India Tests Prithvi based ABM

Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

joey wrote:
Kanson wrote:I know...I will hitting my head against the brick if i started to say something like this...

I am doing it for someone, Atleast, who may think about it with the information available before jumping on the bandwagon of "It is Arrow, It is Arrow"

For naysayers, only foreigners have brain, Indians are less human as they dont have one. They should not develop anything of their own. If done, then they need some reason to discount that theory.
Dude i'm just a teenager, and i cant really argue with technical persons there.
I just told him what you want to believe believe but he thinks its nothing but arrow 2 he worked in LM, anyways.

But the moment he said it i felt real bad, just as your saying hitting head on wall.
Oh no man..You mistaken me. This is not for you..I clearly mentioned it for naysayers !
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

joey, Agree to the 100 bucks part. Will give you fifty if you loose.
Vijay J
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

You can't transfer the Arrow under the table. It costs too much. India is not like Israel, we don't import things from US and claim they are indigenous. It doesn't work like that. The arrow is sold as a system and its costs quite a bit. Possibly comparable to the IGMDPs total budgetry input thus far.

Sending a system for test and validation that is possible but that was done years ago.

Radar was not used in this test. Like I said programmed intercept, you tell the missiles where to go and then make them meet in mid air.

This is a test to setup a performance baseline.

It was not the first of its kind. Remember there were a number of reports of Prithvi tests through out the year, tests of a system that everyone assumed that the GoI was not going to deploy.

ps. if he worked at LM ask him to ask his friends how the first AIM54 tests were conducted. That is what we have done.
Last edited by Vijay J on 28 Nov 2006 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

shiv wrote:I bet my ass
Errr, Dr Sahab, isn't that a risky bet? I mean your ass!!!! :eek:
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

For intelligent people...

Think this..before engaging in dream world of Arrow tech transfer

If US is in business of selling PAC-3 to India, will it allow to sell Arrow from Israel(which it developed from US tech)
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

Kanson wrote:The problem is even our people called it first as "baan" (hindi equivalent of Arrow). Eventhough it is could be for fun, it exacerbates indian mentality of relying on others products to sell their own.

This is called brand loyalty :wink: :lol:
for gods sake someone go there and atleast clear the confusion.
its killing me.
Abhiman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhiman »

hi again. As per statements of officials from DRDO, the interceptor missile is fully indigenous, and that more tests in future shall be required to validate the same (which is not required of foreign procured systems.)

It may have been a confidential project under development since many years and revealed now only.

In my view, development on Trishul and other missiles of IGMP (like Agni-III) may now be accelerated as tracking technology developed for this ABM system may be utilized in the Trishul system.

Laks, news articles from Strategypage may be avoided as they are false and misleading like the article, "Arjun finally cancelled, really cancelled".
Thanks.
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

ramana wrote:joey, Agree to the 100 bucks part. Will give you fifty if you loose.
100 bucks part where?
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

joey wrote:for gods sake someone go there and atleast clear the confusion.
its killing me.
Why we have to adorn the hat of sales person. If he is from LM, then thats not India's fault to educate what India is doing.

As i said before..this is not the first test of AXO
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

VijayJ
Radar was not used in this test. Like I said programmed intercept, you tell the missiles where to go and then make them meet in mid air.
Are you really sure? TSR in Hindu did say a radar was used and the vehicle had 'active' sensors on board. For example IR is passive sensor.

Kanson, If you want call it teer or something. A rose by any other name still smells the same. Shakespeare.

Arun_S, Called it baan as it evokes the magic of the Mahabharata War and many Indian Cinema flicks had scenes of baan intercepting other missiles.
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

Ramanna should i agree to the 100 bucks thing its too much though lol.
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

I dealed a 25$ one :P
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

ramana wrote:VijayJ
Are you really sure? TSR in Hindu did say a radar was used and the vehicle had 'active' sensors on board. For example IR is passive sensor.

Kanson, If you want call it teer or something. A rose by any other name still smells the same. Shakespeare.

Arun_S, Called it baan as it evokes the magic of the Mahabharata War and many Indian Cinema flicks had scenes of baan intercepting other missiles.
Why dont you come here http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showth ... post301811
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Joey,

Calm down (I am kams). If you want to argue with Highsea, do your home work first. Posting some other posters replies to answer his question will only erode your credibility. Look at Arrow 2 specifications and compare them to our missile specification(whatever is available in open) and then argue, Just posting what Vijay or Raman posted is not the way to argue your case. As I said before in WAB, time will convince the sceptics.

Highsea used to work for Boeing and I think he is a consultant now.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

ramana wrote:
Yes..I agree with that...

But people, even without thinking, started equating..seems bad..Anyway we can only guide.. Its upto them to make a judgement.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Humm had a brief chat with the 5th uncle of fourth nice first grandmother's...you get the drift (called many of these actually on a conference call) , so here is what is happening , please keep this transcript secret

No1 (DRDO Scientist - Mr Cryptic) said - Didn't you read the news, it was Prithvi. So two fired in the known direction and they Intercepted.
Me- But the news was cryptic, it said that it used parts of Prithvi, some speculate it is first stage of Prithvi
No2 (DRDO Scientist no 2, Mr. More forthcoming) - Oh well parts can we anything, if we used the name of Prithvi (and nothing else) we still used Prithvi didn't we, so we did not lie.
Mr. Jurnotutes No 1 - You are a lying bunch, you just yanked it out...
At this point I hear gasps, NO1 and NO2 look in horror and then relax, they were fully dressed and nothing was amiss.
Jurnotutes #1 - I tell you man, I do not believe in this test, I have seen the smoke but not the interceptor, I doubt it happened, it is yet to be confirmed, most probably the Prithvi got destroyed in mid flight and they are calling it an AMB intercept.
Well meaning but confused Desi - I tell you, it was Arrow, no one has seen the intercepting masala, doesn’t it look like arrow. Moreover since it was captured on camera, it has to be at lower altitude, cannot be that far, so it has to be arrow. (btw arrow intercepts at at least 50 km)
Jurnotutes#2 (Mr. I know my tanks) - Bah humbung, I have not yet spoken, This is but a great failure, wait for my next article, I just spoke to JJ, I will have an update.
Jurnototus# 3(Mr. TFTA paise ke liye kuch bhi karega)-- I tell you, these guys are light years away, who says only 10 or 20 years. I talked to my bhailog this side, err I mean the other side, they say they have a better system, you know how they always have taller and red tipped, I have seen all of it, they are more advanced I tell you. No one from my master’s country has done it so how these middle class Indians have done it, I tell you, they are light years away
No 1# - Mr TFTA light years is measure of length not time
Jurnototus# 3(Mr. TFTA paise ke liye kuch bhi karega)-- Oh shut up, you guys don’t know about length, your Prithvi is stubby and your agnis…less said the better
No2# - So are we done here then
Me- No no we are not, please tell me what is what. Please give us more detail
SELF Loathing Indian - Huh, what have you produced of late, this is fake. No tests, do you have pictures to prove it? If it happened, the masala was Arrow and the radar polish, the vehicle Czech. If anything it prooves how incompetent Prithvi is, it can be shot down
NO1 Scientist - Gentleman I will have to leave, I guess you all have already reached a conclusion, what is there more to tell.
Well meaning but confused desi protests - I am still confused?
NO1 - So what is new here, you need little faith here son and you will find the answer you seek.
No 1 leaves.
No2 indulges the crowd - Well we can’t show the photo, we cannot of course just to satisfy your curiosity tell you everything.
Jurnotutes 1,2,3 and SLIME sing in chorus - I told you it was fake
The call gets disconnected at this time. I am suppose to be at my day’s job. Everyone had the answers already, no amount of extra information was going to change there view. Some were skeptical due to genuine reasons, but then nothing could be done to satisfy their curiosity. Others had a living to earn, bank balances to look after, they were also not going to change their view on any evidence. If they dare tell the truth, they have to find a way to earn a honest living, something which even their baap dada had not done

Secret notes - Scientist 1 - The ABM has worked. It was the 5th test of interception. The individual system tests have been challenging. The seeker had to be mounted many times on Trishul and Akash. The 300cm 50 km Trishul was a nice prototype that was tested many times. It was hard to fool the space based tracking system of major powers so we had to name it Trishul and test it. Since it was a system which of course had an escalatory angle to it, it was not announced in the very begening. We did not want to end up with a non working ABM and our enemies with better masala. The target towing according to press release was done by Lakshya (we know better) Many ‘Prithvi’ testes had verified the design success of the first stage of the n stage masala. The radar has been a great fusion of many Indian and other technologies. We acquired the Green pine and Antey radars many years ago and we have fused that technology with many home grown ones. I am myself confused by many names that we gave them to hide this. We have been perfecting the interceptor radr for a long time. Every TSP no-dung have been successfully tracked. Rest of the details as agreed upon will not even be committed to paper.
Jai Hind!!
Last edited by fanne on 29 Nov 2006 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yeah.. we do have two elta green pines at our disposal..
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Kanson wrote:The problem is even our people called it first as "baan" (hindi equivalent of Arrow).

Baan = bow
Tir = arrow
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Shalav wrote:
Kanson wrote:The problem is even our people called it first as "baan" (hindi equivalent of Arrow).

Baan = bow
Tir = arrow
The problem is not with baan, tir or teer...Its about the indian mentality..
rajesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajesh »

Any PICTURES OF ABM test?
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

fanne wrote:Humm had a brief chat with the 5th uncle of fourth nice first grandmother's...you get the drift (called many of these actually on a conference call) , so here is what is happening , please keep this transcript secret

No1 (DRDO Scientist - Mr Cryptic) said - Didn't you read the news, it was Prithvi. So two fired in the known direction and they Intercepted.
Me- But the news was cryptic, it said that it used parts of Prithvi, some speculate it is first stage of Prithvi
No2 (DRDO Scientist no 2, Mr. More forthcoming) - Oh well parts can we anything, if we used the name of Prithvi (and nothing else) we still used Prithvi didn't we, so we did not lie.
At this point I hear gasps, NO1 and NO2 look in horror and then relax, they were fully dressed and nothing was amiss.
Jurnotutes #1 - I tell you man, I do not believe in this test, I have seen the smoke but not the interceptor, I doubt it happened, it is yet to be confirmed, most probably the Prithvi got destroyed in mid flight and they are calling it an AMB intercept.
Well meaning but confused Desi - I tell you, it was Arrow, no one has seen the intercepting masala, doesn’t it look like arrow. Moreover since it was captured on camera, it has to be at lower altitude, cannot be that far, so it has to be arrow. (btw arrow intercepts at at least 50 km)
Jurnotutes#2 (Mr. I know my tanks) - Bah humbung, I have not yet spoken, This is but a great failure, wait for my next article, I just spoke to JJ, I will have an update.
Jurnototus# 3(Mr. TFTA paise ke liye kuch bhi karega)-- I tell you, these guys are light years away, who says only 10 or 20 years. I talked to my bhailog this side, err I mean the other side, they say they have a better system, you know how they always have taller and red tipped, I have seen all of it, they are more advanced I tell you. No one from my master’s country has done it so how these middle class Indians have done it, I tell you, they are light years away
Jurnototus# 3(Mr. TFTA paise ke liye kuch bhi karega)-- Oh shut up, you guys don’t know about length, your Prithvi is stubby and your agnis…less said the better
SELF Loathing Indian - Huh, what have you produced of late, this is fake. No tests, do you have pictures to prove it? If it happened, the masala was Arrow and the radar polish, the vehicle Czech. If anything it prooves how incompetent Prithvi is, it can be shot down
NO1 Scientist - Gentleman I will have to leave, I guess you all have already reached a conclusion, what is there more to tell.
NO1 - So what is new here, you need little faith here son and you will find the answer you seek.
No 1 leaves.
No2 indulges the crowd - Well we can’t show the photo, we cannot of course just to satisfy your curiosity tell you everything.
The call gets disconnected at this time. I am suppose to be at my day’s job. Everyone had the answers already, no amount of extra information was going to change there view. Some were skeptical due to genuine reasons, but then nothing could be done to satisfy their curiosity. Others had a living to earn, bank balances to look after, they were also not going to change their view on any evidence. If they dare tell the truth, they have to find a way to earn a honest living, something which even their baap dada had not done

Secret notes - Scientist 1 - The ABM has worked. It was the 5th test of interception. The individual system tests have been challenging. The seeker had to be mounted many times on Trishul and Akash. The target towing according to press release was done by Lakshya (we know better) Many ‘Prithvi’ testes had verified the design success of the first stage of the n stage masala. The radar has been a great fusion of many Indian and other technologies. We acquired the Green pine and Antey radars many years ago and we have fused that technology with many home grown ones. I am myself confused by many names that we gave them to hide this. We have been perfecting the interceptor radr for a long time. Every TSP no-dung have been successfully tracked. Rest of the details as agreed upon will not even be committed to paper.
Jai Hind!!
AMAZING CLEARS ALL DOUBTS, SPECIALLY WHY WE WERE TESTING PRITHVI SO MANY TIMES.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Amidst all the awesome tech discussion, please allow me to make a post with little value :) .This is awesome news (late reaction I know), but this news has enliven my spirits. This will carry me for atleast a month :D . Glad atleast we have successfully achieved the first step. Congrats to DRDO & especially to the team involved. May god bless you all :twisted: and nation.
Regards,
-Z
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

rajesh, See page 4. Thanks, ramana
R Sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Sharma »

Just a general question from a mere mortal: Why are we discussing this topic on two threads??? gets a little confusing....
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Shalav wrote:

Baan = bow
Tir = arrow
Not really man, Baan can mean arrow. in telugu it is Baanam. A number of IAF missile units are named with 'baan' as a suffix .
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The Stratfor article takes the cake of the day. :)
........ Pakistan is still in the fight
WOW. What a revelation from the West. The Massiah MUSt have landed.

Wonder if Pakistan does anything else.

Here is a quote that all indians must preserve:
...... patently beyond the scope of either of India's domestic missile programs -- the Akash and the failed Trishul. Lessons learned from the Trishul -- and successful subsystems of the program -- could figure into the AXO's development
(I did not know India got an patent on the failed trishul.)
Now India has further weakened Pakistan's position by unveiling the AXO anti-missile system, which is already in the test phase
Sorry Stratfor. Will make sure that Indian MoD allocates some $$ to strengthen pakistan next year onwards. Will route it thru' China tho', since Uncle is watching bank tarnsfers into pakistan.
The troubled U.S. program also serves as a reminder of the obstacles India has yet to overcome. Operational success of a layered missile shield is an enormously complex and expensive goal -- one the United States has yet to complete, even with investment now exceeding $100 billion.
Good reason to outsource the US effort. Plenty of cheap programmers in India.
India is attempting to field a single missile design and has so far only demonstrated a comparatively basic but nonetheless noteworthy ability to put two missiles -- both of which are controlled by Indian scientists -- in the same chunk of three-dimensional space at the same time
Should try it over US air space the next time around. Also, will add another dimension.
The command-and-control that an AEW platform provides would be a great boon to Pakistan's ability to coordinate air superiority campaigns.
Hmm....... Of course. Pakistan and China have performed severe penance too. Pakis stole that Yindoo practice.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Jagan wrote: in telugu it is Baanam
Baanamu? :)

an illad cross bong will look into the "sky".
Last edited by SaiK on 28 Nov 2006 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Vijay J
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

Ramana,

Radar not used to detect the launch, only used to confirm trajectory of target after launch.

Active seeker, no idea what he is talking about, something for a last minute minor correction to the course? perhaps, I don't know. But at its heart by taking out the time required for detection, discrimination and trajectory calculation, the problem has been greatly simplified.

Early Aim54 tests had the same feature. They simply demonstrated that if the missile was told exactly where to go it could go there six times in a row. Ofcourse in the press this was painted as six simultaneous engagements and that looked very impressive to those in the crowd that didn't know the details.

Not to say Aim54 was not a good system, it is just that detecting under all weather conditions, and discriminating between friend and foe and then maintaining multiple locks as the targets carried out evasive maneuvers was a difficult problem to begin with, so they simplified it and made it look good for psyops value.

Like I said, it is a baseline test. You have to bee this high to join the fire brigade.

The focus in the race has now shifted from making missiles that will kill cities to missiles that will shoot down other missiles. This is a big change and will stretch the capability of those whose friendships are higher than the himalayas, deeper than the Indian ocean and sweeter than honey.
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Jagan wrote:...in telugu it is Baanam. A number of IAF missile units are named with 'baan' as a suffix .
You're right. My mishtake became wrong.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Baanam in sanskrit means simple tipped Arrow. Chaapam is bow. ThuuNeeram is the quiver, ie arrow bag. Asthram is warhead tipped arrow. Warheads at Mahabharatham time included snake venom (Naagaasthram) Fireball (Aagneyaasthram) HT Glass with poison (Brahmaasthram) etc. kODhandam is the solid part of the bow. I am not able to recall the word for the string right now.

I can't recall the word Theer used in Mahabhaaratham or RaamaayaNam.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Theer is rural as opposed to Baan!
I recall in the B R Chopra version of MahaBharata the string used to be called pratyancha?
George J

Post by George J »

Children:

Baan=Tir=Arrow
Kamaan=Dhanush=Bow

I am finding it very difficult to read this thread from exile. Some of you otherwise smart jingos/oraclites think that without you quoting the the ENTIRE FRIGGING post you are replying to (for a one line reply off course) it just wont do. Off course its just a suggestion. If you feel the urge to needlessly repeat an entire post to justify your inane one line reply please do so.

And whats with trying to jusitify to cretins on other boards about the ABM test. Are you here to learn and discuss or inflate your ego by trying to justify (using cut paste from BRF) on other boards? Many of those infidels and al-keeda already lurk on BRF. If they dont, then there is no point justifying anything to them. They already know more than DRDO does about its own AXO tests. Dont post inane links to what other forums think and how jingos need to mollify them.

As far as "phoren hand" in the AXO experiments. Please be kindly reading Wings of Fire* about what these so called experts thought of the first Prithvi tests. If you believe them there is nothing indigenous about Prithvi either.

Post by Nayak »

In my bhang-induced dreams, I foresee, that the delicate balance has been upset considerably.

Infuture, I see claims coming from, the land-of-lizard an land-of-the-pure-denizens, of MIRV and warheads doing more u-turn manoovers than Mush's tush. The warheads will weave in such a charming manner which will defeat the KUFR sounding BAAN.

Back to massaging ech and dee.

Excuse my sleep-deprived ramblings.
R Sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Sharma »

fanne wrote:Humm had a brief chat with the 5th uncle of fourth nice first grandmother's...you get the drift (called many of these actually on a conference call) , so here is what is happening , please keep this transcript secret

No 1 leaves.

Secret notes - Scientist 1 - The ABM has worked. It was the 5th test of interception. The individual system tests have been challenging. The seeker had to be mounted many times on Trishul and Akash. The 300cm 50 km Trishul was a nice prototype that was tested many times. It was hard to fool the space based tracking system of major powers so we had to name it Trishul and test it. Since it was a system which of course had an escalatory angle to it, it was not announced in the very begening. We did not want to end up with a non working ABM and our enemies with better masala. The target towing according to press release was done by Lakshya (we know better) Many ‘Prithvi’ testes had verified the design success of the first stage of the n stage masala. The radar has been a great fusion of many Indian and other technologies. We acquired the Green pine and Antey radars many years ago and we have fused that technology with many home grown ones. I am myself confused by many names that we gave them to hide this. We have been perfecting the interceptor radr for a long time. Every TSP no-dung have been successfully tracked. Rest of the details as agreed upon will not even be committed to paper.
Jai Hind!!
How did you get on this conference call?
R Sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Sharma »

Okay lets call it "Antriksh Baan"

Baan is arrow in Hindi. Trust me I got a D in hindi :P
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

George J wrote:Children:

Baan=Tir=Arrow
Kamaan=Dhanush=Bow

I am finding it very difficult to read this thread from exile. Some of you otherwise smart jingos/oraclites think that without you quoting the the ENTIRE FRIGGING post you are replying to (for a one line reply off course) it just wont do. Off course its just a suggestion. If you feel the urge to needlessly repeat an entire post to justify your inane one line reply please do so.

And whats with trying to jusitify to cretins on other boards about the ABM test. Are you here to learn and discuss or inflate your ego by trying to justify (using cut paste from BRF) on other boards? Many of those infidels and al-keeda already lurk on BRF. If they dont, then there is no point justifying anything to them. They already know more than DRDO does about its own AXO tests. Dont post inane links to what other forums think and how jingos need to mollify them.

As far as "phoren hand" in the AXO experiments. Please be kindly reading Wings of Fire* about what these so called experts thought of the first Prithvi tests. If you believe them there is nothing indigenous about Prithvi either.
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

Ramana,

I think it is like this.

I sit with a blank piece of paper and draw two intersecting lines representing a mid air collision between the target and the interceptor.

I say that the collision will occur at x altitude and that target will be launched exactly y seconds before interception. Target trajectory will be programmed into the target guidance, the intercept trajectory will be programmed into the interceptor guidance.

After target is launched I will turn on my radar and confirm that the target is not departing from trajectory.

I will launch by interceptor exactly y seconds after target launch and then I will monitor the interceptor trajectory on my radar.

I will turn on something in the interceptor head to confirm that the target is in close proximity before impact.

I will record the impact visually and on the radar.

This is more realistic than using a Mig-15 drone as a target because the Mig 15 is very large and can be made to stick to a trajectory easily. This is more realisitic than using a Lakshya as a target because it is too slow.

This way my DRDO has just proven that they can actually launch two missiles within some 50 seconds of each other in such a way that they collide in mid air at a predetermined point. This demonstrates an exceptional control over the launch and the missile trajectory.

The onus is now on the radar guys to come up with a rapid and accurate prediction of the trajectory but that is what I mean when I say baseline test.

The focus in missile development in the subcontinent has completely shifted.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Great news. Good work DRDO. If they have used the previous tests of Trishul, Akash and Prithvi for this, oh ho, more power to them. Drdo is evolving, even if a bit secrectly, esp if one goes by some accounts.

Unfortunately, some people will not get rest or their daily dose of security unless they see a foreign hand. Seesh
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

well just FYI, Kamaan is not bow, it is the bag where you hold the arrows, as in what is slung on the shoulders.
Also Kamaan is name of a very good friend of mine. So just be aware, Kamaan has many meanings and oh boy does not it adds to the confusion. I am ordering aspirine..
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Vijay J wrote:Ramana,

Target trajectory will be programmed into the target guidance, the intercept trajectory will be programmed into the interceptor guidance.

After target is launched I will turn on my radar and confirm that the target is not departing from trajectory.

I will launch by interceptor exactly y seconds after target launch and then I will monitor the interceptor trajectory on my radar.

I will turn on something in the interceptor head to confirm that the target is in close proximity before impact.

I will record the impact visually and on the radar.
If I may...
What value we are adding by doing this ?

FYI..some newspaper reported like 30 secs for search and detection and 50 secs to launch the missile.