Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Uttam
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Uttam »

Another data point about declining vaccine efficacy.

With Fourth Wave Raging, Germany Agrees Booster Shots for All

Germany used very few AstraZeneca's vaccine and mostly used Pfizer's vaccine.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Worth reading an article from MIT Medical - If you are considering getting a booster..

I can get a booster; SHOULD I?
(I have gotten a booster and so are all in my household who are eligible)
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Biological E's vaccine is expected to be granted EUA by either end of Nov or mid Dec latest...SII's Covovax is expected to receive nod in January. BB's nasal vaccine is undergoing Ph-2 trails currently and hopefully by mid of next month they will have enough data to proceed to Ph-3. I hope GoI allows citizens (at least elderly) who are interested in getting a booster shot or a new vaccine, to get one on their own expense. Exports can be prioritised but I am hoping that come Jan/Feb of 2022, GoI will ease its control on vaccine regulations to general public.

I guess next on the list of vaccination in India are kids...
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Zynda wrote:Biological E's vaccine is expected to be granted EUA by either end of Nov or mid Dec latest...SII's Covovax is expected to receive nod in January. BB's nasal vaccine is undergoing Ph-2 trails currently and hopefully by mid of next month they will have enough data to proceed to Ph-3. I hope GoI allows citizens (at least elderly) who are interested in getting a booster shot or a new vaccine, to get one on their own expense. Exports can be prioritised but I am hoping that come Jan/Feb of 2022, GoI will ease its control on vaccine regulations to general public.

I guess next on the list of vaccination in India are kids...
Yes, I hope they open up the booster to all those eligible. Many of us need them or know others who do. It will have a significant spinoff on social and economic mobility as well.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

Pfizer vaccine trial and approval process
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

The American far right/Anti Vax movement has decided to adopt India as an example to further their belief in Ivermectin over Vaccines.

I remember UP using Ivermectin but how effective was it? And are we still using it to treat active cases or is this another case of misinformation.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile -
Russia's COVID-19 cases hit another one-day record as the country struggles to contain a wave of infections and deaths that has persisted for more than a month. The national coronavirus task force reported 41,335 new cases since the previous day. http://apne.ws/efYWNUu
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

AkshaySG wrote:
I remember UP using Ivermectin but how effective was it? And are we still using it to treat active cases or is this another case of misinformation.
I posted this (< link >) before which, among other things, documents/analyses lots of data about UP's handling of Covid-19. It is a detailed (100 pages+) report so helpful in many ways.

It documents the use of Ivermectin use in UP, but short answer is the data does NOT support / advocate the use of this drug for Covid.

US FDA actually tweeted once - This deworming medicine is quite helpful, and commonly used, if one is a cow but not very helpful for Covid in human.

(We were using this medicine for our dogs many years ago (1990's). It used to be daily pill pretty well known and in common use .. and was prescribed by all vets ..but almost no one uses if for dogs or heart worms any more.. there are some cases where this drug is prescribed for some parasites in animals and for humans too, but is not helpful for covid in anyway. Doctors, I trust and who know more about situation in India has this to say - This is a terrible exploitation - the medicine does help people in poor places where water quality is bad as it kills the parasites and make people better - and does seem to help in those conditions - but not for the reason for treating covid)
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

There was an AIIMS study fir usage of ivermectin as prophylaxis, AIIMS Bhuvaneshvar, I think, which showed it's effectiveness over a sample size of 1200 staff.

The reasoning was that it inhibits certain proteins / carriers commonly used by disease vectors. With the advent of vaccines, use of ivermectin becomes a moot point.
Anoop.G
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anoop.G »

I am currently visiting family in Lucknow (UP) for Diwali... As I understand from my BIL (Sr Director @ CSIR), the family docs still prescribe Ivermectin (12mg OD x5) at the earliest sign.
AkshaySG wrote:The American far right/Anti Vax movement has decided to adopt India as an example to further their belief in Ivermectin over Vaccines.

Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Take this FWIW...heard from someone who is senior in Manipal group, GoI is waiting to see if there will be any surge in cases due to Diwali...I guess this will influence GoI's decision on booster shots.

Also couple of pills for Covid is coming up...currently the pill from Merck is ridiculously expensive ($700 for 5 day course)...but these are great advancements.

The Era Of Anti-Covid Pills: What You Need To Know
Early October, Merck said it was seeking authorisation in the United States for its pill molnupiravir, and Pfizer followed suit on Friday with paxlovid.

They are both anti-virals that act by reducing the virus's ability to replicate, slowing down the disease.

Both companies say clinical trials showed a strong reduction in the risk of hospitalisation.

Those who took molnupiravir saw that risk diminish by 50 per cent and those who took paxlovid by nearly 90 per cent, although direct comparisons of these efficacy rates should be avoided because of the different study protocols.
Pfizer seems a little "arrogant" when it come to emerging economies due to massive demands/profits from developed countries but hopefully we will be able to negotiate something with Pfizer to manf them pills here (if they are proved to be effective)...
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Centre places purchase order for one crore doses of Zydus Cadila's needle-free Covid vaccine
NEW DELHI: Zydus Cadila's three-dose Covid vaccine ZyCoV-D is set to be included in the national anti-coronavirus inoculation programme this month with the Centre placing a purchase order with the Ahmedabad-based firm for one crore doses, official sources said on Sunday.
The Union Health Ministry is learnt to have given the go ahead to initiate the preparatory work for the introduction of the indigenously developed world's first DNA-based Covid jab, which in all probability will be given to adults initially under the country's vaccination drive, sources in the know of developments said.
ZyCoV-D is the first vaccine cleared by India's drug regulator for inoculation of those aged 12 years and above.
"The Centre has already placed a purchase order with Zydus Cadila for supply of one crore doses of ZyCoV-D, each costing around Rs 358 excluding taxes, at the earliest. This price includes the cost of a disposable painless jet applicator which has to be used for administering each dose," an official source said.
"The vaccine in all probability will be given to adults initially because of limited production capacity," the source said.
Zydus Cadila is in a position to provide one crore doses of ZyCoV-D per month, company officials are learnt to have conveyed to the ministry.
For administering to adults, frontline workers and vaccinators will be provided a brief training for using the needle-free pharma jet application in actual field settings.
The three doses of ZyCoV-D are to be administered 28 days apart, with each dose comprising a shot in both arms.
ZyCoV-D received emergency use authorisation from the drug regulator on August 20.
Meanwhile, a comprehensive programme for paediatric immunisation including developing a priority list of comorbidities is being worked out by the NTAGI (National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation) for the launch of ZyCoV-D and Covaxin.
As for the emergency use approval for Bharat Biotech's Covaxin in the 2 to 18 years age group by the Drugs Controller General of India, it is under expert opinion and evaluation, official sources said.
The Subject Expert Committee (SEC) on COVID-19 of the Central Drug Authority on October 12 had recommended granting emergency use authorisation to Covaxin for children and adolescents in the 2 to 18 years age group with certain conditions.
At present, every citizen who is 18 years or above is eligible for the vaccination drive.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I am quite impressed with India’s competence in vaccines. They have done what perhaps only a super power can accomplish.

This demonstration of capability and management has implications for India’s brand far beyond the Wuhan virus.

They ain’t sitting on their thumbs.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

AkshaySG wrote:The American far right/Anti Vax movement has decided to adopt India as an example to further their belief in Ivermectin over Vaccines.

The right wing nuts in the US miss the point that the goal is to reduce the viral load until a vaccine can be administered. It is not a replacement of vaccines. In India, for the most part, politics and crony capitalism hasn't crept in. I met one anti-vaxer who was Googling around for data between UP, TN, and KL. Just about a little over a year ago, people like Vivek Murthy the US Surgeon General expressed doubt and efficacy of vaccines since Operation Warp Speed was commissioned by the Trump administration, and he refused to acknowledge the trial data.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Pfizer seems a little "arrogant"

Old story from famous Isaac Asimov's experience at a Pfizer job interview. Not good. (From his auto-biography)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

November 8 7PM PIB data: Day 297
Cumulative 1st dose administered: 741,942,904
Cumulative 2nd dose administered: = 348,320,761
Total = 1,090,263,665
(About 80% of all adults have received at least one dose. 37% are fully vaccinated)

Also: Government orders 1 crore doses of Zydus vaccine
Last edited by Amber G. on 08 Nov 2021 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Also, 27.4 million doses through the first 8 days of November or 3.4 million per day, which is extremely good given peak festival season and the enormous retail sales data which means people went out to shop. Now that Diwali is done and the accumulated supply is a stratospheric 157 million, there will hopefully be a push to do more big vaccination days.

They're getting to the point where it's become hard to get many first doses. India is 36% urban. 80% of adults have at least one dose. Almost every urban area is saturated when it comes to first dose recipients, so there's now an incrementally greater cost to add to first dose counts.

Incremental first dose boost will come when we authorize vaccinations to children. This is currently pending review, with BioE and Covaxin data having been presented to DGI: Wait for Covaxin's Covid-19 jab for children gets longer
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile good news for travelers to USA:
U.S. Drops Travel Ban - After 20 Months
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I hope India will also simplify regulations for international tourists soon. Make it mandatory to have vaccination and test 72 hours prior and drop all the exceptions. Right now it's a confusing mess which is hurting tourism.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Why is the caseload in Russia so high? Weren't they first in world to launch vaccine program?
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Thakur_B wrote:Why is the caseload in Russia so high? Weren't they first in world to launch vaccine program?
Vaccine hesitation. Only 30% of the population has taken the 1st shot.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Looks like Romania is reeling under covid

Morgues, hospitals struggle with COVID-19 deaths in Romania
Hundreds of people have been dying each day for the past two months in Romania which has been among the hardest-hit in the current virus onslaught raging through Central and Eastern European nations, where far fewer people have been vaccinated than in Western Europe.

Experts have blamed the soaring deaths on the low vaccination rate in Romania where about 40% of the population has been fully vaccinated - far lower than the European Union's average of 75%.

The low rates here and elsewhere in the region are believed to be the result of a general mistrust in the authorities and institutions, education gaps and deeply-rooted anti-vaccination movements, that even include some top doctors.

"We are exhausted financially ... physically and psychologically," lamented Cirstoiu "All of these are caused by one thing at the end of the day: the population's inability to comprehend that they need to get vaccinated."

He insisted that "had 70% of the population been vaccinated, we wouldn't have had a fourth wave."

At the hospital, even an emergency waiting room has been converted into a COVID-19 area, sealed off by a plastic sheet.

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

rajkumar wrote:
Thakur_B wrote:Why is the caseload in Russia so high? Weren't they first in world to launch vaccine program?
Vaccine hesitation. Only 30% of the population has taken the 1st shot.
They don't have enough vaccines either. Cumulative Covaxin production has already outstripped Sputnik output. And Covaxin now has a WHO EUL which Sputnik does not.

This is the extent of the greatness of what we have accomplished - a lower middle income country developing multiple successful vaccines, producing them at world beating scale, and now at over 80% of adults with first dose done and rapidly catching up on second doses at the rate of 4m second doses a day now - a number that will rise as the July/Aug/Sept first dose bulge becomes eligible for dose 2.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

"ERs Are Swamped With Seriously Ill Patients, Although Many Don’t Have Covid"
Kate Wells, Michigan Radio [partnered with National Public Radio, NPR]
October 29, 2021

https://khn.org/news/article/hospital-e ... -patients/
“We are hearing from members in every part of the country,” said Dr. Lisa Moreno, president of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine. “The Midwest, the South, the Northeast, the West … they are seeing this exact same phenomenon.”

Although the number of ER visits returned to pre-covid levels this summer, admission rates, from the ER to the hospital’s inpatient floors, are still almost 20% higher. That’s according to the most recent analysis by the Epic Health Research Network, which pulls data from more than 120 million patients across the country.

“It’s an early indicator that what’s happening in the ED is that we’re seeing more acute cases than we were pre-pandemic,” said Caleb Cox, a data scientist at Epic.

Less acute cases, such as people with health issues like rashes or conjunctivitis, still aren’t going to the ER as much as they used to. Instead, they may be opting for an urgent care center or their primary care doctor, Cox explained. Meanwhile, there has been an increase in people coming to the ER with more serious conditions, like strokes and heart attacks.
"Why is COVID causing vascular damage? Israeli study offers answers"
Rossella Tercatin, "The Jerusalem Post," November 3, 2021

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellne ... ers-683937
Among other symptoms, some COVID-19 patients have suffered from severe vascular damage, with physicians unable to understand what mechanism triggered this particular complication.

Now, a team of Tel Aviv University researchers have identified the five proteins of the 29 that form the virus which are responsible for damaging blood vessels.

“We see a very high incidence of vascular disease and blood clotting, for example, stroke and heart attack among COVID patients,” says Dr. Ben Maoz, lead author of the study published in the journal eLife.

“We tend to think of COVID as primarily a respiratory disease but the truth is that coronavirus patients are up to three times more likely to have a stroke or heart attack,” he added. “All the evidence shows that the virus severely damages the blood vessels or the endothelial cells that line the blood vessels. However, to this day, the virus has been treated as one entity. We wanted to find out which proteins in the virus are responsible for this type of damage.”
Some people say that the rise in heart attacks in the U.S. is a side effect of the vaccines. No one knows for sure ... This is something to watch very carefully.

Personally, I'm wary regarding the vaccines ... I'm content to follow the advice of the FLCCC Alliance (https://covid19criticalcare.com/).
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

The randomized trial of the Pfizer vaccine for children age 5-11 is published NEJM
today. The data indicate very high efficacy (91%, 95% CI 68,98)) a strong immune response and absence of any serious side effects among 2,268 participants.

(Side/personal note: Glad that all my grand-children were in Pfizer trial - the study is unblinded so at present we have all of them fully vaccinated (They got real thing and not placebo).
(some younger kids (3 year old) also are in the trial - hopefully will know when the study gets unblinded).
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

Avarachan wrote: Some people say that the rise in heart attacks in the U.S. is a side effect of the vaccines. No one knows for sure ... This is something to watch very carefully.

Personally, I'm wary regarding the vaccines ... I'm content to follow the advice of the FLCCC Alliance (https://covid19criticalcare.com/).
This seems like textbook miss information at worst or malicious misrepresentation at best. This FLCCC is a fringe doctors group and I urge members here not to fall for this bull shit. I'm not sure why Avarachan is peddling this nonsense here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Lin ... e_Alliance
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I don't really understand why Kerala still has half of the caseload in India. They have a pretty high vaccination coverage by now and I find it hard to believe that Keralites are being more lax in following the rules at this point. Also, after almost 2 months of having the most cases, I would have expected that most of the state is exposed to covid at similar levels as rest of India.
madhu
BRFite

Post by madhu »

Amber G. wrote:The randomized trial of the Pfizer vaccine for children age 5-11 is published NEJM
today. The data indicate very high efficacy (91%, 95% CI 68,98)) a strong immune response and absence of any serious side effects among 2,268 participants.

(Side/personal note: Glad that all my grand-children were in Pfizer trial - the study is unblinded so at present we have all of them fully vaccinated (They got real thing and not placebo).
(some younger kids (3 year old) also are in the trial - hopefully will know when the study gets unblinded).
can you comment on the data that this guy has put up. he feels that the data is not impressive.
https://youtu.be/iYOaebLhuuI

the description has excel sheet
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Some people say that the rise in heart attacks in the U.S. is a side effect of the vaccines. No one knows for sure ... This is something to watch very carefully.
Some people also say that the earth is flat and sun goes around earth.

Moderators: Pleas delete his post and mine too, thanks.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile: SUTRA team's article in Q&A Form: About vaccination and related issues:

Booster Doses? Vaccination For Children? SUTRA Team Answers Your Questions

(If it is okay with Brf and there is interest - the article (which may need subscription) can be quoted here)..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Zynda wrote:Amber G, what is the prognosis for India & ROW with respect to Delta+ variant? Are SUTRA folks looking in to capturing possible effects of Delta+ variants?
Here is what they say:
...The claim is that AY.4.2 has a 17 per cent transmission advantage in the UK over the main Delta lineage there (AY.4). The secondary attack rate is also slightly higher. However, data from other European countries do not show such an advantage, and there are other possible explanations for the UK data than truly greater infectivity. For the moment, AY.4.2 is not present in significant numbers in India. In any case, given high immunity to Delta in the Indian population after the second wave, we don’t expect any of the current lineages to be a major concern for a third wave.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The 7-day moving average for the US is swinging back up to over 72,000 new infections and over 1,000 deaths per day. The 7-day moving average death rate has been above 1,000/day for since mid August. Some states like Florida and Oklahoma are not reporting daily figures, but are reporting only a few times per week.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Saip you are welcome to refute him.
What do we gain by suppressing?
I heard about secondary inflammation in older people leading to problems.
My doctor says if you are in vulnerable age you need to know the risk and choose.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Amber G. wrote:Meanwhile: SUTRA team's article in Q&A Form: About vaccination and related issues:

Booster Doses? Vaccination For Children? SUTRA Team Answers Your Questions

(If it is okay with Brf and there is interest - the article (which may need subscription) can be quoted here)..

And plz subscribe to Swarajya if you can
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Booster dose after 6 months of 2nd Covaxin shot ideal: Bharat Biotech CMD Krishna Ella
NEW DELHI: A booster dose would be ideal at six months after receiving the second dose of the anti-Covid vaccine, Bharat Biotech CMD Krishna Ella said, adding a final decision was up to the government. Ella’s remarks at the Times Now Summit 2021 on Wednesay will further animate the discussion on the subject, as so far, the government and some experts are of the view that a booster dose is not urgent and ensuring full vaccination with two doses remains a priority. Some nations, though, have initiated booster doses for their elderly population.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Cryptic transmission of Delta in a hospital ward between vaccinated patients, beginning with an asymptomatic individual .
PCR cycle thresholds are shown
Delta were viral loads were >1000-fold that of earlier variants in this health system..
http://nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2113090
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Okay, commenting .: Looked at the video - not the whole but enough - not very impressed with "data" this guy put up.--The report /data is there in the link I gave and obviously scientists (including CDC/FDA) are quite satisfied.
Interesting part was the three 'adverse' reports in non-placebo group - *none* was related to vaccine. In one case (kid you not), the cause for hospital visit was that the child swallowed a penny and has to see the doctor... (All cases are monitored and every doctor visit etc is reported but swallowing a penny is not vaccine related ..:) )
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

vijayk wrote:

what about covaxin and covishield (AZ) ... any studies done?
There are various studies - among them a not yet published but soon to be published study conducted at THSTI (Translational Health Science and Technology Institute) and other institutions - show that even though the protective efficacy of Covishield against the Delta variant of the Covid virus was less than that against the original virus, the vaccine was highly effective in preventing moderate to severe disease possibly due to preserved T-cell responses... Some give the indication that after 6 months booster may be good but clear recommendations is not spelled out ..Anyway we will know more soon as things gets published.... (Wait for 2-3 weeks there will be something more posted here)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Raja wrote:I don't really understand why Kerala still has half of the caseload in India. They have a pretty high vaccination coverage by now and I find it hard to believe that Keralites are being more lax in following the rules at this point. Also, after almost 2 months of having the most cases, I would have expected that most of the state is exposed to covid at similar levels as rest of India.
Kerala continues to have about 2/3 of all cases in the country BUT the overall total has come down substantially (not only in nationwide but in Kerala too)..I dare say, relatively speaking, things are under control. (My interpretation some very rough explanation - In Kerala the 'reach' parameter (rho) was quite low (they were quite successful in not letting it spread geographically in the earlier period).. with more transmissive delta variant it spread fast (places which were untouched by pandemic before) and it is still finding place to spread. Sorry it is difficult to explain but it does mathematically fits with the model and can be explained -- does not indicate some new variant or some other new problem...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

My doctor says if you are in vulnerable age you need to know the risk and choose.
For perspective: Here is one statistics, which may help to "choose":

Some leading causes of death in the State of Texas
5. Homicide: 1,653
4. Drug overdose deaths: 2,989
3. Firearm deaths: 3,583
2. Accidents: 10,763
1. Deaths from COVID19 vaccine refusal s
(since June 1, 2021 even though vaccines widely available): 21,000

(Data on 2-5 from Texas DSHS website which takes you to CDC website for the year 2017. Deaths from COVID19 vaccine refusal based on COVID deaths in Texas since June 1 + findings that >85% of Covid deaths from unvaccinated.)
(Also informative article: Unvaccinated Texans make up vast majority of COVID-19 cases and deaths this year, new state data shows