Second Agni-III test -1

marimuthu
BRFite

Post by marimuthu »

Arun, You are right, It is indian tricolor, without chakra, in a horizontal position.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

ramana wrote:In the above Hindu report:
The maiden flight of the surface-to-surface missile on July 9 last year failed after it nose-dived into the sea within seconds of a smooth lift-off due to non-separation of the first and second stages. DRDO sources later attributed the failure to "material-related fault," besides problems with protective heat shield and propulsion.
All these were initial causes. The final root cause was control cable burn through due to F/S nozzle exhaust gases which were reentrant in the gap between the structure and the nozzle. The fix was a thermal shroud or bellows. The thing to remember is even without stage separation the vehicle flew over 1000km. one hell of a total impulse for the motors.
Brahma Vakya of Ramana guru needs no supporting fire.

Following is just another snippet on the subject.

Why did Agni-3 Fail?
Sunday, December 24, 2006 07:25:38 am

A thin stream of exhaust vapour, a few burnt cables...and India's most sophisticated weapon, with a range of 3,000 km, crashed after lift-off. Now, scientists investigating the crash of the Agni-3 have submitted their report to the Defence Ministry.

The report states that several minutes after lift-off, a pencil beam of hot exhaust fumes went back into the rocket and re-circulated inside, thus burning cables on one side which caused the crash. The fumes bypassed a metal plate that is designed exclusively to stop the reverse-flow.

So, what can be done? Scientists are now designing a new flexible heat shield {aka bellow: Arun_S} that would prevent the flow. Laboratory tests to choose the most effective replacement are in progress and the next Agni-3 launch is likely in May 2007. The new missile will have a longer range, a third-stage mechanism that will ensure its reach of over 4,000 km. For India's defence planning, the Agni-3 is crucial — it is capable of carrying nuclear weapons and is a deadly deterrent.

(By Srinjoy Chowdhury)
Defective heat shield caused Agni-3 failure: DRDO chief
Express News Service
Thursday, February 15, 2007

NEW DELHI, FEBRUARY 14 : The debut test-flight of India’s longest range ballistic missile, the 3,000-km range Agni-3, in July last year ended in failure because of a defective heat shield, DRDO chief M Natarajan said today. Versions of what went wrong have been put forth by numerous agencies since the test seven months ago, though this is the first time the man in charge has come forth with an official view.

“We have identified the problem. It was because of a defective heat shield. It is a problem that is easily resolvable. Now we have realised the need for a flexible heat shield,â€
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Do I see a 'new missile' and a 'third stage' mention in the article above.
So we now have a 15.1M long A-3++(2.0M dia) and a 13.4M A-4(1.8M dia), both have a third stage!
8) Surely fear of Gawd......

or "Nice....I like"....in Borat style
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Anurag: Sorry to dampen your joy. There is as yet no 1.8m rocket. I had to keep the pretense of 1.8m in BR article so as to not show Indian cards. The calculations were however always true to 2.0m dia confign.

OTOH I am keeping my fingers crossed on next test, it may very well be the 3 stage Fiery God's damnation for those who oppose Indian will.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

The new missile will have a longer range, a third-stage mechanism
I would be really keen to see this , But again DRDO could go cautious and get the 2 stage A-3 do one maiden sucessfull test , before they add the Third Stage , Though they may move over to composite structure for the 2nd Stage.

Wouldn't they prefer that they have one test of A-3 in current configuration and validate the entire parameter , After all A 3 has many new to its credit , Its infact a new missile , They had planned 3 Tests for A3 including one user per Agarwal.
“In 2007, our laboratories will have to continue their efforts on technology transfer and production of products such as MBT Arjun, Akash, Nag and possibly, Trishul.â€
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Austin bhai: Unki aisay hee fati hai, aur kyuon faadney kee boltay ho? 1000Kg to 5500. Check it out on ROCKSIM ! 500Kg to Ishwar janey kahan tak tapka dayga. Time to take panga with North-Korea 8), stir hornet nest to turn-up the heat on those who fear No-Korea, unkill kay musharaaf main laat maarnay waali baat.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

Link

BALASORE (ORISSA): India may test its homegrown nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-III from a military base in Orissa next week, official sources said on Saturday.

Hectic preparations are on for the test launch of the missile at the Integrated Test Range of Chandipur in Balasore district, about 230 km from Bhubaneswar, the sources said.

The missile, having a range of over 3,000 km, is expected to be test-fired from launching complex No. 4 of Inner Wheeler Island, a new launch site of the integrated test range (ITR) at the Chandipur defence base.
Apu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Apu »

India may test Agni-III missile next week :shock:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 869674.cms
BALASORE (ORISSA): India may test its homegrown nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-III from a military base in Orissa next week, official sources said on Saturday.

Hectic preparations are on for the test launch of the missile at the Integrated Test Range of Chandipur in Balasore district, about 230 km from Bhubaneswar, the sources said.

The missile, having a range of over 3,000 km, is expected to be test-fired from launching complex No. 4 of Inner Wheeler Island, a new launch site of the integrated test range (ITR) at the Chandipur defence base.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Article has Arun's previous drawing...

Agni III Long Ranged Ballistic Missile To Be Tested Next Week
We are not taking any chance this time and hope the new test would be successful,' a scientist told IANS.

Agni-III, one of the Agni series missiles, is capable of carrying warheads weighing up to 1.5 tonnes, is 16 metres tall and weighs 48 tonnes. While Agni-I is a short-range missile of 750-800 km, Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km.

'Agni-III, however, falls short of the range of ICBMs (inter-continental ballistic missiles), which have ranges over 5,000 km,' he added.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

I do get disconcerted when I see the media announcing future tests of Agni III etc as though they are public rallies....Should there not be more secrecy, with the test being reported only after it happens successfully ? moreover, wont this irresponsibility of the media aid any elements that may want to subvert the test /track the test ? sometimes i feel that the media ought to be muzzled....
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Agni 3 is a large missile and as it gets positioned for launch news of iminent launch will leak out particularly when evacuation of near by village starts.Being open assures better range safety and NOTAM is not a surprise .It is also part of recently agreed confidance building measures with pakistan.

Plus dont forget the spies in the sky surely many unkils sats are already in position to take photos realtime and record the launch thermal signature and video footage.

In todays world -very few things can be kept secret and that includes failures
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

Would any jingo kindly point me towards a url where one can punch in the approx. range of a missile on a world-map and see the area where Agni 3 can do some Agni-varsha?
Ajay M
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ajay M »

April 11 has been decided for the Agni++ launch .cheers and hope for the best
Sparsh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sparsh »

Arun,

The 3.6m length of the single warhead RV seems a bit too long. Is that indicative of the presence of a HAM/HAE on the A3?
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Arun_S wrote:Anurag: Sorry to dampen your joy. There is as yet no 1.8m rocket. I had to keep the pretense of 1.8m in BR article so as to not show Indian cards. The calculations were however always true to 2.0m dia confign.

OTOH I am keeping my fingers crossed on next test, it may very well be the 3 stage Fiery God's damnation for those who oppose Indian will.
So do we know if the last A-3 test was a 1.8 or 2.0 meter dia?

Yes, I am too keeping my fingers crossed on the 3rd stage for the next launch.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

India tests nuclear power with Agni-3

The Cabinet Committee on Security has cleared the test firing of the 3,000-km range, nuclear capable Agni-3 missile on April 11 from Wheeler's Island in the Bay of Bengal. If successful, it will extend the range of its nuclear weapons beyond India's immediate neighbourhood.

IBN Video
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Anurag wrote:
Arun_S wrote:Anurag: Sorry to dampen your joy. There is as yet no 1.8m rocket. I had to keep the pretense of 1.8m in BR article so as to not show Indian cards. The calculations were however always true to 2.0m dia confign.

So do we know if the last A-3 test was a 1.8 or 2.0 meter dia.
I think the quoted post clearly said there is no 1.8m dia missile, so last one is same as this one. 2.0M
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Thanks Arun. I wasn't sure if that was something you assumed or was known.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ramdas wrote:I do get disconcerted when I see the media announcing future tests of Agni III etc as though they are public rallies....Should there not be more secrecy, with the test being reported only after it happens successfully ? moreover, wont this irresponsibility of the media aid any elements that may want to subvert the test /track the test ? sometimes i feel that the media ought to be muzzled....
Nope.. it does not matter the cost and investments for incidentals.. the announced A3 tests and future announced tests boosts the strategic deterrence values 10 times when the systems goes successful.

The mere A3 tests itself is finger crossed for many nations under the umbrella.. hence a successful one would make them think twice to play strategic games with us.

furthermore, just extrapolate this to a hypothetical Sruya tests, that is to cover entire planet.

Perhaps, I think A4 becoming S1 is what makes it the candidate ICBM for the real super and greater powers (G5) not to wag their tails unnecessarily.

A3 will make Chinks go Shut~
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

2.0 meter diameter.

Can some kind soul please post a link that says that :?: .
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Rahul Shukla wrote:Would any jingo kindly point me towards a url ...
Shuklaji,

Try Great Circle Mapper

Use the second box, with format rangekm@airportcode

ie

5500km@del

or - just to satisfy intellectual curiousity

5000km@gau (5000km range from Guwahati)

It is limited to airport codes only, but useful to get a general idea. Have fun!

Also answers guruji's Q. on distances from one airport in the world to another.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

rsingh wrote:Chinese on A3 test in 2006

Pakistan Naji, director of the Institute of Peace and Conflict -> Agni-3 approach is totally meaningless, not worthy of attention. ..
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

AoA......Saik saar .......from where you got this emoticon :)
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Image[/quote]
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

Image Pakis and Chinkis are in denial that A3 is about to go too far up their musharraf and is going to hurt real bad...
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

Thanks for the url Shalav, :)

I was curious to see how far A3 can deliver 'flowers' if fired from the Eastern, Western, Northern and Southern corners of India. So I punched in some numbers in link provided by Shalav. Assuming Agni 3 range of 5,500km per BR Agni page, here are links that show the area of 'agni-varsha' if Agni 3 was fired from/around;

East: DIBRUGARH

West: AHMEDABAD

North: JAMMU

South: MADURAI
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

With a 700 kg warhead+rv you get a rather interesting

Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

IMHO longer range will be 3 stage Agni3++, but a single new RV style is very light and persuasive.

New bouquet estimated to be ~ 350-400Kg for TN and just 250Kg for boosted 50KT.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

For warhead alone?

What mass for the RV?
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Gerard wrote:With a 700 kg warhead+rv you get a rather interesting

Reminds me that Surya illuminates only half the earth at a time.

But "Agni Devtaa" is more prachand and envelops in its warmth the Mrytulok.
Last edited by Arun_S on 09 Apr 2007 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Gerard wrote:For warhead alone?

What mass for the RV?
Its the bouquet, flowers, letters and all.

Indian warhead onlee so ancient:
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

My elder brother used to say in his rustic rural Prayag Hindi:
"Phelay Samjhavan-Bujhavan, fir Taadan"

Crude translation to English: First Persuasion & Logic, after that Whack"
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Its the bouquet, flowers, letters and all.
Interesting..

Only the ancient Andean gods are deprived of Sri Kalam's flower petals...
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Arun_S wrote:IMHO longer range will be 3 stage Agni3++,
Was just wondering adding a 1 m long and 2 m dia 3rd stage with a weigh of 2.3 Tons to existing A-3 may give a long range , but could slightly affect its performance , by reducing its acceleration during its boost phase and during second stage , As they have to carry an additional 3rd stage with them
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Austin:Look carefully at Agni-3++ and Agni-3SL payload section there is room for the last stage. BTW US sub launched ICBM's use that style.

On your last point, adding a stage is a drag on lower stage but the range always comes out on top. Check it out on ROCKSIM.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Shalav. Thanks for that wonderful resource.

Rahul, one can get multiple ranges in one map also. Just input the characteristics onto the next line.

Extreme ranges

Ah shcks. London dur ast. :cry:
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

abhischekcc wrote:Ah shcks. London dur ast. :cry:
WTF "Bandar kay sar par chamali ka teal" Flatten an unsinkble aircraft carrier.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Arun_S wrote:
abhischekcc wrote:Ah shcks. London dur ast. :cry:
WTF "Bandar kay sar par chamali ka teal" Flatten an unsinkble aircraft carrier.
Hey, whoever suggested sinking Britain? But it would be gratifying to know that we can create our own version of 'British toast'.

Its like seeing a beautiful girl smile back at you, even when you are not expected to... do anything.