Social Media Watch Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Re: Social Media Watch Thread

Post by darshan »

customer service focused use of Koo by companies and govt agencies can provide buoyancy and user base. However, that will actually require provision of effective customer service else users won't see any incentive to come and Koo.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

V_Raman wrote:I hope Koo can scale and be performant. This is not easy. If they manage it and India moves to Koo and out of whatsapp -> FB/Twitter are basicall dying companies at that point...
The GoI is smart.

They will use both Koo and twitter to communicate.

Twitter for international "greetings" and "happy birthday" type of meaningless but indispensable social and diplomatic interactions.

koo for other things like the business of the govt and communications of their programs and citizen interactions etc.

Ameriki big tech will ensure the blanking out of apps like koo and other clones in the international social media scene and try to maintain the continued primacy twitter, FB, whatsapp, instagram etc for their revenue streams and more importantly, the digital colonialism and hegemony that they seek to establish recalling the evil and bygone days like those brought about by companies like the east India company and its many clones that existed even in those days like the Dutch East India Company etc.

The ameriki govt should deregulate and break up companies like FB and twitter into smaller companies, just like they broke up monopolies like the phone giant AT&T which was forced to break into a number of local phone companies (baby bells) back in 1982.

If not, then dominant markets like India, france, australia etc will help to splinter the twitter, FB, whatsapp, instagram, google etc. markets and reduce their malevolent influence over social media channels.

The glaring examples of brexit and the US elections simply cannot be brushed under the carpet anymore. The lefties are running amok.

microsoft is working to clone whatsapp and some other popular SM apps. Microsoft Kaizala – Chat, Call & Work, Kaizala is compliant with GDPR, ISO 27001, SOC1, and HIPAA. It may well become a part of their office 365 package.

there is a churn in the social media space and big guns like microsoft which were shut out earlier are forcefully shoehorning their way in.

In the end, various sovereign govts across the world will determine the spread of uncontrolled, intrusive and racially arrogant companies like those run by jack on crack and f(ukerberg and the size of India's market makes it a very dominant player.

microsoft's satya nadela had this to say
Social media is a platform where people share their views, opinions and even news and facts and it has now become a source of consumption of such news as well. There is a need to draw the line where a post can be considered an opinion and where it turns into incitement of violence. As a result, hinging this decision on any single individual, even if it is the CEO of any of these platforms, can pose as too much of a risk.
BTW, isn't "kaizala" a marathi word, much like the ubiquitous gujarati "kem cho" and thus an apt cultural clone for "whatsapp" :mrgreen:
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Kaizala team is Indian that's why. With so many existing solutions out there, I still not sure how exactly zoom took off. Some of my investments use it for HIPPA.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/ ... t-kaizala/
Kaizala was launched as a Garage project on 22 Feb 2016. By April, it was being used by Andhra Pradesh government officials for group communication during large scale events.

Kaizala was used to effectively manage and coordinate a festival attended by 20 million people. Many government and state departments in India took notice and began using Kaizala, as did other well-known organizations in the country.

On 22 Feb 2017, exactly one year after releasing through the Garage, Satya Nadella announced the product in preview in Future Decoded event in India
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

koo can also be used in multiple Indian languages, making it apt for targeted as well as localized communication initiatives by the govt

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

PM may join soon ? Then who’s running he account PMModiIndia on Koo ?
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Suraj wrote:PM may join soon ? Then who’s running he account PMModiIndia on Koo ?
@PMModiIndia on Koo is just a random fan account. You can easily tell by the number of random accounts(123 right now) the account is following.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thanks. GoIs approach to Koo is very intelligent . By eliminating the first news mover advantage deliberately, they are undermining Twitter in a very open manner. It’s not like Twitter can demand the same thing be posted on there at the same time.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

I expect Raga to accuse Mudi kaaka of cowardice for running away from twitter as kaaka is scared to face Pappu's questioning on twitter.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

I hope Pappu gets banned on Koo :rotfl:
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Having a very annoying experience with Koo.

I joined on Feb 8th. Mobile number verification was not working so I got my OTP via email. Created my profile @indosphere, shared it with like-minded folks, then started using the app/ getting followers/ following others.

Then 3 days ago I launched the app. All of a sudden it started automatically verifying my mobile number with auto-generated OTP. Then I saw that it's created a new Koo account/handle linked to my mobile number... separate from the one I had already started using (which was linked to my email).

Now I cannot connect my original account (registered with email) to my mobile number because that is already linked to the new, automatically generated account. I tried to delete the new account and it says "your account was suspended and will be deleted in 30 days". But every time I open Koo app it keeps opening with that new, zero-follower account linked to my mobile number, which I am trying to delete! And I cannot log in to my @indosphere account at all.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

sam here, it has to upgrade software to function for overseas customers. It also needs to get on web browser.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Koo works fine in the browser for me. However I didn’t attempt to register with phone plus email, just the former. Post on the Twitter feed - they’re very responsive. There’s no point in posting technical issues here unless you’re just updating us on what you’ve done to inform them .
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

France Tells US To Keep Its Woke Politics To Itself

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

:rotfl:
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Thoughts on the Farmers’ Protest, Twitter, Koo etc
However, fact remains that social as well as mainstream media played a BIG role during that election.

And the biggest of the highs came when they banned a still sitting US President from Twitter!

How’s THAT for ‘Cancel Culture’, eh?!!

One can only imagine the mood in boardrooms of atleast a few social media giants in the immediate aftermath – they had shown Trump his place!

But ..

They had only dared to do so once it was crystal clear that he wasn’t coming back to power! They didn’t have the guts to do so when, atleast in their opinions, he was being a danger to flow of authentic information.
The ENTIRE Nation rose as one against them. The so-called ‘farmer’ protest had fallen flat under the weight of its own contradictions!

Of course, they refused to believe that and decided to march to the Parliament just about a week later!

But the ‘powers that be’ were aware that the damage had been done by the antics of the tractor guys at the Red Fort. They decided that for the movement to be salvaged, the march to the Parliament just had to succeed, no matter what the cost!

Thus they decided to bring out the ‘Big’ guns!

Rihanna Ji, Mia Ji, Greta Ji and many many more world famous ‘crusaders’ descended upon the social media talking about the poor ‘farmers’ of India. Their tears were as real as the best ‘makeover’ artists could make them to be!

But then, though they are renowned for their ‘outrage’, such folks are rarely accused of something far more sinister – That of being Intelligent!

Greta Ji soon leaked out the entire ‘cheat-sheet’, or the toolkit as she called it!

That mohtarma not only leaked out the entire plan, but also those associated with it! This international panauti resulted in atleast one FIR against a fellow ‘crusader’ in Mumbai and also forced quite a few twitter accounts to be self-deleted!
The GOI requested Twitter to take action against some usual suspects that were seeking to fan violence through disinformation. Twitter obliged them and withheld some of the big handles .. TEMPORARILY!

The moment they realized, those handles were back!

Take that GOI, their boardrooms must have echoed!

But the GOI not only took that, but also hit it out of the ground for a six, when they now demanded a thousand plus handles to be sorted out for indulging in propaganda against the Union of India!

Unsurprisingly, STILL riding their hubristic high, Twitter folks simply REFUSED to do so!

TWEETS MUST FLOW, they said,
Till such time they were mere platforms for expression of views, it was fine. But ever since Twitter, FB etc assumed the mantle of being ARBITERS of free speech, they chose to forego that immunity that comes by the virtue of being a mere platform.

To quote the late uncle of Shri Spiderman Ji here, ‘With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility’.

However, atleast a few of the social media giants simply failed to adjust to the power that they wielded over flow of information, and tried to regulate it to THEIR OWN LIKING!
Somehow, I doubt that Twitter will be as big a player in 2024 General Elections, as it is today. However, that said, Koo will always face the stigma of being a ‘Sarkari’ App. Ideally, a new app should have seen individual users endorsing it in good numbers, followed by Govt handles. Unfortunately, in case of Koo, it has been the other way round. Once again, I am NOT saying that it is by design. I am merely stating a fact.

What is ideally needed is an ecosystem which will see atleast a couple of indigenous apps competing on their own merits to be the one that will potentially become the leader in the aftermath of the demise of the current giants that rule the ecosystem.

To that end, one other app that I have been waiting for a while now is Chirrups App, who are working on a chat as well as microblog. Though nothing has been heard from them since long, I only hope they come up with something soon.
As far as Twitter goes, I see many folks anticipating a temporary ban coming their way soon. While I don’t discount this possibility, I’ll ask them as to what is more damning – A ban, or the THREAT of a ban?

One allows them to become martyrs at the alter of ‘free’ speech, while the other keeps them in liquid oxygen!

Just think about it!
Twitter Link
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

jamwal wrote:Image
:rotfl:
if you find all cars on the highway going opposite to you, you are in the wrong direction!
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

It is not like SM is being checked by only eevil yindoo gobermint against free press and democracy

https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... 2021-2?amp

Australian PM is on record saying - we are not scared of facebook :((

Here is the root cause of the problem - facebook,google,Twitter etc take the ad revenue without producing content. Few more laws that block this kind of free streams of money...things will start getting better

https://www.newsweek.com/journalists-de ... on-1569140
prasan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prasan »

Koo app works like a charm in my phone
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Well, it sure looks like the guys like f(ukerberg, jack on crack and some others of the SM owner's gang are hell bent on screwing themselves.

they seem to have mistaken pussy politicos in america to be the global norm as regards kowtowing to these billionaire owned social media kingdoms.

these owners ill treated trump and deplatformed him because they were allowed to do so by the woke left in the US which had its own axe to grind.

now, there are many other countries that are just waiting for these ameriki big tech companies to set a collision with them just like that iceberg was waiting for the titanic on that cold, dark and fateful April night in 1912.

titanic 0, iceberg 1

That result should have forewarned these big tech social media companies of what is waiting for them.

Times have changed. Sovereign nations and their national laws can and will trounce, beat out and vanquish such arrogant ameriki media giants, no matter how big.

They never expected nations to gang up on them and out flank them and do exactly what the iceberg did to the titanic, the "unsinkable" ship. :mrgreen:

Amazon may well be the next international target.

‘We will not be intimidated’: PM takes Facebook fight to India and the world

Global leaders will be asked to back Australia in a fight with Facebook over its market power after the social media giant silenced news, health and emergency services in a bid to halt a federal law.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison raised the shock tactic with Indian counterpart Narendra Modi on Thursday night in the first step of a plan to mobilise global support to stop Facebook “bullying” elected governments.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has spoken to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi about Facebook’s decision to ban news links in Australia.

The government thinks Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg will resume talks on the law despite his sudden move to shut down content for millions of his own customers, but it is also preparing for a drawn-out battle if needed.

“They may be changing the world, but that doesn’t mean they should run it,” Mr Morrison said of big tech companies on Thursday, posting his comments on Facebook.

“We will not be intimidated by this act of bullying by BigTech, seeking to pressure parliament as it votes on our important News Media Bargaining Code.

“I am in regular contact with the leaders of other nations on these issues. We simply won’t be intimidated, just as we weren’t when Amazon threatened to leave the country and when Australia drew other nations together to combat the publishing of terrorist content on social media platforms.”

Facebook on Thursday banned the sharing of news from media companies in Australia, but also removed posts from the Bureau of Meteorology, state health departments, fire and rescue services, charities, and crisis services such as Suicide Prevention Australia, 1800Respect and Break the Silence Against Domestic Violence.

The company, which has 17 million users in Australia, responded to a barrage of complaints by conceding it had blundered and promising to restore “inadvertently impacted” pages.

“Facebook’s actions to unfriend Australia today, cutting off essential information services on health and emergency services, were as arrogant as they were disappointing,” Mr Morrison said in his post.

”These actions will only confirm the concerns that an increasing number of countries are expressing about the behaviour of BigTech companies who think they are bigger than governments and that the rules should not apply to them.“

Mr Morrison took plans to regulate social media to a G20 summit in Japan and a G7 meeting in France in 2019, when the Christchurch attack in March that year sparked calls to stop the spread of violent terror content.

The Prime Minister signalled he was willing to repeat the exercise if needed this year when he attends the G7 summit hosted by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson in Cornwall in June with leaders from Canada, France, Italy, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The proposed law, which mandates a bargaining code to force Google and Facebook to pay media companies for using their content, is being watched by these countries and the European Union as a precedent in regulating social media.

Labor voted to support the bill in the House of Representatives on Wednesday night, clearing the way for it to pass the Senate and become law as early as next week.

Labor leader Anthony Albanese said Facebook’s actions were “reprehensible” but the government had a responsibility to tell Australians what the next steps would be.

Mr Morrison’s talks with Mr Modi, conducted by phone on Thursday afternoon, raised concerns about Facebook and its power when the company is seeking help from the Indian government in a huge market.

“Decisions that are made here shape the global discussion,” Mr Zuckerberg told Indian business executives in December in a pitch to expand the company’s Whatsapp business app, which has 30 per cent of its global users in India.

Australian Human Rights Commissioner Edward Santow rebuked Facebook for depriving users of public information including health and emergency updates.

“Freedom of expression includes the right to speak and to receive information,” Mr Santow wrote.

Facebook’s Australia and New Zealand managing director, William Easton, said in a blog post early on Thursday morning the decision had been made because the proposed code “fundamentally misunderstands” the relationship between the platform and publishers.

“It has left us facing a stark choice: attempt to comply with a law that ignores the realities of this relationship, or stop allowing news content on our services in Australia. With a heavy heart, we are choosing the latter,” Mr Easton wrote.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, who spoke to Mr Zuckerberg on Thursday morning, said he had been given no warning of Facebook’s decision.

“We’ll see if we can reach some clarifications and get them back to the table and keep them
providing their service here in Australia. But our commitment, our number one commitment, is to legislate this code,” Mr Frydenberg said.

Communications Minister Paul Fletcher held a video conference last week with his counterparts from France, Canada, Germany and Finland to discuss regulating social media giants.

Google threatened to exit Australia over the media code but later struck multi-million dollar deals with major Australian publishers, including Nine Entertainment Co, which publishes this masthead, for the use of their content.

Facebook was in talks with publishers in recent days but the negotiations stalled due to concerns about code’s penalties that could see the platforms fined up to 10 per cent of revenue for non-compliance.

Media publishers including Nine, News Corp and the ABC, also criticised Facebook’s decision.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

prasan wrote:Koo app works like a charm in my phone
me too ... But they have to start working with algorithm experts because that is where the power of Fckerberg and Jacksh!t is ... Koo needs more intelligent parsing of messages. I know I know ... they are just up and scaled up ... I want to destroy fckerberg and Jacksh!t ASAP
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

That's it for Rihanna the nautch girl with the pendant?

I was beginning to find her titularly titanesquely titillating.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Ideally, what kind of algos would be on the wish-list for Koo to implement? We don't want clones of the auto-blocking, auto-delete, marketing-friendly, personal-detail-hacking algos that were introduced by Marcus SugarMountainus* and Jack Dorkey, do we? Talented folks could also consider joining the Koo team and contributing time and service (for remuneration under contract of course, don't want any open-source nonsense here, where anybody can insert a hack for giggles).

Some kind of fact verification would be good. Join up with reputable media sources (there are some), and algorithmize the verification of newsy Koots (tweets). So that random posting of propaganda under the guise of facts is curbed. Allow notifications to quoted sources where possible, so those guys can protest any willful misrepresentation. Protection for personal details to be built into base code, not as afterthoughts. A wish-list is what is needed here, this is a chance to influence the evolution of these platforms when there is a receptive mood.

* Zuckerberg = Sugarmountain (German)
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

who would have thought the great woke types like Rihanna/Greta would be cut to size by the lowly Indian govt and Indian celebs!!! The entire liberal woke movement is going to be cut to size by India...
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

V_Raman wrote:who would have thought the great woke types like Rihanna/Greta would be cut to size by the lowly Indian govt and Indian celebs!!! The entire liberal woke movement is going to be cut to size by India...
Not by GOI alone but with the help from Crores of Indians on Social media who are going to expose them all Liberandus .
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Not sure how many of you use Reddit but there has been a big rise in anti BJP , anti-India content over there since the protests started , Reddit is home to a lot of impressionable young people and they're basically being spoon fed propaganda not unlike the red craze in the 1960's .

What makes Reddit especially worse is that if you have mod powers which many anti india accounts do iots far more easier than FB/Twitter/insta to simply delete a comment or ban a user who dare post a alternative view or go deeper in to the "facts" and it happends instantly as opposed to twitter which takes much longer . such posts can reach "hot" or "popular" and be seen by million of users

So what you essentially have are hundreds of anti -India posts whose comments sections are either Bernie-AOC loving leftists all high on Wapo and John oliver content or " can confirm I am Indian and my country is a ****hole " types desperate for validation and visa from the goras .and as i said anyone who dares post a rebuttal gets banned instantly

Reddit may seem to have less of an marketshare in the Indian ecosystem but in the West its among the most popular forums for teens ,young adults in the 15-30 range and the propaganda definitely changes people's perceptions about a country .
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Reddit, like Slashdot forums, are a cesspool of unmoderated garbage. The easiest way to manage it is to look for the worst of it - very easy to find - and use that as a basis to discredit the already biased India subreddits. 90% of reddit is already a pile of p00 , and that only helps.

A medium like WhatsApp is far more pervasive as far as getting out the message in India goes. The ability to use the most valuable forums is much more critical. Hopefully Sandes takes off just like Koo has.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

chetak wrote:Well, it sure looks like the guys like f(ukerberg, jack on crack and some others of the SM owner's gang are hell bent on screwing themselves.

they seem to have mistaken pussy politicos in america to be the global norm as regards kowtowing to these billionaire owned social media kingdoms.

these owners ill treated trump and deplatformed him because they were allowed to do so by the woke left in the US which had its own axe to grind.

now, there are many other countries that are just waiting for these ameriki big tech companies to set a collision with them just like that iceberg was waiting for the titanic on that cold, dark and fateful April night in 1912.

titanic 0, iceberg 1

That result should have forewarned these big tech social media companies of what is waiting for them.

Times have changed. Sovereign nations and their national laws can and will trounce, beat out and vanquish such arrogant ameriki media giants, no matter how big.

They never expected nations to gang up on them and out flank them and do exactly what the iceberg did to the titanic, the "unsinkable" ship. :mrgreen:

Amazon may well be the next international target.

‘We will not be intimidated’: PM takes Facebook fight to India and the world

Interesting that Australia, France and Japan are increasingly looking at Modi for decisiveness and leadership for the world. Dumbocrat/Woke sh1t scums have destroyed US position at the leadership table. I think zombie President is trying to destroy the entire middle east peace to help jihadi gangs in order to placate jihadi wing of his party
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Suraj wrote:Reddit, like Slashdot forums, are a cesspool of unmoderated garbage. The easiest way to manage it is to look for the worst of it - very easy to find - and use that as a basis to discredit the already biased India subreddits. 90% of reddit is already a pile of p00 , and that only helps.

A medium like WhatsApp is far more pervasive as far as getting out the message in India goes. The ability to use the most valuable forums is much more critical. Hopefully Sandes takes off just like Koo has.
India subreddit forum is run by aapiyas and closeted pakis pretending to be Indians. Daily randi rona is about how Mudi is a fascist, RSS is Nazi party and BJP is destroying the country.

The nationalist brigade should be down-voting crap in worldnews subreddit. That brings out the racist gora who like to joke and pass slimy comments on paajeets shittin on the streets, how India is rape central and how all the goras get delhi bellies, and other assorted tropes.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

What do all those details offer ? That’s all pretty much standard dynamics on most online fora. So what ? Is there more than just ‘letting it out’ angrily to vent a little and then nothing actually happens ?

There are lots of web forums where one party monopolizes the narrative and distorts the other side. There are also several cases where the other side found creative ways to tackle this. It could be legislative , or legal, or something else.

Complaining in futility that the world is against us is an attitude from the past. There’s no positive energy and motivation to be gained out of it. As KLNMurthy quoted Naipaul about this, it is one of the wounded civilization behaviors. If we are to tackle this, it’s better to recognize when such a personal response manifests itself, put aside the urge to vent and channel it into finding creative approaches to tackle the problem at large.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Suraj wrote:What do all those details offer ? That’s all pretty much standard dynamics on most online fora. So what ? Is there more than just ‘letting it out’ angrily to vent a little and then nothing actually happens ?

Because unlike most corners of the internet reddit has a massive audience of impressionable younger people and a platform whose UI and policies can allow for very easy astroturfing and narrative building ...The recent Gamestop frenzy is a good example of the kind of power it can wield. The amount of propaganda you can do with one subreddit especially one of the bigger ones dwarfs what one twitter account or Instagram page can manage,

WhatsApp has a wide audience but a lot of the youth has already turned off it and the reliability of the stuff shared on it is a well known joke for everybody... Now older people still might get more influenced on there but for the newer generation it's platforms like Reddit and Instagram which are the hotbeds of propaganda.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vijayk wrote:
Interesting that Australia, France and Japan are increasingly looking at Modi for decisiveness and leadership for the world. Dumbocrat/Woke sh1t scums have destroyed US position at the leadership table. I think zombie President is trying to destroy the entire middle east peace to help jihadi gangs in order to placate jihadi wing of his party
this is what the padre/commie NGOs with their heads buried in some offshore and foreign headquartered butt are capable of doing.

it looks like some local industry lobbies are fighting back.

This was not the case earlier as gora FFNGOs were considered sacrosanct in their environmentalist pronouncements and the last word in "manufactured" public policy.

we have created local hydra headed monsters like the NGT run by retired "judges" who have no clue at all about the environment as seen from their outlandish and bizarre verdicts

ye log kisi janam ki khunnas nikal rahe hain

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Woke geniuses of Twitter are now censoring and flagging tweets by Indian PM. This one is not even "sensitive" by any stretch of imagination for anyone.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

^^This is a direct attack on India's most important political office by the social media. If they can censor our prime minister on such a tweet, then they can do a lot more. Maybe he is the next target for deplatforming. Modiji should reply by migrating to koo and start tightening the noose around Twitter.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

This is a golden opportunity to file a PILs to derecognise Twitter as an intermediary and make it liable for all content censorship decisions it takes. Sometimes, we should take a leaf out of the leftist playbook.

The wider issue should be also used to attach labels: pro-pollution, pro stubble burning, pro water table shrinking environmental activists, hypo-Greta Tool-berg, (for anti-CAA) pro-genocide, etc. You never know what will stick. Someday, it will become a meme.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

srin wrote:This is a golden opportunity to file a PILs to derecognise Twitter as an intermediary and make it liable for all content censorship decisions it takes. Sometimes, we should take a leaf out of the leftist playbook.

The wider issue should be also used to attach labels: pro-pollution, pro stubble burning, pro water table shrinking environmental activists, hypo-Greta Tool-berg, (for anti-CAA) pro-genocide, etc. You never know what will stick. Someday, it will become a meme.

+1 Here is canada joining the "Hold SM accountable"
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-aust ... SKBN2AI349

This will atleast differentiate published/quasi checked/paid content to rabblerousing content when it becomes law in different parts of the world

This goes towards stopping blind forwards...and starting to starve the SM beast
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

AkshaySG wrote: Because unlike most corners of the internet reddit has a massive audience of impressionable younger people and a platform whose UI and policies can allow for very easy astroturfing and narrative building ...The recent Gamestop frenzy is a good example of the kind of power it can wield. The amount of propaganda you can do with one subreddit especially one of the bigger ones dwarfs what one twitter account or Instagram page can manage,
:rotfl: Ive been on WSB for a long time. I saw the whole GME thing go down first hand. Made some $$ off it too. Sorry, the whole thing was just a nicely tailored short squeeze later crushed by big money. Fundamentally WSB is just another cesspool on the internet. The language and behavior of its members itself stops it from being any major source of propaganda. They’re so racist, sexist, insert_something-ist that not being anti-Indian would be a surprise .

If you want to take them down, tar and feather them with everything they say. One can snipe on them - find what the same redditor says elsewhere, report and publicize it, get them banned, turn them on each other, sow enmity between them... this is 2021. India isn’t a weak little basket case that exports communicable diseases. You guys gonna sit around navel gazing about big bad Reddit ? Same Reddit whose ringleader was sued for market manipulation yesterday ?

All this detail about their proper-g*ndu is useless. There’s nothing new in what you’re saying. Belaboring the point about them is a waste. They were so busy fighting each other on WSB, that it’s easy to go in and use your own sock puppet accounts to play them against each other. The woke+Islamist folks have so many contradictions between them. It’s quite easy to emphasize something one likes but the other hates, and make them fight each other.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Suraj wrote:
All this detail about their proper-g*ndu is useless. There’s nothing new in what you’re saying. Belaboring the point about them is a waste.
The woke+Islamist folks have so many contradictions between them. It’s quite easy to emphasize something one likes but the other hates, and make them fight each other.
This is an important point.

Are you confident in Hindu Dharma? If so, let Adharmic trolls say whatever they want insulting Sita Ma, Ganesh ji, Shivaji Maharaj or whomever. Ignore it completely. All the karmaphal is on them, not us. Water off a duck's back.

Are you confident in GOI's policies? If so, let Adharmic trolls say anything they want about Kashmir, CAA, Khalistan, Minorities in India, Farm-Lobby Protests. Ignore it completely. Nothing you say on there is going to change any minds, and your defensiveness is only going to let the enemy set the terms of the exchange.

In all cases, have faith that the positive messaging around this is being crafted by others (Youtubers, News Portals, etc.) in the detail required to explain it properly. YOU don't have to go in and try to "correct" the misinformation.

If you have the inclination and time to hang around places like Reddit, focus on one thing. Attack, attack, attack. Don't waste time, energy or words defending or explaining or (worst of all) expressing outrage-- which only lets the trolls know they have won. Just have your offensive talking points in order and keep blasting away with them. Derail threads, use whatabout-ism, distract the enemy, steer the conversation towards your talking points, and then keep firing. If you can do this in a way that makes the Leftists and Islamists fight each other, as Suraj suggests, that is the best outcome of all. If your posts get deleted, make more posts. If you get banned, create another handle and do it again.

I personally do not visit these venues, but if you must, constantly going on the attack is probably the best use of your time. It is certainly better than taking seriously and worrying about what you read over there.

Meanwhile if you want to contribute to the positive messaging aspects of the battle, the best thing to do is give your money to support Swarajya, OpIndia, Sham Sharma, Upword, Carvaka Podcast, String Reveals etc. who put together well-researched content explaining our point of view in detail. And when you watch any of these pro-India channels on YouTube, or even Republic TV streaming online-- watch the entire ads that are shown in the beginning and intermittently during the programs. Let the ad play completely every time (instead of "skipping"). In this way you are supporting them financially even without paying from your pocket.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Rudradev wrote:If you have the inclination and time to hang around places like Reddit, focus on one thing. Attack, attack, attack.
Exactly. On the internet, one will encounter broadly two kinds of people with respect to India:

1. Clueless but holding strong opinions regardless.

Their approach reveals their intellectual capability. As the saying goes, the wise are always in doubt because they're aware of the limits of their knowledge, while the fools are supremely confident.

One does not carefully explain details to this group. One discredits them. When they try to set the agenda and control the direction, one openly mocks their authority to do that. Post the 'respect mah authority' South Park meme if you like.

Sometimes among these are folks genuinely interested in learning, who after being chastised in this manner will be more humble and polite, and wish to learn. You can educate this group. You cannot educate the rest, and should not try. One does not patiently educate bullies, because as they say, one cannot wake up someone pretending to sleep.

The main problem here is that Indians are too intent to play fairly and try to educate a bully. One has to learn to scheme, mock, play one against the other, and more . These are tools of the game. Those are not a united enemy ranged against us. They're a bunch of people who , left to themselves, would be more intent on beating each other up. The goal is simply to motivate and channelize their energies towards that happy path.

But whatever you do, don't waste time here complaining about Reddit. There are lots of bad cesspools on the internet. Most of us know that.

2. Those who are intelligent and demonstrate their humility regarding the bounds of their knowledge early, seeking to learn

These are the folks one can have a natural intellectual discourse with. They may not agree with you, but they're respectful and want to learn. I had an old friend, a northeastern white guy, very Christian, but wears it lightly. He wanted to understand India and Hinduism, and in turn typically used C S Lewis to talk about his faith. We didn't have to agree with each other, and certainly weren't trying to convert one another, but walked away with better understanding of each other's viewpoints.
mukkan
BRFite

Post by mukkan »

Twitter stats are interesting.  Twitter has only around 17M active users in India, not sure how many are real. Top 10 twitter Indian handles with most followers have 65M to 27M.  Number of fake followers may be close to 50% for some of them. Twitter follower and user numbers are hard to believe. They may be inflating these numbers (not just for India). 

https://www.socialbakers.com/statistics ... iles/india

Cost of maintaining Twitter. Twitter spends around 500M/year for engineering salaries excluding stock compensation cost. 
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

‘Hinduist’ and Navbharat Times: How a Google translate algorithm is inventing a new word that can aid Hinduphobia
https://www.opindia.com/2021/02/google- ... rally-rss/
As it turns out, the actual NBT report was written in Hindi. In Hindi, the report uses the word ‘Hinduvadi’. When one uses Google Translate, the word ‘Hinduvadi’ is translated into ‘Hinduist’.