Agni-I/SR: Strategic Implications (Thread 1)

Vamsee
BRFite

Agni-I/SR: Strategic Implications (Thread 1)

Post by Vamsee »

Watch star news for further details......
Vamsee
BRFite

Re: Agni-I/SR: Strategic Implications (Thread 1)

Post by Vamsee »

currently Iam unable to access the ndtv website.<p>But from what I heard from star tv....<p>-- Preperations are completed in chandipur,orissa.
-- Defence officials have reached the test site.
-- dont know whether it will be A-II or A-III.
-- India want to send a strong signal to world(acc. to Gen.Raghavan).
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

isnt a-2 already inducted
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

neeraj>> what I meant by it is unknown whether it will be A-II or A-III is that it was not mentioned in the star news report.<p>Yes A-II is reported to be under serial-production.Hence this test may be A-III.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

i have a question. assuming they launch the missile upto 80% of its range 4000km which path will the missile take.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Another question:<p>How much advance notice is supposed to be given for ships to stay away from the designated area? This will give an idea about the expected time of the launch.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

1) It doesn't make sense to test A-II. It is already under production. This year it is supposed to be inducted in small number into armed forces.<p>2)GF is also present at test site along with large number of MOD officials.
Aditya Vikram
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditya Vikram »

Vamsee>> Actually it make sense to test Agni-II again.The army/airforce this time want only there own men(say an artilery officer) to carry out their tests and thus validate their comand and control and targeting systems.Or A MINOR IMPROVEMENT on the missile which might improve its operational efficency
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

If my memory serves me well India has tested previous A-missiles at 10:02 am IST. So we may expect some news in couple of hours. Hopefully we get a nice Republic day gift.
;)
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Aditya Vikram>> After A-II was tested for the first time, It was reported to be in "Final operational configuration". Hence when it was tested again in Jan. last year Arun_S and others speculated that it might be A-III tested but reported as A-II or it may be tested by armed forces to validate before induction.<p>It is unlikely that A-II will be tested again. Presence of GF also indicates that it may not be "another" test of A-II.<p><B> RIGHT NOW STAR TV REPORTED THAT A-III WAS TESTED SUCCESSFULLY.CONGRATS DRDO AND GOI </B>
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

A-III test fired at 8:50 a.m IST.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

neeraj>>Amen.<p>Agni-pariksha is over now we need to do some Suryanamskara's. ;)
rajivg
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajivg »

NDTV says that it was launched towards the ocean off the coast of Orissa at 8:50AM IST.<p>Again not clear if its A-II or A-III as said by NDTV. By the way, I don't see this as a big deal.
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

HAHAHAHA kofi annan urges restraint.<p>I think there is some link between high-profile chinese leader visit to India and Agni.Last time when LiPeng came here we tested A-II. Now after Jemin's visit A-III :D .
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

Jash

Post by Jash »

This is funny!
As per report GOI wants to keep range secret. May ICBM can reach to Washington DC? (just a dream)
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Sarma:<p>the ToI report just above your post seems to suggest it is A-II. I guess we would have to wait for the official announcement to know exactly what it was.
ehsmang
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ehsmang »

are there any official specs about Agni III ( if indeed it was Agni III). <p>I liked the SuryaNamaskar thingi
Aniruddha N
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aniruddha N »

Congratulations to DRDO, GOI and all others involved. It doesn't matter if its II or III. All that matters is the range with a reasonable payload.<p>Remember that any range given by GOI will be under-reported. This is the norm for political reasons.
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Come on Jash, hold the anti-Amriki sentiments in check, I say. <p>I think Agni-III is a special kind of missile, designed to turn and fly mostly eastwards. Just like the highly specialized cars in the INDY racing circuit in the US (those cars, unlike Formula-1 cars, are designed to mostly compete in an oval track, counter-clockwise, and thus need to make high-speed turns only to the left (and not right). Their suspension and steering is therefore tuned accordingly also).. ;)
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Sarma garu>> It doesn't matter whether it is A-II or A-III.It is "Symbloic gesture"(Like mushy's unsolicited handshake :p ).India is sending a signal to international community that it is not willing to compromise on its interests.
rajivg
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajivg »

NDTV says that it was a spontaneous decision reflecting the confidence of the GoI in the military and defense research establishment. NDTV also says it was a mobile launcher and probably a variant or refinement of some sort of the A-II.
Rajeev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajeev »

cmon guys , lets concentrate on agni , not on any 4 letter acronym :)
S Bajwa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S Bajwa »

Congrats... let's see what US says...
member_3809
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3809 »

But why test it right now? Are we sending a message eastwards?? Something happening there that is not being reported in the papers??? Hardly makes sense to test Agni III to send Mushie and co. a msg.
Mudy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mudy »

Guys, do you think TSP will try or announce their Gauri's new avatar.
Congrats to GOI and DRDO.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>But why test it right now? Are we sending a message eastwards <hr></blockquote>
This year 26 January parade is scaled down. :D :D
Just to make it merrier ;)
member_3809
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3809 »

Rediff says it is Agni III but Indiatimes and NDTV.com say it is Agni II. Clarity pls... anyone?
rajivg
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajivg »

This is just to spin up the Pakis & Mushy. Its also to make sure Colin Powell doesn't sleep too well either, lest he forgets that Pak is conducting terrorism against India.<p>If I were the US or Pak, I'd ignore the whole thing because I know that India wants to get a rise out of it to spin me up diplomatically.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

No TSP cant even open its test site right now.
I think there is a rift growing between US and TSP since last few weeks.
neeraj
BRFite

Post by neeraj »

maybe its a 5000km agni 2 Image
Muns
BRFite

Post by Muns »

Well congrats India, already starting the new year with a bang......kudos to DRDO....<p>Expect the pakis to start painting another M11, they recently had a cold test..
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Chaps,
Cool down. :) Go through the previous GoI reports-as many as you can-and this Agni-2/3 business will fall in place.<p>Agni-3 *or* as is mentioned in ToI etc "a longer ranged version of Agni-2" which is one and the same.Some choose to refer to the latter as the Agni-3.And yes,technically speaking,it is a longer ranged version of the Agni2 and may be referred to as a Agni2 variant.<p>MoD/GoI apparatus at work. :) <p>Congrats to DRDO!<p>Regards,
Nitin
Joeqp
BRFite

Post by Joeqp »

The best part is that TSP can't respond to this test, copycats that they are, what with the US forces all over that country... heee heee hee.... Image
Vamsee
BRFite

Post by Vamsee »

Vishal>> India want to make doubly sure that when we spank TSP in feb-mar this year,Hidden dragon does not make any mischief on eastern front.<p>
Sequel to "crouching tiger,hidden dragon"<p><B>Roaring tiger,hidden dragon and shivering rat</B> ;)
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

How are the Pakis going to fire a missile with all those USN ships in the Arabian Sea ? What if a stray Ghauri hit the Kitty Hawk ?
anilK
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anilK »

The tribune report says "tactical" missile. How can anything with even 2500 km or maybe 5000km be tactical..
i realize it is the role one uses it in that makes it tactical or strategic, but come on a IRBM is mostly strategic.. isn't it ?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vamsee:
Roaring tiger,hidden dragon and shivering rat :D
Jash

Post by Jash »

Wow GOI confirm that its Agni-1 range of 700 kms.