Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Tanaji »

The government should every day highlight how many slots went unused over the past week. Not only will this encourage people who are waiting for smaller crowds to come out and take advantage but it will also expose the propaganda that vaccine is not available. It will also lay bare Kajriwal types that claim they don’t have vaccines.

Will serve the government well when they next wave congress and Hizzoners hold Court and pontificate about running vaccine programmes.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Running price seems to be around Rs 1000 while the vaccine is Rs150.

https://www.deshgujarat.com/2021/06/19/ ... r-reports/
...It is alleged that he would issue fake RT-PCR reports of Pethocare laboratory in exchange of Rs. 1,000. Police has recovered PDF files from his computer through which he would issue RT-PCR negative reports for smooth interstate travel.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

^^^ This does not make sense. The test is Rs 800 or free if you want to a government centre. Why would anyone pay Rs 1000 for a fake report?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Telangana opened fully
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Kakkaji wrote:Since there is so much FUD being spread by different sources about vaccination in India, I would like, with the Mods’ permission, to request the BRF members to report their (and their family members’) actual experiences of vaccination in India. Not long stories, but if the members can report the following:

1. When did they (and their family members) get their vaccine shots and where (City, Facility (Government or Private))?
2. Which vaccine did they get, and how much did they pay per shot?
3. How long did they have to try on COWIN before they could get their appointment(s)?
4. How long did it take them on the day of vaccination, from arrival at the facility to departure after vaccination?
5. Any other relevant information that could be helpful for other members.

Mods please delete if inappropriate.

Thanks in Advance
Covaxin, for all three folks in the house.

1. Elderly parent, hard to get a slot when the vaxx had opened up and Cvx was in short supply. Went to a corporate hospital setup. Well organized despite the rush, got it done, payment was around 250Rs (don't remember exactly). While Cowin was booked out, they allowed walkins.

2. Follow up shot was harder to get but found one and again this was in the peak of the second wave, so the hospital staff went out of their way to accommodate us. Registration on Cowin, everything went smoothly on arrival. Cost was around 800 per shot.

I and the other person in the house have one dose each. I got mine thanks to the help of a BR member who had a vaxx camp organized.

The other person got it via Cowin when slots opened up recently. Before that there was a slot shortage, either vaxx shortage or they were being prioritised for the higher age groups, I am not sure. Perhaps it's the SC directive to provide vaxx equally to all which helped or better supply, or both
Am not sure. Let's see.

Both shots were Rs 1400 each, I think. Both via the corporate hospital setup. I am glad to pay this amount as its going to an Indian company and financing Indian scientific innovation.

Yet to book for the second shot. The app tells us when we are eligible. Cowin overall is a well designed app. The only issue was relative shortage of slots and Covaxin, which issue, is being resolved and hopefully will continue to improve.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Tanaji wrote:^^^ This does not make sense. The test is Rs 800 or free if you want to a government centre. Why would anyone pay Rs 1000 for a fake report?
Most ppl don't take the test as they are feeling OK, or are afraid if they take it they will be forced into the Govt quarantine center, a few genuinely can't get it (test result shortages in some states) so they get a fake one at the time of travel.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

BTW "German hi-teeeck vaccine was effective in 40% cases only. It was owned by German Govt (30% stake)". So much for allowing India to be worlds apothek. Angela Merkel was reported to be throwing beer mugs in Munchin beer hal.
Quote source: FT 18 June 2021
ani_sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ani_sharma »

Vaccine experience:

Parents:
- Dad got covidshield while it was open for 45+ only. Quite comfortable experience for both doses as there wasn't much rush.
- Mom (with Co-morbidity) avoided it for some time but her first dose was easy to get. She got covaxin. Second dose was little tough to get, we got it at a village PHC in nearby district.
Funfact:: everyday the PHC staff in village waits to amass 10 ppl to open a vile or else some shots may go waste.. And everyday they have to get 1-2 under 45 person vaccinated (this was 45+ center only).. And half the vaccinated Ppl we're from nearby district towns.

Me and wife::
- Funny story.. When 18+ slots opened up, I got slots 6 times. . Every time I was turned away with excuse such as - vaccine not available or it was technical glitch on cowin.. (Quite repetitive technical glitch)
- After multiple failures, I got in touch with few nearby vaccination centers and the nearby dist village PHC..so that they wld call me in case they are short of 45+ ppl and viles r going waste... I got a ping within 2days.. I got covaxin.
- second dose.. Same approach while covaxin was still not available for 18+ easily.

All in all.. We all are fully vaccinated..
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Thanks to members Deans, Pratyush, Karan M, and ani_sharma

We get a truer picture through these shared experiences.
Last edited by Kakkaji on 19 Jun 2021 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Day 154: https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1728325
Day 155: https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1728657

Day 155 - day 154 = 27,62,55,304 - 27,20,72,645 = 41,82,659

Way to go!
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Russia has mandated compulsory vaccination by 15th Aug, for all govt employees and all in public facing roles. People not complying can be sacked or denied use of public services. Of course if it happens here, the usual suspects will rush to SC.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Three months ago my sister and brother in law went to a private clinic in HYD and got their shots. They told me first time there was no wait time and they paid only Rs 150 each. Second time after three weeks they had to wait about 4 hours to get their shot. Again they paid Rs150/- each. This was in the very beginning of the vaccination drive. They took AZ vaccine.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vacc ... ta-variant
PHE UK Study on 14,000 cases indicate 2 doses of Oxford vaccine is 92% effective against Delta variant in preventing hospitalization
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Assam government asks employees to get vaccinated by July 1
Assam government has asked the employees to get vaccinated by July 1 or the government will not allow no coming to office due to not being vaccinated.

The Chief secretary has issued order to this effect. Assam government is targeting 3 lakh daily vaccinations from June 21 to June 30 on mission mode. The employees are asked to get themselves vaccinated.
venkat_kv
BRFite

Post by venkat_kv »

Suraj wrote:
Kakkaji wrote:Since there is so much FUD being spread by different sources about vaccination in India, I would like, with the Mods’ permission, to request the BRF members to report their (and their family members’) actual experiences of vaccination in India. Not long stories, but if the members can report the following:

1. When did they (and their family members) get their vaccine shots and where (City, Facility (Government or Private))?
3. How long did they have to try on COWIN before they could get their appointment(s)?
4. How long did it take them on the day of vaccination, from arrival at the facility to departure after vaccination?

Thanks in Advance
I’ve already asked this in the past . Not many take the time to respond to this in detail but maybe you’ll be luckier .
Hi Kakaji Saar,
i had shared my parents experience before but here it goes again with some more info on family members.

1. My parents got their shots in a private hospital in Hyderbad telangana. Their first shot was in March and the second shot was in the first week of April, just a little (probably a week) before the shortages started showing up.
2. they were given AZ as that was the only available one during that time in March. I think they paid 400 for each of their shots and this includes the 150 service charge of the hospital. this was quite early in the vaccination drive when the vaccines were still 250 a dose.
3. they tried registering but couldn't get through, so they did a walk-in and the hospital registered them.
4. it took them about an hour to an hour and a half to be completely done with observation.
5. Father had mild fever a week later and tested positive for covid about 2 weeks later though he didn't have any other symptoms. Mom who was interacting with him everyday in the house tested negative. same issue seen with another 3 uncles that we know in the colony. they all test positive without any symptoms but their wives were all negative. all of them in the range of 55-60 in age.

My cousin in hyderabad tested positive for covid in the first week of april and so did his wife later that week, they didn't take any doses yet as they weren't in the open age group then. self quarantined and came out okay. My cousin felt he might have contracted it when we went to buy some vegetables from the supermarket. he was surprised that he had covid and there wasn't yet the fear that came about later in a month due to the over whelming of the hospitals. my aunt (his mother) tested positive later and had to be hospitalized due to dropping oxygen levels and a fever that was not subsiding. She had by then received a single dose of AZ. Made a recovery after the hospital gave her 5 doses of remdesivir. they were staying in apartments, so not sure how it came about.

Another case of covid postive was my BIL and his wife who had traveled to Karnataka from telangana by car in Aril-may time frame. the wife first tested positive an then the husband tested positive. wife had body pains and was suffering for a while even after hospitalization briefly. she was quite scared and was constantly saying why me? why did i have to get covid, can't bear the pain and so on. she had this for a good part of a month and eventually she made a recovery. My mom spoke with her and said that people have to be mentally strong with a little of will power that nothing bad will happen, but with the constant negative press and the body pains BIL's wife felt she might not make it.
But they have all made full recoveries. My father in law and mother in law were in the same house and they got both their doses by then so they just had very mild symptoms and came out with self isolation in their own rooms in the apartment.

hope this info helps
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Suraj wrote:

Thanks in Advance
I’ve already asked this in the past . Not many take the time to respond to this in detail but maybe you’ll be luckier .
Multiple elders over 60+ group - all of them got fully vaccinated. Mostly Covishield, a couple took Covaxin. No major side effects reported, most of them didn't even have any. First dose when the 60+ group was opened up, second dose 8 weeks later (that was the interval back then). No crowds, just walked into a city corporation-run PHCs and got the shots for free for both doses, process took less than an hour (there was a 30 min waiting time back then).

Younger people like moi got ours over the past month - all Covaxin, through Cowin and at private hospitals. Initially getting slots was difficult, but the automated Telegram alerts some people had built using the Cowin APIs helped. Two of us are pending second doses, but except kids, all others are done. Crowds were manageable - hospitals had organized pretty decently, and over time, their ability to make this seamless has improved. Took no more than an hour in total. Booking the second dose is a breeze now - way more stocks showing up, plus the ability to segregate appointments for 2nd dose is very useful. Cowin app is quite reliable and well built - it even detected a duplicate entry that had been entered with different phone numbers and helped me merge it quickly. Cost wise, yes, Covaxin at ₹1410 is expensive, but I don't mind paying it as it is an Indian tech and the process itself is quite complicated to get right, and BB has done it. No harm in saying so - I did have a feeling of pride when I took Covaxin.

Others in friends + office circles: mostly done, some waiting for recovery duration post infection. Bulk of them opted for Covaxin too, though not sure of the reason. Perhaps a feeling of better protection than Covishield, and some like me, as stated above. Some went private, some took via KB-organized camps. The implied message, though not stated officially, is that returning to office would be contingent on vaccination - not sure what they'd say to those who refuse to take it. Other than this, apt society also had a camp for all service and support staff (security, maintenance staff, domestic helps, etc.) and residents who hadn't taken outside. It was a successful camp - most hesitation from the past was gone (I had reported my experience in this regard earlier), and the staff vaccinations were paid for by donations by residents, so in effect, it was free for them. Heard other societies in BLR are doing the same - I know firsthand of two neighbouring societies.

mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

How Communist China Weaponizes Healthcare and Medicine Against Foreign Adversaries—Cleo Paskal

India’s second wave of COVID-19 has prompted growing questions and suspicions of the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) involvement, following a deadly border clash last year.

In this episode, we sit down with Cleo Paskal, an expert on the Chinese Communist Party and its Indo-Pacific strategy, to understand how the CCP systematically exploits the weaknesses of its adversaries.

In the Chinese communist playbook, anything can be weaponized, from using apps like TikTok to subtly influence the minds of America’s youth to deprive people of life-saving treatment if they don’t toe the Communist Party line, Paskal says. Cleo Paskal is an associate fellow at Chatham House.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/how-commu ... 2021-02-19
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chinese propaganda openly being pushed by Indian presstitutes

saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

You know if you want to fly from India to USA it is a no, no as you are not allowed if you spent any time during the past 14 days in India. So some enterprising people with money flew to Dubai spent 14 day quarantine and then flew to the USA, all to attend a wedding in the USA. If you have money and the will, you will find a way.
sanjayc
BRFite

Post by sanjayc »

Rigorously implement public health, social measures: WHO

NEW DELHI, 20 June 2021: The World Health Organization today called upon countries in WHO South-East Asia Region to scale up and rigorously implement public health and social measures, along with efforts to accelerate vaccination for COVID-19, to prevent another surge, as more countries confirmed prevalence of highly transmissible variants of concerns.

“We need to continuously strengthen our efforts to test, trace and isolate. Societal interventions such as physical distancing, hand hygiene and proper wearing of masks need to be stringently implemented. These measures should be in full force and for longer periods in areas reporting more transmissible variants of concerns,” said
Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh, Regional Director, WHO South-East Asia.

The public health and social measures are a wide range of nonpharmaceutical interventions, both individual and societal, and are cost-effective measures to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, and save lives.

In addition to personal protective measures, they include cleaning, disinfection, ventilation, surveillance. Contact tracing, isolation and quarantine. Physical distancing measures such as limiting the size of gatherings, maintaining distance in public or workplaces, domestic movement restrictions; and international travel-related measures.

“These measures are critical for preventing infections, reducing transmission and saving lives”, the Regional Director said.

Even as countries scale up vaccination against COVID-19, they need to implement public health and social measures in tailored and agile way, she said.

A risk-based approach is needed for public health and social measures. These measures should be implemented by the lowest administrative level and continuously adjusted to the intensity of transmission and the capacity of health systems.

The capacity of the health systems includes both clinical care for COVID-19 and non COVID-19, and public health services such as case detection, diagnostic testing, contact tracing. The risk assessment should measure both the actual ability to deliver services, and the performance of those services, Dr Khetrapal Singh said.

“Where more transmissible Variants of Concern are spreading, these measures need to be applied more stringently and for longer periods,” the Regional Director said.

Earlier this week Maldives and Myanmar confirmed transmission of Variants of Concern. Earlier, Variants of Concern have been confirmed in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Timor-Leste.

The Variants of Concern, along with opening of economies and societies, contributed to the recent surge in cases globally.

Countries across the world are currently at different phases in the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic and face varying epidemiological situations. Though the Region is now witnessing an overall decline in cases, mainly due to decreasing cases reported in India, in some other countries the cases are still increasing.
(https://www.who.int/southeastasia/outbr ... on-reports)

“We must not forget that the pandemic is still around. We must guard against complacency, at any level. We must continue to implement combinations of public health and social measures until globally there high COVID-19 vaccine coverage among health workers, and high-risk and vulnerable groups,” the Regional Director said.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

#VaccineExperience

since was head management of private medical college turned into UP sarkar Covid treatment and vaccination center cannot say much on experience, but took Covishield early but could not develop antibodies so took Covaxin this time decided to get it at local PHC both doses took less than an hour including 30 minutes post inoculation wait period. free of cost.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Sharing my experience: After vigorous search for slot for last 2 days finally got one today. Pretty straightforward procedure. But had a two hrs wait at the centre due to just single nurse dispensing the vaccine. No pain or fever yet hopefully things remain the same.

Tip for ppl in and around Mumbai MMR... Try to find slots by 11.30am you should be able to find suitable slot. Also find by district name. Could not find any info with pincode.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

What percentage of 45+ have been vaccinated by now? Any chance of getting 70%+ of this group covered with both shots by September?
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Have noticed over the past week how we the people of India are in large part responsible for this spread. There is negligible Covid appropriate behavior in flights, markets, malls, offices or anywhere for that matter.

I expect the third wave to equally bad as the first one and it to come sooner than expected.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For the record:
Here is SUTRA's current projection:

We could be more confident about the accuracy when we get further servo-survey data but it seems that by August 15 we will be seeing about 1500 cases per day and below 1000 by the end of August.
Provided the current behaviour of covid appropriate behaviour (Some say people are quite careless even now - but in the model we are assuming it does not get worse) *and* new variant does not appear.

Hopefully by August 15, we will double the number of vaccine shots in the arm of the people - 500 Million vaccine shots and about 200 Million fully vaccinated people.. We will see how accurate this projection is.

More I (and others) look at data and transmissivity of Delta variant I get extremely worried.
- Brazil has now overtaken India in daily numbers - and I am not talking about per million people..UK's daily number per capita is much worse than India - the dominant variant is Delta.

I posted UK and USA per Sutra Model - UK there is definitely a new peak/wave. Even in USA I (and others) are worried as there are many counties in US where vaccination rate is quite low - and children are unvaccinated and people are becoming much more careless. US Admin is taking it seriously but should take it more seriously ...

For USA:

(If I get a chance, I may put some few modeling scenarios for USA - or run some SUTRA model for some of US states.. The estimated value of R0 is *very* scary for USA - from what I can tell).

Pretty scary that It is surging exponentially in the US at now 31% of all cases, up from ~10% just a week ago.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Raja wrote:What percentage of 45+ have been vaccinated by now? Any chance of getting 70%+ of this group covered with both shots by September?
The 70% number is for the general population. Pretty meaningless for just a particular demographic, unless 45+ people are going to interact only with 45+ people. You need close to 100% coverage in that demographic to protect them.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

niran wrote:#VaccineExperience

since was head management of private medical college turned into UP sarkar Covid treatment and vaccination center cannot say much on experience, but took Covishield early but could not develop antibodies so took Covaxin this time decided to get it at local PHC both doses took less than an hour including 30 minutes post inoculation wait period. free of cost.
What is the test for antibodies called and is it widely available? Is it a generic test or specific to each vaccine?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ WRT antibody test—many early commercial COVID19 antibody tests look for antibodies to nucleocapsid, or N, protein. But N antibodies are not as powerful, not produced by spike protein vaccines .. anyway this may be interesting:
Wondering if the Vaccine Worked? Get the Right Test, at the Right Time
Scientists generally recommend against antibody testing after vaccination. But for some people, it makes sense
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Amber G. wrote:^^^ WRT antibody test—many early commercial COVID19 antibody tests look for antibodies to nucleocapsid, or N, protein. But N antibodies are not as powerful, not produced by spike protein vaccines .. anyway this may be interesting:
Scientists generally recommend against antibody testing after vaccination. But for some people, it makes sense
Thanks, good info!
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

No one in hyderabad is giving 2nd dose less than 84 days. I am in 80th day today, and might not be able to go for vaccination for couple of weeks from friday onwards. So wanted to check if any hospital will oblige, but looks like private hospitals are not allowing anyone before 84 days when I called up to confirm.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Uttam wrote:Weekly average vaccination rate over last 5 weeks.

date. >>> Weekly Average doses
May 17. >>> 16.75 lacs
May 24. >>> 20.12 lacs
May 31. >>> 25.01 lacs
June 7. >>> 28.80 lacs
June 14. >>> 32.63 lacs

Seems like linear growth. Let's see if we end with > 36 lacs average this week.
Continuing this thread:
June 20. >>> 35.98 lacs

The 7-day daily moving average has touched 36 lacs. This is based on the average shown onhttps://www.covid19india.org/
Last edited by Uttam on 21 Jun 2021 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
vikramb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vikramb »

Between 4pm - 5pm today, i.e. 21-06-2021, the total number of doses administered was a whopping 19,50,428 doses taking the daily vaccination figure to 69,25,995 doses. So India is definitely going to set a record today.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

For all we know the chinese could be upto something nefarious with this vaccine. Nothing can be ruled out.
Singapore Concerned About Sinovac Covid-19 Vaccine After Hundreds Of Indonesian Healthcare Workers Tests Positive
https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/sing ... s-positive
Badai Ismoyo, head of the health office in the district of Kudus in Central Java, said that most of these infected people were asymptomatic and self-isolating at home. But dozens of people have been admitted to hospitals with high fevers and low oxygen saturation levels. It was also reported that Kudus, which has around 5,000 people working in healthcare, is dealing with an outbreak caused by the more transmissible Delta variant, which has pushed bed occupancy rates beyond 90 per cent.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Amber G. wrote:...
More I (and others) look at data and transmissivity of Delta variant I get extremely worried.
- Brazil has now overtaken India in daily numbers - and I am not talking about per million people..UK's daily number per capita is much worse than India - the dominant variant is Delta.
Amber G. Apologies if already posted before. Is there any reliable research on why Delta variant is more transmissible, explaining the methodology and how it was assessed? I'm sure there is more scientific study than simply, More Case --> More Transmissible, as factors like relaxed lockdown rules, pop density are various factors that would change the outcome.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Co win dashboard is showing a total of 7.5 million today. Was there some mass vaccination drive ?

Even Sunday ended up with 3.5 million. This is great pace
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Just checking cowin portal, have we vaccinated 75 lakh people today?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

7.8 Million
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Record 13 lakh vaccinated in a single day in AP

Would love to see states competing in setting records in this area... GoI should go full throttle in typing in celebrities and events like the IPL to push for the drive
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Amber G. wrote:^^^ WRT antibody test—many early commercial COVID19 antibody tests look for antibodies to nucleocapsid, or N, protein. But N antibodies are not as powerful, not produced by spike protein vaccines .. anyway this may be interesting:
the test i underwent was Spike Protien antibodies count expressed in units per Uml it is necessary to study disease progress and vaccine efficience to plan for doses and or booster dose. remember all vaccines are still in 3rd phase trail technically.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Nearly 82 lac today