Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by IndraD »

IndraD wrote:a more contagious mutant strain has been sweeping globe

More lethal mutant of nCV with a different spike protein on envelope has taken over the original strain in Eu & US, and matter needs immediate attention as antibody (plasma) treatment won’t work https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-11983554
confusion galore: Scientists find new mutation of coronavirus that mirrors a change in the 2003 SARS virus that showed the disease was weakening
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... eaker.html
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/ ... 574705.cms
Gilead in talks with Indian drugmakers to produce remdesivir
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

there is no conclusive evidence any drug works on covid19, no idea why & how FDA & Fauci are doing propaganda for Remdesivir ^^
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronaviru ... -mouth-is-
Combating coronavirus: Dh50 vaccine by July? Indian major puts its money where its mouth is
"We hope to begin mass production within two months. The cost will be approximately $60-80 million for a new plant we are setting up. We will export the vaccine if we feel there is enough supply, but first, we want to give it to our own country," Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute, told Khaleej Times.

It could cost as little as Rs1,000 (Dh50). Regulatory approvals from the Indian Council for Medical Research and other agencies will also need to be obtained. It remains a risky bet but the company hopes to produce 5 million doses per month from July and scale it up to have 40 million doses ready by September, the company's CEO said. The plan is to fast-track the production process to meet demand even as the vaccine is undergoing trials in the UK.

Serum, a Pune-based company, is among seven backers of the Oxford Vaccine Group to develop the vaccine that is now at the human trials stage. The trials began on April 23 and Poonawalla is guarded yet confident that the core vaccine team in the UK will pull it off in record time.
If this works, there will a huge pressure on Modi to give vaccine to US and even UK. They might even call for sanctions and if Modi gives it, he will be called all sorts of names in India by scum media. Same scums will be writing articles against him in white racists ragtags in US/UK if he doesn't give.

Shouldn't GOI put in money for 3-4 plants and even ask US/UK/Europe to invest? Should we not think in advance?
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

The guy who predicted 2.2 million deaths in US and half a million in UK.
UK scientist pushing social distancing resigns after violating rules with married lover

The scientist who convinced British Prime Minister Boris Johnson to finally shut down the country amid the coronavirus has resigned from his government post — after he was caught violating social-distancing rules by meeting up with his married lover, a report said Tuesday.

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, 51, whose nickname is “Professor Lockdown,” admitted to the Telegraph that he “made an error of judgment” by inviting Antonia Staats, 38, to his home at least twice while pushing strict distancing guidelines for the UK public, the paper said. Staats lives across London — with her husband and two children, the Telegraph said.

“I accept I made an error of judgment and took the wrong course of action,” Ferguson, a researcher with the Imperial College London, told the Telegraph. “I have therefore stepped back from my involvement in Sage [the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies].

“I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms,” he said.

“I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic. The government guidance is unequivocal and is there to protect all of us.”Ferguson led the scientific team that came up with the research that pushed Johnson to close down much of the country in late March, as the contagion was already well under way there. The PM later developed the virus and nearly died.

Ferguson has been very public in urging people to maintain strict social distancing and quarantining.

Staats is believed to have an open marriage, even telling pals about her affair with Ferguson, the Telegraph said.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

http://a.msn.com/01/en-gb/BB13Dz66?ocid=se
Imagine this had happened in India!!!
Namo and BJP would have been taken to the cleaners!!
Boris has some sympathy given that he contracted the virus!!
No guarantee that his head wont roll though!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Docs, there have been articles that finger oximeter readings at home might be a reliable indicator of when and if to see a doctor. Is it something you would recommend ?

my parents are in my hometown I am thinking if I should get them one for them to monitor oxygen levels regularly.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://twitter.com/WIONews/status/1258 ... 12960?s=20 (video)
Shi Zhengli is a Director at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. She is known as the 'batwoman' for her research into bats. She expertised in altering bat viruses. But, the top virologist has not been seen in public since the outbreak began. She might have defected to West abled by intel organisation FIVE EYE
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Rahul M wrote:Docs, there have been articles that finger oximeter readings at home might be a reliable indicator of when and if to see a doctor. Is it something you would recommend ?

my parents are in my hometown I am thinking if I should get them one for them to monitor oxygen levels regularly.
yes they are helpful buy them if you can.
Some of my colleagues have kept pulse oximeter at house.
Also in US people have bought CPAP machine & O2 cylinders from web (not advised).
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Rsatchi wrote:http://a.msn.com/01/en-gb/BB13Dz66?ocid=se
Imagine this had happened in India!!!
Namo and BJP would have been taken to the cleaners!!
Boris has some sympathy given that he contracted the virus!!
No guarantee that his head wont roll though!
cos govt wanted everyone to get infected in name of herd immunity, that was the initial plan but had to be changed due to public outrage.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 556879.cms
From zero, India now produces around 2 lakh PPE kits per day
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^ Good article. About 50% of the demand for PPE by government hospitals can be met domestically at current production levels. Imports (probably from China) have to continue for the rest of the demand from government and private institutions.

So this is one reason why an extended lock down was needed early on. Wonder what's happening on the ventilator and dialysis equipment front.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.rediff.com/news/interview/c ... 200506.htm
Indian scientists lead battle against COVID-19

'Unless we make our own testing kits, we will not get out of this disease faster.'
"The earlier you identify the person, you can isolate him faster. So, it is not only good for the patient, but for the population also. When an asymptomatic patient walks around, s/he spreads the virus," Dr Anoop Thekkuveettil, senior scientist in the division of molecular medicine at the Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology in Thiruvanathapuram, tells Shobha Warrier/Rediff.com in the second segment of a three-part interview.
You and your team developed the testing kit Chitra Gene Lamp-N first, and now Chitra Magna. What is the difference between the two?

They are not two different things; just two parts of a kit.

In COVID-19 detection, you need RNA isolation because this is an RNA virus. Only if you isolate the RNA can you convert it to the DNA.

After that you need to amplify it either in a lab or in a PCR (polymerase chain reaction, which is a method widely used in molecular biology to make millions of copies of a specific DNA sample).

We do lab LAMP (loop-mediated isothermal amplification) reaction of the DNA, and that's why our testing kit is called Chitra Lamp-N.

Chitra Magna is mainly to isolate the RNA, and it is part of Chitra Lamp-N.

Right now, all the RNA isolation kits, rather 99% of them, are coming from abroad. Because we do not have any good high-quality RNA isolation kit, we decided to develop it.

In fact, it is mainly for the LAMP reaction that we developed it.
Will you be able to make it in bulk so that it is available all over the country?

We plan to make the testing kit Chitra Lamp-N together with Chitra Magna, and also Chitra Magna alone, available in the market.

We have given the technology to a company in Kochi and they are making it in bulk.

We also plan to give it to three more companies so that more kits are available in the market. We will be signing an MoU with one of the biggest companies in the country very soon.

Is it because the genetic information specific to the coronavirus is in the RNA that the extraction of RNA is very important in detecting the virus?

Yes. Only by testing the RNA can you recognise whether it is COVID-19 or not. That's because every virus has a particular signature gene.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Sachin wrote:
Bart S wrote:It's well known that many will not take lockdowns seriously, but it is not up to the people. The whole point of the lockdown is that authorities must strictly enforce it. So, it means that the govts messed up the lockdown, no point in blaming people at large for the same.
What are the areas in which the governments (both state & central) messed up? What was the better way to implement the lock down?
I have no issues with the lockdown strategy, just the implementation.

At the state level there has been lax implementation at many states. Even the ones that had a good administration made disastrous decisions (e.g TN > Not closing Koyembedu market > 3-day 'strict lockdown' > Panic buying > Koyembedu cluster > new cases going up from an average of 40 or so per day previously to several hundred people - 700+ just today) and shot themselves in the foot. If you can't apply strict rules, arrest troublemakers and in parallel make basic necessities available as a govt, you can't sit back and complain later that people didn't follow rules. You can see UP managing to control it despite them probably being the highest risk state (especially after the forced migration from Delhi), and the highest proportion of 'peaceful' troublemakers, and that is because of strict govt, plan and simple.

Central govt strategy at the high level has been good, but the communication has let a lot to be desired. Also, they messed up by letting Tableeghis in on eVisa and not controlling the situation in Delhi more proactively.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

vijayk wrote:https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronaviru ... -mouth-is-
Combating coronavirus: Dh50 vaccine by July? Indian major puts its money where its mouth is
"We hope to begin mass production within two months. The cost will be approximately $60-80 million for a new plant we are setting up. We will export the vaccine if we feel there is enough supply, but first, we want to give it to our own country," Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute, told Khaleej Times.

It could cost as little as Rs1,000 (Dh50). Regulatory approvals from the Indian Council for Medical Research and other agencies will also need to be obtained. It remains a risky bet but the company hopes to produce 5 million doses per month from July and scale it up to have 40 million doses ready by September, the company's CEO said. The plan is to fast-track the production process to meet demand even as the vaccine is undergoing trials in the UK.

Serum, a Pune-based company, is among seven backers of the Oxford Vaccine Group to develop the vaccine that is now at the human trials stage. The trials began on April 23 and Poonawalla is guarded yet confident that the core vaccine team in the UK will pull it off in record time.
If this works, there will a huge pressure on Modi to give vaccine to US and even UK. They might even call for sanctions and if Modi gives it, he will be called all sorts of names in India by scum media. Same scums will be writing articles against him in white racists ragtags in US/UK if he doesn't give.

Shouldn't GOI put in money for 3-4 plants and even ask US/UK/Europe to invest? Should we not think in advance?
Serum Institute does not have the patent for it, this is an Oxford university developed vaccine and has been opened up for licensed manufacture by Oxford to multiple vaccine manufacturers worldwide. So people can be asked to buy from their own domestic companies.

Also, those scum will badmouth India regardless of what we do, so who cares.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

anmol wrote:The guy who predicted 2.2 million deaths in US and half a million in UK.
Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, 51, whose nickname is “Professor Lockdown,” admitted to the Telegraph that he “made an error of judgment” by inviting Antonia Staats, 38 ...
Who is Antonia Staats?
Ms Staats, 38, is a left-wing campaigner who works for US-based online network Avaaz.
The organisation promotes global activism on issues such as climate change.
She grew up in Isny, south Germany, went to university in Berlin and came to London in 2003.
Ms Staats gained a masters in Asian politics from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London.
These left european youngistan folks seem to have extensive network and are deeply entrenched (in this case literally in bed with) into the policy making fabric of the Eurostan.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Avaaz? I smell a Paki.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

sanjaykumar wrote:Avaaz? I smell a Paki.
Soros.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Yes, Soros OSF linked. MoveIt!, and a few others are related. They are all in bed and very promiscuous, I mean figuratively speaking. They are breeding like rabbits. I could never guess $1 billion can go that far. It is peanuts of GOI wants to up the ante for Soros bum.

Wikipedia page on Avaaz (This should have been named as aavaaz had they followed consistent rules for the first a as well as the second a - both long in Urdu but these Eurostani 'global citizen' bozos can't think)
Another Canadian, conservative media personality Ezra Levant,[36] tried to make a link between Soros and Avaaz.org as an indirect supporter through MoveOn, but the article was later retracted as baseless and an apology was offered to Soros
Probably Levant (from Levant?) was threatened by the 'fancy dress' PM and/or his minions. Anyways, this is going way OT for this dhaagaa.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 07 May 2020 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Avaaz founder is Ricken Patel, a Canadian. Patel was born in Edmonton, Alberta, to a Kenyan-born Indian father of Gujarati origin and an English mother with Jewish heritage. --Wiki
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

:mrgreen: Ballioli College, Oxford Univ.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Are lifestyle diseases like Diabetes and HyperTension communicable diseases? I would argue yes based on the transmission of lifestyle leading to obesity. That discussion requires a nuanced understanding but will address it later.

I have stated earlier, and even now going on the limb. I fear TB. It is highly infectious with no vaccine. 1200 Indians die every day. Why is that infectious disease not a concern?

Again going on a limb., Compared to TB, ChinaVirus is a walk in the park!

Given that as a nation can we not figure out how to fight ChinaVirus?

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/prime-min ... int-so-bad

We did our best to contain it. Now that it is breaking out, our way of dealing with it must change. We must evolve protocols that require us to take care of it as if it is endemic.

Of course, the first thing that must stop is this "Sky will fall". Yes, once the infected shows symptoms, the death rate is anywhere between 4-6%. It is far better than TB.
Covid-19, for all its infectiousness, has killed 1,694 Indians so far. In the foreseeable future (which means till August-end), it may not kill more than 25,000 people. That would be far less than the numbers already killed in each one of the following countries — US, UK, Spain, Italy and France — as of today.

The idea here is not to be casual about the human tragedy involved in every single death, but when it comes to making policies, it is this larger perspective that needs to be kept in mind.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

disha wrote: I have stated earlier, and even now going on the limb. I fear TB. It is highly infectious with no vaccine. 1200 Indians die every day. Why is that infectious disease not a concern?
What is BCG vaccine for?
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

^^ Wasn't the reason India never got rid of TB was due to NGO vultures who made a hue and cry about AIDS when it first appeared in 80s. That diverted precious healthcare resources away from TB, giving it chance to thrive again.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

West Bengal govt identifies over 92,000 respiratory, flu-like cases; confirms 1,344 COVID-19 positive patients so far
he West Bengal government has identified over 92,000 cases of influenza-like illness and 870 people with severe acute respiratory illness across the state, findings that serve as "early warning signals" in the fight against COVID-19, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said.

Mamata said the results were the outcome of her government's extensive door-to-door surveillance over a month in April, covering over 5.5 crore households, and the exercise will continue "till the virus is defeated".
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

sooraj wrote:West Bengal govt identifies over 92,000 respiratory, flu-like cases; confirms 1,344 COVID-19 positive patients so far
he West Bengal government has identified over 92,000 cases of influenza-like illness and 870 people with severe acute respiratory illness across the state, findings that serve as "early warning signals" in the fight against COVID-19, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said.

Mamata said the results were the outcome of her government's extensive door-to-door surveillance over a month in April, covering over 5.5 crore households, and the exercise will continue "till the virus is defeated".

Wow just wow.

Raise your hands if you were surprised by this increase in numbers.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

And no one takes action on her for putting millions of people in danger. Our nation is such a sham. The people who love the country shouldn't play by the rules or morality. 'cause no one playing by it anywhere.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 590259.cms
Looks like Trump is upping the ante, calling Wuhan virus worse than Pearl harbour attack.
Will there be a return of 'Cold War.'!!
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

vimal wrote:^^ Wasn't the reason India never got rid of TB was due to NGO vultures who made a hue and cry about AIDS when it first appeared in 80s. That diverted precious healthcare resources away from TB, giving it chance to thrive again.
Partly. And second, there is no money in putting together a vaccine research and production program. On top of it several National TB Control Program want it to continue since that is an apple cart. Small apples, still an apple cart.

Education, Medicine and Real Estate are the three most corrupt services in India.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

saip wrote: What is BCG vaccine for?
BCG vaccine does not give you complete immunity. It is spotty, in the sense that it protects only 20% children https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4122754/. And if one is already exposed, its use is even iffier.

In India, it might be given at birth to "break the chain" of transmission. Also, it protects against leprosy and sepsis. Hence countries like India continue to have BCG (safe, cheap and generally protects against TB/Leprosy/Sepsis to a degree).
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

saip wrote:
disha wrote: I have stated earlier, and even now going on the limb. I fear TB. It is highly infectious with no vaccine. 1200 Indians die every day. Why is that infectious disease not a concern?
What is BCG vaccine for?
And there are treatments (sure there are drug resistant varieties). Doesnt cause as many infections as quickly and hence, doesnt lead to health care collapse. Mortality is not comparable.

Edit: removed "BCG exists and works fine" after seeing Disha Saar's comment above.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

IndraD wrote:
Rahul M wrote:Docs, there have been articles that finger oximeter readings at home might be a reliable indicator of when and if to see a doctor. Is it something you would recommend ?

yes they are helpful buy them if you can.
Some of my colleagues have kept pulse oximeter at house.
Also in US people have bought CPAP machine & O2 cylinders from web (not advised).
Thanks. I will.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

DrRatnadip wrote: I am unsure.. Hope we are not loosing salvagable patients in govt setups.. Need to utilize private sector in better way..
As reported in today's TOIlet paper, the govt setup in Pune atleast is typical of the stereotype that we have heard of .
- filthy conditions including absolutely disgusting toilets.
- Mismanagement and crowding of even confirmed COVID patients with 6 closely in a room. One patient seems to have had his infection become worse.
- Rude support staff, with no control by docs as in private setups.
- No transfer of patients to private setups even if the patient is willing to pay for better care.
- Intubating patient after death, after rigor mortis had set in, leading to breakage of the tube. Tube left inside the body :shock:

No wonder people are not willing to seek help, single source or otherwise.
PUNE: Rude medical staffers treating patients like “untouchable”, filthy toilets and unpalatable food, coronavirus patients recall
their ordeal at government-run hospitals in the city, which scared and shook them more than the disease.
After finding blood in his vomit, a Kondhwa resident landed at the government hospital where he was made to wait for one
hour before anybody checked on him. “I was attended to only after the people who were sitting next to me told the staffers that
I looked very sick and needed urgent attention. They then did some investigations,” he said.
After conducting the basic check-up, the person was told to get admitted in the hospital. “At this juncture, a nurse called out my
name from at least a 100-ft distance, leaving me wondering if somebody really called out my name or was I just hallucinating. In
no condition to walk due to breathlessness, I somehow managed to give my swab sample for Covid-19,” he recalled.
When his test report came positive for coronavirus the next morning, he was shifted to an upper floor. With his condition
worsened through the night, he was unable to even get out of his bed. Yet, at the time of shifting, he was made to walk two
floors above. “When I reached the designated ward, I saw six beds kept very close to each other in a room. I didn’t have cough
then, but contracted it after being shifted to the ward where other patients were coughing consistently,” he said.
The patient was then asked to collect his breakfast. “I was surprised that I had to go outside my ward in another passage for
breakfast. Even water was kept there. So, patients wanting to drink water had to go there and fill up their bottles,” he said,
adding, “I did not even take a bath or refreshed myself at the room-attached washrooms as it was filthy and would stink badly. I
did not see any anybody cleaning it either.”
By the end of the day, he started throwing up blood again in his vomit. “Though I tried to tell the nurses, they did not help. They
put two tablets in a paper chit and gave to me. The next morning, when I told the doctors what I had gone through the entire
night, they told me that I was going to be shifted to another hospital,” he said, adding, “There was a marked difference in the
facilities and treatment in the second hospital," he added.
Another patient, who was admitted in Sassoon hospital, said the medical staff treated all the patients like "untouchables". A
recovered patient whose 55-year-old mother is still undergoing treatment at Sassoon hospital said, "My mother keeps pleading
me to take her away from the hospital. She tells me that the staffers are extremely rude. The bathroom is also very dirty and
food quality extremely poor. She barely manages to eat chapati and the vegetable provided to her."
Patients undergoing care at the Sassoon hospital also expressed their anger about non-cooperative class four staff. "Despite
being conscious, mamas (class four staff) always put an adult diaper around me. When I asked for a pot, they refused. They
even didn’t allow me to use the loo when I was healthy enough to move around," a 40-year-old Covid-19 survivor from Tadiwala
Road said.
A 49-year-old patient from Wanowrie said, “I had moderate symptoms of coronavirus. Though I was not intubated or on
ventilator support, I was not allowed to eat food at the Sassoon hospital. They gave me parenteral nutrition through the drip.
After some private doctors serving at the hospital raised their voice against it, people like me were allowed food."
When contacted, acting dean of the Sassoon hospital Muralidhar Tambe said, “We have conducted at least two
workshops with the hospital staffers on this aspect of treating the patients. I think there has been improvement in the behaviour. At the same time, I also feel that there is scope for improvement. We will surely look at it closely and see how we can give better treatment to patients."
A top official of a private hospital in the city said, "We are receiving calls from patients and their relatives on daily basis that they
want to shift to our hospital. These patients are already taking treatment at government hospitals. They want to shift for sheer
lack of facilities, ill-treatment and uncleanliness. However, we are now allowed to take such patients unless referred by these
hospitals according to the protocol."

Appalling!

Article Link
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Testing: Status Update:
A total of 1357413 samples have been tested as on 7 May 2020, 9 AM IST.

24 April 2020 - 541789 [ 41247 tested, 1667 positive (4.04%) ]
25 April 2020 - 579957 [ 38168 tested,1408 positive (3.68%) ]
26 April 2020 - 625309 [ 45352 tested, 1835 positive (4.04%) ]
27 April 2020 - 665819 [ 40510 tested, 1607 positive (3.96%) ]
28 April 2020 - 716733 [ 50914 tested, 1568 positive (3.07%) ]
29 April 2020 - 770764 [ 54031 tested, 1902 positive (3.52%) ]
30 April 2020 - 830201 [ 59437 tested, 1705 positive (2.86%) ]
1 May 2020 - 902654 [ 72453 tested, 1801 positive (2.48%) ]
2 May 2020 - 976363 [ 73709 tested, 2396 positive (3.25%) ]
3 May 2020 - 1046450 [ 70087 tested, 2564 positive (3.65%) ]
4 May 2020 - 1107233 [ 60783 tested, 2952 positive (4.85%) ]
5 May 2020 - 1191946 [ 84713 tested, 3656 positive (4.31%) ]
6 May 2020 - 1276781 [ 84835 tested, 2971 positive (3.50%) ]
7 May 2020 - 1357413 [ 80632 tested, 3602 positive (4.47%) ]
Krita
BRFite

Post by Krita »

sajo wrote:
DrRatnadip wrote: I am unsure.. Hope we are not loosing salvagable patients in govt setups.. Need to utilize private sector in better way..
As reported in today's TOIlet paper, the govt setup in Pune atleast is typical of the stereotype that we have heard of .
- filthy conditions including absolutely disgusting toilets.
- Mismanagement and crowding of even confirmed COVID patients with 6 closely in a room. One patient seems to have had his infection become worse.
- Rude support staff, with no control by docs as in private setups.
- No transfer of patients to private setups even if the patient is willing to pay for better care.
- Intubating patient after death, after rigor mortis had set in, leading to breakage of the tube. Tube left inside the body :shock:

No wonder people are not willing to seek help, single source or otherwise.
Article Link[/url]
The state of small hospitals and clinics in Pune is pathetic. I had a stomach infection and my roommate took me to a local hospital in Chinchwad. After witnessing the poor hygiene and care, I took a discharge ( had a big argument with the doctor) and got admitted in Aditya Birla hospital near Dangechowk. Delhi is no better, local clinics are even worse than those in Pune. Nurses are very low skilled (was struggling to locate vein), no gloves or proper equipment. They were using dirty gloves with blood spots as tourniquet during injection and while inserting IV. They were using non disposable syringes, the needles were replaced. The attendent destroying the needles on a electric syringe destroyer wasn't using any protection.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

sajo wrote: - No transfer of patients to private setups even if the patient is willing to pay for better care.
What is Govt's reasoning behind not allowing Pvt. hospitals to accept Covid patients? High-time we rope them in to reduce pressure on Govt hospitals.

Also, it seems like State Governments' CM (including BJP ruled ones) requested strongly PM to allow liquor sales in green, orange & even red zones as a means of collecting revenues as states were near bankruptcy. Bound to have an impact on the number of cases in the next 2 weeks. The liquor opening coincided with migrant movement mess and both of them could be responsible for large out breaks.

I don't know if GoI can afford to introduce more lockdowns (due to economic reasons) or we'll just have to learn to live with the disease.

BBMP created this COVID Dashboard which was a great way of keeping track of progression of cases in BLR. As with most Govt setups, the thing has stopped working after a couple of days.

BBMP COVID Dashboard
All I get is rectangular box spinning...hopefully it will get fixed.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

MyLab has increased production to 2 lakhs kit per day. Then there is the paper strip test, developed by CISR. Along with that there are many other companies now producing local test kits.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Why are the govts not mandating that every every one stepping out of the house should wear a mask. The liquor rush is predictable, at least wearing a mask and strict 6 ft distance must have been enforced. Also once there were about 50 people in front of any store, the rest must have been turned back and told to come later.

It's shocking so many would rather risk their life than wait a few more days till the rush is over.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

A 31 year old police constable dies within 2 days of symptoms showing up in form of fever and breathing difficulty. And the issue of hospital availability, that too in Delhi.

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/coronav ... ls-2224726

For those who are not taking this seriously.