Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Mort Walker »

Pratyush wrote:The score from a few moments ago is 77 lakhs or 7.7 millions we still have nearly 4 hours in the day left.

Appears to be another big scoring day.
About 92 lakhs or 9.2 million and roughly 4 hours to go. They might hit 1 crore today.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

We ended Thursday Sept 16 on 771.7m doses as of 7pm. Today's 7pm report (https://pib.gov.in/PressReleseDetail.aspx?PRID=1756543) says 817.3m

That's a colossal 46m doses in 4 days across a WEEKEND. 46m by itself would rank as among the top 5 weeks ever, and it's just over 4 days.

There's clearly a strong supply rampup happening.

And I maintain that the idea of the Cowin daily vaccination ticker is political genius. Keeping up with it has become a national pastime.

Posted about prior week on Twitter: https://twitter.com/surajbrf/status/1439785773977374720
Share of global vaccinations this month:
Tracks vaccine supply available with states against trailing one week vaccinations. This is to debunk the nonsense about states accumulating vaccinations for PR stunts on one day. Data shows there's no excess of the sort.
India is now far outdoing the west in doses/person as well:
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

chetak wrote:These two bit colonials who still think that "rule britania" is still in force and their empire rules the world should be taught an unforgettable lesson.

reciprocity in all matters should be enforced strictly with britshits, and they must be banned from entering India from any country in the world.

So India which uses AZ and has supplied the very same AZ to the UK is now not good enough to pass muster

maybe we could order 10-20 nuclear submarines from them to placate the britshit govt

vaccination apartheid, anyone............

UK government's AZ vaccines are made in India which also administers the very same vaccine off the very same production line so what exactly are they insinuating

@AlexInAir
UK government confirm tonight that if a person has been vaccinated in Africa, or South America, or countries including UAE, India, Turkey, Jordan, Thailand, Russia…

…you are considered “unvaccinated” and must follow “unvaccinated” rules = 10 day home quarantine & tests

3:51 am · 18 Sep 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_hYCc9WQAU ... name=large
It's vaccine racism, pure and simple.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Suraj wrote:Share of global vaccinations this month:
<OT>This chart reminds of those historical GDP estimates where India was the world's largest economy and the west was very far from the bhest... So this is what it looks and feels like, albeit for a different metric.

May we see these trends for GDP again in our lifetimes! </OT>
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Btw, Digilocker has an option to download your vaccination certificates - I wasn't successful in fetching mine, has it worked for anyone here?

It does seem to be a useful feature as vaccination certs become more important for travel, etc. I don't have to carry the paper copy in my wallet (though no one has asked for it so far). Already some hospitals are skipping Covid RTPCR tests for fully vaccinated patients/attenders.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Vaccine in various states: (Sept 19th)

(Note: HP has more than 100% value - perhaps out of state people have gotten vaccines there - or the census data for eligible adults is fuzzy.)
Karna
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Karna »

arshyam wrote:
chetak wrote:These two bit colonials who still think that "rule britania" is still in force and their empire rules the world should be taught an unforgettable lesson.

reciprocity in all matters should be enforced strictly with britshits, and they must be banned from entering India from any country in the world.

So India which uses AZ and has supplied the very same AZ to the UK is now not good enough to pass muster

maybe we could order 10-20 nuclear submarines from them to placate the britshit govt

vaccination apartheid, anyone............

UK government's AZ vaccines are made in India which also administers the very same vaccine off the very same production line so what exactly are they insinuating

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_hYCc9WQAU ... name=large
It's vaccine racism, pure and simple.
Why not reciprocate? Post Brexit UK needs access to Indian markets.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

arshyam wrote:Btw, Digilocker has an option to download your vaccination certificates - I wasn't successful in fetching mine, has it worked for anyone here?

It does seem to be a useful feature as vaccination certs become more important for travel, etc. I don't have to carry the paper copy in my wallet (though no one has asked for it so far). Already some hospitals are skipping Covid RTPCR tests for fully vaccinated patients/attenders.
Hi. I tried. It's easy. You have to mention your unique I'd from cowin and then try. Had to do 2 attempts. But was eventually successful.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

https://www.firstpost.com/india/vaccine ... 81831.html

Vaccine Diplomacy to resume from October
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

rajkumar wrote:https://www.firstpost.com/india/vaccine ... 81831.html

This is foolish on part of India. Unless BB is able to ramp up production matching SII output. India should not be in any rush to export any vaccines.

Hell I will accept a combined output of cadila, Bio-e and BB to equal SII output. Before we send any jabs overseas.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

SII has a contractual obligation to supply to COVAX/Gavi. Their access to Covishield production is tied to being able to partition between India and ROW supply. They've basically overridden some of these but will soon have to ensure they do meet commitments.

Sept 2020 Gavi: New collaboration makes further 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine available to low- and middle-income countries

But it's fair to ensure the government ensures BioE and Covaxin rampup happens on time to compensate. They've been doing an excellent job of this so far right ? Clearly something like this is obvious to them and they also have a much better sense of production estimates going forward.

As someone who's been collecting data for months now, I find their general command over the information to be solid. When they state something like 1 and 3 mo supply figures I've a good reason to consider they've got the details covered, because they've demonstrated doing so.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

rajkumar wrote:https://www.firstpost.com/india/vaccine ... 81831.html

There are going to be some big announcements this week regarding Global covid strategy ityadi.

IMVHO - Per people who I trust and respect are advising GoI - From scientific/technical/data point of view starting export is not going to practically impact vaccine distribution in India and many countries (like Vietnam which at present has very low vaccination rates) will benefit by it *tremendously*. India has earned extraordinary good will recently supplying oxygen concentrators and other equipments to Vietnam (and *many* other countries).

Meanwhile the total on day 249 per PIB at 7PM is 825,780,128 (Delta 8,384,365)

Things are looking stable. Kerala phase has become stable (in my opinion) and beta value (in spite of many people not wearing mask properly and becoming a little careless) is under control - no new worrisome variant has appeared till now and even some newspapers are reporting low R value (less than 1).
Karna
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Karna »

Is anyone tracking number of sites administrating vaccines? What's the weekly avg for the last one month? What's the avg no of sites needed to achieve a daily count of 1cr +
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

In today's address to UNGA, Biden talked about "additional commitments on fighting Covid-19' - after the summit on the pandemic with Modi, and QUAD leaders on Wednesday. The commitments would be announced “as we seek to advance the fight against Covid-19 and hold ourselves accountable around specific targets on three key challenges — saving lives now, vaccinating the world, and building back better."
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Hopefully Biden's staff gives him Prevaegen, Ashwagandha, and amphetamines to keep him alert tomorrow through Thursday. Who knows what the dude will say in any discussions related to the QUAD or vaccines. Vaccine Maitri has restarted, so there isn't a whole lot to discuss at the political level except to pressure the US to provide EUA for Covaxin and others. The duffers in State, CDC, and FDA can go look at: https://www.mea.gov.in/vaccine-supply.htm for updates on India's Vaccine Maitri.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Don’t get vaccinated’: ‘funeral home’ ad with stark message goes viral

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Biden will announce today the US will purchase an additional 500 million Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines to donate to countries around the world.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

What is today's count so far? Cowin dashboard isnt showing the counter anymore
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Dashboard link - https://dashboard.cowin.gov.in/

Current count :- 57,18,920
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Amber G. wrote:Biden will announce today the US will purchase an additional 500 million Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines to donate to countries around the world.
At $24/dose, that comes out to $12 billion cost to US treasury. On top of that it only vaccinates 250 million and is subject to spoil much faster at room storage. This incompetent administration should be buying the AZ or J&J instead and could possibly vaccinate over a billion people at the same cost.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:Biden will announce today the US will purchase an additional 500 million Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines to donate to countries around the world.
^^^ It is official: >> Link:
As we fight COVID-19 here at home, we need to continue our efforts overseas. That’s why today, I announced we’re increasing our total vaccine donation to over 1.1 billion doses
---

Meanwhile PIB 7 PM Report:
833,346, 676 (Delta 7,566.548)
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Does Pfizer have the capacity to produce 1.1 billion shots in the next several months? I seriously doubt it.
venkat_kv
BRFite

Post by venkat_kv »

^^^^
Mort Saar,
If I had to guess, the overall donations will be lower than the announced shots. They will start with what ever excess capacity/dosages they have left over and might start off with that and later the number will taper off as other countries reach herd immunity or covid starts moving away from the headlines.

but the administration comments will probably be used for bragging rights over concern for the rest of the world.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

SRH player T. Natarajan tested positive for Covid at the ongoing IPL. Wouldn't players and the support staff of done full vaccination before the second leg of IPL started? Prima facie, this appears to be a case of breakthrough infection. Now these people with their secure bio bubble etc can contract covid despite high fitness levels and full vaccination can catch the infection what about ordinary folks? Worrisome.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Pfizer was slated for nearly 3 billion doses in 2022 with two additional plants in production. One in South Africa and another in Singapore coming on-line later in 2022. This is a huge cash cow for Pfizer where the US government and taxpayer will be paying for 1.1 billion doses where many of which will spoil in distribution. I have yet to see wastage percentage in the US; it seems the information is deliberately hidden. I am beginning to doubt the efficacy of Pfizer where the FDA may have lied about the data as there appear to be many breakthrough cases in the US. The US has a 7-day running average of 130K and an active case load of >9.7 million, which is the highest since the pandemic began in Feb. 2020. The US has 55% of the population fully vaccinated and 64% with at least one dose.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

There's a lot of silly nonsense around 'fake vaccination certificates' in India. This argument is fundamentally ignorant of what the printed form is. It's NOT an authenticated document like some attested certificate. It's just a printed paper showing a QR code. The authentication is via digital certification on the Cowin website. Go there and there's a button staring at you saying 'Verify Certificate'.

Some people argue this is some kind of prototype technology that is hacked easily etc. Maybe they don't have kids , haven't married or had a death in the family. Because if you lived in many parts of India, the birth, marriage and death certificates are issued exactly the same way:
Mumbai: https://www.mcgm.gov.in/irj/portal/anon ... er=english
Bengluru: https://ejanma.karnataka.gov.in/
Kerala: https://cr.lsgkerala.gov.in/
One does not get an attested certificate from registrar after waiting all day. The details are filed and then you access a certificate by filling in query, getting a QR code which takes an inspector to the site to verify the printed information is valid.

US states and UK GRO do birth certificates the old fashioned way. QR based digital authentication is a strange creature to them.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Vaccine cards in the US are informal documents and not quickly verified. Mine is written by hand, but I have Pfizer stickers on it indicating lot number and date. There's people selling vaccine cards on eBay in the US.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

France has an app called "TousAntiCovid" (AllAgainstCovid). One can scan vaccination certificate QR code (with name) into it. For self & family too. Public places like restaurants, cinemas etc now check for vaccination status to allow entry using similar phone app to scan your QR code for instant verification against your ID. While crossing borders, same QR code + name, DoB, vaccine type (Pfizer etc with a long lot code below) and 2nd vaccination date can be displayed in the app.

You can optionally update your health status if you test covid +ve using a QR code sent by the public health dept. The app uses bluetooth to warn others who have come in close contact as potential contaminated cases and alerts them to isolate & get tested ASAP. and vice versa if you have been in close proximity to a person whose app has been updated with +ve status. Never got a chance to test this part though!

Also provides national and local health dept notifications, data updates & alerts based on geolocation.
Data shown today: 81.7% of eligible population vaccinated, 47.12Million given both doses, 6794 new cases yesterday, 33% load on hospital ICUs, 1656 patients in IC, effective R 0.72, 95.5% cases are L452 (delta) variant, 0.3% E484K (beta, gamma etc) 0.9% E484Q, 1.4% RT-PCR positivity rate last week, No of persons who declared themselves as +ve in the app so far : 463,656 etc etc...

Very simple to use and well implemented.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Mort Walker wrote:Vaccine cards in the US are informal documents and not quickly verified. Mine is written by hand, but I have Pfizer stickers on it indicating lot number and date. There's people selling vaccine cards on eBay in the US.
Unbelievable for the world's long time tech leader! Why this situation saar?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Cyrano wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:Vaccine cards in the US are informal documents and not quickly verified. Mine is written by hand, but I have Pfizer stickers on it indicating lot number and date. There's people selling vaccine cards on eBay in the US.
Unbelievable for the world's long time tech leader! Why this situation saar?
It is next to impossible to do anything on a national scale in the US with the Federal govt. leading it in the current situation. Too much opposition. A more detailed discussion of that is not relevant to this thread.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

In CA too, I can get a verified Vaccination card linked to the state database with a QR Code. It took them a month to verify my record but they issued it finally. In my wife's case it was issued same day she applied.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

No one knows of the state QR code system in CA. It was poorly implemented when I tried to access it, and if I showed it at a restaurant I imagine they would have no idea what it is. Everyone knows the paper cards onlee.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile ..Uttar Pradesh is expected to become the first state in the country to cross 100 Million vaccinations today/tomorrow.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

We're also regularly trending days where first:second dose ratio is 1.1:1 . The point is near where we'll see days with more second doses than first.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Date: 2021/9/23 7PM: Per PIB dot Gov
Total Vaccinations: 840,821,190 (Delta = 7,474,514)
Cumulative 1st dose administered = 622,419,377 (66% of adults)
Cumulative 2nd dose administered = 218,401,813 (23% of adults)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

September now aggregates 190 million doses, exceeding August with another week left. Should finish in the 245-260 million range.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

8AM IST 24 SEP 2021:
84,15,18,026 (+72,20,642)

62,29,02,393 1st dose
21,86,15,633 2nd dose

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

What is the monthly production of covaxin? Any current sources. The last news from 2 September money control article is the it was 21 million doses for the month of August.

Indian immunologicals was projected to produce 25 million doses per month from August. But the numbers don't appear to have been added for August report.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Unless there are approvals granted for using a different vaccine, quite a bit of Covishield production will have to go towards booster doses.

CDC Statement on ACIP Booster Recommendations
people aged 18-64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting may receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine at least 6 months after their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series, based on their individual benefits and risks
MHRA statement
I am pleased to confirm that the COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer and AstraZeneca can be used as safe and effective booster doses.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Date: 2021/9/24 7PM: Per PIB dot Gov
Total Vaccinations: 848,280,511 (Last 24 Hrs = 7,459,321)
Cumulative 1st dose administered = 626,727,242 (67% of adults)
Cumulative 2nd dose administered = 221,553,269 (24% of adults)