Social Media Watch Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Re: Social Media Watch Thread

Post by Sachin »

hnair wrote: Even crazy-didi has yet to try that stuff and we have seen Kerala govt do a hasty disciplining of a nasty police officer who stopped a union minister during Sabarimala fracas let alone an arrest.
Completely OT. This police officer has now learnt his lesson and conveniently and very discretely moved to his mother state's IPS cadre. Note how discrete the whole move was as even his fan boys in the police force and media did not make a BIG story of this.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

whatsapp
Quinton de Kock is my 2nd favorite South African after the guy who threw Gandhi out of the train in South Africa
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

law is what you interpret, especially in India and particularly with pegasus and imagined rockstars

कहीं पे निगाहें कहीं पे निशाना

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

A cruel twist of fate has snatched away from us a prolific and talented actor, Puneeth Rajkumar. This was no age to go. The coming generations will remember him fondly for his works and wonderful personality. Condolences to his family and admirers. Om Shanti.
via@narendramodi 4:36 pm · 29 Oct 2021

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

And that's a six!

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Reciprocity, mutualism, historicity? Bah these Hindus are getting to ask impertinent questions.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:Reciprocity, mutualism, historicity? Bah these Hindus are getting to ask impertinent questions.
we should turn it around and give it back

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

It’s not good to rename Allahabad Prayagraj but it was good to name prayagraj Allahabad.

I am not particularly in favour of escaping history through nomenclature.
And I am not even religious, but hypocrisy is odious.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

The problem is, when invaders named Allahabad, They forgot to keep Pryagraj with it.Why are you trying to create controversy where it NOT. WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE ESCAPING HISTORY? Please stop this nonsense just to sound liberal and intellectual.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:It’s not good to rename Allahabad Prayagraj but it was good to name prayagraj Allahabad.

they destroyed our identity and imposed their identity

it is not a matter of history, it is a matter of reclaiming identity
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

sanjaykumar wrote:It’s not good to rename Allahabad Prayagraj but it was good to name prayagraj Allahabad.

The unspoken underlying assumption... with which even the most "open minded" of Christians, Muslims, and Marxists agree... is that any movement away from a pre-Abrahamic cultural framework towards a more Abrahamic one *necessarily* represents a process of positive, progressive evolutionary change.

The "how" of its happening (enslavement, erasure, genocide) may be "regrettable" but the fact that it happened is always seen as desirable and even inevitable from their point of view.

Conversely ANY attempt to reverse that direction of change is seen as regressive and "on the wrong side of history".

It is to be stifled with pantomimes of compassion and empty rhetorical gestures when the people attempting reverse change are clearly powerless to effect it... Inuits, Yanomami, Kalahari Bushmen, or other such economically hapless, politically marginalized aboriginals. Put on a costume, declare some date of the calendar "XYZ aboriginal day", add a couple of relevant slurs to the Woke lexicon of verboten terms... and you've done your part as an Abrahamic "liberal".

But when attempted by those who actually might accomplish reversal on a mass scale, like Hindus, it must be opposed and stamped out by any and all means necessary.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Hey dudes, look up irony and satire in the dictionary.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

That’s exactly it Rudradev. Why do you think Muslims ran away from India?

They reckoned the reckoning was nigh.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Sanjaykumar saar, judging by how often such reasoning is utilized it's very hard these days to separate satire from serious arguments. Don't blame the other people, if I block out your username and then re-read your post, I'd be very much up in arms too :mrgreen:

Actually scratch that, in kalyug these days even the most hardcore "right-wingers" turn woke on some very weird issues. strange times
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

sanjaykumar wrote:That’s exactly it Rudradev. Why do you think Muslims ran away from India?

So you think India has no muslim left? we have more than Bakistan. Simple language. What is the point.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

rsingh wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:That’s exactly it Rudradev. Why do you think Muslims ran away from India?

So you think India has no muslim left? we have more than Bakistan. Simple language. What is the point.
The pertinent question is, If kisi ke baap ka nahi hai Bharat, toh kis ke baap ne banaya bakistan?

The more we start asking such questions the propaganda automatically falls flat on their faces.

Acc to research by Prakhar Srivastava from Captial tv, more than 90-95 % who voted for al bakistan stayed back in India. And don't forget that famous speech by Sardar Patel abt how can overnight we can be assured of these ppl allegiance.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

^^ The same words can both praise Caesar and also bury him.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

As an example, Shefali Vaidya has suggested non Islamic women dress in a burqa and consider self female genital mutilation, to express solidarity. On the face of it the sentiment cannot be faulted.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

whatsapp

Considering the public attention, Aryan Khan release is the biggest SRK hit in the last 15 years.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

That Hindi word list above is priceless and should be added to Hindi textbooks. This probably explains my failing grade in Hindi at the board exams after learning Hindi from the movies.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

^^Agreed. I got a great grade in hindi in my school exams because I used to substitute my mother tongue equivalent or the sankrit equivalent. After that I tried to remember if such word or nearby equivalent exists in Hindi or not. Most of the time it did and my Hindi paper went quite smoothly. Though I also used to watch a lot Hindi movies, which unfortunately resulted in me singing only Urdu songs thinking them as Hindi.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Yaa, and you bleddy naarthies used to make fun of southies who spoke proper Sanskritized Hindi as being old-fashioned and quaint :P.

Anybody who said "ichcha" would be corrected to use "marzi," and so on - the Urdu word was always regarded as more cool and hip.

But I got to say - I know at least one S. Indian Brahmin who looks down on Hindi as a bazaar basha, and instead went and learned Urdu (script and all) praising it as the language of poets. After that he went and learned Arabic proper. Not a crypto kind, very dharmic in other ways.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

chetak wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Reciprocity, mutualism, historicity? Bah these Hindus are getting to ask impertinent questions.
we should turn it around and give it back

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FC3hX_SUcAw ... name=large
Having learned CBSE Hindi for 10 years, I was not familiar with most of these urdu words. In the real world, my words would evoke a mild snigger from "Hindi" speakers, to the extent that a "shudh" Hindi speaker once even asked me not to speak in Hindi. Ironically, she used the word "kharab" in her description of whatever I was saying. Anyway, over time, I started using these urdu words, to the point that I had forget what I was taught and relearn the language. Bollywood* proved to be a great tool to learn from, and other Hindi speakers filled in the rest. Today, whenever I get a chance, I listen to folks like Rajnath Singh or (old speeches of) Sushma Swaraj just to hear some good Hindi. Even ABV tended to mix a lot of urdu.

* Om Prakash's complaint "tum ati-shudhh bhasha mein baat karte ho" in Chupke Chupke epitomizes this attitude.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

sudarshan wrote:Yaa, and you bleddy naarthies used to make fun of southies who spoke proper Sanskritized Hindi as being old-fashioned and quaint :P.
Indeed. It's in fact ironical that Hindi speakers expect everyone else to learn Hindi (because of the false narrative of it being the national language and whatnot), yet they themselves speak Urdu mostly. So much so that in a Sanskrit class, I found that southerners were able to grasp Sanskrit so much faster than Hindi speakers.
sudarshan wrote:Anybody who said "ichcha" would be corrected to use "marzi," and so on - the Urdu word was always regarded as more cool and hip.
And this is why I think folks up north don't get why we southies are so proud of our languages and don't like it when we are supposed to converse in Hindi in places like Chennai or Bangalore, or when GoI insists on a Hindi diwas to the exclusion of other languages - these are far more ancient and retain an Indic core, while Hindi itself is suffering from an identity crisis with half of it coming from Farsi via Urdu. So I can even argue that it's a foreign language, hence would prefer learning a far more useful (globally) foreign language called English :). As I mentioned above, pure Sanskritized Hindi is a beautiful language, and with the right enunciation can sound very mellifluous to the listener, but the split-identity it shares with Urdu acts to its detriment. And no, I don't find the urdu metre of repeating the first line of a couplet and exclaiming "wah wah" at the end of it as some sophisticated culture, it seems to be just sophistry.

Multiple movements to Sanskritize Hindi and bring it closer to other Indian languages haven't borne fruit except outside of GoI circles, so I find it hard to accord it the respect I do for other Indic langauges like Punjabi or Bengali. Of course, every language has words borrowed from others, that's how they grow, but their core does not change a lot.

My point is, Hindi needs to establish its own identity outside of Urdu, or let regional languages re-develop in the northern heartland. We just cannot accept one dominant language who is not even sure about who she is, when there are so many other beautiful languages across the length and breadth of this ancient land.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Please identify Hindustani as the lingua franca as you seem to ascribe to hindi’s Aspiration.

I can not understand shudh Hindi.
Hindustani has borrowed words from portuguese eg maize (table), to Turkish eg farq (difference). There is much Arabic and now even more English. As Southies migrate to the large northern cities and vice versa, South Indian languages will inevitably provide loan words. I’m sure it is the case in Mumbai.

I see your point though. A Telugu speaker may be at an advantage with Hindi than a panjabi speaker.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

if you scrub out the urdu/arabic influence from hindi
and sanskritize the language a bit more
no telugu/tamil/kannada/hindi speaker will have any difficulty in learning the other indic languages
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Actually there is a considerable usage of Urdu/farsi lexicon in the Telangana and even in the Andhra versions of Telugu. These everyday words are so endemic, especially in administrative lexicon, and Telugu-ised with syllables like du, mu, vu, lu etc added as suffixes that many "shuddha Telugu" speakers will be amazed by the extent of borrowed words that have replaced native Telugu words, and how most of the latter have disappeared from usage and totally forgotten.

Since these borrowed words do not lend themselves to usage in Sandhi, Samaasa, Chandassu etc. the sentences formed using them have to be dumbed down leading to an overall impoverished gammar and language over time. IMO, this is one important reason why the Telugu spoken in Telangana is so different from the one spoken in Andhra. Telangana being under the rule of Mughal vassals like the Nizams for many centuries has imbibed a lot more Urdu and farsi words, and much of the Muslim administration applied this lexicon. Coupled with low levels of literacy and hence reliance on oral traditions which are much more amenable to change, in just a few generations the language can change unrecognisably.

Andhra has by virtue of distance from the Nizam's influence and having a more rooted agrarian economy had consistent written traditions but I suspect with just 2 centuries of Nizam + British influences, popular Telugu has changed hugely. It only got worse after Independence with the prevalence of English medium schools. Anyone who spoke correct Telugu was ridiculed as a "chaandaluslu" = luddite ! Classical literature gave away to popular literature using a hybridised mish-mash vocabulary in the last 70 years resulting in the pathetic language we see tv anchors and common people speak today.

Dr. Budaraju Radhakrishna's columns on Telugu etymology and books are great to explore this subject.

What many people don't realise is impoverishment of a language is actually de-intellectualisation and de-culturisation of the people speaking it. Both phenomena feed into each other and Telugu seems to be caught (like many other "vernacular" languages) in this vicious cycle. :(
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

sanjaykumar wrote:Please identify Hindustani as the lingua franca as you seem to ascribe to hindi’s Aspiration.
For all practical purposes, today's Hindi and Hindustani have become one and the same. Yes, you are right in that Hindi by definition is the shudh (Sanskritised version) of Hindustani, but this distinction feels academic when most of the population that speaks Hindustani today calls it Hindi.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

chetak wrote:H
I am also equally sure that some three alphabet intelligence agencies have been blessing the Indian govt with their timely gyan about the movement of drugs.
I am seeing more subtle evidence of a shift; the realization that IND is the primary counterweight to CCP led China is sinking in even in the Foggiest of areas.

Once in a while even the likes of CNN are producing some +ve tone articles about the Indics.

One major reason is the semblance of spine being shown by the GOI. There is a much clearer sense of purpose in the Foreign Policy being followed. While the balancing act which IFS has played continues, the articulation of Indian Goals & Red Lines is becoming more clear both in diplo-speak and on the ground action and a willingness to build partnerships based on mutual interests is more obvious.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

No Englishman takes care to parse the linguistic patrimony of the Norman invasion from speech.

At least when commenting on topics other than eating, $hitting and phooking. In the case of these acts, Anglo Saxon is admirably suitable. Any civilised thought in English needs the Latinate vocabulary.

It may be a lack of confidence that compels the Indian to stay up nights researching etymologies.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:No Englishman takes care to parse the linguistic patrimony of the Norman invasion from speech.

At least when commenting on topics other than eating, $hitting and phooking. In the case of these acts, Anglo Saxon is admirably suitable. Any civilised thought in English needs the Latinate vocabulary.

It may be a lack of confidence that compels the Indian to stay up nights researching etymologies.
perhaps you did not get the primary thrust of the aryan invasion theory
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

sanjaykumar wrote:No Englishman takes care to parse the linguistic patrimony of the Norman invasion from speech.

We don't have to do what they do. They don't parse the patrimony of the Asian religion they adopted either. The Anglo Saxon is also not a native of the land, they are invaders who displaced the Celts. So one needs to look at the Celtic point of view, if at all.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile - while jingos debate, others use the the language..
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Indeed some southern languages use words that are closer to Sanskrit and old Hindi than current-day Hindi which has significant component of Urdu. In the list posted earlier, I did not see: ameer/rich (dhanik), gareeb/poor (nirdhan), kurbani/sacrifice (nyauchaawar), merherban/mercy-ful (kripa), kamjor/weak (nirbal), taaktwaar/strong (balwaan) etc.etc. For those wishing to read pure technical Hindi, one need go no further than DRDO's maasik praudhyogiki samachar patra (yani ki....I mean, arthaath,...DRDO's monthly technical news letter)
https://www.drdo.gov.in/prodhyogic-vishesh (enjoy).
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Is Hindi prachaar sabha still around?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Is Hindi prachaar sabha still around?
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

SriKumar wrote:Indeed some southern languages use words that are closer to Sanskrit and old Hindi than current-day Hindi which has significant component of Urdu. In the list posted earlier, I did not see: ameer/rich (dhanik), gareeb/poor (nirdhan), kurbani/sacrifice (nyauchaawar), merherban/mercy-ful (kripa), kamjor/weak (nirbal), taaktwaar/strong (balwaan) etc.etc. For those wishing to read pure technical Hindi, one need go no further than DRDO's maasik praudhyogiki samachar patra (yani ki....I mean, arthaath,...DRDO's monthly technical news letter)
https://www.drdo.gov.in/prodhyogic-vishesh (enjoy).
this

i am a telugu. unfortunately from the urduized part if AP. always found the actual sanskrit words from most of our shlokas are very similar in hindi/telugu and have nothing to do with the urdu words.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:Hey dudes, look up irony and satire in the dictionary.
I got it at first but got swayed after the first two replies!!! :((
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:^^ The same words can both praise Caesar and also bury him.
Marcus Antinius ...