2021 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: 2021 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

Post by Karan M »

Pratyush precisely. There are two aspects here.

One is the Central Govt. Another the State Govt. The average citizens interaction with his administration happens at the state. It is here the maximum change needs to happen even in BJP ruled states. Let's not even go into the level of sloth and inefficiency most states have accumulated at the lower administrative levels. This has been worsened by the influx of political leaders from other parties. They neither care about the RSS type honest service idealogy nor do they care about the PM. I hope after a third term, BJP/RSS take stock and weed many of these opportunists out because their "services" will no longer be required. They've merely aligned themselves to the winning side and will reduce public trust.

At the Central Level due to the constant management by Modi and Co, we've seen a lot of positive changes. But all the planning and focus comes to naught when the execution at the state level fails if the Govt isn't in charge or law and order is slacking.

Anyways today, Gati Shakti is to be announced which is to ensure a lot of the bureaucracy file notations stuff / lack of transparency stuff is to be addressed.

But the point about idealogical issues remains.

The BJP/RSS take hits because a Marxist type mindset is still shown as in the recent Caravan appointment or random circulars etc. No amount of focus on administrative competence can address that aspect. It's idealogical and that's something this GOI has to look at next.

And the fact that supporters reach out and express their ire via social media and the Govt acts on it, is a net positive. This ensures to a high degree the Govt will not suffer from a challenge of taking its supporters for granted and miss the pulse beyond what pollsters alone are saying.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

In respect of the Baboons, there is always this feeling that BJP do not know how to "manage" them. Power and fear are the two tools of state craft ( not my words) and BJP does not use its power and does not inspire any fear in the baboons ( and rest of the people including BIF).

If any thing, they are simply too democratic.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

Pratyush wrote:PS: I will share one anecdote that was shared with me. The babudom used to have proper meetings with proper chai and biscuits discussing, if an officer on deputation from a parallel service had the functional equivalence to even see a particular file or not. So I am not particularly enthusiastic about lateral entry into babucracy of Pvt sector experts.

But still it is a positive development.
Lateral entries are not the entirety of the new plans, but they have caught more headlines than the much bigger internal churn in the IAS.

Having a long line of babus in the family, very few of whom retired below the pay grade of a union Secretary, one can talk about the IAS internal workings in long detail. It is not the picture that some posters in the thread paint.

The IAS used to take its importance very seriously to the point they thought NaMo would be a zero without their support.

Now IAS are systematically reduced to the minority in high-level positions. It is much more difficult for IAS folks to get empanelled and then actually posted these days, since many posts have gone to other services or lateral entries, or just been kept vacant. These are not just statistics, it creates all sorts of logistical "headaches" for the IAS-wallah with their housing, perks, etc. If they are lucky, they can use political connections in their home-cadre state and get posts there with equivalent pay and perks. All this "running around" is a hallmark of what happens when you tangle with Modi.

The NaMo sarkar plans are working - shape up or be shipped out is the mantra in the IAS. The people who have shaped up (or were already competent) don't get featured much, but people are quick to conjure up "analysis" when laggards feature in the news. In reality, the IAS is now another example of a colonial-inherited institution being cut down to size (literally and otherwise) by NaMo and being shaped into a more useful form.

That's the big picture. Daily details/anecdotes - of which there are many regarding everyone from senior babus to state ministers to NaMo himself - are great fun but less relevant.
prasan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prasan »

I hope there is hire and fire policy for non performing lateral entries after giving them full autonomy to function.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

By the way, Cyrano ji, since you are a powerful enough individual to be invited to a dinner where MP Tharoor was present, is it possible that you can give all of us an insight into why you say he is very accessible? Had you been like commoners, i.e. "cattle class" like yours truly, would you have had the same access?
I'm not powerful by any definition of the term saar. The occasion I referred to was in Thiruvanathapuram, Tharoor was invited to be the guest of honour for the event being the sitting MP, by the company we were partnering with whose local exec nurtured some political ambitions I'm told. For any business or public leader such a business event is easy territory, as no one is raising slogans or uncomfortable questions. Tharoor was a diligent guest, he prepared his speech in advance as evidenced by the notes he was carrying, spoke relevantly without referring to them. Not at all surprising given his long stints at UN all the way up to Under Secy General. Over the ensuing lunch, he was easy to engage a conversation with, he is obviously well read and can make a witty remark or two, but he also asked sensible questions and was inclined to listen and understand. The contrast with a (very) few other politicians I met in similar occasions was clear. Where Tharoor was affable and curious, I've seen some others who arrived with huge retinue, were primarily concerned with being well received with adequate ceremony, garlands, photos, how well their praises were sung; and their speeches were more about self-aggrandisement and little to do with the occasion. Would Tharoor be different with people in a different setting? I don't know.

His framework is set in a certain Stephens-oxbridge way, and new generation Indic framework thinkers are able to challenge him comprehensively and there would be few takes for his line or his latest book today. There is a vast gap between being a jolly good fellow and being a well rooted, inspirational, dharmic leader. I don't think Tharoor can ever bridge it.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Ambar wrote:There are thousands of such appointments everyday and it is not an important enough appointment that the cabinet minister for I&B would review and approve. Remember, the bureaucrats at every level of the government are still a part of the old ecosystem, so they will appoint there own.
Which is why a purge should have been done right away. Even regional parties, when they come to power, do this. Granted that there is a LOT of deadwood tied to the C-system. But 7 years into governance & this excuse wears thin.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Mamta jihadi
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yagnasri wrote:In respect of the Baboons, there is always this feeling that BJP do not know how to "manage" them. Power and fear are the two tools of state craft ( not my words) and BJP does not use its power and does not inspire any fear in the baboons ( and rest of the people including BIF).

If any thing, they are simply too democratic.
Since 1947, the legacy colonial ecosystem was recreated by the brown sahibs as was intended by the departing britshits and over the years, that ecosystem has been foundationalized by the congis, commies, and the minorities by use of liberal largesse and reward by allowing the babooze to plant their snouts firmly in the public troughs and partake deeply therein

They "retire" and immediately land up in stupendously paying sinecures that are well perked in terms of facilities, freebees and the usual rent free, and free unlimited water, electricity, phonecalls, gaadi with petrol and driver, naukaar, chaakar and bangalow and round the clock chowdikars.

This ecosystem was specifically designed to financially motivate them to drive and perpetuate the empire focussed loyalties of these babooze and they latched on to the brown sahibs whom they revered and considered their new maibaaps

These were the new courtiers and high priests who faithfully served the new regime and were thrown crumbs from the exclusive tables of the new social and political elites.

the continuation of "collectors" and "hizzonners" is a stark and sorry living example of such an inward focussed but with offshore expectations in terms of oxbridge admissions, easy visas and scholarships.

Modi misjudged the venom as well as the strong tribal loyalties of this ecosystem and thought that they would be motivated by the high ideals of nation and society to deliver their best for the upliftment of their fellow citizens, as they were indeed recruited, trained and paid to do.

Now the weasels are firmly entrenched and have hidden so well in the woodwork that one cannot easily ferret them out

the britshits as well as the congis, commies and the woke jaamatis ruled by fear.

The BJP is yet to understand the basics as also internalize this simple concept of practical governance.

the mafia has been using the nonexistent threat of assassination to garner for themselves an assured lifestyle, paid for by the long suffering Indian taxpayers, of comfort, luxury, and substance that almost has no parallel anywhere else in the world

the babooze see this as an example to emulate and set up for themselves a smaller system based on similar concepts and guidelines.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

chetak wrote:
Lohit wrote:I think it is high time that Namo considers measures to consolidate and pacify restiveness internally in Punjab and Kashmir.
असन्तुष्ट लोंगो के लिए भाई साहब ने क्या जोरदार बात कही है…

कश्मीरी मुसलमान और भारतीय किसान कभी संतुष्ट हुआ है, इस देश में
especially the needlessly pampered, woke and entitled annadaatas of punjab

other states' farmers produce more grain per acre, of better quality and lesser price, with far lesser subsidies, lesser state doled out facilities and without free water and electricity.

What they consider a "miracle" is nothing but a scam they are foisting upon the honest tax payers of India

maybe for these "annadaatas of punjab", it is a miracle because they have been thugging the Indian aam aadmi for decades now, and no one has really called them out so far for this MSP racket

a lot of this "farmland" is benaami canadian and ameriki emigres owned.
I have been to Canada quite a few times, the Gurudwaras there are blatantly castist and dammed proud of it. The dominant Jats are quite open about their land ownership in Punjab and their power and they don't mind showing it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Cana ... ized_crime

I have done some quick google research and the dalit population of Punjab is the highest throughout India at approx 30-35 % and they are pretty much kept down by the jats. Would it not be possible for the BJP to appeal to this section by promising them education and training opportunities through say the Industrial Training Institute ? and the Promise of jobs ?

My cousins go to the Gulf for work, although most would prefer to stay.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

This is a bahman bania conspiracy, abetted by the gorment of India.

Dalit Sikhs are converting, yes. Maybe there is a deficiency in sikhi. Let us ask that fellow Sirsa.

I don’t know why the conversion rate from Hindus is lower than Sikhs. It seems to be, but I welcome confirmation from anyone in Panjab.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

vijayk wrote:Image

Mamta jihadi
One can only imagine how many of these characters have been pushed into India prior to 2014, and are awaiting orders.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Prem Kumar wrote:
Ambar wrote:There are thousands of such appointments everyday and it is not an important enough appointment that the cabinet minister for I&B would review and approve. Remember, the bureaucrats at every level of the government are still a part of the old ecosystem, so they will appoint there own.
Which is why a purge should have been done right away. Even regional parties, when they come to power, do this. Granted that there is a LOT of deadwood tied to the C-system. But 7 years into governance & this excuse wears thin.
The lateral and performance based improvement system should have been done ages ago itself. But the reason it wasn't is because Modi needed to get the system to deliver without having it incite an all out revolt.

As I said, I take all these media reports of how the system is already awesome based on anecdotes and family connections with a ton of salt. We have a long way to go. The feeder institutions to UPSC and selection panels are still hopelessly compromised. When NCERT textbooks still glorify the Mughals, where does one think the rest are? In the so called top grade exams which literally brainwash candidates to think a certain way before feeding them into the civil services.

The other fact of the matter on how to judge things, is whether outcomes have significantly improved without central leadership intervention. The answers there speak for themselves. What we've seen is straightforward. Where the leadership demands results, talented middle ranks get a chance to thrive and deliver. Otherwise, when a crisis erupts, initiative is simply not taken.

We still need strong leaders - Modi at Center, Yogi at UP to drive outcomes. When the CAA riots broke out, ask anyone local as to how the state admins responded. In many states, bar a couple of BJP ones, the law and order guys were ducking themselves. Even some BJP states had lackluster responses.

And the lack of comms - that requires a thesis by itself. The inability to communicate what this Govt is doing in simple, clear, lucid language.

Still there have been significant improvements in getting people to execute against sanctioned plans. What are these?

1. Modi has sacked a bunch of people for corruption.

2. The IAS stranglehold on key administration posts is broken by getting people from IRS, IPS etc through the system.

3. The focus more and more is ensuring transparency. Today's Gati Shakti is a big step towards that.

4. Rockstar, egocentric admins like the great RR, and assorted chaps who got their way to CEA, RBI posts have been shunted out.

5. Lateral entries which had been sabotaged, image wise, by guys like the above who came from the pvt sector/academia and threw their way around have been given an impetus again.

The key reforms that remain :

1. Self starters who can take independent initiative, who don't just rise to the occasion when credit or reprimands follow, easier said than done in our system. Just take a look at what our administrators study before joining service

2. State level administration and political reform (level of sloth is still very high)

3. Ideological alignment - a quick proxy to judge this is when you have many Modi hating journos still having access to the establishment, or sources, things still need to be fixed. Even the Rafale documents were leaked.

4. Strict monitoring of intent and penalise wrongdoers. Time and again we see important initiatives like the Train18 and other programs affected by needless delay. Prominent firms from abroad and even small timers still gripe about paperwork and corruption. Last mile connectivity at state level for ambitious central plans still needs fixing. Unless the administrators have to provide outcome based results as standard, things won't change. This process has also started in Govt but again we will know how things have improved in a few years time.

All in all this Govt is a sea change from earlier admins which were literally under UPA about "pay for play" and hopelessly compromised.

But a lot more needs to be done at the state level first and foremost especially as that's the real touch point of people's interaction with the BJP and talking about this visit abd that visit etc by the MEA falls flat if the cities remain as they are.

Urban quality of life needs to be a priority too to convince the next generation that their lives have markedly changed for the better beyond stuff in the news etc which doesn't directly affect them in the short term. And that means points 1, 2, 4 really matter. Point 3 matters to prevent sabotage and to ensure the Govts good work isn't undone.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Prem Kumar wrote:Which is why a purge should have been done right away. Even regional parties, when they come to power, do this. Granted that there is a LOT of deadwood tied to the C-system. But 7 years into governance & this excuse wears thin.
Prem Kumar ji, I agree that some sort of cleanup should have been done in the first year and the 6th year at least. That said, purging solves only systemic problems. IAS and other services are part of the structure. What is needed is a structural fixup. There is no easy way to make structural changes. You deconstruct one part of the structure and other substructures start weakening. Some of those may be working well or are essential for the proper functioning of the state. Structural problems are the hardest problems to solve.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Prem Kumar wrote:Which is why a purge should have been done right away. Even regional parties, when they come to power, do this. Granted that there is a LOT of deadwood tied to the C-system. But 7 years into governance & this excuse wears thin.
Prem Kumar ji, I agree that some sort of cleanup should have been done in the first year and the 6th year at least. That said, purging solves only systemic problems. IAS and other services are part of the structure. What is needed is a structural fixup. There is no easy way to make structural changes. You deconstruct one part of the structure and other substructures start weakening. Some of those may be working well or are essential for the proper functioning of the state. Structural problems are the hardest problems to solve.

This was a major mess created by the Modi administration, the mandatory cleanup should have been done in the very first month and immediately on taking over.

They should have also commissioned a white paper to take a snapshot of the economy as it was when they handed over. That would have shut a lot of mealy mouthed, two faced, white waisty clad political purloiners who drained the treasure chests and emptied out the national coffers under a selected and turbaned "leader" dancing to the tunes of the famiglia's mandolin played by the delighted reptiles of the BIF and directions of the rome loyal mafia queen.

The ecosystem is still dominated by the descendants of prithviraj chauhan who do not have the sense of community, civilization and self preservation and mental acuity to understand the concept of shatrubodh.

A purge would have weeded out the venomous and retained the relatively benign while putting them on notice. It is a standard exercise, much like deep cleaning a house before one occupies it, and is practiced globally, in one form or the other.

Such a colossal failure to deep clean by an administratively astute individual is inexplicable. The shatru is still inside and one refuses to acknowledge them until it is too late

where egos and wishful thinking dominates, despite the overwhelming evidence that the so called defeated forces are all still arrayed against one, one then puts at risk everything that one has worked for one's entire life.

When one has defeated them and occupied their once impenetrable fortress but one knowingly left the fortress gates wide open and allowed the cockroaches to enter and breed once again

Shatrubodh is vital and necessary for survival and stability. Without internalizing the concept and developing an innate understanding of Shatrubodh, the fall of the Indic civilization is inevitable.

The abrahamics all have this finely tuned core value awareness of Shatrubodh embedded at the very heart of their politico ideological processes, some even enunciate it loudly, five times every single day others do the same so silently, but they all do it nevertheless.

शत्रु बोध का अभाव हमारी सबसे बड़ी कमजोरी हैं.

इजराइल के खिलाफ वही खड़े है जो हिंदुत्व के खिलाफ खड़े है.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The reason why a whitepaper wasn't published is because it would have exposed the Indian economy to a widespread risk of flight of capital, downgraded ratings and outright disaster. BJP chose to let sleeping dogs remain, while they worked towards refilling the safe and fixing the leaking holes. We would have actually been booming now, if not for Covid.

Agree with the rest, that we are too internally complacent as a, people.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

https://www.opindia.com/2021/10/banglad ... st-hindus/
In Bangladesh Hindus are under attack. The pacifist stance of India is never helpful. We keep on losing lands after land. For what? If it's Chinese who are attacked, half of Bangladesh be under their control by now and the perpetrators in concentration camps bowing to Mao's picture. In this case BD be asked to recognize Hinduism as a state religion and also ensure that the festival be conducted by the state themselves with compensation to victims, declaring the outfit that attacked as a terrorist outfit and banning them and eliminating their leaders. For every attack terrorists be losing land be it on eastern side or western side. Terrorists must have been moved to their strategic depth by now and still lost half of that also.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

uddu wrote:....For what? If it's Chinese who are attacked, half of Bangladesh be under their control by now and the perpetrators in concentration camps bowing to Mao's picture...
Possible because Chinese have full control in their country and can bring to bear the full might of China on anyone working against their interests. Hindus and their festivals otoh are persecuted in "Hindustan" itself so Beedidesh is nothing abnormal. Gotta clean our own house first.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M wrote:The reason why a whitepaper wasn't published is because it would have exposed the Indian economy to a widespread risk of flight of capital, downgraded ratings and outright disaster. BJP chose to let sleeping dogs remain, while they worked towards refilling the safe and fixing the leaking holes. We would have actually been booming now, if not for Covid.

Karan M ji,

I know the reason but in hindsight, I now feel that notwithstanding, the white paper should have been published.

but that's water under the congi bridge and the congi commie wokes are now busy spinning scenarios to suit the circumstances that they themselves had wilfully created
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Yes, the BJPs lack of or unwillingness to combat propaganda is baffling. The IT cell /meme approach ran out of steam a long time back. They should be doing far more on the front foot and taking a strong stance against toxic media houses and personalities, Indian and foreign.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Karan M wrote:The reason why a whitepaper wasn't published is because it would have exposed the Indian economy to a widespread risk of flight of capital, downgraded ratings and outright disaster. BJP chose to let sleeping dogs remain, while they worked towards refilling the safe and fixing the leaking holes. We would have actually been booming now, if not for Covid.

true that, the NPA mess ran deep. Dad was in a senior position in a PSB during UPA haydays...what he heard was that the large loans were given on the basis of phones from finance ministry under verbal instructions ..the centralization of underwriting actually worked in favor of corruption rather than the other way round as envisaged..as the decentralized loans were attributed initially to to the loan officers and they were more accountable..then they could pass the buck to centralized teams. Majority of such large loans ended up in default and banks had to be recapitalized over time..the mess was handled over time..the RRR style working might have led the entire system to collapse...the IBC, resolution mechanisms and danda on some brought everything to manageable levels now...
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

uddu wrote:https://www.opindia.com/2021/10/banglad ... st-hindus/
In Bangladesh Hindus are under attack. The pacifist stance of India is never helpful. We keep on losing lands after land. For what? If it's Chinese who are attacked, half of Bangladesh be under their control by now and the perpetrators in concentration camps bowing to Mao's picture. In this case BD be asked to recognize Hinduism as a state religion and also ensure that the festival be conducted by the state themselves with compensation to victims, declaring the outfit that attacked as a terrorist outfit and banning them and eliminating their leaders. For every attack terrorists be losing land be it on eastern side or western side. Terrorists must have been moved to their strategic depth by now and still lost half of that also.
have we ever considered that it might be to provoke and destabilize the pro india govt. The best way is to take these elements under the radar like BD has taken care of rohingyas..shifting them to an island where they couldnt tolerate the environment conditions...in any case demography is destiny...if 22/21 year old have 2/3 pregnancy as in delhi hospital..this is bound to be repeated sometime in INdia too..i have an IPS friend..he once mentioned that such folks in UP take shifts to "sleep" as there are not enough beds
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ArjunPandit wrote:

true that, the NPA mess ran deep. Dad was in a senior position in a PSB during UPA haydays...what he heard was that the large loans were given on the basis of phones from finance ministry under verbal instructions ..the centralization of underwriting actually worked in favor of corruption rather than the other way round as envisaged..as the decentralized loans were attributed initially to to the loan officers and they were more accountable..then they could pass the buck to centralized teams. Majority of such large loans ended up in default and banks had to be recapitalized over time..the mess was handled over time..the RRR style working might have led the entire system to collapse...the IBC, resolution mechanisms and danda on some brought everything to manageable levels now...
this r govinda rajan and kaushit basu types who bored deep into the financial innards and left festering scars are still sniffing around like hungry strays looking for some scraps and shelter

dire predictions per woke economists, financially savvy presstitutes and opeditists at the time, r govinda rajan's departure was to have triggered massive flight and panic out flow of capital out of India. If anything, Modi seems to have managed very well without such showboating mongrels advising him.

r govinda rajan and kaushit basu types are also prime examples of one's lack of the shatrubodh gene which greatly hampers the distinguishing of friend from sworn enemy
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ArjunPandit wrote:
uddu wrote:https://www.opindia.com/2021/10/banglad ... st-hindus/
have we ever considered that it might be to provoke and destabilize the pro india govt. The best way is to take these elements under the radar like BD has taken care of rohingyas..shifting them to an island where they couldnt tolerate the environment conditions...in any case demography is destiny...if 22/21 year old have 2/3 pregnancy as in delhi hospital..this is bound to be repeated sometime in INdia too..i have an IPS friend..he once mentioned that such folks in UP take shifts to "sleep" as there are not enough beds

the wheels are grinding slowly but surely

Centre extends BSF’s operational area in Punjab, West Bengal and Assam, Congress and TMC objects while Captain Amarinder Singh supports the move

Jurisdiction of Border Security Forces (BSF) increased in in Assam, West Bengal and Punjab from existing 15km to 50km, decreased from 80km to 50km in Gujarat, and retained 50km in Rajasthan
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Can anyone confirm that the circular says almost all the NE states bar Assam, J&K are under BSF jurisdiction? They have arrest powers throughout?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M wrote:Can anyone confirm that the circular says almost all the NE states bar Assam, J&K are under BSF jurisdiction? They have arrest powers throughout?

Orders passed under Section 139 of the BSF Act must be laid in parliament and passed by both Houses.

MHA empowers BSF to make raids, arrests up to 50 km from IB in Punjab, West Bengal, Assam and Tripura

Will also be able to search and arrest in Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, and Ladakh; BSF powers limited to 50 km from 80 km in Gujarat

Tribune News Service
New Delhi, October 13

The Centre has issued a notification increasing the jurisdiction of the Border Security Force (BSF) to give its officers the powers of arrest, search and seizure to the extent of 50 km from the borders inside the bordering states of Punjab, West Bengal, Assam, and Tripura.

According to the notification, which has been issued by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), BSF is now authorised to take action under CrPC, Passport Act and Passport (Entry to India) Act.

In the notification, the MHA said the border guarding force has been granted permission to conduct raids and arrests up to an area of 50 km inside from the International Border (IB) along India-Pakistan and India-Bangladesh borders. Earlier, this range was 15 km.

Punjab CM Charanjit Channi cries foul after MHA notification expanding BSF powers in state

Apart from this, BSF will also be able to search and arrest in Nagaland, Mizoram, Tripura, Manipur and Ladakh, it said.

However, along with this, the jurisdiction of BSF in Gujarat has been reduced and the extent of the border has been reduced from 80 km to 50 km, while in Rajasthan the radius area has been kept 50 km as before.

Section 139 of the Border Security Force Act, 1968, empowers the Centre to notify the area and extent of the border force’s operational mandate, from time to time.

In the notification, MHA said: “The central government has revised the ‘Schedule’ specifying the border stretch where BSF would have powers of search, seizure and arrest under Acts like Passport Act, NDPS Act, Customs Act as well as Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) to Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, and Meghalaya; UTs of J&K and Ladakh; and 50 km-belt in Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Bengal and Assam”.

An officer of the rank corresponding to that of the lowest rank of member of the BSF is now empowered under the CrPC to exercise and discharge the powers and duties without an order from a Magistrate and without a warrant.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ap मरने के बाद this is the plight of the congi, commie, and woke maharathis, starting from punjab

Image via @prabhupp01 10:57 am · 13 Oct 2021
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Chetak, so per my reading they have state wide powers, correct? That's a huge step.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Karan M wrote:Chetak, so per my reading they have state wide powers, correct? That's a huge step.
No, that would be against the 7th schedule of the constitution. What has changed is the definition of the "border" which is now increased from 15 kms inland to 50 kms, so BSF gets the jurisdiction to arrest anyone within 50 kms of the border. And it is not necessary BSF hands over those it has arrested to the state agencies . If someone is caught violating central laws related to terrorism, arms smuggling, narcotics etc. BSF has the authority to hand them over directly to central agencies.

While its a good step it will only be effective if BSF goes through a comprehensive make over with regular transfers from one area to another. The diesel smuggling, narcotics, cattle smuggling, stolen motorcycles smuggling, human trafficking etc. wouldn't have been possible unless there is some understanding and connivance between the state police and BSF.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Thanks Ambar, yes BSF needs to be reformed too. The circular is very confusingly written thanks to our grade A use of passive English leading to the confusion. You can see the article authors above have also come to the conclusion it's the entire state. It says "whole area of" in the circular. I was wondering why there wasn't any big hue and cry from NE states if the entire state was covered.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M wrote:Chetak, so per my reading they have state wide powers, correct? That's a huge step.
Karan M ji,

powers of search, seizure and arrest limited to a specified distance from the borders as given in the article. It does not include/cover the whole state.

Confusion arises in a state like punjab where some big cities like amtitsar(?) are 47 KMs from the border. This is bound to cause a jurisdictional issue with the local polis

Powers limited to a few aspects only, mainly concerning the duties of the BSF :

In the notification, MHA said: “The central government has revised the ‘Schedule’ specifying the border stretch where BSF would have powers of search, seizure and arrest under Acts like Passport Act, NDPS Act, Customs Act as well as Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) to Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, and Meghalaya; UTs of J&K and Ladakh; and 50 km-belt in Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Bengal and Assam”.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Chetak ji , your quote above mentions the entire state more or less and the 50km belt applies to the rest.

So it is the entire state like I originally surmised. Per NDTV as well:

"No boundaries have been set for the five northeastern states of Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram, Tripura, and Manipur. Along with this, there is no boundary set in Jammu & Kashmir, and Ladakh.

Officers claim that in these states BSF is deployed in internal security duties so they operate accordingly."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ndtv.c ... ai-rum=off
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

chetak wrote: this r govinda rajan and kaushit basu types who bored deep into the financial innards and left festering scars are still sniffing around like hungry strays looking for some scraps and shelter

dire predictions per woke economists, financially savvy presstitutes and opeditists at the time, r govinda rajan's departure was to have triggered massive flight and panic out flow of capital out of India. If anything, Modi seems to have managed very well without such showboating mongrels advising him.

r govinda rajan and kaushit basu types are also prime examples of one's lack of the shatrubodh gene which greatly hampers the distinguishing of friend from sworn enemy
exactly chetak ji. imagine a scenario that is very likely to happened in 2014. a govt comes and the govt checks the state of economy .its a new govt seeing well entrenched bureaucracy accustomed to working in a fashion. here are these luminaries, you dont know who's on ur side, who's on the side of nation adn who's a traitor. Heck do they even know whom to trust and whom not to barring your own team..imagine how difficult would have been to navigate this..those who have switched jobs across middle management know how challenging it could be..its a mircale they managed to survive and come up against all odds..
most likely these vultures/jackals would have been happy throwing india under the bus, selling the economic demise of india as the journous did during second wave, making a money giving lectures how goi didnt listen..and that is what they hate, they are annoyed with that how a chaiwala could outsmart those who were the brightest and brushed shoulders with brightest on earth..and that itself is the testimony to the life of India and modi...
ManSingh
BRFite

Post by ManSingh »

If I understood it right, BSF has been granted powers to prosecute i.e. take to trial people caught under customs act, passport act etc. They wouldn't need to hand over people they apprehend to other agencies within this 50km distance from the border.

CrPC is criminal procedure code i.e. how a trial is conducted. The laws are the customs act etc. Missing is IPC which is another set that includes most of the laws of India.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

From Hindutva To Pseudo-Hindutva

M. Nageswara Rao
Oct 12, 2021

Snapshot
The RSS and the BJP need to ask themselves if they have lost touch with the base of Hindutva, or Hindu-ness.

A recent conference, obnoxiously titled ‘Dismantling Global Hindutva’, held from 10-12 September 2021, rightly generated a lot of heat against it. It was repugnant and loathsome as its purpose was to promote Abrahamic interests by demonising and delegitimising Hinduism. As an offshoot of that, there was an acrimonious discussion on Twitter on whether Hindutva and Hinduism are one and the same. This is due to a lot of misinformation and confusion arising primarily from the fact that both the terms have the common word ‘Hindu’ in them.
Available literature has not helped clear the confusion to any substantial degree as people tend to take political positions. And the biggest sufferer in this political slugfest has been Hinduism, or Sanatana Dharma.

The credit for coining the term Hindutva goes to Chandranath Basu. I could not obtain an English translation of his 1892 magnum opus, Hindutva – Hindur Prakrita Itihas (Hindutva – the Authentic History of the Hindus). Therefore, my understanding of the text and context of his Hindutva is from secondary sources which has its own limitations. Chandranath Basu was one of the early scholars who evaluated social ideas and practices in the comparative scale of civilisations and his conclusions acclaimed the superiority of the Hindu way of life as against the European.

His Hindutva constituted the vital and defining qualities of ‘Hindu-ness’, leaning strongly to the side of Advaita and ritualistic Hindu religion. He attempted to revive and re-establish Tantra for re-energising and restoring the fighting spirit and capabilities of Hindu society. He believed that only the bold, subversive and extraordinary methods of Tantra would prepare the Hindu to more effectively fight his subjection and conquer the onset of effeminacy.

Chandranath Basu’s preference was for reading Shakti both as a metaphysical category and the political. Thus, his Hindutva was essentially a re-invigorated Hinduism with an indigenous Sanskrit name for our religion.

Even though Chandranath Basu was the originator of the Sanskrit term Hindutva for revitalising Dharma by renewing our indigenous philosophical and religious thoughts and practices, Hindutva did not get much prominence till Vinayak Damodar Savarkar theorised it in 1921-22 in his essay ‘Essentials of Hindutva’. However, Savarkar conceptualised Hindutva more as a socio-political ideology which was very different from Chandranath Basu’s conception.

There are some who object to the characterisation of Savarkar’s Hindutva as a socio-political ideology on etymological and semantic grounds that Hindutva means Hindu-ness as the Sanskrit ‘tva’ is the equivalent of the English suffix ‘ness’; while a few others describe it as ‘Hinduism which resists’. Unsympathetic observers castigate it as ‘muscular Hinduism’, ‘militant Hinduism’, ‘Hinduism on steroids’, ‘an illegitimate child of Hinduism’, etc.

Is Hindutva The Same As Hinduism?

In order to understand whether Hindutva and Hinduism are the same or different, we must know what their essentials are. Savarkar expounded the essentials of Hindutva in his eponymous book in 1921-22 which was reprinted in 1928 by retitling it as ‘Hindutva: Who is a Hindu’. There are many books that speak about Hinduism.

Of them I chose the ‘Essentials of Hinduism’ which is compiled from the speeches and writings of Swami Vivekananda. It was published in 1937 by Swami Pavitrananda of Advaita Ashrama, Mayavati, Almora, in the Himalayas. The other one I chose is, ‘The Essence of Hinduism’ by M K Gandhi compiled by V B Kher and published in 1987 by the Navajivan Trust, Ahmedabad.

Undoubtedly, all the three were great Hindus who tried in their own ways to guide our nation during the tumultuous times of 19th and 20th centuries CE. While Savarkar developed the Essentials of Hindutva which are different from those propounded by Chandranath Basu, Vivekananda and Gandhi spoke extensively on Hinduism. I shall avoid the temptation to dig deeper into their ideas and works, which can wait for a later time and a longer piece. For the present purpose I merely compare and contrast the topical headings of chapters in these books in a tabular form as published below.

The self-explanatory topical headings of the contents of three books reveal less isometry and more complementarity between the essentials of Hindutva and Hinduism.

Interestingly, Savarkar himself clarified in the second chapter of his book that ‘Hindutva is different from Hinduism’, “Hindutva is not identical with what is vaguely indicated by the term Hinduism. By an 'ism' it is generally meant a theory or a code more or less based on spiritual or religious dogma or creed. Had not linguistic usage stood in our way then 'Hinduness' would have certainly been a better word than Hinduism as a near parallel to Hindutva. Hindutva embraces all the departments of thought and activity of the whole Being of our Hindu race.”

As Hindutva and Hinduism are different, then what was the purpose of Hindutva? Evidently, he was laying the theoretical foundation for a Hindu Rashtra. “We Hindus are not only a Rashtra, a Jati, but as a consequence of being both, own a common Sanskriti expressed, preserved chiefly and originally through Sanskrit, the real mother tongue of our race. Everyone who is a Hindu inherits this Sanskriti and owes his spiritual being to it as truly as he owes his physical one to the land and the blood of his forefathers.”

Moreover, Savarkar in his own words alludes to Hindutva as a socio-political concept. “Religiously they are Sikhs, as Jains are Jains, Lingayats are Lingayats, Vaishnavas are Vaishnavas; but all of us, racially and nationally and culturally, are a polity and a people, one and indivisible, most fitly and from times immemorial called Hindus.” And “Thus the actual essentials of Hindutva are, as this running sketch reveals, also the ideal essentials of nationality.” Therefore, Savarkar’s intention was to prepare the foundation for a religio-political nation-state called the Hindu Rashtra.

More importantly, an overall reading of Savarkar makes it abundantly clear that Hindutva and Hinduism complement each other with religious and ritualistic Hinduism providing life and energy to the socio-political ideology of Hindutva. In other words, Hindutva without Hinduism is barren and dead.

Inspiration For Hindutva

Chandranath Basu was greatly influenced by Hindu scholar Pandit Sasadhar Tarkachudamani who defined Dharma as something that supported and held together every element of human life, effectively linking man to the cosmos. This appeared to him a better way of understanding man’s place within creation. It was, therefore, natural that his Hindutva was a reassertion of the traditional social and religious thoughts, values, customs and practices that survived for several millennia and hence were evidently superior to Western culture and way of life.

As a sharp critique of the decadent morality of the so-called modernity which was penetrating Hindu homes and ruining Hindu domestic economy, the purpose of his Hindutva, which for him was an indigenous name for Hinduism, was primarily to strengthen Hindu society in all aspects and thereby remove any Hindu temptation towards foreign faiths.

Swami Vivekananda in his letter dated 10 June 1898, to one Mohammed Sarfaraz Husain of Nainital, said, “For our own motherland a junction of the two great systems, Hinduism and Islam - Vedanta brain and Islam body - is the only hope. I see in my mind's eye the future perfect India rising out of this chaos and strife, glorious and invincible, with Vedanta brain and Islam body.”

What Vivekananda meant by ‘Islam body’ was not biological but the collective strength of the ummah which is the whole community of Muslims bound together by ties of religion. Was Savarkar’s emphasis on Hindu unity inspired by Swami Vivekananda’s suggestion to adopt the Abrahamic idea of a strong body-politic for recreating a robust Hindu nation?

Abrahamism is a group of monotheistic religions, namely Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It includes godless communism and its offshoots such as Marxism, Nazism, Fascism, secularism, liberalism, etc. The phenomenon of a chosen or covenanted people in Abrahamism is well known. Being the ‘faithful’, they alone are entitled to all the privileges, including residency in a specific territory, with higher rights and status, communion membership, over-arching macro-identity etc. Was Savarkar’s definition of a Hindu, to whom inter alia Hindusthan is not only a Pitrubhumi but also a Punyabhumi, a reflection of the Abrahamic influence, particularly of the Islamic ideal concept of Dar-ul-Islam? Seems very plausible. Not only is there absolutely nothing wrong in that but it is also very welcome indeed.

Though Sanatan Dharma has always informed our indigenous politics and political systems since time immemorial, the idea of a Hindu Rashtra flowing from the concept of Hindutva seems new. Savarkar’s emphasis on much-needed Hindu unity, informed by the values of Hindu civilisation leading to his vision of Hindu Rashtra for those who consider Hindusthan as their Pitrubhumi, Matrubhumi and Punyabhumi is borne out of a synthesis of our indigenous concepts and the prevailing social, religious and political ideas to effectively meet the emerging challenges to our civilisation and nation.

In other words, Savarkar’s Hindutva was primarily aimed at protecting, preserving and promoting Hindu civilisational interests by assimilating certain Abrahamic concepts in order to make it a robust formulation as propounded by none other than Swami Vivekananda.

If the supreme Brahman represents Hinduism and the prophet Abraham represents Abrahamism, then Savarkar as the purohit solemnised the marriage of the Brahmana and Abrahmana concepts into Hindutva as recommended by Swami Vivekananda.

Are We Moving Towards Pseudo Hindutva?

The mission statement of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), which is its foundational ideology, is a paraphrased version of Savarkar’s Hindutva. “The Hindu culture is the life-breath of Hindusthan. It is, therefore, clear that if Hindusthan is to be protected, we should first nourish the Hindu culture.

If the Hindu culture perishes in Hindusthan itself, and if the Hindu society ceases to exist, it will hardly be appropriate to refer to the mere geographical entity that remains as Hindusthan. Mere geographical lumps do not make a nation. The entire society should be in such a vigilant and organised condition that no one would dare to cast an evil eye on any of our points of honour.”

After the demise of its founder Dr Keshav Baliram Hedgewar, the RSS seems to have diluted the core formulations of Savarkar’s Hindutva. The second RSS chief, Guru Madhav Sadashiv Golwalkar, in his ‘Bunch of Thoughts’, under a chapter captioned ‘Reactionary Hinduism’, had this to say: “The mere propagation of Hindu thought in literature and newspapers takes us nowhere. For instance, Veer Savarkarji wrote a beautiful book ‘Hindutva’ and Hindu Mahasabha based itself on that pure philosophy of Hindu nationalism. But once, the Hindu Mahasabha passed a resolution that Congress should not give up its ‘nationalist’ stand by holding talks with (the) Muslim League but (instead) should ask (the) Hindu Mahasabha to do that job! What does it mean? It only means that the hybrid nationalism of Congress was of the pure variety, whereas the Hindu Mahasabha represented the Hindu counterpart of the rabidly communal, anti-national Muslim League! How did this strange perversion set in? Because, the deep-rooted conviction which would spontaneously evoke the ready affirmation ‘yes, this is Hindu Nation’ under all conditions, even in dreams, was not there.”

Unsurprisingly, in the 364 pages of ‘Bunch of Thoughts’, there is only one mention of Hindutva, as cited above. Even though the foundational ideology of the RSS remains Hindutva, but are its actions always about Hindutva, especially in the post-Emergency period? Several RSS leaders arrested during the Emergency shared jail time with Muslims who were also arrested. This interaction within prison walls had perhaps its greatest swerving influence. Islam creates unyielding minds and Muslims seldom accommodate others in religious matters. So did the kafir RSS ideologically mutate to accommodate Muslims?

Post-Emergency, the Sangh Parivar was opened to minority participation, except in one of its affiliates, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad. Given the ever accommodative Hindu mind, one wonders how the presence of even one minority person in a gathering of a thousand Hindus influences the latter more than the former, leading to political correctness and dilution in the organisation’s ideology, purpose and actions.

Successive RSS chiefs and leaders of the Sangh Parivar have been propagating the idea that all Indians are Hindus – Muslims are Mohammadi Hindus and Christians are Christi Hindus – because we have the same DNA, the same forefathers and so on and so forth. Despite this, probably not one ‘secular’ intellectual has changed his views on the RSS. Muslims and Christians are also well aware that it is not the biological DNA and lineage that matters, but the theological antecedents of a religion. After returning from a visit to Afghanistan, Atal Bihari Vajpayee even said that except for upasana paddhati, there was no difference between Hindus and Muslims.

Can the RSS now ask itself how many Muslims and Christians in India think of themselves as Mohammadi Hindus and Christi Hindus respectively as a result of its formulations? If none or very few have, should it not rethink its own approach?

The RSS also started a ‘Sarva-Panth Samaadar Manch’ under the aegis of the Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh to propagate the idea that ‘all religions are the same’. But how much of this assertion comes from a reading of the Bible or Quran or the Hadith? If all religions have the same ideas, why would Christianity and Islam claim a divine mandate to convert the whole world to their religions and debunking others as false? Will Christians and Muslims see this as a Hindu willingness to capitulate, or an olive branch for compromise? Won’t this dubious equivalence not endanger an already confused Hindu society?

A former (now deceased) RSS Chief, K Sudarshan, formed the Muslim Rashtriya Manch. I was given to understand that in the recent past the RSS has also formed a Christian Rashtriya Manch. If Muslims are Mohammadi Hindus, and Christians are Christi Hindus, should these bodies not have been named as ‘Mohammadi Hindu Rashtriya Manch’ and ‘Christi Hindu Rashtriya Manch’? Or is the RSS deluding itself by its own formulation of these terms? Or is it a dubious cover-up for its (concealed) awe of the Abrahamic religions?

It is necessary to recall Savarkar on whether Muslims and Christians should be called Hindus. “So, although the root-meaning of the word Hindu …… may mean only an Indian, yet as it is we would be straining the usage of words too much - we fear, to the point of breaking - if we call a Mohammedan a Hindu because of his being a resident of India.”

“But can we, who here are concerned with investigating facts as they are and not as they should be, recognise these Mohammedans as Hindus? Many a (member of the) Mohammedan community in Kashmir and other parts of India as well as the Christians in South India ……. cannot be called Hindus in the sense in which that term is actually understood, because we Hindus are bound together ……. by the tie of the common homage we pay to our great civilisation - our Hindu culture.”

Just as India has subverted the idea of secularism by making it anti-Hindu and appeasement of minorities, the RSS should ask itself if its loss of moorings in core Hindu traditions is leading it towards pseudo-Hindutva.

Interestingly, the RSS, in its website under ‘Vision and mission’ proclaims, “That the coming of (the) twenty-first century will be a century dominated by Hindutva and what it stands for is a prophecy which has been heard from many quarters, including eminent historians.”

It is claimed that the purely materialist approach to life appears to have now run its course, aggressive industrialism has proved its own undoing, the life-style and institutions based on such a philosophy no longer seem viable, and in view of the failure of communism, the world is now looking for a viable and universally acceptable life-vision. “The world is looking for a viable and universally acceptable life-vision. It is Hinduism alone which is in a position to provide such a vision. The proclamation that the coming century will be the Hindu Century is thus not a chimera but based on hard facts, analysis and prospects.”

One must ask whether this is just hope or hope based on ground reality, and what is being done to protect and preserve Hinduism which is under severe threat? It is worth mentioning that the RSS itself does not observe many Hindu rituals, traditions, customs, etc, which are crucial to sustaining Hindutva and Hindu identity. Even its uniform and the way it is organised is anything but Hindu. Can the RSS truly serve Hindu society by divorcing itself from many of its core customs and traditions?

It is mostly Hindus who have overwhelmingly voted for Bharatiya Janata Party (and RSS) to power with a huge majority in 2014 and renewed it with a higher majority in 2019. But after coming to power, have the two promoted Hindu interests in any form? The following are a few existential concerns of Hindus on which not even baby steps have been taken in the last more than seven years.

Though India attained political independence in 1947, Hindus and Hinduism continue to suffer discrimination and subjugation as articles 25 to 30 of the Constitution deny them equal religious, cultural and educational rights on a par with minorities. Read here. The silence of the RSS/BJP on this issue is deafening.

More than two lakh Hindu temples along with about 20 lakh acres of temple lands and lakhs of crores worth of movable temple wealth have been nationalised by various governments. Hindus are thereby deprived of the institutions and resources needed to sustain Hinduism. It may be noted that only Hindu temples, not churches and mosques, are controlled by governments.

However, even BJP governments have been taking over more and more temples. The hypocrisy is so stark that in their manifesto for the Tamil Nadu Assembly elections this year, the BJP promised to free temples when their government in Uttarakhand had taken over more than 50 temples.

Further, in the name of ‘development’, some BJP state governments have been on a temple demolition drives. Karnataka is a very recent example where many temples were demolished by the BJP government, allegedly to comply with court orders.

The massive asymmetric assault on indigenous religions is causing the rapid collapse of Indic religious demography throughout the country. In the post-independence period, in thousands of villages, in several districts and a few states/Union territories such as Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Lakshadweep, J&K and Arunachal Pradesh, the Indic religious demography has already been reduced to either zero or a very small minority. At this rate India will become a Hindu minority country in a few decades and the last surviving ancient civilisation will die sooner than later.

The world over, organised religious conversion activity is viewed very seriously. For, it is responsible for the destruction of many civilisations, including the Roman, Greek, Mayan, Aztec, Inca and Zoroastrian-Persian ones, even while placing other civilisations under existential threat. Hence, most Islamic countries, China and even Greece have banned conversions. Article 13(2) of the Greek Constitution prohibits proselytisation. Yet, the BJP central government has not so far amended the Constitution to outlaw fraudulent conversions.

The flow of foreign contributions, a substantial portion of which is used for religious conversion, has been increasing every year. In the last 20 years more than Rs 2 lakh crore has been pumped in through official channels under the Foreign Contributions Regulation Act (FCRA). God knows how much more comes through illegal routes. Last year itself nearly Rs 20,000 crore was pumped into India.

It is well known that a large portion of these funds are used for subversive, conversion and other undesirable activities. No self-respecting country with the aspiration to become a super power would allow subversion and destabilisation of demography through conversions. (Read here). Except for cosmetic tweaking of rules, the BJP central government is yet to completely ban foreign contributions.

Contrary to pious statements in the Constitution, there is no equality in India as Muslims are allowed to practice polygamy. Polygamy is both anti-democratic and anti-gender justice. It is probably a contributor to the high growth of Muslim demography and an important driver of 'love jihad' in which non-Muslim women are targeted for marriage and conversion. (Read here). Yet, polygamy remains legal for Muslims with section 494 of the Indian Penal Code yet to be amended.

While in opposition, the BJP accused all others of practicing pseudo-secularism and minority appeasement. After securing power almost entirely on the basis of Hindu votes, the BJP governments have increased minority appeasement policies manifold. It has been reported in media and social media spaces that more than Rs 22,000 crore of public funds were allocated by the BJP central government from a ‘secular’ budget since 2014 for scholarships to minority students.

Further, there are many other minority-alone schemes for which the RSS/BJP governments have been allocating thousands of crores of rupees annually. The Ministry of Minority Affairs is undoubtedly the best performing ministry. (Read here). The question is, what sin have Hindus committed for which they are deprived of these benefits?

India is now the world’s second largest exporter of beef/meat for which more than 3.5 crore cattle are slaughtered annually. Every day about one lakh cattle are slaughtered only for export of beef/meat. Such unprecedented cruelty to animals, that too for feeding foreigners and earning blood money, was unheard of in the annals of Hindu civilisation earlier. While in opposition the RSS/BJP voiced concern over this so called ‘pink revolution’, but after securing power in 2014 their governments have been hugely incentivising the export of beef/meat. Is this not double talk?

The aspiration to conserve and communicate religious and cultural traditions to succeeding generations is common and legitimate for all groups – majority or minority. Denying Hindus the right to manage educational institutions of their choice without undue state interference is not only delinking Hindus from their religious and cultural moorings but also fuelling the fragmentation of Hindu society.

On an average, by the time a Muslim or Christian child turns 18, s/he would have received about 1,000 hours of formal religious education, making him/her reasonably proficient in his/her respective religion. A Hindu child, on the other hand, gets no formal religious education whatsoever, and as a result s/he is utterly ignorant about Hinduism and Hindu scriptures. This has led to generations of deracinated nominal Hindus. Having recognised the enormity of the religious deprivation of Hindus, the late Syed Shahabuddin introduced a Private Member’s Bill (No. 26 of 1995, since lapsed) in the Lok Sabha for amending article 30 of Constitution, to give the same rights to the so-called majority Hindus. Does the RSS/BJP combine have the gumption of even a Syed Shahabuddin in redressing legitimate Hindu grievances?

India’s education is most toxic for its ancient civilisation and culture. There is no country in the world except India that teaches its children to loathe its ancient civilisation, culture and indigenous religions. But after more than seven years in power, the BJP has done little to de-tox education. Consequently, our education system continues to manufacture crores of ant-Hindus out of Hindu children annually.

Hindu religious practices are selectively and systematically being interfered with by enacting Hindu-specific personal laws, ignoring the constitutional directive in article 44 for legislating a uniform civil code. Hindu religious beliefs are being criminalised as superstitions whereas non-Hindu beliefs and thousands of ‘Healing and Prayer Missions’ to convert Hindus are passed off as rational. The Aghoris, Ananda Margis and Tantrics are demonised and hounded; Hindu religious traditions and festivals such as those in Sabarimala, Shani Mandir, Jallikattu, Kambala, Diwali and Holi are being excoriated and attacked.

If killing or injury to animals is considered bad, then it should be bad irrespective of the purpose of this killing. How does it matter whether the killing is done before a deity or during festivals or for food? But our sensibilities and outrage are limited only to the occasional animal killing done during some Hindu festivals or the celebration of Hindu festivals in which man-animal sport has been an integral part. The sinister objective seems to be the de-Hinduisation of India. Why has the RSS/BJP combine become complicit in this discrimination against the public celebration of Hindu festivals and traditions?

There have been systematic attacks and genocidal killings, rapes and displacement of thousands of Hindus in West Bengal, lynching of sadhus, and murders of Hindu leaders after openly declaring rewards for their killing etc. Yet, there is not even a condemnation let alone serious effort, to protect Hindu lives, honour and property.

The absence of questioning among Hindus as to how the RSS has come to establish its hegemony over Hindu society by edging out Hindu dharmacharyas has resulted in the political interests of the RSS perforce becoming the interests of Hindu society and not the other way round. Left-liberals have made things worse by pushing every Hindu who speaks for his/her religion and civilisation into the RSS fold by caricaturing him/her as a Sanghi. And in that sense their contribution to the growth of the RSS and BJP without the latter doing much to redress grievances and promote the core interests of Hindus has been immense. It appears that the Left-liberals and the RSS have some convergence of interests in stifling the growth of the non-RSS Hindu eco-system.

With Left-liberals acting as herding dogs, the RSS and the BJP may have hijacked Hindu society for political purposes. In September this year, the BJP government of Karnataka demolished an old temple in Nanjangud, Mysuru. As the RSS has a strong presence in Karnataka, it did not allow any public outrage by Hindus. All that the RSS and its affiliates did was to work over-time to prevent any embarrassment to the BJP government by downplaying the incident and whataboutery against the Congress, which condemned these actions of the BJP Karnataka government.

Finally, one has also to ask whether the RSS and the BJP have succumbed to an inferiority complex after losing their moorings in Hinduism and after years of being under attack by pseudo-seculars. Or does the RSS feel threatened by a possible shift in power if traditional Hindu dharmacharyas and temples become the centres of Hindu revival and rejuvenation after they are freed from government control? The RSS and the BJP need to do a lot of soul-searching. They need to ask themselves whether, in the pursuit of political power, they have lost touch with the base of Hindutva, or Hindu-ness. And how far are they willing to go away from Savarkar’s, Swami Vivekananda’s or even Gandhi’s understanding of Hinduism in the pursuit of political power. The line separating Hindutva from pseudo-Hindutva is a super thin one now.

The author is former In-Charge Director, CBI. These views are personal.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The Constitutional Subjugation Of Hinduism: A Hindu Cry For Equal Rights

M. Nageswara Rao
Aug 7, 2020

Snapshot
As it stands today, Hindus do not have the same rights in matters of religion, education and culture as the minorities in India.

They do not demand more rights. Hindus cry only for equal rights as are available to minorities in all respects.

India is a unique country. What makes it bizarrely unique is that the Constitution denies the majority indigenous Hindus the same rights as those given to the minority non-Hindus. This reduces Hindus to a form of second-class citizens in their own secular country, created after faith-based partition of their ancestral land.

No doubt, Hindus have full political rights. But unlike the minorities, they don’t have freedom to run their educational institutions without undue state interference; their civilisational knowledge and ancient texts are banished from public education; by creating a false equivalence between their non-proselytising religions and the others, they are gamed for conversion; unlike minorities, they are denied the right to manage their own temples and their religious properties; unlike minorities, they don’t have the freedom to celebrate and perpetuate their ancestral traditions without undue state interference. This is a brief snapshot of the inequality and discrimination against Hindus in matters of religion, education and culture.

Denied access to their ancient civilisational texts through public education, Hindu students learn nothing about Hinduism and their ancient civilisational inheritance. On the contrary, public education has been so designed as to brainwash Hindu students to self-loathe and disown their own religion and culture. Deracinated youth shouting anti-national slogans like Bharat tere tukde tukde honge are products of anti-Hindu public education.

The pernicious false dichotomy between majority and minority ordained by the Constitution has toxified our society. It was mischievously argued that since Hindus are a majority they pose a threat to the minorities. And hence minorities need special rights and privileges to the exclusion of majority Hindus. Such fantastic political perversion is without precedence any time or anywhere in the world. It is spurious. For Hinduism is a non-expansionist, non-proselytising indigenous religion, while the proselytising, expansionist religions are eternally on the prowl to convert Hindus. Then who is a threat to whom? A herd of sheep to the wolf, or the latter to the herd of sheep? Who needs protection? Herd of sheep (prey) or the predatory wolf?

Articles 25-30 of the Constitution deal with matters relating to religious, cultural and educational rights and freedoms. To comprehend the enormity of the religious, cultural and educational subjugation of Hindus, it would be instructive to examine, shorn of legalese, how these constitutional provisions translate in action.

Article 25 guarantees freedom of religion. It has three components namely, profession, practice and propagation of religion. Let us see how Hindus fare in each of these three aspects.

Freedom to profess Hindu religion: There have been many instances of breach of this right to Hindus in pockets where they have become minorities, which rarely get reported by the mass media. Nonetheless, Kashmir is a representative example of the religious persecution of Hindus in pockets where their demography has collapsed.

Kashmir is the homeland of Kashmiri Hindus, and has been so since the dawn of civilisation. Over time they became minorities there. This led to the genocidal religious purging of lakhs of Hindus from Kashmir some 30 years ago. What was their crime? Professing Hinduism! Why they were not protected? Because they are Hindus?

Had the constitutional bodies, the self-appointed guardians of the Constitution, and the human rights groups acted and outraged even one percent of what they did post-Godhra riots in Gujarat, the genocidal annihilation and persecution of Kashmiri Hindus could have been easily averted. The genocidal pogrom against Kashmiri Hindus remains the biggest national shame in independent India, nay anywhere in the world after the Nazi holocaust, to which we turned a deaf ear and a blind eye. Even after a quarter century our silence is deafening. Questions rightly arise in the minds of Hindus as to whether this is how the constitutionally guaranteed freedom to profess Hindu religion manifests when Hindus become a minority in an area.

Freedom to practice Hindu religion: Hindu religious practices are selectively and systematically being interfered with by enacting Hindu-specific personal laws, ignoring the constitutional directive in article 44 for a uniform civil code; by criminalising Hindu religious beliefs as superstitions whereas non-Hindu beliefs and thousands of ‘Healing and Prayer Missions’ to convert Hindus are passed off as rational; by demonising and hounding Aghoras, Ananda Margis and other Tantric practitioners; and by outlawing, restricting and discouraging the celebration of Hindu religious traditions and festivals such as those in Sabarimala, Shani Mandir, Jallikattu, Kambala, Diwali, Holi, etc.

If killing of animals is considered bad, then it should be bad irrespective of its purpose. How does it matter whether the killing is done before a deity or during festivals or for food? But our sensibilities and outrage are limited only to the occasional animal killing done during some Hindu festivals or the celebration of Hindu festivals in which man-animal sport has been an integral part.

Now take another case, of meat exports. Article 48 of Constitution prohibits slaughter of milch and draught cattle. Yet, massive governmental incentives and policy encouragement has made India the world’s largest exporter of meat for which more than three crore cattle are slaughtered annually. An incredible cruelty to animals unknown in the annals of Indian history, and that too to feed foreigners and earn some blood money! Is it a shame or an achievement? On the contrary, sporadic animal sacrifice before a Hindu deity is banned, or Hindus are shamed for that. Is not the distinction contrived to deny Hindus their religious rights?

In essence, the constitutional bodies outlaw ancient Hindu religious practices that they do not like and ordain their own secular fantasies as essentials of Hindu religion. Therefore, Hindus justifiably question whether our secular Constitution is a charter to deform, nay destroy, Hinduism in the guise of reform?

Freedom to propagate religion: Methodologically, there are broadly two types of religions: non-Indian origin religions which believe in exclusion and expansion, claiming a divine mandate to convert whole world into their own. And those of Indian origin, which are inclusive, non-expansionist and inward-looking. As indigenous Hinduism is non-proselytising, the right to propagate religion is a meaningless right for it. It is as useless as offering non-vegetarian food to vegetarians. While the same right to propagate is an invitation to evangelising religions to launch religious aggression on India by converting indigenous Hindus, Sikhs etc.

A genuine right protects the weak from the bully. It is absurd to give equal rights to the wolf and the sheep to eat one another. Likewise, giving an individual the freedom to make informed personal religious choice is entirely different from licensing institutionalised organised conversion activity, nay religious imperialism, to destroy indigenous Hinduism, Sikhism etc.

The massive asymmetric assault on indigenous religions is leading to the rapid collapse of Indic religious demography throughout the country. In the post-independence period, in thousands of villages, several districts and a few states, Indic religious demography has already been reduced to either zero or to minority.

Is destruction of indigenous Indic religions and our ancient civilisation the purpose of India’s independence for which lakhs had sacrificed their lives?

The world over, organised religious conversion activity is viewed very seriously. For it is responsible for the destruction of many civilisations, including the Roman, Greek, Mayan, Aztec, Inca and Zoroastrian-Persian ones, even while placing other civilisations under an existential threat. Hence, most Islamic countries, China and even Greece have banned conversions. Article 13(2) of the Greek Constitution prohibits proselytisation.

Government control of Hindu Temples: Article 26 guarantees freedom to all to manage their religious affairs. But what is the reality? Almost all Hindu temples are nationalised by state governments. The Supreme Court has also ruled against state control of temples.

After the promulgation of the Constitution, it was expected that governments would return to Hindu society the temples taken over by them. Courts have also ruled that if there were allegations of mismanagement in certain temples government intervention could only be for limited period as per article 31A(1)(b) to set things right. But all that is in vain. State governments continue to nationalise more Hindu temples and their properties whereas mosques and churches are left to their respective religions. The latest example is nationalisation of over 50 Chardham temples by the Uttarakhand government.

Temples are the life and soul of Hinduism. Temples provided institutional capacity for religious education, self-correction and self-defence, and sustenance of the priestly class, artistes and various related service occupations. They also helped raise resource capacity to serve needy and destitute Hindus. Government takeover of temples has completely crippled Hinduism.

It is estimated that more than 1,00,000 Hindu temples, along with lakhs of acres of their land, their movable properties worth lakhs of crores, and annual incomes running into thousands of crores have been nationalised by the state governments. Evidently, with the denial of the right to manage their own temples, the “majority” Hindus in India fare no differently from minority dhimmis in certain theocratic countries. Deprived of resources and institutions, Hinduism has been decaying. Clearly, the religious rights of Hindus count for nothing, and states can trample them at will. So much for religious freedom for majority Hindus!

Sectarian public funding: Article 27 stipulates that no person shall be compelled to pay any taxes, the proceeds of which are specifically appropriated in payment of expenses for the promotion or maintenance of any particular religion. Yet, there are special provisions for scholarships, subsidies, schemes, plans, loans and budgets carved out of secular public funds for the benefit of religious minorities to the exclusion of majority Hindus. Technically, no taxes are specially imposed for the benefit a religion. But is appropriating a part of secular taxpayers’ money for the benefit of minority religions not the same and against the spirit of article 27?

Religious neutrality of the state is supposedly the hallmark of secularism. Hence, in a secular polity all laws and public policies have to be religion-agnostic. It goes without saying that religion-based schemes severely harm the national interest as they reinforce sub-national identities by giving a fillip to fissiparous tendencies, to the detriment of national unity and integrity.

Therefore, socio-economic criteria alone should alone be the basis for beneficiary selection for all welfare schemes. Yet, huge amounts of public funds are allocated to minorities solely or primarily based on their religious identities, which is unconstitutional and anti-secular.

What is the effect of such blatant sectarian public funding? A Hindu who is not eligible for a certain minority benefit can suddenly stake a valid claim to the same if he would just convert to Islam or Christianity. Evidently, the secular Indian state actively encourages conversion of Hindus misusing secular public funds. Is this not a fraud on our secular constitution that the Indian state has transformed itself into the biggest proselytiser of Hindus away from their ancestral religion?

Ban on teaching Hindu ancient texts and civilisational knowledge: Article 28 keeps religious instructions out of the public educational system. A civilisation can survive only as long as there is a state to nurture it. The Indian state is the inheritor and trustee of our ancient civilisation which is primarily informed by Hinduism. It, therefore, has a civilisational responsibility to nurture it. Nurturing means encouraging and sponsoring inter-generational transmission of civilisational knowledge and teaching of ancient texts through public education.

Ours has always been a knowledge-based civilisation with a vast repository of knowledge and literature on a variety of subjects. The Rig Veda is the world’s oldest known text, and the Mahabharata is the world’s longest poem ever written. Any nation would be proud of such an illustrious heritage.

Yet, teaching our ancient texts like the Vedas, Upanishads, Mahabharata, Ramayana, etc, through public education is banned by classifying them as religious. How can the state divest Hindus of their cultural knowledge and identity because that knowledge and identity has religious origins and basis? Even if those civilisational texts are religious, what is wrong in teaching them in public education? If religions were bad then why not ban them? Is it not hypocritical to give freedom of religion and yet ban its teaching in public education?

Actually, it is a distressing camouflage which becomes evident upon reading article 28 together with articles 29-30 which give special rights to minorities to establish educational institutions to teach their religion and culture. Consequently, only Hindu texts and knowledge are banned from being taught but not those of others. It seems to be an evil project to destroy Hinduism by denying Hindus access to their ancient texts and religious, cultural and civilisational knowledge through public education.

Denial of cultural rights to Hindus: Article 29 confers cultural rights on all to preserve their language, script or culture. However, the word 'minorities' in its marginal heading is incongruent with its body as also with the group heading 'cultural and educational rights'. Such incongruence has led to an understanding that only minorities have guaranteed cultural rights, and not majority Hindus.

Denial of educational rights to fragmenting Hindu society: Article 30 confers educational rights on minorities to the exclusion of majority Hindus. Consequently, undue state interference debilitates the functioning of Hindu educational institutions, whereas article 30 protects minority institutions. The 93rd constitutional amendment and the sectarian applicability of the Right to Education Act made matters worse for Hindu institutions. To escape state tyranny, some sections of Hindu society have been demanding separate religion status in order to claim minority educational rights.

Having recognised the enormity of the deprivation, Syed Shahabuddin introduced in the Lok Sabha a Private Member’s Bill (No. 26 of 1995, since lapsed) for amending article 30 to give the same rights to majority Hindus.

The aspiration to conserve and communicate religious and cultural traditions to succeeding generations is common and legitimate for all groups – majority or minority. Denying Hindus the right to manage educational institutions of their choice without undue state interference is not only deracinating Hindus from their religious and cultural moorings but also fuelling fragmentation of Hindu society.

Appeal to PM Shri Narendra Modi: Sir, undoubtedly, you are a civilisationally-rooted dharmic prime minister. People have reposed immense trust in you to preserve and promote our ancient civilisation. You have a huge mandate to free Hinduism from constitutional subjugation by amending articles 25-30 of Constitution to give Hindus equal rights on a par with minorities.

Sir, Hindus do not demand more rights. Hindus cry only for equal rights as are available to minorities in all respects, which is the hallmark of a secular democracy. For this singular act, you will be venerated forever as the greatest civilisational leader of India.

*The author is former In-Charge Director, CBI. These views are personal.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Beautiful article and puts in words my exact thoughts on the matter.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Karan M wrote:Agree with the rest, that we are too internally complacent as a, people.
In 2014, India was in an extremely delicate financial situation. I heard it (almost) first hand from somebody who was told how bad the situation was six months into Modi admin. The admin big wigs were not sure about the effects of deep cleaning at that time.
TFWIW
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

not sure - but I havent seen any posts on the details of Gati Shakti new push from the PM:
The Gati Shakti Master Plan is a national plan for multi-modal connectivity. It involves setting up a new single portal which will include information on all the current infrastructure projects including Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, UDAN etc. It will also integrate information of the existing facilities such as special economic zones, textile clusters, defence corridors, electronic parks, agriculture zones, etc, across the country into the website.

These projects will be geo-mapped and can be tracked real-time. Apart from this, it would also provide analytical and decision-making tools to all investors and stakeholders involved in policy making in the country.
https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/gati ... in-a-hurry
time to track this like the har ghar jal mission

i feel this will push all our infra projects even further. already this govt has been way ahead of others in infra development.
long gone where cong type govts actually pushed for "under development of the border roads as a strategy".
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Yes Gati Shakti is a huge huge step forward. This will actually set up a decade wherein we will actually start matching PRC in economic development and might.