Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by hnair »

Amber G, if you have issues with posts, report it. No commentary please as it adds even more noise
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Deans wrote:As per Burkha / Rana Ayyub and other paid sepoys, India should have lost 90% of its population last year itself and we should be at the Zombie Apocalypse stage now.
:D

Never thought i would be thankful for the slow pace of law in our country...

Nobody Can Be Forced To Get Vaccinated - Supreme Court
The Supreme Court on Monday held that no individual can be forced to get vaccinated and the right to bodily integrity of a person under Article 21 of the Constitution include the right to refuse vaccinate.

The Court also held that the vaccine mandates imposed by various state governments and other authorities in the context of COVID-19 pandemic are "not proportionate". The Court held so as no substantial data has been produced on record to show that the risk of transmission of COVID-19 virus from the unvaccinated persons are higher than from vaccinated persons.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:Admin note: Irrelevant commentary on forum and threads removed. Please use report function or Forum feedback thread.

1. Looks like immune escape of BA.2.12.1 (headed now toward US dominance) is quite substantial, more than BA.2, with little cross-immunity with BA.1, similar to BA.4 and BA.5, and causing serious concern about value of Omicron BA.1 booster vaccines effectiveness.
BA.2.12.1 is likely to be >40% by now ! (Per CDC data at: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... roportions

More at: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 0.489997v1
Please delete my original post completely. I can't delete it now and have zero interest in posting. Thanks in advance.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AmberG, Yes BA.2.12.1 is rising steadily since the week of 3/5/22.
Its showing exponential growth. And is masked by BA.2.
Haven't read any reports of it in the press.

Also, did you notice that
- BA.1.1(deep purple) dominant in Jan gets reduced by April end.
- B.1.1.529 (purple) is also quite dominant in Jan gets reduced by April end.
Looks like it is following Darwin the more survival the strain it drives out the weaker
or in other words, the dominant strain loses its virulence.

Looks like a 12-14 weeks cycle.
What do you think from a mathematical modeling point?
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 349479.cms

Usual 900M deaths in India and we're only talking to the ghosts of all our families in India vilaap has started. Everyone I know in Chennai must be dead and it is a ghost town only...(/sarc off)
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Ah as predicted, the WHO report is out. The resident house negro’s gleeful article is at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-60981318

Complete with usual rona dhona. No actual commentary though on how the numbers were arrived at, why they are valid and how the model is applicable. The articles own numbers range from 6x - 10x. If I were to produce an estimate of that variation at work, I would be fired for incompetence. Clearly at BBC, you get to be a columnist.

The shameless creature was peddling the theory of a fourth wave in March citing “IIT Kanpur” which Amberg rubbished. No wave yet, but no retraction by the resident Uncle Tom either.

Perhaps Amberg or someone can put up a technical rebuttaltk the WHoO methodology?
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

There is lot of data on WHO site. You can download it at
https://www.who.int/news/item/05-05-202 ... 0-and-2021

AFAIK governments in India do pay a compensation (50k?) to the family for each member who passed away from COVID. So there is very little incentive for under counting covid deaths ( I am sure babus do get a kcik back for recording a covid death). To get that benefit you need a Death Certificate.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

I dont understand how WHO cannot use govt estimates in its report. It is the govts of the world funding WHO !!
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Well, they used govt estimates from some governments, but not other. Very shady exercise.

The TOI article has a good explanation for why the WHO estimate is doubtful. Essentially they have extrapolated from models, and have not used the actual statistical data collected.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Amber G...I hope you continue to post Covid related news in this thread...its been quite useful...at least to me.

In early Jan, I read on Twitter about a group who had started a project to understand why Omicron is able to evade immunity provided by previous infections and/or vaccine. Hopefully some progress has been made!

Perhaps this is normal behaviour of flu like viruses to evolve so quickly but still it is quite astounding the speed at which Covid is evolving. The newer variants like BA.2.12.1 is apparently 25% more infectious over BA.2 which was around 25% more infectious over Omicron...

Here is a chart from here
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

tedros is at it again

high time that he was taught a lesson

India should reduce her participation in the global centralized programs and do it on a bilateral basis

It will eliminate countries like pakis and some others from leaching off and undeservedly benefitting from Indian contributions

xi and the other cheeni losers are unable to digest the fact that India keeps besting them time and time again, in a number of situations that have a global impact

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Let them inflate the figures, one day they will be used to extract reparations from China.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

VP of Pfizer arrested after a document dump. Twitter is ablaze with claims and counterclaims.

https://vancouvertimes.org/vp-of-pfizer ... ment-dump/
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

(Poof)

The above report is by Vancouver Times, known for satirical articles. Hence I deleted my post.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Oh oh, I had no idea. My bad. Bit like The Onion then. The thread though is full of anger from all sides.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

https://news.yahoo.com/chaos-apple-supp ... 06673.html

No other report but this outbreak looks quite serious. If true there's zero chance of CCP getting the better of this wave before all supply chains are disrupted.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

I'm surprised at how densely populated these facilities are. About 40,000 workers living in something like 36 acres including the manufacturing facilities. No wonder they're having trouble keeping it sanitized.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Chetakji that arrest report is fake
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Doctors Whats do we know about Shanghai lockdown?
Have we seen genomic data on this variant?
Is the variant same as North Korea outbreak?

AmberG if you are reading please participate.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tanaji wrote:Chetakji that arrest report is fake
sorry
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

when the WHO has a cheeni paymaster, the results are there for all to see.

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Japan is opening borders from June. There's a three tier classification of countries, which I find to be somewhat bogus but reflects the power of mRNA makers to set the agenda for booster doses:
Japan MoFA Update
Basically:
Blue Zone: Countries with mRNA vaccines and 3x doses. Most of western world.
Yellow Zone: Countries mostly using non-mRNA vaccines with typically mostly 2x doses. Includes India.
Red Zone: TSP and some company.

Functionally though, Indians should mostly fit the vaccine eligible Yellow tier, which has exactly the same rights as the Blue zone people. In fact their vaccine certificate requirement explicitly allows both Covishield and Covaxin (link). One glitch here it that it affects Indian under-18 folks who received Corbevax.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Strange. Afghanistan is in BLUE zone. Pakistan in RED. That makes my day.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

China is in Blue zone?! Must be to encourage Shanghainese to spend more in Japan … if Eleven allows them to travel !
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

The Japs still living up to their past designation of "honorary whites", eh? Free pass to most of the west despite a poorer record with mRNA vaccines, at least going by the US' performance, and we, with a far better record, get to join other yellowed nations. China getting into the blue bucket is only the icing on the cake, considering their recent pervasive lockdowns, which indicate the virus is far from endemic there. So the risk of new variants or infections coming from China is higher than from us, where the third wave is well in the past and life having returned to normal for months now. I guess every country's priorities show through these actions, words notwithstanding.

What us our designation of passengers from Japan, if any? Reciprocity, anyone?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

No one from China or Afghanistan is about to go to Japan right now. DEL-HND by Japan Airlines is still operating fine and I may take it later in summer during travel to both countries. Note that Japan does not yet accept general tourism - they only permit permanent residents and those with immediate family who are Japanese to enter, with the most recent opening being to limited tour package groups onlee.

There are a lot of things to be said about the Japanese rules but frankly the 3-zone classification is a minor hiccup . In fact they announced the 3-zone system days ago but didn’t actually mention which countries go in which zone until yesterday - which resulted in multiple US based Japanese I know with travel plans trying to contact the consulate and complain.

Their other rules so far have been atrociously complicated and arbitrary and Japanese citizens themselves were the ones most annoyed by them. We know Japanese families who recently traveled there and hated the procedures and complexity they were subject to. They have several terms for the tendency of their bureaucrats to make up nonsense .

Frankly I’m just glad they announced something. This half a**ed nature of their rule making is very predictable. Note that blue zone means nothing in terms of visa - everyone still needs a visa. Even US citizens with Japanese spouses. Not just that but one cannot offer US marriage certificate as proof - one has to get a recent copy of the koseki tohon (family register) copy to prove it. Only Japanese bureaucrats can still come up with this stuff - even we have gotten better at this sort of thing now.

Indian rules are here: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guidelines ... ry2022.pdf
MoHFW site has always kept the current version of guidelines. Ours are more sensible - and I can show you Japanese who’ll readily agree.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

The only large country that responded sensibly during the entire pandemic was India. Now it is the only country with working vaccines & processes thats making the pandemic to endemic & soft landing it.

This is a good article to read

California COVID surge: Infectious dise ... /11898901/
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

World Health Organisation’s “Pandemic Treaty” which was being pushed by Australia, UK, and US has been voted down.

Africa, Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa, Iran, Malaysia & Brazil, said they would rather exit WHO, than be part of the treaty.
Indeed!!

"The sovereignty of any state is not negotiable" and this treaty needs to be culled permanently and the authors identified and shamed publicly
WHO - Further update.
Alongside Africa other countries refusing the 'reforms' were Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa, Iran, Malaysia & Brazil, who said it would exit WHO altogether, rather than be subject to the new Treaty.
why are the britshits always part and parcel of any such poisonous "world domination schemes"

WHO Forced into Humiliating Backdown

May 30, 2022

Brilliant news out of Geneva today!

As most of you know, the World Health Assembly has spent the past 7 days considering Biden’s 13 controversial amendments to the International Health Regulations.

Official delegates from wealthy developed nations like Australia, the UK, and the US spoke in strong support of the amendments and urged other states to join them in signing away their countries’ sovereignty.

The first sign, however, that things might not be going the globalists' way, came on Wednesday, the 25th of May, which just happened to also be Africa Day.

Botswana read a statement on behalf of its 47 AFRO members, saying they would be collectively withholding their support for the ‘reforms’, which many African members were very concerned about.

Multiple other countries also said they had reservations over the changes and would not be supporting them either.

These included Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa, Iran and Malaysia. Brazil in particular said it would exit WHO altogether, rather than allow its population to be made subject to the new amendments.

In the end, the WHO and its wealthy nation supporters were forced to back down.

They have not given up though – far from it. Instead, they did what they always do and 'pivoted'.

At their request, a new working group was convened to make "technical recommendations on the proposed amendments" which will be re-submitted along with the Pandemic Treaty, at the 77th Health Assembly meeting in 2024.

There has also been lots of pushback from Republicans in the US, with a number of them introducing new bills giving the US Congress/Senate powers to override any WHO mandates or directives issued as part of any international agreements.

One, called the 'No WHO Pandemic Preparedness Treaty Without Senate Approval Act' has 15 co-sponsors and was introduced to the Senate on Thursday by Republican Senator Ron Johnson, who said "The sovereignty of the United States is not negotiable".
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^What did WHO propose? Of course, the usual WHO shills are now out blaming everyone else (other than the west and cheen) about the failure of uniting the world together to fight an apocalypse a.la the movie Independence day.

Some intentions here: https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/covid19/2022/03 ... o-do-next/
These include:

1. Anchoring the treaty in human rights and addressing the principles of the right to health, equity, solidarity, transparency, trust, and accountability;
2. Using a One Health approach for pandemic prevention and early detection
3. Stronger health systems information and reporting mechanisms; including a better use of digital technology for data collection and sharing

I think the first point itself is a no-go.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

I have a proposal:

1. Convert this thread into a Pandemic Retrospective. A critical look at what worked, what did not work, failures, and successes with appropriate data & articles. The retrospective should be candid & objective. What was circulated as fake news and what was pushed beyond its sell by date. For example, the Shanghai zero-covid policy and total lockdown are useless, but lockdowns were recommended even after the 3rd wave!

2. Open up a new thread on Pandemic watch and global response. We are seeing Monkeypox and other diseases showing up on the radar. They need to be critically watched.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

It seems like cases are on the rise again in Mumbai...Amber G, if you are still posting on the forum, any chance of 4th wave in India?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^Cases rising again is a fact. And will there be a 4th and 5th and 6th wave? Yes.

Also, are you quoting from https://twitter.com/COVIDNewsByMIB ? And if cases are rising, what is the hospitalization rate? Death rate?

Right after the delta wave (2nd wave) last year, India decided to go from the pandemic stage to the endemic stage. Coronavirus is here and among us. And it will become seasonal, like flu. And there will be strains that will be very deadly. We had Europeans gift us the Flu (Influenza) last century and this time it was Cheen. So there will be 4th, 5th and n'th wave every year.

So what do you propose? What do you want to hear?

1. Mask Mandates?

Mask mandates do not work. Mask works, but not mask mandates.

https://fee.org/articles/the-new-york-t ... on-t-work/
https://abc7news.com/california-mask-ma ... /11913223/

The second link above is from California, where the mask mandates and lockdown were strictest and were followed more or less and have seen more surge in cases than other states. Like Florida.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -reckoning
https://www.newsweek.com/california-str ... hy-1648430

2. Stringent lockdowns & zero covid policy

Useless.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/shan ... -rcna29149

Shanghai achieves zero wuhanvirus cases for 3 consecutive days. What has it wrought?

---

So again what do you want to hear Zynda Sir?

That coronavirus will go away? Not going to happen.
Will new clades will come which are dangerous? Likely to happen.
Is India better poised than other countries or zones to handle new waves? Most likely.

For example, the mRNA vaccines will *not* protect you from infection with new variants. Will protect you from severe infection & subsequent hospitalization & possibly death due to Covid.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2200797

So here are some items to follow on:

1. Get Vaccinated and get boosted. Particularly if you are in a group that is more susceptible to hospitalization due to COVID/Flu etc.
2. Wear masks properly.
3. Avoid unnecessary crowds.
4. Prepare to have additional waves come every year.
5. Live a life.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Yesterday according to ministry of health website, there were NO deaths but cases went up by 1123. For the past few weeks the acive case number is oscillating between 12k and 20k.

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^There is a lag between mortality rate showing up on charts vis-a-vis case positivity rate. Assume a 2-week lag.

Here is the progression of Covid (in general layman's term) https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... 9-symptoms

So why is the case positivity rate monitored? Well, even the mortality rate is monitored. Omicron version of covid was ~91% less deadly than the delta variant if one goes by this news https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ta-variant, hence given the case mortality, number of people staying in hospitals, or in ICU one can plan for health care infrastructure accordingly. Or any other interventions.

Just using the case positivity raw number is meaningless. That is like hollering to get attention just like the boy who cried wolf. And that is where the media and everyone who is an "expert" failed. Since it does not give any idea to a common person on what to do next. Individually and collectively. Other than fear and shiver in dhoti.

Hence it is important to do a retrospective and cold data analysis. This is something we owe to ourselves and the next generation.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-fda ... 022-06-03/

Two quotes:
U.S. Food and Drug Administration staff said on Friday they were concerned about a possible risk of heart inflammation from Novavax Inc's (NVAX.O) vaccine, even as the company's data showed the vaccine was effective in reducing the risk of mild-to-severe COVID-19.
Novavax said the number of myocarditis events in its clinical trial was "within the range of expected background cases."
=~

My take: a single vaccination shot of Novavax might present an acceptable background risk. What about multiple shots? Say four shots?
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Finally, Pre-travel testing requirement lifted
CNN
I think it is lifted from Monday 13th at 12:01 (not from Jun 12th, 12:01 as mentioned by CNN). So the world is limping back to normal, USA being almost the last country to lift this requirement.
Me and my wife went to Vegas. She was attending a conference and I just tagged along. Not many were wearing masks or practicing social distancing. Even in the Conference according to my wife less than 5% were wearing masks even though all of them are healthcare professionals. We both are vaccinated and boostered (TWO each). We were wearing masks (N95) all the time.
I mostly stayed in the Hotel room except for lunch and dinner. We came back Tuesday. Friday evening I felt tired and Saturday woke up with body aches and dizziness. Used BinaxNOW home test and it came out positive. Wife tested negative.
Yesterday evening I started on Paxlovid a 5 day regimen with two medicines packed to be taken three tables twice a day. This medicine leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and so no fun. Anyway I am feeling much better compared to yesterday. Yesterday had low fever 99.5. My so2 has been pretty good at 97-99%. I am isolating myself in a bedroom.
So I guess even after taking vaccination and booster shots you may still contract the virus. But the symptoms are likely to be mild. So everyone take care and maintain social distancing and masking where ever possible.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

saip wrote:Finally, Pre-travel testing requirement lifted
CNN
I think it is lifted from Monday 13th at 12:01 (not from Jun 12th, 12:01 as mentioned by CNN). So the world is limping back to normal, USA being almost the last country to lift this requirement.
Me and my wife went to Vegas. She was attending a conference and I just tagged along. Not many were wearing masks or practicing social distancing. Even in the Conference according to my wife less than 5% were wearing masks even though all of them are healthcare professionals. We both are vaccinated and boostered (TWO each). We were wearing masks (N95) all the time.
I mostly stayed in the Hotel room except for lunch and dinner. We came back Tuesday. Friday evening I felt tired and Saturday woke up with body aches and dizziness. Used BinaxNOW home test and it came out positive. Wife tested negative.
Yesterday evening I started on Paxlovid a 5 day regimen with two medicines packed to be taken three tables twice a day. This medicine leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and so no fun. Anyway I am feeling much better compared to yesterday. Yesterday had low fever 99.5. My so2 has been pretty good at 97-99%. I am isolating myself in a bedroom.
So I guess even after taking vaccination and booster shots you may still contract the virus. But the symptoms are likely to be mild. So everyone take care and maintain social distancing and masking where ever possible.
Same story here. Wife and I visited FL for a few days in April. Did not shake hands with anyone or do anything risky other than a dinner one evening at a crowded restaurant where nobody was wearing a mask. We wore our masks throughout the plane ride (even though it was not mandatory then) and the airport. We had both received our second booster three weeks earlier (enough time for antibodies). Came back and had fever very next day, both wife and I tested positive. Started Paxlovid, felt great within 48 hrs then made the mistake of stopping it as the bitter taste was too much. Two days later the sx came back with a vengeance - fever was mild but the cold was the worst I remember having. Also had a bad cough. It took over two weeks to get better and my antigen test stayed positive for 18 days!

Lessons learnt: 1. You can and will get the infection even with double boosters - they offer no protection against this variant. 2. The sx generally are not life threatening although very annoying. 3. Paxlovid works wonderfully well, but be warned, if you do not complete the course you will likely get a bad rebound of the virus and then it will take much longer to clear from your system. 4. The antigen test may stay positive far longer than your symptoms do, which is probably not a concern unless you have small children or elderly people nearby when you don't want to take any risks at all.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Thanks. This variant seems to infect even those people fully vaccinated and boostered. My sister was infected (physician in NY) and then my nephew too. Both fully vaccinated. Both took Paxlovid and are now recovered. Have 5 more doses to go. Will not stop taking it.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

^^

Yes, I know many who were boostered and yet got it. Some of them got it from a party where nobody showed any symptoms and even after the event nobody else developed any. So it is also being spread by completely asymptomatic people.