Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
a_bharat
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by a_bharat »

Irrespective of what anyone may say, the real reason for increasing the interval is to cover as many people with at least a single dose as quickly as possible. I think this was the right thing to do at that time.

UK also did this in the early phase and our government used it as a precedent. Of course, UK reverted back to the original interval once their supply situation improved.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Yes, not just supply, there was also an article that showed how 12 weeks was the best interval for max resistance to getting infected- of course it was published by UK scientists but I am hoping they are not yet at the rock bottom ethics level...
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

a_bharat wrote:^^
The interval between doses won't be an issue if there is enough production. The interval can be reduced just as it was increased. If the govt keeps paying attention to the numbers, that's what they would do if the daily vaccination numbers start to drop despite availability.
The WHO recommended interval for AZ is at 8-12 weeks. EU and UK do around 8 weeks. India does around 12 weeks and the Caribbean does a near 16 week interval between doses.

The interval is driven by follow-on efficacy studies that established the vaccine is most effective with this interval and the government will not be overriding that to hurry up - there's no point in it.
a_bharat wrote:Irrespective of what anyone may say, the real reason for increasing the interval is to cover as many people with at least a single dose as quickly as possible. I think this was the right thing to do at that time.
Lancet: Single-dose administration and the influence of the timing of the booster dose on immunogenicity and efficacy of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (AZD1222) vaccine: a pooled analysis of four randomised trials
"Irrespective of what anyone says" ? Even the foundational study that establishes the basis for the longer dose interval ?
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

That paper says this:
A 3-month dose interval might have advantages over a programme with a short dose interval for roll-out of a pandemic vaccine to protect the largest number of individuals in the population as early as possible when supplies are scarce, while also improving protection after receiving a second dose.
UK was one of the primary sponsors of the study, and they discarded it once their supply situation improved.

The number of people and events in different groups in the study are small and were done at different times of pandemic intensity. There were several other studies with contradictory results, for example a UK study saying protection with single dose at 33% vs 60% after two doses. Some studies in India (PGI Chandigarh and CMC Vellore) however found that there is no difference in protection whether one has single dose or two doses.

The studies are a dime a dozen, one can pick what suits them. The study results were already available to GoI, yet it initially selected 6-8 weeks period for the second dose. They changed to 12 weeks during the severe delta wave.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Some support for the idea that vaccination has to be combined with Covid-appropriate behavior for the greatest protection.

Pfizer Covid shot protects people from hospitalization even as effectiveness against infection falls
The effectiveness of Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine against infection tumbles over several months, falling from a peak of 88% a month after receiving the two-shot series to 47% six months later
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... COVID-case
China PCR test orders soared before first confirmed COVID case
Report on government contracts show surges in Wuhan-area purchases from May 2019

About 67.4 million yuan ($10.5 million at current rates) was spent on PCR tests in Hubei during 2019, nearly double the 2018 total, with the upswing starting in May, according to the report.

Orders doubled from universities, jumped fivefold from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention and surged tenfold from animal testing bureaus. Purchases from hospitals declined by more than 10%.

Monthly procurement data shows a spike in orders in May, especially from CDC buyers and the People's Liberation Army.

"We believe the increased spending in May suggests this as the earliest start date for possible infection," the report said.

Purchases rose sharply from July through October as well, in particular from the Wuhan University of Science and Technology. The institution spent 8.92 million yuan on PCR tests in 2019, about eight times its total for the previous year.

The university, along with local hospitals and public health authorities, plays a direct role in responding to outbreaks of new diseases, according to the report.

The involvement of these groups provides evidence that "the increase of purchasing was most likely linked to the emergence of COVID-19 in Hubei Province in 2019," the report said. "We assess with high confidence that the pandemic began much earlier than China informed the [World Health Organization] about COVID-19."
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Well they HAVE chosen what suits them. Here’s an article on the topic within the last 2 weeks:
Time is right: Why India still has 12-16 weeks between Covishield doses
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

WHO to take final call on Covaxin EUL next week
HYDERABAD: The World Health Organisation (WHO) will be taking a final call on Bharat Biotech’s Emergency Use Listing (EUL) application for India’s first indigenously developed Covid-19 vaccine Covaxin next week, the global health body said on Tuesday evening.
“WHO & an independent group of experts are scheduled to meet next week to carry out the risk/benefit assessment and come to a final decision whether to grant Emergency Use Listing to Covaxin,” WHO tweeted after a meeting of its Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) to discuss the Covaxin EUL application.

Covaxin manufacturer, Bharat Biotech, has been submitting data to WHO on a rolling basis & submitted additional inf… https://t.co/6qZJlo4Ptd
— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) 1633444570000

Covaxin manufacturer, Bharat Biotech, has been submitting data to WHO on a rolling basis & submitted additional info at WHO’s request on 27 September. WHO experts are currently reviewing this info & if it addresses all questions raised, WHO assessment will be finalized next week,” WHO said.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I have a feeling that the issues with covaxin are political and not technical.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Pratyush wrote:I have a feeling that the issues with covaxin are political and not technical.
If they feel Modi's India doesn't have any levers than let them enjoy char din ki Chandini. We have them by their b@lls courtesy Covovax... Export can and will stop again, if necessary.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

the Covid vaccine situation is interesting. Last week, the availability was pretty soft, in the mid 40 millions. Correspondingly, vaccinations were just ~49 million. This week the vaccinations first two days are nothing special, just around 7 million a day. But the supply availability is now a stratospheric 69 million. Might be some big vaccination days ahead...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

the Indian tit for the britshit tat, leaving absolutely no doubts where our erstwhile colonial masters stand today in the global narrative

well played

England withdraw from men's Junior Hockey World Cup in Bhubaneswar due to Covid scare

Indian hockey teams officially pulls out of the 2022 Commonwealth Games citing Covid-19 situation in the UK and the mandatory 10-day quarantine rule for Indians.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Just 4m today so far. Worst week day in a long time. Is there a supply chain issue given that availability is pretty high
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

No idea why it's slow today. I thought it was some kind of public holiday. May just a freak instance of multiple states all planning for a large drive on a different day. Usually 1-2 states tend to have something going any given weekday.

In any case it is one day. I don't make conclusions out of that little data. The past record has plenty of single days that make no sense, either in a good or bad way.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

@Suraj: Could the slow vaccination in the last few days be because doses are being exported to other countries (Vaccine Maitri) ? That would be a very unfortunate...
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Yesterday was the beginning of Navaratri, maybe that's why.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Has anyone have experience visiting India (Delhi) from the USA (transiting through Europe) recently? The only thing I can find is they would need RT-PCR negative test 72 hours before boarding the flight. But after landing in Delhi do they need to undergo another RT-PCR test and wait for the results? The more I read the more I am confused. I am planning on visiting India in Dec. transiting through Warsaw.
TIA
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ramdas wrote:@Suraj: Could the slow vaccination in the last few days be because doses are being exported to other countries (Vaccine Maitri) ? That would be a very unfortunate...
There's no such data. I've also made it clear that supply is not the factor here.
Oct 6: 6,93,46,080 (https://www.pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage ... ID=1761280)
Oct 5: 6,73,07,240 (https://www.pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage ... ID=1760958)

Supply is accumulating. The last 5 days' data from my database:

Navaratri is a more likely explanation. Rather oddly, there were 70K vaccination centers open yesterday. Maybe it's just people not showing up. We'll see how it goes.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Dear forum members
Need some information on vaccination. My friend from the US is in India to look up his mother who is increasingly frail of health from old age. She has a husband and wife team from Nepal (Madhesis possibly) to look after her. The husband doubles up as watchman and odd jobs help while the wife does the domestic chores. They are not illegal immigrants and they can validly reside and seek employment in India. The husband has managed to secure an Aadhaar card for himself and got himself vaccinated for free at a Government facility! But the wife has not been so fortunate. So the public health facilities are not an option. But even private hospital offering vaccination at subsidised rates require proof of residence in India. Would my friend or his mother certifying that they live on their premises be good enough? Alternatively private hospital which source vaccines from manufacturers at the full cost be able to offer the vaccine on the strength of certificate of citizenship issued by Nepalese authorities be good enough. My friend is concerned that the lady might be exposed to the risk of infection and she could pass it on to his mother. He wants her vaccination done. Any thoughts? They live in Chennai.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Nepalis are legally allowed to work in India, so if they have valid passports with the spouse name endorsed, they can try using that. It won't meet the proof of residency requirements unless the passport was renewed and issued in India (Indian passports can be re-issued with foreign addresses for NRI applicants, so I assume Nepal would have something similar).

Aadhaar can be issued to all legal residents irrespective of citizenship. Per the Aadhaar website, if the husband has an Aadhaar, the wife can use that to get one for herself.

I don’t have required documents for enrolment of Aadhaar, can I still enroll?

Yes, even if someone in a family does not have required documents, the resident can still enrol if his/her name exists in family entitlement document. In this case the Head of Family in entitlement document needs to be Enroled first with valid PoI & PoA document and then other family members can enrol based on EID/Aadhaar number of head of family. UIDAI accepts 8 document types as Proof of Relationship (PoR). View the list of supporting documents.

https://uidai.gov.in/my-aadhaar/get-aadhaar.html, look for the questions on the right column.

List of PoR and other documents: https://uidai.gov.in/images/commdoc/val ... s_list.pdf

Disclaimer: not an expert by any means, just sharing what I know. Good luck to your friend.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

arshyam wrote:Nepalis are legally allowed to work in India, so if they have valid passports with the spouse name endorsed, they can try using that. It won't meet the proof of residency requirements unless the passport was renewed and issued in India (Indian passports can be re-issued with foreign addresses for NRI applicants, so I assume Nepal would have something similar).

Aadhaar can be issued to all legal residents irrespective of citizenship. Per the Aadhaar website, if the husband has an Aadhaar, the wife can use that to get one for herself.

I don’t have required documents for enrolment of Aadhaar, can I still enroll?

Yes, even if someone in a family does not have required documents, the resident can still enrol if his/her name exists in family entitlement document. In this case the Head of Family in entitlement document needs to be Enroled first with valid PoI & PoA document and then other family members can enrol based on EID/Aadhaar number of head of family. UIDAI accepts 8 document types as Proof of Relationship (PoR). View the list of supporting documents.

https://uidai.gov.in/my-aadhaar/get-aadhaar.html, look for the questions on the right column.

List of PoR and other documents: https://uidai.gov.in/images/commdoc/val ... s_list.pdf

Disclaimer: not an expert by any means, just sharing what I know. Good luck to your friend.
Thanks arshyam for the inputs. I will pass it on. But someone else got back to me saying that Cauvery hospital in Chennai does vaccination at an unsubsidised rate of Rs 700 per dose. But they say that since the person does not possess a Aadhaar card, it wouldn't be entered in the Cowin portal. But you can have the assurance that you are vaccinated. Now that is quite useful in it's own right. I will update further status as it is a useful piece of information.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Nandkumarji -
Disclaimer: Do not live in Chennai (or India) so not the first hand or official knowledge - but familiar with people who know.
- It is *very* good that the you are taking interest..it is *very* important that everyone gets vaccinated so thank you.
- To get vaccine in India it is NOT required to be citizen/resident etc - visitors are now fully allowed. One needs require document for ID for portal. Aadhar card is normal but passport or any kind of ID (approved) should be okay.
- Just be assertive - (if need be send a tweet to right resource and tag it to health minister asking for procedure if people give hard time).. it is in EVERYONE's interest for all people to get vaccinated.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Amber G. wrote:Nandkumarji -
Disclaimer: Do not live in Chennai (or India) so not the first hand or official knowledge - but familiar with people who know.
- It is *very* good that the you are taking interest..it is *very* important that everyone gets vaccinated so thank you.
- To get vaccine in India it is NOT required to be citizen/resident etc - visitors are now fully allowed. One needs require document for ID for portal. Aadhar card is normal but passport or any kind of ID (approved) should be okay.
- Just be assertive - (if need be send a tweet to right resource and tag it to health minister asking for procedure if people give hard time).. it is in EVERYONE's interest for all people to get vaccinated.
Thanks Amber G
I will keep the forum updated on the development. I genuinely believe that it is useful to place this in the public domain.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Nandakumar sir, Aadhaar is not mandatory for Cowin entry, though all hospitals insist on it. You can use passport as well - this is first hand info reg Indian passport. Not sure about a foreign passport though.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^Foreign nationals can book a slot via the portal and use their passport as a document to verify their identity for the registration process.

“Govt has now (starting in August) allowed foreign nationals residing in India to register on CoWin portal and take #COVID19 vaccine. This will ensure overall safety from the transmission of the virus,” According to Mansukh Mandaviya ( Union health minister)

A statement from the health ministry “In a landmark initiative to ensure safety from Covid-19, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has taken a decision to allow foreign nationals residing in India to get registered on CoWin portal to take Covid-19 vaccine. They can use their passport as identity document for the purpose of registration on CoWIN portal. Once they are registered on this portal, they will get a slot for vaccination.”

Hope this helps.
Here is Aug 9 tweet: https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1424728732267286528?s=20
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Looks like UK has given in and will allow Indians with Covishield vaccine entry without quarantine from 11 October.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

No quarantine for Indian travellers to UK fully vaccinated with Covishield or another UK-approved vaccine from 11 October.
Thanks to Indian government for close cooperation over last month.

Tweet
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

arshyam wrote:Nandakumar sir, Aadhaar is not mandatory for Cowin entry, though all hospitals insist on it. You can use passport as well - this is first hand info reg Indian passport. Not sure about a foreign passport though.
We registered and got vaccinated with foreign passport for our kin. No issues.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Also: VaccineMaitri continues. One million doses of Made in India COVAXIN vaccines gifted to Iran.
(Iran gets Covaxin while Nepal, Bangladesh etc get Covidshield)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Since there are plenty of vaccines as far as supply is concerned, I hope and think that the rate is going to increase in coming days - at least that is what being encouraged.. let us see how this pans out..With festival season it is normal to expect a little slow down but it is also opportunity to organize big drives.

Happy Navartri to all.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

A detail report on handling of Covid second wave by UP government is available at IIT Kanpur resource site.
The report is very detailed (about 100 pages) and contains lot of data - for serious people - about how UP Handled the second wave.

UP was hit by the second wave of Covid-19 pandemic in March. "UP Model" - the strategy of continuing with the economic activities while minimizing the impact of pandemic is analyzed in this model based on extensive data collected and SUTRA model.

If there is interest, I may put some of summary and a few points here.. meanwhile a Hindi and English version of the report can be accessed here..
https://iitk.ac.in/dord/up_covid19_report/index.html
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ Amber G ji

A request (if possible and not too much trouble)

How are the actual numbers of the third wave comparing to the prediction model shared by you a few months ago.

I think the prediction graph was posted on 17th August. The post is on page 318 of this thread.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Manindra Agrawal - of the SUTRA model fame - is interviewed here by Swarajyamag:
IIT-Kanpur Scientist Manindra Agrawal Says Possibilities Of Covid-19 Third Wave Are Low
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

From the study posted above, it appears UP used a homeopathic treatment to stall Covid. Think homeopathic options are mostly placebo. Or am I reading this report wrong?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

vera_k wrote:From the study posted above, it appears UP used a homeopathic treatment to stall Covid. Think homeopathic options are mostly placebo. Or am I reading this report wrong?
I thought they used Ivermectin
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I wonder if there is a big drive planned to time it with 1 billion mark?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

You must have heard about the 'Giving Pledge' movement started and collaborated by Bill Gates, in which super reach donate their money for charitable activities. But the truth is very different from this ...

PART 1
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1447 ... 02500.html

PART 2
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1448 ... 75304.html
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

The daily vaccination numbers for the last few days have been very low (30-40 lakhs), whereas the vaccine stocks with the states have been over 8 crore doses consistently. What is going on? Uttar Pradesh is not crossing even 10 lakh doses a day.