Social Media Watch Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Re: Social Media Watch Thread

Post by Kaivalya »

More on thoonberg for-hire activism

First help Sami people from prosecution and discrimination before thinking about the world

vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/meity-k ... -activity/
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and many of its organisations have moved to Koo, a Made-in-India alternative to micro blogging platform Twitter, Your Story has reported. According to the report, Ministry of Electronics and IT, MyGov, Digital India, India Post, NIC, NIELIT, SAMEER, Common Services Center, UMANG app, Digi Locker, NIXI, STPI, CDAC, and CMET have verified handles on the platform.

The move comes at a time when the Government is mulling actions against Twitter for failing to comply with its orders on removing Khalistani and anti-India accounts. Sources told News18, “The accounts ordered blocked are of Khalistani sympathisers, or those backed by Pakistan and operating from foreign territories. Many of the accounts are also automated bots that were used for sharing and amplifying misinformation and provocative contents on farmers protest.”

We can also confirm that the government has taken note of the Twitter activity of CEO Jack Dorsey which hints at an anti-India bias. Sources within the Ministry said, “It is also pertinent to note that a few days ago global CEO of Twitter Jack Dorsey had liked several tweets made by foreign based celebrities in support of farmer protests. In view of this, defiance of Government orders by Twitter raises several questions.”
What should be the strategy?

Just move account and leave twitter alone?

Ban?

Regulatory legislative law for all SM platforms?

I am just trying to elicit different options people prefer.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

vijayk wrote:
Banning wouldn't look too good imo.
Ideal thing would be to just fine twatter $40-50 million, donate half to Koo or whatever and use the rest to establish a body overseeing all SM platforms. Don't know how feasible this is but i'm sure if they really wanted to do this, our babus can find one rule or the other to push this through.

Plenty of money to be made from fb, insta and our very own twatter :mrgreen:
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

India should come up with a plan to quickly move (in 1- 2 years) to desi alternatives for widely used consumer technology. Target should be to grow market share of desi alternative platform to 50% in two years. I believe this is doable with government push and impossible to do without any government help. This will involve tax holiday for 5 years for fully Indian owned and operated in India alternatives. India needs to tax ad dollars originating from India for foreign monopolies. All government officials and government communication should move immediately to new platform. New laws needs to be framed to have more teeth to control foreign companies like they do for telecom operators. Anything more?
vijayk wrote:

Last edited by mukkan on 09 Feb 2021 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

^^^ I am afraid there is no policy on ott platforms, online news or sm . I am happy to be corrected

Here is our favorite minister:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 761667.ece

Currently facebook or Twitter have their own staff verifying what is good or bad :-) Needless to say that aligns towards their revenue. We need a policy that will penalize specific actions of anyone in the platform or the platform itself if their users are found in violation or the platform turns off sensible users as censored etc
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Kaivalya wrote:^^^ I am afraid there is no policy on ott platforms, online news or sm . I am happy to be corrected

Currently facebook or Twitter have their own staff verifying what is good or bad :-) Needless to say that aligns towards their revenue. We need a policy that will penalize specific actions of anyone in the platform or the platform itself if their users are found in violation or the platform turns off sensible users as censored etc
OTT platforms - Regulation should say companies which promote hatred/bigotry against India/Hindus or companies that endorse such companies would be excluded from doing business/bidding contracts in India or investing.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

vijayk wrote:
Kaivalya wrote:^^^ I am afraid there is no policy on ott platforms, online news or sm . I am happy to be corrected

OTT platforms - Regulation should say companies which promote hatred/bigotry against India/Hindus or companies that endorse such companies would be excluded from doing business/bidding contracts in India or investing.
Absolutely. In this case, lack of our own policy means it gets substituted with laws of the west/where most of the IT companies are. And we are back to situation normal...
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

vijayk wrote:https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/meity-k ... -activity/
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and many of its organisations have moved to Koo, a Made-in-India alternative to micro blogging platform Twitter, Your Story has reported. According to the report, Ministry of Electronics and IT, MyGov, Digital India, India Post, NIC, NIELIT, SAMEER, Common Services Center, UMANG app, Digi Locker, NIXI, STPI, CDAC, and CMET have verified handles on the platform.

The move comes at a time when the Government is mulling actions against Twitter for failing to comply with its orders on removing Khalistani and anti-India accounts. Sources told News18, “The accounts ordered blocked are of Khalistani sympathisers, or those backed by Pakistan and operating from foreign territories. Many of the accounts are also automated bots that were used for sharing and amplifying misinformation and provocative contents on farmers protest.”

We can also confirm that the government has taken note of the Twitter activity of CEO Jack Dorsey which hints at an anti-India bias. Sources within the Ministry said, “It is also pertinent to note that a few days ago global CEO of Twitter Jack Dorsey had liked several tweets made by foreign based celebrities in support of farmer protests. In view of this, defiance of Government orders by Twitter raises several questions.”
What should be the strategy?

Just move account and leave twitter alone?

Ban?

1. Heavy monetary penalty imposed on twitter with a ban for several days. To reallow twitter, require them to deposit a few hundred million dollars surety guaranteeing future good behavior.
2. Indian directors and above arrested and sent to prison for some time for disobeying an explicit legal order.
3. Issue legal notices for twitter Board of Directors, management and senior engineering managers to present themselves for investigation.
4. If twitter still refuses to comply, declare them an essential service, bring them under ESMA and take over operations.
5. Finally, named sanctions against Jack Dorsey, banning any Indian passport holder from any financial dealing with him or any organization that he leads. This has the potential to derail twitter operations because a high percentage of twitter and square engineering employees will be Indian passport holders.
6. Require Twitter, FB etc. to have certain numbers of individuals who are subject to the Indian legal system in their Board of Directors.

This is an escalating series of steps, which can be taken one after the other. In the long run, India and Indians must be able to present its case to the world without bias and therefore a platform that is fair and unbiased is a must. We must compel twitter/fb/insta/google to behave this way. That is probably preferable to a splinternet with India having its own internet engines.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

I would also want Twatter to hold all details of Indian users in servers based in India and under Indian jurisdiction
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

I think the best is for us to go and support desi platforms..why is it that we look up to govt for everything? if we go and create network effects twitter itself will be screwed!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Generally speaking, banning an SM platform is usually bad optics. It also is too easy a tool that gets in the way of making real policy. It is an immediate-gratification endorphin rush that doesn't quite work long term.

SM companies all implicitly enjoy the benefit of Section 230 immunity worldwide, even though Section 230 is only a US law. India needs its own variant that serves Indian requirements. In fact, those wanting to dig into this topic should take time to read and understand Section 230 well, and what a law better suited to India would be like.

sudeepj has very good ideas above. A foreign SM company that profits from a monster Indian base, needs skin within the Indian system. However, this has to occur via legislature. Often 'legal orders' and 'bans' have been overturned simply because it's an executive order without legislative foundation.

While it may take years to evolve a good legal base, a lot can be done immediately. For starters, there's the suggestion #6 above - needing India-domiciled Indian personnel accountable for local operations and legal responses. Additional legislated mandates include requiring all Indian-origin IDs to be data located on servers in India. Whether it is a technical challenge is their problem.

When it comes to actions for non-compliance, bans are a hard hammer. With accounts located in India, the better approach is probably to freeze the sites - the site can keep functioning but no one in India can post to it. I think this can be accomplished regardless of whether the data is located in India or outside, by capturing traffic to the site. Attempts to post should generate a message given by the government, indicating why the site is read-only, how long it's been, and the fine the site has incurred so far.

Another is taxation of all ads shown on their platform in India. Potentially, they must each hold a surety amount in an RBI controlled account that the government will collect fines from when they do not comply. If the balance of those accounts falls below a limit, their site is frozen until replenished. Yet another option is a mandatory contribution to a domestic fund that invests in Indian alternatives and ecosystem.

There are other options, but functionally, the aim here is that they have to have stakes within India that cost them. The government should not have to go after them - they have to work to keep the authorities happy. Foreign news companies are subject to strict ownership laws and restrictions in India. It's time SM entities were also legislatively handled with rigor.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I have joined Koo based out of India.

Id is @ramana_brf

Many stalwarts are there.

We plan to abandon Twitter soon.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

NaMo had first conversation with Biden today.
Among other things both agreed to rules based system.
To India it means break Indian law you will be subject to Indian law.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

i agree sooraj san, but the thing is storing data in india doesnt do much. In a way data is an asset, it is used for all sort of algorithm tuning. Without that it is all gas. Storing in Indi does zilch, It can be easily remote accessed. It's like your oil being drilled through oblique pipelines was it Iraq-Kuwait.

People call it data colonization.

People may counter that behavioural patterns are quite different across cultures, yet there is a lot of transfer learning that happens. In my past life i have used algorithms from large countries on small countries' portfolios, with some customization of course. However, the major driver still remains the large country. OK US may not have fake angel priya's but still they can do a lot. Having data, seeing results, sets a cycle where people hypothesise, and keep testing on a population. Some work some dont. With cookies etc they track all offline and other activity too.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ramana wrote:I have joined Koo based out of India.

Id is @ramana_brf

cant find you there.. did try finding you and others there..i am with my brf handle in hindi....
PS: changed the language settings and found !!
Last edited by ArjunPandit on 09 Feb 2021 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

Faced with a warning of arrest of its employees and a penal action, American social media giant Twitter has finally reach out..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

> having a country specific app is another step in creation of digital borders. Think of it as a local currency best would be to either root or reset the
device so that the evil big twitter at least cant track us back
> i request at least the group members to use local languages you're familiar with as well...will be of immense help to the those working on the keyboard or algorithms
!
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Joined Koo too. But their website seems to be extremely slow, takes forever to load. Don't know if they're just getting more traffic or they haven't worked out the kinks yet. Also trying to sign in gives a critical error. Can anyone else confirm?

https://www.kooapp.com/feed
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ArjunPandit wrote:i agree sooraj san, but the thing is storing data in india doesnt do much. In a way data is an asset, it is used for all sort of algorithm tuning. Without that it is all gas. Storing in Indi does zilch, It can be easily remote accessed. It's like your oil being drilled through oblique pipelines was it Iraq-Kuwait.
Not quite. Data localization means the raw information on the people and analytics have to be stored on Indian servers. They'll need an Indian domain name. The ability of the companies to monetize those analytics is controlled by Indian laws. The indemnification from the contents of what their users post (i.e. Section 230 related freedoms) are controlled by Indian law and not implicitly by US law.

Yes they could technically circumvent it, but with a written law in place, they're simply breaking the law, and thus subject to fines and penalties to be collected off their deposits. The task of the government is to come up with laws where they switch the balance of power to their side. This means that they statutorily apply a law at the instance of laws being broken, and the platform is then required to reach out and pay for it.

There are a number of actions they government can undertake that are not user visible. E.g. all analytics turned off for X weeks as punishment, meaning no ad income.
Punjabi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Punjabi »

Data Localization with strong enforceable Laws does give us some countermeasures. It will certainly deter the BrownGoras in India serving their GoraGora Masters abroad and all those NRIs losing their OCIs will make them 'Think'...also technology like computational Knowledge Graphs can help find indirect relationships between all these BIFs. This is being used for anti-money laundering, identifying networks of bad actors already.
Seeing how these Goramedia is hell bent on painting India, NaMo bad actors, I hope MEA invests in a global digital forum/network to counter these shitbags...they make billions on Indian users only to egg on us... With XidenPee and MeanaMamola in Potus chair at least for 4 years, we need to be hyper-aggressive. Whether we like it not the regular ignorant goras only read Teetaroo and make up their mind. Social media have created a ignorant fools population that can not rea beyond 100 words and 0 time to read thru...With all that desi power in IT and also Trump starting his own party or at least a media network, we need to start looking at where we can counter this ugly narrative. As one POTUS said, tell a lie 1000 times and it becomes the Truth...that's the biggest danger with 150-250 characters narrative...use of keywords to build an image is a potent weapon and we are losing that war! You just need to look at professional forums like LinkedIn how Desis are hating each other and painting India, NaMo in bad light...and making a fool of ourselves in front of the world. I have pushed back on LinkedIn many times to fellow Desis...hopefully, I won't be banned there!
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

Id is @ramana_brf

Found you and followed you being a good Kashmalan. It's about time the Indian government and BJP head honchos move lock stock and barrel to Koo. Once the PM moves its end of Twitter in India at least.

The explanation given by Twitter is that it fears for its employees' safety and the order they follow in blocking the Tweets are Twitter's own laws, and then comes the jurisdiction of the local authority.

They seem to have reached to RSB who will do "Kadi Nindha' and let Twitter walk. it's about time the executive team of Twitter gets to see the interior of Delhi jail.
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

Laws alone don't provide any negotiation power for India. India needs a strong alternative with good market share to dictate terms to foreign monopolies. Government needs to act fast to encourage indigenisation of SM platforms.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Suraj wrote:Yes they could technically circumvent it, but with a written law in place, they're simply breaking the law, ...
You are right. Most companies are loath to break the law. If there is no law, then there is no bar for them to do anything they want.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Suraj wrote:Yes they could technically circumvent it, but with a written law in place, they're simply breaking the law, ...
You are right. Most companies are loath to break the law. If there is no law, then there is no bar for them to do anything they want.
agreed with the law part, but my point is about data/analytics even if stored in india does give you any money while the companies make huge amounts on it. One could argue that they have invested in capabilities, but its the importance of pen and paper. Think of the the competitive advantage google data gives it ..
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

Meanwhile Congress is getting ready for big push in SM. It will join hands with MNCs to control the SM messaging during election cycles.
Congress launches 'Join Social Media' campaign; Rahul says o ..
5 lakh online "warriors" who, former party chief
said, ............

He said people can join through website, toll-free number or by WhatsApp.
Gupta said the party will take this campaign to people for a month and invite them to join. Then there will be a basic
interview in all states and "we will give responsibilities accordingly", he said.
He said people can work at different levels -- district, state and
national -- and they will be given responsibilities accordingly.
After a month of interviews those who do well will be given
training, Gupta added.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/21/02/0 ... on-twitter

The original story is here

https://apnews.com/article/media-social ... 9bf071a77c
Messages posted by the network, which also praised China, reached the social media feeds of government officials, including some in China and Venezuela who retweeted posts from the fake accounts to millions of their followers. The international reach marked new territory for a pro-China social media network that has been operating for years, said Ben Nimmo, head of investigations for Graphika, the social media analysis firm that monitored the activity. "For the very first time, it started to get a little bit of audience interaction," Nimmo said...

The posts appear to target social media users outside of the United States, gaining traction in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Venezuela — places where Chinese and U.S. diplomatic or financial interests have increasingly come into conflict. "The overall message is: America is doing very badly. China is doing very well," Nimmo said. "Who do you want to be like?" The network used photos of Chinese celebrities on the accounts and, in one case, hijacked the verified Twitter account of a Latin American soap opera show to post messages, according to Graphika's report... "There's this cherry-picking of narratives and events that make the U.S. look really bad," Nimmo said.

Last month, YouTube announced that it had removed more than 3,000 YouTube channels in December that were identified as part of Graphika's investigation into influence campaigns linked to China. Other Facebook and Twitter accounts identified in Graphika's report were also removed.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

ArjunPandit wrote:Think of the the competitive advantage google data gives it ..
The way to break them is to make them share their data with Indian competitors, for a price, of course. This can be done under the existing MRTPA or whatver the current aenti-trust laws exist in India. We have something called The Competetive Commission of India. They can squeeze their gonads once in a while. This is what the EU does.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Vayutuvan wrote:
if not anything it creates jobs for local law experts! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Vayutuvan wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:Think of the the competitive advantage google data gives it ..
The way to break them is to make them share their data with Indian competitors, for a price, of course. This can be done under the existing MRTPA or whatver the current aenti-trust laws exist in India. We have something called The Competetive Commission of India. They can squeeze their gonads once in a while. This is what the EU does.
few years back some regulators in EU had thoughts of expanding openledger to the customer banking history and free of cost..most banks said to take a hike. UK also has a lot of intersting fintech start ups like Monzo/revolut which are in a way quite revolutionary. I prefer having a monzo account for the quality of app and offline services that it offers..after using their apps, i just couldnt get used to the slow and crashing barclays app...
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Vayutuvan wrote:
agreed..not just comapnies..the govt itself could use a lot of that data. Perhaps a better approach would be to prospectively create local apps so that their future drilling/pipelining/refining ends..
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

The first stepping stone would be data privacy, along the lines of GDPR which give teeth to collective legislation across all EU states. The way banks and other institutions treat privacy is atrocious.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:
agreed with the law part, but my point is about data/analytics even if stored in india does give you any money while the companies make huge amounts on it. One could argue that they have invested in capabilities, but its the importance of pen and paper. Think of the the competitive advantage google data gives it ..
That’s exactly why I stated that laws themselves will control when they can and cannot monetize their data . When the data and analytics are both local the government can also effectively define that all SM providers have to use publicly defined APIs to access their data and perform analytics. An SM platform that broke a written statute can no longer execute analytics or monetize them via ads for a statutory period . When this happens the site is still up but there’s a real hit to the bottom line which is what matters.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Interesting aside from my research into the freedom of expression / free speech issue -

In India, defamation, public order, morality, security are written into the constitution as limitations on the right to free speech.

As against this, the US constitution provides free speech guarantees via the First Amendment. There are no exceptions written into the first amendment. What exceptions to free speech exist (child ***** for example) have resulted from Congressional action and a reinterpretation of the first amendment by the courts.

Particular Governmental Regulations that Restrict Expression

Hamstrung as US courts have been in defining limitations on free speech given the broadly permissive wording of the First Amendment, an enabling legislation was passed for Internet services.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act
The legal protections provided by CDA 230 are unique to U.S. law...most prominent online services are based in the United States. This is in part because CDA 230 makes the U.S. a safe haven for websites that want to provide a platform for controversial or political speech and a legal environment favorable to free expression.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Isn't Section 79 of IT (governing liability of intermediaries) act our equivalent of Section 230 ?
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Indeed. Useful to contrast the two.
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

India's track record on enforcing laws against big MNCs is very poor. Even if they try, it will drag in courts for years. By that time irreversible damage would be done. So I don't have much hopes on laws and legal system helpful in this internet colonization. Needs political will and strong proactive action like in national security kind of matters.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

mukkan wrote:India's track record on enforcing laws against big MNCs is very poor. Even if they try, it will drag in courts for years. By that time irreversible damage would be done. So I don't have much hopes on laws and legal system helpful in this internet colonization. Needs political will and strong proactive action like in national security kind of matters.
nothing stops a ban under law and order or security considerations

that message went out loud and clear when the cheeni apps were banned permanently

if the courts needlessly intervene, then legislate under the ordinance route for immediate effect and make sure that everyone knows where the red lines are.

if brute majority is called for then these guys already have it, so don't look for global popularity when the enemy has already set your house on fire.

douse it quickly and then immediately set their houses alight.

Forget prithvi raj chauhan, he did not understand dharma or the consequences of being too dharmic in the face of evil & determined adharmics

facebook, twitter, google, and instagram are already on a very sticky wicket and many countries are mulling action against them.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Looks like there is now a push from GoI towards KooApp. It might take some time for it to fix out heavy traffic and bugs, but GoI seems to be promoted it.

Ministers are now joining KooApp.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ArjunPandit wrote:

Id is @ramana_brf

cant find you there.. did try finding you and others there..i am with my brf handle in hindi....
PS: changed the language settings and found !!
mine is @vijayk2000
Following ramana_brf
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

vera_k wrote:Interesting aside from my research into the freedom of expression / free speech issue -

In India, defamation, public order, morality, security are written into the constitution as limitations on the right to free speech.

As against this, the US constitution provides free speech guarantees via the First Amendment. There are no exceptions written into the first amendment. What exceptions to free speech exist (child ***** for example) have resulted from Congressional action and a reinterpretation of the first amendment by the courts.

Particular Governmental Regulations that Restrict Expression

Hamstrung as US courts have been in defining limitations on free speech given the broadly permissive wording of the First Amendment, an enabling legislation was passed for Internet services.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act
The legal protections provided by CDA 230 are unique to U.S. law...most prominent online services are based in the United States. This is in part because CDA 230 makes the U.S. a safe haven for websites that want to provide a platform for controversial or political speech and a legal environment favorable to free expression.
Thank you. We have to convert the issue of free speech to what it actually is :

1. Ad revenues cannot be gained from questionable/unverified material
2. All forwards will be limited if there is questionable/unverified material
3. Platform has to remove unverified material till either platform proves it or someone else with press credentials verify it
4. Any wanton unverified material posted as repeat offense will be charged as criminal
5. Free speech can only by first person - all "he says/she says" or hearsay material should be considered unverified material
6. Free speech can only be allowed when the identity of the person is verified by the platform
7. As much as free speech is allowed identity should be made available to law enforcement when requested.
8. When identity is proven false handles must be disabled in less than 30 mins
9. Any platform user must be able to flag unverified material
Last edited by Kaivalya on 09 Feb 2021 19:47, edited 4 times in total.