Social Media Watch Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Re: Social Media Watch Thread

Post by Tanaji »

This US propaganda is all pervasive. Why am I getting “How you can help Ukraine” articles in my Linked In feed of all places? Have never even looked up Ukraine on the work laptop..
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

All Google + Facebook bade bhai divya drishti cookie maya jaal love onree saar...
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

On that note, just imagine what our views about Russia-Ukraine-NATO (as expressed on this forum) must have exposed us NRI/PIOs to in terms of surveillance from our respective government agencies. Cheers!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Well said Rudradev-ji.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Dharmo rakshati rakshitha !
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Cross posting from the Eastern Europe/ Ukraine dhaga:
Baikul wrote:If there’s one thing you do today while online, may I please request you to watch this video? It’s only 12 minutes long but it brilliantly encapsulates (giving examples) how Russia is losing the SM war. And later in the video how in Russia’s own SM was initially taken in.

Compelling viewing. Needs to be shared and reshared.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98cXig0hOVw

It explodes key Western and Ukranian myths and memes point by point. Kim Iverson/ The Hill.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

When all powerful rich Joe Unkil is on your side why do you need other poor countries to support you… already campaigns for relief funding NGOs are in full swing across all channels… all the directors need their pay too , first there was COVID now this , plus all Ukr are TFTA so more moolah needed to sustain their lifestyle
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Another evacuated student going off against the government.

https://twitter.com/ankitakashyapp_/sta ... 1DnyA&s=09

These folks have little to no sense of geopolitics, no sense of the decisions a country has to make for its own interests and their only information comes from what their friends and favorite "comedians" are posting on Instagram and Facebook.

The kind of people who will put a "Pray for Paris" picture after an attack but not give two hoots about what's happening in India
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The Americans are going nuts with political censorship.

We have been under attack for some time from US establishment tools. But that was an effort to excercise control over India.

What's on the horizon is much much frightening then anything we have seen in the past. It's no longer going to be about excercising control. It will be about excercising domination. You either submit our we will destroy you.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

x posted from the political thread

WA gyan: UP elections
draw your own conclusions

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

EXCLUSIVE Facebook temporarily allows posts on Ukraine war calling for violence against invading Russians or Putin's death
Meta Platforms (FB.O) will allow Facebook and Instagram users in some countries to call for violence against Russians and Russian soldiers in the context of the Ukraine invasion, according to internal emails seen by Reuters on Thursday, in a temporary change to its hate speech policy.

The social media company is also temporarily allowing some posts that call for death to Russian President Vladimir Putin or Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko in countries including Russia, Ukraine and Poland, according to a series of internal emails to its content moderators.
"As a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine we have temporarily made allowances for forms of political expression that would normally violate our rules like violent speech such as 'death to the Russian invaders.' We still won’t allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians," a Meta spokesperson said in a statement.

The calls for the leaders' deaths will be allowed unless they contain other targets or have two indicators of credibility, such as the location or method, one email said, in a recent change to the company's rules on violence and incitement.
The temporary policy changes on calls for violence to Russian soldiers apply to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine, according to one email.
Emails also showed that Meta would allow praise of the right-wing Azov battalion, which is normally prohibited, in a change first reported by The Intercept.

Meta spokesman Joe Osborne previously said the company was "for the time being, making a narrow exception for praise of the Azov Regiment strictly in the context of defending Ukraine, or in their role as part of the Ukraine National Guard."
eastasia, eurasia etc.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

^^ Warning that US completely weponized SM platforms.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The mudras depicted on some Indian coins are inspired from the mudras used in Bharatnatyam.

They include Mushti (fist) on 50 paise, Shikhara (mountain peak) on 1 Rupee, and Kartari Mukha (two fingers) on 2 Rupees coins.

vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ricky_v wrote:EXCLUSIVE Facebook temporarily allows posts on Ukraine war calling for violence against invading Russians or Putin's death
Meta Platforms (FB.O) will allow Facebook and Instagram users in some countries to call for violence against Russians and Russian soldiers in the context of the Ukraine invasion, according to internal emails seen by Reuters on Thursday, in a temporary change to its hate speech policy.

The social media company is also temporarily allowing some posts that call for death to Russian President Vladimir Putin or Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko in countries including Russia, Ukraine and Poland, according to a series of internal emails to its content moderators.
"As a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine we have temporarily made allowances for forms of political expression that would normally violate our rules like violent speech such as 'death to the Russian invaders.' We still won’t allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians," a Meta spokesperson said in a statement.

The calls for the leaders' deaths will be allowed unless they contain other targets or have two indicators of credibility, such as the location or method, one email said, in a recent change to the company's rules on violence and incitement.
The temporary policy changes on calls for violence to Russian soldiers apply to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine, according to one email.
Emails also showed that Meta would allow praise of the right-wing Azov battalion, which is normally prohibited, in a change first reported by The Intercept.

Meta spokesman Joe Osborne previously said the company was "for the time being, making a narrow exception for praise of the Azov Regiment strictly in the context of defending Ukraine, or in their role as part of the Ukraine National Guard."
eastasia, eurasia etc.
I want India to use a judge to ban FaceBook until this violence decision is reversed. Same way use power against twitter.

Even threaten whatsapp.

I don't know why we are afraid to use the power
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SP is far from dead. They remain a dangerous opposition with actual strategic gains made in this election. Further consolidation into bipolar politics will only strengthen them.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Yogi will send bulldozers after them. He can decimate SP and put most of their leaders in jail for years 100% legally.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Cyrano wrote:Yogi will send bulldozers after them. He can decimate SP and put most of their leaders in jail for years 100% legally.
Saar, Govts both at centre and state needs to come up with strong affirmative actions and policies which will positively help dharmic and Indic people.

These kagaz nahi dikhayege gangs needs to put into their place before 2024 rolls in.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Partitranaya sadhunaam and vinashayacha dushkrutaam will happen in parallel. I wouldn't worry too much right now.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I suppose given the context, ED stands for erectile dysfunction.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

ritesh wrote:
Cyrano wrote:Yogi will send bulldozers after them. He can decimate SP and put most of their leaders in jail for years 100% legally.
Saar, Govts both at centre and state needs to come up with strong affirmative actions and policies which will positively help dharmic and Indic people.

These kagaz nahi dikhayege gangs needs to put into their place before 2024 rolls in.
100% .. cut the minority scams still in place, improve affirmative action, law&order and control mafia gangs.
I sometimes feel now that benefits are reaching a lot of converted traibals/Dalit, can VHP/RSS reach out for reversal quietly?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar wrote:I suppose given the context, ED stands for erectile dysfunction.
the perpetual and age old cultural and civilizational deficiencies

afraid to strike, afraid to wound

only option left is forgive, forget, and appease.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I see your point. I was commenting on certain effects induced by Ms Ayub’s picture.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

There are food dalals like $!nghv! who try to show themselves off as food connoisseurs par excellence, but in actual fact, specialize only in minting money by promoting hotels, restaurants, chefs, and some shady brands.

suhel seth has hit the nail on the head

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

best handouts for marriage evenings

sufficient space to keep a drink as well.

The idea is practical and it certainly can be implemented more innovatively to make it socially and culturally innocuous as well

As a kid, I remember going to many restaurants in various cities in India which provided such an option for customers/families who preferred to dine kerbside in the privacy of their own cars

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

On the side notes is there any collection of RK Laxmans cartoons? Hard copy is a keeper
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

rsingh wrote:On the side notes is there any collection of RK Laxmans cartoons? Hard copy is a keeper
Quite a few actually in 'book' format...

Here is one as an example, on Amazon - Brushing Up the Years: A Cartoonist's History of India, 1947 to the Present

I actually have a lot in digital format - in a wall paper format on my desktop PC.

Always a fun moment when one of the masters toon becomes the wallpaper..amidst the other 'nature' type wallpapers :)
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Danke
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Privacy washing is when companies use marketing and PR that implies that they are protecting your privacy, but aren't actually taking action. Facebook did this after they were heavily criticized for their involvement with the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Privacy washing allows companies to avoid regulation and legal action because it actually changes public opinion. If people fail to read into these changes, they will accept the changes as meaningful. Unfortunately, "NEW Privacy Features" from companies like Facebook typically update the privacy policy or Profile privacy protection, but they fail to do anything to address privacy advocates' concerns.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

If anyone is in need to get enraged and increase BP, follow this lady (Ayesha Ray) on Twitter...I have posted about her a few times on BRF. In this paricular tweet, she is hoping for invasion of India by Chinese...I mean she is OK for ensuring Indian causalities just to prove her point and the worst, I believe she is still an Indian citizen with American GC (in her previous tweets she says many times that she will take up USC if current govt. continues or something like that)...
https://twitter.com/DrAyeshaRay/status/ ... ia5-cpAAAA
Dr. Ayesha Ray
@DrAyeshaRay
I can’t wait for the day China walks into Indian territory and Russia keeps quiet. In the 1962 war that led to India’s humiliating defeat by China, guess which nation was “neutral”? Russia.

Neutrality bites. In the ass. Hard.
I am surprised that even on a liberal forum like TBHP, there is considerable recognition & opposition to Western hegemony and duplicity...many members who early on consumed & believed Western propaganda are now slowly realising the picture they are painting isn't entirely accurate.

One good thing to come out of Trump's tenure is the exposure of hypocrisy & biases of Western media especially publications like Times, NYT, BBC etc. and during the current conflict, total endorsement of Western media in Ukrainian propaganda and publishing the same without even bothering to fact checking is serving as another massive wake-up call for people in non-West and people are calling them out at least on SM.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Zynda wrote:If anyone is in need to get enraged and increase BP, follow this lady (Ayesha Ray) on Twitter...I have posted about her a few times on BRF. In this paricular tweet, she is hoping for invasion of India by Chinese...I mean she is OK for ensuring Indian causalities just to prove her point and the worst, I believe she is still an Indian citizen with American GC (in her previous tweets she says many times that she will take up USC if current govt. continues or something like that)...
https://twitter.com/DrAyeshaRay/status/ ... ia5-cpAAAA
Dr. Ayesha Ray
@DrAyeshaRay
I can’t wait for the day China walks into Indian territory and Russia keeps quiet. In the 1962 war that led to India’s humiliating defeat by China, guess which nation was “neutral”? Russia.

Neutrality bites. In the ass. Hard.
I am surprised that even on a liberal forum like TBHP, there is considerable recognition & opposition to Western hegemony and duplicity...many members who early on consumed & believed Western propaganda are now slowly realising the picture they are painting isn't entirely accurate.

One good thing to come out of Trump's tenure is the exposure of hypocrisy & biases of Western media especially publications like Times, NYT, BBC etc. and during the current conflict, total endorsement of Western media in Ukrainian propaganda and publishing the same without even bothering to fact checking is serving as another massive wake-up call for people in non-West and people are calling them out at least on SM.
She is the daughter of a famous IA, general. Her privilege made her an ingrate and an idiot. GOI should ideally ensure such clowns are on a no travel to India list.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

^^I get the feeling that GoI probably feels that people like above are kids who have been misguided...sort of blind love parents have for kids...unwilling to use danda when required. In recent times, this love has been revoked for a few non-Indian citizens who have been on really naughty list...a small positive step I suppose!
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^ It would also be behavior to be expected from double agents.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vera_k wrote:^ It would also be behavior to be expected from double agents.

she's bucking for her green card

nothing can be done to block her entry to India as she is still a citizen

but there will come a day............when she will regret it pie la mode @@$i$h t@$eer
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

WION's YT channel has been suspended for 7 days since they aired Russian FM's speech following Ukr FM's speech. What is further irritating is that both France24 & DW aired Russian FM's speech and no such actions have been taken against them. Yet another reminder of convenient discrimination of Western platforms...FOE and all is good till the message aligns with Western narratives. I hope Wion has complained to IB Ministry and I hope the ministry grows a pair and takes some action against Google...banning YT perhaps would not be the solution but impose a really hefty fine...if Google/YT wants to continue operations in India, they will comply with fines.