Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
sudeepj
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by sudeepj »

chetak wrote:Corona hitting children below 10 yrs and 11-20 bracket age group in large numbers is a serious concern.

With a disturbing increase in the number of cases in Maharashtra, the government should plan new norms and methods.
Its not that bad for the children, but they can act as carriers which is a problem. I know of an infant who tested positive on RT-PCR but only suffered about a day of cranky behavior. His father, a very healthy man, was knocked out for 10 days. His mother was out for only 1 day. This story is typical.. This is a chivalrous virus and is easier on women and children.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson and Johnson did a good thing by not naming their covid vaccines unlike SII and BB, Russia did.
Their vaccines are referred to by their company names (Pfizer/MOderna etc.) and the entire company gets free publicity every single time their covid-related product is mentioned. It will be in perpetuity.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

sunday problem.

My SIL went to Apollo in Hyderabad and another person went to Hospital in VIzag. Both had to come back since they are not vaccinating on sundays.

The portal allows people to registers but not the hospitals
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

1,638,464 vaccinations on Sunday 4 April 2021. I was hoping for near 2.5 million.

Total nearing 80 million.
https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

milindc wrote:
putnanja wrote:Yesterday afternoon, I went to a big private hospital in Gachibowli area in Hyderabad and got vaccinated(covishield ). I was fine till night. Today early morning, I started feeling chills and fever. Also had a slight throbbing pain in the injection area once in a while, not too uncomfortable though. Took a paracetemol 500mg tablet and went back to sleep. Now again I am feeling a bit feverish and temperature is around 102deg. Oxymeter shows 93 in right index finger and 90 in the left one. Taking one more paracetamol and going back to bed. Hopefully I should get over in a day or two.

Same vaccine my aged parents and by sister/bro-in-law had taken in Karnataka and touch-wood, they are doing fine without any issues
Sir, maybe I'm wrong, but with my limited understanding of SPO2 levels, 90 is not great. Please consult a doctor.
Thanks, I was checking the oxygen levels once every few hours and it has settled in 94-95% levels. Fever has gone down greatly today morning. Had fever till yesterday night. Hopefully that's the end of it.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.biospace.com/article/could- ... t-option-/
“The results confirm our belief that interferon beta, a widely known drug approved for use in its injectable form for other indications, may have the potential as an inhaled drug to restore the lung’s immune response and accelerate recovery from COVID-19,” said Professor Tom Wilkinson, Professor of Respiratory Medicine at the University of Southampton and lead author of the study. “This pH neutral, inhaled interferon beta-1a formulation (SNG001) provides high, local concentrations of the immune protein which boosts lung defenses rather than targeting specific viral mechanisms. This might carry additional advantages of treating COVID19 when it occurs alongside infection by another respiratory virus such as influenza or Respiratory Syncytial Virus that may well be encountered in the winter months.”

SNG011 was well-tolerated in subjects, and those who received the drug had greater odds of improvement and recovered more quickly. In addition, patients who were given SNG001 had greater odds of improvement across the OSCI scale and were more likely to recover to “no limitation of activity” during treatment.

Synairgen originally announced positive results from its clinical trial of SNG001 back in July. The study took place between March 30 and May 27, and patient groups were evenly matched in terms of average age, comorbidities and average duration of COVID-19 symptoms prior to enrollment.

The trial showed that the odds of developing severe disease (requiring ventilation or worse) during the treatment period of 16 days were significantly reduced by 79% for patients receiving SNG001. Those who received SNG001 were also twice as likely to recover over the course of the treatment period, compared to those who were receiving the placebo.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

putnanja wrote:
milindc wrote:
Sir, maybe I'm wrong, but with my limited understanding of SPO2 levels, 90 is not great. Please consult a doctor.
Thanks, I was checking the oxygen levels once every few hours and it has settled in 94-95% levels. Fever has gone down greatly today morning. Had fever till yesterday night. Hopefully that's the end of it.
Great news ... Best wishes for your quick recovery.

I don't know how far it is true. I got several messages from people that if you combine ajwain and camphor (unprocessed) and tie in a cloth and smell, it improves breathing issues and reduces inflammation. I knew this was a house remedy for breathing issues.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

They inhale camphor in high alt areas ..it helps
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

I am afraid that vaccination alone is not going to be the solution in the near future. We need to create protocols that prevent massive jump in cases. I think the only way to achieve this is to have a very robust testing and contact tracing system in place. This should be emphasized especially when the numbers get back in control. There are some lessons to be learned from China here.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Raja wrote:I am afraid that vaccination alone is not going to be the solution in the near future. We need to create protocols that prevent massive jump in cases. I think the only way to achieve this is to have a very robust testing and contact tracing system in place. This should be emphasized especially when the numbers get back in control. There are some lessons to be learned from China here.
Yes, China remains the only country with no reported (keyword?) COVID wave since last year. The move to track and conduct weekly tests for workers in companies has been met with fierce backlash.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 893222.cms

I believe banks, government offices, financial and essential services sector should also be subjected to weekly/periodic tests to be proactive. The Sarkar must loosen its purse strings.
The vaccination situation in Pune is still grim, though numbers are going up and its still hard to find a slot, if found to ensure hospital has the stock, if they have both slots and stock then avoiding the major crowding and hope COVIDIOTS dont show up for vaccination, mistaking it for a treatment protocol.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Seems like we didn't cross 4 million threshold yet. I could not find any official confirmation of this. Highest seems to be 3.6 million.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja wrote:Seems like we didn't cross 4 million threshold yet. I could not find any official confirmation of this. Highest seems to be 3.6 million.

4.27 million on 02 April 2021.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Is that from the app? I normally check MOH website.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Check PIB releases of April 2&3, and Our World in Data. MoHFW updates in the morning. You could also scroll back a couple pages here.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Spin-offs starting to emerge from the increased funding for vaccine research due to Covid-19.

Novel HIV vaccine approach shows promise in “landmark” first-in-human trial
the vaccine successfully stimulated the production of the rare immune cells needed to generate antibodies against HIV in 97 percent of participants
As a next step, the collaborators are partnering with the biotechnology company Moderna to develop and test an mRNA-based vaccine that harnesses the approach to produce the same beneficial immune cells.
The scientists believe the same approach could also be applied to vaccines for other challenging pathogens such as influenza, dengue, Zika, hepatitis C and malaria.
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

Total Vaccination : 8,31,10,926 (43,00,966 on Apr 5)

4.3m yesterday, hope it goes up.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

vera_k wrote:Stop fresh registrations of health care workers

This is not helpful when not all healthcare and frontline workers have been vaccinated. Every vaccination is useful, long as the shots are being used and not dumped down the drain.
Incorrect decision, I agree.
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

Looks like the current production capacity is only 70 million doses per month (65 SII and 5 Bharat Biotech). The hope is to increase the capacity to 130 million doses per month by August(?). Apparently some doses that were supposed to be exported in March didn't go out, so we are now able to do 3 mil per day (excluding sundays/holidays).
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

a_bharat wrote:Looks like the current production capacity is only 70 million doses per month (65 SII and 5 Bharat Biotech). The hope is to increase the capacity to 130 million doses per month by August(?). Apparently some doses that were supposed to be exported in March didn't go out, so we are now able to do 3 mil per day (excluding sundays/holidays).
That's terrible
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Karan M wrote:
vera_k wrote:Stop fresh registrations of health care workers

This is not helpful when not all healthcare and frontline workers have been vaccinated. Every vaccination is useful, long as the shots are being used and not dumped down the drain.
Incorrect decision, I agree.
There is a lot of misinformation here. People, please go to PIB India for any major ‘center says’ news. If it’s not an official PR, be careful about posting stuff .

Here is the PIB site: PIB All Press Releases

Use the drop down menus to find Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and find the and quote the exact PR where needed.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

putnanja wrote:
milindc wrote:
Talk to a doc. As far as I know, the vaccine is not supposed to bring down o2 levels.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

In telugu but they are saying Merck's Molnupiravir is fully curing COVID. Not yet avaialble
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Number of vaccinations as of Day 81 by 8PM IST are very low today. Hopefully it is just a reporting issue and the numbers may be greater by tomorrow morning.

https://www.pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage ... ID=1709964
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Cowin dashboard seems to be really out of sync now. Right now it is showing 8.2 crores vaccinations, way below yesterday's number of 8.31 crores. Any clues?
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

India could resume vaccine exports by June: Serum Institute's Adar Poonawalla
The world's largest vaccine maker, based in India, will be able to restart exports of AstraZeneca doses by June if new coronavirus infections subside in the country, its chief executive said Tuesday

But a continued surge could result in more delays because the Serum Institute of India would have to meet domestic needs, Adar Poonawalla warned in an interview with The Associated Press.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Vaccine strategy to remain focused on priority group
The next four weeks were going to be critical for India as the situation is serious and the second wave is spreading across the country, VK Paul, member- health, Niti Aayog said on Tuesday at the Union health ministry briefing. There was an upswing in cases in other states and as cases rise, mortality too would rise so nothing can be taken for granted now, Paul said. The speed of transmission during the second wave was faster, he warned. However, the government was not going to respond by expanding the base for vaccination and vaccinate all adults. Paul said the country would stick to the 45 years and above priority age group. The country would open up vaccination at an appropriate time, he said.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

This is what I suspected:

Farmers’ protest, events behind Punjab surge: Harsh Vardhan
Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on Tuesday said the COVID-19 spread in Punjab was mainly event-driven with marriages, local body elections and farmers’ agitation playing their part.

In a virtual interaction with the health ministers of 11 high burden states, including Punjab’s Balbir Singh Sidhu, this evening, Vardhan said about Punjab, “In Punjab, the UK variant of the virus has been found in over 80 per cent cases. Cases are surging and genome sequencing has also established the presence of the variant. This case surge is mainly event driven with marriages, local body elections, and farmers’ agitation playing a part.”
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Centre asks all its employees aged 45 years and above to get themselves vaccinated
The Centre on Tuesday asked all its employees aged 45 years and above to get themselves vaccinated to effectively contain the spread of COVID-19.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

Uttam wrote:Cowin dashboard seems to be really out of sync now. Right now it is showing 8.2 crores vaccinations, way below yesterday's number of 8.31 crores. Any clues?
it is showing 8.31 cr as of 7th morning 0640 hrs
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

Total Vaccination : 8,70,77,474 (33,37,601 on April 6)
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

anything below 4M is criminal IMHO
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

manjgu wrote:anything below 4M is criminal IMHO
That's unfair criticism. Take a look below and compare India to any of the developed countries - and those numbers are from yesterday. The Chinese are playing a numbers game to make the west look bad. They care little about anything else.

MoHFW is doing admirably. If you read their reports, they are sending advisory experts to the most affected districts. MH has about half of all new infections and deaths. Something is really wrong there.

Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

India reports 1,15,736 new #COVID19 cases, 59,856 discharges, and 630 deaths in the last 24 hours, as per the Union Health Ministry

Total cases: 1,28,01,785
Total recoveries: 1,17,92,135
Active cases: 8,43,473
Death toll: 1,66,177

Total vaccination: 8,70,77,47

I wonder when will the 2nd wave peak?
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

It is hard to say. It has the potential to reach much higher. Last time we had lockdowns to control the spread.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

At over 3M per day now we should touch 100 million by end of week.
Please avoid such "H" grandstanding in the middle of a pandemic response.
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

We are on a decent track to vaccinate most of the vulnerable population before the 3rd wave. I don't think lowering the age below 35 makes much sense right now given the logistics and supply limitations. We just need to keep improving the logistics to reach the current target group even faster.
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

The vaccine supply and demand from 45+ age group are currently matched. If the daily average falls below 2.5 Mil or if the production increases (July/August), GoI can reduce the age limit or open up for all.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Last years peak was September
Lasts years record(daily case) was 97,655 on 11th sep

6 April 2020 we clocked 484 daily cases
6 April 2021, yesterday, we recorded 1,15,312
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Didnt we cross 4M couple of days ago? Our world in Data does not show that.

Ok, its a rolling 7 day average. It makes Chinese numbers even more suspect or impressive...
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Ideally we should concentrate our vaccination on economic centers like cities and get to herd immunity, as soon as possible.

Everything should be done to prevent lockdowns in major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Blore & Chennai.

Instead of reducing age limitation, country wide, it should be done only in major cities.