Social Media Watch Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Re: Social Media Watch Thread

Post by IndraD »

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ge ... ce=twitter

germany: will sanction & block twitter cos press freedom is at risk (and we will define what press freedom is)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Twitter is agog with many zingers between Law minister Kirren Rijju, CJI DYC, and bystanders like SuSwa and Zero Sibbal.
Later two are siding with CJI.

This itself tells the Govt is on right path to bring down the unconstitutional and illegal Collegium.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:Twitter is agog with many zingers between Law minister Kirren Rijju, CJI DYC, and bystanders like SuSwa and Zero Sibbal.
Later two are siding with CJI.

This itself tells the Govt is on right path to bring down the unconstitutional and illegal Collegium.
the congis and the TMC are siding with the collegium guys.

enemy of my enemy.......
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The reality of Indian politics is power. Without it doesn't matter how many Lilliputs gather.

It's only NaMo that allows them to tie him just like Hanuman let Indrajit tie him up to see Ravana!!!
Await Lanka dahan!!!
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Looks like Twitter is saying bye, bye to Musk. He is running a poll if should step down as Head of twitter. Right now the poll is 53 for yes and 47 for no. Over 8 million voted. Can he use bots to turn that around?

PS: But, he can be a janitor at Twitter and still control Twitter.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

In my circle, there are quite a few older NRIs who are virulently anti-Musk and have an inordinate interest in a private company that he bought at full price despite it having so many bogus accounts.
In a real estate deal, the buyer has the right to request an appraisal. Here the trio of Jack, Parag, and Vijaya managed to get a full price without appraisal and knowledge of snakes in the legal dept. And that turd Roth.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ramana wrote:In my circle, there are quite a few older NRIs who are virulently anti-Musk...
Ramana - FWIW to be honest, in my circle (includes lot of older and younger NRI's, scientists/engineers from India and US,) virtually 100% have as much contempt for Musk as say Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, or Imran Khan. No exaggeration. (Yes I understand there are groupies but none in my circle.)
For obvious reasons I am not going to post more here but allow me to post a recent article from prestigious Nature magazine which almost never comments on social media... -- some may find it's interesting..:)
Twitter changed science — what happens now it’s in turmoil?
(The microblogging platform has transformed research communication, but its future is in doubt)

Regards.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

" In reply to Bergstrom’s farewell, Trish Greenhalgh, a health scientist at the University of Oxford, UK, argued that people like him are still needed, and that she feels duty-bound to carry on: “We can and must stick around and post sensible scientific tweets. I’m staying.”

I agree with this sentiment.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The release of a series of Twitter files is showing how Twitter management was working to suppress ideas and thoughts under the rubric of FBI direction.
Almost every so-called conspiracy theory is coming true.
Reminds us of how in the UPA years, we used to label lateral thinking as a Conspiracy Theory.
Eg Sadhvi Pragya and Col Purohit.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Most people don’t appreciate the significance of the point Matt was making:

*Every* social media company is engaged in heavy censorship, with significant involvement of and, at times, explicit direction of the government.

Google frequently makes links disappear, for example. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/160 ... XH0fz9n0Iw
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Censorship is a somewhat crude term.

Media sets the agenda. The Guardian recently published a piece on Hindi “imposition” without any reference to current events in India. It was hardly gratuitous.

Not one report on all the Hindu women being murdered by Abrahamics. Not one piece on the carnal depravity of church leaders in India.

This pattern of commentary is not gratuitous. There is nothing accidental about it.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sanjay, Social media is more than media.
Col. Trevor Dupuy wrote a book Future Wars in 1992.
Two of the episode are about media influencing policymakers
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Of course Ramana, media sets the agenda for the masses. Someone else sets the agenda for the media.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

@TrueIndology is back

True Indology@TrueIndology·2h

In April 2019, my handle was suspended.

Today, twitter sent me a mail acknowledging that my suspension was a mistake. They have reinstated my account.

I am glad to be back. I thank all my suppoters and well wishers for their constant encouragement and support.

सत्यमेव जयते
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Slight off topic: what is the name of that famous Indian youtuber that does news podcasts in hindi and looks like Johnny Depo? A while back he had gotten into a tiff with the Supreme court as well…
morem
BRFite

Post by morem »

Tanaji wrote:Slight off topic: what is the name of that famous Indian youtuber that does news podcasts in hindi and looks like Johnny Depo? A while back he had gotten into a tiff with the Supreme court as well…
Ajeet Bharati
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Yes!! Thanks morem
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The 13th Shri P.A. Ramakrishnan Memorial Lecture

"HINDU DHARMA AND CULTURE WARS" by Dr. Koenraad Elst (Indic History Researcher) to be held on 8th Jan 2023 (Sunday), 6.00 P.M. at C.P.R. Convention Centre, Chennai.

Requesting all to kindly attend the thought provoking lecture
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

WA

Well, Air India DID want to be the Number One airline.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

:rotfl:
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

long article on how twitter was used to spread propaganda to enforce lockdowns etc on covid, these bot handles were given blue tick and they claimed to be ER doctors from US witnessing carnage of covid (trans as well) they have vanished ...they were bots!!
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I have been getting these ridiculous Panjab propaganda Youtube shorts showing IQ 70 religious fanatics from the 18th century. How does one stop this tiresome social media feed?

I click on videos of thought leaders in India apart from some science/China news, and now I'm getting this rubbish. The youtube algorithm has developed a low opinion of me.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Elon fires many more censorship czars from twitter

Twitter has fired at least a dozen employees responsible for handling “misinformation policy, global appeals and state media” at its Dublin and Singapore offices, Bloomberg reported on Saturday, citing people familiar with the matter. It's the latest in a series of radical reforms conducted by the social media platform's new CEO, Elon Musk.

Twitter’s head of Trust and Safety, Ella Irwin, told the publication that in order to “consolidate teams,” the company eliminated duplicate positions and jobs with insufficient workload to justify their existence. Friday's cuts reportedly affected the head of site integrity for Twitter’s Asia-Pacific region, Nur Azhar Bin Ayob, and senior director of revenue policy, Analuisa Dominguez, while others asked not to be identified.

In a separate statement to Reuters, Irwin admitted some fresh cuts in her department, but said the company still has “thousands of people” responsible for content moderation and has “not made cuts to the teams that do that work daily.”
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote: ... and now I'm getting this rubbish. The youtube algorithm has developed a low opinion of me.
I heard this somewhere else too. Not about Punjab but some other international stuff. YouTube has reset the parameters of their algorithms so to maximize monetization of all the junk that gets uploaded there. IOW, they relaxed the constraints on the algorithms.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

That may explain it. Hopefully I can train the algorithm by skipping or disliking stuff.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

If you click on the 3 vertical dots, you get the options "not interested" and "do not recommend this channel".
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Thanks
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

The amount of FB reels content in Tamil is simply astounding covering the following: anti-Hindu, anti-Brahmin, anti-EWS, anti-Modi, pro-reservation-in-private-sector, evangelical-Halleluah, pro-rationalism, radical-dravidianism. FB AI keeps pushing me the above content even if I indicate "see-less".
venkat_kv
BRFite

Post by venkat_kv »

Vayutuvan wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote: ... and now I'm getting this rubbish. The youtube algorithm has developed a low opinion of me.
I heard this somewhere else too. Not about Punjab but some other international stuff. YouTube has reset the parameters of their algorithms so to maximize monetization of all the junk that gets uploaded there. IOW, they relaxed the constraints on the algorithms.
That would explain quite a few things Vayutuvan Saar. About a year ago when i used to see Jaipur dialogues or Aapka Akhbar of Pradeep Singh, i would mostly get recommendations from other indic leaning ones like String, Defensive offense, Sab loktantra and other channels. There would be an odd Dhruv rathee recommendation (especially like the rafale video of his in the run up to 2019 elections) or the deshbakth Akash banerjee.

But now the whole algorithm seems to be scrambled. getting a lot of AAP, Satya Hindi, News 24 or many other nameless influencers pimping Raga's Bharat Jodo yatra and mostly secular stuff these days than before.
morem
BRFite

Post by morem »

I typically click on the 'Don't recommend channel' link and it never comes up again.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

venkat_kv wrote:...getting a lot of AAP, Satya Hindi, News 24 or many other nameless influencers pimping Raga's Bharat Jodo yatra and mostly secular stuff these days than before.
Oh man, do they generate junk in huge volumes - these AAApia Congis, and their ilk.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Now do “halal”.

@hoopoe_is_here·16 Jan

All these "pure veg" signs across food outlets are offensive and un-inclusive. Blatantly implying that other food preferences are "impure" and legitimizing the discrimination against people with diverse preferences
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Donald Trump is reportedly preparing to come back to Twitter and Facebook after being reinstated.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Perspicacious Chetak. I missed that angle.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »