Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by IndraD »

No oxygen usage in 86 per cent mucormycosis cases, Steroid overuse also unlikely contributor to mucormycosis tsunami in India, O2 hygiene also debunked: PGI study

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/chand ... udy-381089
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

There is some "excess deaths" theory going around on independent Social media channels, who seem to collate individual instances of sudden deaths of middle aged vaccinated individuals and claim that this is a real phenomenon due to covid vaccines, and that western govts are deliberately ignoring such news/suppressing analysis.

Sounds like dubious continuation of anti-vaxxer position to me, now that most people are either vaccinated or got immunity through infection (omicron has helped), they are coming up with this new theory to remain relevant.

Has anyone come across a long term study of vaccinated populations thats analysing causes of non-covid related deaths in any country/region which significant % of vaccinated people?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

New from Science dot org - and IMHO something to pay attention to:
As FDA approves/recommends second booster for 50+ in USA)..
For those who have mRNA vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) and thinking of <second> booster in coming months..
(This is mainly for USA - and does not have data for covidshield/covaxin etc).

(I will update this post or put a separate post if more definite recommendations appear)

mRNA-1273 and BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccines elicit antibodies with differences in Fc-mediated effector functions
>>>
This seems to recommend that: The mRNA vaccines should not be treated as identical products. (With original variant there was not much of a difference but with Omicron etc there is a measurable difference in results)
If you got Moderna vaccines, think about getting a Pfizer booster or if you got Pfizers, a Moderna booster.
>>>
FWIW Here is an old (see source/reference visible in the picture below) guide line for booster -
(Will try to update if the same source updates its recommendation for the second booster)
(Clear recommendation was to get mRNA booster for those who got J&J)

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ For USA: FDA is approving the fourth fourth shot, but the more pressing challenge is getting first, second and third shots to people over 65 who aren’t fully vaccinated—all 15+ million of them in the US. They face the biggest risk from Covid, and BA.2 may be coming for them.

(For India - From the data I have been following - many states fully vaccinated eligible adults (with both vaccine doses) are 90% or more. Jammu and Kashmir , Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Andhra Pradesh --> 99%+ , Gujarat (98%), Karnataka, Uttarakhand , Madhya Pradesh are around 95% , Telangana, Delhi is at (82 %) and Maharashtra (70%) are on the lower side)-
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

IndraD wrote:No oxygen usage in 86 per cent mucormycosis cases, Steroid overuse also unlikely contributor to mucormycosis tsunami in India, O2 hygiene also debunked: PGI study

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/chand ... udy-381089
Folks, please find the online link to this study. I have a pdf and sent it to some friends to put in google docs etc.
It debunks the two popular myths that black fungus was due to bad O2 cylinders and steroids usage.
And so many experts bought this bunk.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

My first and second vaccine shots were Pfizer, third vaccine shot in Jan was Moderna. Kids didn't get booster shot, but got Covid-Omicron last week. Me and wife didn't get infected, despite all living in the same house, mostly indoors, with some precautions. I made kids wear masks inside home as well esp when we all were in the same room, wash hands frequently etc. They tested -ve now and back in school. So it seems booster shots do work.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 301_1.html

India's Gennova mRNA vaccine in legal storm after US company sues it for millions $$ accusing it of stealing IP
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

BA.2 is rampant. Please take precautions.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For USA - Second booster shots are available to all Americans over 50 There is a new site: http://Covid.gov to get all covid related information.

Vaccinations are on a slow side here but there are still 80,000+ places where on can get a vaccination ( or a JUST APPROVED second booster), One can also get "test to treat" (COVID test and instant medicines).

----
BA.2 wave is arriving in the US. We will only be as protected as the level of prior infection or the recency of boosters. So IMO, if you’ve had your prior booster more than 4 months ago & qualify it is right thing to do . The vaccines, as they need to be, are free. I would also recommend (this is also recommendation of people I trust) booster of mRNA (preferably the other kind which you got before).

Here is one good review all 3 studies of a 4th shot vs 3-shots and other relevant data, among with recommendations.
https://erictopol.substack.com/p/a-new- ... ooster?s=w
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Some comments: (and latest useful publications)

- Just published: Ivermectin: the largest randomized, double-blind trial yet conducted, with early treatment, indicates there is no difference compared with placebo. It doesn't work.
Link: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2115869

For children ages 5-11, during the Omicron wave, vaccination reduced the risk of hospitalizations by 68%
Link: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2202826

BA.2 will cause cases and hospitalisations to start rising again in the US... Only question is how big the peak will become... Vaccination rates much lower than in Europe but also more prior exposure here in US than Europe. Prior exposure is much lower here in US than India...

But today is the lowest number of US Covid hospitalizations since the pandemic started
A reason to celebrate, even if it's brief.

-The BA.2 variant is now dominant (>50%) for the basis of new cases in the United States, overtaking BA.1 because of its enhanced infectiousness...I am glad that second booster is approved in USA.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile: England’s nasty new BA2 wave has now caused more COVID19 hospitalizations than the last old Omicron wave. :(
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Bharat Biotech to slow down production of Covaxin
Hyderabad based Bharat Biotech today said that it is slowing down production of its Covid-19 vaccine Covaxin across its manufacturing facilities.

The company said the decision has been taken as it has completed its supply obligations to procurement agencies and is foreseeing decrease in demand.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Recent Important news items:
- China reports 13K+ new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record.
- New Covid mutant 'XE' found in UK, more transmissible than Omicron sub-variant.
- U.S. Cases rise for 3rd day in a row (up 12% from last week)
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

So first case of XE variant in India has been detected in Mumbai...Supposedly, a new sub-type of Covid is found or prevalent in China...Hopefully, we won't have a repeat of 2020 types of lockdowns again...Karnataka is thinking of relaxing mask rules after MH, WB, TN etc...perhaps not a good idea but again some new variant will be cropping up periodically and how long can society continue with wearing masks!

BTW, are Indian Ph-3 trails for newer Covid vaccines (like BB's nasal spray etc.) are being continued or they are progressing at snail's pace?
Last edited by Zynda on 06 Apr 2022 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Didnt BB have its authorisation revoked over some irregularities in production? Not sure by whom though..
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

my parents got two doses of Pfizer vaccines and last month (4-5 months after second vaccine shot) got Covid. Recovered at home with mild symptoms. First two days were bad. Anyhow, does anyone know when is it recommended to take third dose of Pfizer if one has contracted Covid?

heart attack + vaccine theory/conspiracy is quite popular. People like gates and faucci doesn't inspire confidence. My father also got heart attack after second dose of Pfizer and mother was otherwise healthy but after vaccination her BP became erratic, extreme high and low. sometimes jumps above 200 sys and lowers to sys 78, dia 48. she is always low on energy. My mom is not too inclined to take third dose because of this.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

sampat wrote:my parents got two doses of Pfizer vaccines and last month (4-5 months after second vaccine shot) got Covid. Recovered at home with mild symptoms. First two days were bad. Anyhow, does anyone know when is it recommended to take third dose of Pfizer if one has contracted Covid?
<snip>
Best wishes for your parents and wish a full and complete recovery..
Best is to ask your own doctor (who you trust) for specific recommendation. Use "covid.gov" or any reputable site ..better source of information than "anyone" in BRF -which may *not* that good a source. ..
FWIW here are few points:
1. - With Omicron - vaccine only induced immunity is *not* very great. I have some posts here, but there are many studies (with literally thousands of people). To put in perspective, two doses of Pfizer which had 90+% efficacy last year (against original variant) got reduced to something like 10% after many months. Even with boosters many people are getting covid - as the immunity vanes after few months.
2- This does *not* mean that vaccines are useless - It *still* prevents serious illnesses (and deaths) - especially with boosters that % becomes in 90+%.

3- There is plenty of data (I posted some before in this forum - but Sutra model calculates this pretty nicely) of natural (infection only) immunity as well as 'hybrid' (exposure to covid + vaccines as in your parents cases). Hybrid immunity is better (actually quite good if one looks at SUTRA data) but one can *still* get covid (newer variant). But still most recommend a booster, if available (note ** see my next post).
4 - What I have suggested to people (and consistent with reputable sources) is, unless there is a clear reason not to take a vaccine, have booster. Even if you have had covid. (Ask your doctor - There are some watch outs - if you received monoclonal antibodies etc you should wait for sufficient time - again ask your doctor)

5 - With two doses of Pfizer - I would suggest (I am suggesting this to my family) Moderna booster. (There is definite advantages - though not a dramatic one).
Last edited by Amber G. on 07 Apr 2022 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

moi jai 4 jab moi.feel like walking on clouds :P
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Zynda wrote:So first case of XE variant in India has been detected in Mumbai...Supposedly, a new sub-type of Covid is found or prevalent in China...Hopefully, we won't have a repeat of 2020 types of lockdowns again...Karnataka is thinking of relaxing mask rules after MH, WB, TN etc...perhaps not a good idea but again some new variant will be cropping up periodically and how long can society continue with wearing masks!

BTW, are Indian Ph-3 trails for newer Covid vaccines (like BB's nasal spray etc.) are being continued or they are progressing at snail's pace?
Few thoughts:
1 - In 2020, India had no choice but do a lockdown to save lives - massive amount of loss of lives. There were no vaccines. No effective cure. Health care system could not handle the spread. Have to take extreme measures to buy time.
2 - Situation is much different. About 90% adults are fully vaccinated. ~90% have natural immunity. Health care infra structure is much better and there are medicines. Even when vaccines lost their efficacy against new variants - they have been fairly effective against severe illness and deaths.
3 - We do have good monitoring system and modeling system.
4 - Strict blanket lockdowns are really not that effective or practical - Some times some local restrictions (when spread is fast) may be necessary but in general things have to be opened up.
5 - Reasonable precautions, say masks when practical, should be encouraged - but mandates (IMO) are not necessary.
6 - All indications at present are that India is under control. Keep doing vaccinations, monitoring etc..Unless a completely immune escape virus appear, we should be okay...

Meanwhile in few days India will have 1 billion people who have at least one shot of vaccine.
993 Million (at least 1 dose) 836 Million (2 doses) and 22 Million Boosters.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

China reports 23K new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record.
(Numbers are still underreported, and considering their low/fictitious number claims at the start of the pandemic most likely they are experiencing waves just like other countries did at some point)
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Shanghai is now in lockdown for 26 days. CCP is using drones to monitor and deter people.

https://twitter.com/aliceysu/status/1511558828802068481
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

How long before the latest gift from Chin reaches far shores?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Very good paper - sharing for perspective - very good useful data:
(From: https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii ... %2900138-6

A vaccine dose response (by number) for preventing Delta and Omicron infections

(There is significant probability for Omicron - even with two shots (or even with booster))
(Yet as said before, important point is with vaccinations, the symptoms are milder and chances of severe illness is greatly reduced.

Now Fourth dose is available for 50+ age in USA
Third Dose is available for 18+ in India.

Please get boosted.
Last edited by Amber G. on 08 Apr 2022 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^Any guidelines have been issued by GoI for adults who got Covid during Omicron wave? Do eligible adults have to wait for 90 days before getting 3rd booster shot?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The original PR is here:
Precaution Dose to be now available to 18+ population group from 10th April, 2022, at Private Vaccination Centres
It has been decided that precaution dose of COVID vaccines will be made available to 18+ population group at private vaccination centres. The administration of Precaution Dose to 18+ population through Private Vaccination Centres would start from 10th April (Sunday), 2022. All those who are more than 18 years of age & have completed 9 months after the administration of second dose, would be eligible for Precaution Dose. This facility would be available in all Private Vaccination Centres.

So far, about 96% of all 15+ population in the country have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose while about 83% of 15+ population has received both the doses. More than 2.4 crore Precaution Doses have also been administered to Healthcare Workers, Frontline Workers and 60+ population group. 45% of 12 to 14 years age group have also received the first dose. The on-going free vaccination programme through Government Vaccination Centres for first and second dose to the eligible population as well as Precaution Dose to Healthcare Workers, Frontline Workers and 60+ population would continue and would be accelerated.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Zynda wrote:^^Any guidelines have been issued by GoI for adults who got Covid during Omicron wave? Do eligible adults have to wait for 90 days before getting 3rd booster shot?
I believe this guideline of waiting upto 90 days was not revised during the Omicron wave (even though other guidelines like isolation days etc were revised), I see no reason why it would change for the boosters too.
On the other hand, the charges for a dose at private hospital seems to have been revised downward to Rs. 600 per shot. No mention of admin charges. I remember paying Rs. 900 for my original doses.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

How is the scheduling handled? Is this still via the COWIN app? I logged in and couldn't find any way to register.
sajo
BRFite

Post by sajo »

Bart S wrote:How is the scheduling handled? Is this still via the COWIN app? I logged in and couldn't find any way to register.
Yes, it would be via cowin. From my parents' experience, you would not see any slots until you come closer to your 9 month elapse date. Post that atleast the seniors received a text message stating they were eligible for boosters and should visit COWIN to book a slot.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

^Thanks!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The following CDC study describes why Hong Kong had amongst the highest mortality rates worldwide, despite reasonably high vaccination - the emphasis on vaccinating the workforce over the old. Among the 60+ in HK, less than half had at least two doses. 96% of their deaths were in this demographic. For India, the present numbers for that demographic are 98% first dose, 90% at least two doses, almost 10% with boosters.
COVID-19 Mortality and Vaccine Coverage — Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China, January 6, 2022–March 21, 2022
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

sajo wrote:
Bart S wrote:How is the scheduling handled? Is this still via the COWIN app? I logged in and couldn't find any way to register.
Yes, it would be via cowin. From my parents' experience, you would not see any slots until you come closer to your 9 month elapse date. Post that atleast the seniors received a text message stating they were eligible for boosters and should visit COWIN to book a slot.

my parents just walked to a nearby vaccination center in late JAN. their certificate was checked and politely asked to comeback in 10 days as they would then meet the criteria. walked in again and got the shot. COWIN was updated by the staff.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

So does the precautionary shot have to be the same vaccine as primary shots?
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Thakur_B wrote:So does the precautionary shot have to be the same vaccine as primary shots?
Yes. That is what is allowed at this time as per the newspaper report I read this morning. No mixing of doses allowed yet.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Covaxin booster enhances antibody response against Covid variants: Study
A booster dose of Covaxin administered six months after the two dose primary vaccination has shown elevated immune responses against SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern including Omicron and protection from severe disease, a study by ICMR and Bharat Biotech has found.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Good News!

Covishield, Covaxin price cut to Rs 225 per dose for private hospitals
The prices of Covishield and Covaxin booster shots have been slashed by more than half. Both the vaccine doses will now cost Rs 225. Covishield was earlier priced at Rs 600 while Covaxin booster was priced at Rs 1,200.

The price cuts were announced by Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla and Bharat Biotech co-founder Suchitra Ella on Twitter today after deliberations with the Centre. Booster doses will be available for all from tomorrow at private hospitals.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

I don't remember if this article by Dr Vinay Sampat about correlation between Moderna vaccine and myocarditis was shared here? He basically says that with 2 doses of Moderna, chances of myocarditis increases more than chances of preventing corona. He quotes a study in Nature magazine for this.

https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/p ... tified?s=r
It is now clear for men <40, dose 2 and dose 3 of Pfizer have more myocarditis than sars-cov-2 infection, and this is true for dose 1 and dose 2 of Moderna.

Pfizer boosters (Dose 3) have more myocarditis for men <40 than infection.

Myocarditis post infection is more common as you get older, in contrast with myocarditis post vaccination, which is more common as you are younger (reverse gradients)

But the truth is STILL WORSE than these data.

If the authors fixed the denominator for viral infection (i.e. used sero-prevalance), it would look even worse

If the authors separate men 16-24 from 12-15 and 25-40, it would likely look worst in 16-24 age group.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

putnanja wrote:I don't remember if this article by Dr Vinay Sampat about correlation between Moderna vaccine and myocarditis was shared here? He basically says that with 2 doses of Moderna, chances of myocarditis increases more than chances of preventing corona. He quotes a study in Nature magazine for this.

https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/p ... tified?s=r
Frankly, if you ask me, there are *many* such articles bordering on conspiracy theory type nonsense..IMO.

Vinay Prasad ( A UCSF oncologist whose article posted above) is quite well known among us - quite vocal (and IMO somewhat arrogant) - but has quite vocally advocated some *really* silly issues. One for example (not making it up - it became quite famous) - vocal opposition to masks ("No clinical data for usefulness of N95 or other masks" - prompted a remark from one of us "There is no clinical data that injecting bleach will not be beneficial either")..

Anyway, it so happens that in WSJ today - Covid and vaccine-associated myocarditis reports today, all providing reassurance that the risks of both are very low (and for infection/disease > vaccine). (Link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-v ... 649716211?

Good reference for doctors are these two recent publications:
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161 ... 121.056817
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161 ... 0000001064
>>Myocarditis from Covid in hospitalized patients (rare, 2.4/1,000) and a consensus statement/review (including vaccine effect) in children and adolescents ..

And ..
>>>Vaccines and myocarditis/pericarditis: a new systematic review of >400 million doses of various vaccines, from 1947 -> 2021
Overall incidence: Covid (18/M) vs non-Covid (56/M)
Smallpox highest; Covid similar to flu shots
—mRNA risk: male, < age 30, still less/similar to that of flu shots (mRNA/Moderna is higher but still quite low and risk of myocarditis due to covid ( not taking a vaccine) is much higher)
For doctors worth reading the link:
Myopericarditis following COVID-19 vaccination and non-COVID-19 vaccination: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

The following CDC study describes why Hong Kong had amongst the highest mortality rates worldwide, despite reasonably high vaccination - the emphasis on vaccinating the workforce over the old. Among the 60+ in HK, less than half had at least two doses. 96% of their deaths were in this demographic. For India, the present numbers for that demographic are 98% first dose, 90% at least two doses, almost 10% with boosters.
Using SUTRA model there was analysis of HK, (along with South Korea, Singapore) - I posted a detailed post with analysis - worthwhile to take a look: <here>

With keeping India in mind - we analyzed why HK, for example had such a high death-rate examining vaccine status and other factors.
1 - Four Asian-Pacific countries have experienced severe Omicron waves, but only 1 has an extremely high death toll. Note that before this January all these countries did reasonably well.
(Image removed - see original message linked above)

2. There's a marked difference in vaccination and boosters.

(Image removed - see original message linked above)

3. Vaccination rates for elderly are dangerously low in HK. (I looked at graphs for different ages and it is quite remarkable - elderly are most vulnerable. Unlike India where fully vaxed are about 90% in the age group in HK this ratio is about 60-75%)

4. HK also used high percentage of Sinovac, (which has been shown to be almost useless for Omicron)
5. Articles (study published in HK) show the reduced neutralization and marked waning of CoronaVac.

For learnings for India (and US) - 65+ or such groups should be vaccinated *as much* as possible.
Many European countries have reached 90% booster rates for this age group. US is quite below that. India should increase the booster rates for this age group (my opinion).