Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by SriKumar »

Primus wrote:^^

Yes, I know many who were boostered and yet got it. Some of them got it from a party where nobody showed any symptoms and even after the event nobody else developed any. So it is also being spread by completely asymptomatic people.
Is this the same strain that is in India? In other words, would immunity against this give you immunity against the current desi strain?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

I recovered from covid just now probably omicron. I am a working physician, Pfizer 2+1 vacc and boosted. This does trouble men.
Infection is rising once again in UK, EU after mask mandate is off.
US is grappling with up to 200,000 covid cases daily.
MH in India which is bellwether of corona wave also has infection sweeping in Mumbai.

Moderna approved fro 6-16 by FDA. In this agr group so far moderna was avoided due to risk of myocarditis. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/14/fda-com ... to-17.html#

Alsmo Moderna is coming up with a hig dose vaccine which would be needed only once in a yr as booster against covid.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

My question is specific to India. I know Omicron breaks through even among people who have had two doses. I was a victim myself. But what about the new sub variants? The numbers in India are still small although they are a lot higher than they were, a month ago. Any insights?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

nandakumar wrote:My question is specific to India. I know Omicron breaks through even among people who have had two doses. I was a victim myself. But what about the new sub variants? The numbers in India are still small although they are a lot higher than they were, a month ago. Any insights?
BA5 subvariant is spreading in India.
https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... a-7972399/
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/five- ... n-variants
more information on BA4,5 subvariant. More infectious, less dangerous. Vaccination works.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

IndraD wrote:
nandakumar wrote:My question is specific to India. I know Omicron breaks through even among people who have had two doses. I was a victim myself. But what about the new sub variants? The numbers in India are still small although they are a lot higher than they were, a month ago. Any insights?
BA5 subvariant is spreading in India.
https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... a-7972399/
Thanks IndraD. That was useful.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Done with the last dose of Paxlovid. The lingering bitterness in the mouth is terrible. But so far no symptoms. Will test again tomorrow.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Great. Difficult treatment that one, the bitterness and some nausea that goes with it is hard to ignore. Your test may still be positive, usually by day 8 or 9 it should start becoming negative though.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Right. I tested today and the line is very faint. But, I guess I am still positive even though I am symptom free. Question is how infectious am I? Wife decided I must isolate myself for another 5 days.
Are people taking this virus this time around seriously? We were supposed to attend a function at neighbors (but the function itself is being held 20 milies away). My wife called and told the hostess about me and said we will not be attending. The hostess, I believe, told her that they attended a wedding two weeks back and 40 (forty) of the guests later tested positive and most of the symptoms are mild like a cold and left it to my wife the decision. But my wife decided not to go.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Good to see your recoveries saip and IndraD ! Stay well!!
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

BB has completed 3rd phase trials of their Covid nasal vaccine. Will submit their data to DGCI next month and if things go well & vaccine gets approval, it will be the world's first nasal vaccine. BB has not disclosed the efficacy numbers from their 3rd phase trials...also not sure if the vaccine can prevent future infections from Omicron...last year prior to Omicron, BB was claiming that nasal vaccine could prevent viral transmission from infected folks as well...again not sure after ph-3 trails, those claims holds true. Nevertheless, an exciting development in on-going battle against Covid.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Today is Day 5 of my Covid+. On Day 0, I felt slight irritation in my throat and intermittent dry cough. On day 1 was feeling very tired, and fatigued and my cough progressed. Testing showed negative! Day 2 was bad and did not have the energy to do the covid test. Day 3 was the worst. Felt like razor blades in my throat. Could not speak 2 words! Even 5 min. walk was exhausting. Unable to talk and tested positive. Could get a video call with PCP and she could get me Paxlovid. However, SHQ was already on Day 5 and did not get a prescription for paxlovid. So I myself am withholding that line now. Further have a 75+-year-old parent at home. The only person not with Covid and we are following "local isolation" for her. The rest of the family also has Covid.

Day 5 is not bad so far. The razor blades in my throat are gone. Still, the cough is dry. Heavy head and not much energy, but not feeling fatigued either.

I am double vaccinated and boosted. So the vaccine does not block infection. It does not even make the infection mild. I had flu without a vaccine (the worst thing that was), breakthrough flu due to failed vaccine (Yes, flu vaccine effectiveness has never been greater than 60 in the past 2 decades!) and as horrible as no vaccine, and break thru flu with a successful vaccine (this actually was the most effective flu vaccine in last 2 decades). In the last one, the flu lasted all of 2 days. The first day of flu symptoms developed and 2nd day was not great but could work through the day and on day 3 it was gone.

That is not the case with the current OXiMoron strain. It is as good as getting a new one. In other words, the vaccine is useless.

How bad is OXiMoron strain? Time will tell, and it seems to be milder https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html. Yes, the 70+ population is bearing the brunt, where they account for half of the hospital admissions. In comparison, <19 accounts for 1/20th of the hospital admissions. Statistically, I do not have to worry about my children. It is the seniors I have to worry about.

This does lead to thoughts on mRNA vaccinations in US. Vaccines from India are not in question. In fact, I would like to get Covaxin the first chance I get. But that is not the case. The cheeni sinovacs do not even work.

1. What happened to the promise of mRNA vaccines where they were supposed to come up with a vaccine for any new potential strain very fast?
2. Why should one take the booster+ doses if they are targeting older strains and ineffective against newer strains?
3. Particularly to Oximoron virus: https://www.ft.com/content/e26c93a0-90e ... 25e94bc59b, flu is more deadly than oximoron it seems!
4. every time there is a news report on rising case numbers, I wince. Last week, my family and my extended family on both sides got Covid. That is a substantial rise in the case numbers. I am not worried about that. My worry is if the situation goes from bad to worse for senior, will there be a proper health care facility? And again lockdown is not the answer. 2.5 years in, if we have not increased the bed capacity to take in incoming hospitalizations, then the most industrialized and developed country in the world has failed.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Covid virus likely leaked from Wuhan lab: WHO chief Tedros Ghebreyesus
Just days after saying that the Covid lab leak theory needs "further investigations", the World Health Organisation (WHO) chief has privately confided to a senior European politician that the pandemic originated from China's infamous Wuhan lab, according to a report.

According to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the most likely explanation was a catastrophic accident at a laboratory in Wuhan, where infections first spread during late 2019, Daily Mail reported.

However, publicly, the UN health agency maintains that "all hypotheses remain on the table".

Initially the WHO was criticised for its deferential approach to China, but in the absence of any compelling evidence of "zoonotic" spread -- the process by which a virus leaps from animals to humans -- the global agency is now adopting a more neutral public stance, the report said.

"We do not yet have the answers as to where it came from or how it entered the human population. Understanding the origins of the virus is very important scientifically to prevent future epidemics and pandemics," Ghebreyesus was quoted as saying this month.

"But morally, we also owe it to all those who have suffered and died and their families. The longer it takes, the harder it becomes. We need to speed up and act with a sense of urgency.

"All hypotheses must remain on the table until we have evidence that enables us to rule certain hypotheses in or out. This makes it all the more urgent that this scientific work be kept separate from politics," he said.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Whether accident or not, nations were supposed to inform UN/WHO early about these outbreaks. The commies in China decided to hide for reasons best known to them. 6 million people died officially. Unofficially it could be 30 to 50 million. Many folks did not get medical attention for other diseases and died. My mother was one such victim. No hospital was ready to take her. Xi Jin Ping got away with all of it.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Zynda wrote:It seems like cases are on the rise again in Mumbai...Amber G, if you are still posting on the forum, any chance of 4th wave in India?
Have not been posting/following brf for some time. To answer, per SUTRA..

- (As most know:) Cases have been rising again, particularly in Maharashtra and Kerala and 'phases' were changing rapidly to predict future trajectory reliably. But, now the phase has become rather stable so..

- Thus we (SUTRA model) can predict the trajectory with *high* confidence and reliable accuracy.
- As the graph below shows: current rise is merely a small ripple that will peak around mid-July between 20-25K cases per day.

(State/district trajectory shows some parts will have higher(relatively) numbers etc - so state-wise numbers/projections and some more details are at "Cll Risk Surveillance Centre" .The Centre website is at: https://icrsc.in

-The current rise, I think, is primarily due to a slight (~2-3%) increase in susceptible population due to waning of natural immunity. (We could expect more such ripples as more people lose natural immunity. BUT Chances of a major wave are minimal unless a new mutant strikes that can bypass natural immunity significantly. (Mutants so far have not been able to do that)
Last edited by Amber G. on 23 Jun 2022 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^Thanks for your reply Amber G. Hopefully, these ripples will mitigate over time...anyways, regarding Bharat Biotech's Covid nasal vaccine, has there been any positive buzz within the folks you interact in India?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 2.html?amp

Lung invasive Omicron variants emerging!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

FWIW: The latest India-wide projections at <https://sutra-consortium.in/> looks current (Jun 22 data). The peak - midJuly (about 25 K) is same data which I posted in earlier post.

- We will see how reliable these valued are -- (some other graphs I have seen project higher values - but these figures looks quite reliable as looking at the latest dat).

Here is historic look for perspective.

Meanwhile in India, we now have 90+% of adults *fully* vaccinated. (reaching around 70% of total population -- which is similar to US where vaccinations are available for children too. A remarkable feet.
- In US - vaccinations are now available for all 6 months and older - and are highly recommended.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Good to have you back AmberG
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Tanaji wrote:Good to have you back AmberG
Ditto :D

Also, Thank You.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Great to have you back Amber. Hopefully, we will have some real data, analysis, and objective facts in the discussion.
Amber G. wrote: - In US - vaccinations are now available for all 6 months and older - and are highly recommended.
Highly recommended by whom?

Also given that we are 2.75 years into Covid, we should have data for US, Western Developed nations (EU+Canada+Aus+NZ+US), large developing nations (India & Cheen), Asian developed nations (Japan, Korea, S'gpore) and the rest of the world on child mortality due to covid.

That is how many children between the ages of 6 months to 5 years died due to Covid. There is a nuance here, we are not talking about Child mortality with Covid., that is, we are not talking about Children admitted to ICU because of a different critical medical condition but tested positive. The data should be child mortality *due to* Covid.

Also how many hospitalizations will the vaccine prevent? That is if you give vaccines to say 10000 kids (from 0.5 to 5 years) and placebo for 10k kids, how many from the later set end up in hospitals due to severe Covid? How many more compared to non-placebo?

Coming down the ladder, mortality, and hospitalizations due to Covid is serious. At the same time, when a new mRNA vaccine jab is given to 0.5-5 years kids, one has to also understand the adverse effects. That is, does the risk of adverse effect, foreseen and unforeseen outweigh the risk due to Covid? And what about severe symptoms?

Does the tot-shot (vaccine for kids 0.5-5 years) prevent severe but non-life-threatening Covid? Does it reduce the number of severe covid incidence vis-a-vis placebo/unvaccinated? Does it reduce the severity of symptoms?

Also if a kid has already tested positive for Covid, do they require vaccinations? This is important since here the tot has survived Covid and thus what protection will a vaccine provide?

I am sure you have thought through all the above and have the data and facts ready and hence you recommend the tot-shot (vaccine for kids 0.5 yrs to 5 years).
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^ Personal risk to kids is not the only consideration IMO. From what I see in my circle, even fully vaccinated + boostered parents are getting Covid because their kids are bringing it home from school or daycare activities. If vaccinating kids helps them clear the virus sooner, that will help protect parents.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

vera_k wrote:^ Personal risk to kids is not the only consideration IMO. From what I see in my circle, even fully vaccinated + boostered parents are getting Covid because their kids are bringing it home from school or daycare activities. If vaccinating kids helps them clear the virus sooner, that will help protect parents.
So Vera_k'ji, are you saying that:

1. Get the Tots shot so that the parents are protected.
2. The parents are not currently protected in spite of the being double vaccinated and boosted, and hence point 1 above.
3. So giving the same vaccine, which has not protected the parents, to the Tots will protect the parents
4. And the vaccines to tots are proven completely safe in terms of long terms (and the study size) vis-a-vis adults?
5. And include tots who already got COVID to be vaccinated so that the parents who are already vaccinated are protected.

And we are talking about mRNA vaccines which *are* proven to be ineffective against the latest strain.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:

-The current rise, I think, is primarily due to a slight (~2-3%) increase in susceptible population due to waning of natural immunity. (We could expect more such ripples as more people lose natural immunity. BUT Chances of a major wave are minimal unless a new mutant strikes that can bypass natural immunity significantly. (Mutants so far have not been able to do that)
The part '(Mutants so far have not been able bypass natural immunity in a significant way...', IMO still holds for India (looking at the data - and some experts, i respect , agree but still many recent studies/data is causing concern .especially the BA.5 variant is much worse .. w/r to immune escape and transmissibility
UK report today on its growth advantage relative to BA.2.12.1 and BA.4: (Reading the report published today)..
(Link:https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ing-43.pdf
(Similar kind of alarming data from other parts of the world when one looks at the data).
Today's report about waster-water in San Diego for example (<
https://searchcovid.info/dashboards/was ... veillance/> is sort of consistent as we have to watch it carefully..
But India at present looks (relatively) okay - areas of concern (per experts I know) are Europe, Middle East (Israel et).. The graph I posted above - IMO - will be within 10% for next 5-6 weeks *unless* something drastically changes - phase seem to remain quite stable for last week or so there is confidence ... but we will see.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

My long teaching experience taught me:
अज्ञः सुखमाराध्यःसुखतरमाराध्यते विशेषज्ञ
ज्ञानलवदुर्विदग्धं ब्रह्मापि नरं न रञ्जयति
So FWIW: Few points:
[vaccines for 6 months and up in USA] Highly recommended by whom?
By me :). (Also by *every* scientist I know - not to mention*unanimously* by FDA

And again FWIW - my recommendation, (but please ask your own doctor, or do research) for children is Moderna (mRNA) vaccine.
(The best and quite useful summary of the data on these approvals that I’ve found written up so far can be found at:FDA meeting for <5 COVID vaccine: Q&A
(Personally - 4 of my grandchildren (3-5 years age) have Pfizer (Moderna was not approved then - in fact no vaccine was approved then - they were in a trial. After trial was "unblinded", it turned out all got the real stuff. One 1 year old Moderna. )

Also, for adults - if you are able to get one of the booster of different mRNA. If primary vaccine was J&J (or AZ in Canada) get mRNA as booster. (This is what me and my family did but there is valid scientific basis for that).
---
When all is said and done - Here is some *real* useful data -

data on 2nd booster protection from death for people age 50+, compared with unvaccinated, through Omicron BA.1, BA.2
- 2 boosters: 99% reduction
- 1 booster: 86% reduction
- Vaxx, no boosters: 81% reduction

(People can and have gotten covid even if they were fully vaccinated or even exposed to covid before - as many posts even in brf shows *but* there is little doubt that these vaxes reduces deaths and hospitalization.)

Finally: Think about this:
In the 1st year of Covid vaccinations, ~20 million deaths were prevented worldwide (data from 185 countries) :
LinkGlobal impact of the first year of COVID-19 vaccination: a mathematical modelling study
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... 1656102086
Calls to expand access to Covid antivirals in Australia splits experts and doctors
Health minister encourages Paxlovid and Lagevrio use, but peak GP body cautions drugs can have side-effects if taken with some other drugs
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Covid vaccines cut global death toll by 20million in first year itself, study finds https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... year-study
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

IndraD wrote:Covid vaccines cut global death toll by 20million in first year itself, study finds https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... year-study
Thanks for the post. Glad to see the study (lancet link - i posted in a post above) is being published in mainstream media like Guardian.
From the study ; Another interesting line:
Another ~600,000 lives would have been saved if the 40% target (for vaccines in the world) been achieved
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There was a report vaccination prevented 42 lakhs death in India.
That's big!!!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ramana wrote:There was a report vaccination prevented 42 lakhs death in India.
That's big!!!
Thx.. Glad to see the report (again the Lancent study Is now being quoted in Indian Newspapers too... - I posted the link to the study a few posts above -->,Global impact of the first year of COVID-19 vaccination: a mathematical modelling study

(The Hindu Newspaper link : https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 561292.ece
“For India, we estimate that 4.21 Million deaths were prevented by vaccination in this period,..

(As said before, India now has 90% adult population *fully* vaccinated. A remarkable feet.)
For US The estimation is about 160,000..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

FWIW: To be clear - The "study" and newspaper reports based on that study - is an exercise in mathematical modeling (using their own assumptions and data) with data which itself is not perfect. So the number given in those reports should be understood that way - I take with a grain of salt -- No doubt, I think, the numbers are large but actual numbers may differ , if other models are used. Main point is, even if *exact* figures can be debated -- total lives saved is in *millions* - pretty big deal.
---
As many know, India's official number of total deaths (-confirmed deaths) are about 0.52 millions.

(Actual numbers are perhaps a little higher and other estimates vary -- giving a different number - but -- the numbers are *far* lower than WHO figures, - which India Gov, and most reputable people disagree with. Unfortunately some news articles still quote those numbers.)
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

ramana wrote:There was a report vaccination prevented 42 lakhs death in India.
That's big!!!
The number reported is a mathematical extrapolation based on officially recorded COVID-19 deaths.
The researchers used a model based on country-level data for officially recorded COVID-19 deaths occurring between December 8, 2020 and December 8, 2021.
It was funded by:
Schmidt Science Fellowship in partnership with the Rhodes Trust; WHO; UK Medical Research Council; Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; National Institute for Health Research; and Community Jameel.
I will take the above study with two bags of salt. First that is funded by Billu Sleaze Foundation. And second, the numbers currently though are taken from officially recorded, they may change the model to include WHO numbers (which are vastly wild) and then further extrapolate to vaccine efficiency and try to paint that the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines are better.

Remember, there was tremendous pressure on India to buy Pfizer and Moderna at high prices and all legal indemnity waived.

India needs Pfizer vaccines—but company demand for legal protection is holding things up

Added later: I am highly skeptical of the lancet mathematical extrapolation study. It shows (>12 and <=24) deaths averted per 10000 ppl for India and (>41 and <=59) deaths averted per 10000 ppl in US.

In nutshell, it says that vaccinations prevented 2x to 3x mortality in the US compared to India. Or as I am reading it, US vaccines were more efficient (2x-3x more) compared to Indian.
Last edited by disha on 25 Jun 2022 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Amber G. wrote:My long teaching experience taught me:
My experience teaches me, to be humble, candid and honest. I strive.

Amber, a request, when doling out medical advice, please stick to your quote:
please ask your own doctor, or do research
Since neither you are an expert on dispensing medical advice and neither the so-called public experts have covered themselves with glory. And definitely not FDA which is a shill for US mRNA vaccines, viz: Pfizer and Moderna.

Hence the best one can strive for is:

1. Ask valid questions on mRNA vaccines &
2. Create a safe space for informed consent, on vaccination to 0.5-5 years. The tot-shot.

and talk to your Doctor, particularly your kid's doctor before the mRNA jab.

In India, GOI guidelines are very clear https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... 27336.html

And I am really surprised that a person with your caliber and such in-depth objective analysis is posting this mathematical extrapolation (which again is flawed extrapolation) to justify mRNA vaccines for tots (kids 0.5-5 years)
In the 1st year of Covid vaccinations, ~20 million deaths were prevented worldwide (data from 185 countries) :
LinkGlobal impact of the first year of COVID-19 vaccination: a mathematical modelling study
The question to the above is simple and I hope you will answer directly: Can you please state, how many kids from 0.5-5 years (tots) deaths were prevented in the 1st year of COVID vaccinations?
Last edited by disha on 25 Jun 2022 08:40, edited 2 times in total.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

IndraD wrote:Covid vaccines cut global death toll by 20million in first year itself, study finds https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... year-study
Excellent. Vaccines preventing deaths were never in doubt. The question I think you must also ask & answer, how many deaths of tots (kids 0.5-to-5 years) were prevented by mRNA vaccines?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Amber G. wrote: When all is said and done - Here is some *real* useful data -

data on 2nd booster protection from death for people age 50+, compared with unvaccinated, through Omicron BA.1, BA.2
- 2 boosters: 99% reduction
- 1 booster: 86% reduction
- Vaxx, no boosters: 81% reduction
The above data is for age 50+

Ask is simple, please provide data on tots (0.5-5 yrs) age. In nutshell, you have the list of questions above. You can answer those.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

In India Covid vaccines are not widespread available for under 12 years as of age. My 10 year old nephew and 3 year old niece had some viral infections and tested negative for Covid. Eventually they will probably get Corbevax.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Mort Walker wrote:In India Covid vaccines are not widespread available for under 12 years as of age. My 10 year old nephew and 3 year old niece had some viral infections and tested negative for Covid. Eventually they will probably get Corbevax.
Corbevax is an interesting vaccine. No studies are there in public domain, nor have they published phase 2/3 trial results in any publication. The data is closely guarded. GoI has been vaccinating kids 12-14 with Corbevax, while no one has any clue on it. It is not an indigenously developed vaccine. It was developed by Texas Baylor school of medicine but manfuctured only in India by BiologicalE. Now, DCGI has approved corbevax as heterogenous booster dose too. All with no data in public domain with millions of kids vaccinated with it.

Covovax (from Novovax) has also been authorized for kids 12-17 years old. At least Novovax data is available in public domain and many other countries like UK, Australia etc have approved it. However, all other countries have approved it for 18+ people while India has approved it only for 12-17 !

Covaxin has done studies on kids 6+. Covaxin has been approved by DCGI for kids 8+ but govt hasn't approved it to be given to kids below 15 as it isn't enabled in Cowin app. Covaxin has had some manufacturing issues and it was temporarily suspended by WHO for violating GMP (good manufacturing practice). I believe this has been removed now. Trials have restarted in US for Covaxin for phase 2/3. But it's still not allowed to be given to kids in India.

Strange are the ways of GoI !!
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Amber G. wrote:
“For India, we estimate that 4.21 Million deaths were prevented by vaccination in this period,..

(As said before, India now has 90% adult population *fully* vaccinated. A remarkable feet.)
For US The estimation is about 160,000..
hello amber ji thanks for coming back we all benefit from your posts.
BBC reports India is 64% fully vaccinated (2 doses I believe). And cowin site also gives numbers only but we don;t know how many eligible and other denominators. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56237778
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

IndraD wrote: ....
BBC reports India is 64% fully vaccinated (2 doses I believe). And cowin site also gives numbers only but we don;t know how many eligible and other denominators...
When in doubt, go with GOI numbers and not with BBC or NYTimes or any of the 2-bit GAVI studies or nonsense from ford foundations...

If GOI does not show the numbers, they just do not have the numbers. Or might not want to estimate those numbers for various reasons. I would trust the current GOI more than anyone else*

* Did you know that US Gov injected plutonium & uranium in several common people? As part of a study to determine how a human body processes plutonium and uranium?

However, my point on Covid is this: It is RNA Virus and it evolves fast. Further, the coronavirus is the only RNA virus that has the ability to correct its offsprings (unlike say rhinovirus, where its offsprings are random mutations and several of them actually fail). Further Coronavirus is evolving spike protein itself which is the target for vaccines and anti-virals.

Thus, you have a very insidious RNA virus that has the ability to regulate its offspring (only RNA virus to do so!) and evolve the spike protein that the vaccines target!

No doubt it appears to be lab engineered. An ideal viral weapon, it transmits before the host knows it (the symptoms are after the transmission has begun), it does not randomly mutate and create 1000s of mutated un-regulated offsprings, thus anti-virals cannot be used (anti-virals basically introduce more errors in the offsprings such that the offsprings stop) and it mutates precisely where the vaccines target! Further, if it goes into the wild onto other animals and evolves and comes back to humans, it is a very powerful bio-weapon - kiss your **** goodbye.

So how does one solve it? One solution is to let it run wild and target vaccines to a select vulnerable population (immunocompromised, comorbidities etc) and the goal is to save them from hospitalization and potential death.

Hence 70% of the eligible population vaccinated is a good thing, it need not be 80 or 90 or 99%., the virus is already evolving and we can play only catch up. Hence the goal is not to eradicate the Coronavirus (it cannot be eradicated, this beast is now endemic in the world, a cheeni-fauci gift). The goal is now to get the vaccines to the people who really need them. And in India, that goal is being quietly achieved.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

putnanja wrote:
Corbevax is an interesting vaccine. No studies are there in public domain, nor have they published phase 2/3 trial results in any publication....
Strange are the ways of GoI !!
Putnanja'ji, I expected this line and hence you can see the arc of some of my arguments (if you want to see).

I will post something on "ways of GOI" (and that only from outside observation) later. But I do ask to do some more research on Corbevax.