Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Post by Amber G. »

For US (and other places where 4th booster is available) -
If you are 50+ get that booster - Just saying! It can save your life :)

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Amber ji, Is the US/California still on for late April wave? When is the expected peak and the peak number of cases? TIA.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^
For US BA.2 wave (Monitoring BA.4 etc too)
- By now, almost all new cases in the US are BA.2
(86% latest CDC sequencing data, with built-in lag)

—New cases up 17% in past week but no state is above 31/100,000 (Vermont)
Hospitalizations continue to decrease
—~1 million PCR tests reported yesterday: 3.6% positivity
— all things considered *all* are encouraging metrics compared w/ what happened in many countries in Europe.
(Hospitalization figures are coming down..)

(NorthEast states - Wastewater and other numbers are high )
(In short - reco - as usual is - one can still get covid but with vaccinations (and boosters) chances of serious illness is quite low - I still wear a mask - especially indoors in crowded places).
---
(New cases and deaths /per million in US, Canada and India)

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Thanks Amber ji.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Amber G. wrote:
putnanja wrote:I don't remember if this article by Dr Vinay Sampat about correlation between Moderna vaccine and myocarditis was shared here? He basically says that with 2 doses of Moderna, chances of myocarditis increases more than chances of preventing corona. He quotes a study in Nature magazine for this.

https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/p ... tified?s=r
Frankly, if you ask me, there are *many* such articles bordering on conspiracy theory type nonsense..IMO.

Vinay Prasad ( A UCSF oncologist whose article posted above) is quite well known among us - quite vocal (and IMO somewhat arrogant) - but has quite vocally advocated some *really* silly issues. One for example (not making it up - it became quite famous) - vocal opposition to masks ("No clinical data for usefulness of N95 or other masks" - prompted a remark from one of us "There is no clinical data that injecting bleach will not be beneficial either")..
I think you are shooting the messenger by targeting Dr Vinay and making mockery of him by calling it conspiracy theory. But he was quoting the study in Nature magazine, I believe the original article is the one below. Compared to a rag like WSJ, Nature is more credible IMHO.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01630-0
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Amber G...any updates from Sutra folks about possibility of XE variant causing another wave in India? In Delhi, detected cases has risen by 50% in one day although the overall daily case was still around 300. Some shooting up of cases has been happening across certain states in Northern India.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Question for Gurus:

I had 3 shots of Pfizer in the US. Now I am in India and want to get the 4th shot. Since Pfizer is not available in India, which vaccine available in India would be the best for a booster shot for me?

I am 65

TIA
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Niece in kaneda, after three doses of pfizer, still ended up with the corona infection

heard this from a few others too who were similarly infected after three pfizer doses

what gives with this hyped up and costly pfizer vaccine..... are they simply all sizzle and no steak
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Kakkaji wrote:Question for Gurus:

I had 3 shots of Pfizer in the US. Now I am in India and want to get the 4th shot. Since Pfizer is not available in India, which vaccine available in India would be the best for a booster shot for me?

I am 65

TIA

In India, mix-match trials have been approved by the authorities but no definitive reports of the conclusion of such trials yet

someone here is bound to have the latest authentic news on the progress of these trials

https://www.livemint.com/science/health ... 14079.html
23 Mar 2022,

Globally, 33 vaccines have been approved for mix-match doses. In India, Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore is conducting a trial on mixing of two covid-19 vaccines—Covaxin and Covishield.

Under the current vaccine mixing protocol, someone who is fully vaccinated with vaccine ‘A’ receives a booster dose of vaccine ‘B’, and vice versa.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Thanks Chetakji

I have been looking for the news about the results of 'mix-and-match' trials at CMC Vellore also, but looks like no information has been put out in public domain.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Indian mix and match trialing has focused on Indian vaccines for obvious reasons, e.g. can Corbevax be a booster for someone who had Covaxin for doses 1 and 2 ? Trials of other vaccines aren't easily feasible simply because the aren't enough candidates in India to trial on.

I recommend that you also ask US authorities about you receiving a booster of a vaccine that's not one of the US listed ones. The system in general is ridiculously siloed, but it is what it is.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Kakkaji wrote:Question for Gurus:

I am 65

TIA

Logically you should get a whole virus just to make sure your body is able to recognize the entire virus and not just the tip of the spike.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

After nearly two years we attended an Indian wedding in California. It felt like a jail break. Over 400 guests, morning wedding and evening reception. Most of the guests are physicians and their families including the bride and the groom. I am sure all of them are vaccinated and boostered. Prior to this we attended 3,4 functions with 50-100 guests. No one wearing masks and lots of mingling. Me and wife are vaccinated (she pfyzer and me moderna) and boostered.

Now the wait begins. Did we catch any? No one sneezing, sniffling or coughing. But still the doubts reamain.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Delhi is reporting an increase in cases, and some articles day the R value also has gone above 1.0. Another wave in the making? How does the IIT-K projection look like now?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 921747.cms

https://swarajyamag.com/health/covid-19 ... researcher
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

saip wrote:After nearly two years we attended an Indian wedding in California. It felt like a jail break. Over 400 guests, morning wedding and evening reception. Most of the guests are physicians and their families including the bride and the groom. I am sure all of them are vaccinated and boostered. Prior to this we attended 3,4 functions with 50-100 guests. No one wearing masks and lots of mingling. Me and wife are vaccinated (she pfyzer and me moderna) and boostered.

Now the wait begins. Did we catch any? No one sneezing, sniffling or coughing. But still the doubts reamain.
We were at a wedding in Texas last Saturday. About 200 guests. Two turned up positive for COVID on Monday, still waiting to see if we have more. Of course nobody was wearing a mask. On the return flight from there (Tuesday), noticed that nobody was masked at the airport in TX, none of the flight attendants wore one. Just about a third of the passengers had a mask on. At JFK too, despite NY still requiring a mask mandate, about 20% of the people at the airport did not have one.

I think people are fed up of the masks and all the other restrictions. It does feel like a jail break when you don't have to wear one in a public place or at an event.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Why does one need 4th vaccination? Particularly if one already had the virus?

How does mask help in enclosed spaces like restaurants where one has to eat & drink?

At this point, coronavirus has to be accepted as endemic, just like the European flu, we now have the Wuhan virus.

Looking at Sanghai, clearly the lockdown strategy does not help. Solutions outside of vaccines also need to be discussed.

And the case count rising? Do we even track the rise in case counts of common cold, pneumonia, flu? And more deadlier diseases like TB?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Primus wrote: I think people are fed up of the masks and all the other restrictions. It does feel like a jail break when you don't have to wear one in a public place or at an event.
I have a no-mask mandate at home. At work where we have to report at least 3 days in a week, the mask mandates were ridiculous. None followed them after few days.

In nutshell, the trust of ppl on public health officials is gone. Ridiculous policies were followed, like closing down of open spaces without any significant outcome. Even governors were caught laundering their masks.

So yes, it does feel like getting out of jail.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

sohamn wrote: Logically you should get a whole virus just to make sure your body is able to recognize the entire virus and not just the tip of the spike.
Ergo if you had the virus, vaccines are mostly unnecessary. Particularly the mRNA ones.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

chetak wrote: what gives with this hyped up and costly pfizer vaccine..... are they simply all sizzle and no steak
As my maternal uncle explained to me:

The idea is that your body will recognize certain spike proteins & prepare your antibodies, B-cell & T-cell to mount effective war when the jehadi spike shows up.

However if only Baki jehadis are presented as spike proteins by the vaccine manufacturer, then your body will miss undercover kejru or MaoMata jehadi spike proteins & you get the disease.

It's in interest of vaccine manufacturer to get the show going. Like 4th vaccination in 16 months. Huge money potential for everyone.

Unless of course you get the real virus. Then body has recognized several spikes. And as long as your immune system is robust, you can fend of the infection.

My maternal uncle got first vaccine, got the real one in the delta wave, was carted away to an isolation & survived. He did not get 2nd or booster & has decided to live a carefree life.

His point, i got the real one. Why give me a photo of it?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

disha wrote:Why does one need 4th vaccination? Particularly if one already had the virus?

How does mask help in enclosed spaces like restaurants where one has to eat & drink?

At this point, coronavirus has to be accepted as endemic, just like the European flu, we now have the Wuhan virus.

Looking at Sanghai, clearly the lockdown strategy does not help. Solutions outside of vaccines also need to be discussed.

And the case count rising? Do we even track the rise in case counts of common cold, pneumonia, flu? And more deadlier diseases like TB?
the entire cheeni vaccine fiasco can be traced back to a single reason, the pathetic performance and efficacy of their bleddy sinovac and its equally ineffective derivatives

serves the f(****s right

and the wokes/lootyens secularatis were demanding that the sinovac family be imported at $40 a pop
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Chetakji,

There is something that is even stranger.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... vaccinated

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-61036737

From the first,

"Only half of Chinese aged 80 and older are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, highlighting a key vulnerability as the country grapples with its worst outbreak since Wuhan and the prospect of reopening to the world.

About 51% of over 80-year-olds have received two shots and some 20% have gotten boosters, health officials told reporters at a briefing in Beijing Friday. While 87.9% of China’s 1.4 billion people have been vaccinated with two shots -- a high percentage globally -- the numbers decline with age, with the figure dropping to 82% for those between 70 and 79.

Of the 264 million Chinese aged above 60, 52 million are yet to be fully vaccinated, officials said."

and from the second

"Shanghai officials said only 38% of residents over 60 are fully vaccinated."

It appears that in addition to a fake vaccine, they uniquely, have decided to NOT vaccinate the elderly. Strange? Almost like you want them to die.

also see

https://www.google.com/search?q=%25+of+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

The numbers simply do not make sense if read with the articles above. NO opinion from the Lancet!

Doses given Fully vaccinated % of population fully vaccinated
3.32B______1.25B__________88.3%
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:Chetakji,

There is something that is even stranger.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... vaccinated

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-61036737

From the first,

"Only half of Chinese aged 80 and older are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, highlighting a key vulnerability as the country grapples with its worst outbreak since Wuhan and the prospect of reopening to the world.

About 51% of over 80-year-olds have received two shots and some 20% have gotten boosters, health officials told reporters at a briefing in Beijing Friday. While 87.9% of China’s 1.4 billion people have been vaccinated with two shots -- a high percentage globally -- the numbers decline with age, with the figure dropping to 82% for those between 70 and 79.

Of the 264 million Chinese aged above 60, 52 million are yet to be fully vaccinated, officials said."

and from the second

"Shanghai officials said only 38% of residents over 60 are fully vaccinated."

It appears that in addition to a fake vaccine, they uniquely, have decided to NOT vaccinate the elderly. Strange? Almost like you want them to die.

also see

https://www.google.com/search?q=%25+of+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

The numbers simply do not make sense if read with the articles above. NO opinion from the Lancet!

Doses given Fully vaccinated % of population fully vaccinated
3.32B______1.25B__________88.3%
Lisa ji,

Epidemic wise, that's some serious risk universe that the cheenis have created for themselves.

Unfortunately, it looks like the holes in the swiss cheese lined up perfectly for them

low grade vaccines, poor efficacy, lower percentage of vaccinations, especially the vulnerable and at times, the immuno compromised aged who may possibly also present with a much higher percentage of comorbidities

after brexit and the consequent cold reception from the EU, the brits are much more dependant on the hans for business, trade including goods and services, which exceeded >£30 billion in 2019 and last year it dropped to a shade over £26 billion

The cheeni business would be much more crucial for the brits this year, hence the literary prudence, being economical with the truth about cheeni vaccines, and the resulting moderation in tone and tenor from lancet
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Ignoring noise while responding ..
Zynda wrote:Amber G...any updates from Sutra folks about possibility of XE variant causing another wave in India? In Delhi, detected cases has risen by 50% in one day although the overall daily case was still around 300. Some shooting up of cases has been happening across certain states in Northern India.
SUTRA methods and data which the team uses are in public domain so many of us are keeping a close eye on data and trajectory. As you say cases has been increasing upwards in certain states.

When I looked at the site (https://sutra-india.in/) - the graph plotted there is not updated for about a month ( - from parameters about 2 months ago).

IMO - current rise in numbers does not appear significant ..though trajectory calculated for some states/districts may/will have some upswing (ripples I will say) but for India as a whole - it does not look like any new 'wave' in coming months. The contagiousness of new variants (and people's habit) obviously changes 'beta' but unless a new variants - by that I mean completely *new* - which bypasses natural immunity in a significant way the present newer variants (as worrisome as they are) are not going to cause a wave.

In any case in a few more days (when the current trajectory in Delhi is taken into account -- and phase becomes stable) I will try to post updates.

It would be nice if that site keeps updating those graphs - I think in a few days or so, they will update those graphs as this new data is taken into account.

Meanwhile we can all help - Keep masks in indoor settings especially in crowded places. Get boosters and vaccinated (Hopefully children too get eligible fairly soon).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Disha, The virus is evolving/varying all the time. No guarantees that it won't re-infect.
Especially if you don't want to mask.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

chetak wrote:
disha wrote:Why does one need 4th vaccination? Particularly if one already had the virus?

the entire cheeni vaccine fiasco can be traced back to a single reason, the pathetic performance and efficacy of their bleddy sinovac and its equally ineffective derivatives

serves the f(****s right

and the wokes/lootyens secularatis were demanding that the sinovac family be imported at $40 a pop
The Chinese situation reminds me of polio and smallpox spikes in the 1960s. Back then, we had no domestic vaccines, and the original imported ones were low efficacy, partly because of Indian conditions affecting their capability (temperatures, storage and handling, application skill and more). The result was that after the first round of vaccinations, things got worse and not better, because the Indian strains mutated and became more virulent. It wasn't until after a second far more comprehensive round with a much more effective vaccine formulation (freeze dried, diluted in glycerin) and application mechanism (bifurcated needle) that smallpox was addressed. Polio took several more attempts.

For a pandemic response the basic requirement is this - you want the most effective vaccine you can make, and you want to cover all the vulnerable groups first and then work your way down to the lesser vulnerable ones. This is 100% what India did. Neither China nor the US seem to be doing that. The former seems to have bizarrely done nearly 2.5x the population in vaccinations, but has not blanket covered the vulnerable groups. How did they do that ? By giving 5-6 shots to working age groups ? The US has entire groups that just don't want to be vaccinated because their heads are too far up their behinds.

India has >98%/90% first/second dose cover of its 60+ critical vulnerability group and ~95%/85% cover of its 45+ group. That's the right approach and execution.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Pandemic response in the US has been an absolute failure. More than 600,000 dead since the current US regime took over on 20 Jan 2021. I was booking domestic flights within India on Indigo and noticed that there is a 10% discount if you've been partially vaccinated and more if you're fully vaccinated in India. Too bad me and family have US mRNA vaccines which aren't eligible for the discount.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

disha wrote:However if only Baki jehadis are presented as spike proteins by the vaccine manufacturer, then your body will miss undercover kejru or MaoMata jehadi spike proteins & you get the disease.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Viva BRF jingo lingo !
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile without much fanfare .. 1 Billion people have at least one shot!
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I wouldn't put it past the CCP to see their home made pandemic as a remedy for some much needed demographic correction. Its easier to let oldies die than make the young reproduce more to achieve the statistics that assure a more balanced society which is needed to guarantee stability under a totalitarian regime.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Oddly enough, I had the same thought.
venkat_kv
BRFite

Post by venkat_kv »

Strange that even this very thought crossed my mind that maybe the CCP is "willingly" trying to cull the aged population using this pandemic.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:Oddly enough, I had the same thought.
ditto

It also sounds like a very cheeni solution too, given their treatment of their own populations, uighurs not included .
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Lisa wrote:
Could it be a CCP strategy to try and fix their looming demographic disaster due to the one-child policy and a rapidly aging population?
isubodh
BRFite

Post by isubodh »

Bart S wrote:
Could it be a CCP strategy to try and fix their looming demographic disaster due to the one-child policy and a rapidly aging population?
What took you so long to come to that conclution, you are almost 2 yrs late :lol:
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Do not put past anything beyond Cheeni Commie Party (CCP).

Some "bright bulb" in the CCP must have read *stupid* papers like this https://www.vox.com/a/new-economy-futur ... low-growth and decided to eliminate older popln. They were far brutal during Mao's great leap forward. They might be calculating that freeing up the younger popln from the care of the older ones will free them up to make babies.

I do not think nature works that way. Still, if the mandarins in CCP decide to be brutal even to their own elderly, we can only shake our heads to the sides and move on.

One thing though, no one., None should come and state that the CCP model is the best approach. They may look TFTA, but at this stage, anything CCP should be looked down upon, frowned upon and they should be treated as the pariahs of the world. Whether it comes to vaccines, health care, economy, agriculture, defense, or foreign relations.

The very fact that they originated and exported the Wuhan virus. Their mismanagement before, during and post-pandemic should raise enough suspicions about their capability to do anything.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

And very much like their "tallel than mountains" friend, they have shown tactical brilliance but failed to understand all the unintended consequences - this pandemic has set in motion a shift in the supply chains especially of critical goods and the world noticed how well India took care of its billion plus population with vaccines. This will mark the beginning of a new phase of growth which will eclipse all previous and decades later historians will conclude this as a huge self-goal by the Chinese.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Mort Walker wrote:Pandemic response in the US has been an absolute failure. More than 600,000 dead since the current US regime took over on 20 Jan 2021. I was booking domestic flights within India on Indigo and noticed that there is a 10% discount if you've been partially vaccinated and more if you're fully vaccinated in India. Too bad me and family have US mRNA vaccines which aren't eligible for the discount.
As pointed out by Suraj, several significant popln in US had their arse up their heads (or vice versa, it does not matter).

The entire Wuhan virus pandemic was mismanaged due to it becoming a political football. And this same set tried to politicize Wuhan virus pandemic response in India. Just to see the current Indian government trip.

Here is what happened in the great state of Kahlifornia:

2020 Feb: Travel ban from China. Political football. Kahlifornia Guv calls it "racist" and allows free travel from Cheen.
2020 March 19: Kahlifornia issues stay-at-home order. This is to flatten the curve. Lots of contracts are signed, but not used.
2020 March-October: Vaccine becomes a political football. Vaccine confidence is undermined.
2020 November: Vaccines are rolled out, the entire rollout is a fiasco. Vaccine hesitancy is fueled now. Significant stay indoors orders are released
2020 November: Guv Kahlifornia is caught with masks down at french laundry. Why is it a big deal? A private dinner costs $945 per person
2021 March: Second wave grips Kahlifornia. What happened to health care capacity increase? In fact, opeds are doubting that Kahlifornia is not in a second wave.

I will pause here. Point is that the wuhan virus pandemic was made a political football leading to severe mismanagement.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Expect fireworks as the WHO report into Coronavirus casualties is scheduled to be released in the next few days. GoI has already rejected it saying the methodology is deeply flawed. But it wont prevent the report saying India had 5-7x the official number.

Then the vidhwa vilaap of Butt will start about 50000000000000 deaths in India
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Tanaji wrote:Expect fireworks as the WHO report into Coronavirus casualties is scheduled to be released in the next few days. GoI has already rejected it saying the methodology is deeply flawed. But it wont prevent the report saying India had 5-7x the official number.

Then the vidhwa vilaap of Butt will start about 50000000000000 deaths in India
As per Burkha / Rana Ayyub and other paid sepoys, India should have lost 90% of its population last year itself and we should be at the Zombie Apocalypse stage now.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Admin note: Irrelevant commentary on forum and threads removed. Please use report function or Forum feedback thread.

1. Looks like immune escape of BA.2.12.1 (headed now toward US dominance) is quite substantial, more than BA.2, with little cross-immunity with BA.1, similar to BA.4 and BA.5, and causing serious concern about value of Omicron BA.1 booster vaccines effectiveness.
BA.2.12.1 is likely to be >40% by now ! (Per CDC data at: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... roportions

More at: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 0.489997v1