Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Amber G. »

Here is South Korea's situation - looking through SUTRA Model:
(The situation in Singapore, HK is similar - see past posts)

Some data for SK.
Vaccines: About 87% fully vaccinated, About 60% boosted.

Type of vaccines: Initially mostly AZ (= Covidshield), recent few months about ~50% Pfizer, ~25% Moderna ~25% AZ and some J&J etc.

SUTRA computed graph (and actual numbers):

Some conclusions, thoughts and learnings for India and US.

- Note that they have done quite well till the Omicron wave. For almost two years, they mainly did by aggressively isolating infections. Since January however, the numbers have blown up due to Omicron. (I mentioned before - more of 'Kerala model' (instead of 'UP model') so to speak).

- Analysis using SUTRA model we see: Until beginning of January this year, ρ was about .1. Reach of the pandemic was ~10% only or in other words the country had managed to contain the pandemic to within 10% of population. (For India this number on average 80-90% before Omicron).

- One can say that this is due to vaccinating (~87% of population fully vaccinated) Vaccination reduces reach. However, it is also known that vaccination gives immunity to only about 60% people against delta, which translates to to about ~50% population becoming immune.

- So if "controls" were similar to India, one would have expected ρ to be about .5 but thanks to the strict control it was .1. Omicron passed the vaccine immunity in a major way. ρ from data now , in middle of January reached .75 (75% of the population). The phase is still *not* stable - drifting quite a bit so trajectory may even be higher than plotted above.

- In hindsight, a "controlled expansion of reach" over past two years would have served South Korea better. (The details/technical about this obviously some what complicated but is given in IITK's study about "UP Model" which UP used).

- Singapore situation is somewhat similar - Their reach was ~13% in September when delta came and increased it to ~22%. Omicron has taken it to ~78% at present.

(There are collection of a few very nice papers in Nature which gives more information about effects of vaccines and validates, these conclusions too) (https://www.nature.com/nature/volumes/602/issues/7898).

In India's case unless there is a completely new variant which by-passes even the natural immunity in a major way we are not going to see any further peak. (Strongly disagree with some news paper headlines citing "IIT K study)

Strict / aggressive isolation methods ( like travel restrictions, lock downs, closing foreign flights etc) can buy some time, and slow the spread but in practice this "Zero Covid Strategy" (as applied by NZ, China etc) does not seem to work. Till we get the whole world vaccinated or wipe the pandemic - the variant with high beta will not be stopped by lockdowns alone.

For India the recommendations are - keep aggressive vaccination campaign, invest in good health care to reduce deaths, Monitor the situation and start opening up. (trust in scientists - when and where apply local control measures from the available data rather than strict lock downs etc).

I remain quite optimistic. Especially as many states are listening and trusting scientists.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile in US - Some exciting news about vaccination ..

Covaxin gets FDA nod for clinical trials in adults in US

And Novavax (=Covavax - India's version) may get approved very soon:

The U.S. is about to approve a fourth COVID vaccine that could be a silver bullet solution to the anti-vax crisis
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Zynda wrote:Amber G., based on your interactions with folks in India who are in contact with higher echelons of GoI/Health Ministry etc., any estimates when GoI might start relaxing on certain Covid restrictions like mask mandates?

Anyways, appreciate you keeping us informed on latest developments in this thread.
Recently a US based NRI contracted Covid in. Hyderabad despite having booster after two doses of Pfizer.
He thinks got it from his aunt who was later diagnosed with Covid. She was double vaccinated.

His wife, a doctor thinks if he had worn masks he ouldnthave got it.

I am wearing a mask despite stares in California.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Amber G. wrote:
Manish_P wrote:IIT-K predicting 4th wave in India around June 2022
This is NOT a prediction by SUTRA's consortium by *any* shape or form. SUTRA model does not do such prediction. I have seen the headlines and stories, after seeing this above post, too and want to make sure the audience here does not get confused. so called "IITK team" - or some people are from IITK" is *not* endorsed/reported by IIT Kanpur officially from what I can see. They certainly are different than people involved in SUTRA (I have confirmed that *no one* from sutra team is suggesting such peak .)

Both data used, and math behind SUTRA model is in public domain. Do your own calculation (or ask someone you can trust) . To be clear this model does not (indeed cannot) predict when (or if) the next wave will come with scientific confidence with the data and knowledge we have.

I can say any major fourth wave appears very unlikely in India's case. UNLESS there is a new variant which bypasses the natural (and vaccine induced) immunity is a *very* significant way.
News reports in local papers are saying the opposite. The Maharashtra government or the BMC was going to wind up the jumbo hospitals given the low case load and contracts has been issued for the same. Apparently from the advice of the IIT-K team doing mathematical modelling (paraphrasing the marathi report), the fourth wave is likely to hit soon and hence they stopped winding up the hospital. The report also mentioned the said team is predicting that the fourth wave will be more deadlier and higher than earlier wave.

Of course, this is Mah gov so it could be a stunt for more corruption, but report was quite specific about IIT-K team doing modelling.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Tanaji wrote:
Amber G. wrote: This is NOT a prediction by SUTRA's consortium by *any* shape or form. SUTRA model does not do such prediction. I have seen the headlines and stories, after seeing this above post, too and want to make sure the audience here does not get confused. so called "IITK team" - or some people are from IITK" is *not* endorsed/reported by IIT Kanpur officially from what I can see. They certainly are different than people involved in SUTRA (I have confirmed that *no one* from sutra team is suggesting such peak .)

I can say any major fourth wave appears very unlikely in India's case. UNLESS there is a new variant which bypasses the natural (and vaccine induced) immunity is a *very* significant way.
News reports in local papers are saying the opposite. ..<snip> .. but report was quite specific about IIT-K team doing modelling.
As I tried to make it clear: The report getting much attention in Indian Newspapers is NOT from SUTRA team. SUTRA consortium leaders are Prof Mahindra Agrawal (IIT-K), Prof Vidyasagar (IITH) and Dr. Madhuri Kanitkar and here is from the source itself:

<Link the statement of Prof Manindra Agrawal >
There is a recent study from IIT Kanpur about fourth wave that is causing some confusion. I wish to clarify that it is from a different group, and not from SUTRA team.
Our model does not have the ability to predict when the next wave will come. We can predict possible trajectory of next wave only after assuming its starting date.

For what it is worth, I do not believe that the next wave, if at all it comes, will have a long duration.
(He goes on to expand it little further and explains why it is unlikely in India's case)

(Please see the full post from link above - it says what I have explained in my posts in details)

(The newspaper's are little irresponsible - they could easily have contacted IITK/ Sutra etc and make the story clear but the did not).

What I posted above in previous post, I stand by and this is what SUTRA team people's position is)
Hope this helps. (Basically there is no fourth wave (unless something drastically changes) per SUTRA model).

Hope this is useful.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Thanks, I wasn’t aware that there are two separate teams at IITK doing similar modelling exercises. Initially had assumed that it was Mah gov just using an incorrect report as an excuse.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Study report in Nature
Whole genome sequencing reveals host factors underlying critical Covid-19

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04576-6
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ramana wrote:

I am wearing a mask despite stares in California.
Someone shared this - sharing it here :)
A new employee who has been with us for 7 days called me stupid today for wearing my mask and he also got to find out that I'm his boss during a meeting. It was really fun!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ramana wrote:I am wearing a mask despite stares in California.
FWIW: In California bay area - A suddenly 3-straight days of wastewater SARSCoV2 increase found in Palo Alto & Mountain View--similar to late Jan levels. Such signals usually foretells rising COVID19 cases about 2 weeks later..Keep your eyes on current situation as the cases may start to rise and Masking becomes more important.
(I have advised my family to be remain extra careful - all are still wearing masks in indoor setting outside the home)

(Link: https://covid19.sccgov.org/dashboard-wastewater

Added later: (The BA2 now has a 80-90% growth advantage versus old Omicron in the US - Expect uptick by April, and cases to surge more in late April / May.. in any case, now would be a very good time to start getting ready again to get those masks back and turn on HEPA filters and ventilate indoor public spaces.. you may need them. This part is for California (and some other parts of US) but monitoring the situation everywhere is of course important.
For India - things keep looking the same as posted before.. For Europe, it looks like a new wave is going to start or already started )
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Why hasn't the GoI started vaccinating the 12-14 year olds yet? With both Corbevax and Covavax (in addition to Covaxin) having been approved for vaccination of this age group, there is plenty of doses made in India that are available now. Why not get these children vaccinated while there is a lull in new infections?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Vaccinations for 12-14 years old starts (March 16) and also all 60+ are eligible for boosters.
(The vaccine to be administered for 12-14 would be mainly Corbevax)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile - Mainland China reports 5000+ new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record. (Per news reports)
Shekhar Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shekhar Singh »

Amber G. wrote:Meanwhile - Mainland China reports 5000+ new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record. (Per news reports)
Which variant?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ The news is being reported in all main-stream media (eg NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/14/worl ... downs.html).. Not much detail except major news about the massive lock-downs.

China does *not* share its data to the extent as most other nations do, so details are kind of sketchy..

Europe (Most nations) are showing a clear rise (generated by BA2 Omicron) in cases. Many states (about 15% places) in USA showing higherRNA concentration in wastewater -- so there is likely hood of another wave (in end of April/May time period). So watching the CDC guidelines are important.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^So there is a possibility of BA.2 making its way in to India as well? Is it too early to assess hospitalisation rates caused by BA2? Also so far is it as mild of original Omicron?
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Amber G. wrote:Meanwhile - Mainland China reports 5000+ new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record. (Per news reports)
In contrast India has reported around 2500 new cases for the past three days!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

saip wrote:
In contrast India has reported around 2500 new cases for the past three days!
Just for perspective:
South Korea reports 400,741 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record.

Even New Zealand (Population less than half of Bengaluru) reports 24 new coronavirus deaths, (the biggest one-day increase on record), and 19,524 new cases.
---
China's situation is obviously very concerning...it may be a tipping point..
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I wonder what the variant specific death rates are in Hong Kong.

I suspect BA2 is better adapted to East Asian phenotypes. And also has a higher vaccine escape probability. I think China is headed for a disaster. I don’t think other populations necessarily are.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For US: Hospitalizations during the Omicron wave for children less than age 5 were 5-fold higher than with Delta or any other time in the US pandemic..

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/ ... mm7111e2_w

(The main cause of infections in some families I know were kids in kindergarten (or birthday parties), they bring it home. All in the family get it later on ..even grand parents involved some times..Most cases went well due to high vaccination rates among these families) ..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Zynda wrote:^^So there is a possibility of BA.2 making its way in to India as well? Is it too early to assess hospitalisation rates caused by BA2? Also so far is it as mild of original Omicron?
Not only "possibility" but BA.2 is already a prominent strain in India - this is monitored -- but data is not surprising ... BA.2 appears inherently more transmissible than BA.1 (BA.1 I believe (from data I have seen) is still most common Omicron sublineage in India but BA.2 is increasing much faster). But the trajectory (SUTRA model) with BA.2 is not too different --in nutshell for India, I don't see any new peak in near future. Unless a completely new variant which by passes the natural immunity in significant way - and that kind of variant no one can predict when in any sure way - India's situation (mainly natural immunity acquired) is quite different than SK etc.

Hospital data from different countries are collected in different ways but for some countries there is good data in public domain. One thing is becoming quite clear - and a good news - fully vaccinated (boosted) people's hospitalization is *very* low. Recent detail study (about 1 million data points) gives the same.

Meanwhile - Obama, US Surgeon General, Kamala Harris's husband, and some quite well known scientists/doctors in India and US are among who did not escape from the virus.

Stay safe...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote: (about 15% places) in USA showing higherRNA concentration in wastewater -- so there is likely hood of another wave (in end of April/May time period). So watching the CDC guidelines are important.
I am seeing in *many* places more and more people are no longer wearing masks .

Reproducing the map (data from CDC).. Cases normally starts going up about 2 weeks later .. if you are near the region(s) shown below - Keep those masks handy --your community may start to see the rise again..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Sharing *BIG* Announcement: Prof Manindra Agrawal will be leading Risk Surveillance Centre

IIT Kanpur officially announcing -
Cll Risk Surveillance Centre- one of its kind Centre supported by industries was launched today. The centre aims to develop models that provide reliable future course predictions and thus help make decisions driven by data.

The centre will also identify and monitor long term trends and enable decision makers to develop strategies to address the pandemic.

The centre also plans to research and evaluate the effectiveness of various policies and interventions in risk mitigation for specific domains based on data available at national and international levels. The centre will be led by Prof Manindra Agrawal.

The centre is being established with the support of leading corporates such as Shriram,
Jubilant Food Works; National Engineering Industries Ltd. (CK Birla Group); and CII Foundation.
After the Covid19 pandemic, evidence-based strategy and readiness are now widely recognised as essential for strengthening public health policies and minimising the impact of infectious diseases.
Many well known names, including Hari S Bhartia ( Chairman, CII Task Force on Risk , Dr Randeep Guleria (Chairman CII Public Health Council & Director AIMS), Prof Abhay Karandikar (Director IIT Kanpur), Managing Director of Bharat Biotech (Covaxin) are associated with this venture.

There are two detail reports are at IITK site. One can read it there - I may be putting some main points here.

The site is at: https://icrsc.in/
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Dr. Ashish Jha is NOT to be trusted as he is a promoter of Barkha Dutt and ilk. He is anti-Indian by all reasonable measure and is more of a political hack than a doctor or epidemiologist. As part of Brown University's COVID-19 Dashboard, which got good attention in the US, he also commented on COVID-19 in India.

See: https://globalepidemics.org/2021/04/27/ ... -in-india/
“If you ask me how many people are actually getting infected in India every day, I would say it’s a least one million.”

–Dr. Ashish K. Jha, Dean, Brown School of Public Health

The number of daily new COVID infections in India has exploded, from about 10,000/day on February 11th, to about 18,000/day February 26th – doubling the number of infections in just two weeks. Infections continued to grow in March, alarming public health observers, but little action was taken by the Indian government. Today, there are about 350,000 infections per day in India, with a test positivity about 20 to 23% nationally, which indicates the true number of infections may be three times that.

“In my living memory, I have never seen India gripped by this level of despair.”

–Barkha Dutt, Indian Journalist, Washington Post Columnist

Reporting from the front lines of this crisis, Ms. Dutt has documented the grim realities of India’s second wave. Overwhelmed and overcrowded hospitals lack critical, life-saving supplies like oxygen. Those fortunate to be admitted to hospital are asked to sign forms releasing the hospital from liability if death results from the hospital’s inability to provide treatment due to stockouts or other problems.

“It is not the fault of doctors and it is not the fault of hospitals, but peoples’ pain is turning to fury. Their helplessness is turning to rage.”

The sick can’t get care, the dead aren’t being accurately counted for fear the numbers will be too alarming. Officially, about 2,000 people are dying (of COVID) every day in India, but most experts estimate that the true number is 5 to 10 times that. Data is skewed, underreported, manipulated.

“If you do not go to these burial grounds and cremation sites, you do not find the gap between the official data and what’s actually happening on the ground.”

How did India get to catastrophe?
“…as a country and as a state, we declared victory too soon, we were complacent, we were callous, we were ignorant, and we were casual.”

Lessons learned early in the pandemic about how to limit infections have been forgotten, with crowds packing cricket stadiums, political rallies, movie halls, and other places and creating potential superspreader events. Testing is spotty and inadequate. Temporary field hospitals have been dismantled, removing now-critical beds. Vaccines thought to be in excess supply were sold to other countries, failing to anticipate the overwhelming need for vaccines now.

“India is doing a very inadequate job of genomic surveillance [that] lets you figure out where are things spreading, which variants are spreading where, and gives you a lot of insights into where things will go next.”

–Dr. Ashish K. Jha, Dean, Brown School of Public Health

Ideally, India should be genomic sequencing 5 to 10 percent of all infections, but it is doing well less than 1 percent. That is making it hard to predict which virus strain is spreading where, amidst concerns – still unproven — about variants undermining existing vaccines.

(Barkha in lower left and Ashish Jha upper right)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:Sharing *BIG* Announcement: Prof Manindra Agrawal will be leading Risk Surveillance Centre
<snip>

There are two detail reports are at IITK site. One can read it there - I may be putting some main points here.
<snip>
Few points in brief -

First report is on the spread of Delta wave in India. (They studied the trajectory in different states and how other factors effected the spread - and learnings etc)

- (Not surprising) two factors definitely contribute to the spread - are beta (contact rate ) and
S (fraction of susceptible population.
Higher the contact rate or susceptible population, faster is the spread of virus. Beta depended on contagiousness of the virus, people's habits (masks etc), lockdowns etc. S became smaller with introduction of vaccines etc. As said no surprise here.
- (Somewhat surprising) are other factors ( testing strategy, per capita income, and super-spreader events (elections, religious gatherings) were *not* that important. Testing strategy was a factor (but smaller than many experts believed). But the general belief that elections and/or religious gatherings (I remember all those newspapers in USA and some experts talking about Kumbh Mela in particular) had a big impact on the spread is not shown in the data.
In particular the speed of spread of Delta was similar in states with super-spreader events and in states without. (Similar thing is observed again observed during the recent Omicron wave when some states had elections but the rise there was similar to other states).

The second report is on spread of Omicron in the world. (Omicron trajectories in 15 countries across the world using SUTRA model was studied).
The report mainly analyzes different kind of immunity (vaccines only, natural only (in places where there was low vaccine rates but more people were effected by previous wave), and hybrid immunity , and its effect on reach etc. Vaccine only immunity did not prevent the wave/infections but obviously it prevented serious illness and deaths.

Observations help explain why some countries have seen massive Omicron waves while some others not.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Indian active cases are trending DOWN while Chinese numbers are trending UP. If it holds tomorrow Indian cases will go below the Chinese.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-60832236

The resident uncle Tom trying to spread fear again. Refers to the so called IIT study that Amber G has clarified on already.

Now that 90% have the first dose, he is claiming India does not follow science as it is using the same vaccines for the third dose instead of using other (read: mRNA) vaccines. Basically shilling for Pfizer and Moderna
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Rules were relaxed in France barely 2 weeks ago and we are spiking again, around 100,000 new cases/day.

My son 13 tested positive today, very mild symptoms, no fever, no meds. He got both his vaccine doses, second one last august. Isolating at home for 1 week.

Hoping the rest of us won't catch it.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

We are all COVID positive. Myself and wife double vaccination plus booster shot ( total 3) of Pfizer and down with infection. Both boys have Pfizer one dose and were due for 2nd shot this weekend. Most probably got it from after school care of children. No severe complaints just body aches and runny noses. Managing on paracetamol.In home isolation for 7 days. Hoping for no escalation.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Tanaji wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-60832236

The resident uncle Tom trying to spread fear again. Refers to the so called IIT study that Amber G has clarified on already.

Now that 90% have the first dose, he is claiming India does not follow science as it is using the same vaccines for the third dose instead of using other (read: mRNA) vaccines. Basically shilling for Pfizer and Moderna
Tanaji, you missed the main point. Where's the third wave that this channel has been warning about? How did this become the fourth wave? Liars!
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Good point Lisa ji.

BBC is going the way of Infowars, it is just a more polished version.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Cyrano wrote:Rules were relaxed in France barely 2 weeks ago and we are spiking again, around 100,000 new cases/day.

My son 13 tested positive today, very mild symptoms, no fever, no meds. He got both his vaccine doses, second one last august. Isolating at home for 1 week.

Hoping the rest of us won't catch it.
Bismillah.....got 4Th dose yesterday. :mrgreen:
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

vish_mulay wrote:We are all COVID positive. Myself and wife double vaccination plus booster shot ( total 3) of Pfizer and down with infection. Both boys have Pfizer one dose and were due for 2nd shot this weekend. Most probably got it from after school care of children. No severe complaints just body aches and runny noses. Managing on paracetamol.In home isolation for 7 days. Hoping for no escalation.
Get well soon vish_mulay. My prayers for a fast recovery. We are at BRF, a family after all.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

There were three waves:
1. The original Covid -- around mid sep 20, daily deaths 1100, new infections 100k
2. The Delta wave - around mid may 21, daily deaths 4000, new infections 400k (at that time a world
3. The Omicron wave - around end Jan 22, daily deaths 1200, new infections 350k

But today active cases in India 23k, China 25k.
This is from Worldometer which follows the Ministry of Health and Family Affairs, India
Worldometer - India
Ministry of Health and Family Affairs
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Population:US 34 Cr,Bharat 140 Cr

Vaccines:US 25.5 Cr,Bharat 182 Cr

White House Says it's Out of Funds to Pay 4th COVID Vaccine Dose for All Americans

Bharat giving free ration to 80 Cr Bharatiyas since Apr20+ Vaccinations

US is Rich,Bharat is Poor

US has Biden,WE have Modi https://t.co/0Ltpc4Yey2
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Manish_Sharma wrote:Population:US 34 Cr,Bharat 140 Cr

Vaccines:US 25.5 Cr,Bharat 182 Cr
<snip>
India has done tremendously well but here is the correction:
"Vaccines (total doses) US 56 Cr vs Bharat's 182 Cr. "
( In percentage, US has 170 (per hundred) vs Bharat's (130 per hundred).
Note: The full population is being considered. In US, all 5 years+ old are eligible, and all adults are eligible for boosters. In India, we just started 12+years and boosters for all elders.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Few comments:
1 - Wishing fast recovery to vish_mulay and all others. The Omicron wave has caught many - including those who were very careful. (This includes not only well known people like Obama, Hilary Clinton, Vivek Murthy (Surgeon general in US) and a few well known scientists/doctors in India - quite a few friends.

2 - The other so called "IIT study", and a few other 'expert comments' in many newspapers are NOT based on any solid reasoning. This is a shame that media is publishing *many* such studies.

3 - As posted before, a good place to watch is IIT Kanpur's - Cll Risk Surveillance Centre- one of its kind Centre supported by industries and GoI. The Centre will be carrying out in-depth studies of spread of Covid-19 across the world to derive learnings for future. The Centre website is https://icrsc.in. Good place to look for "prediction" in your area. The centre will also identify and monitor long term trends and enable decision makers to develop strategies to address the pandemic.

4. To be clear - BBC reports mentioned above - and many others I have seen posted *NOT* by experts in science but "south Asia" correspondents. In most main stream scientists opinion these kind of analysis has nothing to do with science - more to do with old-fashioned bigotry. (In short, there is NO basis to assume that there is any new wave as predicted by them in India in May or June etc)
Last edited by Amber G. on 26 Mar 2022 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

saip wrote:There were three waves:
1. The original Covid -- around mid sep 20, daily deaths 1100, new infections 100k
2. The Delta wave - around mid may 21, daily deaths 4000, new infections 400k (at that time a world
3. The Omicron wave - around end Jan 22, daily deaths 1200, new infections 350k

But today active cases in India 23k, China 25k.
This is from Worldometer which follows the Ministry of Health and Family Affairs, India
Worldometer - India
Ministry of Health and Family Affairs
The US has quietly passed over 1 million deaths, with nearly 500K deaths in the last year, and a compliant media keeping it quiet. The US has failed to manage a public health crisis.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Ah but Mort ji you see, US deaths are true deaths while Indian deaths are falsely low. The real Indian deaths as per NYT and others are 7x-20x , so on that metric US is doing swimmingly well…
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

This is an absolute must watch interview on the Carvaka Podcast featuring Priyam Gandhi-Mody. She is the author of "A Nation to Protect: Leading India Through the COVID Crisis".

I have never seen a more well-researched, data driven, and superbly articulated statement of the facts regarding PM Modi's stewardship of the nation through the perils of the pandemic.

Nor a more comprehensive, clinically-precise takedown of the sustained propaganda assault against India's COVID-management efforts by both foreign & domestic media.