Second Agni-III test-2

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Sumeet wrote:Today i will have my lunch in the chinese restuarant & tip them very well today. If the waitress is hot chinese may be even hug her.
I have already done that .Both giving a tip with other extra curricular activities included :lol:
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

SaiK wrote:vsudhir.. its dated.. btw, still applicable. now i am thinking 4k and they must feel irrelevance or perhaps chinkies are asking them better counter the 4k walas, or else you would not get more missiles and nuke supplies.

sumeet, try spicy baby-corn-szechwan or something.. and avoid hot-waiters :twisted: . btw, for the waitress drop one agni shaped szechwan (red hot sauce dipped) corn into her mouth as well.

:wink:
What pervs on this forum :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

vsudhir wrote:A re-look at Porkiness in comments from Samar Mubarakdumb after last year's failed test....

Agni Missile designers are incompetent: Pakistan scientist

hah, who's laughing now, I wonder.
Samar Mubarak-e-bum-mund will now come with a new excuse and the second Agni-III test was not actually a sucess, but a failure. Perhaps we can invite him to BRF and pit him against BR's own missile guru - Arun. Samar-e-Bum Paindabad!

Arun: The image of the A3 launch and your graphic on the A3 are uncanny. You DA man! Keep up the good work. Just excellent!
vinayak_d
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vinayak_d »

Arun_S wrote:I have temporarilty move the old thread back to Military Issues & History Forum, so people can find it easier to see the flow.

Also would like to repost this from old thread.
Arun, I read through the articles you had written. They were pretty informative. But, I had a doubt regarding the payload. In your article you had mentioned that A-3 can carry upto 600-3960 kg of conventional load? So why is nuke payload restricted to 1.8 ton? Thanks in advance.
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

What are the chances of seeing 3 stage AIII test anytime in near future with current UPA/Commie govt. at helm? Till we have that 3-stage test P5 will try to put India in a bottle.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Zee news showed the video of the launch. All pure Agni-3 launch video.

What was most interesting was it also showed the two most important exhaust plume. In one shot the plume creates a corkscrew spiral and in an another one the plume wiggles like dog tail.

These maneuvers are done to waste programmed amount amount of energy generally to hit shorter range targets with a very short flight time (as compared to a lofted shot high up that will take 27 minutes to come down 1700km away. This is corroborated by the 15 min flight time.

Speaks volumes of the ASL/DRDO mastery of flex nozzle, math & software skills given that solid fuel stages have fixed impulse and the multi-order partial-differential calculus is not easy to solve, further add optimization to it & it becomes "Om Jai Jagdeesh Harey" complex.

Man this missile sure is good for ops under the sea.
Last edited by Arun_S on 12 Apr 2007 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/videos.aspx

Just watched ndtv video on agni.The news anchor highlighted that the missile gives a detterant from far off adversaries from beijing to diegogarcia
ashkrishna
BRFite

Post by ashkrishna »

i have reason to believe that there exists a rapid prototype model of the A-3 in my univ....i shall try to get its pic....

A small question, the SRE can be assumed to be a blunt body with a supersonic flowfield...

in the subsonic region of flow, the PD equation becomes elliptic , whereas in the supersonic region it tends to become hyperbolic, leading to an immense difficulty in finding a solution.... Agni however is not so close an aproximation to the blunt body and i donot believe that it moves in a supersonic flow field during launch...however, during reentry....it would be extremely possible that the same CFD techniques that were used in the flow analysis of the SRE were used in agni too...considering the success of both projects, can we confrim tjat ISRO had an even more significant input into A-3
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Congrats to DRDO on this achievement!

Arun: how do the energy dissipation maneuvers fit in with the requirements of sub sea launching ? What are the additional requirements to enable stable submerged cold launch ejection and ignition of stage 1 ? I assume the issues would be a combination of greater stability/control system management, and propulsion control management. Are these requirements significantly greater in a submerged cold launch as compared to a stable road/rail mobile platform that has already been demonstrated in this test ?

IMHO, increasing range or number of stages is not as much an issue as much as two others (beyond technical considerations involving RV thermal integrity in lofted mode and missile integrity in depressed mode, the latter being already demonstrated now) :
a) Proven underwater launch, say from the pontoon platform, using gas ejected expulsion.
b) Validating the MIRV bus, not just for functionality, but accuracy and effectiveness.
Naidu
BRFite

Post by Naidu »

Arun_S wrote: What was most interesting was it also showed the two most important exhaust plume. In one shot the plume creates a spiral and in an another one the plume wiggles like dog tail.

These maneuvers are done to waste programmed amount amount of energy generally to hit shorter range targets with a very short flight time (as compared to a lofted shot high up that will take 27 minutes to come down 1700km away. This is corroborated by the 15 time flight time.
So, Arun can you elaborate on how exactly this energy wasting technique works?

If the thrust is going in all different directions (spirals and dog wags), wouldn't the missile also wobble all over the place eventually losing control? I do not see any control fins on the vehicle, so I'm struggling to understand how flight control is achieved with non-linear thrust. Are the flex nozzles employed in addition to the primary engine nozzles to bleed off the excess energy not required to reach the target?

Just trying to understand how the flex nozzles are employed to bleed off excess energy. Thanks!
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Suraj wrote:Congrats to DRDO on this achievement!

Arun: how do the energy dissipation maneuvers fit in with the requirements of sub sea launching ? What are the additional requirements to enable stable submerged cold launch ejection and ignition of stage 1 ? I assume the issues would be a combination of greater stability/control system management, and propulsion control management. Are these requirements significantly greater in a submerged cold launch as compared to a stable road/rail mobile platform that has already been demonstrated in this test ?
Upon resurfacing the missile may be at an slanted attitude with a turning momemt thus the booster motor must have flex thrust capabelity to control and bring it to desired attitude. There lieas the importance of first stage engine to be flex nozzle.
Suraj wrote:IMHO, increasing range or number of stages is not as much an issue as much as two others (beyond technical considerations involving RV thermal integrity in lofted mode and missile integrity in depressed mode, the latter being already demonstrated now) :
a) Proven underwater launch, say from the pontoon platform, using gas ejected expulsion.
b) Validating the MIRV bus, not just for functionality, but accuracy and effectiveness.

IMO the Indian stuff is unlikely use MIRV bus concept. Each new RV will have enough fuel and small thrusters for dispersion and correction.

sub-surface launch ! only I keep seeing ripples in the water. More in F2F discussion.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Naidu wrote:So, Arun can you elaborate on how exactly this energy wasting technique works?

If the thrust is going in all different directions (spirals and dog wags), wouldn't the missile also wobble all over the place eventually losing control? I do not see any control fins on the vehicle, so I'm struggling to understand how flight control is achieved with non-linear thrust. Are the flex nozzles employed in addition to the primary engine nozzles to bleed off the excess energy not required to reach the target?

Just trying to understand how the flex nozzles are employed to bleed off excess energy. Thanks!
Arun Saar can correct me.

With spirals you get a toroidal force, the centre of the force is at the same point but more energy is spent behind generating a toroidal force, hence the missile will not wobble, but will spend more energy to generate the same thrust. The dog wags is to control the attitude.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Naidu wrote:
Arun_S wrote: What was most interesting was it also showed the two most important exhaust plume. In one shot the plume creates a spiral and in an another one the plume wiggles like dog tail.

These maneuvers are done to waste programmed amount amount of energy generally to hit shorter range targets with a very short flight time (as compared to a lofted shot high up that will take 27 minutes to come down 1700km away. This is corroborated by the 15 time flight time.
So, Arun can you elaborate on how exactly this energy wasting technique works?

No bleed flow. Just divert the nozzle to describe a circle. This pertubation will affect the missile control, but if the Evil Yindu's know their software, it will still stay in control and always converge. Every rocket has a small angle within with the thrust direction can be changed. Then on top of it one needs to factor in aerodynamics inposed forced (due to slip stream); and it all need to converge.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

venkat_r wrote: :wink:..What pervs on this forum :)
its said only like minds communicate well on the same topic. any response -is a- communication! . :D .
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Flex nozzle gives the additional advantage of avoiding possible boost phase ,cruise phase intercept and this together with possible decoy load in RV makes agni3 almost impossible to intercept by any anti missile system available today

Vectoring the thrust in climb/flight phase of the missile reduces the linear acceleration reducing range to to target and terminal reentry speed whih in itself adds whole lot of possibility en how the weapon system will be eventually configured and used
It also tests the structure to much higher aerodynamic loading possible simulating higher reentry velocity likely at max range without actually
doing it . The test obviously had lot off sub test programes built in.

Still don't understand why everyone is calling it an IRBM .It is surely way beyond IRBM (1500-2500 km) .The demonstrated range and pay load clearly puts it in upper MRBM range and possibly lower ICBM catagory

It is high time we start calling it agni missile system instead of agni IRBM
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

AFLEXIBLE seal movable nozzle thrust vector control
(TVC) system that offers reductions in actuation system
requirements of greater than 10:1 for future first stage ICBM
motors has been demonstrated on a subscale motor firing.
This system, the Dual Flex, employs two separate flexible
seals: a servoseal with a forward pivot location, and the main
seal with an aft pivot location. In operation, the servoseal is
deflected by an actuator in the normal manner, thus shifting
the nozzle blowout load so that it exerts a torque on the main
seal, causing it to deflect until its resisting torque equals the
generated torque. The nozzle actually pivots about an
effective pivot location between the two seals. Required
actuator force is very low, resulting in a significant reduction in
actuator power requirements.
The flexible seal movable nozzle has proven to be a highly
reliable, low cost TVC system, It is presently used on both
stages of a sea launched ballistic missile and has been demonstrated
on motors up to 156 in. in diameter. The one major
drawback of the flexible seal is its relatively high torque.
Numerous design studies have been completed to determine
methods of reducing nozzle torques.
One approach would be to accept the highly reliable flexible
seal with its high spring rate and superior structural properties
and find more efficient means of providing the force to turn the
nozzle. It is this approach that the Dual Flex concept takes.
By providing a second seal assembly to act as a servoseal, it is
possible to use the nozzle blowout load to provide the major
portion of the power required for vectoring. The required
actuator force is low, as is the actuator stroke, resulting in a
significant reduction in actuator horsepower requirements.
The Dual Flex nozzle concept therefore uses standard, developed
components in a unique configuration designed to utilize
the nozzle blowout load as the power source for the major
portion of the actuation.
http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JSR/1972/PVJAPRE61745.pdf
Sadler
BRFite

Post by Sadler »

Is the range 3000 or 4000 KMs? The video indicated 4K range while the newscaster spoke of a 3K range.

PS. Congratulations to Indians and BRF on reaching this important milestone. I could not help but smirk a bit when i read the reaction of the Red Dragon.
Last edited by Sadler on 13 Apr 2007 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I think if we qualify the target (like china in here), then Agni 3 or 4 could become an ICBM. qualifying places includes Australia, Europe, Africa & Middle-East, Russia, the whole world except the maasa land.

once maasa land is the qualified target, then there would be a renaming ceremony for an augmented Agni.. meaning having found the ultimate target Agni(Fire)->Surya (Sun).

But, I don't think we are challenging ourselves for a SOHO experiment. May be in the near future. Lets say 2012.
Sahastra
BRFite -Trainee

From down the memory lanes

Post by Sahastra »

One of my first posts on BRF. Just couldn't help revisiting it.

Agni-I/SR: Strategic Implications (Thread 2)
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... highlight=

Congrats to all involved on in making us feel proud after the sheer dejection of the last failure.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Sadler wrote:Is the range 3000 or 4000 KMs? The video indicated 4K range while the newscaster spoke of a 3K range.
Can anyone answer this please ! most websites are quoting "over 3000KMs" while some are quoting 4000KMs and some more are quoting 3500-4500 KMs !
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Sahastra: Welcome back.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Well, the range will depend on the payload won't it? With smaller payload, range could be 5000 km. Arun_S can you please do a Rocksim analysis?
Sahastra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sahastra »

Thanks Arun.

I just couldn't resist peeking to see how the esteemed BRites are celebrating this news.

I doubt if i have visited the forum since eternity but even that doesn't explain how i have 18 posts against my name considering there was a time when i was averaging close to 50 posts per day :).

Wondering if KaushalGuru, Chanakya, Matt Thundyall, Rakesh Koshy, Umrao Jaan etc. still lurk around.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

One of the best news coverage.

India tests intermediate range nuclear capable missile
From correspondents in Delhi, India, 12:03 AM IST

Indian scientists successfully tested a fire-and-forget Agni-III Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) Thursday.

Fired from the Wheeler Island in the Bay of Bengal on India's eastern coast, the missile reached its designated target in 15 minutes in the Indian Ocean, proving the success of the Made-in-India propulsion and guidance systems, Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman Sitanshu Kar told IANS.

He did not say how far the dummy target was but indications are that it was around 3,000-km away, and the impact of the missile's kinetic energy and the explosion of the single, conventional warhead had the desired result.

'It was a textbook launch with precision hit,' Kar said adding that ground control did not guide the missile although stations along India's eastern coast, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and two naval ships monitored the flight path.

Details are likely to be made public after the test parameters are assessed and a report of the newly acquired capability is submitted to the government.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Minister of State for Defence Pallam Raju, Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutt and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) head M. Natarajan congratulated the team of scientists behind the test.

The test was 'an impressive illustration of the indigenous capacity developed by our scientists and technologists in mastering strategic high technologies essential for maintaining the nation's defence and security', the prime minister said in his message.

Antony said the 'Agni-III test has confirmed India's strategic capability for a minimum credible deterrence'.

Defence sources told IANS that Indian scientists were working on putting multiple warheads on the missile.

There is a substantial use of lightweight carbon composite materials in the two-stage Agni-III, but after some more tests and further development, its weight would be reduced to give it multiple warhead capability.

The 16-metre Agni-III weighed 48 tonnes and carried a warhead of 1.5 tonnes.

An IRBM is a missile with 3,000 to 5,000 km range, while missiles with longer reach are designated Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBMs). There are nearly a dozen types of IRBMs in the world, including with North Korea and China, who shared their technology with Pakistan and Iran as well.

The missile can be launched from various platforms, including from submarines if their size is compatible. As India is already working on submarine-launched BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, it should not be a very difficult task to achieve submarine-launched IRBM capability.

Thursday's test, however, was conducted from a specially-built, mobile railway pad, indicating that it would be deployed in numbers from east to west to ensure secondary strike capability as part of the country's No-First-Use-But-Massive-Retaliation policy.

'The trajectory of Agni-III was computed by the onboard computer system based on the launch and target coordinates. During the flight, the missile had no communication with the ground systems and was fully 'intelligent' to reach its designated target,' a defence ministry statement said.

'The entire flight of approximately 15 minutes validated all mission objectives, primarily to establish the performance of the two-stage propulsion system and the flexible nozzle control system developed by DRDO scientists for the very first time,' it said.

Speaking after the launch, Natarajan made a specific reference to the high degree of self-reliance achieved with Agni-III as most of its sub-systems have been developed within the country.

Referring to the failure of the previous Agni-III test, he said: 'With this success, the design team is happy that the problems faced in the previous attempt on July 9 last year have been fully understood and solved.'

According to mission director Avinash Chander, Thursday's test had proven many of the technologies developed by DRDO.

These included the flexible nozzle controls of the rocket motor during the powered phase, the specially developed composite propellant for the rocket, guidance and control systems with inbuilt fault tolerant avionics, and the withstanding of the severe aero-thermal environment experienced during the re-entry phase, as also coordinated mission management.

Agni means fire in Hindi. Two shorter-range versions of namesake missiles are already in deployment.

Agni-III is the most advanced of the Agni series of missiles. It carries fuel both for propulsion and mid-course corrections if required to fine-tune itself with pre-programmed target coordinates.

Agni-I is a 750-800 km short-range missile while Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Sahastra wrote:Thanks Arun.

I just couldn't resist peeking to see how the esteemed BRites are celebrating this news.

I doubt if i have visited the forum since eternity but even that doesn't explain how i have 18 posts against my name considering there was a time when i was averaging close to 50 posts per day :).

Wondering if KaushalGuru, Chanakya, Matt Thundyall, Rakesh Koshy, Umrao Jaan etc. still lurk around.
Strange it is.
All folks are here except KaushalGuru; in his words he was hounded out by BR admins. He setup a new universe at www.India-Forum.com you can find him there. Chanakya vanished. That is the reason MMS Govt is floundering in lovefest.
Sahastra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sahastra »

Arun_S wrote:Strange it is.
All folks are here except KaushalGuru; in his words he was hounded out by BR admins. He setup a new universe at www.India-Forum.com you can find him there. Chanakya vanished. That is the reason MMS Govt is floundering in lovefest.
Thanks Arun and my apologies to all others for diverting the thread a little bit away from the subject.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Rony wrote:
Sadler wrote:Is the range 3000 or 4000 KMs? The video indicated 4K range while the newscaster spoke of a 3K range.
Can anyone answer this please ! most websites are quoting "over 3000KMs" while some are quoting 4000KMs and some more are quoting 3500-4500 KMs !
Indian national motto: :"Satyam Eva Jayate" (Truth always triumphs).

But that is advertisement department (dont start to believe in it), in reality Indians have cognitive dissonances and can't face or handle the truth, or communicate truthfully. Hence everyone blows his own trumpet on Agni mileage. We onlee like this.

Who said India invented number system or trigonometry. Just bunch fools who cant even make the numbers coherent ;) And here I am at BR with math/science based analysis to rant off range that are unbelievably long. Hey but that because Indians are jaded in inertial and the local gravity is much higher in our dense brains (thus shorter range).

I cant but miss the s.....
Last edited by Arun_S on 13 Apr 2007 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

PS. Congratulations to Indians and BRF on reaching this important milestone. I could not help but smirk a bit when i read the reaction of the Red Dragon.
Thanks boss. We wish you success in your own projects. Sholom.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

sivab wrote:What are the chances of seeing 3 stage AIII test anytime in near future with current UPA/Commie govt. at helm? Till we have that 3-stage test P5 will try to put India in a bottle.
I believe Agni-3++ test is much sooner than most people expect.
Rejoice for Truth has spaken. :twisted:
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Another great news report. Where else but the great state of Kalinga (Orrisa).

Kalinga Times.
India tests intermediate range nuclear capable missile
By Gulshan Luthra
New Delhi: Indian scientists successfully tested a fire-and-forget Agni-III Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) Thursday.

Fired from the Wheeler Island in the Bay of Bengal on India's eastern coast, the missile reached its designated target in 15 minutes in the Indian Ocean, proving the success of the Made-in-India propulsion and guidance systems, Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman Sitanshu Kar told IANS.

He did not say how far the dummy target was but indications are that it was around 3,000-km away, and the impact of the missile's kinetic energy and the explosion of the single, conventional warhead had the desired result.

"It was a textbook launch with precision hit," Kar said adding that ground control did not guide the missile although stations along India's eastern coast, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and two naval ships monitored the flight path.

Details are likely to be made public after the test parameters are assessed and a report of the newly acquired capability is submitted to the government.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Minister of State for Defence Pallam Raju, Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutt and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) head M. Natarajan congratulated the team of scientists behind the test.

The test was "an impressive illustration of the indigenous capacity developed by our scientists and technologists in mastering strategic high technologies essential for maintaining the nation's defence and security", the prime minister said in his message.

Antony said the "Agni-III test has confirmed India's strategic capability for a minimum credible deterrence".

Defence sources told IANS that Indian scientists were working on putting multiple warheads on the missile.

There is a substantial use of lightweight carbon composite materials in the two-stage Agni-III, but after some more tests and further development, its weight would be reduced to give it multiple warhead capability.

The 16-metre Agni-III weighed 48 tonnes and carried a warhead of 1.5 tonnes.

An IRBM is a missile with 3,000 to 5,000 km range, while missiles with longer reach are designated Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBMs). There are nearly a dozen types of IRBMs in the world, including with North Korea and China, who shared their technology with Pakistan and Iran as well.

The missile can be launched from various platforms, including from submarines if their size is compatible. As India is already working on submarine-launched BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, it should not be a very difficult task to achieve submarine-launched IRBM capability.

Thursday's test, however, was conducted from a specially-built, mobile railway pad, indicating that it would be deployed in numbers from east to west to ensure secondary strike capability as part of the country's No-First-Use-But-Massive-Retaliation policy.

"The trajectory of Agni-III was computed by the onboard computer system based on the launch and target coordinates. During the flight, the missile had no communication with the ground systems and was fully 'intelligent' to reach its designated target," a defence ministry statement said.

"The entire flight of approximately 15 minutes validated all mission objectives, primarily to establish the performance of the two-stage propulsion system and the flexible nozzle control system developed by DRDO scientists for the very first time," it said.

Speaking after the launch, Natarajan made a specific reference to the high degree of self-reliance achieved with Agni-III as most of its sub-systems have been developed within the country.

Referring to the failure of the previous Agni-III test, he said: "With this success, the design team is happy that the problems faced in the previous attempt on July 9 last year have been fully understood and solved."

According to mission director Avinash Chander, Thursday's test had proven many of the technologies developed by DRDO.

These included the flexible nozzle controls of the rocket motor during the powered phase, the specially developed composite propellant for the rocket, guidance and control systems with inbuilt fault tolerant avionics, and the withstanding of the severe aero-thermal environment experienced during the re-entry phase, as also coordinated mission management.

Agni means fire in Hindi. Two shorter-range versions of namesake missiles are already in deployment.

Agni-III is the most advanced of the Agni series of missiles. It carries fuel both for propulsion and mid-course corrections if required to fine-tune itself with pre-programmed target coordinates.

Agni-I is a 750-800 km short-range missile while Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km. –IANS
ShibaPJ
BRFite

Post by ShibaPJ »

From who else, but Rajat Pandit.. Does not have a good word to say about DRDO, technologies demonstrated.. Sure, we will see lot more bile in the coming days from him and his elk...
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Now this one reports more Indian Nuclear weapons 100-150 nuke weapons. Looks like New Zeland is having renaissance.

India tests longest-range ballistic missile
Reuters | Friday, 13 April 2007

BHUBANESWAR: India has carried out a successful test of its longest-range ballistic missile, the Agni III, which is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead more than 3000 km, scientists said.

Defence analysts say the Agni III is primarily designed to counter the military strength of China, which also has nuclear weapons, while shorter-range versions of the missile have been developed with long-time rival Pakistan in mind.

The launch of the longest-range Agni, which means "fire" in the Sanskrit language, came after a failed test last July when the missile plunged into the Bay of Bengal after take-off.

"Yes, the test was absolutely successful," W Selvamurthy, a senior official of the Defence Research and Development Organisation, which designed the missile, told Reuters.

"We are absolutely satisfied with all the results and we have rectified the errors of last year's failure. It met all the target coordinates," he said.

The missile was launched from Wheeler island off India's eastern coast.

India has around 100 to 150 nuclear warheads and staged tests in 1974 and 1998.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

PM congratulates Agni-III team for successful test fire
From our ANI Correspondent

New Delhi, Apr 12: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today congratulated all those associated with the successful flight-test of the intermediate range ballistic missile Agni-III from the Wheeler Island, off the coast of Orissa early this morning.

"It is an impressive illustration of the indigenous capacity developed by our scientists and technologists in mastering strategic high technologies essential for maintaining the nation's defence and security," Singh said in a message conveyed to the Agni-III team.

The missile, which has a range of over 3,000 km, was test-fired from Wheeler's Island in the Bay of Bengal, close to the coast in Bhadrak district. It was the second test launch of the missile.

The Agni-III was test-fired unsuccessfully from the same range on July 9, 2006. The missile failed to separate from its launch vehicle and plunged into the sea.

Sixteen metres in height, the Agni-III weighs 48 tons and is capable of carrying conventional and nuclear warheads weighing upto 1.8 tonnes.
atma
BRFite

Geopolitical implications of Agni 3

Post by atma »

I scoured the net to find reports of this momentous occasion for all Indians in the International press. Most of them including VOA, AP, Reuters, Pravada, Peoples daily, etc gave no Strategic or geopolitical analysis. This report in UK's Register does, thought I'd post it

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/12 ... _iii_test/
Under US pressure, New Delhi actually announced it was cancelling Agni in 1995. At that time India was unwilling to publicly admit that it had aspirations toward nuclear weapons, and the Agni rockets made little sense without atomic warheads.

Time's moved on and subsequent generations of New Delhi politicians were avowedly pro-nuclear. Successful atom-bomb tests were carried out, and the Agni missile programme moved forward. The first trial for Agni-III took place in July last year, but was unsuccessful. Now it appears that India will soon be able to menace its most powerful neighbours, though in fact relations with both Pakistan and China have grown significantly chummier in recent times.

Some analysts would suggest that in the absence of a standoff with any regional power, the primary usefulness of the Agni-III might be to enhance India's global status. Many in India feel that their nation should have a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, like the UK, US, France, China, and Russia. Today's announcement may strengthen this lobby somewhat.

However, purely in terms of weapons technology, a nuclear-tipped Agni-III isn't quite top-table stuff. The permanent five all deploy the gold standard of atomic deterrents: triple-stage intercontinental rockets ranging beyond 5,000km, launched from invulnerable nuclear-propelled submarines.

That said, Indians might point out that the UK has no indigenous rocket industry of its own and has to buy its missiles from America. British chauvinists would no doubt counter by pointing out that India hasn't yet built nuclear submarines, arguably an equally complex technology. However, some reports indicate that India might have home-grown nuclear boats at sea as soon as 2010.

Such arguments might be rendered somewhat irrelevant by the Security Council's typical paralysis on any given issue (due, perhaps, to the existing big five being unable ever to agree). The level of genuine national benefit conferred by a permanent UNSC seat is a matter of opinion, and there can't be a lot of doubt that it would become less valuable if more countries had one. It's also possible to suggest that awards of enhanced UN status as a result of weapons tests might send the wrong message to other aspirant nations.

None of that will dampen a certain sense of satisfaction in New Delhi today.
Last edited by atma on 13 Apr 2007 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

From the premier South Korean newspaper, Chosun Ilbo:
India Tests Missile Capable of Carrying Nuclear Warhead to Beijing
India has successfully test-launched a ballistic missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads across much of Asia and the Middle East. India's defense ministry says the second attempt to launch an Agni Three missile went off with "textbook precision" Thursday morning from an island off the east coast.

Most of India's existing arsenal is designed to counter its neighbor and arch-rival, Pakistan. But experts say the Agni Three, with a range of more than 3,000 kilometers, would be able to carry a 300-kiloton nuclear warhead all the way to Beijing, or to the Middle East.

However, the former head of India's Institute for Defense Studies and Analyses, Uday Bhaskar, downplays concerns that the launch should be seen as a new offensive threat.

"Today's test should not be seen as anti-China. All these countries, whether it is China or Pakistan or, for that matter, Iran, are aware of the current Indian profile that ensures that countries are able to accommodate each other's strategic anxieties and aspirations," said Bhaskar.

India began developing the third-generation missile at a time when relations with Beijing were much cooler than they are today.

A previous Agni Three test launch last July ended in failure when the second stage did not separate, and the missile fell into the Bay of Bengal.

The Ministry of Defense issued a statement after the latest launch saying India had "matured in the missile technology area" and is now "at par with many other developed countries."
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Bravo Bravo

India Tests Missile Able to Hit China
[quote]AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, BHUBANESWAR, India

India announced April 12 a successful test-firing of a nuclear-capable intermediate-range ballistic missile that can reach the Chinese cities of Beijing and Shanghai.

The Agni-III missile was launched from Wheeler Island, 180 kilometers (110 miles) northeast of Bhubaneswar, capital of the eastern state of Orissa.

“The 16-metre-long (52-feet) missile weighing 48 tons lifted off successfully from its rail mobile launcher system leaving a trail of orange and yellow smoke,â€
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Chronology of Agni test firings.

BALASORE: Chronology of test firings of the Agni series of missiles from test ranges in the Orissa coast:

May 22, 1989: Agni-I (01) Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur-on-Sea

May 29, 1992: Agni-I (02) ITR at Chandipur-on-Sea (failed)

February 19, 1994: Agni-I (03) ITR at Chandipur-on-Sea

April 11, 1999: Agni-II(01) ITR at Wheeler's Island

January 17, 2001: Agni-II(02) ITR at Chandipur-on-Sea

January 25, 2002: Agni-I ITR at Chandipur-on-Sea

January 9, 2003: Agni-I ITR at Wheeler's Island

July 4, 2003: Agni-I ITR at Wheeler's Island

August 29, 2004: Agni-II (03) ITR at Wheeler's Island

July 9, 2006: Agni-III(01) ITR at Wheeler's Island (failed)

April 12, 2007: Agni-III(02) ITR at Wheeler's Island
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Eh?
India has around 100 to 150 nuclear warheads and staged tests in 1974 and 1998.
A Reuters report that did not mention "tit for tat" tests by India and Pakistan, Kashmir etc etc ?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Regarding the A3-SL estimated drawing... where is the closed interstage?