check out openings and putting that info out in the open but it seems like others are using bots to book appointments online.

Many software engineers are making use of public APIs to build tools that send instant alerts but this leaves behind several others who have no access to tech.
I guess people like me who aren't software (API/bots) savvy will have to wait till either all the tech savvy engineers take their 1st shot at least and/or appointments open up in many vaccination centers.
I think this is misleading, since co win sends OTP- I doubt any body can book a slot so easily for you. What is happening most of it being fed offline by the hospitals themselves. Media is trying to put the blame of techies rather than corruption in the hospitals.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

It is completely misleading as it seems to imply that techies have created some sort of a black market where they are selling slots or they are spreading the information they get via APIs they use to some small clique. They gave made it quite public and created a webpage for everyone to use!
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Raja wrote:
It makes no sense for any state government to get into the 45+ market as Centre is paying for it and it is highly unlikely that states will get the Rs.150 rate for the vaccine as the state must procure the vaccine itself. It is a losing proposition for them.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

There are many people who would happily pay the money. Even before you had to pay when you go to the private hospitals as opposed to govt. run centers.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Aditya_V wrote:
Zynda wrote:I was gonna post something along this earlier...currently either you gotta be on Cowin and hit F5 constantly & instantly book as soon as you see an appointment opening around desired pin code or rely on bot. The latter is what many tech savvy folks are doing. Some are using bots to check out openings and putting that info out in the open but it seems like others are using bots to book appointments online.

I think this is misleading, since co win sends OTP- I doubt any body can book a slot so easily for you. What is happening most of it being fed offline by the hospitals themselves. Media is trying to put the blame of techies rather than corruption in the hospitals.
Isn't this somewhat similar to the case reported about a year back where a young techie created an interface or a mobile app to beat the tatkal reservation system on IRCTC website? What he did was to convert voice into text captcha which was built into the system to enable visibly challenged passengers to make railway reservations.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Deans wrote:
Central Govt has covered the vulnerable population which was its stated objective from the beginning.

No they haven't. They have callously and cruelly denied vaccines to vulnerable under 45 groups who need it the most, like those that are critically ill, despite repeated pleas by doctors and patient advocacy groups. Even the the latest directive opening up vaccines for the 18-44 group makes such people to have to scramble desperately for slots on their own and compete for vaccine supplies with the general population, in addition to all the other problems that they have. Center should vaccinated them or at least have reserved slots for them.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

How did the shortage of oxygen end in Dilli the moment the Modi government offered to conduct an audit
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Isn’t the central government supplying the full 700MT as they demanded? So they got what they wanted….
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tanaji wrote:Isn’t the central government supplying the full 700MT as they demanded? So they got what they wanted….
they were planning to start an additional 9500 oxygen beds using the oxygen thus obtained without informing anyone.

that slimeball is, as always, running a scam

they clowns don't have the capacity to start even 9 such beds
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

I'm part of the senior citizen group and many in this groups are giving up resources to help upcoming generation.

The risk assessment has changed. Hopefully that answers uniform access to vaccination.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

How well are CT scan machines maintained and certified by a trustable process?
Closer Look: Does One CT Scan Emit Radiation Of 300-400 X-Rays?
https://swarajyamag.com/science/closer- ... 400-x-rays
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) director Dr Randeep Guleria recently said that a CT scan is equivalent to 300-400 X-rays and should be avoided for mild Covid-19 cases.

In response, the Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) dismissed Guleria’s claims by calling it “misleading”.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

darshan wrote:I'm part of the senior citizen group and many in this groups are giving up resources to help upcoming generation.

The risk assessment has changed. Hopefully that answers uniform access to vaccination.

Sir we need the seniors vaccinated first as they are at the highest risk of hospitalization. If young have health issues then this makes sense.

Younger folks should hunker down as vaccine production ramps up. There is hope on the horizon as we will have around 200 million doses/month by September.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

SIngle most focus of this year should be to defeat COVID and improve healthcare system.
someone like Piyush Goyal should be given in charge of COVID control board.

There should be a task force which will attack any region that shows signs of COVID.

May be we need something like NHS (UK) - National Health Services.

Every state gets 4 regional hospitals (center & state managed) with 10000 bed and oxygen plants/surgical facilities that can be lent to even private doctors. It is like Cloud hosting. We can raise funds from Health tax or insurance premiums from LIC or employers can contribute.

Some hopeful drugs in pipeline ... Don't know how much are these marketing gimmicks or real
I hope there is one group that is actively looking at these and making quicker decisions and figuring out logistics to co-ordinate testing and distribution.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 442841.cms
Natco rolls out Baricitinib ahead of approval for patent waiver ..
Natco launched its 4mg tablets at Rs 30 a piece on Thursday ..
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 377057.cms
Natco gets CDSCO nod for emergency use of Baricitinib

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/nat ... 60308.html
Hyderabad-based Natco Pharma Limited on Monday said it has applied to the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) for approval of Phase-III clinical trial of Molnupiravir Capsules, to be used for the treatment of Covid-19 positive patients.

The capsule has been developed by American pharma major Merck along with Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.
https://opoyi.com/sanotize-seeks-emerge ... y-in-india
18 April.New Delhi, Delhi, India
SaNOtize seeks emergency approval for COVID preventive nasal spray in India

https://www.money9.com/news/covid-vacci ... dia-plans-
Money9 Exclusive | Company behind nasal spray to fight Covid-19 gives update about India plans
Last edited by vijayk on 07 May 2021 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Younglings have also aged up and have been run down. We also know the lifestyles and how healthy food gets eaten. The debate will go on forever. The mobility needs to be vaccinated to move forward. This is not from govt or some scientific conclusion. Just from what I concluded by talking to other seniors. Seniors being from tough times understand the resource constraints. I didn't have to argue with anyone about supplies. They just started talking about how things would get manufactured if everyone's sick. Hard decisions will have to be made. Vaccine increase doesn't come easily when workforce is getting infected. Many also said that they can do old style keeping things separate and survive in a corner instead of taking chance to go out. Even to get vaccinated one does have to go out. Hard to argue with some of that from old folks.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Apart from vaccines, we need them drugs like the above. I don't think we will be able to vaccinate around 70% at least till middle of next year. Till that time, there probably will be more waves. So drugs are as essential as vaccines. I do hope ICMR/DGCI will approve some of these drugs ASAP. May be doctors like Ratnadip will be able to provide better picture on the effectiveness of these newer drugs.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

darshan wrote:How well are CT scan machines maintained and certified by a trustable process?
Closer Look: Does One CT Scan Emit Radiation Of 300-400 X-Rays?
https://swarajyamag.com/science/closer- ... 400-x-rays
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) director Dr Randeep Guleria recently said that a CT scan is equivalent to 300-400 X-rays and should be avoided for mild Covid-19 cases.

In response, the Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) dismissed Guleria’s claims by calling it “misleading”.
CT scans are unnecessary in mild cases. They can expose you to high radiation. I had an abdominal CT scan some 6 years ago in the US and the incompetent radiology technician ran me through the machine 3 times to get a good scan. Turned out all I had was severe gastritis. A chest X-ray = 0.1 mSv and abdominal CT scan = 10 mSv. A person is typically exposed to 2-3 mSv/year from background. About 100 bananas will give you 0.25 mSv.

The claim of 300-400 times an x-ray is correct in real world practice.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Ouch. I don't even like to be in the back lobes of the em fields.

The whole calibration and usage sort of does give me jitters. I usually call around and find the newest machine before getting exposed.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

50 lakh Covishield doses meant for export to UK to be used in India for vaccinating 18-plus
Fifty lakh doses of ‘Covishield' vaccine earmarked by the Serum Institute for export to the United Kingdom have now been made available for the inoculation of 18-44 age group in 21 states/UTs in India, amid a surge in COVID-19 cases, official sources said.

The Centre's decision to allocate these doses to 21 states and Union territories (UTs) came after Prakash Kumar Singh, director, Government and Regulatory Affairs at Pune-based Serum Institute of India, recently wrote to the Union health ministry seeking permission for the same.

The Serum Institute had on March 23 sought permission from the ministry to supply 50 lakh doses of Covishield to the UK, citing an agreement with AstraZeneca NSE -0.16 % in this regard, while assuring India that its own anti-coronavirus vaccination programme will not be disturbed due to this supply.

"The stock of 50 lakh doses of Covishield vaccine is now available for inoculation of 18-44 age group people in 21 states and UTs," an official source said.

The ministry has asked the states to contact the company and initiate procurement activity promptly.

While some states have been allocated 3,50,000 doses each, others got 1,00,000 doses each and two others have been assigned 50,000 doses each based on the COVID-19 caseload, official sources said.

The jabs are labelled as ‘COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca' injections and not ‘Covishield'.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

darshan wrote:Ouch. I don't even like to be in the back lobes of the em fields.

The whole calibration and usage sort of does give me jitters. I usually call around and find the newest machine before getting exposed.
I’ve worked around high powered EM fields for over 30 years. Main beam, side and back lobes. It isn’t ionizing radiation nothing happens, just pay attention to power density in V/m or mW/cm^2. CT scans are another issue and much depends on the radiology tech’s capabilities.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

It’s nice of the UK to send the 5 million doses to India. The US has no timeline for the 20 million AZ doses they promised to send.