Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Amber G. »

Interesting to see this article in ToI today :
(Some thing already posted in BRF :) )
Omicron-driven third wave likely early 2022: IIT-Kanpur prof :!: ..
..If the available statistics of the new coronavirus variant, Omicron, is taken into account, it is likely that it would spread in the country and the third wave could set in early months of next year..
..The indications so far suggest that the Omicron variant of coronavirus spreads faster than the Delta variant. But, is this variant deadlier than the Delta variant, meaning will more people be needing hospitalisation (due to Omicron), cannot be commented upon now because the data which has emerged from South Africa and some other countries, all those people there infected with Omicron, have mild infection and are not severely infected.

...Chances are very high that Omicron would spread in our country and since it is known to spread faster than the Delta variant, it would spread. ... third wave could set in the early months of next year [February per brf post] and reach its peak after which it would gradually subside. But it appears that the third wave would not be as lethal as the second wave of Covid.

As per initial reports, it is being believed that Omicron can bypass the immunity developed after getting vaccinated, but this is yet to be substantiated. The symptoms for this infection (Omicron) suggest that it is not able to bypass the natural immunity ... If this is true, then it appears that Omicron will not have much impact on the Indian population because almost 80% people in India have developed natural immunity against Covid. Other than this, a large population here (India) has got vaccinated. If these two aspects are kept in mind, it seems Omicron won’t be able to make much impact on Indian people.
Keeping all statistics in view, it does not appear that there would be high demand for oxygen or hospital beds like it happened during the second wave. The symptoms that we see now suggest that there may not be high demand for oxygen. But, it is important that one should remain extra vigilant. Wear a mask because a mask can prevent a person from getting infected. Those who have not got themselves vaccinated, should take the jab as early as possible. Those who have taken only the first dose, should hurry up and complete their vaccination course.
I do agree with all that!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sharing a youtube video -- A discussion of the Omicron variant -- in Telugu! By -- Prof Vidyasagar (IITH and member of SUTRA team). For those, whose Telugu may be rusty -- the summary points, I have posted in a few posts before.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

My travels and travails during this pandemic. For information for anyone who is brave or foolish enough take the journey to India.
My flight to India is from SFO via YVR at 4:50 pm. I timed my covid test at 5:30 pm on Friday (my wife's was done at 5:15). Our negative results came at 12 noon on Saturday (less than 24 hours). We connect to Delhi flight at 10 pm from YVR. I wondered if that will cause any problem as we will not meet the 72 hour window in YVR. Obviously we don't. We got our boarding passes from here to YVR and then to Delhi and baggage checked through. We will be spending 4 hours at YVR and will be spending time at the airport only. I just could not find any info about the 72 hour window and connecting flights from Indian Gov websites. But found a CDC guidance which said it will be 96 hours for connecting flights. At Delhi we will be taking a connecting flight to Vadodara where there does not seem to be quarantine yet. We are hoping we are not part of the 2% at Delhi who needs to be tested. Looking at some of the photos of Delhi airport it appears to be a horror show. Will post from Delhi what transpires. BTW we did take another test at Walgreens on Saturday at 9:30 am as a back up. But so far we have not heard from them.

Right now relaxing with a glass of Chardonnay in the lounge.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I did the journey right before omicron. Via twitter communication with Delhi airport officials, I found out that the 72 hour window applies from the connecting flight (DXB in my case) and *not* the original point of departure. However, I don't recall anyone checking in India or at the connecting flight. Also, no one really looked at our vaccine certificates or any of the other documents in India. I spent a significant amount of time researching everything and was well prepared. Maybe they could sense that and didn't bother to look into it further. DXB was horrendous with large groups of people not wearing any masks. No action was taken by the airport officials at any point.

Of course all the rules have changed since omicron and my experience might not be relevant anymore.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

My original route was through Warsaw, Poland. But we realized that if we go through Europe we have to be tested at Delhi before we are allowed to take a connecting flight. So I changed it via YVR. They issued our boarding passes YVR - DEL at SFO. YVR is practically deserted. When we entered a lounge only two of us are in it. Will post from DEL.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^Hope you have a great time -- My only advice is make sure a good Mask (N95) is always worn properly while in a plane / airport etc.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I hope the enough Covishield stocks will cover booster shots if necessary...again not sure what the thought process of GoI is wrt booster shots. Many older folks & HCWs are beyond or about to cross the 6-8 months time frame since their 2nd shot.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Another Christmas party outbreak—
Hospital staff in Spain held a Christmas party at a restaurant Rightwards arrow 68 ICU nurses later tested positive for COVID19, from 173 people attendees. Everyone had a negative antigen test or had a booster shot (per Reuters)

68 ICU nurses tested positive for COVID-19 after going to their hospital Christmas party

Will follow.. But there are *many* such parties resulted into incredible amount of infections.

Norway party - (which I posted before) - the count is more than 120 - last verified report - (Originally about 100 out of 120 -- later many in who were in the same hotel).
(Mostly mild cases - many (not all). confirmed Omicron -

Similar reports from other parts of Europe --
Large parties to be avoided (even if you are fully vaccinated).
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59565670
scramble, chaos to give third dose in UK. Maths models showing peak of nth wave in January. However no one has the courage to ask why is pandemic still ravaging with everyone (nearly) X2 doses vaccinated.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

From Delhi. Absolutely no problem. No crowds. Immigration took all of 10 minutes. Customs, just walk through green channel. No crowds. But real screw up (probably at YVR) is the time it took us to collect baggage - more than an hour. Our baggage was probably loaded first at YVR and so it arrived practically last at Delhi. That is the only place we saw crowds. All in all a pleasant trip so far. At Delhi someone glanced at our Suvidha papers and stamped it. No one checked our vac card. These were checked before we got our boarding passes at SFO.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

IndraD wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59565670
scramble, chaos to give third dose in UK. Maths models showing peak of nth wave in January. However no one has the courage to ask why is pandemic still ravaging with everyone (nearly) X2 doses vaccinated.
My ten year old granddaughter gave me the answer to your question. The very first vaccine was administered on 8/12/2020. The recipient was Margaret Keenan in Coventry. She had her booster in March 2021, some ten months ago. Thus she and many of the first in the queue have reducing immunity and most have received a third shot.

The virus meanwhile, has mutated into a more infectious variant, though its may not be as lethal (jury still out) which is why the vaccine is not as effective as before. The estimate is that the Pfizer vaccine is much less effective against the Omicron variant , again this is anectdotal.

The only people happy are the vaccine makers who are working on new vaccines, to flog at higher prices.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

dear sir
i work in clinical areas of hospital with covid patients, I am aware of these details. However my Q is immunity is not that simple. one would think pfizer n all will elicit long lasting immunity at least partially through memory T cells, cell mediated immunity, where as we see scientists whining about spike proteins & associated antibodies all the time. In the absence of robust explnataion one sees them turning into booster salesmen unable to guage chasm & breath of mutations.
Even if it changes surface property one booster in a year should be enough where we are being recommended one booster/day .
Wish someone explained that to us!
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 153327.cms
SII to reduce covishield production by half due to govt not placing orders
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Fully vaccinated count crossed 500 million on Thursday.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

The researchers are predicting 2.4 days doubling for Omicron in England based on their studies. They expect it to be the dominant strain in matter of weeks. and also mention that booster shot for Pfizer has shown 75% effectiveness in reducing symptomatic disease.

Dr Rosanna C Barnard - Research Fellow in Infectious Disease Modelling
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

small trials from UK suggesting 3rd booster dose is the key against Omicron. these studies show antibodies protection against Omicron from AZ/Oxford more than 6 months after 2nd dose is 0 but can be enhanced to 70% with booster. No study how covaxin or naturally infected will fare against Omicron.
CMC Vellore is recruiting volunteers to gauge antobodies after covaxin 2nd dose and if 3rd dose would be needed
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

The U.S. is averaging about 1,260 daily Covid-19 deaths, an almost forgotten threat
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/time-to-a ... e-boosters
Why I Think mRNA Vaccines Are Not The Best Choice For Booster Doses
There are areas on the surface of the virus that present a suitable target for attack, and in the case of the SARS-COV2 virus, this area is the spike, or S-protein.

The S-protein consists of 1,273 genetic sequences. The T-cells produce antibodies mainly targeting a specific area of the S-protein known as Receptor Binding Domain (RBD).

Treatment modalities such as monoclonal antibodies also target this area of the virus. And so do vaccines. All vaccines are, therefore, designed so that the body sees and identifies the S-protein as a foreign intruder that needs to be cleared.

The body does exactly the same when faced with the real thing as it does with a harmless impostor.

The ways in which the S-protein can present itself to our immune system, therefore, can be listed as below:

Infection with SARS-COV2 virus,

Injecting a purified and mellowed down spike protein via inoculation, or

Make the body manufacture the S-protein briefly.

While conventional vaccines follow the second of the above listed paths, mRNA vaccines follow the third.

Covishield/AstraZeneca — the S-protein is delivered via a harmless adenovirus (vector) that injects the protein into the cell, provoking the formation of antibodies and collection of data for use against future infections.

Covaxin/Sinopharm/Coronavac — the virus is basically killed with substances such as formalin and the inactivated “virion” is purified, stabilised and presented to the body, which forms antibodies and collects data for use against future infections.

Pfizer/Moderna — a messenger (mRNA) is injected into the body that instructs the protein synthesis mechanism of the cell to manufacture the SARS-COV2 S-protein segment including the RBD with minor modifications to stabilise the segment and avoid overstimulation of the immune system.

The mRNA then disappears. The body then develops antibodies against this faux S-protein segment.
Early studies on the mRNA vaccines suggested a robust T-cell and B-cell response for developing immunity. However, later studies are showing that this is not the case.

While the B-cell response is robust and also dose-dependent, recent studies are suggesting that the T-cell response has not been adequate and in some cases was absent.

More worryingly, a study published in Science suggested that the T-cell response is attenuated (suppressed) after vaccination with mRNA vaccines. This has direct implications for medium and long-term immunity.

As opposed to this, studies with AstraZeneca vaccine have shown robust T-cell immunity following vaccination. The mechanism for this has also been identified. A study published in the British Medical Journal also showed that T-cell response was much higher after vaccination with AstraZeneca vaccine as compared to Pfizer vaccine.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Can someone with medical background comment on this?
Clucky @Clucky92864053
Starting in March 2020, I read every paper on Pub Med on Sars1 and started following autopsies. Once it was clear that COVID is also a coagulation disorder, I did protein homology BLASTs. Spike is the cause. Why do you package the cause of clots into a Syringe without study first?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

I see new cases popping in India. It's just a trickle now. Any news on Booster/Children policy?

Last edited by vijayk on 14 Dec 2021 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Amber G.

7 Days no post. Miss reading and getting information that helps all of us. Kindly do the necessary.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

vijayk wrote:https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/time-to-a ... e-boosters
Why I Think mRNA Vaccines Are Not The Best Choice For Booster Doses
Infection with SARS-COV2 virus,

Injecting a purified and mellowed down spike protein via inoculation, or

Make the body manufacture the S-protein briefly.

While conventional vaccines follow the second of the above listed paths, mRNA vaccines follow the third.

Covishield/AstraZeneca — the S-protein is delivered via a harmless adenovirus (vector) that injects the protein into the cell, provoking the formation of antibodies and collection of data for use against future infections.

Pfizer/Moderna — a messenger (mRNA) is injected into the body that instructs the protein synthesis mechanism of the cell to manufacture the SARS-COV2 S-protein segment including the RBD with minor modifications to stabilise the segment and avoid overstimulation of the immune system.

I am not sure this is an accurate representation of how the vaccines actually work. Both Covidshield and mRNA vaccines causes our own bodies to make the spike protein. In that sense "Injecting a purified 'mellowed down' spike protein" is not how they work. I have no idea what "mellowed down" even means. There are vaccines which inject spike proteins directly - an example is Novavax, where the spike protein is made in moth cells, purified, and then injected.

Both Covidshield and mRNA vaccines causes our own bodies to make the spike protein. The mechanism by which they make the body do it is different. In covidshield, the spike protein gene is merged with a chimp cold virus, and the body is injected with this virus. The virus gets into our cells, and causes our cells to make the spike protein. Note that the vaccine itself does not have any Spike protein. mRNA works in a similar way -- Instead of a chimp cold virus, they inject messenger RNA, which causes our cells to make spike protein. In that sense they are similar "Do not inject the virus or the spike protein, inject something that makes the body itself make spike protein". In that sense the S-protein is delivered via a harmless adenovirus (vector) that injects the protein into the cell is not quite correct. It should be the gene to make S-protein is delivered via a harmless adenovirus (vector) that injects the gene into the cell, the cell makes the S-protein is a more accurate statement.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 265313.cms

In India booster dose for immunocompromised group only. Booster not necssary for everyone: experts
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/horowitz ... vid-deaths
Horowitz: Studies show an aggressive vitamin D campaign could have prevented nearly all COVID deaths
Not only did the German researchers find a linear relationship between vitamin D levels and mortality from COVID, they found essentially zero morbidity for those with a D level above 50 ng/mL. The reason this study is so important relative to the dozens of others tracking D levels with COVID outcomes is because it measured the levels months before the patients got COVID as well as after the infection onset. “In most studies, the vitamin D level was determined several days after the onset of infection; therefore, a low vitamin D level may be the result and not the trigger of the course of infection,” note the authors.

This study, however, followed 1,601 hospitalized patients, 784 who had their vitamin D levels measured within a day after admission and 817 whose vitamin D levels were known before infection. As an adjunct to this sample, researchers also analyzed the long-term average vitamin D3 levels documented for 19 countries. The observed median vitamin D value over all collected study cohorts was 23.2 ng/mL, which is considered insufficient. The results were remarkable.

“At a threshold level of 30 ng/mL, mortality decreases considerably,” found the authors. “In addition, our analysis shows that the correlation for the combined datasets intersects the axis at approximately 50 ng/mL, which suggests that this vitamin D3 blood level may prevent any excess mortality. These findings are supported not only by a large infection study, showing the same optimum but also by the natural levels observed in traditional people living in the region where humanity originated from that were able to fight down most (not all) infections in most (not all) individuals.”
We’ve had 20 months to get our levels over 50, and certainly at least over 30. I had my levels increase by approximately 50 ngs/mL in a half year. Had the public been doing this at the same time, most deaths could have been avoided. Those with absorption problems could have been given the active form of D – either calcifediol or calcitriol – to raise their levels, bypassing the liver’s metabolic process very quickly. Studies have shown that almost anyone hospitalized with low levels but given the active form of D did not progress to the ICU thereafter.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Will wait for 2-3 weeks if this deaths are like this ...
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

UK
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Hindustan Syringes and Medical Devices Ltd (HMD), India’s largest syringes & needles manufacturing company, has been asked to shut down its factory ‘voluntarily’ along with other over 128 large factories of Faridabad, as part of a pollution-control drive undertaken by authorities in the National Capital Region (NCR). HMD contributes to over 66% of syringe supplies in India for curative healthcare and immunisation.

Largest syringe maker shut under NCR pollution drive

Is the govt asleep, is there no one awake on the bridge, is the ship of state sailing with the crazy wokes in control
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

India’s billionaire Poonawallas pledge $66m to Oxford University

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/ ... university

Kudos to him but could somebody please shed light on why this money could not have instead been invested in Indian scientists?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:India’s billionaire Poonawallas pledge $66m to Oxford University

Kudos to him but could somebody please shed light on why this money could not have instead been invested in Indian scientists?
how would their kith and kin get admissions in oxford otherwise, no

surely not by merit onlee.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

chetak wrote:Hindustan Syringes and Medical Devices Ltd (HMD), India’s largest syringes & needles manufacturing company, has been asked to shut down its factory ‘voluntarily’ along with other over 128 large factories of Faridabad, as part of a pollution-control drive undertaken by authorities in the National Capital Region (NCR). HMD contributes to over 66% of syringe supplies in India for curative healthcare and immunisation.

Is the govt asleep, is there no one awake on the bridge, is the ship of state sailing with the crazy wokes in control
Last heard the unit had been restarted after some intervention.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Thakur_B wrote:
chetak wrote:Hindustan Syringes and Medical Devices Ltd (HMD), India’s largest syringes & needles manufacturing company, has been asked to shut down its factory ‘voluntarily’ along with other over 128 large factories of Faridabad, as part of a pollution-control drive undertaken by authorities in the National Capital Region (NCR). HMD contributes to over 66% of syringe supplies in India for curative healthcare and immunisation.

Last heard the unit had been restarted after some intervention.
The "pfizer" lobby that is so very active in India, and hell bent on sabotage, is alive and well

They need to be neutralized, by public castration, in a way that exposes their dirty role
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

<Deleted. Duplicate>
Last edited by disha on 16 Dec 2021 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Is my understanding correct? If omicron is turning out infectious but not fatal, it is a virus that is becoming endemic like seasonal flu?

Looking at the UK chart, the infection is very high but the causalities are low.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Hindustan Syringes gets nod to restart production in partial reprieve
Haryana's Commission for Air Quality Management allows it to run only eight hours a day on weekdays, and not at all on weekends
And, in 2020

Syringe manufacturers urge PM to stamp out Chinese competition
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:India’s billionaire Poonawallas pledge $66m to Oxford University

Lisa ji,

Here is a more likely possibility, one that I found on the net

Oxford literally did the R&D and licensed the vaccine to Serum on extremely permissive terms. This is just Serum saying thank you.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

interestingly UK itself got rid of Oxford vaccine after first round and giving Pfizer only as booster. While AZ/Oxford became deafult vaccine of poorer nations. West paying jaziya to US by prioritising Pfizer.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I am surprised that we have not expanded the eligibility for vaccination yet. Large part of Indian population is under 18.