Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ricky_v
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by ricky_v »

pandyan
BRFite

Post by pandyan »

Primus wrote: The problem I have is of the opposite nature. There are so many 'magic' cures offered for chronic illnesses that at best provide a 40-50% benefit and yet the companies that make these products earn billions of dollars from them. The amount of money spent on ads, promotions via physicians - both in academia and prvt practice, the lobbying through politicians is unbelievable. Nobody seems to mind this as everybody except the poor patient is in on the scam. Just like promises of total cure are illegal, such practices too should be, but they are not.
Interesting insights, Primus ji. US medicine ads on TV have disclaimer of side-effects and that list seems much worse than the condition it supposed to treat.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Bangalore has been consistently hitting 500+ cases since last week. Today was the peak @ 890 cases. BBMP had an excellent Covid War room Dashboard (the model of which was adopted by few other metros in India), which was showing detailed info about current Covid cases (with ward wise/zone wise case numbers etc). All of the above was working till last week. Since the case numbers have gone up exponentially, many of the above info have vanished from the dashboard. Similarly, BBMP/BSY promised transparency in number of Covid beds available in both Govt & private hosptials. They said such beds info will be accessible online. At least, I was not able to figure out where to get such information. Again so much for transparency.

Few horror stories of patients being turned away at both Govt hosptials in BLR and private hosptials refusing admission due to reason of full capacity. BSY & Revenue Minister have been making promises all this week about increasing Covid bed capacity by thousands. I do hope these beds come online soon. Also, I do hope that GoKar has ordered bulk order of ventilators to cater to increasing demand. It is a shame that BSY Govt sat pretty for the last 4 months when it could have done a lot to ramp up infrastructure.

It seems like Remdesivir stocks have been ordered by Karnataka Government. Hopefully the same for Fabiflu as well. The recovery rate in BLR is pathetic though.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

The increase in cases you are seeing is because of the backlog getting cleared in the labs. Bangalore along with other cities have a huge backlogs in labs that are yet to be cleared, so you will continue to see high numbers. This also worries me thinking how many false positives and false negatives may be going out due to overworked lab technicians. While i have zero hopes that our politicians, babus or even mango janta will extract any lessons from this pandemic, one this is clear that our extremely over congested, over populated cities are a huge liability on health and on environment. Its the result of decades of poor planning, and inequalities in development between metros and tier 2/3 cities is what we are witnessing today.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

pandyan wrote:
Primus wrote: The problem I have is of the opposite nature. There are so many 'magic' cures offered for chronic illnesses that at best provide a 40-50% benefit and yet the companies that make these products earn billions of dollars from them. The amount of money spent on ads, promotions via physicians - both in academia and prvt practice, the lobbying through politicians is unbelievable. Nobody seems to mind this as everybody except the poor patient is in on the scam. Just like promises of total cure are illegal, such practices too should be, but they are not.
Interesting insights, Primus ji. US medicine ads on TV have disclaimer of side-effects and that list seems much worse than the condition it supposed to treat.
Please, no Ji for me.

Indeed, but DTC (direct to consumer) ads were banned in the past, but heavy lobbying allowed Big Pharma to start beaming these very clever ads which always imply a magical cure without saying so and of course list major side effects in a fast commentary at the end (very few people have the patience to listen to it). The ads always end with 'ask your doctor about xyz'. Not surprising patients always ask - can I get that medicine? They are of course not told that there are equally effective and cheaper products already on the market but since the patent is now expired, the same company is selling the next 'model', dissing its own drug.

A classic case is Prilosec (omeprazole), a true wonder drug that changed the face of gastroenterology and made Astra Zeneca one of the biggest companies in the world. When the patent expired, they came out with Nexium (an optical isomer of omeprazole which has a longer half-life) and claimed it as another miracle drug. They promptly started dissing their own previous hit, Prilosec claiming it was 'only approved for 14 days' and some such nonsense. This trend has continued with many other pharma companies making isomers of their original patented product and selling it as a new magic pill.

Humira has made Abbvie a top company and is one of the most popular drugs in the world today, nets around $20 billion a year. However, despite its aggressive marketing and claims, it only offers a 40-50% improvement in most conditions it treats. There are alternatives that are perhaps just as effective and with the same safety profile over long term, but are incredibly cheap and generic, hence nobody is pushing those.

As a policy, I've banned any Pharma Rep from my office for over 10 yrs now. Don't take any free lunches or other 'gifts' they bring to the office either. It is subtle but repetitive influence they have over our prescribing habits and over time, it is almost impossible to resist.

Anyway, all this is OT for this thread, apologies to Mods.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Jal-neti at Deenanath Mangeshkar hospital is proving to be an effective preventive measure for doctors and health workers, with so far no case reported there.

Dr. Kelkar sounds very convincing here.

https://youtu.be/YysmD7IDuEg

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pune/ ... 737827.cms
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

My god.

We've managed to UNFLATTEN the curve here in the US:

I can't even fathom these numbers anymore.

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/2020/ ... cases-day/

Fauci: US could reach 100,000 new cases a day

By LAURAN NEERGAARD AP Medical Writer

The U.S. is “going in the wrong direction” with the coronavirus surging badly enough that Dr. Anthony Fauci told senators Tuesday some regions are putting the entire country at risk — just as schools and colleges are wrestling with how to safely reopen.
prasan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prasan »

Coronavirus vaccine: ICMR aims to launch COVAXIN by August 15

This is as per a letter written as internal communication by ICMR to Bharat Biotech asking for fast-tracking of the indigenous vaccine with an aim to launch by August 15.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trend ... 01921.html
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

prasan wrote:Coronavirus vaccine: ICMR aims to launch COVAXIN by August 15

This is as per a letter written as internal communication by ICMR to Bharat Biotech asking for fast-tracking of the indigenous vaccine with an aim to launch by August 15.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trend ... 01921.html
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/video/v ... 2020-07-01
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

chola wrote:My god.

We've managed to UNFLATTEN the curve here in the US:

I can't even fathom these numbers anymore.
Maybe the Yanks will save the world after all.. one way or the other- with vaccine or with herd immunity
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

So its happening in BLR has well...similar things which had happened in BOM & DEL. Doctors under immense pressure to keep quiet and not speak out about actual ground situation.

This Reddit thread was forwarded by a friend. Posting it here...
https://www.reddit.com/r/bangalore/comm ... rs_appeal/

Again, appeal is to stay @ home as long as possible & if you do have WFH, count your blessings and minimize venturing out.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

mukkan - 16th May on this thread wrote:Sorrento Therapeutics' stock soars on massive volume after upbeat report on COVID-19 antibody experiment. After four days of incubation, Sorrento said it STI-1499 antibody demonstrated 100% inhibition of the COVID-19 virus infection of healthy cells. The company said full results of the experiment will be soon submitted to a "peer-reviewed publication."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sorre ... 2020-05-15
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... s/2346048/

https://www.law360.com/articles/1277141 ... o-fox-news

https://www.openpr.com/news/2066548/law ... erapeutics

(Sorrento sued for false claims).

Hope nobody on the forum fell for this, classic bait-and-switch tactic (obvious from the beginning). And people go dissing Baba Ramdev.

Please be wary of vaccine or cure claims in general. Science is one thing, marketing is another, Lancet of course is a whole different level.

Be neither the first, nor the last to adopt something new (don't know where I read this). Express vaccines with rushed safety trials can do way more harm than good.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Previous: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7800&start=6760#p2443888

July 3, 2020

Coronavirus Cases: 11,191,921
Deaths: 529,127
Recovered: 6,330,836

Active: 4,331,958
Serious/Critical: 58,836 (1%)

5-days to another million
4.73% death rate average (known cases and deaths)
56.57% recovery average (known cases and recovery)

Getting out of control
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Cytokine therapy gets backing from Aus
Cytokine therapy has received a boost from the Australian government. City doctors have submitted their report on the Phase 1 rials of six healthy individuals and are awaiting approval for the second phase.

Dr US Vishal Rao, regional director of head and neck surgical oncology and robotic surgery, HCG Cancer Centre said, “We screened seven patients and injected cytokine to six healthy volunteers. We are internally monitoring their immune system.”

“The Australian government has shown a lot of interest in our research,” he added.

The therapy involves injecting this cocktail of chemicals into patients with compromised immune systems.
I seriously doubt that we will have a vaccine by August 15th, regardless of whatever intentions ICMR and GoI has. From starting Phase-1 trials to final approval, squeezing the entire process in to a 6 week time frame is unprecedented I guess. ICMR has today clarified after a lot of backlash that it has no intentions of skipping any kind of safe guards towards vaccine development. What it meant by "fast tracking" is to clear up the red tapes so that file movement happens as fast as possible. Let's see...if we really achieve, it will be a water shed moment. Even AstraZeneca are saying that their vaccine will be ready by end year or early 2021 only. Realistically, if everything goes successful, that is the time frame I am expecting for Covaxin public usage as well.

Edit: BLR has recorded almost 1,200 cases today. Seeing massive spike in daily cases. Unless a complete lock down of BLR is imposed for 14-21 days, not sure what else can be done to control. As I see night curfew is not being followed strictly. Just a Sunday lock down will not serve much purposes anyways.
Last edited by Zynda on 04 Jul 2020 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

We've managed to UNFLATTEN the curve here in the US
US under Trump is on an express train to becoming a failed state. Every thing is a political fight. Why does wearing a mask have to become a left versus right? Lunacy.
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

Zynda wrote:.
Edit: BLR has recorded almost 1,200 cases today. Seeing massive spike in daily cases. Unless a complete lock down of BLR is imposed for 14-21 days, not sure what else can be done to control. As I see night curfew is not being followed strictly. Just a Sunday lock down will not serve much purposes anyways.
1800 cases and 42 deaths today in Karnataka.
What is worrying is low recoveries. In Delhi, all mild cases treated at home are counted among the recovered.
Karanataka follows the old ICMR policy on recovery?
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

To boost up immunity, kadha is being given in GJ too. Hopefully it's real stuff and not just another way to hand out work to circulate money.

While Maharashtra govt threatens action against Patanjali for Coronil, state municipal corporations endorse “unani kadha” as a remedy against coronavirus
https://www.opindia.com/2020/07/municip ... -covid-19/
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Pune Updates :
Cases : 19.8k
Active : 6.9k
Deaths : 0.9k

A corporator died yesterday, an MLA is already admitted last week and now even Mayor of Pune is infected.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Indian-led team develops cheap, electricity free centrifuge for COVID-19 testing
https://www.wionews.com/india-news/indi ... ing-310712
According to the scientists, including Manu Prakash from Stanford University in the US, the 'Handyfuge' device spins tubes containing patient saliva at very high speeds, enough to separate the virus genome from other components in the sample, without needing electricity.

They said the cheap centrifuge, described in a yet-to-be peer-reviewed study published in the platform medRxiv, can be assembled using readily available components for a cost less than five USD per unit.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

So BSY had a meeting this afternoon to reshuffle ministers in the Covid task force. Newly appointed chief of the task force is the Educational Minister Dr. Sudhakar. He is not too keen on a lock down. He thinks a lock down is not a solution and apparently one more member of the task force agreed with him. However, Sudhakar is saying that they might seal down areas where cases are more and not penalize economic activities in other parts of BLR where cases are less. I am not sure how effective sealing off selective areas will be, but at least ATM, it seems like Covid task force is not recommending lock down of BLR.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

But this Sunday curfew is a stupid idea. Lots of people on the streets today (traffic jam like pre-Covid times at Kundalahalli signal, for ex) trying to do whatever it is they wanted to do on Saturday evening. My guess: finish off some shopping before Sunday and the start of the work week. So the quantum of traffic was clearly very high compared to any recent weekday.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Fearing lockdown, many exit Bengaluru

Just an alarming excerpt...
As of July 4, the city has 7,250 patients under treatment.
And now the horror stories of shortage of beds again...

50-year-old woman dies after 12 hospitals refuse admission in Bengaluru
A 50-year-old woman with breathing difficulties died on Saturday after a shortage of beds forced 12 hospitals to refuse admission.

Her husband Babu said the family had approached 12 hospitals in three days, including Victoria Hospital and other private facilities, who all slammed their doors on them, citing a shortage of beds. The woman died on Saturday, a few minutes into her admission at KC General Hospital.

Second Death

A 35-year-old man, Manjunath, also died on Saturday after enduring fever for three days and being refused admission at several hospitals due to a shortage of beds.
Seriously, BSY & his administration has dropped the ball in terms of preparedness of BLR in dealing with Covid. We had other cities in India to look & take examples from and try to minimize damage. But BSY sat pretty just making tall claims about improving infrastructure which never materialized in its entirety. According to GoKar, they are using predictive analytics & other sophisticated tools in their war against Covid. Just using the experiences of other major metros around the world, BBMP could have used a ball park number (say on average around 20% of a major metro population are getting infected. Say 0.5% of the infected require critical care) and order ventilators, beds etc.

I guess the massive population plus severe urbanization provides conducive conditions for a pandemic. We can blame China to a certain extent for deceiving the world about Covid and allowing it to spread it around, but also we must share some blame on the apathy. And all these when BLR has not yet hit the peak...
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Raja wrote:

We've managed to UNFLATTEN the curve here in the US
US under Trump is on an express train to becoming a failed state. Every thing is a political fight. Why does wearing a mask have to become a left versus right? Lunacy.
I loved the man's politics and voted for him to be perfectly honest. But he botched this virus so badly. Everyone in the NRI community could see that blocking air travel from Cheen/Asia was worthless when you leave the backdoor open to Europe. We saw those goras flooding back in from Italy, Spain and France in February and knew we were in trouble. Quarantining based on race was not going to work. All of the cases in the US now trace back to Italy and Yurop.

But once the virus had settled here, he and the GOP basically went to war with his own health advisors. Dr. Fauci had not been invited to a White House press conference in weeks now. Trump refused to wear and mask and his followers turned that into a political statement. He championed anti-lockdown demonstrations which made political sense I guess when the virus was hitting the blue states the hardest. But this anti-mask, anti-social distancing stance is creating a disaster in the red states. With this going on, he publicly said that they should not test so much?!

He has disappointed me so much on this chini virus. It is one thing to go after Cheen on creating this scourge. But you still have to stop it from spreading. I can't see a way out of this until a vaccine. Things are too far gone. I have to be on edge for our family going forward for at least a year. I honestly don't know what to do when school starts in September. Maybe it'll be call off. I worry constantly for my parents. Thank God they are well enough and not in a nursing home like many of the parents of my gora acquaintances and neighbors. And thank goodness for the NRI community who are so much more sensible and careful about health and family.

There is such a f-ing strain of selfishness I see in the goras. It's just a common cold (egged on by Trump initially) for those young people. It will not affect my freedom. Freedom for you might mean death to your parents and grandparents, you selfish punk.

I don't know anymore. On the positive side, we might get to herd immunity faster than anyone I guess.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Another 4-years?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

chola wrote:
Raja wrote:
I loved the man's politics and voted for him to be perfectly honest. But he botched this virus so badly. Everyone in the NRI community could see that blocking air travel from Cheen/Asia was worthless when you leave the backdoor open to Europe. We saw those goras flooding back in from Italy, Spain and France in February and knew we were in trouble. Quarantining based on race was not going to work. All of the cases in the US now trace back to Italy and Yurop.

But once the virus had settled here, he and the GOP basically went to war with his own health advisors. Dr. Fauci had not been invited to a White House press conference in weeks now. Trump refused to wear and mask and his followers turned that into a political statement. He championed anti-lockdown demonstrations which made political sense I guess when the virus was hitting the blue states the hardest. But this anti-mask, anti-social distancing stance is creating a disaster in the red states. With this going on, he publicly said that they should not test so much?!

He has disappointed me so much on this chini virus. It is one thing to go after Cheen on creating this scourge. But you still have to stop it from spreading. I can't see a way out of this until a vaccine. Things are too far gone. I have to be on edge for our family going forward for at least a year. I honestly don't know what to do when school starts in September. Maybe it'll be call off. I worry constantly for my parents. Thank God they are well enough and not in a nursing home like many of the parents of my gora acquaintances and neighbors. And thank goodness for the NRI community who are so much more sensible and careful about health and family.

There is such a f-ing strain of selfishness I see in the goras. It's just a common cold (egged on by Trump initially) for those young people. It will not affect my freedom. Freedom for you might mean death to your parents and grandparents, you selfish punk.

I don't know anymore. On the positive side, we might get to herd immunity faster than anyone I guess.
:shock:
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Europe has been open for weeks, they seem to be doing fine. What are Dumbericans doing so wrong? Just plain lack of discipline I guess. I heard that in Arizona (or is that Alabama - probably the latter) they're still having COVID parties, with the first person to fall sick getting a prize :shock:. Urban legend? Knowing Alabama, I'd say - NOT!

No matter what you believe about the lethality of the disease, there's no excuse for being so cocky and disrespectful of the pathogen. And COVID is not the only thing going around, like I said, people seem to have blinkers on, they think other diseases and ailments are taking a break, munching pizza, watching COVID go and cheering from the sidelines.

These guys are probably the same ones, who package up lollipops which have been licked by kids sick with measles, and send them by post (actually illegal, they can be prosecuted) to other parents, who then try to use them to get their kids sick (anti-vaccers?). You can't get measles that way, but it seems you sure can get hep. C and other nasties.

Dumberica is going to get way worse, I think Fauci has it right, it's going to hit one lakh cases a day. Keep safe, whoever is in here. The one hopeful thing is that it seems to be infecting younger folks now, so hopefully hospitalizations and deaths stay down. But again, it depends on the infection load, getting the disease and getting over it is much easier if the initial load is minimal; but some folks in the USA seem to be on a mission to maximize their infection load.

As for India - I tend not to be so concerned about infection numbers, but the worrisome thing is, deaths are also rising, slowly but inexorably. I was concerned when deaths in India hit 300 per day, now they're at 500 to 600. Hospital overload is another major concern.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

The logic with respect to US is very simple. Whites don't believe that it poses any threat to them and that's the only thing that counts. Other than worrying about any liability, white America isn't worried about it. Every week I see lip service from my employer about "official" Covid19 policy of wearing mask or what not. But all for legal shield. There's practically no enforcement. And there's nothing that we do isn't important to nation's interest. Any disturbance would cause months of delays on critical projects. However, no worries.

What's puzzling is that even colored people are following whites. That includes SDREs. Just saw many SDRE updates about their long weekend celebrations and none of these updates seem to indicate that there's any worry about the virus. No mask SDRE BBQ parties from all over US
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ The covid parties are not urban legends. It's part rebellion and part political statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/alaba ... index.html

The parties are being held in Tuscaloosa, and infected people are urged to attend so others can intentionally contract the virus, City Council member Sonya McKinstry told CNN. She said she heard about the trend from fire officials.

"We thought that was kind of a rumors at first. We did some research, not only do the doctors' offices confirm it, but the state confirmed they also had the same information," she said.

During a presentation to the City Council this week, Fire Chief Randy Smith also said young people in the city are throwing parties with a payout if they catch coronavirus, McKinstry said.

The first person confirmed by a doctor to have coronavirus after the exposure wins the money made off the ticket sales, she said. Over the past few weeks, there have been several parties in the city and surrounding areas, and probably more that officials don't know about, she added.

"This is not political. This is a public health issue. People are dying and there is no cure. We have to do whatever we can to save as many lives as possible, McKinstry said.
Yes, India has issues but it is not willful disregard. India is doing everything it can with the resources it has.

America has many many times more resources but it is being infected at much higher rate. As bad as it gets in India, it will not reach what it happening here because people are trying to contain the scourge. In the US, there is a large segment because of politics who are actively fighting against any of the remediating efforts. It is frightening at times because it seems so irrational .
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

India has crossed Russia to become the 3rd hardest hit country. ATM surge is being fueled by Southern States, except Kerala.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

darshan wrote:The logic with respect to US is very simple. Whites don't believe that it poses any threat to them and that's the only thing that counts. Other than worrying about any liability, white America isn't worried about it. Every week I see lip service from my employer about "official" Covid19 policy of wearing mask or what not. But all for legal shield. There's practically no enforcement. And there's nothing that we do isn't important to nation's interest. Any disturbance would cause months of delays on critical projects. However, no worries.

What's puzzling is that even colored people are following whites. That includes SDREs. Just saw many SDRE updates about their long weekend celebrations and none of these updates seem to indicate that there's any worry about the virus. No mask SDRE BBQ parties from all over US
Darshan ji, there is no doubt a big racial element. But I think the bigger issue is politics. When NYC was at the height of its crisis, there were many who were literal cheering from the red states. This kind of insane partisanship had never happened during the Reagan or Bush years.

The mask and social-distancing edicts though critical and common sense from a medical aspect have become a dividing line between political views. Wearing or not wearing a f-ing mask has become just as divisive as supporting or not supporting gun control or abortion. It feels so irrational that it's like a descent into madness but it makes political sense.

I'm surprised at SDRE parties. Maybe I'm an old codger who keep company with other old codgers. But the desi families in our circle are so conscientious about keeping family and community safe. Masks and gloves when we go outside. A safety "bubble" where you have a select group of trust friends and family that you visit. Using delivery services instead going to stores, etc. I feel much safer among Indians these days to be perfectly honest.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

The Coverup of the Century | New documentary on how the CCP covered up the coronavirus outbreak |NTD

Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Stupid actions by people are happening in India as well.

Hospital is charging me Rs 1.15 lakh a day, says Covid-19 warrior under treatment

Part of the article contains stupid action...posting that part here
Two jewellers died, 12 tested positive after birthday party

Meanwhile, two jewellers who attended a birthday party two weeks ago in Hyderabad died of Covid-19 n a span of five days. Among others who tested positive was a prominent politician.

A diamond jeweller, 63, from the city's Himayat Nagar area threw party for about 150 people from different walks of life, like every year. Apart from relatives and people from the business, there were politicians. Three days later, he developed asthmatic symptoms and was hospitalised where he was found positive. He succumbed to the infection at the corporate hospital five days later. Another prominent jeweller, who had attended the party, also died due to Covid-19.

Many people who attended the party voluntarily underwent tests and 12 turned out positive. A ruling Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) leader currently holding a position, is among them.

All those affected are undergoing treatment at different hospitals.
People with money &/or influence will "buy" beds in top corporate hospitals while many others (who belong to lower walks of life) have to battle with hospitals refusals & harrow experience of finding a bed. Of course, all of the 150 above are stupid and equally culpable for attending a gathering in the first place.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

chola wrote:.
The mask and social-distancing edicts though critical and common sense from a medical aspect have become a dividing line between political views. Wearing or not wearing a f-ing mask has become just as divisive as supporting or not supporting gun control or abortion. It feels so irrational that it's like a descent into madness but it makes political sense.
Sir ji,
We may run circle here. There's clearly political red and blue here. Even at neighbouring county level where red county residents take pot shots at blue ones for allowing liberals to make policies. All this is pretty evident. However, the point I'm making is that whites control political scene and since they are not affected by virus as much, the political scene is a luxury availed to them. If they were affected like others then you would not see this political divide. End of the day all whites would come together on issues that affect them.
I'm surprised at SDRE parties. Maybe I'm an old codger who keep company with other old codgers. But the desi families in our circle are so conscientious about keeping family and community safe. Masks and gloves when we go outside. A safety "bubble" where you have a select group of trust friends and family that you visit. Using delivery services instead going to stores, etc. I feel much safer among Indians these days to be perfectly honest.
I'm also on old side but not on retired side yet. Even in April timeframe, I could see many SDREs playing cricket, vollyball, etc. in neighborhood playgrounds. Looking at these 4th July pictures, all I could do was scratch my head as some of these people were same that I would see shopping at Indian grocery store wearing N95 masks and going through multiple pairs of gloves.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://reason.com/2020/07/01/covid-19- ... w-studies/
COVID-19 Herd Immunity Is Much Closer Than Antibody Tests Suggest, Say 2 New Studies
"One interesting observation was that it wasn't just individuals with verified COVID-19 who showed T-cell immunity but also many of their exposed asymptomatic family members," said Karolinska researcher Soo Aleman. "Moreover, roughly 30 per cent of the blood donors who'd given blood in May 2020 had COVID-19-specific T cells, a figure that's much higher than previous antibody tests have shown."
In a second study, German researchers analyzed blood samples of 365 people, of which 180 had had COVID-19 and 185 had not. When they exposed the blood samples to the COVID-19 coronavirus, they found, as expected, that blood from those who had had the illness produced a substantial immune response. More significantly, they also found that 81 percent of the subjects who had never had COVID-19 also produced a T-cell immune reaction, reports The Science Times. If the German study's results prove out, that would suggest that earlier common cold coronavirus infections may provide about eight in 10 people some degree of immune protection from the COVID-19 virus.

The findings in both of these studies are potentially very good news with respect to public health and the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's hoping that future replications will validate them.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

ShyamSP wrote:
I'm glad they are finally pushing the medicine to market by working around "Colonial" health ministry/board rules.

Patanjali says didn’t claim 'cure’ for Covid; Ayush Ministry says Coronil is immunity booster & can't be sold as cure
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 728071.cms
...in the United States there is "structural racism" (defined by the Aspen Institute as "a system in which public policies, institutional practices, cultural representations, and other norms work in various, often reinforcing ways to perpetuate racial group inequity")
Ref: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/wil ... ted-states

Should we also define a similar word in common parlance for Indian context?
"Structural Colonialism" as "a system in which public policies, institutional practices, cultural representations, and other norms work in various, often reinforcing ways to perpetuate Colonialism and Hindu-inequality ".

Using English law, language, and definitions for judgments by the Indian judiciary is a good example of this Structural Colonialism in India. For example, the use of denomination in Sabarimala judgment.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

One of my cousins (Doctor) who is in Hyderabad got it. Spoke to him. You won't meet a smarter and nicer doctor. Visits patients for free. Does a lot of social work. He is doing OK so far. Started on Anti-viral. He thinks it is mild so far. He said he has been using HCQ for past 9 weeks and might have avoided due to this. He also thing HCQ usage might be linked to milder symptoms. Will watch and see how it turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

He said if symptoms get worse, they will start using Dexamethasone ...

I am really hoping CORONA PING and his deputies get this and die.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nic-plague
Suspected Bubonic Plague Case Reported in China’s Inner Mongolia
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

Covid-19 safety guidelines mandatory for a year in Kerala; Rs10K fine for not wearing masks.
1) Wearing of mask/ face cover: All persons shall cover their mouth and nose with the mask / face covers in
all public places, work places, all kinds of vehicles and during transport.
2) Social Distancing: All persons shall maintain social distance of six feet at public places and functions.
3)Fine : Rs 10,000 will be ned for not wearing masks in public places.
4) Marriage Function: A maximum of 50 people will be allowed for marriage celebrations in Kerala. All
people at the function must use sanitiser, wear face masks, and keep a social distance of six feet.
5) Funeral Functions: For the funeral of non-Covid-19 patients, up to 20 people will be permitted.
6) Social Gathering: For any social gathering, permission from local authority will be required.
7) Prohibition of spitting in public places: Spitting in public places will be strictly prohibited.
8 Registration of those visiting Kerala: Those who are coming to Kerala from other states need to register
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... KPvTO.html
Kerala capital Thiruvananthapuram to undergo 'triple lockdown' for a week.
The shutdown will be a triple lockdown, said the government in a statement. The Lock-I will restrict movement of all people in the district. The Lock-II will be enforced in hotspots of infection, where people will be mandatorily asked to stay-at-home. And the Lock-III will be enforced in the houses of primary and secondary contacts of covid-19 patients to be in compulsory room-quarantine.

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/ker ... 03790.html
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 802770.cms
Home Ministry’s ‘Unified NCR’ helps control Covid; Delhi moves out of watch lists
Delhi’s positive rate is now 13.6%, still a notch above the 9.1% national average. Almost all of Delhi’s districts have been among the top 15 districts of the country with a worryingly high positivity rate for several weeks now, even surpassing hotspot Mumbai last month.
Next big worry: Hospital beds.
A firm push resulted in sharp increase from 9,937 beds as on June 14 to 30,000 beds in Delhi today made possible after the home ministry got ITBP to have a 10,000-bed facility up at Radha Soami ashram, got 8,000 beds in 500-plus railways coaches and freed up 1,000 beds in facilities run by defence forces.
Nearly 500 oxygen cylinders, 440 ventilators, 10,000 oximeters were supplied by the Centre while Delhi was asked to double its ambulance ..
The home ministry’s ‘unified NCR’ approach for fighting Covid-19 seems to be paying off with Delhi, for perhaps the first time, not figuring in the danger zone of any of the key coronavirus watch lists.

Now can they do similar thing in B'lore?
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

ShyamSP wrote: ...
Should we also define a similar word in common parlance for Indian context?
"Structural Colonialism" as "a system in which public policies, institutional practices, cultural representations, and other norms work in various, often reinforcing ways to perpetuate Colonialism and Hindu-inequality ".

Using English law, language, and definitions for judgments by the Indian judiciary is a good example of this Structural Colonialism in India. For example, the use of denomination in Sabarimala judgment.
+1

A very aptly coined term. Forms of "Structural Colonialism" can unfortunately be seen in other pillars of our nation too..

Pls. copyright the word if you can. IMVHO it should be added to the BRF dictionary/list at the very least
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... times-says
Covid-Like Virus Was Sent to Wuhan in 2013, Sunday Times Says

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/seve ... -l5vxt7jqp
Revealed: Seven year coronavirus trail from mine deaths to a Wuhan lab
The world’s closest known relative to the Covid-19 virus was found in 2013 by Chinese scientists in an abandoned mine where it was linked to deaths caused by a coronavirus-type respiratory illness